PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Interested in Peraza

seanyates
04-16-2015, 08:44 AM
No thanks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/yankees-interested-in-braves-jose-peraza.html

King speculates that New York could offer a package of two prospects for Peraza, one of whom could be catcher Gary Sanchez. The Yankees seem set on John Ryan Murphy as their catcher of the future in anticipation of Brian McCann‘s eventual shift away from behind the plate, leaving Sanchez possibly expendable. Sanchez was himself a highly-ranked prospect prior to the 2014 season, which saw him post solid offensive numbers at Double-A, but his defensive prowess is a question mark and “his work ethic and maturity are concerns” according to the MLB.com scouting report.

dak
04-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Any time a team is coming to you in hot pursuit of a player, there's a chance that a really nice deal could be made (See Kimbrel, Craig). I have no problem moving Peraza, but it needs to be a CLEAR win for us in order to do so.

I know King is just speculating here, but Sanchez doesn't seem like a particularly good guess. I don't think the Braves need or want a RHH catcher with poor defense and a high K rate. I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.

Hawk
04-16-2015, 09:02 AM
I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.

As would I, although I suspect the Braves would have to kick in another prospect under either of those scenarios.

Also, what about some of the Latin American talent the Yankees signed last season? Dermis/Gomez/DeLeon

thethe
04-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I would think if judge or no deal.

Tapate50
04-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Any time a team is coming to you in hot pursuit of a player, there's a chance that a really nice deal could be made (See Kimbrel, Craig). I have no problem moving Peraza, but it needs to be a CLEAR win for us in order to do so.

I know King is just speculating here, but Sanchez doesn't seem like a particularly good guess. I don't think the Braves need or want a RHH catcher with poor defense and a high K rate. I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.

I agree. And in NY's case he would be a SS prospect I'd imagine generating a little higher cost than a 2b. If you could get Judge, I would imagine that would do it by itself. If JP plays some SS in the next few games, this thing probably has considerable legs. Rotoworld's take:

According to George A. King III of the New York Post, the Yankees have informed the Braves that they're highly interested in second base prospect Jose Peraza.

King says the Yankees' pursuit of Peraza "could be a strong sign they don’t believe Rob Refsnyder or Jose Pirela are long-term solutions at second base." Peraza, 20, batted .339/.364/.441 with 60 stolen bases in 110 games last season between High-A Lynchburg and Double-A Mississippi. He opened the 2015 campaign at Triple-A Gwinnett. Any club would want a young talent like this.

Hawk
04-16-2015, 09:19 AM
If NYY has indeed soured on Refsnyder he's welcome to come over too.

seanyates
04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
I have not seen Aaron Judge play, but judging (see what I did there?) from his size, is he not going to be more of a DH-type?

smootness
04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm of the opinion that you always listen if a team is making an offer, but I can't imagine a package the Yankees could put together that would make me say yes.

Judge is a pretty good prospect, but in his 22-year-old season last year (I know it was his first in pro ball), he OPS's at .853 in A+. Peraza's 22-year-old season...will be next year.

It's possible Judge becomes a stud, but he's much further from a sure thing than Peraza is. I just wouldn't do the deal. The Yankees' system isn't that good, and I don't think we're sold on Peterson yet on the infield.

Dalyn
04-16-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't like the idea of trading Peraza, especially considering how Fredi is already acting toward Jace. Just because he was here before Hart took over doesn't mean he's terrible. I hope the organization understands that. He fits the new approach pretty damn well.

CJ9
04-16-2015, 10:09 AM
I'd do something built around Peraza for Judge as long as our front offices feels good about Jace at second and Rio Ruiz at third in the future. We have a lot of infield prospect talent, but the big thing we're missing in the minor leagues is impact power bats. Judge could be a RH power bat that we need, but he is a little further away than Peraza is so maybe we could get some high upside guys in the package, too. We're going to need someone, likely an outfielder, to protect Freeman and hit cleanup. Maybe Judge can be that guy?

But yeah, no interest in Gary Sanchez at all.

dak
04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
While I think Judge and Peraza have similar value and Judge is a better fit four our go-forward needs, I would not trade Peraza for Judge straight up. We have the leverage in this conversation, so it needs to be Judge and other significant talent coming our way. Not just Judge and throw-ins.

smootness
04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
I just don't see how, at this point, Judge is in any way comparable to Peraza. Judge may turn into a big power bat, but that remains to be seen. And while he is athletic for his size, I can't see a guy who is 6'7" 275 at 22 years old being anything more than a cumbersome OF several years down the road. It just seems like the bat will be the only thing he offers.

Peraza is a guy whose best attributes are his defense and speed...and he also hit over .330 in AA at age 20. That is a guy who is going to be a stud if he keeps hitting anywhere close to that level.

