2. Callaspo 2nd
3. Markakis RF
4. Freeman 1ST
5. C. Johnson 3RD
6. C-Bethancourt C
7. Simmons SS
8. Maybin CF
9. Miller RHP

Welp, yesterday was a little disappointing but let's hope we can get the game in and take another win to begin the series with the Marlins! The Bravos will be facing Latos again and you know he's going to do everything he can to be sharp, so let's hope this offense can get to him early and often. (A 7-run first would be glorious!)

I like the lineup construction, it's going to see a break in the lefties with both hot-hitting Callaspo and CJoh in the lineup. Simba should be ahead of Beth, but whatever!

Weather forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/Atlanta+GA+30315:4:US

sturg33
04-13-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm not clear on why EY Jr is batting first.

I'm fine with everything else but this is now the 3rd game Jace is not starting. Seems like he's already fallen out of favor from the magician manager

nsacpi
04-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Fredi's assessment of CB as a hitter seems a tad optimistic. I would put him in the 8 spot.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Jeez Johnson and Callaspo in the same infield, a groundball pitchers nightmare

clvclv
04-13-2015, 03:05 PM
That weather forecast isn't something I'd hoped for. Really could use a good start from Shelby to give the pen a break. If there's a delay early that'd probably put an end to a tidy Miller-Johnson-Grilli quickie. Alex' control was awful yesterday. If he doesn't harness it pretty quickly we could be looking at a revolving door of RPs shuttled between Gwinnett and The Ted for a few weeks.

Oh yeah - count me in with the group ready to give up on Jaime.

dak
04-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Fredi's assessment of CB as a hitter seems a tad optimistic. I would put him in the 8 spot.

Yeah, what I find odd about Bethancourt hitting 5th / 6th this year is that Fredi went out of his way in Spring Training to de-emphasize the importance of his offense and that they were solely focused on developing him to manage the pitching staff. Sticking him in the middle of the order would seem to send him a mixed message.

dak
04-13-2015, 03:09 PM
@mlbbowman
RH reliever Sugar Ray Marimon just showed up in the clubhouse. #Braves

@Braves
Braves have selected the contract of RHP Sugar Ray Marimon & have designated RHP Juan Jaime for assignment. Marimon will wear number 54.

chop2chip
04-13-2015, 03:14 PM
@mlbbowman

@Braves
Braves have selected the contract of RHP Sugar Ray Marimon & have designated RHP Juan Jaime for assignment. Marimon will wear number 54.oh thank god

dak
04-13-2015, 03:14 PM
It's absolutely the right move to admit defeat on Jaime and DFA him. Still, what a foolish decision by Hart / Coppy to keep a guy on the 40-man all Winter and Spring that you trust so little that you DFA him after one bad outing.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 03:18 PM
At least we are getting an idea of how much Fredi trusts his coaches. :facepalm:

CyYoung31
04-13-2015, 03:21 PM
So we have Sugar Ray now? I thought we had enough has beens in the clubhouse.

dak
04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves plan to use Martin in more high-leverage situations now, will use Marimon in long relief

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 03:23 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves plan to use Martin in more high-leverage situations now, will use Marimon in long relief

That's good news, at least.

Millwood1Hitter
04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Still can't fanthom how we wasted a 40 man spot on Jaime and gave up on such a promising young pitcher in Graham. Absolutely the most mind boggling move of the entire offseason, a minor one in the grand scheme of things, but mind boggling.

Russ2dollas
I really wish Fredi understood how important it is for guys to get on base. Having your first hitter hit first b/c he's fast.....despite his inability to get on base.....reminds me of BJ hitting top 2 all over again.

We lost a game b/c Jaime was out of options. The rule should be that if Roger can't fix you, then hit the bricks. Don't care about his arm talent. If the Wizard of the Bullpen can't help then let the Royals claim him.

gilesfan
So odd. If you had any trust in the guy, you don't cut him after 1 outing. But, if you didn't trust the guy, why the heck would you keep him?

Braves1976
@mlbbowman

@Braves
Braves have selected the contract of RHP Sugar Ray Marimon & have designated RHP Juan Jaime for assignment. Marimon will wear number 54.

It was stupid that it took this long but better late than never.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm a fan of Marimon, so this is great from that standpoint. But, it's absolutely the best decision possible and I think we will benefit heavily from it moving forward. This helps Julio and Martin as well! Love it.

CyYoung31
04-13-2015, 03:33 PM
It was stupid that it took this long but better late than never.

Except that it cost is Graham, who if you remember was our top pitching prospect a couple years ago.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Also, I know it's early, but the Nats have sucked. Awful chemistry.

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Except that it cost is Graham, who if you remember was our top pitching prospect a couple years ago.

Yep, that was stupid too.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Blasphemer! JJB never makes a mistake

MadduxFanII
04-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but...who the hell is Sugar Ray Marimon?

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah - count me in with the group ready to give up on Jaime.

That group is pretty big, apparently.

weso1
04-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Pretty quick trigger on Jace Peterson. Freaking 7 games in. Makes me not want to watch to be honest.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 03:42 PM

He pitched pretty well in ST. I'm sure the prospect mavens here could give you more detail.

