PDA

View Full Version : 5/7/15 minor league THREAD: Sugar Ray! Who knew?

rico43
05-07-2015, 01:41 PM
THURSDAY'S GAMES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 5, Scranton-WB 0

WP: Marimon (2-0) 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K.
Carpenter 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Peraza 1-5, SB; E. Perez 2-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI; A. Garcia 1-4, R, RBI (.356).

CLASS AA

Played in Pearl
Mississippi 4, Biloxi 0

WP: Reyes (3-1) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K.
SP: Jenkins 6 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K.
Mal.Smith 2-4, BB, SB; Castro 1-3 (.389); O'Dowd 4-4, 2B, R, RBI (.441); Lipka 0-4 (.341).

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 11, Lynchburg 1

WP: Brosius (2-1) 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.
Otero (Save, 2) 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
E. Garcia 4-4, 2 R, 2 RBI (.286); Franco 2-4, 2 R, HR (3rd), 4 RBI; D. Peterson 3-5, R, RBI; Lien 2-4, 2B, R; Schrader 0-3, R, 2 BB, RBI.

CLASS A

Hagerstown 7, Rome 6

LP: Furney (3-2) 5.1 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Albies 3-4, 2B, 3B, 2 R, RBI, SB; Kreitemeier 3-5, 2 R.

nsacpi
05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Our cup runneth over with middle infielders.

smootness
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Albies! He's now sitting at .295/.345/.381, as an 18-year-old in his first long season look. Also now with 22 R and 10 SB in 25 games. It will be interesting to see where people put him on midseason prospect lists. Some were already ready to jump him up a good bit, but others were hesitant before seeing him outside of rookie ball.

Well, it's hard not to love what he's done so far.

It will also be really interesting to see where Peterson and Mallex Smith land as well. Both have answered some questions this year and should move up quite a bit.

thethe
05-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Fangraphs already had him in the top 30. law had him in his top 70.

If he continues to stay hot and slashes around 800 he will probably be a top 20 prospect on everyones list.

Does anyone know if he grew at all in the offsesaon?

chop2chip
05-07-2015, 03:06 PM

If he continues to stay hot and slashes around 800 he will probably be a top 20 prospect on everyones list.

Yeah. It's hard to not see him land on most top 20 lists. Players with his skill set at that age tend to be highly thought of.

CJ9
05-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Did I miss something on Ricardo Sanchez? Feel like I haven't seen his name in the box score in a while.

nsacpi
05-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Albies! He's now sitting at .295/.345/.381, as an 18-year-old in his first long season look. Also now with 22 R and 10 SB in 25 games. It will be interesting to see where people put him on midseason prospect lists. Some were already ready to jump him up a good bit, but others were hesitant before seeing him outside of rookie ball.

Well, it's hard not to love what he's done so far.

It will also be really interesting to see where Peterson and Mallex Smith land as well. Both have answered some questions this year and should move up quite a bit.

And there is my new favorite under-the-radar prospect. Daniel Castro. .391/.413/.448 so far this season. Strikeout rate under 10%.

Braves1976
05-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Did I miss something on Ricardo Sanchez? Feel like I haven't seen his name in the box score in a while.

Yea, Sanchez is on the 7-day DL.

Deester11
05-07-2015, 03:25 PM

If he grew, it was about 10 milliliters. My gf thought he was honestly the bat boy. Even the short guys could pat him on the head. That being said, if you guys haven't seen his defense....trust me, it's Andrelton-lite range wise. He got to a ball from deep short on the second base side and almost threw a guy out. Quick hands to the ball.....he's going to be a good ballplayer for a while. His skill set is not prolonged for slumps.

thethe
05-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks Deester. Always appreciate the reports on the young pups.

thethe
05-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Looks like Curcio played a little 2B today. I hadn't noticed that up until today.

Went 1 for 2 with a 2B and a walk & K.

Call the kid up already please!

smootness
05-07-2015, 04:08 PM
If he grew, it was about 10 milliliters. My gf thought he was honestly the bat boy. Even the short guys could pat him on the head. That being said, if you guys haven't seen his defense....trust me, it's Andrelton-lite range wise. He got to a ball from deep short on the second base side and almost threw a guy out. Quick hands to the ball.....he's going to be a good ballplayer for a while. His skill set is not prolonged for slumps.

You put a guy with that kind of range at 2B, and you have someone who is probably the best, or close to it, defensive 2B in baseball. Pair that with the best defensive SS of all time, and holy cow.

