View Full Version : MINORS FINAL 4/20/15 Folty loses 3-hitter

rico43
04-20-2015, 02:12 PM
MONDAY GAMES
ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Norfok 1, Gwinnett 0

Norfolk wins with only 3 hits.
LP: Foltynewicz (0-2) 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K, CG.
Cunningham 3-4; Hunter 1-4, 2B, Peraza 2-4.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 6, Chattanooga 5

Walkoff win: Steve Rodriguez squeeze bunt RBI.
SP: Hursh 4.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R. 4 BB, 2 K.
Weber 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R 0 BB, 4 K.
WP: J. Jackson (1-0) 1 IP, 0 H.
Castro 2-4, RBI; M. Smith 1-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI; Rohm 1-3, 3B, R, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 10, Winston-Salem 5

WP: Brosius (1-0) 5.1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
Schrader 1-4, HR (2nd), 2 R, RBI; Camargo 1-3, R, 3B, 3 RBI; Hyams 1-1, 2 R, HR (1st), 2 RBi; Lien 3-5, 2B, R, 3 RBI, SB.

CLASS A

Savannah 6, Rome 5

SP: Grosser 4IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K..
LP: Salazar (1-1) 1 IP, 3 H, 1 Er, 0 BB, 1 K.
Quintana 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R , 0 BB, 1 K.
Daris 1-4, 2B, R; Albies 3-5, 2 R; Davidson 2-4, 2 B; Edgerton 1-4. 2B, RBI.

MOVES: Mitchell Boggs signed for AAA.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm getting ready to watch Gwinnett vs Norfolk on my android tablet. I'll try to catch the Mississippi game later too. Anyone else watching via MILB.TV tonight?

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Peraza had a clear hit in the first called a catch and out. He slashed a liner to RF that clearly bounced and was then trapped. It really wasn't that close but called and out. Snitker argued but the call stood.

Tides winning 1-0 still batting in the second. The only credited hit so far for the Braves is a double by Hunter.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Peraza looking good so far tonight, should be 2-2. His last AB he worked the count to 3-2 before hitting a solid single up the middle. As I noted earlier, the ump made a bad call costing him a hit in the first.

dak
04-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Monitoring on the MiLB app and Foltynewicz looks to be doing well so far. Only 3 baserunners through 5 IP (68 pitches).

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm now watching the Mississippi game, Ruiz is back in there at third. Smith didn't start this one like his previous three, he popped out on the first pitch.

dak
04-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Update: Ended up going 8 in CG loss. Great outing. 105 pitches, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 9K.

Hell of a game from Folty. I assume he's done after 93 pitches. 7 IP, 3H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.

thethe
04-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Hell of a game from Folty. I assume he's done after 93 pitches. 7 IP, 3H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.

There is just so much pitching coming. This is just like the late 90's early 2000's. Love it!

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I see Peraza had another hit in the 8th, that should've been his third of the game. So good to see the kid bounce back tonight. Folty may get a complete game loss tonight. He had them chasing the high fastball a lot tonight from what I watched through six innings. He also got away with some hanging change-ups when they were obviously looking fastball.

I'm watching the Mississippi game now, not going so good for Hursh after a good first two innings. He just walked in two runs with two outs.

BTW, Mississippi's defense could be a lot better. It's 4-0 after a two out bloop single in the third that I thought was catchable in LF.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Folty did get a 1-0 complete game loss tonight, Gwinnett game just ended.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Johan Camargo 1-2 so far tonight for Carolina including a triple and 3 RBI's. He's hitting .360 in the early going. It's also good to see Albies bounce back tonight with a mult-hit game.

50PoundHead
04-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Folty did get a 1-0 complete game loss tonight, Gwinnett game just ended.

Nice game. AAA is in a different galaxy from the majors, but it was great to see him go all 8 with a manageable pitch count and a solid strike-to-ball ratio.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Nice game. AAA is in a different galaxy from the majors, but it was great to see him go all 8 with a manageable pitch count and a solid strike-to-ball ratio.

Agreed. It's too bad Gwinnett didn't score a few runs to get him a win.

CrimsonCowboy
04-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Mallex Smith with a two run double for the M-Braves.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Mallex Smith with a two run double for the M-Braves.