I know that his name makes Chip's sinuses tingle.

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Pretty quick trigger on Jace Peterson. Freaking 7 games in. Makes me not want to watch to be honest.

I may not watch tonight for the same reason. If this is the start of Jace getting the La Stella treatment already by Fredi then I'll not be watching as much for sure.

Heyward
04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Also, I know it's early, but the Nats have sucked. Awful chemistry.

its early

Julio3000

Gotta go with the hot hand.
/FG

Heyward
Thank god Jaime is out, no idea how he made the team.

At least Martin will be used in higher leverage situations though.

TURBO
04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
I may not watch tonight for the same reason. If this is the start of Jace getting the La Stella treatment already by Fredi then I'll not be watching as much for sure.

But will you post less? :Alone:

nsacpi
04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
We were lucky not to lose Martin who was not protected.
Still can't fanthom how we wasted a 40 man spot on Jaime and gave up on such a promising young pitcher in Graham. Absolutely the most mind boggling move of the entire offseason, a minor one in the grand scheme of things, but mind boggling.

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 03:56 PM
But will you post less? :Alone:

Probably not, I try to annoy you and Heyward as much as y'all annoy me. :)

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
From what I saw, the only thing that guy is going to close is all-you-can-eat buffets.

Tapate50
04-13-2015, 03:57 PM

^ DIS.

Tapate50
04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
From what I saw, the only thing that guy is going to close is all-you-can-eat buffets.

Saw? Hell, I felt the gravitational pull coming from my TV screen when he got on the mound.

dak
04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
GET HIM!

@billplunkettocr: Okay - so now #Dodgers have released RHP Ryan Webb. It's clear draft pick was key piece of that trade. Cost LAD Webb's $2.75m salary

Heyward
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

LOL please, you and others will still watch.

Yall are acting like Jace is Mike Trout here.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 04:24 PM

A band from the late 90s who's now Houston's largest Canon dealer.

thethe
04-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Somehow Freddi keeps on getting worse as a manager. I didn't think it was possible.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Somehow Freddi keeps on getting worse as a manager. I didn't think it was possible.

Dissent is not allowed in the ranks. Someone find a new thethe to replace the old one. This one is on his way to siberia.

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 04:34 PM
LOL please, you and others will still watch.

Yall are acting like Jace is Mike Trout here.

No, we're acting like he's Tommy La Stella! :)

Seriously, get some new material because only idiots like broken records. You keep telling anyone that says anything about skipping a game that they'll still watch (even if they mean in person rather than not watching at all) and you throw out "Stop acting like [insert player name] is Mike Trout (or Babe Ruth)" like you never had an original thought in your life.

clvclv
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Blasphemer! JJB never makes a mistake

Really was hoping the nice start might cut some of the old whining off for at least a little bit (since the first week outcomes left nothing for the haters to do but eat crow) but if losing Graham and replacing him with Cody Martin and not playing Peterson a few times early on to see if this "soft platoon" mess really works out OK are the worst things that happen, I'd hope there are a whole bunch of folks ready to fall on their swords. IIRC, some of the folks bitching about Jace not being in the lineup are the same people who promised they weren't watching anymore.

Since the stated intent was to cut down on strikeouts and Peterson has K'd 5 times in 18 ABs to Callaspo's none in 13 (while hitting .538), what exactly is the problem?

thethe
04-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Dissent is not allowed in the ranks. Someone find a new thethe to replace the old one. This one is on his way to siberia.

I'm a homer but I think I'm fair.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Really was hoping the nice start might cut some of the old whining off for at least a little bit (since the first week outcomes left nothing for the haters to do but eat crow) but if losing Graham and replacing him with Cody Martin and not playing Peterson a few times early on to see if this "soft platoon" mess really works out OK are the worst things that happen, I'd hope there are a whole bunch of folks ready to fall on their swords. IIRC, some of the folks bitching about Jace not being in the lineup are the same people who promised they weren't watching anymore.

Since the stated intent was to cut down on strikeouts and Peterson has K'd 5 times in 18 ABs to Callaspo's none in 13 (while hitting .538), what exactly is the problem?

Stay beautiful, buddy.
:icwudt:

Heyward

Seriously, get some new material because only idiots like broken records. You keep telling anyone that says anything about skipping a game that they'll still watch (even if they mean in person rather than not watching at all) and you throw out "Stop acting like [insert player name] is Mike Trout (or Babe Ruth)" like you never had an original thought in your life.

Point is it's not like Jace has ripped the cover off the ball.

But whatever, you and others always blame Fredi for everything so not really surprising.

gilesfan
Isn't denial a river somewhere?

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Exactly, send thethe to the shop to reprogram him to get back on track or else off to Siberia with you, me and others. :)

Braves1976
04-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Point is it's not like Jace has ripped the cover off the ball.

But whatever, you and others always blame Fredi for everything so not really surprising.

Wait, you think you have a point? Now that's funny!

Heyward
04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Wait, you think have a point? Now that's funny!

:Alone:

Enscheff
04-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Small sample and everything, but CJ and Callaspo are hitting while Jace isn't. CJ hasn't gotten a start since the 10th, and Callaspo just went 3-6 vs the Mets' RHed pitchers.

