PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper Megathread

Pages : [1] 2

CrimsonCowboy
07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'll let you guys and gals kick it around:

"We play the Braves nine more times. This ---- ain't over"

Dalyn
07-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Poor guy. It will be over before he knows it. Just needs to hang in there a little longer. I am sure it is excruciating.

cajunrevenge
07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
It isnt over, but its getting awfully close.

thewupk
07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
It's not over. But unless the rest of his team learns how to hit then it might as well be.

Heyward
07-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'll let you guys and gals kick it around:

He's not wrong.

Orphan Black
07-31-2013, 04:19 PM

Hopefuly the Braves players have the same attitude. Don't want them letting up, and they shouldn't until they've clinched.

Bye Week
07-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Its not over but they almost have to win all 9 games. Not happening.

bravesnumberone
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Braves are 62-45.
Nats are 52-56.

If the Braves play around .500 and go 28-27 from here on, they'll finish 90-72.

Nats would have to go 38-16 to match that.

Braves are up 10.5 with nine to go against the Nats, meaning every time they don't beat us, that win has to be made up somewhere else with another Braves loss for each win.

It certainly isn't over, but it is getting close. Braves need to really step on the gas this coming road trip.

50PoundHead
07-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Over or not, those 9 games are going to be f*cking intense.

thethe
07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
If the Braves just play 500 baseball they are going to win this division.

ChapelHillMatt
07-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Keep in mind that we have collapsed and blew big leads before.

Let's stay focused. We are up by 10, let's try and win by 20. More importantly let's switch our focus and go for the best record in the NL

bravesnumberone
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM

Let's stay focused. We are up by 10, let's try and win by 20. More importantly let's switch our focus and go for the best record in the NL

This. We just need to focus on winning series, and we'll be fine.

CrimsonCowboy
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM

Absolutely. The Braves know it's not over because of 2011, not because of what Bryce Harper says.

gilesfan
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Its over barring some epic collapse like a couple years ago. That likely doesn't happen again.

CyYoung31
07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
LOL, the Nationals are some kind of terrible.

I still find it hard to believe that they will finish below .500 this year though. I think they may make a push for that final WC spot, but it will be too little too late.

bravesnumberone
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
If anyone's got the talent to go on a Dodgers-like run, it's probably the Nats. But every time it's looked like they might this year, it's been quickly erased. And they didn't pick up anyone at the deadline, so it's hard to see them magically turning a light on.

BRule
07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't get the big deal, what's he supposed to say?

"Yeah, we give up, we suck"

Really?

BlackwaterPark
07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
We need a killer mentaility and need to play .600 ball the rest of the year

emk418
07-31-2013, 05:01 PM
It isnt over, but its getting awfully close.

Did two years ago not teach you anything? It's far from close to being over. We've seen the Braves blow an 8 game lead in one month so we surely can blow a 10 game lead in 2 months. I'm not saying it's likely but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

yeezus
07-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Really?

Yes.
If he says otherwise he's a trouble-making punk.

Bama9507
07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Love his heart. Wish we had him.

chopdrew
07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey, Bryce, Yogi Berra on the phone for you. He says it's over...

jpx7
07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Love his heart. Wish we had him.

Hate his heart; wish I could eat it and gain his power.

Dalyn
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Hate his heart; wish I could eat it and gain his power.

https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/249277_1955942861833_4461878_n.jpg

mossy
07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
The Nats sure talk a lot for a sub .500 ball club. It's not over, but they need to do more winning before doing more talking.

We have an easier schedule moving forward too.

jpx7
07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/249277_1955942861833_4461878_n.jpg

One of my favorite shots in that show. Never thought I'd be that attracted to a blonde masticating a horse-heart.

DaneHill
07-31-2013, 05:38 PM
That's a clown statement.

Dalyn
07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
One of my favorite shots in that show. Never thought I'd be that attracted to a blonde masticating a horse-heart.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/a2e5838483662964a148366bcad03aad/tumblr_mmoadg1M7T1sqvllho1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llq4rbaD9R1qbi3zpo1_500.gif

Dalyn
07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
That's a clown statement.

So you don't feel left out. :flirty:

http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/06_2013/games-recap-ep10-11.gif

http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/06_2013/games-recap-ep10-3.gif

weso1
07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
And... we just went into wild wild joe west territory.

The Chosen One
07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
And... we just went into wild wild joe west territory.
I tell you man.

I mentioned last night that this was the type of tomfoolery that Patio was specifically crusading against and working judiciously to solve.

That problem has manifested itself here and I'm not sure what will be the consequences.

Dalyn
07-31-2013, 06:55 PM
I tell you man.

I mentioned last night that this was the type of tomfoolery that Patio was specifically crusading against and working judiciously to solve.

That problem has manifested itself here and I'm not sure what will be the consequences.

Seriously?

The Chosen One
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Seriously?

:cooter:

cajunrevenge
07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Did two years ago not teach you anything? It's far from close to being over. We've seen the Braves blow an 8 game lead in one month so we surely can blow a 10 game lead in 2 months. I'm not saying it's likely but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

That was due to injuries and a lot of bad luck creating a perfect storm of suckitude. The magic number for the division if we win tonight will be 44. The division lead will be 11 should we hold out tonight, if that gets to 15 I will be ready to call it. The Phillies have fallen off a cliff lately and the Nats are really the only competition now. We will likely be at 99% playoff odds with a win tonight.

Lville21
07-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Well Bryce, 11 down...54 to go... doesn't look too good considering the Braves weak schedule to end the year.

Pugfan
07-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Nothing wrong with what he said. I probably would of said something similar if I was a player for the Nationals.

bravebonebook
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
OK, Bryce is right for saying it because he is a great, fiery ball player. But my negativity to it is from the same disgust I get from hearing MLB pundits talk about the Nats. My belief is that most feel the Braves are just lucky for winning this year (have gotten all the breaks).

Nats deserve it, right? I mean, they have won the division for what, 7 or 8 years in a row now?? It's a complete fluke that the Braves are in first place...

Pugfan
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
I think most experts thought the Braves had a good chance to win the division. After all the Braves did win 94 games last year and improved the lineup a lot in the offseason and improved the bullpen.

DaneHill
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
So you don't feel left out. :flirty:

http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/06_2013/games-recap-ep10-11.gif

http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/06_2013/games-recap-ep10-3.gif

Ok, that caught me by surprise. Laughed so loud my parents wanted to know what's up. Could NOT tell them why.

bravebonebook
07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
I think most experts thought the Braves had a good chance to win the division. After all the Braves did win 94 games last year and improved the lineup a lot in the offseason and improved the bullpen.

OK, then tell me where I should be listening, cause I seem to keep hearing more how the Nats and Philthies are under-achieving or injury bitten rather than about the Braves who are simply Overcoming and Achieving.

tiger2vette2
07-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Really?

Eh, that's basically what Jonathan Papelbon did. And he was right.

mossy
07-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Bryce isn't necessarily wrong, but he mentions us and our 9 games. Right now that 9 games wouldn't even do it, and the Nats haven't played that well against us this year. In fact, they looked literally shocked that we handed it to them.

He needs to be focused on the game being played on the current day. The Tigers just whooped up on them pretty good, perhaps those games should matter as much.

thethe
07-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Bryce isn't necessarily wrong, but he mentions us and our 9 games. Right now that 9 games wouldn't even do it, and the Nats haven't played that well against us this year. In fact, they looked literally shocked that we handed it to them.

He needs to be focused on the game being played on the current day. The Tigers just whooped up on them pretty good, perhaps those games should matter as much.

Even if the Nats win 6 of them (which is a stretch) that isn't going to get them that close. We are crushing them.

Julio3000
07-31-2013, 11:30 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You wouldn't want him to express any other sentiment, but those guys have more to worry about than beating the Braves straight up.

Objectivity aside, I'm glad we're in his head.

VirginiaBrave
07-31-2013, 11:31 PM
All we really have to do is not get swept. That would put us at 3-6, so the fat lady is gargling.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 07:35 AM
LOL @ Bryce Harper

Shut up. Your overrated team is 11 games back and the Braves are actually just now getting back to playing great baseball. Is anything wrong with these comments? No, but he should just shut up and play.

thethe
08-01-2013, 07:37 AM
LOL @ Bryce Harper

Shut up. Your overrated team is 11 games back and the Braves are actually just now getting back to playing great baseball. Is anything wrong with these comments? No, but he should just shut up and play.

