gilesfan
08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
http://deadspin.com/mystery-solved-drew-brees-is-not-a-rotten-tipper-987379455

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 08:05 AM
lol

thethe
08-01-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't tip at all on a takeout order. Brees is a good man.

gtcway
08-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I tip a couple bucks on a takeout order, but I only do takeout a few times a year:confused:

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I give a buck if it's a hot blonde that is nice. If you don't meet those 2, you get nothing.

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
For me the takeout tip depends on a few things. I tip at a chinese place usually because they're small and putting it together for you. Never too high of course 10% tops. If it's at like Applebees where I don't know who put it together I usually don't maybe I throw a buck and change in. Now if I did it regularly I'd tip them because I'd want my service to always go smooth, but considering I rarely order takeout it's not a huge problem for me. Pizza places I usually throw a buck or 2 in the jar if I know the guys who work there.

weso1
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
One dollar for takeout.

The Chosen One
08-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Generally the tips on takeout go to the cooks in the back.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I give a buck if it's a hot blonde that is nice. If you don't meet those 2, you get nothing.

Do you mean for takeout, or for an actual dine-in meal?

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Do you mean for takeout, or for an actual dine-in meal?

Takeout. Dine in tips vary. Bartenders should get almost nothing.

The Chosen One
08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Takeout. Dine in tips vary. Bartenders should get almost nothing.

Bartenders in most places get paid slightly more than a server, but still less than federal minimum wage.

I think Server wage is still 2.15, and Bartender wage is 4.50

The Chosen One
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Tipping the bartender somewhat decent is always good. If you come back, you probably will get extra the next time.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Bartenders in most places get paid slightly more than a server, but still less than federal minimum wage.

I think Server wage is still 2.15, and Bartender wage is 4.50

Im not giving a bartender 15% for turning a bottle cap.

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 12:06 PM

That's what you get for going to ****ty bars.

I tip good tenders well. A good bartender either knows how to make you a drink very well, or keeps your beer glasses clean so that when you get a beer from the tap you don't wind up with a ****ty pour. Nothing worse than a beer served in a non-beer clean glass.

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
That's what you get for going to ****ty bars.

I tip good tenders well. A good bartender either knows how to make you a drink very well, or keeps your beer glasses clean so that when you get a beer from the tap you don't wind up with a ****ty pour. Nothing worse than a beer served in a non-beer clean glass.

Id venture to guess I go to nicer bars than you. Twisting a bottle cap or pouring beer out of a keg isn't taxing or particualary difficult.

OMG, give them money, they are using clean glasses!

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Id venture to guess I go to nicer bars than you. Twisting a bottle cap or pouring beer out of a keg isn't taxing or particualary difficult.

OMG, give them money, they are using clean glasses!

Ok maybe you don't go to ****ty bars, but you do order ****ty beers. I just presumed since you're drinking beer from a bottle the bars you are going to don't have a draft option.Maybe they do have good beer and you just have horrific taste. Should have considered that factor.

Everyone who knows anything about beer knows how important a beer clean glass is. A brewer works hard to make a beer the right color, have the right head, with the right aroma, and a non-beer clean glass (difference between clean and beer clean if you haven't noticed by my wording) can ruin any of those 3 either by hazing the glass, or by killing the head. A good bar has beer clean glasses and a bartender who knows which beer should go in which glasses. If you're getting a barley wine iced gold in a shaker pint, then you will A. Be ripped in no time and B. you're dealing with someone who doesn't know their stuff. I'm willign to tip for someoen who does.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

What if they're precision-pouring three-quarter ounces of Hendrick's gin, lime juice, maraschino, and green chartreuse, then shaking the hell out of it with an egg-white to emulsify the drink?

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 12:28 PM
What if they're precision-pouring three-quarter ounces of Hendrick's gin, lime juice, maraschino, and green chartreuse, then shaking the hell out of it with an egg-white to emulsify the drink?

5%

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Ok maybe you don't go to ****ty bars, but you do order ****ty beers. I just presumed since you're drinking beer from a bottle the bars you are going to don't have a draft option.Maybe they do have good beer and you just have horrific taste. Should have considered that factor.

