PDA

View Full Version : MLB Hall of Fame 2014 = Most Epic Ever?

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
So GlavineBraves47 and I have decided we're going to Cooperstown next year.

Maddux and Glavine will be eligible. Big Hurt will also be eligible as well although who knows if he'll get in on first ballot due to steroid connection (Despite the fact Thomas has been clean and maintains clean and everyone else thinks he's actually clean).

Bobby, JS, Torre, LaRussa will all be eligible by veteran's committee (I think the post 65 year old rule is here).

Hotels are asking for a weekend booking, which will be 1650 for 3 nights.

We haven't decided if we're going to camp or just drive into town.

Coolest part? Apparently two players have never been inducted with the same on cap on the same day. This could be history.

Anyone else planning to go? I figure it' s never too late to start planning early, and maybe we can all meet up in NY and drive up there, or have a beer or something. This will be my first time going, and couldn't have been any better with Glavine and Maddux (and possibly Bobby, JS going in as well) going in.

zitothebrave
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm not going for the induction but will be making a trip up in August or September

NYCBrave
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I can't see them all getting in. Probably Maddux, but I don't think they'll make Glavine a first ballot. First ballot hall of famers have become more and more of a rarity it seems.

Gary82
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Man, I would love to go and see next years induction.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
I can't see them all getting in. Probably Maddux, but I don't think they'll make Glavine a first ballot. First ballot hall of famers have become more and more of a rarity it seems.

Two 300 game winners?

I understand that Clemens broke the automatic 300 game winner rule, and McGwire broke the automatic 500 hr club rule.

Glavine has never ever been accused or tied to PED's. He's a 300 game winner which in this day and age may never happen again.

NYCBrave
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Two 300 game winners?

I understand that Clemens broke the automatic 300 game winner rule, and McGwire broke the automatic 500 hr club rule.

Glavine has never ever been accused or tied to PED's. He's a 300 game winner which in this day and age may never happen again.

And Biggio has over 3000 hits and he didn't get in first ballot. 3000 hits, 300 wins and 500 HR were supposed to be automatic. It seems they no longer mean automatic first ballot, but eventually you'll get in if no PED's.

bravesnumberone
07-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Never understood the whole notion that people would wait a year to vote for someone. Either they're a Hall of Famer or not. Maddux and Glavine both should go in next year, and it isn't debatable.

NYCBrave
07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Never understood the whole notion that people would wait a year to vote for someone. Either they're a Hall of Famer or not. Maddux and Glavine both should go in next year, and it isn't debatable.

Because of the traditionalists, they'll point to the fact that Babe Ruth didn't even get 100% of the vote, so nobody else should come close. There are some writers out there who refuse to vote for any player on the first ballot. If Lou Gehrig didn't get in on the first ballot, why should anybody?

jpx7
07-29-2013, 02:09 PM

That's often true, but this might be a sort of unique situation wherein Maddux and Glavine receive an additional boost for being crafty, scrawny dudes with no links to PEDS who pitched dominantly in a PED-heavy era — statement cases, if you will, that these are the types of guys the voters want to promote, versus guys like Clemens.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Because of the traditionalists, they'll point to the fact that Babe Ruth didn't even get 100% of the vote, so nobody else should come close. There are some writers out there who refuse to vote for any player on the first ballot. If Lou Gehrig didn't get in on the first ballot, why should anybody?

There's always one person who points to the Ted Williams thing.

That doesn't mean Maddux and Glavine won't get 99% of the vote.

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Perry, Niekro and Sutton had to wait multiple years. So there is a precedent for making a 300 game winner wait. I think Tommy will have to wait. My guess is Maddux will be the only player voted in next year.

First time inductees tend to be "Inner Circle" types. Among the guys coming up I'd guess Johnson, Griffey, Martinez and Chipper will be the ones getting in on the first ballot. Personally I kind of like the distinction between the inner circle and outer circle of the Hall.

CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Can't see any scenario in which both Maddux and Glavine don't get in. 300 game winners, multiple Cy Youngs, and part of a World Series championship team. Only thing that could be better is if the HOF allows Bobby Cox to be eligible and he gets in as well. I think Frank Thomas will get in as well. Another guy I'm rooting for is Craig Biggio. Always liked him.

In any case, there will be some tomahawk choppin' next July in Cooperstown

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
To me Glavine is a left handed version of Don Sutton. I think he'll have to wait.

The 300 win club and 3,000 hit club are roughly equivalent imo. And Biggio did not get in on the first ballot.

There are lots of precedents that argue with Glavine not being a first ballot guy.

JohnAdcox
07-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm planning to go. In the past, some travel agents (remember them?) have had some decent packages available.

BRule
07-29-2013, 02:31 PM
I find it hard to believe that they both won't get in.

The Chosen One
07-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Neikro and Sutton had to wait multiple years. So there is a precedent for making a 300 game winner wait. I think Tommy will have to wait. My guess is Maddux will be the only player voted in next year.

First time inductees tend to be "Inner Circle" types. Among the guys coming up I'd guess Johnson, Griffey, Martinez and Chipper will be the ones getting in on the first ballot. Personally I kind of like the distinction between the inner circle and outer circle of the Hall.

Glavine was inner circle and he was also players union rep for several years... that MIGHT pull a few strings.

Niekro had to wait because his career was all longevity. Sutton waiting was probably punishment for spitballing or the fact that he was never THAT guy?

Glavine won 2 Cy Young Awards and was one of the more dominant pitchers in a decade. Sutton never won a Cy Young and was all star 4 times compared to Glavine's what 8-10? World Series MVP must also help his resume as well.

With Clemens' legacy being tarnished, Maddux's appreciation went up drastically. I think he's consensus one of the greatest pitchers ever considering he also pitched in the steroid era. Martinez may have had one of the most dominant few years of any pitcher, but Maddux was longevity + effectiveness.

bravesnumberone
07-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm not saying Glavine will go in, I'm saying he should. Those precedents are just an outdated way of thinking by traditionalist sports writers. If you have the stats and aren't tainted, you should go as soon as you're eligible.

nsacpi
07-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Glavine was inner circle and he was also players union rep for several years... that MIGHT pull a few strings.

Niekro had to wait because his career was all longevity. Sutton waiting was probably punishment for spitballing or the fact that he was never THAT guy?

Glavine won 2 Cy Young Awards and was one of the more dominant pitchers in a decade. Sutton never won a Cy Young and was all star 4 times compared to Glavine's what 8-10? World Series MVP must also help his resume as well.

With Clemens' legacy being tarnished, Maddux's appreciation went up drastically. I think he's consensus one of the greatest pitchers ever considering he also pitched in the steroid era. Martinez may have had one of the most dominant few years of any pitcher, but Maddux was longevity + effectiveness.

Maddux is a slam dunk. No doubt about that.

I'd be willing to bet Aaron Rodgers' salary Glavine does not get in his first year.

CyYoung31
07-29-2013, 02:45 PM
If Maddux does not go in unanimously the first time, they just need to close the whole god damned thing down.

thethe
07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
If Maddux does not go in unanimously the first time, they just need to close the whole god damned thing down.

He isn't going to which is ridiculous. Some writer just wants to feel powerful because this is the only time they actually have any real power in their life.

Julio3000
07-29-2013, 02:50 PM
He isn't going to which is ridiculous. Some writer just wants to feel powerful because this is the only time they actually have any real power in their life.

I can understand, and even empathize with, some kinds of idiocy. But not on that scale.

jpx7
07-29-2013, 02:52 PM
There are lots of precedents that argue with Glavine not being a first ballot guy.

Will not? Maybe. Should not? I disagree.

NYCBrave
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
My prediction is Maddux, Biggio and Frank Thomas in, and Glavine will have to wait a year.

Also, is it time to look at who's voting? Do we even know it's the right people? From the way voting has gone it seems some of these guys are power hungry