PDA

View Full Version : Braves To Discuss Stults' Future In Rotation

CrimsonCowboy
05-14-2015, 12:28 AM
http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/124294728/braves-to-discuss-pitcher-eric-stults-future-in-rotation

nsacpi
05-14-2015, 07:05 AM
I would like to see Cahill given another shot.

thethe
05-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Gave up on him way too quickly. I agree 100% with you.

smootness
05-14-2015, 10:03 AM

No, thanks. I would much rather see us give Wisler or Banuelos a shot. The beginning of this year was Cahill's 'one more shot,' and he was awful.

Tapate50
05-14-2015, 10:05 AM
No, thanks. I would much rather see us give Wisler or Banuelos a shot. The beginning of this year was Cahill's 'one more shot,' and he was awful.

ManBan is on a innings limit and doing well at AAA. I'd rather have him do that program there than up with the bigs.

Hawk
05-14-2015, 10:17 AM
ManBan is on a innings limit and doing well at AAA. I'd rather have him do that program there than up with the bigs.

Agreed. Now Wisler I wouldn't be as opposed to bringing up.

I think the team should try, if possible, to take one more shot on a reclamation-type project though. The SP market league wide is starting to shape up pretty robustly and it would be awesome if the Braves had a chip or two to cash in around the deadline.

yeezus
05-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Gave up on him way too quickly. I agree 100% with you.

thought he was being facetious.

Hawk
05-14-2015, 10:44 AM
thought he was being facetious.

I did too, but you can never quite tell with nscapi.

clvclv
05-14-2015, 10:51 AM
While I think everyone agrees that Cahill was awful, IMO he's the likeliest replacement until after the break IF they're not going to give Wisler a shot. All three are likely to struggle, and since we've got $6 million already invested in him he's the most likely reclamation project to try to get something for (rather than trying to find another one from outside the organization).

Just personally feel that they don't want the kids on the shuttle between Atlanta and Gwinnett if they can possibly help it - once they're up, they're up for good unless they're so bad they HAVE to be sent back down. I think Folty's here to stay at this point unless he completely implodes, and that they think he'll be good enough to keep from getting killed (often, anyway) that he'll benefit much more from working with Roger on adjustments at this point. I think we'll see at least one - if not both - of the other kids at some point, but they've been pretty inconsistent thus far and neither have been getting deep enough into games to make you feel like they could get through an MLB lineup twice just yet. Once they string together 3 or 4 good starts where they get at least 7 innings deep I think at least one will be up. If both do that by the break, you're in a position where you could cut ties with Stults and if some miracle happens you could get something for Cahill if he puts 3-4 decent starts together.

sturg33
05-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm confused. We only cared about Stults' ability to eat innings... What's the issue here?

clvclv
05-14-2015, 11:00 AM
The good thing about the situation (as the article mentions) is that the decision doesn't have to be hurried - with the 2 off days they can skip that spot this time around. If Wisler tosses another gem tomorrow, that could force their hand a bit.

Deester11
05-14-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm confused. We only cared about Stults' ability to eat innings... What's the issue here?
The issue? He's not eating innings. LOL

dak
05-14-2015, 11:09 AM
The Super Two cutoff over the past six year has ranged from 2.122 to 2.146. If we put those numbers against this year's calendar that date range would be May 12th - June 5th. In other words, if a players comes up on June 6th and is never optioned down again in the next 3 years, they would miss the Super Two cutoff by one day if recent trends hold. If they come up any sooner than that, we are knowingly risking an extra year of arbitration. Sure we could get lucky and have the Super Two range hit on the high end, but I don't think the reward is worth the risk this season.

With that being said, I'm really hoping we stick with Stults (or reasonable facsimile) for the next few weeks. Next best option would be to transition Williams Perez into that rotation spot. Anything that keeps Wisler and ManBan in Gwinnett works for me.

gilesfan
05-14-2015, 11:14 AM
The issue? He's not eating innings. LOL

That's the issue, Stults can eat innings, but they are going to be terrible innings. He's simply awful.

MadduxFanII
05-14-2015, 11:15 AM
I'd like to see us stretch out Martin and give him a chance at a starting gig.

Deester11
05-14-2015, 11:23 AM
That's the issue, Stults can eat innings, but they are going to be terrible innings. He's simply awful. That's funny, sad and true!

Braves1976
05-14-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't think Wisler is ready while Man-Ban is on an innings limit. But regardless I'd not start the clock on either at this point.

gilesfan
05-14-2015, 11:29 AM

It would make sense. Either that or keep him in the pen and let Fredi rip his arm off

clvclv
05-14-2015, 11:37 AM
The Super Two cutoff over the past six year has ranged from 2.122 to 2.146. If we put those numbers against this year's calendar that date range would be May 12th - June 5th. In other words, if a players comes up on June 6th and is never optioned down again in the next 3 years, they would miss the Super Two cutoff by one day if recent trends hold. If they come up any sooner than that, we are knowingly risking an extra year of arbitration. Sure we could get lucky and have the Super Two range hit on the high end, but I don't think the reward is worth the risk this season.

With that being said, I'm really hoping we stick with Stults (or reasonable facsimile) for the next few weeks. Next best option would be to transition Williams Perez into that rotation spot. Anything that keeps Wisler and ManBan in Gwinnett works for me.

Not really - you could always tweak their service time a bit during the break. Sending them down to get a couple short starts (4-5 IP to stay sharp) while skipping that slot in the rotation the first time through and shuffling the rotation after the break to make sure it comes up fifth would buy you a couple of weeks.

Assuming they skip Stults' next turn, that spot in the rotation won't need a starter until May 24th against the Brewers.

chop2chip
05-14-2015, 11:39 AM

That's not a bad idea. Amongst all this hustle bustle I can't believe that didn't come to my mind.

However, I'm sure the Braves keep him in the pen. That backend of it is such a wasteland of atrocity that I think they are afraid to take him out of it.

Dalyn
05-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Definitely want to see Martin get a chance at the rotation. That's the best option.

MadduxFanII
05-14-2015, 11:59 AM
However, I'm sure the Braves keep him in the pen. That backend of it is such a wasteland of atrocity that I think they are afraid to take him out of it.

Eh. If the front office is unwilling to lose games as a result of bad relief work then they made a really odd series of trades in the off-season.

clvclv
05-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Not sure the pen could survive ten days without Martin if they sent him down to stretch out as much as possible before the 24th AND every starter suddenly started going at least 7 deep.

If they sent him down, Johnson and Grilli might not have right arms when he gets back.

yeezus
05-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Eh. If the front office is unwilling to lose games as a result of bad relief work then they made a really odd series of trades in the off-season.

I think those trades were more about getting really good value for RPs than "willing to lose games as a result of bad relief work."

MadduxFanII
05-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Not sure the pen could survive ten days without Martin if they sent him down to stretch out as much as possible before the 24th AND every starter suddenly started going at least 7 deep.

If they sent him down, Johnson and Grilli might not have right arms when he gets back.

I'm really OK with all that.

TDlxANDER
05-14-2015, 02:21 PM

:FrediWut:

The Chosen One
05-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Cody is the new David Hale. use him wherever

Hawk
05-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Cody is the new David Hale. use him wherever

And then we can inexplicably trade him for a former GM's son. Milwaukee may be a match.

chop2chip
05-14-2015, 03:44 PM
And then we can inexplicably trade him for a former GM's son. Milwaukee may be a match.

Yeah but Chris O'Dowd is Mike Piazza, so it's all good.

Also, I never liked Hale. Call me weird, but I didn't think he had much of a future outside of being a fringe major leaguer.