PDA

View Full Version : 5/11/15 MONDAY MINOR FINAL: Hursh awful, Rome walkoff

rico43
05-11-2015, 05:21 AM
MONDAY GAMES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Syracuse 5, Gwinnett 2

LP: Wang (0-4) 6 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
Castro 3-4 (.385); Peraza 1-4, RBI, SB; My. Jones 2-3, 2B, 3B, 2 R, BB, OF asst.; A. Garcia 0-5.

CLASS AA

Mobile 6, Mississippi 1

LP: Hursh (0-3) 5.2 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
Rohm 1-4; Mx. Smith 1-3, BB, OF assist.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 3, Salem 1

SP: Walters 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K.
WP: Cabrera (2-0) 3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(1R), 1 BB, 4 K.
Otero (Save, 3) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Schrader 2-2, 2 RBI; Hyams 1-4, SB; D. Peterson 2-4, 2 R, SB (.314).

CLASS A

Rome 7, Greensboro 6

Walkoff win on McElroy RBI 1B.
SP: Grosser 6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.
Caicedo 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. (2015 debut)
WP: Kinman (BS, 1-0) 2 IP, 0 H, 1 ER(3R), 3 BB, 2 K.
Edgerton 3-5, 2 R (.337); Albies 2-5, R, SB (.317); Nevarez 1-4, 2B, R, RBI; Tellor 2-5, 2B, HR (1st), 4 RBI; Davidson 1-2, 2 BB; Curcio 2-5, R, RBI (.352).

thethe
05-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Lets hope Hursh can bounce back. He has had a rough season. Might be time to focus on moving him to the pen. Looks like we are going to need a bunch of options in there moving forward.

Tapate50
05-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Hursh is getting to the point to seek out a better role for him. Let him get to that back end of the pen, and turn that arm loose might show us a good option for what ails this current roster.

clvclv
05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
With Wisler's good outing yesterday to go along with nice recent showings of Banuelos, Sims, and Thurman plus several others' having breakout seasons, you've got to figure it's just a matter of time before Hursh moves to the pen. I'd imagine they'll want to have him work those shorter stints for a little while to make sure he establishes better fastball command when he's able to turn it loose every time he throws it though. One or two more bad starts, and I could imagine him being in the big club's pen after the break.

thethe
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
FYI, Wisler was named International League pitcher of the week.

I could see him being in the major league rotation come July 1st.

nsacpi
05-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Who is this Daniel Castro fellow.

thethe
05-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Dustin Peterson with a few more hits tonight.

Won't be too long until he is in AA. Maybe an August call up and then in AAA by midseason next year.

Braves1976
05-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Mallex Smith continues to get on base too for Mississippi, he's 1-3 with a BB and outfield assist (third base) so far tonight. While Ruiz continues to not hit and Lipka is continues to slump after a great start.

smootness
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM
It is past time for Hursh to move to the pen. He clearly isn't a starter.

More good stuff for our hitters, though.

sturg33
05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Love seeing all the Braxton Davidson walks.

I assume we'll see Wisler and ManBan this summer

Any news on Mike Minor?

smootness
05-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Love seeing all the Braxton Davidson walks.

.225 AVG with a .384 OBP. That is nuts.

dak
05-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Any news on Mike Minor?

Should hear something this week. Hart said this on May 2 . . .

“Right now there are still some issues there,” Hart said. “This (move) provides us some more flexibility. We don’t see him coming back anytime soon. Hopefully the next week or 10 days we will have our arms a little bit more around what needs to be done. We felt this was the right move for the organization (and) the right thing for Mike because he’s not close to being out there ready to go.”

Braves1976
05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Kohn is on the DL with Gwinnett with a shoulder strain, Bowman said he'd probably been recalled this week otherwise. Also, did anyone hear why Steve Janas hit the DL for Carolina?

cajunrevenge
05-11-2015, 11:14 PM
My body is ready for the Peterson hype train. Matter of time before he is our #1 prospect?

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 05:34 AM
My body is ready for the Peterson hype train. Matter of time before he is our #1 prospect?

Never, he'd have to pass Albies.

thethe
05-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Yeah, and Peraza as well. Braves system is loaded right now and if Sims can build off of his last start then it has to be considered top 5. Just high level players all over the system.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Yeah, and Peraza as well. Braves system is loaded right now and if Sims can build off of his last start then it has to be considered top 5. Just high level players all over the system.

I guess I meant long term, as I don't expect Peraza to be there when and if Peterson makes a real case for it.

thethe
05-12-2015, 06:59 AM
Fair point. I also think Peraza will lose his eligibility at some point this year.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 07:17 AM
So... Castro and Garcia?

What's the scoop?

50PoundHead
05-12-2015, 08:00 AM
So... Castro and Garcia?

What's the scoop?

