PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Fire Ron Roenicke

rico43
05-03-2015, 09:45 PM
FROM MLBTR:
The Brewers have announced that they’ve fired manager Ron Roenicke. The team says it will announce his replacement at a press conference at 10:30am Monday. The Brewers will not make any further changes to their coaching staff at present, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com tweets.

The Brewers posted a solid 342-331 record in four-plus seasons with Roenicke at the helm, and he led the Brewers to an NL Central division win in 2011. The team also had winning records in 2012 and 2014. It exercised its 2016 option on Roenicke in Spring Training, and GM Doug Melvin said less than two weeks ago that he and owner Mark Attanasio weren’t even considering firing Roenicke. But the Brewers were off to a dreadful 7-18 start this season that led to plenty of reports and speculation about a major shakeup within the organization. The team began its season with four straight losses and hasn’t gotten back on track (although it has won its last two games), dealing with an injury to star catcher Jonathan Lucroy and subpar performances from a number of key players.

“This has been a difficult start to the season, something that we certainly didn’t anticipate,” says Melvin. “We appreciate all that Ron has done for our organization, and he has handled his duties with great professionalism and dedication.”

GovClintonTyree
05-04-2015, 12:27 AM
FROM MLBTR:
The Brewers have announced that they’ve fired manager Ron Roenicke. The team says it will announce his replacement at a press conference at 10:30am Monday. The Brewers will not make any further changes to their coaching staff at present, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com tweets.

The Brewers posted a solid 342-331 record in four-plus seasons with Roenicke at the helm, and he led the Brewers to an NL Central division win in 2011. The team also had winning records in 2012 and 2014. It exercised its 2016 option on Roenicke in Spring Training, and GM Doug Melvin said less than two weeks ago that he and owner Mark Attanasio weren’t even considering firing Roenicke. But the Brewers were off to a dreadful 7-18 start this season that led to plenty of reports and speculation about a major shakeup within the organization. The team began its season with four straight losses and hasn’t gotten back on track (although it has won its last two games), dealing with an injury to star catcher Jonathan Lucroy and subpar performances from a number of key players.

“This has been a difficult start to the season, something that we certainly didn’t anticipate,” says Melvin. “We appreciate all that Ron has done for our organization, and he has handled his duties with great professionalism and dedication.”

Well, they look like ****, pretty sure cutting Roenicke accomplishes nothing...

nsacpi
05-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Not the Braves way.

50PoundHead
05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Craig Counsell is the Brewers' new manager. One of the most annoying player I've ever watched. Maybe because he always seemed to do something to f*ck up the Braves (which really isn't true looking at his career against us, it just seemed that way).

Julio3000
05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Well, they look like ****, pretty sure cutting Roenicke accomplishes nothing...

Taking a bullet for Melvin.

On the other hand, if Counsell is the guy they want, no sense dicking around.

dak
05-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I tend to think Melvin deserves more of the blame than Roenicke for the Brewers' woes, but the team probably did under-perform their talent level. Given that they were "going for it" this year and had a coach-in-waiting, I think it's reasonable to fire Roenicke at this point.

Did they really need to sign Counsell to a 3-year deal though? I don't think the demand for his services is high enough that he would have turned down an interim manager title, but that's just me.