If you have a "soft platoon" this is exactly how you do it.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Problem with "losing Graham" was protecting lesser players. Why protect Jaime? Why protect 24 year old in A ball YEan Carlos Gil? Graham is literally pitching in the majors right now. We let a major league reliever go (who's don't quite well in his SSS) for nothing. Not to mention he's 25 so it's not like he's old. Twins may have just gotten their EOF or David Carpenter from us.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Problem with "losing Graham" was protecting lesser players. Why protect Jaime? Why protect 24 year old in A ball YEan Carlos Gil? Graham is literally pitching in the majors right now. We let a major league reliever go (who's don't quite well in his SSS) for nothing. Not to mention he's 25 so it's not like he's old. Twins may have just gotten their EOF or David Carpenter from us.

I think Graham's injury played heavily into the decision not to protect him. Right or wrong, he had experienced arm problems two straight years. Didn't help that he was a college reliever that took on a heavier innings load when he hit the pros. I thought the minor league staff mishandled him and should have left him in the bullpen.

clvclv
04-13-2015, 05:11 PM

And again I ask - does anybody really care other than those who just want to say "what if" in case it doesn't work out so they can talk about the "idiots" running the team?

We lost another EOF or Carpenter? How many of them have we consistently found and fixed?

Part of the reason we've always drafted so many SPs is that they won't all work out or have spots in our rotation, but they can be turned into very effective middle relievers - Hursh, Cabrera, Fulenchek, Grosser, etc. will be "the next" Cody Martin.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 05:12 PM
I think Graham's injury played heavily into the decision not to protect him. Right or wrong, he had experienced arm problems two straight years. Didn't help that he was a college reliever that took on a heavier innings load when he hit the pros. I thought the minor league staff mishandled him and should have left him in the bullpen.

Certainly there is concern, but his upside was our future closer. Instead we've pissed his upside away.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Certainly there is concern, but his upside was our future closer. Instead we've pissed his upside away.

Then why did he spend three years as a starter in the minors? I get maybe one year as a starter to get him some innings, but he should have been in the bullpen once he hit AA.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 05:20 PM

It's a Mukaki Rebuild. We need to see what the young exciting players like Callaspo have.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Then why did he spend three years as a starter in the minors? I get maybe one year as a starter to get him some innings, but he should have been in the bullpen once he hit AA.

I agree 100%. Braves in the past have used relievers as starters and starters as relievers to get them to work on certain things. I think the idea of making a reliever a starter IIRC is to have them hone their mechanics. I think with Graham what they were trying to do was maximize his trade value and it almost worked.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Just got completely lucky that they didn't lose Martin, too.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I agree 100%. Braves in the past have used relievers as starters and starters as relievers to get them to work on certain things. I think the idea of making a reliever a starter IIRC is to have them hone their mechanics. I think with Graham what they were trying to do was maximize his trade value and it almost worked.

I don't want to hijack, but what you have just described is my biggest gripe with the entire Wren regime. Graham came out of college with lights-out potential closer stuff. So what do the Braves do? Try to convert him into a starter. I get the reasoning behind Martin's conversion because he's a command guy whose stuff isn't as electric as Graham's was. But there was no reason for Graham not to head back to the bullpen after his second season as a pro. I just hope the Braves' minor league instructional/player development approach is a bit more sensible moving forward.

sturg33
04-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Was just gonna post the same thing. Any player anyone likes, heyward comes in with his "y'all are acting like he's Mike Trout" routine

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Anyone have any insight into the weather at the park tonight?

clvclv
04-13-2015, 06:16 PM

At what point was he ever considered "our future closer"? He was long gone before Kimbrel was traded. We had Grilli, Johnson, and Simmons who all would've been considered as a 9th inning option before they'd have ever given Graham a shot at closing games. They added Vizcaino soon after he was taken, who likely would have been given that chance sooner as well. The addition of Wisler gives them a far better "future closer" option in Folty, and quite possibly soon.

He had shoulder issues as opposed to elbow concerns, which I'd hope everyone will agree is a much bigger long-term concern for the vast majority of Pitchers (whether starters or relievers). I hope he has a good career, but losing sleep over losing a guy like Graham is pretty silly. You've always been a big stathead guy - how much more value did he have over other middle relievers? Remember he hasn't closed a game in years, and none professionally.

Garmel
04-13-2015, 06:19 PM

It's a fast moving storm that's not very large in size. We'll get the game in easily.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 06:20 PM

It's wet.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
At what point was he ever considered "our future closer"? He was long gone before Kimbrel was traded. We had Grilli, Johnson, and Simmons who all would've been considered as a 9th inning option before they'd have ever given Graham a shot at closing games. They added Vizcaino soon after he was taken, who likely would have been given that chance sooner as well. The addition of Wisler gives them a far better "future closer" option in Folty, and quite possibly soon.

He had shoulder issues as opposed to elbow concerns, which I'd hope everyone will agree is a much bigger long-term concern for the vast majority of Pitchers (whether starters or relievers). I hope he has a good career, but losing sleep over losing a guy like Graham is pretty silly. You've always been a big stathead guy - how much more value did he have over other middle relievers? Remember he hasn't closed a game in years, and none professionally.