Everyone who knows anything about beer knows how important a beer clean glass is. A brewer works hard to make a beer the right color, have the right head, with the right aroma, and a non-beer clean glass (difference between clean and beer clean if you haven't noticed by my wording) can ruin any of those 3 either by hazing the glass, or by killing the head. A good bar has beer clean glasses and a bartender who knows which beer should go in which glasses. If you're getting a barley wine iced gold in a shaker pint, then you will A. Be ripped in no time and B. you're dealing with someone who doesn't know their stuff. I'm willign to tip for someoen who does.

I go to bars that serve their own beer, brewed on site. Do you think they know what they are doing?

Gary82
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't tip for takeout, and I don't like the fact that I should feel guilty for not tipping. Just because you have a spot on the ticket for a tip doesn't mean I'm going to give you one.

Now, if I am sitting down and actually being served, that's a different story.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 12:39 PM
5%

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/ronny1204/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

Gary82
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/ronny1204/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

gilesfan has a history of hating on servers.

yeezus
08-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Yet you call servers scumbags....

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Yet you call servers scumbags....

Well, I should be giving them nothing for takeout.

goldfly
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
i still haven't figured out why you haven't quit your horrible job to join the service industry since you think they have it so good

jpx7
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Well, I should be giving them nothing for takeout.

Fine, whatever — I usually don't tip much, if anything, for takeout, but I rarely order takeout and usually, when I'm eating takeout, it's prêt-à-manger-type stuff that requires almost no effort to prepare specifically for me (think a slice of pizza, for instance).

However, I want a real answer regarding this bartender issue. Would you really tip 5% to someone who spends 3–5 minutes strenuously and delicately preparing a complicated cocktail?

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Fine, whatever — I usually don't tip much, if anything, for takeout, but I rarely order takeout and usually, when I'm eating takeout, it's prêt-à-manger-type stuff that requires almost no effort to prepare specifically for me (think a slice of pizza, for instance).

However, I want a real answer regarding this bartender issue. Would you really tip 5% to someone who spends 3–5 minutes strenuously and delicately preparing a complicated cocktail?

No, to be honest if it was that type of cocktail (which I do not drink) and it actually takes some skills to make then yes, more than that. Probably 15%

Temo
08-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Wait, wait, so if it's a hot brunette who is nice, no tip?

gilesfan
08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Wait, wait, so if it's a hot brunette who is nice, no tip?

no

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I go to bars that serve their own beer, brewed on site. Do you think they know what they are doing?

If they aren't serving them from draft, then yeah.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 04:43 PM

If they aren't serving them from draft, then yeah.

They're also being pretty wasteful if they're spending time and resources to bottle their own beer just to serve it to patrons on-site in their own brewpub.

zitothebrave
08-01-2013, 04:46 PM
They're also being pretty wasteful if they're spending time and resources to bottle their own beer just to serve it to patrons on-site in their own brewpub.

Correct. Plus I don't know many pure brewpubs that have the funds to run a bottling line when kegging beer is much faster and cheaper.

rniki10
08-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Tipping on togo orders is kind of a grey area for me. It depends on the place where you are getting it from. There are some places where the server/bartender don't do anything but take the payment and hand the food over. I worked at a restaurant where there is someone there specifically to handle to go orders and they do a lot of the packing and everything that goes into that. However, they get paid a normal hourly wage. No tip on a regular order for a situation like that is okay, but would be nice. A really large order a small tip is suggested because of the time and effort it take to put together. I currently work at a place where usually the extremely busy bartender (or server) has to get their own orders ready. To-go orders are an extreme pain in the ass. I hate them. We do more work getting the food for a to-go together than orders in house. A 20% tip is not expected but just a show that you understand that I did more than just handing a bag to you would be appreciated. I have noticed that the people that do tip well on to-gos where I work are the ones that get there before the order is ready and watch us as we try to get there order together and see what we have to do to get it ready.

