4. Marcell Ozuna (R) CF
5. Christian Yelich (L) LF
6. Michael Morse (R) 1B
7. Adeiny Hechavarria (R) SS
8. Jhonatan Solano (R) C
9. Henderson Alvarez (R) P

Garmel
05-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Looks like Simmons is getting his first day off.

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Looks like Simmons is getting his first day off.

Probably necessary, but it's scary to see that happen on the day that our heavy ground ball pitcher is on the mound.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Probably necessary, but it's scary to see that happen on the day that our heavy ground ball pitcher is on the mound.

We are off on Monday also but a little scary for sure.

nsacpi
05-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Expecting a huge game from ciriaco

CyYoung31
05-17-2015, 12:28 PM
How come when I see Ciriaco, I want to pronounce it Sriracha?

Heyward
05-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Crazy how this years offense is better than last years jugular.

50PoundHead
05-17-2015, 12:38 PM

We're nearing the quarter season mark, so it's still early, but they do seem to play within themselves quite well. They seem to be playing "smarter" this year, but that may not be the case.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Braves seeing some real extension with the bats this morning. I thought Wood pitched yesterday?

thewupk
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM

contact!

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Damn.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
contact!

Need some power bats but there's some pieces in place on the current offense going forward.

Jace, Simba, Nick, and Freeman.

Need a power bat to supplement it depending on if Mallex Smith is legit for CF or not.

thethe
05-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Is it fair to say the offense this year is better than last years?.

thewupk
05-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Is it fair to say the offense this year is better than last years?.

results thus far say it is

thethe
05-17-2015, 12:48 PM
results thus far say it is

I think the eye test tells us the same.

Still early but its pretty funny that all the talk we heard in the offseason is how epically bad the offense would be. Still much work left to be done but I would say the rebuild is going very well so far.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 12:48 PM
In spite of our middling record and this team's glaring weaknesses--the back end of the starting rotation, the bullpen, and a lack of power--this can really be a fun team to watch when the bats are going well.

thethe
05-17-2015, 12:50 PM
In spite of our middling record and this team's glaring weaknesses--the back end of the starting rotation, the bullpen, and an lack of power--this can really be a fun team to watch when the bats are going well.

Certainly fun to watch.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 12:53 PM
AJ threw behind his kid while tossing BP.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 12:56 PM
AJ threw behind his kid while tossing BP.

To be fair, his son looked pretty drunk too.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't think it's conclusive enough to overturn so Fredito wastes another challenge.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 12:57 PM
I unjustifiably feel like somehow Simmons gets Alvarez on that play.

thewupk
05-17-2015, 12:57 PM
I think the eye test tells us the same.

Still early but its pretty funny that all the talk we heard in the offseason is how epically bad the offense would be. Still much work left to be done but I would say the rebuild is going very well so far.

As others have said. The offense being as good as it is is because of surpisingly good seasons so far by players that are just stopgaps. So the rebuild being good remains to be seen imo.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't think it's conclusive enough to overturn so Fredito wastes another challenge.

He's very good.

thethe
05-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Shelby Miller is kind of awesome.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 01:00 PM
To be fair, his son looked pretty drunk too.

I'm sure the kid broke an unwritten rule of father-son soft-toss.

Garmel
I think we might have gotten a break with that call. I don't see how that was conclusive enough to overturn.

UNCBlue012
Beautiful!

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 01:01 PM
I love how Fredi gets the blame for replay challenges when it's not even really his decision to challenge. I mean it is, but it's HoRam that's the one telling him when to challenge.

Y'all are just a prickly bunch at times.

USMA76
He's very good.

Color me surprised but I'll take it. :elefant:

thethe
As others have said. The offense being as good as it is is because of surpisingly good seasons so far by players that are just stopgaps. So the rebuild being good remains to be seen imo.

But Jace and Shelby are part of that rebuild right? Folty who has looked promising is prat of that rebuild right? Those are only some of the pieces. Not all of them rae going to succeed but already it seems like 3 parts will be part of hte future. You have to admit that it looks good right now.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:02 PM

:FrediWut:

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:04 PM

Eh, guys like Shelby, Folty, Jace, along with some others have been impressive who were acquired in the trades.

Some are stop-gaps, yes, but they'll have money to spend this winter and we'll see what happens with that.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:04 PM

That's part of it, sure. But that happens to like every successful team. You need contributions from guys you don't expect to heavily contribute. Simmons has improved a ton. Peterson has been playing extremely well. Freddie is Freddie. Maybin replaced BJ and has been a big improvement. Markakis has been pretty good. The pitching, IMO, is only going to get better moving forward, but I think the offense could easily keep this pace.

UNCBlue012
05-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Jace Peterson is the man.

USMA76
So much for Simmons' day off. Hope Gosselin is okay.

yeezus
Jace Peterson is the man.