Deester11
05-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks Deester. Always appreciate the reports on the young pups.
Thanks thethe...I usually get to look at each one of the players at least 2 times in the minors. I've hit on a few of my own personal eyeball scouting..lol. Some, not so much. Remember Alejandro Machado? LOL. I will say, that if Ricardo Sanchez can use this experience to improve, he's going to be a force. He needs to understand adjustments, but if he can get people off his fastball, watch out. At 18? I liked what I saw. Anyway, I'll try to give more info as I attend the games.

50PoundHead
05-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Carolina in total tattoo mode tonight. Ahead 10-0 after 4 innings.

Braves1976
05-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Carolina in total tattoo mode tonight. Ahead 10-0 after 4 innings.

I've been watching that game on milb.tv, though I have going back and forth from it and the Gwinnett game. Now I am doing the same with the Mississippi game. Dustin Peterson for Carolina is 2-3 with a run scored and RBI tonight. But he could be 2-2 with 3 RBI's as Godfrey should of scored on his fly out to CF in the 1st and a runner was thrown out at the plate on Dustin's first hit. Further, if Dustin Peterson keeps it up I could see him moving up the prospect rankings like his brother in Seattle did in the future.

Braves1976
05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Gwinnett up 5-0 in the 9th, Perez is 2-4 with a walk and two more steals tonight giving him a league-leading 16 steals on the year. Peraza went 1-5 and stole his 11th base, Garcia 1-4 with a walk and stolen base. Hunter 1-4 after his first hit was changed to an error on the second baseman. Further, Perez is now hitting .278 and rising after a bit of a slump. I still like him and hope to see him on the Braves MLB team at some point.

Braves1976
05-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Good bounce back effort by Jenkins for Mississippi tonight, 6 scoreless innings on 6 hits, 2 BB's and 5 K's. Mallex Smith is 1-2 with a walk and stolen base tonight. He was also caught for the first time this year too, but he is coming off a minor foot issue and tonight is the first time since that he's gotten back to stealing bases. The game is still scoreless btw.

Also, O'Dowd is 3-3 tonight and now hitting .424 on the season. Ruiz is 0-2 with a walk and Lipka 0-3 so far tonight.

50PoundHead
05-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Good bounce back effort by Jenkins for Mississippi tonight, 6 scoreless innings on 6 hits, 2 BB's and 5 K's. Mallex Smith is 1-2 with a walk and stolen base tonight. He was also caught for the first time this year too, but he is coming off a minor foot issue and tonight is the first time since that he's gotten back to stealing bases. The game is still scoreless btw.

Also, O'Dowd is 3-3 tonight and now hitting .424 on the season. Ruiz is 0-2 with a walk and Lipka 0-3 so far tonight.

Good start by Jenkins. His strike-to-ball was a little shaky, but it looks like he battled and his GO/AO was great again.

rico43
05-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Yea, Sanchez is on the 7-day DL.

Leg (calf) injury. Don't sweat it.

Julio3000
05-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Scranton-WB says no mas!

clvclv
05-07-2015, 11:35 PM

Ozhaino is a HUGE part of the reason I'm so much in favor of promoting Peraza before long. Albies is going to come faster than Jose has IMO, and he's maybe the one guy in the organization that I personally don't want blocked in any way. Having him waste away in Gwinnett for several months while you're trying to get maximum value for Peraza in a year or two could cause him to stagnate.

I think Hart & Company may well have actually identified HIM as the SS or 2B of the future already and could be willing to move Andrelton or Peraza when someone knocks their socks off for either of them. All relevant disclaimers apply (small sample size, success at lower levels doesn't always translate, etc.), but I think that he'll get every bit of the hype that any hitter prospect in our system has in years by the middle of next season and could very well be ready by the time the new park opens.

weso1
05-08-2015, 07:26 AM
1987 Cardinals comin.

thethe
05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
1987 Cardinals comin.

That's what I've thought for a long time. With Freeman taking a big step and Simmons producing it's going to work.

smootness
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Ozhaino is a HUGE part of the reason I'm so much in favor of promoting Peraza before long. Albies is going to come faster than Jose has IMO, and he's maybe the one guy in the organization that I personally don't want blocked in any way. Having him waste away in Gwinnett for several months while you're trying to get maximum value for Peraza in a year or two could cause him to stagnate.

