PDA

View Full Version : Anyone visit batting cages?

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 02:28 PM
We have one in town, 2 bucks for 20 pitches, you dictate the speed.

Being macho and such the highest speeds are 80 which I put it at.

Since I was a switch hitter, I did ten on each side.

I actually got few solid hits left handed to the left side 7/10 (late, but at 47 years old what do you expect) right handed, I was BJ Upton, on 3 contacts and I am naturally a right handed hitter but with more power.

I might call Julio Franco and see if I can get an invite.

But man at 80, the ball gets on you really fast, I can't imagine what 100 is like.

Going to do this more in the future, cheap an fun and see if I can get better. They said they get a lot of high school and colleague players and it is booked up for hours.

Chipper
03-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Where I live, we didn't play baseball growing up, it was fast pitch softball, yes, men's fast pitch. In my teens and first half of my 20's, I played on a couple teams. Never was really good, I liked to pitch, but never put the effort into it to get good enough to take starts away from better guys. Anyway, back to what I was going to say, there was a pitcher, most said he was the best in the country, who threw, at 46 feet away, 80+ mph. He actually skipped forward as he threw the pitch, making the distance from the plate at the time of release close to 40 feet. I faced him twice in a game once and I had some "really good cuts" lol. The ball was in the catcher's glove when I started my swing. I had fun though.

Knucksie
03-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Yes, and love it! Probably why I haven't golfed since about 2000. The batting cages give me greater pleasure, and is equivalent of a full workout, if at 100 pitches. Mine is literally around the corner.

The ownership had changed hands a couple of times, and it was inactive for well over a year, until it went on auction, spring before last. So, it was great to have it back. My favorite story was from the previous ownership. This place also has a go-cart track, mini golf, games inside and hosts parties for kids during the warm months.

Anyway, this one incident took place, maybe 5-7 years ago, don't remember exactly. It was on a Friday afternoon. Had already been out a few times, so my timing was down. Something felt different this time though. Balls were whizzing by, quite a bit faster than normal. As any experienced hitters know, only whiffing gets frustrating very quickly, even if it's just fouling off. It almost felt like time to pack it in for the afternoon. Instead, I said to myself, "don't be a puss." That did it. Got my timing down, and started to connect. When the ball jumps off the sweet spot, it's as satisfying as the whiffing is frustrating.

The staff told me later that they'd been messing around with the adjustments. They'd put the radar gun on and it was set to 90! The one mechanic told me that only me and one other guy were able to make contact. Then, he told me about this one guy, who was trying to impress his gf, but ended up just swinging at air. I would have loved to have seen it! Remember, even with an aluminum bat, it's still 90 mph.

Other times, I pay attention to what kids do or other fairly seasoned hitters do and notice things. Tend not offer suggestions, and only occasionally offer tips. One time, it sort of bothered me what was happening. Probably everybody here is familiar with the overindulgent parents these days. A father had brought his son. This man stood directly behind the cage and continued coaching through the whole run of pitches. What he apparently did not understand is that it's extremely distracting, there's little time between pitches and recovery time is required after facing 20 pitches. If you want to coach your son, wait until he's resting. Felt like saying, "you get in there and try it, you fat f**k" but took the higher ground.

Yes, again, love it. Great part of summer. Still very cold here and don't expect them to open until at least late April, if not later. Much of their business improves after school kids get on summer recess.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 04:56 PM
I haven't in a year. I used to really like going. The one we went to you didn't hit right handed as it had a rep of becoming a head hunter if you hit a comebacker.

80 MPH from a machine with no indicator is really tough. If you get one you can time it's not too bad (not easy of course but it's more doable)

Where are you at Knucksie that it's still cold? I mean I'm in the shire in New Hampshire where humans aren't supposed to live. So that's my excuse.

sturg33
03-29-2015, 05:01 PM
I go a few times in the summer.. .I generally put it on 90 - I played some college ball so can still catch up to - but not like I used to. I'm only 25, though... so I should still be able to hit better than I do

gilesfan
03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Never really been a fan of it. I hate the predictive nature of it. Teaches you to hit that one pitch very well.

I can say that I think any decent athlete can hit a 90 mph fastball if its predictable. It just a matter of timing. I had fairly average bat speed and could hit a 90 mph fastball if it was down. I got some pretty good rips off Cuddyer. However, anytime he threw a hook I looked like Uggla when he would duck under a hanging curve down the middle.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Yes, and love it! Probably why I haven't golfed since about 2000. The batting cages give me greater pleasure, and is a equivalent of a full workout, if at 100 pitches. Mine is literally around the corner.

