PDA

View Full Version : MINORS FINAL 4/16/15 Sims, Jenkins among starters

rico43
04-16-2015, 01:56 AM
ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Charlotte 7, Gwinnett 6 (10)

SP: W. Perez 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 3 K.
Ian Thomas 1 IP, 0 H, 3 K.
LP: Texeira (0-2) 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K.
Peraza 2-4, 3B, R, RBI; A. Garcia 2-5, RBI; Benson 2-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI; E. Perez 3-5, 2 R.

CLASS AA

Suspended Game
Mississippi 6, Jackson 4

SP: Hursh 2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
WP: Reyes (2-0) 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K.
R. Kelly (Save, 2) 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K.
Ruiz 3-5, 2B, R, RBI; Lipka 3-4, 2B, R; M. Smith 2-4, HR (1st), 2 R, 2 RBI, SB; Castro 3-5, 2B, 2 R. (.435).

Scheduled Game
Jacklson 5, Mississippi 4 (7)

Lost thanks to 3 unearned runs in 6th.
LP: Jenkins (0-1) 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1K, 2 HR.
Castro 1-3 (.423); M. Smith 2-4, R, 2 RBIs; O'Dowd 1-2, 2B, R, RBI; Rohm 2-03, R.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Salem 13, Carolina 3

LP: Sims (1-1) 2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
Walters 2.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Schrader 1-1, HR (1st), RBI; Oliver 1-3, 3B, R, RBI.

CLASS A

Augusta 1, Rome 0

SP: Barker 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
LP: Dirks (0-1) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
De la Rosa 1-3, 2B; Albies 0-4, K (.167). (Only 3 hits)

50PoundHead
04-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Mississippi decided to pick up the bats in the continuation of the suspended game, 4-run 5th puts them up 5-3.

nsacpi
04-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Lipka and Castro off to nice starts in Mississippi. Both fringe prospects who project as major league bench players. But those players are worth collecting because they can save you some $$ when constructing a bench and occasionally one of them will develop into something better than a bench player.

Deester11
04-16-2015, 07:12 PM
if you're not paying attention to the farm, you missing out on what Hart and Company have accomplished this offseason. So far, Peraza is getting it going, but Ruiz is now over .300, Mallex has a HR, SB ....The arms. I miss the players we lost, but I'm excited for the future..now about that 4/5 spot in the rotation......

nsacpi
04-16-2015, 07:20 PM
if you're not paying attention to the farm, you missing out on what Hart and Company have accomplished this offseason. So far, Peraza is getting it going, but Ruiz is now over .300, Mallex has a HR, SB ....The arms. I miss the players we lost, but I'm excited for the future..now about that 4/5 spot in the rotation......

Obviously how the players pan out will determine the final grade for the off-season. I think we need four of the minor leaguers acquired to pan out (by that I mean have careers as regulars or starting pitchers where they are league average or better for several seasons). Wisler and Ruiz are the ones that look most likely to meet that standard at this point. And of course, we have to take into account how the guys we gave up do. Not just the ones currently in the majors, but the minor leaguers we gave up. If for example Kubitza turns into an All-Star that would be a big minus to factor into any final grade.

thethe
04-16-2015, 07:28 PM

Plus so many picks in the top 100 and a lot of money to spend on the international markEt. Good times are coming

Braves1976
04-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Gwinnett fell 7-6 in ten innings, but it was 7-4 headed to the bottom half and they were a hit away from winning it after Perez stole second with Cunningham at third. Peraza grounded out to short on a 3-2 pitch to end the game. Perez had the best day at the plate with three hits and a walk to go along with two stolen bases. Peraza, Garcia and Benson also had multi-hit games. Peraza had two hits and a walk (intentional walk JFYI).

Thomas seems back healthy, he struckout 3 with nothing allowed in his inning of work again tonight.

PS: Mallex Smith having a big day for Mississippi, a couple multi-hit games and just like that he's hitting around .300 now. That's why this early I don't make much of such SSS. And I don't say that as a shot at Smith, I like him and I'm becoming a believer that he has Michael Bourn potential at the plate.