They would have to give us Judge plus several other good pieces for me to feel comfortable with that, and I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to do that.

sturg33
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I know nothing about Judge but his size seems like he is kinda like a Mike Stanton type player

smootness
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I know nothing about Judge but his size seems like he is kinda like a Mike Stanton type player

Judge is already a lot bigger than Stanton. He just seems like a guy who won't be able to move by the time he's in his late 20's. He's already a below-average base runner and only about average in terms of range in the outfield.

zbhargrove
04-16-2015, 11:13 AM
I also agree trading Peraza for Judge at this point is a little short sighted and it would take more than Judge... however, is anyone else at least slightly concerned about Peraza's rough Spring and start in AAA? I'm worried about his patience a bit.

JohnAdcox
04-16-2015, 11:25 AM
I also agree trading Peraza for Judge at this point is a little short sighted and it would take more than Judge... however, is anyone else at least slightly concerned about Peraza's rough Spring and start in AAA? I'm worried about his patience a bit.

Not even a little at this point. It’ll really have to continue through next spring before I get all antsy-like.

mfree80
04-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Huge guys are not usually as athletic as Stanton. That is extremely rare. Judge is even bigger. Being big is great, but being big does not make him Stanton like.
That being said, he does sound promising, and I would be okay with him as a centerpiece of the deal.

JohnAdcox
04-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Huge guys are not usually as athletic as Stanton. That is extremely rare. Judge is even bigger. Being big is great, but being big does not make him Stanton like.
That being said, he does sound promising, and I would be okay with him as a centerpiece of the deal.

Agreed. If the call starts with Judge, you listen. If it doesn’t, you pass.

Julio3000
MLBTR has the Braves pooh-pooh'ing the idea of trading Peraza. Not that anything they said would mean much, either way.

Also in the "weird and probably irrelevant" category—I was looking for word on when Joanie Moncada would be landing in Greenville and found an article about his pro debut in extended ST. Per the article (link (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25148907/watch-yoan-moncada-makes-red-sox-debut----with-one-fan-watching)) the only non-Sox, non-media person in the stands was a Braves scout.

smootness
Trading a guy with a lot of talent, who offers value in several areas and fills a big need, who is almost ready...for a guy who is older yet much further away, with serious flaws? Why in the world would we make that deal?

We don't have to trade Peraza just because they're interested, so don't do it. Judge hit 18 HRs his entire college career and then hit 17 in A and A+ as a 22-year-old. He doesn't have anywhere close to the power of Stanton. He's a guy with good plate discipline and decent power who is almost certainly destined to become a slow, laboring base runner and fielder. He's best for a team with a DH option.

Honestly, there's a pretty good chance Davidson is at least as good as Judge at 23. They're similar in what they potentially offer.

Judge is a decent prospect who is probably never going to be more than a decent regular. Peraza offers great defense and great speed and the potential of a great bat (obviously without much power). No, thanks.

SidSlid92
04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
How about Peraza/Minor for Severino/Judge/Mateo/Refsnyder. MAy have to include a low level guy to get it done there. Yankees probably wouldn't do this. But I'm not moving Peraza without Severino plus something else in a deal that's an easy win for us.

There are question marks around Judge, but we Severino would be the centerpiece, and we don't have a high impact power OF bat that's close in the minors.

Refsnyder gives another 2B option if Jace doesn't work out.

Jorge Mateo and Ozhaino Albies would give two great long term options at SS/2B.

Long term:
C-Bethancourt
1B-Freeman
2B-Jace/Refsnyder
SS-Simmons
3B-Ruiz
RF-Judge
CF-Mallex
LF-?? FA sign?

Rotation would be filthy long term:
Teheran
Shelby
Wood
Wisler
Severino

CL: Folty

smootness
04-16-2015, 11:53 AM
And Judge also isn't that close and may never be a true 'high impact' bat. I would not trade Peraza for much right now. There's just no point. Severino would be awesome, but we don't need to be gathering more pitching at the expense of our top positional prospect right now. It would just be dumb.

If anything, if we really like Judge (I obviously don't), then trade some of our pitching for him, not a deal including Peraza.

Getting rid of Peraza would suddenly make Peterson a must to stick because the next guy in the system is Albies, who is several years away. The front office is not going to do that.

smootness
04-16-2015, 11:53 AM
My prediction is that Judge will be primarily a DH by the time he's 28.

thethe
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Tell us how you really feel?

But seriously, you have brought up many solid points. Thanks for your input.

zbhargrove
04-16-2015, 12:21 PM

Reports say Judge is pretty athletic

zbhargrove
04-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Trading a guy with a lot of talent, who offers value in several areas and fills a big need, who is almost ready...for a guy who is older yet much further away, with serious flaws? Why in the world would we make that deal?

We don't have to trade Peraza just because they're interested, so don't do it. Judge hit 18 HRs his entire college career and then hit 17 in A and A+ as a 22-year-old. He doesn't have anywhere close to the power of Stanton. He's a guy with good plate discipline and decent power who is almost certainly destined to become a slow, laboring base runner and fielder. He's best for a team with a DH option.

Honestly, there's a pretty good chance Davidson is at least as good as Judge at 23. They're similar in what they potentially offer.

Judge is a decent prospect who is probably never going to be more than a decent regular. Peraza offers great defense and great speed and the potential of a great bat (obviously without much power). No, thanks.