Yet another good AB. Make him throw you strikes. Good stuff.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
I just find it frustrating how quick everyone was calling for the front offices neck in the offseason. At that point it wasn't too quick to decide but now its too quick. There is just no accountability for all the filth that was posted in the offseason and it bothers me. I don't know why it does and it shouldn't. I can't help it so I'm sorry for sounded like a dbag.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Yet another good AB. Make him throw you strikes. Good stuff.

By himself, Peterson will be more valueable than 1 year of Upton. Its getting to the point where he might even be more valueable this year if you are buying into defensive stats.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Gosselin got hurt on the dive huh?

jpx7
05-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Shelby Miller is kind of awesome.

He's looked much better than I expected, and better than he ever looked when I watched him pitch for St Louis.

Still not sure he's a long-term top-of-the-rotation guy, but if he can stay somewhere near the level he's demonstrated in 2015, he could really anchor the rotation's middle.

Garmel
05-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Gosselin got hurt on the dive huh?

That replay didn't look good the way his wrist twisted.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:11 PM
He's looked much better than I expected, and better than he ever looked when I watched him pitch for St Louis.

I wonder if he looked this good in September of last year.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
These guys keep on hitting it on the ground against Miller. Loving that...low pitch counts and deeper outings. He still has the ability to blow that 4 seamer past you as well. 97 MPH+

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Shelby Miller just blew away one of the top 10 hitters in baseball like he was a minor leaguer.

Got this guy for 1 year of a good player? WOW!

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Damn, Miller is pumping them in there. All 97s to K Giancarlo. FIRE.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:14 PM
39 pitches thru 4. His efficiency has been amazing.

jpx7
Speaking of Miller: impressive sequence against Stanton. I had to rewind and watch it a second time.

chop2chip
I wonder if he looked this good in September of last year.

He's a different pitcher than last September. He never threw his cutter then as much as he does now. It's been his best pitch this year per Fangraphs.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:15 PM
If he can work 95 all game, we've got an elite TOR guy.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:15 PM
I just find it frustrating how quick everyone was calling for the front offices neck in the offseason. At that point it wasn't too quick to decide but now its too quick. There is just no accountability for all the filth that was posted in the offseason and it bothers me. I don't know why it does and it shouldn't. I can't help it so I'm sorry for sounded like a dbag.

It's the age old question that always divides a fan base--do you try to revive a failing product or do you tear it apart and (almost completely) start over? If the answer is the latter, then what pieces do you keep and which do you discard? We Braves fans have been pretty spoiled by having a team that's routinely competitive during the regular season.

IMO September 2014 was a watershed concerning the future viability of that team and decisions had to be made. I may be in the minority on this board but I think team management saw the writing on the wall and did what had to be done. That said, it sucks because we put a lot of emotional, and often financial, capital in the team and nobody likes to be told their team is "throwing in the towel" on a particular season.

So far, it's way to early to say whether management's decision was a good one or not.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:16 PM
He's a different pitcher than last September. He never threw his cutter then as much as he does now. It's been his best pitch this year per Fangraphs.

Having another great pitch makes everything else tougher to hit because the hitter has to think about something else.

Its so early but man Miller looks like he could be a TOR ace.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:17 PM

You arent wrong.

Alot of people are still mad they traded Heyward, and i still firmly believe this is why they wont give the FO credit for some of the moves that have worked out.

I wont name, names.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:17 PM
It's the age old question that always divides a fan base--do you try to revive a failing product or do you tear it apart and (almost completely) start over? If the answer is the latter, then what pieces do you keep and which do you discard? We Braves fans have been pretty spoiled by having a team that's routinely competitive during the regular season.

IMO September 2014 was a watershed concerning the future viability of that team and decisions had to be made. I may be in the minority on this board but I think team management saw the writing on the wall and did what had to be done. That said, it sucks because we put a lot of emotional, and often financial, capital in the team and nobody likes to be told their team is "throwing in the towel" on a particular season.

So far, it's way to early to say whether management's decision was a good one or not.

I get your post but I just disagree with the final point. I think the future of the team we had was pretty clear.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Can we DFA EYJ already?

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I get your post but I just disagree with the final point. I think the future of the team we had was pretty clear.

Imagine if we didn't get Miller for Heyward, Heyward had another just good season and left, and we didn't have Miller.
It's scary.

UNCBlue012
05-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Another hit...

jpx7
Cunningham going HAM. So glad they finally brought the kid back up.

Heyward
Early but if Miller can keep it up, i'm not against extending him this winter and buying out a few FA years.

Provided both sides want to do so.

thewupk
But Jace and Shelby are part of that rebuild right? Folty who has looked promising is prat of that rebuild right? Those are only some of the pieces. Not all of them rae going to succeed but already it seems like 3 parts will be part of hte future. You have to admit that it looks good right now.

They are. Only Jace is apart of the offense though.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Imagine if we didn't get Miller for Heyward, Heyward had another just good season and left, and we didn't have Miller.
It's scary.

I don't even want to think about it.

USMA76

I agree with you in that last year's team needed to be blown up (not everyone thinks so; I was trying to be diplomatic). My last point is that we're still only a quarter of the way through the season and there's nothing to say that we couldn't duplicate our collapse of last year. Hope not but there are no guarantees.