Yep, that was a bullet to the gap and would've cleared the bases and been a stand-up triple if not for the no doubles defense. That rally led to the 4 run 8th and now Mississippi walks it off 6-5 in the bottom half of the 9th on a safety squeeze bunt by Rodriguez. Great comeback by Mississippi and again Smith brings their offense to life. He also could've had a bunt hit earlier in the game, decent bunt and bang bang play at first. He was called out but in Toronto he'd been safe (even after replay). :)

That said, Peraza and Albies had six hits today (three each), though the ump stole Peraza's first one calling it a catch (it wasn't even that close to being caught, some umps must be blind).

jimsnores
04-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Folty's start is very encouraging. When's the last time he had a start like that? Several more, and he'll be in the ATL. Hope he can put it togeher.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
It seems Salazar could be good if he learns to throw more strikes. So far for Rome he has pitched 4.1 innings with 0 hits allowed and 5 K's, that's good. The bad is the walks, he has walked 4 in the same time including two walks tonight that both scored in Rome's 6-5 loss (Rome led 5-4 in the 8th). He walked 56 in 64.1 innings last year so he's still having the same issues so far.

50PoundHead
04-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Pretty decent night all around. Rome let one get away, but 3 hits for Albies and 2 for Davidson. Bats were cooking in Carolina and big comeback in Mississippi. Add Foltynewicz' nice start and the good outweighs the bad tonight.

Braves1976
04-20-2015, 10:44 PM
BTW, what's going on with Brave lefty Chris Diaz? I haven't heard anything about him in some time now.

Hawk
04-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Was watching a replay of the Gwinnett game and Folty looked phenomenal - still throwing 96+ in the late innings with decent location. If he can nail down a consistent arm slot the Braves have an ace on their hands.

chop2chip
04-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Perhaps a reason for this excellent Folty outing - a new pitch!

Earning a win wasn't the only goal for the 23-year-old, though. He debuted a new pitch -- a hard slider -- and in the process tallied a season high in strikeouts. The learning curve might have cost him as he felt out his improved secondary offering early and gave up a run on a bloop single.

"After my last outing, [the Braves] wanted me to throw a hard slider, somewhere in the 85, 86, 87 range," Foltynewicz said. "My whole life, I could never get it over 81 or 82. But they said, 'As hard as you throw, you should have a power slider.'"

http://m.milb.com/news/article/20150420119472336/

Oklahomabrave
04-21-2015, 01:55 AM
This kid probably has the highest ceiling of all our prospects, developing a hard slider to go with his fastball, and even an average change up, will go a long way to keep him in the rotation.

thethe
04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
The future is really bright. This year has been so much fun and its only going to get better in 2016 moving forward. I just hope that all the fans can enjoy this now after the tough offseason.

Jay212033
04-21-2015, 05:20 AM
He needs to pick Smoltz' brain. He has stuff eerily similar to his.

nsacpi
04-21-2015, 06:52 AM
BTW, what's going on with Brave lefty Chris Diaz? I haven't heard anything about him in some time now.

Wondering about Parsons too. Neither have been assigned a team.

Tapate50
04-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Weber on the bullpen radar at all?

Hawk
04-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Perhaps a reason for this excellent Folty outing - a new pitch!

Earning a win wasn't the only goal for the 23-year-old, though. He debuted a new pitch -- a hard slider -- and in the process tallied a season high in strikeouts. The learning curve might have cost him as he felt out his improved secondary offering early and gave up a run on a bloop single.

"After my last outing, [the Braves] wanted me to throw a hard slider, somewhere in the 85, 86, 87 range," Foltynewicz said. "My whole life, I could never get it over 81 or 82. But they said, 'As hard as you throw, you should have a power slider.'"

http://m.milb.com/news/article/20150420119472336/

So how do you take an 81-mph slider and turn it into an 87-mph slider? It's like throwing an egg, Foltynewicz said.

"I really choke all my pitches, I grab the ball as hard as I can," he said. "But with the slider, they said they want me to hold it like an egg. Turn the knob at the end, throw it like it's a fastball and give it a little turn. I'm trying to make it happen, I was trying to get the spin on it, and it was popping up.

Oh, yeah, apparently he was hitting 99 in the 8th at around/over 100 pitches. That's almost Verlander-esque.

The Chosen One
04-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Folty will have TJ surgery with this new pitch. Lol.

thethe
04-21-2015, 08:29 AM
This is a great example as to why the Braves should always focus on pitching. Thats what the organization does best with younger players. Then you trade these chips for the next Justin Upton that is available.

Thats really scary if he is all of sudden going to have a borderline plus pitch to go along with his fastball.

50PoundHead
04-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Weber on the bullpen radar at all?