50PoundHead
04-16-2015, 09:46 PM
I was following the Mississippi game on Gameday and Jenkins pitched nicely after giving up an early homerun until an error with two outs in the bottom of the sixth led to three unearned runs (two coming on a HR). Young hitters are doing alright in Mississippi.

MadduxFanII
04-16-2015, 09:52 PM
There we go, Rio.

chop2chip
04-16-2015, 10:37 PM
I seriously look forward more for this thread than the big league games.

Thanks Rico.

Great night for the position prospects. Not so much the starting pitchers. I'm starting to like this Mallex Smith more and more.

rico43
04-17-2015, 07:31 AM
The defense has let down the starters more than once in the early going. But there is a lot to like. especially when we know that Toscano is still on track and the June draft and the July International draft will be huge.

sturg33
04-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Tyrell Jenkins inability to strike people out really concerns me

50PoundHead
04-17-2015, 09:04 AM

It's early, but I've noticed the same thing.

atl717
04-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Jenkins looks like a reliever to me.

chop2chip
04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
It's been a couple years since he posted high strike out rates, but the arm is live. There isn't reason to think that he never will.

sturg33
04-17-2015, 09:53 AM
It's been a couple years since he posted high strike out rates, but the arm is live. There isn't reason to think that he never will.

Right - but that is the concerning part. With has hard as he throws - he must have very little movement to not induce strikeouts of minor league hitters

chop2chip
04-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Right - but that is the concerning part. With has hard as he throws - he must have very little movement to not induce strikeouts of minor league hitters
Keith Law:

"Out in the desert, his fastball was at 93-96 mph with good downhill plane, really turning over well even at 95 mph and generating lots of ground balls. His slider was plus at 83-87 mph -- with curveball depth -- while his changeup was fringy, straight at 86-88 and effective because his delivery of the pitch is close to the fastball's but lacking any life or action."

Based on the scouting reports, he's not throwing anything straight. Perhaps he just won't be a swing and miss type of pitcher, but more of a groundball machine. Again it's tough to tell because we are relying on minor league box scores which only tell a fraction of the story. In spring training, Jenkins was one of our better young arms.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Wisler's coming soon, and IF they actually did accept an offer for Peraza or Simmons you can bet that the answer for the other slot would be in the deal.

Deester11
04-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Wisler's coming soon, and IF they actually did accept an offer for Peraza or Simmons you can bet that the answer for the other slot would be in the deal. That is a great callout.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Obviously how the players pan out will determine the final grade for the off-season. I think we need four of the minor leaguers acquired to pan out (by that I mean have careers as regulars or starting pitchers where they are league average or better for several seasons). Wisler and Ruiz are the ones that look most likely to meet that standard at this point. And of course, we have to take into account how the guys we gave up do. Not just the ones currently in the majors, but the minor leaguers we gave up. If for example Kubitza turns into an All-Star that would be a big minus to factor into any final grade.

If Kyle Kubitza turns into an All-Star, I'm willing to bet Ruiz becomes All-World.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 10:22 AM

I'd be much more concerned about Lucas Sims personally. Hate to say it, but he hasn't shown much of anything in going on two years.

Deester11
04-17-2015, 10:51 AM
I'd be much more concerned about Lucas Sims personally. Hate to say it, but he hasn't shown much of anything in going on two years. I've seen him 7 times, and I think his issue is in-game adjustments and sometimes it just seems mental. I know that's not what a few scouts said, but I've seen a demeanor in him that doesn't impress me. I'm not down on him, but with all the talent that we've acquired, he's not separating himself. It could still come because his stuff really is good. But, that "it" factor has me wondering.

thethe
04-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Sims still has plenty of time to develop. The stuff is there and the fact all these arms have been acute will allow him to develop at his pace. Another great thing about having a bunch of pitching prospects.

smootness
04-17-2015, 11:25 AM
We're not trading Peraza or Simmons, people. Good grief.

50PoundHead
04-17-2015, 11:59 AM
There we go, Rio.

As long as he doesn't use this music for his intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92d7TvSjHGw