PDA

View Full Version : Student Loans

57Brave
02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
This might help someone

http://www.studentloanadvicecenter.com/qualify3.html?utm_source=twitter

sturg33
02-17-2015, 04:41 PM
What really helped me was learning the discipline to save and understand my own financial commitments that allowed me to quickly pay my debt off. This also helped me for the present and for the future.

Dalyn
02-17-2015, 04:57 PM
What really helped me was learning the discipline to save and understand my own financial commitments that allowed me to quickly pay my debt off. This also helped me for the present and for the future.

http://rollonfriday.com/Images/JamieH/Images/rounders10.gif

gilesfan
02-17-2015, 05:01 PM
I guess I shouldn't have paid mine off already.

Hey, I'm about to take on some more student debt, can I apply for that afterwards?

57Brave
02-18-2015, 08:30 AM

I have a friend that hiked the Appalachian Trail, Georgia to Maine.

57Brave
02-18-2015, 08:38 AM
I guess I shouldn't have paid mine off already.

Hey, I'm about to take on some more student debt, can I apply for that afterwards?

Actually Sen Warren , President Obama and others are working to regulate student loan policies.
Perhaps alleviating your future debt load

sturg33
02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Actually Sen Warren , President Obama and others are working to regulate student loan policies.
Perhaps alleviating your future debt load

Sweet... so we can borrow money and don't have to pay it back!?? Who's paying it back?

57Brave
02-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Sweet... so we can borrow money and don't have to pay it back!?? Who's paying it back?

You -- obviously didnt even bother to open the link.

I didnt post it to argue or make a point. I thought perhaps someone here might be buried in student loan debt and wasn't aware of this program.

No more - no less

Dalyn
02-18-2015, 01:34 PM

I'm thinking we should go with a Repo Man approach and send Emilio Estevez and Jude Law after people who don't pay. Just have to find the right grey matter exchange rate.

yeezus
02-19-2015, 12:46 PM

That's...not even what was said?

yeezus
02-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Poor Sallie Mae :'( they may not be able to **** over desperate college students as much anymore. how are their CEOs going to handle a smaller salary/bonus though? this is the real victim here.

it's amazing how people like to treat corporations in a more humane way than actual people.

Tapate50
02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking we should go with a Repo Man approach and send Emilio Estevez and Jude Law after people who don't pay. Just have to find the right grey matter exchange rate.

I don't think we are looking to Emilio Estevez enough to solve some of the issues at play in our country.

Dalyn
02-19-2015, 05:12 PM
I don't think we are looking to Emilio Estevez enough to solve some of the issues at play in our country.

I agree.

NinersSBChamps
02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
The real issue is not being able to find a job post college education. I mean I am still in school and I can imagine how difficult it will be to get a job once I am finished. I work part time and it took six months of looking to finally land my trash job I currently have.

zitothebrave
02-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Because it's all a sham, no matter what they tell you, the truth is that if you're gonna get a job, education is just a barrier they can often use to shut down someone they don't want otherwise

chop2chip
02-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Because it's all a sham, no matter what they tell you, the truth is that if you're gonna get a job, education is just a barrier they can often use to shut down someone they don't want otherwise
This is silly. Every single bit of research ever performed shows that higher levels of education (particularly in the STEM fields) correlates strongly with productivity.

zitothebrave
02-20-2015, 12:36 AM
This is silly. Every single bit of research ever performed shows that higher levels of education (particularly in the STEM fields) correlates strongly with productivity.

That's because you're including folks who couldn't go to school because a learning/social/whatever disability. While certain educations and many other things can lead to better workers and better paying jobs, having a degree is like the new form of entitlement. "I went to school, so I shouldn't be doing X" well maybe if you showed something in the workplace you'd get that job. There was literally someone at Verizon who said that to me, I laughed at her and told her to sell more and maybe she gets promoted.

chop2chip
02-20-2015, 12:49 AM
That's because you're including folks who couldn't go to school because a learning/social/whatever disability. While certain educations and many other things can lead to better workers and better paying jobs, having a degree is like the new form of entitlement. "I went to school, so I shouldn't be doing X" well maybe if you showed something in the workplace you'd get that job. There was literally someone at Verizon who said that to me, I laughed at her and told her to sell more and maybe she gets promoted.
I don't know the model specifications of these studies and whether or not they control for those forms of disability.

I'm not going to argue that there are jobs where education isn't as important, but for all the skilled labor jobs this is undoubtedly the case.