I said his upside. That's based on many scouting reports I had read about him over the years. If you'd like i can post the definition of upside since your rant post makes it seem like I said we let Kimbrel walk away for free.

His shoulder issues were probably due to starting and never required surgery. Some guys aren't hacked out to be starters.

I am a stat guy. And I believe when it comes to the bullpen, you need strength in numbers. Meaning in a given year. You're gonna have someone who just loses it and a few guys who get hurt. Graham would be in our pen right now. Instead we have Mark Mcgrath. A 26 year old who just isn't very good. I get it, he's canon fodder, he doesn't have to be very good. But my point stands that Graham could easily break into this current team.

buck75
04-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Just got completely lucky that they didn't lose Martin, too.

Indeed!

NinersSBChamps
04-13-2015, 06:39 PM
No more Braves games for me. Not ponying up money for the TV package and my computer is far too slow for mlb.tv

Enjoy your game threads without me. Although I don't think that is possible. :cooter:

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Is that a weather report or a scouting report on one of our bullpen guys?

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 06:42 PM
No more Braves games for me. Not ponying up money for the TV package and my computer is far too slow for mlb.tv

Enjoy your game threads without me. Although I don't think that is possible. :cooter:

Do you have a smart TV?

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Is that a weather report or a scouting report on one of our bullpen guys?

Ready to go in the sixth.

TURBO
04-13-2015, 06:43 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/OfRi6DBYnT3oI/giphy.gif

NinersSBChamps
04-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Do you have a smart TV?

I think the one in the bedroom is smart? Has Netflix preloaded on it.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 06:54 PM
I think the one in the bedroom is smart? Has Netflix preloaded on it.

You can get the MLB.TV app on it.

AerchAngel
04-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Do you have a smart TV?

I do, but I also have ways to watch games if I need to on the puter, but prefer the TV.

AerchAngel
04-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Still got to pay for it, lol!!!!

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Still got to pay for it, lol!!!!

Right. But his issue wasn't money. It was his computer.

AerchAngel
04-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Now if I can get my android to give me ways to get it and stream on my TV from it, I will be happy, but the wife took my 2nd tier package away when BigTen basketball is no longer on and I do not watch TV except for one show, WWE wrestling. Go ahead and laugh, but seriously that is the only thing I watch on TV. I rather read books on fanfiction.net.

I have Netflix, so I watch a lot of that (Startrek mainly) if I need my TV fix.

clvclv
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I said his upside. That's based on many scouting reports I had read about him over the years. If you'd like i can post the definition of upside since your rant post makes it seem like I said we let Kimbrel walk away for free.

His shoulder issues were probably due to starting and never required surgery. Some guys aren't hacked out to be starters.

I am a stat guy. And I believe when it comes to the bullpen, you need strength in numbers. Meaning in a given year. You're gonna have someone who just loses it and a few guys who get hurt. Graham would be in our pen right now. Instead we have Mark Mcgrath. A 26 year old who just isn't very good. I get it, he's canon fodder, he doesn't have to be very good. But my point stands that Graham could easily break into this current team.

And is easily replaceable - with Cody Martin, Jason Hursh, and several others. Mallex Smith has Kenny Lofton "upside". Max Fried has Cole Hamels "upside". And on and on. You act like you're the only person who reads scouting reports. The point you can't refute is that the Braves NEVER gave Graham a save opportunity - not one. You saw his upside as "our future closer". Evidently you're in a pretty small group since the organization never even gave him a look.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Waiting on the network to get their advertising in. Get Em on the damn field c

thewupk
04-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Now if I can get my android to give me ways to get it and stream on my TV from it, I will be happy, but the wife took my 2nd tier package away when BigTen basketball is no longer on and I do not watch TV except for one show, WWE wrestling. Go ahead and laugh, but seriously that is the only thing I watch on TV. I rather read books on fanfiction.net.

I have Netflix, so I watch a lot of that (Startrek mainly) if I need my TV fix.

you should be able to get an hdmi mini cable to connect your android device to your tv and it will play whatever is on your phone/tablet/etc.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:05 PM
you should be able to get an hdmi mini cable to connect your android device to your tv and it will play whatever is on your phone/tablet/etc.

If you have an android device and a Samsung, they can connect wireless.

thewupk
04-13-2015, 07:07 PM
If you have an android device and a Samsung, they can connect wireless.

true. i love my samsung tv and phone. i'm definitely a fan boy.

thewupk
04-13-2015, 07:13 PM
lol EY

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:13 PM
So glad Hart provided Fredi with another **** OBP player to bat at the top.

thewupk
04-13-2015, 07:15 PM
So glad Hart provided Fredi with another **** OBP player to bat at the top.

just remember spring training matters this year

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:17 PM
just remember spring training matters this year

Jace sucks, but Young is great. You can already tell Jace is going to get the Stella! treatment from Fredi. So weird.

The Chosen One
04-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Or maybe Hart wants Fredi to see what value he can get for Callaspo and EY Jr. I haven't seen any indication that Hart still isn't going to try and tank this year despite the hot start.