Eric Garcia was our 20th round pick in 2012 out of the University of Missouri. Hasn't had a stellar career to this point, but maybe the light bulb has come on. LHH; so that helps. Mostly a 2B, but has played a lot of SS and some 3B.

Daniel Castro has had a meteoric rise after two nondescript seasons in the Dominican Summer League in 2010 and 2011. Braves sent him to the Mexican League (I think they have a cooperative agreement with one of the teams there) where his game picked up considerably. Short of IFs, the Braves added him to the Lynchburg roster late in 2013. He stuck there the next year and moved up to Mississippi mid-year in 2014. His game has continued to improve and he's now in Gwinnett after a solid start in Mississippi this season. Has kind of flip-flopped with Peraza and is now playing more SS. Peraza was the SS in Lynchburg when Castro first came stateside in 2013, so Castro played 2B in that particular situation. With Peraza moving to 2B, Castro is back at SS. Only 22. Doesn't walk much. Doesn't K much.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Eric Garcia was our 20th round pick in 2012 out of the University of Missouri. Hasn't had a stellar career to this point, but maybe the light bulb has come on. LHH; so that helps. Mostly a 2B, but has played a lot of SS and some 3B.

Daniel Castro has had a meteoric rise after two nondescript seasons in the Dominican Summer League in 2010 and 2011. Braves sent him to the Mexican League (I think they have a cooperative agreement with one of the teams there) where his game picked up considerably. Short of IFs, the Braves added him to the Lynchburg roster late in 2013. He stuck there the next year and moved up to Mississippi mid-year in 2014. His game has continued to improve and he's now in Gwinnett after a solid start in Mississippi this season. Has kind of flip-flopped with Peraza and is now playing more SS. Peraza was the SS in Lynchburg when Castro first came stateside in 2013, so Castro played 2B in that particular situation. With Peraza moving to 2B, Castro is back at SS. Only 22. Doesn't walk much. Doesn't K much.

I meant the Garcia with the rock physique.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 08:10 AM
And for some reason I thought Shrader was a catching prospect. I get confused sometimes.

50PoundHead
05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
I meant the Garcia with the rock physique.

Got ya. Adonis Garcia defected from Cuba in 2011. Signed with the Yankees in 2012 for $400,000. Had trouble establishing residency, which delayed his signing. Mostly an OF in his career to this point in the states, but has played some 3B (which I think the Braves want to see if he can do). Hadn't hit that much in his pro career until last season at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Seems to subscribe to the hitting approach that you can't "walk off the island." If he continues to hit and shows he can play 3B adequately, my guess is the Braves would view him as a possible bench guy, especially if they try to move Chris Johnson at some point.

There's a poster here whose sister dates (or dated) Jake Schrader. He could probably provide the best scouting report on him. Guy appears to be able to rake.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Got ya. Adonis Garcia defected from Cuba in 2011. Signed with the Yankees in 2012 for $400,000. Had trouble establishing residency, which delayed his signing. Mostly an OF in his career to this point in the states, but has played some 3B (which I think the Braves want to see if he can do). Hadn't hit that much in his pro career until last season at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Seems to subscribe to the hitting approach that you can't "walk off the island." If he continues to hit and shows he can play 3B adequately, my guess is the Braves would view him as a possible bench guy, especially if they try to move Chris Johnson at some point.

There's a poster here whose sister dates (or dated) Jake Schrader. He could probably provide the best scouting report on him. Guy appears to be able to rake.

Thanks!

MadduxFanII
05-12-2015, 08:52 AM
****, it looks like Carolina's bus overturned and several players are hurt.

zbhargrove
05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Castro reminds me of a Prado type... unheralded, but solid numbers throughout. Maybe less power, although Prado didn't show much pop in the minors either.

thethe
05-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Castro reminds me of a Prado type... unheralded, but solid numbers throughout. Maybe less power, although Prado didn't show much pop in the minors either.

We can only hope. Prado is a hell of a player and on a controlled salary he had tremendous value.

nsacpi
05-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Prado is a very good comp for Castro. But we have to keep in mind that if we made a list of players who looked similar to Prado and Castro through their age 22 seasons, Prado's subsequent development would put him at the 90% percentile or higher for that group. Just a little reminder of how tough the odds are for the guys coming up through the minors.

zbhargrove
05-12-2015, 12:29 PM
We can only hope. Prado is a hell of a player and on a controlled salary he had tremendous value.

I'm not saying he will be as good of an MLB player as Prado... I'm saying his minor league profile reminds me of Prado.

smootness
05-12-2015, 02:18 PM

The thing to remember is that Ruiz, though he has struggled so far in AA, hit better last year (at a younger age) in A+ than Peterson is currently.

And I don't say that to minimize Peterson. I say it just as a reminder not to be too down on Ruiz. Davidson could also make a jump at some point. We have several high-ceiling positional prospects right now - Albies, Peraza, Ruiz, Peterson, Davidson. You can throw Mallex Smith in there, too.