Thats the thing...outside of the first 13 games of the year this is the only time the Braves have actually played good baseball. Pitching/Offense/Defense all working at the same time. Its just incredible to watch. Heyward/Upton at the top of the lineup is really working. Hopefully BJ doesn't make us go limp or else Alex is going to have to step up.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Thats the thing...outside of the first 13 games of the year this is the only time the Braves have actually played good baseball. Pitching/Offense/Defense all working at the same time. Its just incredible to watch. Heyward/Upton at the top of the lineup is really working. Hopefully BJ doesn't make us go limp or else Alex is going to have to step up.

One side of me says im worried that when BJ gets back, we will slump again. The other side says BJ Upton is a frigging good ball player and hasnt shown it yet and oh how good we would be if he turned his season around.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 2h The Atlanta Braves' magic number for clinching the NL East is now down to 44. And it's Aug. 1.

thethe
08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
One side of me says im worried that when BJ gets back, we will slump again. The other side says BJ Upton is a frigging good ball player and hasnt shown it yet and oh how good we would be if he turned his season around.

I'd rather not put stress on Heyward in CF. Plus, the outfield defense gets much better with Upton in CF and Heyward in RF. I think BJ will hit again and then our bench gets stronger with Gattis there. Its a good situation. BJ just needs to hit.

thewupk
08-01-2013, 08:56 AM

The team has played .500ish ball for most of the year but they did go 15-4 in late May/early June. They took 6 of 7 in late June too. The Braves longest losing streak is 4. So while they haven't always played great and have had long strethes of .500 ball they haven't had any extended losing streaks. And that's the important thing. The Nats have had several including the big one to start the 2nd half. The Phillies just came off of losing 8 in a row. Thus we have an 11 game lead. Winning record every month so far. Keep this up and we very well may have the top spot in the NL this year. Something we defininately need to gun for as I don't want to face the Dodgers in a 5 game series. They would be the toughest match up imo in the first round.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah, essentially in baseball if you have 1 hot month, you can play .500 ball the rest of the way and win the division. You just have to avoid long losing streaks.

Look at Rays and Dodgers, 1 hot month and in first place.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
The team has played .500ish ball for most of the year but they did go 15-4 in late May/early June. They took 6 of 7 in late June too. The Braves longest losing streak is 4. So while they haven't always played great and have had long strethes of .500 ball they haven't had any extended losing streaks. And that's the important thing. The Nats have had several including the big one to start the 2nd half. The Phillies just came off of losing 8 in a row. Thus we have an 11 game lead. Winning record every month so far. Keep this up and we very well may have the top spot in the NL this year. Something we defininately need to gun for as I don't want to face the Dodgers in a 5 game series. They would be the toughest match up imo in the first round.

Dodgers are the best team in baseball. I hope we get the Pirates in the first round. I don't want part of the Cards still even after our sweep. Let the Cards/Dodgers beat eachother up.

JCarbo76
08-01-2013, 09:09 AM

If you really think that is true, consider these numbers. Teams play 162 games per season, I have always analysed a season based on 27 game blocks, because each one of them represents 1/6 of the season, they are each roughly one month's worth of games, and 27 games will pretty much balance things out like home/road splits and extreme hot/cold streaks which can bias a smaller sample.

That said, let's look at the 2013 Braves in 27 game blocks, since we just finished the fourth such block last night.

17-10 (102 win pace)
15-12 (90 win pace)
15-12 (90 win pace)
16-11 (96 win pace)

If you want to break it down into 54 game blocks it's:
32-22 (96 win pace)
31-23 (93 win pace)

IMHO, just pretty darn consistent, contrary to the popular opinions here and elsewhere.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
If you really think that is true, consider these numbers. Teams play 162 games per season, I have always analysed a season based on 27 game blocks, because each one of them represents 1/6 of the season, they are each roughly one month's worth of games, and 27 games will pretty much balance things out like home/road splits and extreme hot/cold streaks which can bias a smaller sample.

That said, let's look at the 2013 Braves in 27 game blocks, since we just finished the fourth such block last night.

17-10 (102 win pace)
15-12 (90 win pace)
15-12 (90 win pace)
16-11 (96 win pace)

If you want to break it down into 54 game blocks it's:
32-22 (96 win pace)
31-23 (93 win pace)

IMHO, just pretty darn consistent, contrary to the popular opinions here and elsewhere.

Fair enough...I guess some of us see the talent on the roster and always want more but I guess overall the team has played well.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Dodgers are the best team in baseball. I hope we get the Pirates in the first round. I don't want part of the Cards still even after our sweep. Let the Cards/Dodgers beat eachother up.

I wish I could bet money with you that the Dodger don't win the world series. Oh man, I wish.

thewupk
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Dodgers have a lot of talent but I don't know if they are the best team in baseball though. The hottest for sure. Let them peak early.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I wish I could bet money with you that the Dodger don't win the world series. Oh man, I wish.

When does being the best team in baseball have anything to do with winning a world series? Nobody has a top 3 in the starting rotation like they do. Their bullpen is filthy and they have stud offensive players all over.

Why aren't they the best team in baseball?

thewupk
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Fair enough...I guess some of us see the talent on the roster and always want more but I guess overall the team has played well.

We are percentage points behind the #2 record in the NL and just swept the team with (at the time) best record in the NL. Yes, this team is playing extremely well.

Braves finally caught the Cards last night for the top offense in the league. We are now tied with them with a team WRC+ of 106. The Braves 8.0 UZR is sixth in the league (Thanks to Simmons and Heyward mainly). The Braves starters FIP is 6th in the league (5th in ERA if you prefer that). The Braves pen is 1st FIP and ERA as well. The team isn't very good at base running this year but that's the least important facet of the game.

So yeah, the Braves are either at the top in categories or above average. We are a great team. 3rd best run differential in baseball.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
We are percentage points behind the #2 record in the NL and just swept the team with (at the time) best record in the NL. Yes, this team is playing extremely well.
sp
Braves finally caught the Cards last night for the top offense in the league. We are now tied with them with a team WRC+ of 106. The Braves 8.0 UZR is sixth in the league (Thanks to Simmons and Heyward mainly). The Braves starters FIP is 6th in the league (5th in ERA if you prefer that). The Braves pen is 1st FIP and ERA as well. The team isn't very good at base running this year but that's the least important facet of the game.

So yeah, the Braves are either at the top in categories or above average. We are a great team.

Maybe I'm a bit greedy but I feel like the team should be better than they have been. There is just so much damn talent on this roster.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Oh so you have an out either way? How are you going to prove your statement that they are the best team in baseball?

"Nobody has a top 3 like they do"

You wouldn't take Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez over them? Lynn, Wainwright, Miller?

The Dodgers have some offensive talent, but people are really overating it. What happens when Puig comes back to earth (.452 BABIP)? Gonzalez, Ramirez, Kemp (if healhty?)

Give me the Tigers any day over the Dodgers. Give me the Cardinals. Give me the Rays over them.

thewupk
08-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Maybe I'm a bit greedy but I feel like the team should be better than they have been. There is just so much damn talent on this roster.

You are. The Nats supposedly have a ton of talent and are fighting to stay out of 4th place. The Red Sox had a ton of talent last year an were awful. We are on pace for 95 wins and a chance at the top seed in the league.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Oh so you have an out either way? How are you going to prove your statement that they are the best team in baseball?

You wouldn't take Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez over them? Lynn, Wainwright, Miller?

The Dodgers have some offensive talent, but people are really overating it. What happens when Puig comes back to earth (.452 BABIP)? Gonzalez, Ramirez, Kemp (if healhty?)

Give me the Tigers any day over the Dodgers. Give me the Cardinals. Give me the Rays over them.

Why do I have to prove my opinion? That is my opinion. You can have yours. The Dodgers are absolutely loaded and nobody will want to play them.

Since when does the best team in baseball always win the world series?

Javyz1fan
08-01-2013, 09:34 AM

If I have learned anything in my life as a Braves fan, it is to assume nothing.

Aside from the years in the "good old days" when I felt comfortable we would keep the streak going, I do not feel fully at ease until things are official.

Hopefully the players see things the same way. Get overconfident, get sloppy, IMO.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Why do I have to prove my opinion? That is my opinion. You can have yours. The Dodgers are absolutely loaded and nobody will want to play them.

Since when does the best team in baseball always win the world series?

Dodgers better than Tigers and Cardinals?

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Yes, that is MY opinion. Sorry if you can't handle that.

Julio3000
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
As Braves fans know, baseball can be pretty humbling. I wonder how the Nats organization and fans look at the Strasburg shutdown in light of this season's performance. It showed confidence (well-founded, IMO) in their core, but I can't help thinking they just assumed they'd get another crack at the playoffs this year.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Yes, that is MY opinion. Sorry if you can't handle that.