Dalyn
I expect another, "The book is out on him," comment soon.

jsebe10
Prado hitting 4th? Hmm

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Or maybe Hart wants Fredi to see what value he can get for Callaspo and EY Jr. I haven't seen any indication that Hart still isn't going to try and tank this year despite the hot start.

So now Hart is making Fredi use a certain lineup? I thought that was just a Wren thing.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:20 PM
I expect another, "The book is out on him," comment soon.

Fckn Fredi...the book is definitely out on him...why can't Hart see that.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Fckn Fredi...the book is definitely out on him...why can't Hart see that.

"What's the book on that Fredi guy?"

"He doesn't read."

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:22 PM

"He doesn't read."

A cook book probably.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Only 3B on the team that can make that play.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:23 PM
A cook book probably.

"Today, we're going to show you how to make a meathead."

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Here come the Marlins and their fckn foul balls

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:26 PM
This is hilarious.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Wow. Kudos. That was a fantastic at-bat.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:27 PM
This is hilarious.

Douchey Espinosa's horrible @ss hit a HR today. Dan could be getting the Ax soon

sturg33
04-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Miller struggles putting people away

DirkPiggler
04-13-2015, 07:30 PM

"He doesn't read."

Don't know, but I'll bet it hasn't been colored in yet.

chop2chip
04-13-2015, 07:30 PM
I like Shelby's arm, but he really needs a 3rd pitch or he will never pitch deep into games. Reminds me rookie year Teheran.

The Chosen One
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Wooo CJ trade value going up.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Looks like good CJ now.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Fish Dicks!

UNCBlue012
Yeah, let's not start CJ. - Fredi

cajunrevenge
We can't trade CJ, we need his bat in the lineup!

buck75
04-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Looks like good CJ now.

More like 2013 CJ (hopefully).

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Good AB, a BB for CB.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Beth taking a walk is like a dream!

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Jeez. That kid is so good.

The Chosen One
Horacio needs to be fired.

thethe
Seriously? Freddi is going to challenge that? What the hell is he looking at?

Five
04-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Good challenge Fred

TXBravesFan
Is Horacio Ramirez still the replay coordinator or whatever? Cause I don't get that.

Dalyn
How in the HELL do you use a challenge there?

AerchAngel
04-13-2015, 07:44 PM
You have to tip your cap to Jellich on that catch.

Your pal, Fredi

jsebe10
Seriously? Freddi is going to challenge that? What the hell is he looking at?

I can't stand him man. I really can't stand him. We need to cure this franchise and team of hack managing.

Runnin
Fredi right on top of that play.

chop2chip
Yeah... The Fredi Sharks deserve to be unleashed. That was a disgusting challenge.

dak
That is the second dumbfounding challenge by Horacio this year. Concerning.

drewdat
04-13-2015, 07:45 PM
We struggled against this guy last time out, so runs are at a premium. The challenge was a risk worth taking.

Garmel
How in the HELL do you use a challenge there?

Easy answer.
:fredi:

Dalyn
Hope we don't have any bad calls today.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:46 PM
We struggled against this guy last time out, so runs are at a premium. The challenge was a risk worth taking.

Haha. That must be whats going through Fat@ss's mind.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 07:46 PM

Struggled against him? :happy0157::happy0157:

thethe
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
So I think Maybin needs to get that look. I was ok with giving EYJ a look but Maybin has hit the ball hard a bunch of times now.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 07:48 PM

Yeah, we only beat him 12-2.

Dalyn
Nice play.

jsebe10
GET THE BALL DOWN!!!

NinersSBChamps
04-13-2015, 07:49 PM

No luck. I can only download apps from the yahoo App Store.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 07:51 PM
So I think Maybin needs to get that look. I was ok with giving EYJ a look but Maybin has hit the ball hard a bunch of times now.

He spanked that ball. And Yelich showed the value of a good defensive outfield.

thethe
04-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Geez, Yelich is going to be so damn good for the next 10 years.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Small ball getting us right now. Miller hasn't looked bad at all, just missing his off speed stuff a bit again tonight.

thethe
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Against any other LFer the Braves have a 2-1 lead right now. Defense matters for sure.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Horacio has worked a little too much in the last few days, so Juan Jaime is on replay duty. You don't really want him in there for a high-leverage challenge, but you go to war with the army you have.

chop2chip
04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Small ball getting us right now. Miller hasn't looked bad at all, just missing his off speed stuff a bit again tonight.
He's been a strike thrower this year. If he can do that he has a pretty high floor.

thethe
04-13-2015, 07:59 PM
EYJ smacked that ball.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Lol he would right?

sturg33
04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
I guess I'm a bad fan for wanting EYJ to fail, but I feel it will help the long term success of the team the faster we move on

The Chosen One
04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Callaspo... Almospo.

thethe
I guess I'm a bad fan for wanting EYJ to fail, but I feel it will help the long term success of the team the faster we move on

These things will work themselves out. Its just an experimental year for the most part anyway.