Peraza is ranked as the 54 prospect in MLB... Judge 53... if Judge is just a decent prospect, so is Peraza. That being said, I hate trading Peraza when he's close unless the Yankees offer more high upside plays.

In your first post, you said he was a very good prospect... then you downgraded him to decent. What happened to change your opinion so much in a couple of hours?

smootness
04-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Judge is certainly athletic for his size...it's just that he's 6'7" 275 as a 22-year-old. Probably going to get bigger. And 'for his size' means he's still a below-average runner right now and about an average fielder with a decent arm, and likely to get worse pretty soon.

Stanton is an elite athlete for a guy his size and his size still hampers him to where he's not a great runner and is only decent in the field. And Stanton is nowhere near as big as Judge.

smootness
04-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Peraza is ranked as the 54 prospect in MLB... Judge 53... if Judge is just a decent prospect, so is Peraza. That being said, I hate trading Peraza when he's close unless the Yankees offer more high upside plays.

Peraza is also 21, and guys without power are always ranked much lower as prospects. The thing is, his speed and defense also make him more of a sure thing.

And this may be obvious from my responses here, but I think 53 is too high for Judge. The guy is 23 and is still considered a pretty big project.

zbhargrove
04-16-2015, 12:26 PM
And Judge also isn't that close and may never be a true 'high impact' bat. I would not trade Peraza for much right now. There's just no point. Severino would be awesome, but we don't need to be gathering more pitching at the expense of our top positional prospect right now. It would just be dumb.

If anything, if we really like Judge (I obviously don't), then trade some of our pitching for him, not a deal including Peraza.

Getting rid of Peraza would suddenly make Peterson a must to stick because the next guy in the system is Albies, who is several years away. The front office is not going to do that.

Wow... Judge went from a very good prospect to not much from you in just a few posts...

smootness
04-16-2015, 12:31 PM
He's a pretty good prospect, in the same way guys like Rio Ruiz and Braxton Davidson are pretty good prospects. In other words, not the 53rd best prospect in baseball.

sturg33
04-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Law has Judge 23 and Peraza 24.

Fangraphs has Peraza 44th, Judge 58th

Basically everyone has them pretty close. The difference is we have a lot of young MI depth and not much OF

smootness
04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Wow, that is high for Judge. Law also didn't rank Severino in his top 100. Law is weird.

jimsnores
04-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Count me in the camp of those that say "ignore the Yanks unless they are clearly willing to overpay".

clvclv
04-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Gotta agree with DOB and his "for now" on the surface. That said, IF they're believers in Peterson (and Albies' potential to move up the ladder pretty quickly) and Ruiz, I could see Severino as the centerpiece. If we do indeed have them over a barrel enough (and the Yankees have soured enough on him), I'd push the envelope and tell them that Severino wouldn't get it done but Severino AND Sanchez just might.

Severino falls right in line with the effort to stockpile high upside, controllable arms. While Sanchez seems to have plateaued a bit he still has an intriguing bat - enough so that MLB Pipeline thinks it's enough to profile at 1B. Being traded could be the kind of change of scenery shock to get him to work on his defense behind the plate and if he were ultimately able to stick there, Bethancourt, Sanchez, and Briceno would give us really good depth in the system for the next few years. If he doesn't stick, he's much more athletic than Gattis and could potentially be moved to LF. BA's take is that the ceiling for his bat is .280 with 20-25 HRs as a Catcher, so if you moved him out from back there you'd potentially be getting Severino AND something similar to Judge for Jose.

If they'd take Minor I'd almost do it just to get rid of his salary this year - maybe even offer Peraza, Callaspo (as a stopgap until Jose's ready), and Minor for Severino, Sanchez, and Jacob Lindgren or Eric Jagielo. Lindgren's a future Closer candidate (in the not too distant future), or Jagielo could provide competition to drive Ruiz. That would more or less mean you got Lindgren or Jagielo for Callaspo, and I'd think just about everyone would be pretty happy with that.

Millwood1Hitter
04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
:JSIDK:

Championship Caliber Players I Say!

Tapate50
04-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Peraza would be premium position for them who is younger and more advanced. I'd think he actually is worth more than Judge at this point even though they are ranked pretty close. They do not have SS options that they like apparently and we can very much use Jose, so I'd have to be overwhelmed I guess...

yeezus
04-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Peraza would be premium position for them who is younger and more advanced. I'd think he actually is worth more than Judge at this point even though they are ranked pretty close. They do not have SS options that they like apparently and we can very much use Jose, so I'd have to be overwhelmed I guess...

Exactly. He's closer to the majors, lower floor, younger, more premium position.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Exactly. He's closer to the majors, lower floor, younger, more premium position.

If this Peraza kid is so close, why isn't he up in Atlanta?

emk418
04-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Judge is the only prospect I would take for him. Otherwise pass

sturg33
04-16-2015, 02:17 PM

I really hope you're just a huge troll... otherwise you're really not that smart

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:21 PM
I really hope you're just a huge troll... otherwise you're really not that smart

It's a simple question. Either answer it or don't.

