PDA

View Full Version : 4/29/15 MINOR LEAGUE FINAL: Another Peterson heard from

rico43
04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
TUESDAY GAMES
ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Scranton/WB 8, Gwinnett 5

LP: Wisler (0-3) 4.1 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.
Ciriaco 2-5, R, SB; Kazmar 3-4, 2 2B, R; Benson 1-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI; Cunningham 2-4, R, 2 SB, 2 OF Ast.; Peraza 1-5; Reyes 1-3, R, 2 RBI.

CLASS AA

Suspended Game
Mobile 6, Mississippi 1

LP: Brigham (1-2) 1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Ross 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
Lipka 2-5, RBI (.370); Loman 2-3.

Scheduled Game
Mobuile 4, Mississippi 3 (7)

SP: Mateo 3.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
LP: R. Kelly (0-1) 0.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 0 K.
O'Dows 2-3, 2B. 2 RBI; Rohm 2-3, R, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 8, Lynchburg 2

WP: Thurman (2-2) 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K.
Peterson 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
D. Peterson 4-4, 2B, HR (3rd), 2 RBI; Lien 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI; Meneses 3-5, 2B, 3B, R, RBI; Oliver 1-5, HR (1st), RBI; Franco 3-4, 2 2B, 2 R.

CLASS A

Lexington 7, Rome 2

Note: De La Rosa and Ps allowed 6/6 SB, De La Rosa also 2 E.
LP: Sanchez (0-3) 3 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
Salazar 3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
Edgerton 2-4, R, RBI; Albies 1-5, 3B.

50PoundHead
04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
A lot of nice lines in Carolina. Peterson's only 20 and a good 2.5 years younger than the average Carolina League player. I'm not big on using that as a measurement, but if he has a good year in Carolina, he'd be poised for AA in his fourth year as a pro. It's early, but his K/BB ratios look solid right now.

Braves1976
04-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Maybe we should stop collecting Johnson's and continue collecting Peterson's instead. :)

MadduxFanII
04-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Should I start paying attention to Lipka?

50PoundHead
04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Should I start paying attention to Lipka?

I was thinking that CF could be a real carousel this season in Atlanta. I can't believe EYJ will last the season, which could give Cunningham and/or Perez a chance to play some out there. If Lipka keeps hitting, they may give him a shot as well.

Braves1976
04-29-2015, 09:37 PM
I was thinking that CF could be a real carousel this season in Atlanta. I can't believe EYJ will last the season, which could give Cunningham and/or Perez a chance to play some out there. If Lipka keeps hitting, they may give him a shot as well.

I hope you're right because EYJ has no future with us.

50PoundHead
04-29-2015, 09:41 PM

I'm hoping someone buys him a Japanese phrase book.

sturg33
04-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Uhhhh... perhaps you missed EY Jrs amazing spring?

Russ2dollas
04-30-2015, 08:02 AM
so we're still not worrying about Wisler?

50PoundHead
04-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Provided he's healthy, I'm not. He's about 5 years younger than the average International League player so he's making adjustments. Looking at his game logs, he appears to be the victim of several big innings against him. Don't get me wrong; all those runs count. But that always signifies to me the necessity of learning a few things and not an absence of talent.

thethe
04-30-2015, 08:46 AM
A lot of nice lines in Carolina. Peterson's only 20 and a good 2.5 years younger than the average Carolina League player. I'm not big on using that as a measurement, but if he has a good year in Carolina, he'd be poised for AA in his fourth year as a pro. It's early, but his K/BB ratios look solid right now.

What is Petersons ceiling? Are we talking about someone that can have a slash of 270/340/500 at the big league level?

50PoundHead
04-30-2015, 08:53 AM
What is Petersons ceiling? Are we talking about someone that can have a slash of 270/340/500 at the big league level?

I have no idea. He was the 50th overall pick in 2013. Here's what a writer at mlb.com wrote about him after watching him in the Arizona Rookie League his first season: http://m.padres.mlb.com/news/article/57528828/

He scuffled a bit in the Midwest League, but a lot of kids do if they haven't had two years of short-season ball.

PS--Here's another scouting report (from Bleacher Report, so I don't know how accurate): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653747-dustin-peterson-prospect-profile-for-san-diego-padres-2nd-round-pick

Russ2dollas
04-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Klaw said he thought he could stick at 3B. We obviously did not and/or we think Rio Ruiz is that guy b/c he's already in the OF.

I think he's been the DH a decent amount. So if he's going to be a LF, then he's going to have to rake......unless you compare him to Braves LF for the last decade, then 250/300/400 with below avg defense is probably good.

