PDA

View Full Version : 5/8/15 MINOR LEAGUE THREAD: Povse comes back; Janas goes on DL

rico43
05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
FRIDAY GAMES

ALL TIMES EST

CLASS AAA

Lehigh Valley 4, Gwinnett 3

SP: Banuelos 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
LP: Kurcz (0-2) 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
Hunter 2-4, 2B, R, RBI; A. Garcia 2-4, R; Castro 0-2, RBI (AAA debut).

CLASS AA

Mississippi 4, Biloxi 2
Played in Pearl

WP: Brigham (3-2) 6.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K.
R. Kelly (Save, 7) 1 IP.
Ahrens 1-2, 2B, 2 BB; Mx. Smith 2-4, R, 2 RBI; O'Down 1-3, R, RBI (.432);

ADVANCED CLASS A

Salem 1,Carolina 0

LP: Gil (0-5) 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
Briceno 1-3, 2B; Hyams 1-4, SB.

CLASS A

Rome 13, Hagerstown 0

SP: Povse 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. (back off DL)
WP: Beech (1-2) 5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
Albies 2-4, 3B, 4 RBI, SB (.303); Davidson 2-4, 3 R, HR (3rd), 2 RBI; J.J. Franco 2-4, 3 R, RBI (debut); Curcio 1-4, 3B, R.

MOVES: Max Povse comes off DL (whew)
Castro promoted to Gwinnett (Reyes on DL with hand contusion)
Veal outrighted to Gwinnett.
E. Garcia from Carolina to Miss.
Tyler Jones (closer) from Carolina to Miss.
RHP Justin Jackson from Miss. to Carolina
Caleb Dirks from Rome to Carolina
Steve Janas on DL (uh-oh, no cause given). Janas took a perfect game into the 7th inning in his last start. Someone help us with details here!
Reed Harper from Rome to Carolina
J.J. Franco sighting! promoted to Rome from extended spring

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 05:21 PM
nsacpi will be happy to know that his boy Castro has been promoted to AAA Gwinnett and is starting at short tonight for them. Both Reyes and Kazmar are now on the 7-day DL. Also, Veal himself announced via instagram that he had cleared waivers and accepted being outrighted to Gwinnett. So he's still with us and back there now.

thethe
05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Banuelos is having a solid year so far. This kid was at one point a top 20 prospect.

thethe
05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Albies with his 4th triple on the season tonight. Probably has around a 770 OPS now. Kid is such a stud. Starting to K a bit less and walk a little more.

Davidson with his 4th homer tonight. Kid has quietly had a really good year.

My new crush Keith Curcio with a triple and a walk tonight.

Rome is an exciting team to watch. Won 14-0 today.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Banuelos is having a solid year so far. This kid was at one point a top 20 prospect.

I just finished watching tonight's Gwinnett game, Garcia and Hunter helped lead the comeback. They scored three in the ninth to take a 3-2 lead and with one out in the bottom half the Braves first baseman made a bad error on a potential DP ball, if he makes that play it probably ends the game. Then next batter doubles off the wall to win it 4-3 for the Iron Pigs.

That said, Man-Ban looked very good overall tonight as he really had his change-up working. I mean it was really nasty at times, plus he threw some good curveballs and fastballs too. He certainly has enough pitches to be a starter once he gets enough innings under his belt again to be counted on for a full season of starts. I still like that trade as much as I did when it was made.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Mallex Smith with another two hit night, including two RBI's. Rio Ruiz still needs to get going, he was 0-4 tonight and is now hitting .202 on the season.

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 09:00 PM
The Iron Pigs announcers were praising Adonis Garcia tonight noting he has hits in 23 of 25 games this year for Gwinnett. They also said they liked him in the Yankees system last year too. He played third again tonight and looked fine there including a good play to help turn a nice DP. The knock on him is said to be his defense but if so I have sure seen a lot worse.

thethe
05-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Albies is scary man. Have we had a prospects this good since Heyward? Could he even be better than Heyward? Heyward first full season in Rome I believe was his age 19 season and he was insanely good. Albies will be 18 all season and is on the way to producing to last year levels.

chop2chip
05-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Could he even be better than Heyward?.
If you thought Heyward was going to be an all time great player, what does that make Albies?

thethe
05-08-2015, 09:16 PM
If you thought Heyward was going to be an all time great player, what does that make Albies?

Albies size limits his ceiling for me and I didn't start thinking that about Heyward until he started destroying AA in 09.