The ownership had changed hands a couple of times, and it was inactive for well over a year, until a went on auction, spring before last. So, it was great to have it back. My favorite story was from the previous ownership. This place also has a go-cart track, mini golf, games inside and host parties for kids during the warm months.

Anyway, this one incident took place, maybe 5-7 years ago, don't remember exactly. It was on a Friday afternoon. Had already been out a few times, so my timing was down. Something felt different this time though. Balls were whizzing by, quite a bit faster than normal. As any experienced hitters know, only whiffing gets frustrating very quickly, even if it's just fouling off. It almost felt like time to pack it in for the afternoon. Instead, I said to myself, "don't be a puss." That did it. Got my timing down, and started to connect. When the ball jumps off the sweet spot, it's as satisfying as the whiffing is frustrating.

The staff told me later that they'd been messing around with the adjustments. They'd put the radar gun on and it was set to 90! The one mechanic told me that only me and one other guy were able to make contact. Then, he told me about this one guy, who was trying to impress his gf, but ended up just swining at air. I would have loved to have seen it! Remember, even with an aluminum bat, it's still 90 mph.

Other times, I pay attention to what kids do or other fairly seasoned hitters do and notice things. Tend not offer suggestions, and only occasionally offer tips. One time, it sort of bothered me what was happening. Probably everybody here is familiar with the overindulgent parents these days. A father had brought his son. This man stoood behind the cage and continued coaching through the whole run of pitches. What he apparently did not understand is that it's extremely distracting, there's little time between pitches and recovery time is required after facing 20 pitches. If you want to coach your son, wait until he's resting. Felt like saying, "you get in there and try it, you fat f**k" but took the higher ground.

Yes, again, love it. Great part of summer. Still very cold here and don't expect them to open until at least late April, if not later. Much of their business improves after school kids get on summer recess.

Okay, this is weird, do you live in Eau Claire? Because what you describe is what we have.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Never really been a fan of it. I hate the predictive nature of it. Teaches you to hit that one pitch very well.

I can say that I think any decent athlete can hit a 90 mph fastball if its predictable. It just a matter of timing. I had fairly average bat speed and could hit a 90 mph fastball if it was down. I got some pretty good rips off Cuddyer. However, anytime he threw a hook I looked like Uggla when he would duck under a hanging curve down the middle.

That reminds me of a story my friend told me about making the jump from high school to college ball. He walked onto a good team for a try out and was rejected because he kept diving out of the box on right handed breakballs or left handed inside pitches. He was a good high school player, 2 year varsity player but not a star of the team. Could have probably played at a lower level school, but he talked about how essentially he crapped his pants on hard breaking pitches. Like Pedro Cerrano without all that power shenanigans.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:24 PM

The balls do NOT fly by at the same plane. That would be too easy for me to crush. I seen stuff belt high, chest high and then on the knees.

That machine made me look like Dan Uggla without the medicine on the right side.

On the left, ha ha, at 47 years old I own that bitch going to left field with regularity.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
I haven't in a year. I used to really like going. The one we went to you didn't hit right handed as it had a rep of becoming a head hunter if you hit a comebacker.

80 MPH from a machine with no indicator is really tough. If you get one you can time it's not too bad (not easy of course but it's more doable)

Where are you at Knucksie that it's still cold? I mean I'm in the shire in New Hampshire where humans aren't supposed to live. So that's my excuse.

It is still cold here in Wisconsin. We had snow a few times last week, it has melted but you just don't know.

weso1
03-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Had a friend in high school who had a batting cage in his back yard. Used to hit there all the time. Didn't have a machine, but we just threw to each other.

I don't go anymore, but if I had one in my backyard I'd do it everyday.

Hitting and pitching, at least to me, are the two funnest things to do in any sport.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 05:31 PM
It is still cold here in Wisconsin. We had snow a few times last week, it has melted but you just don't know.