Good question. Weber played on a couple of national teams when in high school and the Braves went over slot to sign him after drafting him in the 22nd round in 2009. Phillies drafted him in the 12th round in 2008, but he attended St. Petersburg JC instead. From reports I've read, he doesn't have over-powering stuff, but has the "pitchability" thing going for him. He was compared to Greg Maddux (not in terms of ceiling) when he was drafted in that he's a guy with good control, which his stats bear out. Trouble for him is that he's given up a lot of hits. He'll qualify for minor league free agency at the end of the season.

chop2chip
04-21-2015, 09:33 AM
This is a great example as to why the Braves should always focus on pitching. Thats what the organization does best with younger players. Then you trade these chips for the next Justin Upton that is available.

Thats really scary if he is all of sudden going to have a borderline plus pitch to go along with his fastball.
Well his curveball, as is, grades out as plus plus (60). The only issue is he can't throw it consistently. Big he can add a power slider to that repertoire then you have the hallowed third pitch that everyone has been waiting to develop.

jpx7
04-21-2015, 02:27 PM
How much worse, or how bad for how long, do Cahill and Stults have to pitch before Foltynewicz, Banuelos, and/or Wisler receive some opportunities at the end of the rotation?

thethe
04-21-2015, 02:30 PM
I'd give Cahil 10 starts honestly only because he could legitimately be an option in the future (only after a series of other trades). Stults is a non-factor and should be dumped the minute the Braves feel one of the kids is ready.

MadduxFanII
04-21-2015, 02:35 PM
I'd give Cahil 10 starts honestly only because he could legitimately be an option in the future (only after a series of other trades). Stults is a non-factor and should be dumped the minute the Braves feel one of the kids is ready.

10 might be a bit much, but yeah, this is essentially my thought process. We're paying Cahill some non-negligible amount, and we gave up (marginal) talent for him, so he'll get some rope. Plus, he actually has some track record in the distant past. We're not married to him, but we have at least committed to a few dates.

Stults is just a guy we picked up at the bar because it was last call and no one else was around. We should feel free to dump him on the side of the road whenever we decide it's appropriate.

Millwood1Hitter
04-21-2015, 02:39 PM
The future is really bright. This year has been so much fun and its only going to get better in 2016 moving forward. I just hope that all the fans can enjoy this now after the tough offseason.

THIS! Now if we could just find a competant (ideally young) manager that can help this youngsters grow and flourish into something great it would be icing on the cake. I'm just not confident Fredi is that guy, past present or in the future. I'm not going to rag on him like some, because all managers make headscratching moves here and there throughout the season, that some work out and some don't, but Fredi is just borderline clueless in all facets of role of being field general.

Julio3000
04-21-2015, 02:40 PM
10 might be a bit much, but yeah, this is essentially my thought process. We're paying Cahill some non-negligible amount, and we gave up (marginal) talent for him, so he'll get some rope. Plus, he actually has some track record in the distant past. We're not married to him, but we have at least committed to a few dates.

Stults is just a guy we picked up at the bar because it was last call and no one else was around. We should feel free to dump him on the side of the road whenever we decide it's appropriate.

Chip, is that you?

clvclv
04-21-2015, 03:10 PM
How much worse, or how bad for how long, do Cahill and Stults have to pitch before Foltynewicz, Banuelos, and/or Wisler receive some opportunities at the end of the rotation?

My guess is that Stults gets at least 2-3 more starts. If they can find some way to milk him until June there will be no need to worry about any of them gaining Super Two status - you could always send them down around the All-Star break to manipulate the total days they spend on the roster. That would also give the kids the opportunity to string 2-3 good starts together. That would allow Hart the ability to say that the promotion was strictly performance-based and that Stults didn't so much pitch his way off the roster as Folty/Wisler/Banuelos forced their way into the rotation.

dak
04-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Mid-June would be the optimal timing. For Foltynewicz, that would delay his free agency by one year. For Wisler and Banuelos, that would ensure they aren't Super Two eligible if they end up sticking at the MLB level. That equates to 11-12 more starts each for Stults and Cahill. If one of them completely implodes before then, I'd prefer to call up Williams Perez since he's a lesser commodity.

jpx7
04-21-2015, 03:30 PM
If one of them completely implodes before then, I'd prefer to call up Williams Perez since he's a lesser commodity.

I suppose they could also stretch out Cody Martin or Ian Thomas—though one seems like he already is, and the other seems like he could be, pretty crucial to the current bullpen, especially given the early-season suspension-based attrition.

thethe
04-21-2015, 03:42 PM
At this point I think you have to leave Martin in the bullpen. Next year you can figure it out but at this point the pen would implode without his contributions.