PDA

View Full Version : 5/12/15 MINOR LEAGUE FINAL: M-Braves sweep; Carolina game pppd. after wreck

rico43
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
CLASS A

Greensboro 2, Rome 1

SP: Furney 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K.
LP: Emmons (0-1) 2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.
Edgerton 3-4, 2B (.342); Curcio 1-4 (.348); Davidson 1-4, 2B, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina (19-12) @ Myrtle Beach, ppd.

CLASS AA

Game One
Mississippi 2, Mobile 1 (7)

WP: Jenkins (2-2) 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K. (CG)
Mx. Smith 2-3, HR (2nd), 2 RBI; Jenkins 1-2, R.

Game Two
Mississippi 2, Mobile 1

SP: Weber 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
WP: Reyes (4-1) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
Kelly (Save, 8) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Mx. Smith 1-4, R; Rohm 1-1, 2B.

CLASS AAA

Syracuse 5, Gwinnett 4

LP: Marimon (2-1) 4 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
My. Jones 2-4, 2B, HR (1st), 2 RBI; Peraza 1-4, R, SB; A. Garcia 2-3, R; Castro 0-5.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
At what point would we start seeing some promotions? Edgerton and Curcio seem like no brainers.

clvclv
05-12-2015, 02:51 PM
At what point would we start seeing some promotions? Edgerton and Curcio seem like no brainers.

Kinda have to figure the promotions will have to come from the top down so spots ahead of those getting them can be cleared. For instance, there's not really any room in Gwinnett for Mallex until they promote Cunningham or Perez or release Joe Benson or Mycal Jones - meaning there's not really any room in Mississippi for Lien or Peterson until they promote Mallex or cut Kang - meaning there's not really any room in Carolina for Curcio until they promote Lien or Peterson.

Hopefully we're getting closer to seeing EY's release which would clear the way for a Cunningham or Perez promotion to the big club - maybe that will get the dominoes to start falling. Calling Cunningham up first would still leave Fredi the option of having a platoon in both CF and LF if Cameron struggles and would serve as Todd's final "sink or swim" trial.

jimsnores
05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Any word on why Janas is on the DL?

thethe
05-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Jenkins with a CG (7IP) 0BB/4K game.

Guy has lighting in that arm.

smootness
05-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Jenkins with a CG (7IP) 0BB/4K game.

Guy has lighting in that arm.

And Mallex Smith went 2-3 with a HR that accounted for both runs. Now hitting .337/.369/.442. Awesome.

chop2chip
05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
And Mallex Smith went 2-3 with a HR that accounted for both runs. Now hitting .337/.369/.442. Awesome.

A lot of prospect analysis still don't buy the bat even though many of them say he could be a solid starting centerfielder. I'm curious what the swing is like.

Tapate50
05-12-2015, 08:06 PM
A lot of prospect analysis still don't buy the bat even though many of them say he could be a solid starting centerfielder. I'm curious what the swing is like.

Hasn't he hit pretty much everywhere?

thethe
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Before it was the Midwest league inflating his numbers. Let them discount him. I'll take a super fast guy that can get on base at the top of my order any day of the week.

smootness
05-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Yep. At some point, a guy just keeps performing while everyone says he won't. This was a huge year for him, making the jump to AA, and he's hit just like he has everywhere else. And given the BB rate before this year, you have to expect that to go up.

He just seems so much like Bourn to me. He was a guy who people kept saying wasn't a prospect, but he just kept hitting and became an All-Star. With that kind of speed, you just need to be able to put it into play with solid contact.

smootness
05-12-2015, 08:13 PM
You can find videos on milb.com. His swing is a little loose, but it seems fine to me.

Hudson2
05-12-2015, 08:48 PM
I like Mallex swing. I see him play alot for Mississippi. He's not one that will go into long slumps. He covers a ton of ground in CF to.

Braves1976
05-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I like Mallex swing. I see him play alot for Mississippi. He's not one that will go into long slumps. He covers a ton of ground in CF to.

Agreed. Smith also seems to be very good at bunting. He had a three hit game not long ago and all three bunt hits.

chop2chip
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
That's what the numbers suggest. I'm mostly just curious to what worries them about his contact skill. You would think at some point he would begin to struggle against better pitching.

chop2chip
05-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Agreed. Smith also seems to be very good at bunting. He had a three hit game not long ago and all three bunt hits.
That is two edged sword, though. One one hand it's great that he's getting a lot of bunt hits, but the worry may be that those types of hit will disappear at the major league level.

He seems like a solid prospect. If he can be a Jace Peterson quality player than I'll take that every day.