Still have snow on the ground up here. Didn't get much snow the last time, but it's still freaking cold up here. Except maybe Friday, the 10 day looks good for Maple weather. Only Thursday/ Friday is it not supposed to get below freezing, but it shouldn't start the budding process yet. All the Maple folk up here are concerned because of how late in the season it is. They expect bears to come out of hibernation and screw up their lines.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't understand why I can see better from the left side but I am a right handed hitter but I remember my coaches said your weak hand you have better bat control and I think they are right.

In softball I can hit homers from both sides and it is why they always walk me intentionally, it doesn't matter but baseball I NEVER hit a homer left handed, all on the right side, but my average on the left is like 100 pts higher.

Baseball is a great game, the best in coordination unlike the other sports. You have to have SOME physical tools, but brain, EYES and smarts plays a part in it.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Still have snow on the ground up here. Didn't get much snow the last time, but it's still freaking cold up here. Except maybe Friday, the 10 day looks good for Maple weather. Only Thursday/ Friday is it not supposed to get below freezing, but it shouldn't start the budding process yet. All the Maple folk up here are concerned because of how late in the season it is. They expect bears to come out of hibernation and screw up their lines.

You get that normal cold, we get that bitter cold with wind.

Wind is what we hate, can't grill with wind.

catcher10
03-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Haven't been in a batting cage in 8 or 9 years, if I remember correctly I fouled off most of the pitches and made no solid contact. But this past winter, after pitching some BP to my son, I asked if he would throw me some pitches. After a dozen balls off the tee, I thought I was ready. I'm sure he was throwing less than 70 mph and I was able to make contact. He gave me some instruction and threw a little harder which I started hitting a few line drives. He told to try backside and I actually did alright, but then he threw that nasty change up that he threw in high school. I swung, the ball wasn't where it should have been and I pulled something in my back. That's probably my last attempt at batting - ever!

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:39 PM

Have you had MAPLE before? It is a business up here and after they process it, that is some good stuff. I learned how to make pure butter pancakes and match with the syrup they make up here, my parents are like wanting it when they visit, it is that good.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't understand why I can see better from the left side but I am a right handed hitter but I remember my coaches said your weak hand you have better bat control and I think they are right.

In softball I can hit homers from both sides and it is why they always walk me intentionally, it doesn't matter but baseball I NEVER hit a homer left handed, all on the right side, but my average on the left is like 100 pts higher.

Baseball is a great game, the best in coordination unlike the other sports. You have to have SOME physical tools, but brain, EYES and smarts plays a part in it.

Sounds like your right eye is much more dominant than your left. For me I'm basically ambidextrous in many ways. Eyes are about equal, when I played street hockey I was a better player right handed overall. most hockey players shoot with their opposite hand because their top hand is their strong hand. I was as strong with my left hand on top as my right and much much better shooting right handed.

For those reasons I was always a super strong right handed hitter. I hit a little left handed because my dad insisted on it, but aside from having a tool for when I moved along if I couldn't hit breaking balls.

50PoundHead
03-29-2015, 05:48 PM

It may have something to do with which eye is dominant.

PS--I didn't see zito's post. I agree with him.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Have you had MAPLE before? It is a business up here and after they process it, that is some good stuff. I learned how to make pure butter pancakes and match with the syrup they make up here, my parents are like wanting it when they visit, it is that good.

Have I had Maple? My girlfriend of almost 5 years's parents run a popular pancake restaurant. I get Maple Syrup whenever I need it. Place where I live above does a Maple thing every year and I've gone both years because I do find the whole Mapleing process fascinating. Wisconsin does produce more syrup than New Hampshire, but when you factor in the sizes of the states, you'd know it's a bigger deal in NH. I also live really close to the parts of Vermont that are why it's the second largest producing territory, behind the staggering production of Quebec, and ahead of Ontario.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Haven't been in a batting cage in 8 or 9 years, if I remember correctly I fouled off most of the pitches and made no solid contact. But this past winter, after pitching some BP to my son, I asked if he would throw me some pitches. After a dozen balls off the tee, I thought I was ready. I'm sure he was throwing less than 70 mph and I was able to make contact. He gave me some instruction and threw a little harder which I started hitting a few line drives. He told to try backside and I actually did alright, but then he threw that nasty change up that he threw in high school. I swung, the ball wasn't where it should have been and I pulled something in my back. That's probably my last attempt at batting - ever!

You won't get change up or curves and I would kill them but it is nice that your son give you opportunity for you to learn and you to teach.