Krgrecw
02-20-2015, 12:53 AM

People with learning,social and welfare disabilities can't go to college?

zitothebrave
02-20-2015, 01:00 AM
People with learning,social and welfare disabilities can't go to college?

Not what I said, if you were to compare, you'd find the numbers skewed as I said.

zitothebrave
02-20-2015, 01:13 AM
I don't know the model specifications of these studies and whether or not they control for those forms of disability.

I'm not going to argue that there are jobs where education isn't as important, but for all the skilled labor jobs this is undoubtedly the case.

I would say most jobs don't require education, I mean obviously some do (like doctors of course)

Not even joking, what happened to on the job training? It's a scam that universities do to make money.

gilesfan
02-20-2015, 09:33 AM
I would say most jobs don't require education, I mean obviously some do (like doctors of course)

Not even joking, what happened to on the job training? It's a scam that universities do to make money.

I love the uneducated folks. They are a hoot.

NinersSBChamps
02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
I love the uneducated folks. They are a hoot.

Please explain.

gilesfan
02-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Please explain.

Do you even read Zito?

zitothebrave
02-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Do you even read Zito?

Whoa, that's an absolutely nonsensical reply. Either you used to the wrong tense of do, or you are missing a comma if you intended to burn him by comparing him to me. Not to mention if it's the former, you should specify what you're asking him if he read. As my posts range a whole spectrum of shenanigans. So I'm guessing you weren't an English major for your so important college degree.

yeezus
02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Whoa, that's an absolutely nonsensical reply. Either you used to the wrong tense of do, or you are missing a comma if you intended to burn him by comparing him to me. Not to mention if it's the former, you should specify what you're asking him if he read. As my posts range a whole spectrum of shenanigans. So I'm guessing you weren't an English major for your so important college degree.

he routinely uses "than" and "then wrong" as well as using contractions incorrectly (or not using them when they're appropriate).
He is hardly a beacon of intelligence.

gilesfan
02-23-2015, 12:35 PM

I lol'ed. You can critique that as well.

gilesfan
02-23-2015, 12:38 PM
he routinely uses "than" and "then wrong" as well as using contractions incorrectly (or not using them when they're appropriate).
He is hardly a beacon of intelligence.

Especially not on a message board.

I have a bachelor's degree in finance and am on the way to a master's degree in real estate from a University with an acceptance rate of ~30% so I consider myself doing ok in the intelligence department.

yeezus
02-23-2015, 12:41 PM

I have a bachelor's degree in finance and am on the way to a master's degree in real estate from a University with an acceptance rate of ~30% so I consider myself doing ok in the intelligence department.

I love the "but it's a message board!" excuse. No, typing "then," incorrectly, is no easier than typing "than." You just don't really know the difference, or when to apply it.
My cousin graduated valedictorian from both high school and college and she's kind of a dummy, so I'm quite impressed with your credentials.

NinersSBChamps
02-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I don't have a college degree. Imma dummie.

gilesfan
02-23-2015, 02:14 PM
I love the "but it's a message board!" excuse. No, typing "then," incorrectly, is no easier than typing "than." You just don't really know the difference, or when to apply it.
My cousin graduated valedictorian from both high school and college and she's kind of a dummy, so I'm quite impressed with your credentials.

Your use of quotes on something that wasn't an actual quote is wrong here.

Also, you shouldn't use an indefinite article (a, an) after a classification term.

chop2chip
02-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Well yes. There are certainly some jobs that would benefit from on the job training. In fact, I work for an economics firm as a consultant and the position I worked required a lot of on the job training, but I can promise you I wouldn't remotely be prepared for that line of work with out my bachelors in math and economics.

Universities aren't scams. Just because it doesn't prepare you to be a better cell phone salesman doesn't mean that being educated doesn't help you with most skilled labor positions.

chop2chip
02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
I don't have a college degree. Imma dummie.
Well if you are attending college with the expectation that it's worthless then I would characterize you as a dummy.

chop2chip
02-23-2015, 07:52 PM

What type of work are you involved in Giles?

Just out of curiosity. I love talking to finance people.

gilesfan
02-23-2015, 07:58 PM
What type of work are you involved in Giles?

Just out of curiosity. I love talking to finance people.

I am in commercial real estate. Background in finance certainly helped my position and helped me get into grad school.

And yea college is probably worthless for the types of jobs zito gets.

How do you like econ? I was well on my way to econ degree before switching to finance.

zitothebrave
02-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Well yes. There are certainly some jobs that would benefit from on the job training. In fact, I work for an economics firm as a consultant and the position I worked required a lot of on the job training, but I can promise you I wouldn't remotely be prepared for that line of work with out my bachelors in math and economics.