Dalyn

He'll get the starts regardless of his performance.

cajunrevenge
04-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Come on white Heywood.

zitothebrave
04-13-2015, 08:02 PM
And is easily replaceable - with Cody Martin, Jason Hursh, and several others. Mallex Smith has Kenny Lofton "upside". Max Fried has Cole Hamels "upside". And on and on. You act like you're the only person who reads scouting reports. The point you can't refute is that the Braves NEVER gave Graham a save opportunity - not one. You saw his upside as "our future closer". Evidently you're in a pretty small group since the organization never even gave him a look.

You make it sound like there has never been anyone one organization has let go of a player that hasn't turned around.

Dodgers never gave Victorino a look at the OF he must not have been good. Josh Hamilton? Dan Uggla? Joakim Soria? Joey Bats? Johan Santana? RA Dickey? Grilli? Could go on with successful rule 5 draftees

The Chosen One
04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
He'll get the starts regardless of his performance.

Not necessarily. I mean Fredi did bench BJ and Uggla at some point.

thethe
04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
I'd like to see Markakis hit a ball hard. I would even admit his lack of power thus far has been concerning.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Six-hopper through the infield will do.

thethe
Good AB Nick.

Julio3000
That's good, too.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Freeman is NOT swinging a hot bat, Chip. Don't know why he keeps saying that.

BlackwaterPark
04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
I'd like to see Markakis hit a ball hard. I would even admit his lack of power thus far has been concerning.

Dude just had neck surgery. He will have reduced power. Hell he will probably turn into McClouth soon.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 08:07 PM
You make it sound like there has never been anyone one organization has let go of a player that hasn't turned around.

Dodgers never gave Victorino a look at the OF he must not have been good. Josh Hamilton? Dan Uggla? Joakim Soria? Joey Bats? Johan Santana? RA Dickey? Grilli? Could go on with successful rule 5 draftees

The list of successful Rule 5's is a lot shorter than the list of discards that remained discards. That doesn't mean Graham won't be successful and that the decision not to protect him won't turn out to be a mistake, but your reasoning doesn't really hold up.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 08:08 PM

Looks like Fredi needs to let Freeman start hugging people again.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Freddie's strikeout count is worrying me early on.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 08:09 PM

He didn't go on that check swing. Just another "good ole boy" umpire blowing a call.

mossy

Crap check swing call.

BlackwaterPark

IMO this will be his worst season in years. No reason to throw him a strike at all.

dak
Indians sign Ryan Webb to minor league deal. Welp, Sugar Ray baby!

Garmel
04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Great play by Shelby!

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Miller!

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Hopefully we finally get to Gary Busey this inning.

CrimsonCowboy
04-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Rain delay

USMA76
04-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Rain delay

Between the current rain delay and the one before the game, will the field even be playable if the weather lets up?

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Between the current rain delay and the one before the game, will the field even be playable if the weather lets up?

Oh yea. Drainage system under the turf. This will be a week long thing so get accustom.

NinersSBChamps
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Just wait until 2017!

Hawk
04-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Is Horacio still doing that? Because I don't see how anybody watching a replay might have thought that Yelich ever lost the ball.

clvclv
04-13-2015, 08:41 PM

And you make it sound like we "lost" Cy Young.

When Graham has the type of success that any of those guys you just listed has, we'll talk.

Carp
04-13-2015, 08:45 PM

He should have at least another homer and a double if not for some ridiculous bad luck. May be he isn't hitting like A-Gon right now, but he's been putting good wood on the ball all week.

clvclv
04-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Is Horacio still doing that? Because I don't see how anybody watching a replay might have thought that Yelich ever lost the ball.

He was announced as some kind of Coach the other night, but it wasn't the "review guy". Don't think anyone has one of those now.

"• Managers may now invoke instant replay from the dugout and will no longer be required to approach the calling umpire to challenge a call. Managers may hold play from the top step of the dugout by signaling to players and the home plate umpire that he is considering a challenge. A decision can be communicated verbally or with a hand signal. To challenge an inning-ending call, managers will be required to leave the dugout immediately in order to hold the defensive team on the field."

Fredi had to leave the dugout since it was the last play of the inning.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/releases/releases.jsp?content=022015

cajunrevenge
04-13-2015, 08:49 PM
He should have at least another homer and a double if not for some ridiculous bad luck. May be he isn't hitting like A-Gon right now, but he's been putting good wood on the ball all week.

Sorry, I jinxed him by picking him in beat the Streak.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:52 PM

He's swinging at terrible pitches nearly every at-bat. There is no way to twist .259 .259 .444 into swinging a hot bat.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Surprised Latos is coming back out.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Strike? :happy0157:

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Cost us there.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:58 PM
One of the hardest hit balls all year. Nice! :tchop:

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Wow. :tchop:

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Not the swing we want to see from Simmons.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
:tchop::tchop::tchop:

BlackwaterPark
04-13-2015, 09:02 PM
score?

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:02 PM
score?

1-1

Millwood1Hitter
04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna say this about Graham.

I just don't understand our logic over leaving him unprotected while protecting Jaime, and I'm not even that high on Graham, but thought he had upside to be a good potential late inning reliever which is worth something. Those expecting him to be a future potential closer is, eh, being a homer IMO which is what this organization did with Jaime, fell in love with his arm but he's at the stage where it's proven he is what he is....a big armed AAAA player.

Again most baffling move of the offseason, albeit small in the grand scheme of things, absolutely baffling.