Growing up, my dad did not make the Cubs, even Santo wanted him on the team. As a youngster he wanted me and my brother try to make us really good and noticed, we didn't, we were able to do other sports, both of us are taller than him, brother played in NCAA and went to the tourney and I played professionally in Europe, but besides that, we were good baseball players and my brother thought he was better (All State, but playing with Steve Finley and Terry Shumpter, is better I think). We had a setup in our yard that our dad would pitch to us. He threw some of the nastiest and fastest pitches you will see. We had a tin back drop used as the strike zone and basically made us look like fools until we understood. We became better hitters. I was better being a switch hitter, my brother a better pitcher, being 6'4" helps and why he was all state to the point that the college coach wanted him to pitch but basketball coach said no.

I don't know how kids are today, but setting up something like we had would make you a better baseball player.

4 by 8 plywood backdrop.
find an old tin roof or house covering and cut it to size and nail it to the board.
Buy a whiffle ball, tape it up with duct tape and then electrical tape.
You will not hurt the ball but the pitcher can do some of the nastiest things you can think of when pitching and when my dad did Fern Valenzueala screw balls that break 2' feet that is saying something.
I never struck out left handed in high school or legion ball.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
You get that normal cold, we get that bitter cold with wind.

Wind is what we hate, can't grill with wind.

We get plenty of wind up here. Maybe not as bad as your lake winds, but we get those nasty mountain wins. Mountains can help sometimes, and others it makes **** ****ing miserable.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
My brother did say, he was clocked at 18 years old around 93 but he loved basketball.

I was only 81, LOL.

I guess 3 inches is a big difference.

To this day we still fight about basketball and he refuses to play me one on one to see who is better and we are in our 40's.

Even our cousin who is probably better than us both refuse to play me.

Knucksie
03-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Okay, this is weird, do you live in Eau Claire? Because what you describe is what we have.

I live between Buffalo & Niagara Falls. Doubt that the batting cage/go cart track/mini golf/game room/bounce house type of layout is very unusual either.

http://islandfuncenter.com/batting.html

-------

After my other post, it made me think of another situation, which had just about been forgotten. In '01, I'd started dating this girl, Sarah, from the gym. We had some years difference. I was 34, at the time, and she was only a year or two out of college. She knew I enjoyed hitting the batting cages, and one time called up to give it a try. Probably wasn't the wisest thing for me to do, after having worked out at the gym, after full day at work, and then having had dinner. (Would pretty much never go to the gym and face 100 pitches on the same days, unless it was a holiday or weekend.)

So, when it was Sarah's turn to give it a try, I offered for her the choice of softball or hardball. Hardball went from slow to medium to fast. (This was at a different location from my current base of operations.) She insisted on doing hardball medium. Figured it was up to her, so there was no argument. I was tired from the last round, and hadn't witnessed what happened. She had stopped and put the bat down. I said, "get back and start hitting" or something similar. Turns out she got nailed on the forearm on the first or second pitch. Again, I didn't see it happen. She had broken her wrist. This may have been a metaphor for our relationship.

She had me drive her home, and she hardly spoke. She then locked herself in the bedroom after getting home. Her roomate must've given her a lift for medical treatment. Things weren't really any better on our next few dates and her ability to communicate wasn't the finest. A few months later, she smiled and tried being friendly at the gym. I just said hello and that was about it. If there was even a remote possibility of giving another try, we'd have had to clear the air sooner, instead of her deciding when it was convenient.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Nope, live between Buffalo & Niagara Falls. Doubt that the batting cage/go cart track/mini golf/game room/bounce house type of layout is very unusual either.

-------

After my other post, it made me think of another situation, which had just about been forgotten. In '01, I'd started dating this girl, Sarah, from the gym. We had some years difference. I was 34, at the time, and she was only a year or two out of college. She knew I enjoyed hitting the batting cages, and one time called up to give it a try. Probably wasn't the wisest thing for me to do, after having worked out at the gym, after full day at work, and then having had dinner. (Would pretty much never go to the gym and face 100 pitches on the same days, unless it was a holiday or weekend.)

So, when it was Sarah's turn to give it a try, I offered for her the choice of softball or hardball. Hardball went from slow to medium to fast. (This was at a different location from my current base of operations.) She insisted on doing hardball medium. Figured it was up to her, so there was no argument. I was tired from the last round, and hadn't witnessed what happened. She had stopped and put the bat down. I said, "get back and start hitting" or something similar. Turns out she got nailed on the forearm on the first or second pitch. Again, I didn't see it happen. She had broken her wrist. This may have been a metaphor for our relationship.

