PDA

View Full Version : So, Ted Cruz is going to announce he is running for president....

goldfly
03-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Does he know he isn't eligible since he was born in Canada?

I will wait for the republican party to call him out on this

Oklahomahawk
03-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Wait, I thought his name was Rafael...

Hawk
03-22-2015, 11:16 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-senator-ted-cruz-to-announce-2016-gop-presidential-bid-1427029555

Another Republican strategist, who has discussed the announcement with the senator, said the timing was designed to capitalize on the eye-catching advantage of getting out early.

“Why not be first?” the strategist said.

---

I think that about sums up Ted Cruz as a candidate.

Oklahomahawk
03-22-2015, 11:53 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-senator-ted-cruz-to-announce-2016-gop-presidential-bid-1427029555

Another Republican strategist, who has discussed the announcement with the senator, said the timing was designed to capitalize on the eye-catching advantage of getting out early.

“Why not be first?” the strategist said.

---

I think that about sums up Ted Cruz as a candidate.

You're talking about the "getting OUT early part, right"?

The Chosen One
03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Well in contrast, I believe the GOP debates for 2012 actually started January 2011. Maybe they learned their lesson from last time on having a long and drawn out debate season where each candidate lead the polls at one point.

weso1
03-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Don't jump the shark goldfly. It's not fun.

weso1
03-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Well in contrast, I believe the GOP debates for 2012 actually started January 2011. Maybe they learned their lesson from last time on having a long and drawn out debate season where each candidate lead the polls at one point.

That happens all the time for any party. You don't think Hillary and O'Malley are going to have a bloody fist fight, amongst other candidates?

The Chosen One
03-22-2015, 09:25 PM
That happens all the time for any party. You don't think Hillary and O'Malley are going to have a bloody fist fight, amongst other candidates?

Polls are showing Hillary is not losing support with her base based off this e-mail "scandal".

I think Biden would have a better chance than O'Malley tbh. O'Malley could be a Veep guy though. Possible if Hillary gets nom then O'Malley can be Veep. If Biden gets the nom I'm almost certain he's going to pick Warren.

weso1
03-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Polls are showing Hillary is not losing support with her base based off this e-mail "scandal".

I think Biden would have a better chance than O'Malley tbh. O'Malley could be a Veep guy though. Possible if Hillary gets nom then O'Malley can be Veep. If Biden gets the nom I'm almost certain he's going to pick Warren.

I just don't see Biden even in the conversation. Surely the majority of Americans don't see him fit to be President. I guess maybe I'm overestimating American voters here. As an obviously republican homer I respect the Obama/Hillary choice about a billion times more than I do the Biden choice. I honestly put Biden on the level of Palin or Trump. I mean sure as a pub it would be kind of awesome and fun to watch it unfold, but.... really?

The Chosen One
03-22-2015, 09:42 PM
I just don't see Biden even in the conversation. Surely the majority of Americans don't see him fit to be President. I guess maybe I'm overestimating American voters here. As an obviously republican homer I respect the Obama/Hillary choice about a billion times more than I do the Biden choice. I honestly put Biden on the level of Palin or Trump. I mean sure as a pub it would be kind of awesome and fun to watch it unfold, but.... really?

Difference between Biden and Palin/Trump is Biden can ride Obama's coattails if the next two years continue to be solid for Obama since he was part of his administration.

Unlike Gore who wasted Clinton's popularity leaving office, Biden has charisma (albeit he can produce gaffs). And he can work a debate as good as anybody in politics.

If Hillary's popularity dwindles so much that she doesn't stay in the race, I easily see Warren stepping in. Sanders doesn't get any love because he's weird and an outcast.

weso1
03-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Difference between Biden and Palin/Trump is Biden can ride Obama's coattails if the next two years continue to be solid for Obama since he was part of his administration.

Unlike Gore who wasted Clinton's popularity leaving office, Biden has charisma (albeit he can produce gaffs). And he can work a debate as good as anybody in politics.

If Hillary's popularity dwindles so much that she doesn't stay in the race, I easily see Warren stepping in. Sanders doesn't get any love because he's weird and an outcast.

Biden does have charisma, but his buffoonery is much beyond G-Dub level. And I personally believe he's not smart enough to be President. I honestly think he is significantly less intelligent than Palin or Trump. And I would never vote for either other than just for funsies. And I fully admit that I would absolutely vote for either of them for funsies.