I don't want some smart ass comment in return.

yeezus
04-16-2015, 02:32 PM

lol, he's closer than Judge. That doesn't mean he's 100% ready; just closer than the guy we're discussing. Which is exactly what I said.

Tapate50
04-16-2015, 02:37 PM

what 120 PA's in AA\ AAA?

Or this reason : we are giving Jace a shot to be an everyday player.

Or this: don't want to start his clock yet.

Or this: he isn't quite ready.

I mean you could just pick one of a ton of them.

Oh and we are rebuilding.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:37 PM
lol, he's closer than Judge. That doesn't mean he's 100% ready; just closer than the guy we're discussing. Which is exactly what I said.

I don't pay attention to the minor leagues. I have admitted I know nothing about our farm system or any other teams. Why don't we call Peraza up? Or is that a plan later on this season?

sturg33
04-16-2015, 02:40 PM
It's a simple question. Either answer it or don't.

I don't want some smart ass comment in return.

I guess I'm a little baffled by the question. You do understand what "close" means, right?

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tapate50;211654

Oh and we are rebuilding.[/QUOTE]

So that's all the more reason to play young unproven kids. That was the idea of the entire off season. Trade away proven players for unknowns.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I guess I'm a little baffled by the question. You do understand what "close" means, right?

Half our lineup doesn't belong in the major leagues. So they are close to MLB players. Peraza by definiton is no different.

ChapelHillMatt
04-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Might be a good idea to start following the minor leagues, that's how the Braves are going to build their roster.

Also you've been very critical of the Braves this offseason, how can you form an argument when you know nothing about the prospects in these deals?

Tapate50
04-16-2015, 02:44 PM
So that's all the more reason to play young unproven kids. That was the idea of the entire off season. Trade away proven players for unknowns.

Did you miss the clock and Peterson points just completely? Or the 100 PAs above A ball?

Did you read it or just pick that one reason?

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Might be a good idea to start following the minor leagues, that's how the Braves are going to build their roster.

Also you've been very critical of the Braves this offseason, how can you form an argument when you know nothing about the prospects in these deals?
The major league roster is filled with minor league players.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Did you miss the clock and Peterson points just completely? Or the 100 PAs above A ball?

Oh yes the boy wonder Jace Peterson. It's clear how the Braves feel about him. He's already been benched this season. He's already dug himself a hole by his lack of a pulse while in the batters box.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:50 PM

Yeah that's a fair point. Braves have reverted to being cheap and trying to field a major league club by trading away All Stars.

CJ9
The sooner everyone realizes that this guy is just a troll, the better off we'll all be.

yeezus
People, please stop answering him. He admits ignorance and then makes claims as if he's not ignorant. Jesus.

Every other day he is just getting his period.

Chico
04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
There's a good chance the Yankees are looking at him as a SS. If that is the case, then Peraza would have more value to the Yankees than he does to us, and it would be worthy of a discussion. We need OF prospects, so Judge would be in the mix. I think we also would be interested in Ian Clarkin as our pitching surplus is righty heavy.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 02:59 PM
When we trade Simmons away we will have a need at short stop.

UNCBlue012
04-16-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm really high on Peraza, especially since he could be an elite talent on the defensive side and a guy that could lead off, get on base at a pretty high chip and steal. We NEED that.

IF Judge is included, we have to look at it. Any OF talent, we need to look at. If not, I'd feel better with not trading him.

Again, I'm a bit biased because I love the guy, but I'm very hesitant.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Hart is going through the entire Yankees organization. Scrubbing the roster at each level for players who have had Tommy John. Once that is complete we will have a trade in the works.

smootness
04-16-2015, 03:18 PM

'Mommy, if a grizzly bear is close to a polar bear, why isn't a polar bear?'

https://themidnightalliance.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/uhh.gif

Oklahomabrave
04-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Peraza and CJ for Judge?

Enscheff
04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
I don't pay attention to the minor leagues. I have admitted I know nothing about our farm system or any other teams. Why don't we call Peraza up? Or is that a plan later on this season?

In two sentences you have just summarized why everything you say about roster/organization construction is pure nonsense rooted in nothing but ignorance.

Where do you think all these players you are so upset about trading away came from? They didn't just magically appear one day when Fredi had to make out his lineup card.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 04:57 PM
In two sentences you have just summarized why everything you say about roster/organization construction is pure nonsense rooted in nothing but ignorance.
Okay you are completely wrong.

chop2chip
04-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Okay you are completely wrong.
But he isn't though.

clvclv
04-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Half-troll, half not that smart - or close to those percentages.

gilesfan
04-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Im really close to Washington DC at this very moment, but why am I not there?

clvclv
04-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Clock? You mean that thing on my computer that says 6:20?

A-Ball? That means he should be called up, right??? A...B...C...D...E...

dak
04-16-2015, 05:21 PM
:Bowman: posted a Peraza article this afternoon. Non-denial denial from Coppy.