Gilesfan, I really enjoy you referring to me and my friends as scambags because of the job we do. I wish you would have to work a week as a server to see that the job is not nearly as easy as you think it is and there are many people who don't have the stomach to handle the job. I am lucky to work at a tavern in a very well to do area (many of the Braves are regulars there as well as other athletes and celebrities). Some of the well to do have become friends and have more than compensated me for my service. However, there are also those (like yourself seemingly) who think they are better than me and my co-workers and treat us like utter ****. Hell, just last night I had a big guy whisper in my ear and threaten to beat the **** out of me (I'm tiny, all of 5') if I didn't seat him before the 10 parties I already had on the list. And then had a guy continue to be disrespectful and demand that I strip on dance on the table for him and practically verbally sexually harrass me every time I walked by. And I was the manager on duty last night. Both treated the servers much worse. We asked the first guy to leave. That was just MY story for yesterday, there were plenty others. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting to make more than minimum wage to serve about 20 groups of rude, demanding, mean, sometimes hurtful and just disrespectful people a night. This job can emotionally beat you down and it takes thick skin to handle it and sometimes that's not even enough. People don't deserve to be treated like they are less than anyone.

goldfly
08-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Giles is a poor cheap person who is a troll on the topic

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 09:20 AM

You can get other beers from the brewpubs, not just their own brand.

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Tipping on togo orders is kind of a grey area for me. It depends on the place where you are getting it from. There are some places where the server/bartender don't do anything but take the payment and hand the food over. I worked at a restaurant where there is someone there specifically to handle to go orders and they do a lot of the packing and everything that goes into that. However, they get paid a normal hourly wage. No tip on a regular order for a situation like that is okay, but would be nice. A really large order a small tip is suggested because of the time and effort it take to put together. I currently work at a place where usually the extremely busy bartender (or server) has to get their own orders ready. To-go orders are an extreme pain in the ass. I hate them. We do more work getting the food for a to-go together than orders in house. A 20% tip is not expected but just a show that you understand that I did more than just handing a bag to you would be appreciated. I have noticed that the people that do tip well on to-gos where I work are the ones that get there before the order is ready and watch us as we try to get there order together and see what we have to do to get it ready.

Gilesfan, I really enjoy you referring to me and my friends as scambags because of the job we do. I wish you would have to work a week as a server to see that the job is not nearly as easy as you think it is and there are many people who don't have the stomach to handle the job. I am lucky to work at a tavern in a very well to do area (many of the Braves are regulars there as well as other athletes and celebrities). Some of the well to do have become friends and have more than compensated me for my service. However, there are also those (like yourself seemingly) who think they are better than me and my co-workers and treat us like utter ****. Hell, just last night I had a big guy whisper in my ear and threaten to beat the **** out of me (I'm tiny, all of 5') if I didn't seat him before the 10 parties I already had on the list. And then had a guy continue to be disrespectful and demand that I strip on dance on the table for him and practically verbally sexually harrass me every time I walked by. And I was the manager on duty last night. Both treated the servers much worse. We asked the first guy to leave. That was just MY story for yesterday, there were plenty others. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting to make more than minimum wage to serve about 20 groups of rude, demanding, mean, sometimes hurtful and just disrespectful people a night. This job can emotionally beat you down and it takes thick skin to handle it and sometimes that's not even enough. People don't deserve to be treated like they are less than anyone.

I can't decide if you are comparing me to those guys or not. I am not disrespectful at all and I do not ask anything of servers that isn't in their job duty. I don't cry if there is a wait, I either wait or go elsewhere.

I don't understand paying someone 20% on top of the already inflated cost of the product just to twist a cap or pour a beer. If there is a really good server that is on top of things and adds something of value, I have no issue putting a 10-15% tip on. But, for me to walk up to a bar and for the guy to reach in an ice chest, grab a beer, and twist the cap; there is no chance in hell I"m adding 20% to that.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Everyone I know would call me an over-tipper, but when it comes to a bar, I'm not tipping $1 per beer. For the most part all I get are drafts or bottles depending on what's offered, and I agree with giles as far as that goes. I'm not tipping you over 20% to twist a cap off and hand it to me.

