CrimsonCowboy
07-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Left Achilles tendinitis. Todd Cunningham has been called up

FUEagle
07-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Dang. Cunningham is a Jax State Gamecock

Braves1976
07-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Why call up another outfielder when we need an extra reliever more? Heyward and Constanza can cover centerfield fine. We don't have an off day for a while and have Philly and Nats after this series. So I'd go with the extra reliever for next few days to let bullpen get fresh. If not they'll probably be pretty worked heading into the Philly and/or Nats series.

Remember, there is no Huddy in rotation to go deep into games now. I expect more bullpen usage needed with Medlen, Beachy and Wood all in rotation. Minor and Teheran are our best shots at going past 6 innings.

That said, congrats to Todd. I like him and I am happy for him. Hope he does very well.

SidSlid92
07-30-2013, 12:57 AM
I know our farm has been criticized by some, however you can't argue that our farm has paid dividends for us this season. From Teheran to Gattis to Wood to Terdo; using Rasmus to nab Downs, and I feel confident Cunningham will give us good cover until Reed or Schafer return. The emergence of Martin, Cabrera and Peraza also create some excitement down on the farm. And I think FW has the pieces to acquire another piece or 2 by Wednesday, or maybe in August.

NinersSBChamps
07-30-2013, 01:04 AM
So our initial major league OFers have all been on the disabled list except Justin Upton. This is getting ridiculous.

Dunit24
07-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Yet, you go read Washington Nationals forums, and they will tell you "Braves catch every break..its just there year.."

Bye Week
07-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Pretty big loss as Reed has been killing as a PH lately. I hope it is just the 15 days and nothing more. I have no problem with Heyward playing CF until BJ/Schafer are ready anyways.

When is BJ going to be ready?

thethe
07-30-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm happy for Cunningham but how do you not bring up a reliever for the next two days? This is an odd move.

bp4de
07-30-2013, 07:59 AM
wow last one standing turn out the lights huh....i hope the injury bug gets off our back soon,kindof amazed at times at who we have lost so far this season and havent missed a beat!

PawPawMaxwell
07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm happy for Cunningham but how do you not bring up a reliever for the next two days? This is an odd move.

Just guessing. After tonite, Minor and Teheran who have both been going deep. Possibly still looking for another reliever? Bench is really thin considering who is dinged up and Janish and Constanza have defined roles now. BJ and Shafer getting close.

thethe
07-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Just guessing. After tonite, Minor and Teheran who have both been going deep. Possibly still looking for another reliever? Bench is really thin considering who is dinged up and Janish and Constanza have defined roles now. BJ and Shafer getting close.

I just think tonight it dangerous. I really like Wood long term as a starting pitcher but this Rockies lineup is tough and he needs to go six innings.

nsacpi
07-30-2013, 08:13 AM
I just think tonight it dangerous. I really like Wood long term as a starting pitcher but this Rockies lineup is tough and he needs to go six innings.

Varvaro is available for multiple innings.

Kimbrel, Walden, Downs, Ayala are available for 1 inning.

Avilan and Carpenter are not available except on an emergency basis.

Yes, the pen has been pushed hard, but I think we are ok for tonight. After that the rotation turns over to Minor and Teheran. No need for an 8th reliever imo.

thethe
07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Varvaro is available for multiple innings.

Kimbrel, Walden, Downs, Ayala are available for 1 inning.

Avilan and Carpenter are not available except on an emergency basis.

Yes, the pen has been pushed hard, but I think we are ok for tonight. After that the rotation turns over to Minor and Teheran. No need for an 8th reliever imo.

Well I figured someone from Gwinett would be bussed over in the event of an emergency and then after tonight you call up Cunningham. Thats what I would have done.

50PoundHead
07-30-2013, 08:23 AM
We're a little over a month away from expanded rosters, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves brought up three or four arms for September.

Too bad for Johnson. Good spare part whose been valuable. Hope Cunningham does well (but doesn't rap).

Braves1976
07-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Well I figured someone from Gwinett would be bussed over in the event of an emergency and then after tonight you call up Cunningham. Thats what I would have done.

I'd called up a reliever too, at least for next few games. Then if the bullpen gets some rest you can always call on Cunningham later this week. I don't like pushing it with the Phillies and Nats looming after this series (and no off days till after the next three series).

Braves1976
07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Of course it could be we'll have another reliever before tonight's game (same as we did yesterday with the trade for Downs).

Downs also spelled the end of Loe. Can you imagine Loe being in the bullpen last night instead?

Julio3000
07-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Of course it could be we'll have another reliever before tonight's game (same as we did yesterday with the trade for Downs).

Downs also spelled the end of Loe. Can you imagine Loe being in the bullpen last night instead?

That weird diphthong might throw you off at first, but since there are only three letters it's hard to mess up.

gilesfan
07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Yet, you go read Washington Nationals forums, and they will tell you "Braves catch every break..its just there year.."

Can you send me a link?

50PoundHead
07-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd called up a reliever too, at least for next few games. Then if the bullpen gets some rest you can always call on Cunningham later this week. I don't like pushing it with the Phillies and Nats looming after this series (and no off days till after the next three series).

We may have to do that, but I think I'd rather have Cunningham than Constanza (good luck charm value aside) because of Cunningham's ability to play CF.

Braves1976
07-30-2013, 09:40 AM
We may have to do that, but I think I'd rather have Cunningham than Constanza (good luck charm value aside) because of Cunningham's ability to play CF.

Cunningham is better in center, but Constanza is okay to play centerfield (similar to Reed Johnson IMO). I just wouldn't want him as a starter in centerfield (or anywhere else for that matter). However, Constanza is great defensively in left and solid in right too.

That said, I am fine with keeping Cunningham over Constanza. I don't think we really need both of them.

AerchAngel
07-30-2013, 09:42 AM

It would have been LoSe instead of Loe.

nsacpi
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Maybe we should trade Loe for Lohse. Vanna would probably let us have two consonants for free.

The Chosen One
07-30-2013, 03:41 PM
wow last one standing turn out the lights huh....i hope the injury bug gets off our back soon,kindof amazed at times at who we have lost so far this season and havent missed a beat!

Welcome aboard. :tchop:

nsacpi
07-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Some insights into Cunningham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2L8jGQx4a0