I asked you to support it.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I feel the same way. Especially seeing how BJ has performed all year long and Justin since April. We arent as good as we showed during the 12-1 stretch and not as good as we are showing now, but ive felt all year long we were better than what we played since the 12-1 start and until now.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM

For that matter, give me the Braves over them.

thethe
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I asked you to support it.

And I did. Their top 3 is the best in baseball. They have star hitting talent throughout their lineup and their bullpen is really good.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 09:56 AM
IMO the Dodgers are the best team in baseball as well. They were a sleeping giant all season. Puig might come back to life but LA has awaken and they might not win the WS, but they are very talented, very hungry, and going to be a tough out.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 09:57 AM
And I did. Their top 3 is the best in baseball. They have star hitting talent throughout their lineup and their bullpen is really good.

Why do you feel their top 3 is better than the Cards or Tigers that have better numbers?

Are Ellis (2), Uribe, Crawford considered stars?

thethe
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Why do you feel their top 3 is better than the Cards or Tigers that have better numbers?

Are Ellis (2), Uribe, Crawford considered stars?

Did I saw every hitter was a star? Wow....

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Did I saw every hitter was a star? Wow....

Well, you said throughout the lineup. Did you mean 4 of the 8 hitters then?

MadduxFanII
08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
As Braves fans know, baseball can be pretty humbling. I wonder how the Nats organization and fans look at the Strasburg shutdown in light of this season's performance. It showed confidence (well-founded, IMO) in their core, but I can't help thinking they just assumed they'd get another crack at the playoffs this year.

It does, if nothing else, join a lot of the recent NL East drama in demonstrating how impressive our division title run was.

Go back to 2006 when the Mets won 97 games and lost in seven in the LCS. There was a lot of age on that team, but there was also an incredible core (Beltran-Wright-Reyes), all the resources in the world and every reason to think they'd dominate the division for a few years. Instead, you have an epic choke the next year, another in 2008, Madoff and the franchise spun into the gutter.

The Phillies won five straight division titles, including a 102-win campaign in 2011. They had a staggering amount of talent, enough resources to get anyone they wanted and a GM who had no hesitation about making a decisive move to acquire the likes of Lee and Halladay. And then they got very old, very fast, and they become a mediocre club with some massive contracts choking up the books.

The Nationals win 98 games in 2012 and seem poised for even more dominance this year. They have every sign of a team that should be at the top of the NL for another decade, led by Strasburg and Harper and supported by a skilled front office with ample funds. But there are some injuries, guys inexplicably struggle, things go awry and they're almost certainly not winning the division this year.

Weird things like that happen; you get unlucky, projections fail, good players fall apart. What made our run so incredible was that it just didn't happen to us. Well, it did, but it took 15 years.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
It does, if nothing else, join a lot of the recent NL East drama in demonstrating how impressive our division title run was.

Go back to 2006 when the Mets won 97 games and lost in seven in the LCS. There was a lot of age on that team, but there was also an incredible core (Beltran-Wright-Reyes), all the resources in the world and every reason to think they'd dominate the division for a few years. Instead, you have an epic choke the next year, another in 2008, Madoff and the franchise spun into the gutter.

The Phillies won five straight division titles, including a 102-win campaign in 2011. They had a staggering amount of talent, enough resources to get anyone they wanted and a GM who had no hesitation about making a decisive move to acquire the likes of Lee and Halladay. And then they got very old, very fast, and they become a mediocre club with some massive contracts choking up the books.

The Nationals win 98 games in 2012 and seem poised for even more dominance this year. They have every sign of a team that should be at the top of the NL for another decade, led by Strasburg and Harper and supported by a skilled front office with ample funds. But there are some injuries, guys inexplicably struggle, things go awry and they're almost certainly not winning the division this year.

Weird things like that happen; you get unlucky, projections fail, good players fall apart. What made our run so incredible was that it just didn't happen to us. Well, it did, but it took 15 years.

Great points. As impressive as the run was, it sucks that the Phils was much shorter, but they still got the same number of titles.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Well, you said throughout the lineup. Did you mean 4 of the 8 hitters then?

thethe, dont bother...we all have common sense and know what you meant.

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:26 AM
The Dodgers have the best team in baseball? LOLWUT?

I'll also take STL, TB, TX over LAD's top 3. With PIT and DET being close or a step below.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 10:31 AM

I'll also take STL, TB, TX over LAD's top 3. With PIT and DET being close or a step below.

..and thats your opinion. Everyone is entitled to have one, and all of us can make an argument as to why we think so and so is better than so and so. We dont have to PROVE to anyone why we think the Dodgers are the best team, but since they have gotten rather healthy, they havent lost many games and look VERY good. Those teams you listed are very good as well, but one thing that I think seperates the Dodgers from those teams are that they seem to be the hungriest team in the majors.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Then don't say outlandish things. "They have stars throughout the lineup!" Well, really 3-4 in a lineup of 8.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
seperates the Dodgers from those teams are that they seem to be the hungriest team in the majors.

Can you help me figure out how to judge a teams appetite?

Where do the Braves rank on the hunger list?

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I can say the Knicks are the best team in the NBA, doesn't make it true. Usually people have a reason/s for thinking that, that is backed up with actual data.

Julio3000
08-01-2013, 10:35 AM

That's exactly what I had in mind.

MadduxFanII
08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Great points. As impressive as the run was, it sucks that the Phils was much shorter, but they still got the same number of titles.

Which is its own lesson: you don't know how many shots at the brass ring you're going to get, and you certainly don't know how successful those shots are going to be. We had 14 of them in 15 years, led by what was probably the greatest pitching staff in MLB history, and our shots didn't turn out so well.

In terms of the Nats' decision to sit down Strasburg, then, you can look at that reality in one of two ways: First, there's no guarantee the Strasburg-Harper core is ever getting back to the playoffs (though I think it's exceedingly likely), so you kind of have to screw the future and fire all your ammunition every year. On the other hand, there's not necessarily a reason to believe that Strasburg affects a playoff series, and if you genuinely believe that keeping him out for the last month or so of 2012 enhances his future than you don't risk that for a small possible gain in win expectancy.

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
The Dodgers have a run diff of +7, that ranks 12th in baseball.

thethe
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM

If the Dodgers were healthy all year they would have one of the best records in baseball. They are absolutely freakin loaded.

thethe
08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
The Dodgers have a run diff of +7, that ranks 12th in baseball.

What does that have to do with how good they are now?

thethe
I can say the Knicks are the best team in the NBA, doesn't make it true. Usually people have a reason/s for thinking that, that is backed up with actual data.

But you would be the only person in the room who would believe that.

zitothebrave

So BABIP is a factor when you want it to be (Puig) but not when you don't (Ruf)?

Love your selective facts Giles.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
So BABIP is a factor when you want it to be (Puig) but not when you don't (Ruf)?

Love your selective facts Giles.

Um, I talked about how Ruf is going to come down. Nice try tho, jack leg.

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:40 AM
If the Dodgers were healthy all year they would have one of the best records in baseball. They are absolutely freakin loaded.

It's the SAME team other than Puig and Hanley. And if you think Hanley and Puig are going to stay this hot, all year, then I'd like to sell you some things.

thethe
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM
It's the SAME team other than Puig and Hanley. And if you think Hanley and Puig are going to stay this hot, all year, then I'd like to sell you some things.

Greinke wasn't hurt this year?

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I'll take STL and PIT and you can have LAD....I'll give you 2:1 odds on an avatar bet.

thethe
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll take STL and PIT and you can have LAD....I'll give you 2:1 odds on an avatar bet.

Picking any team to win a world series is a crapshoot. You are such a degenerate gambler. I feel sorry for you.

I will still say and believe the Dodgers are the best team in baseball even if they don't win the world series.

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Greinke wasn't hurt this year?

He missed 5 starts....

BRule
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Picking any team to win a world series is a crapshoot. You are such a degenerate gambler. I feel sorry for you.

I will still say and believe the Dodgers are the best team in baseball even if they don't win the world series.

An avatar bet = degenerate gambler?

LOL

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Um, I talked about how Ruf is going to come down. Nice try tho, jack leg.

Didn't talk about it when you posted slash lines of him and Gattis.

bravesnumberone
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
The Dodgers are really good, but how are they any "hungrier" than the Rays? Have you guys seen what they've been doing?

I'm not going to get into the advanced stats because any of these teams mentioned could beat any of the others on any given day.

But if I had to pick one team right now over any other, I'd stick with my preseason WS pick of the Tigers.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Didn't talk about it when you posted slash lines of him and Gattis.

Its in the same effin thread. Maybe I should add an idiot factor to the posts so Zito can follow.