But when I'm out at a restaurant, I usually go 20-25%. And I'm a college student working part-time with limited funds. If you can't tip 18% for good service then don't go out.

zitothebrave
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I can't decide if you are comparing me to those guys or not. I am not disrespectful at all and I do not ask anything of servers that isn't in their job duty. I don't cry if there is a wait, I either wait or go elsewhere.

I don't understand paying someone 20% on top of the already inflated cost of the product just to twist a cap or pour a beer. If there is a really good server that is on top of things and adds something of value, I have no issue putting a 10-15% tip on. But, for me to walk up to a bar and for the guy to reach in an ice chest, grab a beer, and twist the cap; there is no chance in hell I"m adding 20% to that.

Again go to better bars or order better beers. I so infrequently order a bottle of beer when I'm out. Last time I did was because a big bottle of Lagunitas 14 was on sale (cheaper than liquor store prices) time before that it was some ****hole in AC and I knew it.

Upgrade your beergame and maybe you'll respect bartenders who do their job right

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Again go to better bars or order better beers. I so infrequently order a bottle of beer when I'm out. Last time I did was because a big bottle of Lagunitas 14 was on sale (cheaper than liquor store prices) time before that it was some ****hole in AC and I knew it.

Upgrade your beergame and maybe you'll respect bartenders who do their job right

Who the **** are you to tell me where I should and shouldn't go? And if said bartender doesn't want business, they can close the place down.

zitothebrave
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Who the **** are you to tell me where I should and shouldn't go? And if said bartender doesn't want business, they can close the place down.

You can go where you want. And I wouldn't tip a bartender a buck for opening a beer. I do tip a buck for the guys who take their time to ensure clean tap lines and beer clean glasses and make quality pours.

Tapate50
08-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Gah giles, quit slumming it dude. You obviously aren't cultured enough for this forum.

chopdrew
08-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Becaus you're a low-class meathead. If you did that in my bar you'd be banned.

Runnin
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I can grab a beer and twist off the top myself. I feel completely different about waiters or waitresses busting their asses to keep up with a dozen tables or more and still remembers to check on me every few minutes. It's a tough job but there is some truth that they should do the job well and with a smile whether they getting a big tip or not.

I'm lucky that in Japan you get excellent service most everywhere, even at convenience stores, and are never expected to tip. In fact, they don't know what to do with one - I've tried. When I visit the States I'm usually embarrassed at how lazy, incompetent, uninformed and indifferent the service people are at their jobs. Good service is more the rarity instead of the norm, ime.

gilesfan
08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Becaus you're a low-class meathead. If you did that in my bar you'd be banned.

Well, aww darn.

rniki10
08-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I can grab a beer and twist off the top myself. I feel completely different about waiters or waitresses busting their asses to keep up with a dozen tables or more and still remembers to check on me every few minutes. It's a tough job but there is some truth that they should do the job well and with a smile whether they getting a big tip or not.

I'm lucky that in Japan you get excellent service most everywhere, even at convenience stores, and are never expected to tip. In fact, they don't know what to do with one - I've tried. When I visit the States I'm usually embarrassed at how lazy, incompetent, uninformed and indifferent the service people are at their jobs. Good service is more the rarity instead of the norm, ime.

Don't get me wrong. While I am a huge overtipper because I am in the industry, I will not hesitate leaving nothing if I get horrible service. For my birthday 2 years ago, I had a party of 25 people. I called and made the reservation. When I got there they weren't prepared and treated me and the rest of my party like crap. One of my friends never got their order taken. Some had to go to the bar to get their drinks and that even took forever as they watched a manager sit on his butt while a supposed new bartender got her butt handed to her. As the birthday girl I didn't get my food until we were already paying out our checks, while many never got their food at all. Tab was still $300 and they got nothing from a table full service industry people. It wasn't that things went wrong, it was that they didn't care that things went wrong, never apologized and rolled their eyes when we asked if we were ever going to get the food we ordered. Somehow made it seem like it was our fault. Servers got $0 when they could have gotten $150+. I don't tolerate lack of service.