Hudson2
05-12-2015, 09:07 PM
I was there 76. He has the infielders all confused. Bc he slaps the ball like Furcal did. So playing him to bunt doesn't work. But if you play back he'll lay one down and he bunts it fair 9 times out of 10. And with his speed you can stick it in your pocket.

Braves1976
05-12-2015, 09:08 PM
That is two edged sword, though. One one hand it's great that he's getting a lot of bunt hits, but the worry may be that those types of hit will disappear at the major league level.

He seems like a solid prospect. If he can be a Jace Peterson quality player than I'll take that every day.

He also has shown ability to make solid contact usually when not bunting (including a few homers already). So I have liked the package he brings to the table, esp. his great speed once he gets on base. Keep in mind his stats could be even better minus playing a bit with a minor foot injury till recently. It gave him a limp and is also why he couldn't steal for a few weeks. Plus he looked good in the AFL and very good in Major League Spring Training too.

Hudson2
05-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Only flaw I've really seen with him is his arm but I'll take that everyday with the rest of his skill set.

Braves1976
05-12-2015, 09:12 PM
release Joe Benson or Mycal Jones -

Jones has done well since his return, so I wouldn't release him. I would trade Joe Benson though for cash considerations as he hasn't impressed me, he is a good athlete but makes too many mistakes trying to do too much IMO (both as far as base running and defense).

50PoundHead
05-12-2015, 09:14 PM
M-Braves sweep a pair of 2-1 games.

Braves1976
05-12-2015, 09:17 PM
BTW, good to see my boy Jordan Edgerton still doing well. I liked that draft pick and expect him to be a good one. I am hopeful he'll show more power in the future.

Hudson2
05-12-2015, 09:30 PM
It's good to have so much to look forward to in the minor league threads again. I have a feeling after the draft we'll have alot more to.

MadduxFanII
05-12-2015, 09:35 PM
You keep knocking some extra base hits and drawing walks, Braxton.

Braves1976
05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
BTW, I have been watching both Jose Briceno and Chris O'Dowd. The two catchers we got in the David Hale trade. My take so far is I like Briceno's catching skills, he's thrown out runners well so far at 44% and he visits the mound to settle his pitcher down at good times, etc. He is only hitting .182 so far but I expect his bat to improve. I also see power potential with his swing too. My view of Chris O'Dowd is that he is a real work in progress as far as being a catcher. I haven't liked what I've seen from him catching much at all and believe that his poor catching skills have probably made outings by Hursh, Jenkins and others for Mississippi look worse. However, Chris has really hit so far and has well above average speed for a catcher, and I think he stole 23 bases last year IIRC. So my overall take on him is I like his bat so far and speed but not his catching skills. Maybe he'll improve though, time will tell.

thethe
05-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Mark (Charlotte) [via mobile]

I know Dustin Peterson is off to a hot start. Is he a legitimate prospect going forward?
Klaw (1:20 PM)

Yes, actually liked him a bit more than DJ in their draft year because I thought Dustin had a chance to be a better hitter. SSS still absolutely applies, but he did change his approach this offseason/spring.

50PoundHead
05-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Mark (Charlotte) [via mobile]

I know Dustin Peterson is off to a hot start. Is he a legitimate prospect going forward?
Klaw (1:20 PM)

Yes, actually liked him a bit more than DJ in their draft year because I thought Dustin had a chance to be a better hitter. SSS still absolutely applies, but he did change his approach this offseason/spring.

Which is why I think he should stay in Carolina unless he starts hitting .400. No need to rush him.

thethe
05-13-2015, 04:12 PM
[/B]

Which is why I think he should stay in Carolina unless he starts hitting .400. No need to rush him.

I wasn't even aware of this. That makes him even more of an interesting prospect.

Deester11
05-13-2015, 05:05 PM
I wasn't even aware of this. That makes him even more of an interesting prospect. Thethe...He's interesting to me for sure. He was moved due to the presence of Rio Ruiz...but this kid put it together and he'll be just as much a legit prospect as his brother. I've liked him since we picked him up. But he's definitely been overshadowed. I'm hoping he continues to rake. Here's a few things that were written about him...around the draft:

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: He has a short, compact swing and a ton of bat speed. The ball jumps off his bat, and he has the chance to hit for both average and plenty of power."
Keith Law, ESPN: "Peterson, may be the best draft prospect in his family this year, as he has a looser, leaner body than D.J. does and could potentially stay in the middle infield, albeit at second base rather than at short."
Baseball America: "Dustin is more advanced than D.J. was at the same age. He has lightning quick hands and shows a sweet swing with the ability to create loft and backspin."

CJ9
05-13-2015, 05:22 PM
What exactly did he change his approach to? Is Law saying he's just being more patient now?