Not sure on the power. But he's starting to hit some HRs. 6'2 185 at 18 suggests that he has a chance to have the frame of a power hitter w/o having to go too crazy in the weight room.

50PoundHead
04-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Klaw said he thought he could stick at 3B. We obviously did not and/or we think Rio Ruiz is that guy b/c he's already in the OF.

I think he's been the DH a decent amount. So if he's going to be a LF, then he's going to have to rake......unless you compare him to Braves LF for the last decade, then 250/300/400 with below avg defense is probably good.

Not sure on the power. But he's starting to hit some HRs. 6'2 185 at 18 suggests that he has a chance to have the frame of a power hitter w/o having to go too crazy in the weight room.

He's been in LF in every game except the one he DH'd. My guess is the Braves want his bat to carry and I'm a bit surprised they moved him this early in his career.

smootness
04-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I think Peterson is definitely a potential future difference-maker for us. From reading at the time of the trade, he has a high ceiling but is really raw and so less likely than most at that age to reach that ceiling.

But his start this year is a great sign. If he can keep getting on base at his current rate with a similar ISO, he has a future for sure.

clvclv
04-30-2015, 01:14 PM

I'd be far more worried about Sims than Wisler at this point. I've been saying it for some time now. I understand Sims is young, but he doesn't appear to be able to make any adjustments.

Deester11
04-30-2015, 01:43 PM
I'd be far more worried about Sims than Wisler at this point. I've been saying it for some time now. I understand Sims is young, but he doesn't appear to be able to make any adjustments. clv, I've noted since rookie ball that his stuff is good. Very good. His pitching acumen, not so much. And I've seen him quite a bit. He seems to expect a disaster when he gives up a hit. That 'bulldog' mentality escapes him. Worried, yes. Fixable.....maybe.

smootness
04-30-2015, 03:56 PM
I'll be honest, if we hadn't made all these moves in the offseason, I'd be worried about Sims. But as it stands, what is he now, our 6th best pitching prospect?

I consider Folty, Wisler, Fried, Jenkins, and probably even Sanchez ahead of him at this point in terms of ceiling/likelihood to make it. Based on his track record so far, I can't put him ahead of any of those guys.

So I'm worried if you mean I don't think he'll ever really become much, but we don't need him to anymore. It would be nice, but I'm not actually worried about him not making it.

I think Fulenchek could move ahead of him, too, if he pitches well this year. And then we have 6 of the top 89 picks to add 2-3 arms as well.

rico43
04-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Remember that he was traded unexpectedly at the worst possible time for a good mindset going intom the season.

rico43
04-30-2015, 04:56 PM
I'll be honest, if we hadn't made all these moves in the offseason, I'd be worried about Sims. But as it stands, what is he now, our 6th best pitching prospect?

I consider Folty, Wisler, Fried, Jenkins, and probably even Sanchez ahead of him at this point in terms of ceiling/likelihood to make it. Based on his track record so far, I can't put him ahead of any of those guys.

So I'm worried if you mean I don't think he'll ever really become much, but we don't need him to anymore. It would be nice, but I'm not actually worried about him not making it.

I think Fulenchek could move ahead of him, too, if he pitches well this year. And then we have 6 of the top 89 picks to add 2-3 arms as well.

It would take an act of divine intervention (or an injury) for Fulenchek to move ahead of Sims.

clvclv
04-30-2015, 07:48 PM
clv, I've noted since rookie ball that his stuff is good. Very good. His pitching acumen, not so much. And I've seen him quite a bit. He seems to expect a disaster when he gives up a hit. That 'bulldog' mentality escapes him. Worried, yes. Fixable.....maybe.

Don't get me wrong - I'm far from an advocate of giving up on him, he IS still young. But I think the time for comparing him to a young Teheran learning to make adjustments has long passed. Lucas' numbers have gotten progressively worse with each new challenge - you can only play the "young for his age" card for so long. Julio was pitching at Gwinnett at the same age, and his WHIP and walk rates only reached Lucas' 2014 level when he was the same age against significantly better competition when the organization took a pitch away and had him focusing on things to make him a finished product rather than his results.

My concern with Lucas is that expectations seem to be far too high for what we've seen from him to this point, and that the time is approaching that those expectations need to begin to adjust. He won't be a "failure" if he turns into a #4 or #5 starter, but that may be what his ceiling is if he doesn't begin to make adjustments. "Fixable" to reach the level many felt he was capable of may not be the right term, but that doesn't mean he can't turn out to be a back of the rotation contributor - simply that he's got work to do to even be that.