She had me driver her home, and she hardly spoke. She then locked herself in the bedroom after getting home. Her roomate must've given her a lift for medical treatment. Things weren't really any better on our next few dates and her ability to communicate wasn't the finest. A few months later, she smiled and tried being friendly at the gym. I just said hello and that was about it. If there was even a remote possibility of giving another try, we'd have had to clear the air sooner, instead of her deciding when it was convenient.

We have what you describe here. Very nice place and right next door and connected a water park. And they are our client.

Knucksie
03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
We have what you describe here. Very nice place and right next door and connected a water park. And they are our client.

The previous owner talked to me quite frequently. He used to attend attractions conventions. So, this would give him ideas about adding other attractions to the complex. His plan was actually to acquire addtional land, which was directly behind the Border Patrol office here. It never materialized, as the place closed soon after (before the sale and new ownership). Seemed very strange, because it would've been interesting to learn what had happened to him. He owned apartments and property. So, maybe there were problems with his other business ventures, forcing him to sell out. Never heard the story.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 06:53 PM
There used to be all kinds of places like that in NJ. Just doesn't exist up here. I mean I'm sure there are some "at the coast" or down in southern new hampshire. Up here I'm lucky there's a mini-golf course 30 minutes away. Everyone up here is big on hiking. I'm not. Hiking is not competitive. The competitive sport around here is skiing or snow boarding and I dont' have the knees to learn to do those.

AerchAngel
03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
There used to be all kinds of places like that in NJ. Just doesn't exist up here. I mean I'm sure there are some "at the coast" or down in southern new hampshire. Up here I'm lucky there's a mini-golf course 30 minutes away. Everyone up here is big on hiking. I'm not. Hiking is not competitive. The competitive sport around here is skiing or snow boarding and I dont' have the knees to learn to do those.

Want to ask does it feel good getting into the cage and see how you can do? My heart was pumping and I was oh yeah bring it First pitch, oh schit that is fast. Then the second and I am thinking I am too old for this. Then I went left side, hit it, almost every time but late but would be left field single or gappers. Went to the right side, connected on the last three.

I still got it when I left the cage.

Will go for fun when I take the kids.

zitothebrave
03-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I don't really get a good feeling or get my heart pumping or anything like that. I get really focused when I do things like that. I get severely intense and focused in competition. I guess you'd say I care a lot lol.

GovClintonTyree
03-30-2015, 12:05 AM
It's worth noting that not all cages are set up with the machine at 60'. So if it's at Little League distance, say, 45 feet, and it's set on 65, that's the same reaction time as you get with 87 on a 60 footer.

I mention this because a few years ago I was at one and struggling to make contact. Finally squared up the last five. Went to the lady who owns it and asked what the speed was, and she said, "65." And I was like, " man, I know I'm in my 40s and I've slowed down, but have I slowed down that much? To where I had to work to catch up to a 65 mph fastball?

And she pointed out the distance, made the point about the reaction time, and said, "Don't worry, you've still got it."

Which was good, because I didn't have that much to lose.

Julio3000
03-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Last time I went to a cage I got shamed into the fastball lane by my (much) younger brother. He was a recently graduated HS all-star and playing in an adult league at the time. I was at least ten years past my prime. It was ugly.

jdunn
03-30-2015, 12:27 PM
I worked at batting cages some 25 years ago in high school. We had a softball cage and 3 baseball. The baseball were set at 3 different settings. I can't remember the top speed, but it was equivalent to a high 80's fastball. Once I learned the timing of the machine, squaring up and driving the ball was no problem even though I wasn't much of a baseball player. Of course I was 17 and the ball was straight as an arrow. What was fun and interesting though was to hit 2 to 3 rounds of fastballs and then moving to a slower cage. Ducking at a 60 mph pitch down the middle was common, staying back on it was impossible.

NinersSBChamps
03-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Haven't gone in quite sometime. There is one literally three minutes from me. I am definitely going to check it out soon though.

Knucksie
03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
What was fun and interesting though was to hit 2 to 3 rounds of fastballs and then moving to a slower cage. Ducking at a 60 mph pitch down the middle was common, staying back on it was impossible.

First hand experience at how a changeup can be nasty!