VirginiaBrave
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
At this point, excuses aside we have a better record than the Dodgers do. The reasons for that are valid but we have a better record. That makes the Braves the better team...period.

Dunit24
08-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Can you help me figure out how to judge a teams appetite?

Where do the Braves rank on the hunger list?

#1 now that turner field has a waffle house.

...waiting for you now to argue that

Dalyn
08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
And this is exactly what I was trying to derail.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM

I'd bet provided health they win the NL.

Whether they won it all is another story.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Tigers, barely.

Over the Cards, yes.

Better rotation by far lead by the best pitcher on the planet. Better bullpen, not quite a better lineup but not too far off.

What rotation do you take in a playoff series.

Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Nolasco or Waino, Miller, Westbrook, Lynn.

Dodgers kill them in the rotation.

BRule
08-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Tigers, barely.

Over the Cards, yes.

Better rotation by far lead by the best pitcher on the planet. Better bullpen, not quite a better lineup but not too far off.

What rotation do you take in a playoff series.

Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Nolasco or Waino, Miller, Westbrook, Lynn.

Dodgers kill them in the rotation.

Wainwright is just as good as Kershaw

Miller is having a much better year than Greinke

the other 4 are all interchangable.

Also, STL has better BP numbers and Mujica and Rosenthal > Jensen and League or whatever combo they are using this week.

thethe
08-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Just as good as Kershaw. Sure thing

Enscheff
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Well that's the beauty of baseball. The Braves just handled Wainwrite and the Cards, and if that had been the NLCS rather than a random series in July we would be beside ourselves with joy.

Fact of the matter is that Minor and Teheran have shown they are capable of shutting another team down, and the Braves have enough studs in the lineup to win a close game singlehandedly. In the postseason it's usually about your studs being studs, or someone who isn't a stud playing out of their mind for a week.

For the record, I expect JUpton to go full Beltran this postseason.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Just as good as Kershaw. Sure thing

Why isn't he? Their numbers are eerily close.

Dalyn
08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Well that's the beauty of baseball. The Braves just handled Wainwrite and the Cards, and if that had been the NLCS rather than a random series in July we would be beside ourselves with joy.

Fact of the matter is that Minor and Teheran have shown they are capable of shutting another team down, and the Braves have enough studs in the lineup to win a close game singlehandedly. In the postseason it's usually about your studs being studs, or someone who isn't a stud playing out of their mind for a week.

For the record, I expect JUpton to go full Beltran this postseason.

And I expect Johnson to go full Lemke.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Wainwright is just as good as Kershaw

Miller is having a much better year than Greinke

the other 4 are all interchangable.

Also, STL has better BP numbers and Mujica and Rosenthal > Jensen and League or whatever combo they are using this week.

My fat white ass Waino is as good as Kershaw.

Greinke has also been out for a month and is just now pitching like he can or capable.

Ryu has an ERA under 3. No team in the NL except maybe Washington can match that top 3.

They use Jansen, Belasario, Paco Rodriguez and some others out of the pen. League doesn't pitch except in mop up duty or blowouts.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Why isn't he? Their numbers are eerily close.

Yeah, except Kershaw has an ERA under 2, but they are close.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, except Kershaw has an ERA under 2, but they are close.

He also pitches in LA. Wainwright has a lower FIP and xFIP, I believe. They are close in K's, walks, homers.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
My fat white ass Waino is as good as Kershaw.

Greinke has also been out for a month and is just now pitching like he can or capable.

Ryu has an ERA under 3. No team in the NL except maybe Washington can match that top 3.

They use Jansen, Belasario, Paco Rodriguez and some others out of the pen. League doesn't pitch except in mop up duty or blowouts.

What are Wainwright, Lynn, and MIller's numbers compared to the 3 in LA, adjusted for park?

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:36 PM
What are Wainwright, Lynn, and MIller's numbers compared to the 3 in LA, adjusted for park?

No idea, but I'll take the Dodgers top 4, you take the Cards top 4.

I'll win the NL, you'll be sitting at home watching the WS.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:37 PM
He also pitches in LA. Wainwright has a lower FIP and xFIP, I believe. They are close in K's, walks, homers.

Not like Busch is a bandbox.

Even still, Kershaw is by far better than Waino.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Not like Busch is a bandbox.

Even still, Kershaw is by far better than Waino.

Why? Bc you say so? You also say D"arnaud plays for the Phils.

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:43 PM

Thought you meant the Mets.

Philly has Joseph and Valle as young catchers, so.....

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Umm, because he is?

Maybe not by far better but he's had a better year than Waino.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Umm, because he is?

Maybe not by far better but he's had a better year than Waino.

How? ERA?

Heyward
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
How? ERA?

That, and many other things.

Don't even bring up W/L.

Dumbest stat in baseball.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:51 PM
What are the many other things?

Russ2dollas
08-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Nats had a couple of Chris Johnson type players have the type of year cj is having for us.

Harper is good but he's still super young.

Nats could be back nxt year. This year they look broken.

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 05:21 PM
How? ERA?

Last 3 years Kershaw is second in baseball in fWAR just barely behind Verlander. Same span he has the lowest ERA- and FIP-, only thing someone has him beat at is xFIP- where's a few points behind King Felix, Sale, Lee, and Waino.

Waino is having a better year this year in terms of FIP and xFIP, but Kershaw's park adjust ERA- is better, in fact a full 20 points better. So Wainwright has better peripherals Kershaw has better run results.

Lville21
08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey Bryce,
You're closer to the last place (and worst NL record) Marlins than the 1st place Braves.

Just sayin'.....

NinersSBChamps
08-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Absolutely. The Braves know it's not over because of 2011, not because of what Bryce Harper says.
Was Bryce Harper even alive in 2011?

mcollier
08-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Regardless of what some kid outfielder for a sub-.500 team says, the Braves need to step on the necks of the Philthies and Gnats these next few days. Give them no hope at all on the road trip, and then take their manhood when they go to Atlanta. We don't need the Braves thinking, "Hey, all we need is to go one game over .500." We need to crush their hopes, ruin their dreams, and end their aspirations totally.

I really should start saying what I really feel...

chopdrew
08-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Regardless of what some kid outfielder for a sub-.500 team says, the Braves need to step on the necks of the Philthies and Gnats these next few days. Give them no hope at all on the road trip, and then take their manhood when they go to Atlanta. We don't need the Braves thinking, "Hey, all we need is to go one game over .500." We need to crush their hopes, ruin their dreams, and end their aspirations totally.

I really should start saying what I really feel...
I like it. Beat 'em so bad their cities question the need to further field teams in the future. Make property values drop in both cities. Beat the Gnats so bad that politicians go in and start doing actual work just to escape the swath of agony the Bravos leave in the Beltway. Make the White House look like the end of "Independence Day". Make the Phillies start thinking about selling next year. Just crush their will to live like terrorists at Gitmo.

bravesnumberone
08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Poor performance in Washington certainly isn't a new thing. Hey-ooooh

mcollier
08-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I like it. Beat 'em so bad their cities question the need to further field teams in the future. Make property values drop in both cities. Beat the Gnats so bad that politicians go in and start doing actual work just to escape the swath of agony the Bravos leave in the Beltway. Make the White House look like the end of "Independence Day". Make the Phillies start thinking about selling next year. Just crush their will to live like terrorists at Gitmo.

I love it...maybe there's something wrong with me, but I love it.

Turn Washington, D.C. into a AA Mariners affiliate. Make Philadelphia the Rookie League club for the Houston Astros. :)

chopdrew
08-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I like it. Turn Philly into "the city of brotherly scrubs."

Heyward
08-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Nats had a couple of Chris Johnson type players have the type of year cj is having for us.

Harper is good but he's still super young.

Nats could be back nxt year. This year they look broken.

LaRoche and Desmond were the only ones really.

Maybe to a lesser extent, Detwiler.

The main thing with them last year it seemed every time they were down 1-3 runs, they came back and eventually won the game.

bravesnumberone
08-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Seems like folks have kind of turned on Davey there too.

cajunrevenge
08-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Virtually every fanbase thinks their manager is an idiot and needs to be fired.

GovClintonTyree
08-04-2013, 04:07 AM

It's true, isn't it? Last year Davey was an unflappable veteran leader, this year he's an elderly Alzheimer's patient, no brain and no energy.

ChapelHillMatt
08-04-2013, 05:07 AM

I'd say our fanbase is harder on our manager's than most. Fans think they are smarter and could easily do the job, they don't realize how hard the job is and also don't notice when they have a good thing. Managers never get the credit they deserve, Fredi is the perfect example.