I think Hart & Company may well have actually identified HIM as the SS or 2B of the future already and could be willing to move Andrelton or Peraza when someone knocks their socks off for either of them. All relevant disclaimers apply (small sample size, success at lower levels doesn't always translate, etc.), but I think that he'll get every bit of the hype that any hitter prospect in our system has in years by the middle of next season and could very well be ready by the time the new park opens.

I'm already on record, but let me just state again: No, no, no, no, no. That would be the biggest mistake we've made in a long time. Luckily, I doubt the front office would ever consider it.

Albies' best value for a team may be at SS, but you can't get rid of Simmons to facilitate that. Simmons is invaluable to this team going forward.

Deester11
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm already on record, but let me just state again: No, no, no, no, no. That would be the biggest mistake we've made in a long time. Luckily, I doubt the front office would ever consider it.

Albies' best value for a team may be at SS, but you can't get rid of Simmons to facilitate that. Simmons is invaluable to this team going forward. Make no mistake about it. Let's hope Simmons is a Brave for a long time. As long as we are smart contract wise, he should retire a Brave. That being said, we have two strengths in the minors right now: Pitching and Middle Infielders. What Hart did to the system in the span of a year was all the more important when you consider the draft. We can go after high potential arms and bats and when we need to replenish the MLB team, we can do that. Simmons may not be dealt, but Ozzie is no slouch even now. Let's just hope we continue to have a good problem debate in the future

Julio3000
05-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Leg (calf) injury. Don't sweat it.

Wait, are we talking about Veal now?

Enscheff
05-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I predict one of Simmons/Peraza/Albies is packaged with pitching to bring Tulo to Atlanta to play 3B.

Sign JUp.

Dominate.

chop2chip
05-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I predict one of Simmons/Peraza/Albies is packaged with pitching to bring Tulo to Atlanta to play 3B.

Sign JUp.

Dominate.
Simmons for Tulo?

Not a fan

Julio3000
05-08-2015, 12:20 PM
**** Simmons for Tulo. Sideways.

thethe
05-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Why would we trade for Tulo? Guy is not the same player (still good) away.

He is hurt a lot and is on the wrong side of 30.

No thanks.

Sign J-Upt? YES PLEASE!

clvclv
05-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Sign JUp.

Dominate.

Would be an interesting thought, but I don't think we'd be willing to part with the level of Pitcher they'd be looking for to make it happen. If Simmons/Peraza/Albies plus something like Banuelos and Sims would get it done I could see pulling the trigger, but I don't think they'd be willing to add any of Wisler, Folty, or Fried in any package that also included one of those infielders unless they were getting somebody like Kris Bryant back. Tulo's injury concerns and contract are just too big a detriment to feel comfortable including more than 1 premium prospect/young guy for for my taste.

That said, if they were willing to add David Dahl or Raimel Tapia to Tulo AND take Chris Johnson's deal back...

smootness
05-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Make no mistake about it. Let's hope Simmons is a Brave for a long time. As long as we are smart contract wise, he should retire a Brave. That being said, we have two strengths in the minors right now: Pitching and Middle Infielders. What Hart did to the system in the span of a year was all the more important when you consider the draft. We can go after high potential arms and bats and when we need to replenish the MLB team, we can do that. Simmons may not be dealt, but Ozzie is no slouch even now. Let's just hope we continue to have a good problem debate in the future

Yes, we do have a surplus of middle infielders. We also have Simmons, which makes our minor leaguers expendable, not the other way around. Personally, if everyone reaches their potential, I want Simmons at SS and Albies at 2B.

I honestly can't believe people would actually consider trading Simmons.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Yes, we do have a surplus of middle infielders. We also have Simmons, which makes our minor leaguers expendable, not the other way around. Personally, if everyone reaches their potential, I want Simmons at SS and Albies at 2B.

I honestly can't believe people would actually consider trading Simmons.

I agree, I'm as high on Simmons as anyone. I have been arguing that he's special since his early minor league days. But I am not surprised that people would consider trading him and I doubt you truly are yourself. There are fans that would trade basically anyone and some for a lot less than you'd believe. Nothing surprises me in that regard to be honest. Further, I think it was Bill Shanks that claimed that when the Yankees made a run at Simmons this off-season that the Braves would consider trading him, and that pretty much no one is totally off-limits.

clvclv
05-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I agree, I'm as high on Simmons as anyone. I have been arguing that he's special since his early minor league days. But I am not surprised that people would consider trading him and I doubt you truly are yourself. There are fans that would trade basically anyone and some for a lot less than you'd believe. Nothing surprises me in that regard to be honest. Further, I think it was Bill Shanks that claimed that when the Yankees made a run at Simmons this off-season that the Braves would consider trading him, and that pretty much no one is totally off-limits.