And to think we almost lost Martin as well, who is quietly becoming my favorite Braves pitcher post Kimbrel. Guy looks to be a keeper, and hopefully he can keep this up and be our next Beachy?

cajunrevenge
04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Did we just have a catcher manufacture his own run? I like having some speed from the catcher position.

Carp
04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
He's swinging at terrible pitches nearly every at-bat. There is no way to twist .259 .259 .444 into swinging a hot bat.

He had a double taken away by a crazy good play by Stanton and homer that the wind kept in the park. And those are just 2 plays off the top of my head. If not for a little bad luck, he would have come into this game hitting around .300 with a .500 SLG (too lazy to do the math for exact #'s). He's putting good wood on the ball, even if the stats don't reflect that right now.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Surprised to see Miller out there. His control isn't there. Hope he can handle another inning.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
He had a double taken away by a crazy good play by Stanton and homer that the wind kept in the park. And those are just 2 plays off the top of my head. If not for a little bad luck, he would have come into this game hitting around .300 with a .500 SLG (too lazy to do the math for exact #'s). He's putting good wood on the ball, even if the stats don't reflect that right now.

Okay. Is he swinging a hot bat?

Millwood1Hitter
He had a double taken away by a crazy good play by Stanton and homer that the wind kept in the park. Ad those are just 2 plays off the top of my head. If not for a little bad luck, he would have come into this game hitting around .300 with a .500 SLG (too lazy to do the math for exact #'s). He's putting good wood on the ball, even if the stats don't reflect that right now.

Don't forget about that "swung on and belted...DEEP right second baseman....caught in the infield on the warning track!"

...or something like that

jsebe10
Last series to Hecherveria.

Fastball.
Fastball
Fastball
Fastball
Slider
Fastball
Fastball
Fastball

drewdat
04-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Bowman had a tweet earlier that seemed to put the responsibility for the review on Bo Porter.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:19 PM
Good at-bat from Jace. :tchop:

Carp
04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Okay. Is he swinging a hot bat?

He is hitting the piss out of the ball and having bad luck. Depends on how you define "swinging a hot bat" I guess. The results aren't there, but that's due more to ****ty luck than having a poor approach. He could just as easily have a .900 OPS right now as he could a .700 OPS.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
He is hitting the piss out of the ball and having bad luck. Depends on how you define "swinging a hot bat" I guess. The results aren't there, but that's due more to ****ty luck than having a poor approach.

He had a BABIP of .375 coming into the game. How is that having bad luck? His plate discipline is the problem right now.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna say this about Graham.

I just don't understand our logic over leaving him unprotected while protecting Jaime, and I'm not even that high on Graham, but thought he had upside to be a good potential late inning reliever which is worth something. Those expecting him to be a future potential closer is, eh, being a homer IMO which is what this organization did with Jaime, fell in love with his arm but he's at the stage where it's proven he is what he is....a big armed AAAA player.

Again most baffling move of the offseason, albeit small in the grand scheme of things, absolutely baffling.

And to think we almost lost Martin as well, who is quietly becoming my favorite Braves pitcher post Kimbrel. Guy looks to be a keeper, and hopefully he can keep this up and be our next Beachy?

How did we almost lose Martin? We either lost him or we didn't. In the eyes of the scouts of every organization baseball didn't deem him worth the small risk. I think he has a future and he's pitched well thus far, but it seems every year, this board (and previous boards) seems to worry more about who is left off the 40-man roster than who ends up on the 25-man roster.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
He is hitting the piss out of the ball and having bad luck. Depends on how you define "swinging a hot bat" I guess. The results aren't there, but that's due more to ****ty luck than having a poor approach.

My .02 on Freddie is that he's been making good contact when he hits it AND swinging and missing a lot. My concern is that he's expanding his zone a little—exactly what Seitzer was warning against, but another explanation is that he's seeing a surprising number of strikes for a guy with Chris Johnson, C-Bet, and AJ hitting behind him.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 09:25 PM
He had a BABIP of .375 coming into the game. How is that having bad luck? He is swinging at over 35% of the balls out of the zone. That's the problem.

Never understood the whole "bad luck" argument. Some here would pull out their peckers and scream this in defense on Brian McCann..:who can just no longer hit.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:25 PM
thethe's curse works in reverse, too.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 09:26 PM
My .02 on Freddie is that he's been making good contact when he hits it AND swinging and missing a lot. My concern is that he's expanding his zone a little—exactly what Seitzer was warning against, but another explanation is that he's seeing a surprising number of strikes for a guy with Chris Johnson, C-Bet, and AJ hitting behind him.

Seems like he's trying to do too much.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:27 PM
:tchop:

UNCBlue012
I am really liking Callaspo.

Dalyn
Great swing from Markakis! :tchop:

CrimsonCowboy
Yes sir!

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:28 PM
I am really liking Callaspo.

He is doing fantastic for us so far.

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 09:28 PM
YAY

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Phew. If Nick hadn't gotten a hit there he'd have fallen below the Mukaki line. Not a very appealing place.

USMA76
04-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Freeman makes good contact but right at the Miami centerfielder. A few feet one way or the other and that's a base hit.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Gattis not off to a good start behind the plate for the Marlins.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Good at-bat there.