GovClintonTyree
08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd say our fanbase is harder on our manager's than most. Fans think they are smarter and could easily do the job, they don't realize how hard the job is and also don't notice when they have a good thing. Managers never get the credit they deserve, Fredi is the perfect example.

It's true. Fredi has done a great job. People complain about lineup construction and in game strategy, but mostly there's not much to ***** about. My biggest problem is he doesn't argue enough. He'll need to manage 50 years to match Bobby.

bravesnumberone
08-04-2013, 12:39 PM

It's telling that he makes decisions during games that most of the board can clearly tell was so obviously the wrong move. Most people here gave him crap about the lineup construction. He finally adjusted, and it's paid off. I don't think that was ever completely on him though. Our hitters sucked for a good bit of the year. He has been very bad at times with his bullpen decisions. Other than that, he probably makes the average number of bad moves most managers make in a given year. He's a decent to good manager, not a great one.

ChapelHillMatt
08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
The reason it's paid off is because Heyward has been on a tear, he's been hitting 2nd all year. If they would have hit better it wouldn't have mattered where in the order they hit. Fredi has been playing around with the lineup all year to try and find the right combination. He finally found one he likes. Bottom line is the man wins games, I don't care how many bad decisions he makes as long as he wins. I know it's not an easy job and mistakes are going to be made, I don't ask a manager to be perfect, just productive. My guess is if you had to sit in that dugout and be the one responsible for the decisions you would be overwhelmed and make a lot of mistakes as well.

parkvadawg
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

The main thing with them last year it seemed every time they were down 1-3 runs, they came back and eventually won the game.

Would also include the 2nd baseman that couldn't keep his mouth shut at the start of the year.

parkvadawg
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Would also include the 2nd baseman that couldn't keep his mouth shut at the start of the year.

Heyward
08-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Espinosa?

Too lazy to look at his numbers but didn't seem like he was crazy good last year.

thethe
08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Man, I overrated them.

weso1
08-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Bryce Harper with a new quote:

"We're ****ed."

ChapelHillMatt
08-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Wonder if they still think they are a better team?

GovClintonTyree
08-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Gnats, prepare your anuses.

zitothebrave
08-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Bryce Harper's motto to his Nats teammates#anustart

GovClintonTyree
08-05-2013, 12:57 AM

Espinosa. He was running his mouth, wasn't he? It's a shame he's not around to go 0-11 with 9 Ks and kick two balls.

jpx7
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Bryce Harper's motto to his Nats teammates#anustart

ANUSTART INDEED.

cajunrevenge
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
According to the Nats forum Harper is having a sac removed in the offseason, that will calm him down.

bravesnumberone
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
14.5 down with 7 games left. This **** ain't over.

drewdat
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
"Bryce, when you guys are mathematically eliminated in two weeks, are you going to go get blackout drunk with your teammates even though you aren't of legal age?"

57Brave
08-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Bryce Harper, asked if he was surprised Teheran hit him: "I hit that ball pretty far off him, so, no."

thethe
08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Bryce Harper, asked if he was surprised Teheran hit him: "I hit that ball pretty far off him, so, no."

Wow, he is such a D-Bag. I used to like him.

jpx7
08-06-2013, 09:43 PM

Welcome to the light, my child.

bravesnumberone
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I'd hit him again tomorrow. **** him.

Oh Bryce, I haven't asked in 30 minutes. Is it over yet?

CrimsonCowboy
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I used to like Harper as well. Clearly, I was misguided. He is a doofus. And I just insulted every doofus in the world

jpx7
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that right now he is literally butt-hurt.

zitothebrave
08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that right now he is literally butt-hurt.

#anustart

GovClintonTyree
08-06-2013, 10:59 PM
According to the Nats forum Harper is having a sac removed in the offseason, that will calm him down.

Two part surgery. He is also having Brian McCann's foot removed from his ass.

Dunit24
08-07-2013, 07:23 AM

I kinda felt bad for him in a way last night. I never like to see pitchers hit a batter after they have hit a HR. Just looks bad. After Bryces F bombs and this quote, what a frigging douche. Now he has EVERY right to get beaned again, and maybe this time, he just wont run his trap and will actually do something.

Natitude - All talk, no walk!!!

Runnin
08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I'd hit him again tomorrow. **** him.

Medlen could hit him with his My Little Pony backpack.

bp4de
08-07-2013, 07:32 AM
im sorry,i couldnt hear what he said,its hard to hear him from 14.5 games back :D

ProbationDeac
08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
He's got a lot of maturing to do there's no question about it. His original quote about it not being over I didn't have a problem with to be honest. He's trying to motivate his team and get things going. His actions last night speak for themselves and he got beamed for it.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I kinda felt bad for him in a way last night. I never like to see pitchers hit a batter after they have hit a HR. Just looks bad. After Bryces F bombs and this quote, what a frigging douche. Now he has EVERY right to get beaned again, and maybe this time, he just wont run his trap and will actually do something.

Natitude - All talk, no walk!!!

It was a one run game, why would Julio want to put another runner on base? Make no sense. Hitters needs to use their brains, just because you get hit doesn't mean someone is throwing at you, regardless of whether you had homered earlier in the game. Pitchers give up homers all the time, do they go around throwing at everyone that hits one off of them?

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Matt, you really don't think that was intentional? I thought it was pretty clear. First base was open.

tululush
08-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I have to agree with you. I think it was very much intentional. The situation dictated too much that he could pitch around him. So why waste your pitches when you can accomplish the same thing and convey a message. If it was an accident I don't think Tehran basically tells Harper to eff off.

Matt, you really don't think that was intentional? I thought it was pretty clear. First base was open.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
It was certainly intentional. Look at the situation, they were going to pitch around Harper with first open to face Zimmerman anyways so Teheran saved 4 pitches and was able to send a message as well. McCann giving Teheran the middle finger signal probably shows as much. Besides, when was Teheran's fastball 3 feet away from plate?

Teheran_49
08-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Harper is a punk anyways. His comment about hitting the ball a long ways off Teheran shows why were a team and the Nats have a star who is all about individual accolades. We've won the series and were up 14.5 games. I wionder if Harper still thinks their in it? I really hope Medlen shuts these guys down tonight.

tululush
08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I really hope we don't get anyone plunked out of revenge that causes harm to our playoff run. All I can think about is Carlos Zambrano hitting Chipper in the hand the final weekend of the season a few years back and it zapping everything he had for the playoffs. Sigh. That's what I worry about. We still play the Nats 7 more times, I believe. Plenty of time for them to retaliate, unfortunately.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Well if it was intentional then I stand corrected and I have no problem with Harper's reaction. No excuse for throwing at another player.

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Harper is a punk anyways. His comment about hitting the ball a long ways off Teheran shows why were a team and the Nats have a star who is all about individual accolades. We've won the series and were up 14.5 games. I wionder if Harper still thinks their in it? I really hope Medlen shuts these guys down tonight.

Exactly. It was a clown remark from a guy who doesn't realize that his team is getting his ass handed to him.

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Well if it was intentional then I stand corrected and I have no problem with Harper's reaction. No excuse for throwing at another player.

He showed up Teheran after the homerun. Like others have said, that would have never been tolerated back in teh day. Harper needs to grow up. But at 20 years old, I needed to as well.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 09:36 AM
He showed up Teheran after the homerun. Like others have said, that would have never been tolerated back in teh day. Harper needs to grow up. But at 20 years old, I needed to as well.

Do you believe Justin Upton should have been thrown at after Monday night?

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 09:38 AM

I've made my feelings known on this issue in the past. Who cares what he did after the homer, it's a sport. Don't like his reaction, don't give up a homer. So people feel the answer is to throw at someone and potentially injure them because you don't like how a player celebrated. I think it's one of the stupidest reasoning anyone has ever come up with. I for the life of me don't understand it. I'm sure I'll get the customary response now where people say I've never played competitive sports growing up.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Harper's HBP had to do with two things:

1) Freeman was hit earlier, that's retaliation.

2) Homerun trot and the bat flip showing up Teheran.

I'm sure his comments about this not being over etc were also part of the feelings to send him a message.

There are unwritten rules of baseball in the clubhouse.

1) You never show up the pitcher. Hit a homerun and act like you've done it before. I will admit I was none too pleased with Justin's trot the other night, and Juan Francisco's consistent self-admiiration.

2) You protect your teammates. That's what Teheran did after the Freeman AB. Maddux was one of the best at protecting his teammates with HBP's. There's a Maddux-Tale of a pitcher nailing one of our guys during a late August-September game one year... the next time the Braves played that team and pitcher was the next season in late May or June, and Maddux went into Bobby's office and said "Are we still on?" and Bobby had no clue what he was talking about, and Maddux brought up how he was the guy that nailed one of our guys and if it was time to retaliate and Bobby gave him the green light.