I think Hart's (or any other GM for that matter) not doing his job if he's not willing to "listen" to offers for everybody. That doesn't mean he has to accept any of those offers.

The asking price for Andrelton would obviously be substantially higher than for Jose or Ozhaino, but Hart would be a fool for not at least considering moving him if (for some reason) Boston wanted to keep him away from the Yankees and offered something like Jackie Bradley, Rafael Devers, and Brian Johnson for him. I'm not saying they would, but they're certainly in a position to. The reasoning behind something like that is they'd be able to keep Simmons away from the Yankees and then decide which one of Andrelton or Bogaerts they wanted to keep - spinning the other off to someone else to replace the prospects they gave up to begin with. If Simmons really has turned the corner with his offense, a move like that could make a ton of sense for the Red Sox.

Julio3000
05-08-2015, 03:53 PM
I think Hart's (or any other GM for that matter) not doing his job if he's not willing to "listen" to offers for everybody. That doesn't mean he has to accept any of those offers.

The asking price for Andrelton would obviously be substantially higher than for Jose or Ozhaino, but Hart would be a fool for not at least considering moving him if (for some reason) Boston wanted to keep him away from the Yankees and offered something like Jackie Bradley, Rafael Devers, and Brian Johnson for him. I'm not saying they would, but they're certainly in a position to. The reasoning behind something like that is they'd be able to keep Simmons away from the Yankees and then decide which one of Andrelton or Bogaerts they wanted to keep - spinning the other off to someone else to replace the prospects they gave up to begin with. If Simmons really has turned the corner with his offense, a move like that could make a ton of sense for the Red Sox.

You'd do that?

thethe
05-08-2015, 03:57 PM
You'd do that?

I have no clue why the Braves would be interested in that type of deal. Simmons is a top 10 player in terms of value right now in the major leagues.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 04:11 PM
You'd do that?

I'd laugh at that, no way do you trade Simmons for a few prospects that are unproven at the Major league level. Any GM (or President in our case) that would should be fired IMO.

clvclv
05-08-2015, 05:28 PM
You'd do that?

I don't know that I would. The point is I'd certainly "listen".

If - as Braves1976 suggests - a GM would be fired for considering something like that, Hart would've already been out since that's arguably a better return than he got in either the Heyward, Upton, or Gattis deals. Bradley's ready to solve our CF situation now, Devers is already ahead of Ruiz according to every major ranking I've seen (with a substantially higher ceiling and big-time power), and Johnson's ceiling is a #3 (and he's all but ready to step into a rotation now). I don't think I'd take it at first glance, but would be tempted if they substituted Eduardo Rodriguez for Johnson. Rodriguez would push past all the arms we've already acquired and would become our best pitching prospect, Devers would rank no lower than our #4 prospect, plus you land your CF for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure that's even enough for me, but I'd definitely have our scouts take a long, hard look at them before I'd say no out of hand. The problem I have with folks that say those kind of offers are ridiculous is that they're the same ones that roasted Hart for the earlier deals that are currently awfully quiet when discussions turn to how those prospects we got are performing now. Everyone's big on Simmons right now while he's hot, but if he suddenly regresses and he returns to his old approach that turns into a really good return for a defense-only SS that's going to be making $12 million per when the new park opens.

That's always the problem when you start trying to label players as "untouchable" IMO - people that want to do that always scream that you're giving someone away for unproven prospects. It wasn't very long ago when Simmons was an "unproven prospect" with HUGE questions about his bat. We all hope he's turning that corner and that this is what we're going to get from him offensively from here on out, but there's no guarantee we will.

Again, the point isn't about Andrelton specifically - it's that both Wren and Hart have said (correctly IMO) that they wouldn't ever consider anyone "off-limits", and that IF they got the right kind of offer after consulting the people they'd put in place to help them make those decisions they'd be willing to trade anyone.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 05:41 PM
If - as Braves1976 suggests - a GM would be fired for considering something like that, Hart would've already been out since that's arguably a better return than he got in either the Heyward, Upton, or Gattis deals.