If Albies continues this up until AA while being a yaer younger than Heyward you bet your bottom dollar the hype train will be at full speed!

chop2chip
05-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Albies size limits his ceiling for me and I didn't start thinking that about Heyward until he started destroying AA in 09.

If Albies continues this up until AA while being a yaer younger than Heyward you bet your bottom dollar the hype train will be at full speed!

Hahahaha I credit you for your consistency at least

Braves1976
05-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Albies with his 4th triple on the season tonight. Probably has around a 770 OPS now. Kid is such a stud. Starting to K a bit less and walk a little more.

Davidson with his 4th homer tonight. Kid has quietly had a really good year.

My new crush Keith Curcio with a triple and a walk tonight.

Rome is an exciting team to watch. Won 14-0 today.

I am pretty sure it was Davidson's third homer, but I do like him and expect more power to come. He is very patient and walks a lot too.

smootness
05-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Albies is scary man. Have we had a prospects this good since Heyward? Could he even be better than Heyward? Heyward first full season in Rome I believe was his age 19 season and he was insanely good. Albies will be 18 all season and is on the way to producing to last year levels.

Uh....what? As a prospect?

Heyward was 18 in Rome and hit .323/.388/.483. Then went to A+ and AA at 19 and OPS'd at 1.057 in AA. No, Albies won't ever be the prospect Heyward was. And I really, really like Albies' potential, but he just doesn't have near the power Heyward did.

Heyward was a once-every-several-years type of prospect.

thethe
05-09-2015, 04:30 AM

Heyward was 18 in Rome and hit .323/.388/.483. Then went to A+ and AA at 19 and OPS'd at 1.057 in AA. No, Albies won't ever be the prospect Heyward was. And I really, really like Albies' potential, but he just doesn't have near the power Heyward did.

Don't be quick to dismiss this kid. He just started the season slow. If he continues to do what he has been doing the last two weeks then the sky is the limit. He has to do it obviously but we aren't talking about a so so kid. This is a guy who completed his age 17 year and was a top 30 prospects on fangraphs list.

jimsnores
05-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Nice to see Wisler have some success this week. He hasn't impressed much, but his SO per innings is fine and he has an absurdly high BABIP number, especially as compared to his past seasons. With he and Jenkins looking better, along with Man Ban, things are looking okay on the farm for starters. Janas has been intriguing as well, but I still haven't seen anything about his DL cause. Anyone know yet?

Tapate50
05-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Povse was an early pick that the pundits turned their nose up to. He has the size and I wouldn't be shocked if he added a tick or two on his offerings but the guy is tall and hopefully can pitch with that downward plane that gives hitters fits. So far, so good.

50PoundHead
05-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Heyward may or may not reach his ceiling, but he was a five-tool prospect. Albies best tool--speed--is likely to transfer seamlessly as he moves up the ladder, but he's not the prospect Heyward was.

smootness
05-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Heyward may or may not reach his ceiling, but he was a five-tool prospect. Albies best tool--speed--is likely to transfer seamlessly as he moves up the ladder, but he's not the prospect Heyward was.

This is my point. Albies is great, I love the kid's potential. I'm not dismissing him or sleeping on him. But suggesting he could get to Heyward's level is a slight to what Heyward was as a prospect and what he did in the minors.

Albies may hit well over .300, but he hasn't shown the plate discipline Heyward had, and he certainly doesn't have the power.

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Janas has been intriguing as well, but I still haven't seen anything about his DL cause. Anyone know yet?

I haven't heard anything yet, I hope it's nothing serious and something very minor. I like Janas a lot, a recent MILB.com article notes that the 6-foot-6 hurler credited his success to improved command of his 89-91 mph fastball and the addition of a cutter halfway through 2014 to his slider and changeup. "It's just another off-speed pitch I have now," Janas said. "It's another pitch hitters have to look for, and after a lot of the work I put into it during the offseason, I have a good one to show too. Between the cutter and the slider, I have two pitches now, something hard, something slow, that keeps a batter off a little bit."

Janas has been a groundball machine, he throws a lot of sinkers and change-ups and mixes his pitches very well.

50PoundHead
05-09-2015, 04:56 PM
This is my point. Albies is great, I love the kid's potential. I'm not dismissing him or sleeping on him. But suggesting he could get to Heyward's level is a slight to what Heyward was as a prospect and what he did in the minors.

Albies may hit well over .300, but he hasn't shown the plate discipline Heyward had, and he certainly doesn't have the power.

Agreed.