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Absolutely, I don't think players should admire their homeruns. Act like you have been there bfore.

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I've made my feelings known on this issue in the past. Who cares what he did after the homer, it's a sport. Don't like his reaction, don't give up a homer. So people feel the answer is to throw at someone and potentially injure them because you don't like how a player celebrated. I think it's one of the stupidest reasoning anyone has ever come up with. I for the life of me don't understand it. I'm sure I'll get the customary response now where people say I've never played competitive sports growing up.

I didn't play that much organized sports either but would you be ok with a pitcher having a celebration after every strikeout?

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I didn't play that much organized sports either but would you be ok with a pitcher having a celebration after every strikeout?

I honestly wouldn't care, he can do whatever he wants. People in this country have gotten far too sensitive imo.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I doubt the Freeman HBP had anything to do with it. It was a curveball that slipped and Freeman/Gio were laughing about it.

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I honestly wouldn't care, he can do whatever he wants. People in this country have gotten far too sensitive imo.

I think of it in another way. Are players now so selfish where they have to celebrate an individual accomplishment so much?

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Harper's HBP had to do with two things:

1) Freeman was hit earlier, that's retaliation.

2) Homerun trot and the bat flip showing up Teheran.

I'm sure his comments about this not being over etc were also part of the feelings to send him a message.

There are unwritten rules of baseball in the clubhouse.

1) You never show up the pitcher. Hit a homerun and act like you've done it before. I will admit I was none too pleased with Justin's trot the other night, and Juan Francisco's consistent self-admiiration.

2) You protect your teammates. That's what Teheran did after the Freeman AB. Maddux was one of the best at protecting his teammates with HBP's. There's a Maddux-Tale of a pitcher nailing one of our guys during a late August-September game one year... the next time the Braves played that team and pitcher was the next season in late May or June, and Maddux went into Bobby's office and said "Are we still on?" and Bobby had no clue what he was talking about, and Maddux brought up how he was the guy that nailed one of our guys and if it was time to retaliate and Bobby gave him the green light.

Heard a guy on the radio make the comment that when you feel confident enough to plunk someone after a hr, or comment, or celebration that you aren't a rookie anymore. I like that Teheran is showing he isn't afraid, and isn't gonna take **** off anyone. I like it.

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Teheran's response reminded me of this one on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDy4BElJUPg

Note: The video quality is poor but Steve Avery sure didn't take no crap.

bbnyd
08-07-2013, 09:54 AM
It was certainly intentional. Look at the situation, they were going to pitch around Harper with first open to face Zimmerman anyways so Teheran saved 4 pitches and was able to send a message as well. McCann giving Teheran the middle finger signal probably shows as much. Besides, when was Teheran's fastball 3 feet away from plate?

Did McCann really call the pitch with his middle finger? Please tell me there is a picture if so.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Teheran's response reminded me of this one on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDy4BElJUPg

Note: The video quality is poor but Steve Avery sure didn't take no crap.

I love how Pete knew it was coming and as soon as he was hit he just said "Yep".

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Did McCann really call the pitch with his middle finger? Please tell me there is a picture if so.

I saw the picture last night. Haven't looked this morning.

mfree80
08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I saw it last night too. Looked more like a strap or piece of equipment hanging down that a finger. I think it was an optical illusion.

bbnyd
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I saw it last night too. Looked more like a strap or piece of equipment hanging down that a finger. I think it was an optical illusion.

Yeah, just found the picture. McCann's finger can't be that long.

Julio3000
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Dang. Good memory. I had forgotten all about that one. Funny that Marquis Grissom, by everyone's account the nicest guy on the field, was the first one out there.

It also reminds me a little bit of the story Rick Sutcliffe told about Greg Maddux, from Greg's rookie season. Andre Dawson had been hit, and Maddux was on the mound with a lead and a chance to get his first career win. Sutcliffe told Maddux not to worry about retaliating, to hang in there long enough to get the win. Maddux hit a guy the next inning and was ejected, losing his shot at the victory but winning the clubhouse.

The "unwritten rule" stuff gets a little silly, but at least give JT credit for hitting Harper in the leg. Better than Ian Kennedy's bs from earlier this year.

MadduxFanII
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
I kind of hope that Julio did hit Harper on purpose out of retaliation for the bat flip and stare, if only because it would prove that Teheran is capable of actual human emotion.

Julio3000
08-07-2013, 10:17 AM
I kind of hope that Julio did hit Harper on purpose out of retaliation for the bat flip and stare, if only because it would prove that Teheran is capable of actual human emotion.

Yeah, that kid is cool. Cool with a little bit of an edge is a pretty good combination.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I think of it in another way. Are players now so selfish where they have to celebrate an individual accomplishment so much?

Sports are designed for enjoyment, although pro sports are a business they still are playing the game we all played for free as a kid. If you take celebrating out then you remove the fun element.

Dunit24
08-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I saw the picture last night. Haven't looked this morning.

Nice try giles. That wasnt his finger.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Nice try giles. That wasnt his finger.

Have to excuse giles. Hard for him to maintain neutrality when watching both of his favorite teams play each other.

50PoundHead
08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Great old video. Jeez, Mets could have had a basketball team with Dallas Green and Frank "Hondo" Howard.

Orphan Black
08-07-2013, 10:40 AM

I think it was a complete over reaction on Harper's part even if it was intentional. It's part of the game, and it's not like Teheran thew at his head. He hit him in the thigh.

50PoundHead
08-07-2013, 10:42 AM

No, it's not about sensitivity. It's called professionalism and too many of today's players don't act like professionals.

And as far as throwing at guys, if you act like a d*ck, you face the consequences. It happens in every sport. It's just more obvious in baseball.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
http://imgur.com/a/QDnA1#QsyIZ3n

Orphan Black
08-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Dang...I don't even remember that Avery game.

jpx7
08-07-2013, 10:44 AM

"Should"? — Who cares? I like Upton and I absolutely loathe Harper; that's enough for me to enjoy how this whole thing went down.

Orphan Black
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
btw Harper's response proves that it was an over reaction on his part. He wasn't surprise, but he sure acted like it in the game.

MadduxFanII
08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Here's the only thing that confused me about last night: wasn't part of Harper's whole shtick that he absolutely tore around the bases after homers? I remember SportsCenter clocking him after a home run where he probably took less time to round the bases than McCann takes reaching first base when he's trying to beat out a game-ending double play. That was fun. When did Harper stop doing that?

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Here's the only thing that confused me about last night: wasn't part of Harper's whole shtick that he absolutely tore around the bases after homers? I remember SportsCenter clocking him after a home run where he probably took less time to round the bases than McCann takes reaching first base when he's trying to beat out a game-ending double play. That was fun. When did Harper stop doing that?

Last night was probably the only time I can remember him not tearing through the bases. Though his overall time around the bases was not slow at all last night (23+ seconds), it was slower than his average trot.

tomahawkchop
08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Last night was probably the only time I can remember him not tearing through the bases. Though his overall time around the bases was not slow at all last night (23+ seconds), it was slower than his average trot.

There's an article that was posted this morning (http://tatertrottracker.com/) about this.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
No, it's not about sensitivity. It's called professionalism and too many of today's players don't act like professionals.

And as far as throwing at guys, if you act like a d*ck, you face the consequences. It happens in every sport. It's just more obvious in baseball.

So throwing at someone is acting professional?

bravesnumberone
08-07-2013, 11:23 AM
National sports radio shows going out of their way to defend Harper saying the Braves were the bush leaguers.

Whatever. Scoreboard.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
So throwing at someone is acting professional?

In this case, yes.

In the same way a safety trucking a wide receiver in football that's been talking smack all week.

Harper did it first, Julio had to put him in his place. That's baseball.

I actually think Julio's HBP affected Harper's AB against Kimbrel.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
So let me see if I understand the logic.

All players should act professional but if a player acts unprofessional then that gives you the clearance to do the same?

Sorry the logic is VERY POOR. If you feel professionalism is so important then there should never be a case where you are ok with unprofessionalism. You don't change what you believe based on the actions of others.

Throwing at someone can cause bodily harm. Just look at the Avery clip posted earlier. So we decided it was ok to injure someone because we didn't like how he celebrated. How childish is that?

Julio3000
In this case, yes.

In the same way a safety trucking a wide receiver in football that's been talking smack all week.

Harper did it first, Julio had to put him in his place. That's baseball.

I actually think Julio's HBP affected Harper's AB against Kimbrel.

Me, too.