Dalyn
Come on, Betty!

jsebe10
Last season he hacks at that. No doubt.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Who is this #23 for the Braves?

UNCBlue012
04-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Man, both Callaspo and CJoh are doing work.

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Man, both Callaspo and CJoh are doing work.

No doubt.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Does the fact that both Bethancourt and Chris Johnson walked in the same game mean anything vis-a-vis the Rapture?

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Does the fact that both Bethancourt and Chris Johnson walked in the same game mean anything vis-a-vis the Rapture?

If we Freeman walks, hit the nearest church and beg for forgiveness.

Carp
04-13-2015, 09:38 PM
He had a BABIP of .375 coming into the game. How is that having bad luck? His plate discipline is the problem right now.

Mark Simon released a list of leaders in hard hit ball rate earlier today. Freeman was like 6th on that list.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Mark Simon released a list of leaders in hard hit ball rate earlier today. Freeman was like 6th on that list.

He is getting his hits when he puts it in play. There is no way around that. He is swinging a TON and at bad pitches. That's way more of a factor than a few hard hit balls right at someone.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Wow. I didn't think they had a chance at all for the DP.

Carp
Never understood the whole "bad luck" argument. Some here would pull out their peckers and scream this in defense on Brian McCann..:who can just no longer hit.

McCann currently hitting .278 with an .833 OPS. Try again.

CrimsonCowboy
Simmons made that look so easy

Julio3000
04-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Fricking Simmons, man. Ridiculous.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 09:44 PM
McCann currently hitting .278 with an .833 OPS. Try again.

Wow.

Give me a min to let the surprise overwhelm me. I stand corrected. 6 games in and I am a complete believer now.

thethe
04-13-2015, 09:44 PM
I've always thought a hitting coach was pointless. No longer.

Carp
04-13-2015, 09:47 PM
He is getting his hits when he puts it in play. There is no way around that. He is swinging a TON and at bad pitches. That's way more of a factor than a few hard hit balls right at someone.

And was hitting .280 coming into today. Could he be more selective? Sure. But if not for horrendous bad luck, you wouldn't have any grounds to call him out, as he would have been hitting well over .300 with a .500+ SLG.

50PoundHead
04-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Part hitting coach and part player characteristics. I think one thing Seitzer probably did was look Chris Johnson square in the eye and tell him to get his head out of his a**. Good bat speed and ability to hit to all fields, but terrible patience and terrible pitch selection.

jpx7
04-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Phew. If Nick hadn't gotten a hit there he'd have fallen below the Mukaki line. Not a very appealing place.

Often pretty blurry.

Dalyn
Damn.

Dalyn
And was hitting .280 coming into today. Could he be more selective? Sure. But if not for horrendous bad luck, you wouldn't have any grounds to call him out, as he would have been hitting well over .300 with a .500+ SLG.

I didn't call him out. I said that he was NOT swinging a hot bat, which is true.

CrimsonCowboy
04-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Dang. Do like the aggressiveness on the bases.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:50 PM

He is swinging hard and often. When he puts it in play, it's with some authority. The problem is that he is swinging at everything.

Carp
04-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Wow.

Give me a min to let the surprise overwhelm me. I stand corrected. 6 games in and I am a complete believer now.

Hitting around his career numbers is surprising somehow?

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Beautiful.

jsebe10
04-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Hitting around his career numbers is surprising somehow?

In 6 games? Yes it is...usually their BAs and OPS are double that

thethe
Beautiful.

His ass?

Dalyn
His ass?

I was watching the way his balls move.

Runnin
04-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Chris Martin is looking like a stud. Can he go 6 innings?

CrimsonCowboy
Have to like Cody Martin's work so far.

DaneHill
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg319/dane323/Martin_zpso4g2uiyo.jpg

Carp
I didn't call him out. I said that he was NOT swinging a hot bat, which is true.

After this game, it's easy to say that, given his overall numbers. But coming into the game, I wouldn't agree. He was hitting .280, even with some bad luck on some hard hit balls.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:58 PM

CODY. Or COMMAND, if you like.

mossy
Martin is impressive.

Between him, Johnson, and Grilli, we have a pretty solid pen.

Julio3000
I was watching the way his balls move.

I like how Martin walks around like he's on his way to some tedious or mildly unpleasant task.

Gotta rake some leaves. Do my taxes. Get some mother****ers out.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I like how Martin walks around like he's on his way to some tedious or mildly unpleasant task.

Gotta rake some leaves. Do my taxes. Get some mother****ers out.

****. I still have to do my taxes, too.

CrimsonCowboy
04-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear Turner Field finally stopped playing "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" after the seventh inning stretch.

Julio3000
Often pretty blurry.

It's a slippery slope.

drewdat

For him, it's less about innings and more about Clocks.

Dalyn
04-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Glad to hear Turner Field finally stopped playing "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" after the seventh inning stretch.

Another Wren debacle.

Julio3000

Extent them.

Dalyn
It's a slippery slope.

The more it's right there in your face, the harder it is to see.

goldfly

i as well

not looking forward to doing them tomorrow