Actually, that doesn't hold up because Simmons is not just very special he's also signed through 2020 unlike Heyward, Upton or Gattis. Quite frankly, I'd argue that it makes no sense to compare trading Simmons to trading Heyward and Upton heading into their last year before free agency. Further, I said: "Any GM (or President in our case) that would should be fired IMO" not that they "would be fired for considering something like that".

clvclv
05-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Actually, that doesn't hold up because Simmons is not just very special he's also signed through 2020 unlike Heyward, Upton or Gattis. Quite frankly, I'd argue that it makes no sense to compare trading Simmons to trading Heyward and Upton heading into their last year before free agency.

Again, you're cherry-picking. They DID control Gattis for a similar period (at a substantially smaller financial commitment than Simmons is owed), and that would be a better return than they got for him as well as a better return than they got for the others.

Labeling someone as "untouchable" can be just as bad as making bad free-agent signings. You need to look at every opportunity to improve the organization as a whole rather than being stubborn - those kinds of decisions lead you down the road the Phillies currently live on pretty quickly. Trying to set everything up for a short window where you're going to make a run ALWAYS comes with the cost of having extended down cycles when that window does close.

The goal is to get the system back to a point where we're consistently able to replace injured or expensive players from within - THAT's what leads to extended periods of success when you don't have the financial flexibility that some organizations have.

Julio3000
05-08-2015, 06:05 PM
The GM is not doing his job if he is not listening. And I agree with you that no one is untouchable. You put that out as a specific proposition, and I was just curious to know if you, as GM, would take it.

I'm familiar with Devers. I'm familiar with all the scouting reports on him, and I've seen him play a handful of times. He's 18 and really impressive. I have not seen Rio play, but I would not at all be surprised if Devers ended up outshining him by a wide margin.

That said, he's 18. IMO, it would be unwise to trade Tron. However, if we did, Devers would be the start, and would have to get more than Johnson and Bradley. Bottom line, even if you consider Tron as a defense-only guy, you are still under-rating him.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Again, you're cherry-picking. They DID control Gattis for a similar period (at a substantially smaller financial commitment than Simmons is owed), and that would be a better return than they got for him as well as a better return than they got for the others.

Nah I just didn't feel the need to go into detail on Gattis since most here agree his situation is different, or at the very least not comparable to Simmons. Further, I am not interested in debating you on which prospect return is best. But if I were to even consider trading Simmons I would need a lot more than what you suggested. And as I implied at least one very good proven MLB player would need to be included for me to take such an offer serious.

clvclv
05-08-2015, 09:36 PM
The GM is not doing his job if he is not listening. And I agree with you that no one is untouchable. You put that out as a specific proposition, and I was just curious to know if you, as GM, would take it.

I'm familiar with Devers. I'm familiar with all the scouting reports on him, and I've seen him play a handful of times. He's 18 and really impressive. I have not seen Rio play, but I would not at all be surprised if Devers ended up outshining him by a wide margin.

That said, he's 18. IMO, it would be unwise to trade Tron. However, if we did, Devers would be the start, and would have to get more than Johnson and Bradley. Bottom line, even if you consider Tron as a defense-only guy, you are still under-rating him.

I don't think I'm underrating Simmons at all - I said it would take a substantially larger offer to pry him away than for either of the prospects - I never said I'd accept either of those fantasy offers. You read what I said (or at least intended to say) correctly and asked the question I was asking myself as well - IF Boston were to make that kind of fantasy baseball offer WOULD you consider it, or how much more would you ask for before you simply couldn't say "no"? I just pulled that offer out of the air as the type of starting point where I think you'd have to be to get Hart to even put the scouts to work watching specific players. Assuming that was Cherrington's initial offer, you at least know he's pretty interested.

In that fantasy scenario, I said I don't think Johnson would be enough for me personally to even start those scouts' motors. That doesn't mean I would instantly hang up the phone and be offended at the offer. I'd personally do a little more "feeling out" and say "thanks, but that's not going to get it done. BUT if you're willing to substitute Rodriguez for Johnson we could be getting closer". If that was a non-starter for Cherrington, then I'd know that he's likely only trying to play keep-away from the Yankees and probably isn't going to give me enough to put me in a position where I couldn't say "no". If he doesn't flinch at Bradley, Rodriguez, and Devers I'd then push to see how far he's willing to go. Cherrington staying in the discussion at that point lets me know that he really wants him and I just need to find out exactly how much - we've established three of the pieces. Hart's then in the driver's seat, and can push the envelope as far as possible. "Tell ya what Ben - throw in Manuel Margot since you've got so much OF depth ahead of him and you've got a deal."