I don't love seeing guys get thrown at (gotta be careful saying "plunked" around here ;-) ), but at least JT sent a message without endangering life and limb.

diamondsyd
Heard a guy on the radio make the comment that when you feel confident enough to plunk someone after a hr, or comment, or celebration that you aren't a rookie anymore. I like that Teheran is showing he isn't afraid, and isn't gonna take **** off anyone. I like it.

Exactly, Teheran showed 2 things. He will stand up for himself and his teammates. Harper needs to be taught a lesson of respect for the game of baseball and it appears he needs summer school.

yeezus
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM

All players should act professional but if a player acts unprofessional then that gives you the clearance to do the same?

Sorry the logic is VERY POOR. If you feel professionalism is so important then there should never be a case where you are ok with unprofessionalism. You don't change what you believe based on the actions of others.

Throwing at someone can cause bodily harm. Just look at the Avery clip posted earlier. So we decided it was ok to injure someone because we didn't like how he celebrated. How childish is that?

Did Harper get injured?

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
I noticed this linked at the Nats board: http://www.natsenquirer.com/2013/08/chipper-jones-rips-bryce-harper-on-twitter.html

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Did Harper get injured?

He's probably talking about the Avery clip I posted where the Mets player was injured.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 11:40 AM

These unwritten rules have been in the game for a century.

Remember when Dallae Braden snapped on A-Rod for running back to the dugout and crossing the pitcher's mound?

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Funny how we accept vicious but rule book legal hits as hard nosed clean football, yet Julio throws at the fattest part of Harper's body and its terrible.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:45 AM
He's probably talking about the Avery clip I posted where the Mets player was injured.

Yeah that's the example I was referring too. I know Harper didn't get hurt but he could have. Sorry, I just don't agree with throwing at players intentionally, NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
These unwritten rules have been in the game for a century.

Remember when Dallae Braden snapped on A-Rod for running back to the dugout and crossing the pitcher's mound?

There is a reason the rules are unwritten. If it was part of the game as you say and nothing wrong with it then nobody would get warned and ejected. They would encourage fighting like they do in hockey.

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah that's the example I was referring too. I know Harper didn't get hurt but he could have. Sorry, I just don't agree with throwing at players intentionally, NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL

OK, but what about football or boxing? To be consistent, I don't see how you could support either sport (esp. not boxing).

yeezus
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
There is a reason the rules are unwritten. If it was part of the game as you say and nothing wrong with it then nobody would get warned and ejected. They would encourage fighting like they do in hockey.

you get a penalty in hockey, too. so it's not "encouraged."
getting hit in baseball doesn't happen as much as fighting in hockey, either.
there are people who hate fighting in hockey. it's part of the game. much the same a showboater getting hit is.

By the way how can you showboat down 13.5 games (14.5 now)?

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Exactly.

But they are rules. They may not be official in the MLB handbook, but they are rules.

Did you see when HanRam the other day took a walk after he got brushed up on the face against the Cubs? He left the bat two inches away from Cubs' catcher, Cubs catcher picked up the bat and slammed it on the ground and broke it.

Don't disrespect the catcher's area, don't disrespect the pitcher's area, don't show up the pitcher, don't steal bases when you're blowing out the other team, Don't step in the box while the pitcher is warming up,

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
OK, but what about football or boxing? To be consistent, I don't see how you could support either sport (esp. not boxing).

I don't watch boxing and football I don't see players intentionally trying to hurt other players, if they do then I don't agree with it. They definitely encourage it in hockey, nobody is ejected for fighting. They get 5 minutes in a penalty box after the ref has them drop gloves and go at it.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Exactly.

But they are rules. They may not be official in the MLB handbook, but they are rules.

Did you see when HanRam the other day took a walk after he got brushed up on the face against the Cubs? He left the bat two inches away from Cubs' catcher, Cubs catcher picked up the bat and slammed it on the ground and broke it.

Don't disrespect the catcher's area, don't disrespect the pitcher's area, don't show up the pitcher, don't steal bases when you're blowing out the other team, Don't step in the box while the pitcher is warming up,

Ah.....running up the score is something else that is a PET PEEVE of mine. The losing team wants you to stop trying. Love that one.

yeezus
08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't watch boxing and football I don't see players intentionally trying to hurt other players, if they do then I don't agree with it. They definitely encourage it in hockey, nobody is ejected for fighting. They get 5 minutes in a penalty box after the ref has them drop gloves and go at it.

Hitting someone in baseball doesn't mean trying to hurt them.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
They may not look like they're trying to intentionally hurt a player, but if a safety or linebacker is running up at a RB or WR and goes in shoulder first full power to try and force a fumble and he's incidentally injured the guy, is that not the same? Football players to their credit do a better job at hiding the fact they're trying to hurt someone, because almost every tackle can be just as malicious as the next and its' accepted. When the Saints had a bounty on Favre, they were getting "hard-nosed" clean hits, but it wasn't exactly OBVIOUS that they were trying to injure him.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Hitting someone in baseball doesn't mean trying to hurt them.

You are doing something that's not within the rules. If you tackle someone in football and they get hurt then that's part of the game. If someone gets hit in baseball because you are trying to pitch inside then that's part of the game. If you intentionally throw at someone and aren't trying to get them out then that is wrong.

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
They may not look like they're trying to intentionally hurt a player, but if a safety or linebacker is running up at a RB or WR and goes in shoulder first full power to try and force a fumble and he's incidentally injured the guy, is that not the same? Football players to their credit do a better job at hiding the fact they're trying to hurt someone, because almost every tackle can be just as malicious as the next and its' accepted. When the Saints had a bounty on Favre, they were getting "hard-nosed" clean hits, but it wasn't exactly OBVIOUS that they were trying to injure him.

Football is a contact sport. As long as you are playing the game then I have no problem with it. My problem is intentionally trying to injure someone or using your thinking "sending a message"

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM

I don't think Teheran was intentionally trying to hurt (injure) anyone, though I do believe that he meant to hit Harper.

diamondsyd
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Football is a contact sport. As long as you are playing the game then I have no problem with it. My problem is intentionally trying to injure someone or using your thinking "sending a message"

Football is not a contact sport. Football is a collision sport. Boxing, MMA, etc... are contact sports.

Also, throwing at someone is not trying to hurt someone. If he through at his head, then I agree completely. You throw at their butt because of padding and it is tougher to get out of the way. Its baseball, always has been.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Ah.....running up the score is something else that is a PET PEEVE of mine. The losing team wants you to stop trying. Love that one.

It's not that.

It appears your definition of professionalism has a gray area and margin for error.

If you're winning 9-0 in the 7th inning, and stealing bases it's like you're trying to win the game when you pretty much already have the game in hand. Never kick a man when he's down, and if you're beating a team by that margin of a score, why try to make it worse? If they want to throw fastballs over the plate and you hit homeruns that's one thing, but stealing bases is a strategic move to try and win a close game.

Professionalism and sportsmanship go hand in hand. Showmanship/showing off is not part of professionalism. Want to know why many people respected our team and Bobby Cox in the 90's? We played the game the right way, no major personality problems except Rocker who we eventually got rid of because of his problems.

Harper's showmanship after that homerun was proving he lacks sportsmanship. Julio set him straight. Harper not only disrespected Julio, he disrespects the game, which many players find sacred. Strasburg running off the mound prematurely 4 times yesterday was terrible showmanship towards the umpire. You always hear the phrase "He plays the game the right way", that's code for "he understands how to play, and he also understands the rules and unwritten rules, what to do and what not to do."

57Brave
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Couple/3 things -- 1) the ball hurts 2) pay proper respect to the man throwing the ball 3) a bean ball is a ball thrown at the batters head and is intended to cause injury. Harper was hit in the ass

Haven't heard too much talk on Harper losing a 3-1 count to Kimbrell 2 outs ninth inning of a one run game

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
You are doing something that's not within the rules. If you tackle someone in football and they get hurt then that's part of the game. If someone gets hit in baseball because you are trying to pitch inside then that's part of the game. If you intentionally throw at someone and aren't trying to get them out then that is wrong.

This goes back to my example how you can separate the two.

If Ray Lewis is going to tackle Wes Welker at full force to force a fumble, he's not going to try and strip it. If he can measure him directly head on, you best believe he's going to try and inflict as much damage as he can to force the fumble. Incidentally, it may also cause a concussion or serious injury. That's part of the game right?

Guys get HBP all the time incidentally and unintentionally. When the other team hits back it's a message that "hey, our pitcher isn't crappy enough to hit your guy accidentally, here you go"

Julio can throw the ball wherever he pleases. Do you remember all the players that stand over the plate literally and get HBP or get some chin music to back off the plate from the pitcher? Those are unwritten rules, but they're also part of the game and have been for generations.