ATLANTA -- The Braves did not flinch upon learning a Yankees scout was recently sent to watch Jose Peraza, Atlanta's top prospect, play for Triple-A Gwinnett. They viewed this development as something they will need to get used to now that they have a handful of highly regarded prospects within their previously weak Minor League system.

"We have no interest whatsoever in trading Jose Peraza," Braves assistant general manager John Coppolella said. "Teams scout top prospects all the time, as we do other team's top prospects. It was just a case where one of their scouts was sent to watch one of our guys."

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/118705200/braves-assistant-general-manager-coppolella-braves-have-no-interest-in-trading-peraza

clvclv
04-16-2015, 05:22 PM
'Mommy, if a grizzly bear is close to a polar bear, why isn't a polar bear?'

https://themidnightalliance.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/uhh.gif

I'd like to officially nominate the above for one of the new smilies.

clvclv
04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Peraza and CJ for Judge?

What would they do with Johnson? They just re-signed Headley and are stuck with A-Rod for next season too.

NinersSBChamps
04-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Jeff you run a good forum, but too many jerk offs on here.

Please deactivate my account. Delete or do whatever you need to.

gilesfan
04-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Jeff you run a good forum, but too many jerk offs on here.

Please deactivate my account. Delete or do whatever you need to.

Please go get some mental health. I'm dead serious.

rico43
04-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Sorry for the way Niners has ended his time here. But a change will do him good.

Won't be missed.

nsacpi
04-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Sorry for the way Niners has ended his time here. But a change will do him good.

Won't be missed.

Who says he is going anywhere. He announces his departure on a fairly regular basis.

ChapelHillMatt
04-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Niners you bring a lot of this on yourself

When we trade Simmons away we will have a need at short stop.

Quotes like this offer no substance and appear to be made just to get a rise out of people. Just stop posting one liners and offer some substance and I doubt anyone will have a problem with you.

Braves1976
04-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Who says he is going anywhere. He announces his departure on a fairly regular basis.

What's with so many announcing when they decide to take time off a forum these days?

I nominate that this song should be played for everyone that does so from now on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI4SzEb5tog

weso1
04-16-2015, 09:57 PM
:Bowman: posted a Peraza article this afternoon. Non-denial denial from Coppy.

ATLANTA -- The Braves did not flinch upon learning a Yankees scout was recently sent to watch Jose Peraza, Atlanta's top prospect, play for Triple-A Gwinnett. They viewed this development as something they will need to get used to now that they have a handful of highly regarded prospects within their previously weak Minor League system.

"We have no interest whatsoever in trading Jose Peraza," Braves assistant general manager John Coppolella said. "Teams scout top prospects all the time, as we do other team's top prospects. It was just a case where one of their scouts was sent to watch one of our guys."

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/118705200/braves-assistant-general-manager-coppolella-braves-have-no-interest-in-trading-peraza

Good call Bowman. It's a good development that scouts are coming to watch our new prospects like Peraza.

Carp
04-16-2015, 10:00 PM

Except that starts their clock in a year where their production is useless. Why waste a year of control on a rebuilding year?

Carp
04-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Good call Bowman. It's a good development that scouts are coming to watch our new prospects like Peraza.

Hart also said we had zero interest in trading Kimbrel.

ChapelHillMatt
04-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Hart also said we had zero interest in trading Kimbrel.

I don't think he was lying.

Problem was he had a HUGE desire to trade Upton.

rico43
04-17-2015, 07:45 AM
I don't think he was lying.

Problem was he had a HUGE desire to trade Upton.

I promise you that Hart will allow teams to blow him away with offers. One reason I won't dismiss Simmons trade talk. In mid-June, a franchise SS might be a difference maker for some club that is willing to back up the truck and load up some prospects. Right now, SS is not a position of weakness in the Braves' system.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 08:13 AM
I promise you that Hart will allow teams to blow him away with offers. One reason I won't dismiss Simmons trade talk. In mid-June, a franchise SS might be a difference maker for some club that is willing to back up the truck and load up some prospects. Right now, SS is not a position of weakness in the Braves' system.

Have kinda felt this way all along. Someone mentioned earlier that they thought Peraza playing SS in the near future could signal that Hart's at least thinking about trading him.

I'd also argue that it could signal that someone's willing to blow him away for Simba. Say Syndergaard or Matz and Brandon Nimmo maybe?

Tapate50
04-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Have kinda felt this way all along. Someone mentioned earlier that they thought Peraza playing SS in the near future could signal that Hart's at least thinking about trading him.

I'd also argue that it could signal that someone's willing to blow him away for Simba. Say Syndergaard or Matz and Brandon Nimmo maybe?

While I am normally a proponent of these types of moves, I do NOT wish to see Simba playing D against the Braves 20 times a year. The thought even makes me start to feel physically ill.

sturg33
04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I think Simmons is the most logical trade candidate to bring an impact bat to ATL

50PoundHead
04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Peraza hasn't played SS yet and that's a big indicator for me.