Runnin
08-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Don't get me wrong. While I am a huge overtipper because I am in the industry, I will not hesitate leaving nothing if I get horrible service. For my birthday 2 years ago, I had a party of 25 people. I called and made the reservation. When I got there they weren't prepared and treated me and the rest of my party like crap. One of my friends never got their order taken. Some had to go to the bar to get their drinks and that even took forever as they watched a manager sit on his butt while a supposed new bartender got her butt handed to her. As the birthday girl I didn't get my food until we were already paying out our checks, while many never got their food at all. Tab was still $300 and they got nothing from a table full service industry people.
I'm guessing they didn't come out to your table and sing Happy Birthday.

That kind of service when you've made a reservation is just inexcusable. You should've written the manager a letter and sent a copy to the owner.

gilesfan
08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm guessing they didn't come out to your table and sing Happy Birthday.

That kind of service when you've made a reservation is just inexcusable. You should've written the manager a letter and sent a copy to the owner.

Happens all the time. Renee is probably a good one, but she's certainly over qualified for the position based on the experience I've had with others in the industry.

cajunrevenge
08-07-2013, 03:26 PM
That server could have probably sold that receipt for 100$.

zitothebrave
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Happens all the time. Renee is probably a good one, but she's certainly over qualified for the position based on the experience I've had with others in the industry.

Service must really suck in VA. With a few exceptions I usually get great service at most places I go to.

jpx7
08-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Service must really suck in VA. With a few exceptions I usually get great service at most places I go to.

Likewise. Certainly this is partially a factor of the sorts of restaurants and bars I usually frequent, but I'd say 90+% of the time I receive something between very good to phenomenal service — even in joints that are usually slammed (like Big Star), and often even, moreover, in little neighborhood dives. This extends beyond Chicago and throughout the Midwest, really.

Must be a Virginia issue.

thethe
08-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Likewise. Certainly this is partially a factor of the sorts of restaurants and bars I usually frequent, but I'd say 90+% of the time I receive something between very good to phenomenal service — even in joints that are usually slammed (like Big Star), and often even, moreover, in little neighborhood dives. This extends beyond Chicago and throughout the Midwest, really.

Must be a Virginia issue.

Must be an issue stemming from the patron.

zitothebrave
08-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Must be an issue stemming from the patron.

OH SNAP!!

Dalyn
08-09-2013, 03:22 AM
Observations From A Tipless Restaurant

Part 1 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview/)

Part 2 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-2-money-and-the-law/)

Part 3 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-3/)

Part 4 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-4/)

Part 5 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-5-sex-power-tips/)

jpx7
08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Observations From A Tipless Restaurant

Part 1 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview/)

Part 2 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-2-money-and-the-law/)

Part 3 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-3/)

Part 4 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-4/)

Part 5 (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-5-sex-power-tips/)

As someone who waited tables in late high-school and early college, this is something I've thought was quite sensible and would support; normalizing wages and fixing service-charges, I think, would not decrease quality of service but would likely markedly increase the quality-of-life of servers. I also really like (and concur) with the author's argument that one major aspect of the tipping system (particularly in the US) is that it "offer[s ...] servers up as objects of control".

Next, a (really awesome) restaurant in Chicago run by Grant Achatz (of Alinea fame) works on a similar model regarding service-charge and server compensation, but they extend the ethic to payment for the entire meal: you purchase tickets in advance for your table (in two-, four-, or six-person units, with optional drink-pairing packages at an additional cost), the price being entirely inclusive, and thereby no currency is exchanged during the dining experience. This is a further depresses overhead (in part, because the restaurant is thus almost always full, no tables are wasted by people reneging on their reservations, et cetera) and allows Achatz et al to pass those savings on to the customer both qualitatively and quantitatively.

The Chosen One
08-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Should make gilesfan furious.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-news/generous-stranger-tips-5-000-1-000-two-164318293.html

yeezus
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I very rarely get bad service at a restaurant. Id say, like jpx, 90%+ of the time I get very good to great service with little-to-no complaints.

gilesfan
08-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Very generous