Oklahomahawk
03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
I honestly think he is significantly less intelligent than Palin

Seriously? Nobody not named Rafeal Cruz or Michelle Bachmann can make that claim can they? I don't think we'll ever know just how smart Joe is/isn't because he only takes his foot out of his mouth long enough to say something else stupid, we don't know what smart stuff he might be mumbling the rest of the time, do we? I don't think Trump is a dummy, he's just so incredibly arrogant and full of himself even Rush and Sean make fun of him behind his back.

weso1
03-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Seriously? Nobody not named Rafeal Cruz or Michelle Bachmann can make that claim can they? I don't think we'll ever know just how smart Joe is/isn't because he only takes his foot out of his mouth long enough to say something else stupid, we don't know what smart stuff he might be mumbling the rest of the time, do we? I don't think Trump is a dummy, he's just so incredibly arrogant and full of himself even Rush and Sean make fun of him behind his back.

I think Palin is as smart as Trump. In a vacuum if you're going to argue that Palin isn't smart enough to be president then I'm not going to argue with you. In fact I'd actually agree with you. But if you're going to bring up Biden as a potential candidate then I'm not interested. Look, Biden was a great choice for VP. Obama chose him as an old white dude to balance out his young black guy. I personally think Obama was intelligent enough to be president, but not experienced enough. I think in a few years even Obama will look back on it and say you guys should have elected Hillary first.

The Chosen One
03-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Biden helped broker some of the government shutdown deals.

He knows Washington as well as anybody.

Oklahomahawk
03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
I think Palin is as smart as Trump. In a vacuum if you're going to argue that Palin isn't smart enough to be president then I'm not going to argue with you. In fact I'd actually agree with you. But if you're going to bring up Biden as a potential candidate then I'm not interested. Look, Biden was a great choice for VP. Obama chose him as an old white dude to balance out his young black guy. I personally think Obama was intelligent enough to be president, but not experienced enough. I think in a few years even Obama will look back on it and say you guys should have elected Hillary first.

Oh I was definitely NOT trying to set up Biden as presidential material, though we do seem to be headed in that direction if you take the past few elections as a baseline. Sarah might not be such a DUMAS if she wasn't trying so hard to be politically relevant so as to sell books and the like. I think getting an anti-Reagan material vaccine would do them all a world of good. So many of those people try to hard to be Ronnie Jr that we don't even know who or what they really are.

weso1
03-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Biden helped broker some of the government shutdown deals.

That's who you want as president? Biden is a a used car salesman. I really respect your decision to not automatically accept Hillary as President. I feel like right now she is playing the game and making fools of all of us. I think Sav, you are an independent thinker and I respect your opinion when it comes to politics and other decisions. I think several years from now it will be interesting to see who you choose as President.

The Chosen One
03-22-2015, 10:38 PM
That's who you want as president? Biden is a a used car salesman. I really respect your decision to not automatically accept Hillary as President. I feel like right now she is playing the game and making fools of all of us. I think Sav, you are an independent thinker and I respect your opinion when it comes to politics and other decisions. I think several years from now it will be interesting to see who you choose as President.

It's not about who I "want", it's who I think has the best chance of winning.

I'd rather have Sanders or Warren in there, but after Hillary, Biden is the only other one who has credentials to be a "safe" pick to succeed Obama. And if Biden gets nominated over Hillary, he's going to pick Warren almost certainly. Dems have been playing this game pretty well for the last 8 years.

Nominate the first African-American to be President, get him elected and re-elected. Throughout his Presidency continuously bring up the idea that Hillary is going to succeed him and be the first woman POTUS. All the while the Republicans are sticking to their same guns that got them to lose the last 2 times. As long as the Dems can show "diversity" over the GOP, they're going to pick up the demographics that think the GOP is just the "old white guy" party.

Warren would balance out Biden, and if Hillary was the nominee, she'd probably go O'Malley or Hispanic.

Obama picked Biden to balance out his ticket (Biden's experience and tenure in Washington to counter Obama's "age". Plus Joe was Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee so there's your foreign policy experience for the ticket). Biden would pick Warren to balance out his ticket (Biden's experience in Washington to counter Warren's inexperience and Warren being a female is a no brainer).

goldfly
03-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Don't jump the shark goldfly. It's not fun.

how am i jumping the shark?

Tapate50
03-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Can't tell if this was posted as a positive or negative thing.

AerchAngel
03-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Great, two pieces of schit parties and a plethora of pieces of schit candidates.

I will sit out this one as well.

Where is our 3rd Party at?

acesfull86
03-23-2015, 10:02 AM
I just can't get past Biden's background. This is the United States of America...we can't find someone a little smarter than a guy who cheated his way to the bottom of his class at Delaware? I flat out don't think he has the intelligence to be POTUS.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Does he know he isn't eligible since he was born in Canada?