I honestly don't know if there is a "type" the team is trying to promote, but thus far this season, Peraza seems to fit the contact-hitter with speed profile they've spoken about.

chop2chip
04-17-2015, 09:22 AM
With the promising signs Simmons has shown with the bat this year, I would really hate to sell him low when it looks like he hasn't peaked in value yet.

Tapate50
04-17-2015, 09:27 AM
With the promising signs Simmons has shown with the bat this year, I would really hate to sell him low when it looks like he hasn't peaked in value yet.

He has been hitting some seeds out there, just right at folks.

The Chosen One
04-17-2015, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't want to sell Simmons at all.

We already sold off one defensive player of the year. Why sell another one?

clvclv
04-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Don't get me wrong - I still think it's a pretty solid "no" on both Peraza and Simmons for the time being. But as long as one of them was kept, I agree with rico when he says we definitely have enough depth that Hart's simply not in a position to say "no" if someone were to blow him away. Say he gets an offer like I mentioned from the Mutts from someone and they're also willing to take on the remainder of Johnson's deal to get Simba. That'd be almost as good as the Kimbrel/Melvin deal, and would be awfully tough to say no to - especially when you remember that the target date for all this to be in place is 2017, not 2016.

Sure it's a bit of "pie in the sky" hoping, but what if the Tigers offered Steven Moya, Derek Hill, and Jose Iglesias for Simmons, Johnson, and Jim Johnson???

They're absolutely in win-now mode like the Padres were - they could desperately use pen help, haven't been blown away by what they've gotten from Castellanos thus far, and while Iglesias got off to a hot start there's little doubt that Simba would be a long-term upgrade. We'd get a cheap SS with almost Simmons-level defensive chops, the Tigers' version of Aaron Judge, AND a guy who profiles as an elite CF (55 hit tool, 70 run tool, 65 defense tool) - PLUS we'd clear Johnson's salary.

Not so sure I could say no to that. If Hart could get them to throw in Buck Farmer or Kevin Ziomek for Avilan, I know I couldn't.

gilesfan
04-17-2015, 10:29 AM
While I am normally a proponent of these types of moves, I do NOT wish to see Simba playing D against the Braves 20 times a year. The thought even makes me start to feel physically ill.

Well, they only play the Mets 19x per year.

Tapate50
04-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Well, they only play the Mets 19x per year.

If you cared enough to go find this info ...wow. :FrediPuzzled:

Chipper
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
We already traded the best RFer in baseball, the best closer in baseball, and now the best SS? How about no!

smootness
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
almost Simmons-level defensive chops

Stop.

thethe
04-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Say no to trading simmons. Just say no.

JohnAdcox
04-17-2015, 11:30 AM
So. How’s Albies doing?

DirkPiggler
04-17-2015, 12:08 PM
We already traded the best RFer in baseball, the best closer in baseball, and now the best SS? How about no!

We traded Stanton? I sure hope we got one hell of a return.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 02:40 PM
So. How’s Albies doing?

Not a great first 25 ABs so far. Finally get to see he and Broxton in person in a few weeks.

clvclv
04-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Stop.

Have you ever even seen Jose Iglesias play defense? Do you even know who the Tigers got him from?

Take a little time before writing statements like that off - they're not made lightly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jose-iglesias-defense-in-detroit/

Hawk
04-17-2015, 02:48 PM

:Bowman:

smootness
04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Have you ever even seen Jose Iglesias play defense? Do you even know who the Tigers got him from?

Take a little time before writing statements like that off - they're not made lightly.

Haha yes, I know who Jose Iglesias is. And I agree that there's an argument for him being the 2nd best defensive SS in baseball. However, while 2 is close to 1, Iglesias is not close to Simmons.

Simmons, based on everything that can be seen in addition to advanced metrics, is probably the greatest defensive SS of all time. Ozzie is the only guy who can make a case against that.

Iglesias is very, very good. He's the type that could potentially be the best in the game in any other era.

But even still, he isn't close to Simmons. That is laughable.

Millwood1Hitter
04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
:Bowman:

Yeah we got Mike Jacobs and Marc Lewis for him. Really not sure about them but I'm guessing they aren't that good and wont have an impact.

Chipper
04-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Stanton wishes he was half a baseball player that the Heyward is:HeywardWut:

smootness
04-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Just to compare some basis advanced defensive metrics, Simmons' career dWAR coming into this year (according to BR) is 11.7 in 352 career games. Iglesias stands at 1.3 in 144 career games.

Simmons' accumulative career defensive rating (according to Fangraphs) is 67.2. Iglesias' is 11.4.

If you go from Simmons to Iglesias, you have an above-average defensive SS (perhaps even well above), but you still experience a considerable drop. There is no 'almost Simmons' out there.

Julio3000
04-17-2015, 03:42 PM

I dunno, man. That's a pretty aggro stance. I'm gonna assume Iglesias is, to paraphrase a favorite film, a bloke we know.

https://youtu.be/bJ4t488jRkA

I'm with smootness. Being the second-best defensive SS in baseball doesn't make Iglesias—or anyone—"near-Simmons."

clvclv
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
That still misses the entire point. You'd still have an elite defensive SS while adding Moya and Hill (and perhaps more) as well as clearing Johnson's 23.5 million and Simmons' $46 million off the books. That's another $13.5 million to spend in free-agency next winter.