57Brave
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think Teheran was intentionally trying to hurt anyone, though I do believe that he meant to hit Harper.

If he meant to hurt him the pitch would have been in his ear. Big-Big difference

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
It's not that.

It appears your definition of professionalism has a gray area and margin for error.

If you're winning 9-0 in the 7th inning, and stealing bases it's like you're trying to win the game when you pretty much already have the game in hand. Never kick a man when he's down, and if you're beating a team by that margin of a score, why try to make it worse? If they want to throw fastballs over the plate and you hit homeruns that's one thing, but stealing bases is a strategic move to try and win a close game.

Professionalism and sportsmanship go hand in hand. Showmanship/showing off is not part of professionalism. Want to know why many people respected our team and Bobby Cox in the 90's? We played the game the right way, no major personality problems except Rocker who we eventually got rid of because of his problems.

Harper's showmanship after that homerun was proving he lacks sportsmanship. Julio set him straight. Harper not only disrespected Julio, he disrespects the game, which many players find sacred. Strasburg running off the mound prematurely 4 times yesterday was terrible showmanship towards the umpire. You always hear the phrase "He plays the game the right way", that's code for "he understands how to play, and he also understands the rules and unwritten rules, what to do and what not to do."

I'm not the one who brought up professionalism, 50PoundHead did. I was responding to the double standard everyone on the board has regarding this issue. I don't care if a player is professional or not. It doesn't mean anything. If you are a big believer in it though then you shouldn't support retaliation in any shape or form.

If you are up 9-0 in the 7th inning you keep playing. No lead is safe, what if you end up losing 10-9 because you stopped trying to score? Play hard all 9 innings regardless of the score. Besides, I doubt the losing team is going to stop trying to come back. I'm sure they are going to be aggressive on the basepath's

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Smoltz, Maddux, Glavine would've all done the same. Pedro sure as hell wouldn't hesitate, nor would Schilling or Johnson. These are some of the greatest pitchers in history, and they also happen to be guys that played the game the right way and respected the game. The fact that they also play by the unwritten rules is why they have deep respect amongst their peers.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not the one who brought up professionalism, 50PoundHead did. I was responding to the double standard everyone on the board has regarding this issue. I don't care if a player is professional or not. It doesn't mean anything. If you are a big believer in it though then you shouldn't support retaliation in any shape or form.

If you are up 9-0 in the 7th inning you keep playing. No lead is safe, what if you end up losing 10-9 because you stopped trying to score? Play hard all 9 innings regardless of the score. Besides, I doubt the losing team is going to stop trying to come back. I'm sure they are going to be aggressive on the basepath's

In baseball, retaliation has and always will be professionalism. :winking0016:

ChapelHillMatt
08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
In baseball, retaliation has and always will be professionalism. :winking0016:

lol....makes no sense.

I'm done, we'll just agree to disagree.

57Brave
08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Ok I get to act the old guy again.

When I first strated watching MLB it was considered un professional to stand and jaw at the pitcher after getting hit. If you had a beef with the pitcher you went out and fought him. If as a pitcher you couldn't defend yourself well, you didnt throw inside. Frank Howard was 6' Large and weighed over 250. I dont think anyone ever threw at him. And if he did get hit, it was understood it was an accident

Drysdale was 6'5" and was notorious for throwing inner half. I don't recall anyone (Drysdale hit Aaron over 20 times!!!) EVER going to the mound. And, if they stood and jawed well, they got "visited" the next time

the nature of sport is intimidation --- going back to the Greeks. An old story goes Early Wynn was being asked about hitting players and someone asked if he'd throw at his own Mom. Wynn replied "if she crowds the plate, yeah"

57Brave
08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I feel comfortable if Nats hit JUpton he would have taken his base without making a scene.

Braves1976
08-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Ok I get to act the old guy again.

When I first strated watching MLB it was considered un professional to stand and jaw at the pitcher after getting hit. If you had a beef with the pitcher you went out and fought him. If as a pitcher you couldn't defend yourself well, you didnt throw inside. Frank Howard was 6' Large and weighed over 250. I dont think anyone ever threw at him. And if he did get hit, it was understood it was an accident

Drysdale was 6'5" and was notorious for throwing inner half. I don't recall anyone (Drysdale hit Aaron over 20 times!!!) EVER going to the mound. And, if they stood and jawed well, they got "visited" the next time

the nature of sport is intimidation --- going back to the Greeks. An old story goes Early Wynn was being asked about hitting players and someone asked if he'd throw at his own Mom. Wynn replied "if she crowds the plate, yeah"

That reminds me of Ty Cobb who viewed baseball as something like a war.

wheresmykayak
08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
It's my hope that in tonight's game, whenever Justin (or McCann, or whomever) gets hit by a pitch, they take their base, and hopefully score.

And after the game, when they get asked about it, they just say something like "Oh, it's part of the game. What am I going to do, whine about it?"

It'd be nice to show up Harper that way, I think.

emk418
08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Harper's an incredible talent but he's an ass. My love for Teheran went up even higher after last night.

Mad Dog Murph
08-07-2013, 12:41 PM
And after the game, when they get asked about it, they just say something like "Oh, it's part of the game. What am I going to do, whine about it?"

It'd be nice to show up Harper that way, I think.

First of all, I hate the Nats and especially Harper. But, it appears to me people are only posting one sentence out of the whole interview. As much as I hate the guy, he seemed pretty professional in the interview last night. He said that Tehran was doing what he had to do and it was a part of the game. He had no intention of fighting but he wanted to get in a few choice words and then it was over. He said several times that it is just part of the game and something Tehran felt like he had to do. Not sure why you all are blowing it out of proportion....probably because someone only posted one sentence of a 5 minute interview.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
It's not that.

Did Justin on Monday disrespect the sacred game?

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Did Justin on Monday disrespect the sacred game?

Yes he did actually, and I pointed that out like 3 times already, Mr. Nationals Fan.

So I'm not exactly sure why you're mentioning that to me, since I've already mentioned that. I didn't like it when I saw it live, and I still don't like it after watching the replay him doing that.

But he is on our team, so I'm still going to root with him and put up with it.

wheresmykayak
08-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Well, it's not just Harper, it's basically everyone who's complaining about the issue.

Harper's own personal reaction surprised me a little bit, honestly, considering that when he just got called up, Cole Hamels nailed him with a pitch for no apparent reason, and he just took his base, and stole home later. He didn't once jaw at the pitcher, or anything. This is in contrast to most people here and around baseball having some sort of understanding as to why Teheran hit him last night.

Leads me to believe this is just frustration leaking out a little bit, but a little trash talk now and then makes sports more interesting, imo.

57Brave
08-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Because Harper a) flew off the handle - b) celebrated a third inning HR - c) ran his mouth about how the Braves were no good and his team(team? didnt see his team when Mac went toward him -you?) were going to not only catch the Braves but overcome the 7 game lead - d) lost a 3-1 count with the game on the line e) remember Cole Hamels throwing at him? this is not an isolated incident / kind of a pattern developing. Pattern being the league doesn't respect him. TV guys love him because he gives them something to talk about.

Again, he blew a 3-1 count when he could have done something of consequence

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Because Harper a) flew off the handle - b) celebrated a third inning HR - c) ran his mouth about how the Braves were no good and his team(team? didnt see his team when Mac went toward him -you?) were going to not only catch the Braves but overcome the 7 game lead - d) lost a 3-1 count with the game on the line e) remember Cole Hamels throwing at him? this is not an isolated incident / kind of a pattern developing. Pattern being the league doesn't respect him. TV guys love him because he gives them something to talk about.

Again, he blew a 3-1 count when he could have done something of consequence

C)- Where did you read this?
E)- Being thrown at means the league doesn't respect him? Poor Craig Biggio

TDlxANDER
08-07-2013, 12:53 PM
This may have been pointed out....but watch the clip of the actual HR itself. About the time Harper reaches 2nd base, they cut to a shot of Julio. He already has another ball and is absolutely mean muggin Harper as he rounds the bases. I love it.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
C)- Where did you read this?
E)- Being thrown at means the league doesn't respect him? Poor Craig Biggio

Biggio wore an elbow brace about the same size as Barry Bonds, and stood over the plate and purposely leaned in on pitches.

Otherwise, every team he played against would have a bench clearing brawl ebcause as many times as he got it, there'd be tons of retaliation. Biggio used HBP's strategically to get on base, like how Uggla can only walk and not get a hit.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Biggio wore an elbow brace about the same size as Barry Bonds, and stood over the plate and purposely leaned in on pitches.

Poor Jason Heyward.

Poor all these guys: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/hitByPitch/type/expanded/order/true