Universities aren't scams. Just because it doesn't prepare you to be a better cell phone salesman doesn't mean that being educated doesn't help you with most skilled labor positions.

No they are scams. They help you with certain things. But they're hardly necessary. You think film school is really necessary? Dance school? Art school in general? You need a computer science degree to work IT?

To drive that last one home. There's a guy I've worked with who didn't graduate highschool (got a GED later) he's A+ certified, Microsoft Certified and CISCO certified.

College for many jobs is just a very very expensive on the job training. Aside from a handful of jobs I can think of immediately most can be handled in on the job. Accounting for example, a degree can help, but starting out in another position and growing into accounting would be better for the employee and employer, Employee because they learn what they're accounting for and employer because they're getting someone with an intimate knowledge of the company, not some 24 year old right out of college with no real work experience.

Not poo pooing college, it has it's purposes for sure. But we have an issue in the USA where we're told you need a degree to get a job where aside from certain things you don't. You need specialized education for some things (like IT) but not a 4 year degree. Tio pick on Rutgers for a second. Rutgers for their computer science BA requires 6 computer science classes 3 math classes and 5 electives. Is that necessary? If instead you went out and got CISCO certified as much as possible, Mircosoft certified, and A+ certified you'd be 10 times the IT professional of someone with just a BA in CS. But you may lose out on jobs to those guys.

chop2chip
02-24-2015, 10:49 AM
That's where my point is entirely is that you are completely discounting what you are learning in college. Your accounting example makes it seem like you can learn accounting on the fly after an extended training. There is no way that is possible. Accounting is very thorough and complicated which is why it's one of the longer undergraduate degrees. Firms don't want to have to pay to have all the prerequisite knowledge needed so they choose to hire college graduates that they know at least have exposure to everything. This is true for any STEM based field.

There are certainly some things that an apprentice style education would benefit more. I think that system has some merit. Although, I do think being exposed to a lot of different disciplines has tremendous value. But either are far better than no system at all where employers are forced to guess how competent you are at learning and then having to foot the entire bill to train you. That system is wholly inefficient.

Also, college is way for firms to gauge your ability to learn new things and to see how hard working you are. And that's aside from the fact that it's the most important social institution in the world. There's a reason why it's the primary avenue for people to find their future spouse.

gilesfan
02-24-2015, 11:31 AM
That's where my point is entirely is that you are completely discounting what you are learning in college. Your accounting example makes it seem like you can learn accounting on the fly after an extended training. There is no way that is possible. Accounting is very thorough and complicated which is why it's one of the longer undergraduate degrees. Firms don't want to have to pay to have all the prerequisite knowledge needed so they choose to hire college graduates that they know at least have exposure to everything. This is true for any STEM based field.

There are certainly some things that an apprentice style education would benefit more. I think that system has some merit. Although, I do think being exposed to a lot of different disciplines has tremendous value. But either are far better than no system at all where employers are forced to guess how competent you are at learning and then having to foot the entire bill to train you. That system is wholly inefficient.

Also, college is way for firms to gauge your ability to learn new things and to see how hard working you are. And that's aside from the fact that it's the most important social institution in the world. There's a reason why it's the primary avenue for people to find their future spouse.

The point about learning different disciplines is excellent. Also, college gives you the background to know why things work the way they work. Why accounting works the way that it does and the historical significance of accounting (just using accounting as an example). You aren't going to learn that stuff on the job, you are just going to learn what that firm wants you to do. And that may help you with that firm, but what if you work 5 years for that firm and want to change jobs? Another firm isn't going to want to train a 35 year old all over again that doesn't have that background knowledge; they are going to hire some college graduate.

zitothebrave
02-24-2015, 11:47 AM

You make fair points. I just consider the way it's handles to reek of need for money. From the cost of schooling, to the virtual requirement even for jobs that don't need it.

You're right about what the company wants and so on so forth. But the issue is that what if someone goes to school for something then realizes it isn't what they want to do because the professional world is totally different. The number of people I know who went to school for something and then came out the otherside doing something entirely different because they found a different passion or they hated the professional part of their passion. Pick on my girlfriend. She went to film school, and basically gave up on it after a year or 2 after school cause she didn't want to do weddings for the rest of her life and that's where the bulk of people in film make their money.

BRule
02-24-2015, 02:44 PM
This thread is classic Zito, yeezus and 9ers backing him up make it just perfect.