Everybody hates the current OF now, but clearing that much space would potentially make enough room to re-sign BOTH Heyward and Upton and even sign Fowler if they thought they could move Maybin or Markakis (not that I think that's likely to happen either).

Again, I don't have any desire to trade either Andrelton or Peraza, but the fact of the matter is we have enough depth (and time) to have a pretty good alternative ready by the time the new park opens. They've proven they're willing to move anyone already IF the price is right - the point that rico originally made and I agree with is that if someone comes along and is willing to blow them away, they'll certainly listen.

Julio3000
04-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Well, that's fine. You've made a perfectly good case for a putative trade. I'm really just talking about the statement that Iglesias offers "near-Simmons" defense (because IMO nobody does) and your aggro stance that anyone who disagrees with you must not have heard of the guy.

No harm done. I'm not sure if there's any reason to believe :Bowman:that either Heyward or Upton will end up back in Atlanta, though.

smootness
04-17-2015, 05:58 PM
No, I didn't miss the point. My point is that even if both are in the elite category, it doesn't mean the drop from Simmons to Iglesias isn't that big. That is real, serious value you're losing by dropping from Simmons to anybody.

It's like the people who said, 'Our offense was about the worst in the league last year, it can't be worse.' Yes, it can. You can still score fewer runs which does matter and does impact games.

We traded the guys it made sense to trade....the guys with one year left, a guy with flaws that we traded at his peak, and an expensive closer off a team that's not going to win enough anyway.

The best defensive SS of all time, who is relatively cheap for quite a while? No, you don't trade him.

Knucksie
04-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Simmons, based on everything that can be seen in addition to advanced metrics, is probably the greatest defensive SS of all time. Ozzie is the only guy who can make a case against that.

So, what makes you a big expert on "advanced metrics"?

smootness
04-17-2015, 08:32 PM
So, what makes you a big expert on "advanced metrics"?

I'm not. I can just read and do math.

Knucksie
04-17-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm not. I can just read and do math.

He might well become the greatest ever. Right now, it's too early to consider him better than Ozzie Smith. Sample size.

smootness
04-17-2015, 10:12 PM
He might well become the greatest ever. Right now, it's too early to consider him better than Ozzie Smith. Sample size.

That's fair. I will say that I think Simmons is better now than anyone else at their peak, including Ozzie. The question is whether he will maintain it as long.

Braves1976
04-17-2015, 10:16 PM
I will say that I think Simmons is better now than anyone else at their peak, including Ozzie. The question is whether he will maintain it as long.

Agreed. Simmons is the best I've ever seen, including Ozzie in his prime.

Heyward
04-17-2015, 11:01 PM
With how Simmons has been at the plate this year, im not sure i'd trade him.

Keep him, and build the defense around him.

Dalyn
04-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Only if we can get them to take Freeman's contract.

Carp
04-18-2015, 12:08 AM
It's like the people who said, 'Our offense was about the worst in the league last year, it can't be worse.' Yes, it can. You can still score fewer runs which does matter and does impact games.

Maybe this is splitting hairs since this statement was merely an example to support a different argument. But, while it's been an extremely short sample size, our offense so far has been considerably better than last year. Only 10 games in obviously, but I enjoy watching this year's offense substantially more than last year's. 2014 we had already been shut out twice by now and were averaging a full run less per game. Certainly CJ and Simmons not being huge bags of suck like they were last year is a good difference. But for a team that lost so much offensive talent, we sure haven't been starved of runs so far.

I said there's almost no way we can be worse than last year's offense. I stand by that.

mfree80
04-18-2015, 12:17 AM
Maybe this is splitting hairs since this statement was merely an example to support a different argument. But, while it's been an extremely short sample size, our offense so far has been considerably better than last year. Only 10 games in obviously, but I enjoy watching this year's offense substantially more than last year's. Certainly CJ and Simmons not being huge bags of suck like they were last year is a good difference. But for a team that lost so much offensive talent, we sure haven't been starved of runs so far.

Ah, but fewer homers, so it must be smoke and mirrors.

I jest a little, I know homers are an efficient way to score runs, but I think a guy getting a single with a runner on second,is much more likely than a guy hitting a homer, especially if a hitter goes up trying to hit a homer instead of trying to put the ball in play.

i like the hitting philosophy I see this season so far, and SSS notwithstanding, I like the results so far.

cajunrevenge
04-18-2015, 01:12 AM
I said it all offseason, the offense cant get much worse than it already was. We dont need three 20 million dollar a year players and Gattis to be that bad. There have been a lot of crappy teams with crappy hitters that still scored 500+ runs. we are on pace for 680 right now. Thats 100 more than last year. Sadly it will probably be our back end of the rotation that sinks the team.

