PDA

View Full Version : 5/9/15 MINOR LEAGUE FINAL: Carolina plays a pair

rico43
05-09-2015, 03:05 AM
SATURDAY GAMES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 5, Lehigh Valley 1

SP: G. Smith 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K..
WP: Boggs (1-0) 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
E. Perez 2-4, HR (1st), RBI; Garcia 2-5, 2B, R, RBI; Castro 0-3, 2 BB.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5, Biloxi 2 (10)

SP: Ross 5 IP, 5 H, 1 WER, 1 BB, 4 K.
WP: Robinson (2-1) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Landoni 3-5, 2B, R, RBI; O'Down 1-4, 2B; Lipka 0-3.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Game One
Carolina 6, Salem 1

WP: Sims (2-3) 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
Schrader 3-4, 2B,. 3B, HR (4th), 3 RBI; Franco 1-2, 2B, R, 2 RBI.

Game Two
Salem 4, Carolina 2

LP: Waszak (1-1) 3 IOP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
Oliver 1-3, R, RBI; Lien 1-1, BB.

CLASS A

Greensboro 8, Rome 5

LP: Barker (2-3) 5.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.
Obregon 2-5, RBI; Murpphiy 1-3, 3B, RBI..

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Lucas Sims with a complete game win today for Carolina, 1 run but it wasn't earned. Dustin Peterson went 3-3 with a BB and outfield assist. Great game for them!

Eury Perez having a good game for Gwinnett again, 2 hits including a homer. Plus he got another outfield assist nailing a runner a home. While Mallex Smith is 1-2 with a BB tonight to go along with 2 runs scored and a stolen base for Mississippi.

PS: Garcia keeps hitting, he just killed a breaking ball that just missed going out. It scores Peraza giving the G-Braves a 2-1 lead and leaves runners and second and third with only one out in 8th.

weso1
05-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I would say call Eury up, but Maybin is playing pretty good baseball right now. Might as well see if he can keep it up. Can't help but start to think the Braves found something in Peterson. The stats prior to this year don't show much other than a guy that has a bit of pop, but hard to ignore the start he's off to this season. The two obvious things that stand out are that he's striking out less and walking a lot more.

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 07:55 PM
The main thing with Perez for me is that I don't want to lose him next year via waivers because we don't have room (Perez will be out of options next year). He may turn out to be only a back-up or 4th outfielder type but since he's a righty that historically handles lefties very well that makes him ideal in that role since our potential starter going forward is Mallex Smith. This would give us a chance to give Smith off days vs a tough lefty and play Perez. Plus Perez is very fast as shown by his leading the league in stolen bases in AAA. So he is also an ideal pinch runner late since he is likely to be able to steal second.

thethe
05-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I would say call Eury up, but Maybin is playing pretty good baseball right now. Might as well see if he can keep it up. Can't help but start to think the Braves found something in Peterson. The stats prior to this year don't show much other than a guy that has a bit of pop, but hard to ignore the start he's off to this season. The two obvious things that stand out are that he's striking out less and walking a lot more.

Braves brought in Chad McDonald who knows that system up and down. I'm sure he was clammoring to get Dustin as much as anyone. Kid looks like he has tremendous tools.

chop2chip
05-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Braves brought in Chad McDonald who knows that system up and down. I'm sure he was clammoring to get Dustin as much as anyone. Kid looks like he has tremendous tools.
Considering how those prospects are doing, I say that man deserves a healthy raise.

Also, We can't forget about Maybin. I am sure he was considered a dead weight loss in that deal from the beginning, but he's been one of the most pleasant surprises to the season.

thethe
05-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Considering how those prospects are doing, I say that man deserves a healthy raise.

Also, We can't forget about Maybin. I am sure he was considered a dead weight loss in that deal from the beginning, but he's been one of the most pleasant surprises to the season.

Makes me feel really optimistic about Fried when he is healthy as well.

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 09:05 PM

We got Maybin in the Kimbrel/Upton deal, Dustin came in the Justin Upton deal along with Jace Peterson, Mallex Smith, Max Fried and international bonus money. But either way Chad McDonald was probably involved in both trades since both were with the Padres.

chop2chip
05-09-2015, 09:12 PM
We got Maybin in the Kimbrel/Upton deal, Dustin came in the Justin Upton deal along with Jace Peterson, Mallex Smith, Max Fried and international bonus money. But either way Chad McDonald was probably involved in both trades since both were with the Padres.I am aware how we acquired Maybin. I was making the same point as you did in that last sentence.

Julio3000
05-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I hoped we'd somehow grab Maybin when they DFA'd him . . . little did I know. I think he has some value.

I'd like to see us bring Perez up.

50PoundHead
05-09-2015, 10:24 PM
I hoped we'd somehow grab Maybin when they DFA'd him . . . little did I know. I think he has some value.

I'd like to see us bring Perez up.

The EYJ era appears to be coming to an end. Perez or Cunningham would make more sense that EYJ at this point.

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 10:28 PM
I don't see how we cannot give Adonis Garcia a shot at some point too. I mean he has hits in almost every game so far, all but two IIRC. Plus a lot of multi-hit games too. He's also looked fine at third since he's played there regularly, he made a couple errors there early on but none since.

Julio3000
05-09-2015, 10:31 PM
The EYJ era appears to be coming to an end. Perez or Cunningham would make more sense that EYJ at this point.

It's the logical move. We don't really need 6 outfielders on the roster, but we don't really need two utility infielders either. Both Cunningham and Perez are more relevant to the future.

Braves1976
05-09-2015, 10:35 PM
It's the logical move. We don't really need 6 outfielders on the roster, but we don't really need two utility infielders either. Both Cunningham and Perez are more relevant to the future.

If up to me EYJ would already be long gone with a kid from AAA getting a shot in his place. Plus I rather see Garcia off the bench than Gosselin too.