I will wait for the republican party to call him out on this

I wish I'd say I'd bank on it happening. But I don't think any of the bigger candidates are threatened by Cruz. Maybe some of the teabaggers will to get him out earlier and keep their poll numbers higher, but the more central pubs won't want him out.

BTW Cruz is not an idiot. He went to Princeton and Harvard. He may not be the smartest man we've elected but don't compare him to Palin, Bachman or Trump. I feel kind of bad lumping Bachmann in there, but I can't help it, she just comes off too dumb. You can consider her and Biden pretty equal, both graduated from less than stellar law schools.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I honestly think he is significantly less intelligent than Palin or Trump.

That is patently false. Palin is about as "dumb" of a presidential candidate as you'll meet. Only one I can think of getting as much consideration as her would be Ronald Reagan, who was the ultimate puppet president.

Run down the list really quick. Needed a beauty pageant prize to get a scholarship to college. She took over 5 years and 5 different schools for her to get a bachelors in communication. That's not even a real degree. Now, I don't think she's truly dumb. I think she's average or slightly below average intelligence, but when you're playing in the world of presidential candidates where most everyone has a law degree or doctorate. Consider Dubya. He went to Yale, then Harvard to get an MBA. Maybe one of the "dumber" presidents we've had in recent year. Obama we all know and have been over ad nauseum. HW Bush graduated from Yale. Clinton went to Georgetown, Oxford, and Yale Law.

It's easy to call people dumb without considering the facts. Biden unlike Trump or Palin did get a law degree. Even if he coasted to it.

I'm gonna be blunt and sexist here, but if Palin was less attractive of a female, no one would care about her. Period. She's gotten where she's gotten pretty heavily based on looks.

Oklahomahawk
03-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I just can't get past Biden's background. This is the United States of America...we can't find someone a little smarter than a guy who cheated his way to the bottom of his class at Delaware? I flat out don't think he has the intelligence to be POTUS.

I'm not a Joe fan either, but where is the evidence that he cheated? Is there another blue dress involved?

57Brave
03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
In 1988 the Dukakas Campaign exposed a paper he plagiarized.

However since, he has since ushered in Equal Marriage and of course " A noun a verb and 9/11 "

Negative in my mind is the same as HRC - he voted to give authority to Bush 43 leading to the Iraq Debacle .

If one were to Wiki Biden they would see his legislative career. Impressive I guess if you agree with him -- "buffoonish" if you disagree.
Some of the issues he tackled and carried out in the Senate are not issues or stands made by someone who's ability to make 4+4=8 compares with Palin.

If you doubt the agility of his mind rewatch the VP Debate with Paul Ryan. Considered a genius by many who disparage Biden's intelligence
One does not play politics at the level Biden has for over 40 years by being stupid. An election cycle or two maybe but not 40 years

Hawk
03-23-2015, 12:27 PM
That is patently false. Palin is about as "dumb" of a presidential candidate as you'll meet. Only one I can think of getting as much consideration as her would be Ronald Reagan, who was the ultimate puppet president.

Run down the list really quick. Needed a beauty pageant prize to get a scholarship to college. She took over 5 years and 5 different schools for her to get a bachelors in communication. That's not even a real degree. Now, I don't think she's truly dumb. I think she's average or slightly below average intelligence, but when you're playing in the world of presidential candidates where most everyone has a law degree or doctorate. Consider Dubya. He went to Yale, then Harvard to get an MBA. Maybe one of the "dumber" presidents we've had in recent year. Obama we all know and have been over ad nauseum. HW Bush graduated from Yale. Clinton went to Georgetown, Oxford, and Yale Law.

It's easy to call people dumb without considering the facts. Biden unlike Trump or Palin did get a law degree. Even if he coasted to it.

Holy ****. Your point is entirely predicated on intelligence somehow equivalating with academic achievement?

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Holy ****. Your point is entirely predicated on intelligence somehow equivalating with academic achievement?

When one takes more than 4 years to get a communications degree, yes.

Hawk
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
When one takes more than 4 years to get a communications degree, yes.

That's a petty cheap shot.

I have more respect for people who have experienced the realities of our 'education' system than those who are silver-spoon fed into (and out of) Ivies.

Hawk
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Also, more germane to the topic at head, I'm literally LOL'ing at the attempts by foaming liberals in this thread to paint the prototypical career politician, Joe Biden, as a somehow remotely viable, qualified, or otherwise morally acceptable Presidential candidate.

I thought the left was all about fighting the establishment?

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 12:44 PM
That's a petty cheap shot.

I have more respect for people who have experienced the realities of our 'education' system than those who are silver-spoon fed into (and out of) Ivies.