Carp
04-18-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm willing to give Stults and Cahill til the end of April before I make a judgement on them. Not looking like good investments at this time however.

thethe
04-18-2015, 03:52 AM
I'm willing to give Stults and Cahill til the end of April before I make a judgement on them. Not looking like good investments at this time however.

And that can change real quickly with a guy like Cahil. Stults is just throwing junk up there. He needs to be replaced soon if the Braves are actually thinking about being in a wild card chase.

sturg33
04-18-2015, 09:20 AM
We are 3rd in the league in home runs at 10. That's a 162 home run pace - which would have been good for 2nd in the league last year, and 40 more than we hit.

Does anyone actually think we're going to hit 162 home runs though?

sturg33
04-18-2015, 09:25 AM
We are 3rd in the league in home runs at 10. That's a 162 home run pace - which would have been good for 2nd in the league last year, and 40 more than we hit.

Does anyone actually think we're going to hit 162 home runs though?

We're also last in the league in strikeouts, and 8th in walks.

thethe
04-18-2015, 09:32 AM
I'll tell you what...if we keep going with this platoon system and find a way to bat AJ and Gomes against the correct handed pitchers then I think we are goin gto hit more homeruns than any of us thought at the start of the year. I just love that we aren't striking out so much this year. So many good things (and some bad things) can happen when you put the ball in play.

Carp
04-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I think we will break 100 homers, which most off the board thought was impossible 2 weeks ago.

We hit 123 last year. I think it's possible we could approach that number.

sturg33
04-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Point is - part of the reason our offense is doing ok is... home runs

chop2chip
04-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Point is - part of the reason our offense is doing ok is... home runs
THEY ARE HITTING HOMERUNS BECAUSE THEY ARENT TRYING TO HIT HOMERUNS ARGHHH

sturg33
04-18-2015, 11:48 AM
THEY ARE HITTING HOMERUNS BECAUSE THEY ARENT TRYING TO HIT HOMERUNS ARGHHH

Oh - right

thethe
04-18-2015, 11:50 AM
I love the mocking on this board. If you don't think the approach of the hitters on this team is different from last year then ok.

sturg33
04-18-2015, 11:57 AM
The approach is fine... part of the reason it's working is because we're hitting homers. Will it continue? I sure hope so.

chop2chip
04-18-2015, 11:58 AM
I love the mocking on this board. If you don't think the approach of the hitters on this team is different from last year then ok.
Well it is nice not having Uggla and BJ striking out 8 times in 8 at bats. For that I'll give you credit.

chop2chip
04-18-2015, 12:00 PM
I will also admit I think Seitzer is great. It makes you wonder what he could have done with the 2013 team.

thethe
04-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Well it is nice not having Uggla and BJ striking out 8 times in 8 at bats. For that I'll give you credit.

Aint that the truth. I really do wish we could have found a way to have Upton in LF still but I like the return in that trade. It would be absolutely perfect to sign him in the offseason.

thethe
04-18-2015, 12:05 PM
The approach is fine... part of the reason it's working is because we're hitting homers. Will it continue? I sure hope so.

Yeah, they are hitting homers. But I think it also shows that you don't need a certain type of hitter to hit homeruns. YOu have to work pitchers and force them to give in. Also, when you get that pitch to hit you have to hit it. I htink 50 has said it numerous times but the swing and miss rate on pitches in the zone last year was alarming.

chop2chip
04-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Aint that the truth. I really do wish we could have found a way to have Upton in LF still but I like the return in that trade. It would be absolutely perfect to sign him in the offseason.
It seems pretty telling that San Diego wouldn't consider dealin Renfroe. You have to think they won't go overboard with an offer for baby Upton.

Never say never.

smootness
04-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Maybe this is splitting hairs since this statement was merely an example to support a different argument. But, while it's been an extremely short sample size, our offense so far has been considerably better than last year. Only 10 games in obviously, but I enjoy watching this year's offense substantially more than last year's. 2014 we had already been shut out twice by now and were averaging a full run less per game. Certainly CJ and Simmons not being huge bags of suck like they were last year is a good difference. But for a team that lost so much offensive talent, we sure haven't been starved of runs so far.

I said there's almost no way we can be worse than last year's offense. I stand by that.

Yeah, it's fine if someone looked at this team and just felt they wouldn't be worse.

But to say it can't be worse because there are no spots below the worst in the league, is stupid.

AerchAngel
04-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Yeah, they are hitting homers. But I think it also shows that you don't need a certain type of hitter to hit homeruns. YOu have to work pitchers and force them to give in. Also, when you get that pitch to hit you have to hit it. I htink 50 has said it numerous times but the swing and miss rate on pitches in the zone last year was alarming.

Because like in softball they were trying to hit homers and didn't care if they struck out.

This team work the count. I never seen so man 3-2 counts this early in the season and even AJ took a 10 or 11 pitch count before he went down, not going for the homer but to stay alive. Freeman is just pissed because he didn't get the hugs he needed so he assaulted to baseballs and their respective families are suing him for battery.

We are not trying to hit homers, we are trying to hit the ball hard when making contact and an effort doing it.