Well only people on my list who were "spoon-fed" into the Ivies was the Bushes. Clinton was from a middleclass family. wenty to Georgetown on Scholarships and financial aid, one of a handful of Rhodes Scholars then of course on his academia got into Yale law. Obama was from a middle class family, went to Columbia then went to Harvard.

So unless you consider being smart enough to get into a great school regardless of family (again, only Bushes had legacy) as being "spoon fed" then I don't know what to say. To get into the Ivy league schools you need money, grades or ideally both. You can argue for Obama he was black s ohe had a minority advantage.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Also, more germane to the topic at head, I'm literally LOL'ing at the attempts by foaming liberals in this thread to paint the prototypical career politician, Joe Biden, as a somehow remotely viable, qualified, or otherwise morally acceptable Presidential candidate.

I thought the left was all about fighting the establishment?

Biden is a terrible presidential candidate. Democrats will only elect career politicians next cycle IMO. Obama was a shakeup that I don't think will happen anytime soon. Would be nice for Sanders or Warren to get the nom, but that's about as likely as Paul getting the R nod. Money doesn't follow them.

Hawk
03-23-2015, 12:54 PM
So unless you consider being smart enough to get into a great school regardless of family (again, only Bushes had legacy) as being "spoon fed" then I don't know what to say. To get into the Ivy league schools you need money, grades or ideally both. You can argue for Obama he was black s ohe had a minority advantage.

You really don't know how Ivies work, do you? Students rarely pay for tuition out and out. Scholarship is practically de rigueur.

Bill Clinton's family was extremely well off. His step-dad owned a Buick dealership.

Money, connections, race, 'legacy' ...it doesn't matter, my point is/was that if you are idolizing educational merit produced purely in terms of degrees from Ivy league schools then you are running a fool's errand.

Hawk
03-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Would be nice for Sanders or Warren to get the nom, but that's about as likely as Paul getting the R nod. Money doesn't follow them.

I think money might get behind Warren ... Sanders OTOH is a tougher sell. Then again, crazier things have happened.

57Brave
03-23-2015, 01:06 PM
I just said it was foolish, narrow minded and uninformed to say Biden is nothing more than a buffoon.

I say that about a lot of people

sturg33
03-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Zito didn't you say you didn't go to college?

It is odd that you are criticizing someone's intelligence based on the extra year.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Zito didn't you say you didn't go to college?

It is odd that you are criticizing someone's intelligence based on the extra year.

Extra year, 5 different schools, all for a communications degree. If I went to school, I wouldn't have needed a beauty pageant scholarship (not that a mongoloid like me would win one but I digress) and I would have been out of a school like RUtgers or NJIT in 4 years with a Computer Science or Engineering degree. I wouldn't have wasted 5 years of my life getting a freaking communications degree.

I'll play a real life game for a second. My girlfriend, both her parents, and her brother went to college. All for a variety of degrees, they all look to me for the bright idea. They're all strong in a number of ways that I'm not. Could totally go on with other examples including people I went to school with who I was far and away smarter then who went to school.

Tapate50
03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Extra year, 5 different schools, all for a communications degree. If I went to school, I wouldn't have needed a beauty pageant scholarship (not that a mongoloid like me would win one but I digress) and I would have been out of a school like RUtgers or NJIT in 4 years with a Computer Science or Engineering degree. I wouldn't have wasted 5 years of my life getting a freaking communications degree.

I'll play a real life game for a second. My girlfriend, both her parents, and her brother went to college. All for a variety of degrees, they all look to me for the bright idea. They're all strong in a number of ways that I'm not. Could totally go on with other examples including people I went to school with who I was far and away smarter then who went to school.

I'll bite.

What "bright ideas" do they look to you to supply?

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
I'll bite.

What "bright ideas" do they look to you to supply?

IT support, marketing ideas, things of that nature. Could list more, but it's monotonous to list skills and service provided.

Hawk
03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
I thought you were going to ask if he was really a mongoloid.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 02:50 PM
I thought you were going to ask if he was really a mongoloid.

I will ruin you and your great wall.

Oklahomahawk
03-23-2015, 02:52 PM
I will ruin you and your great wall.

FU Mongoh-ians!!!!

http://40.media.tumblr.com/c6d7311d867cef99706953d04f7cae8c/tumblr_mg9u43Vusi1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Tapate50
03-23-2015, 03:50 PM
IT support, marketing ideas, things of that nature. Could list more, but it's monotonous to list skills and service provided.

A key cog in the wheel no doubt.

zitothebrave
03-23-2015, 04:56 PM
A key cog in the wheel no doubt.

WEll the day their computers went down in the middle of mail order season, I'd say it was quite important.

goldfly
03-23-2015, 08:32 PM
seriously, where are the birthers? where is Trump?