Heyward
It's scary.

Sad thing is alot of people wanted to go for it one last time, most likely only a WC team given the lack of money to spend, among other things.

He's looked impressive though for damn sure.

Roger works his magic.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM

Technically Nick is as well

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM

I was talking about the rebuild primarily.

Maybin is part of that rebuild as well.

Getting Setizer was part of the rebuild as well (move by management) and Simmons performing better could be correlated to that hiring. Markakis instilling a professionalism at the plate (sure some will laugh..).

There are a lot of things working right now and its fun to watch.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:22 PM
I agree with you in that last year's team needed to be blown up (not everyone thinks so; I was trying to be diplomatic). My last point is that we're still only a quarter of the way through the season and there's nothing to say that we couldn't duplicate our collapse of last year. Hope not but there are no guarantees.

As long as there are good signs of young players (Wood, Julio, Miller, Folty, eventually Wisler if he comes up)

Guys like Jace, maybe Peraza if he comes up.

I dont think anyone on here would be too mad if we had a collapse and got a top 10 pick.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:22 PM

There won't be a collapse this year because we won't be in a playoff race. Team is still going to win anywhere from 72-78 games. I've accepted that this year will not result in the playoffs but have hope for some special years afterwards.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Sad thing is alot of people wanted to go for it one last time, most likely only a WC team given the lack of money to spend, among other things.

He's looked impressive though for damn sure.

Roger works his magic.

We would not have had the pitching to go for it. I think it pretty clearly would have ended poorly and the FO made the correct, albeit difficult, call.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:23 PM
There won't be a collapse this year because we won't be in a playoff race. Team is still going to win anywhere from 72-78 games. I've accepted that this year will not result in the playoffs but have hope for some special years afterwards.

We just want progress from our young guys. Progress from Simmons, Peterson, Wood, Teheran, all of our prospects. And so far mostly all of it is going well.

Garmel
05-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Just a left thumb sprain for Goose. Glad to hear it because it could have been a lot worse.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Filthy sequence to Ozuna.

yeezus
SHELBY MILLER RN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo97R0ib1CE

chopdrew
Shelby Miller might be giving the bullpen an extra day off...

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:26 PM
We would not have had the pitching to go for it. I think it pretty clearly would have ended poorly and the FO made the correct, albeit difficult, call.

Yep, if we went for it, the rotation would probably be something like Julio, Wood, Martin, Hale, Stults/Cahill.

With Minor out for the year.

:facepalm:

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Filthy sequence to Ozuna.

Even better to Moorse.

Guy is a stud.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:27 PM
WOW.
Just rolling thru the game.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Therein lies the problem; I don't think everyone was willing to concede and that's why all the angst when we got rid of JUp, Bear, and Heyward.

That said, I agree with you. Frank Wren's monster needed a serious overhaul and if that means a mediocre season or two, so be it. I think the early returns have been more positive than negative. I also understand that others may disagree.

Garmel
05-17-2015, 01:29 PM
When you have a guy throwing 96-97 MPH and hitting corners it's going to be a long day for the opposing batters.

yeezus
05-17-2015, 01:30 PM
When you have a guy throwing 96-97 MPH and hitting corners it's going to be a long day for the opposing batters.

Actually, it ends up being a really, really quick day for opposing batters.
They get up, and they sit right down.

thethe
Maybin is part of the rebuild. How was he a throw in?

Julio3000
Maybin has been barreling a lot of pitches.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Here's a good read on Miller:

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/05/12/pitcher-report-shelby-miller-atlanta-braves-st-louis-cardinals

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Maybin has been barreling a lot of pitches.

The article I posted about the velocity he is hitting the balls certainly shows up when you watch the games. Guy just squares it up well.

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 01:34 PM
The article I posted about the velocity he is hitting the balls certainly shows up when you watch the games. Guy just squares it up well.
He also has hit a ton of balls hard on line to the RF that have been caught all year. He strikes out more than you would like to see, but he walks, runs well, and historically plays excellent defense. I love having Maybin on the team.

Julio3000
Maybin is part of the rebuild. How was he a throw in?

We took Maybin to balance the dollars in the Kimbrel deal. He had been DFA'd by the Padres.

Dude, come on...and this is from a guy who wanted to get Maybin when they DFAd him.

thethe
He also has hit a ton of balls hard on line to the RF that have been caught all year. He strikes out more than you would like to see, but he walks, runs well, and historically plays excellent defense. I love having Maybin on the team.

He is essentially what we thought BJ would be. At least what I thought he would be.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:35 PM
We took Maybin to balance the dollars in the Kimbrel deal. He had been DFA'd by the Padres.

Dude, come on...and this is from a guy who wanted to get Maybin when they DFAd him.

Do you not think he is part of the future at this time? Guy is still super young and has always had tremendous abiliyt.

nsacpi
05-17-2015, 01:36 PM
A big part of the offense doing better is Freeman and Simmons rebounding. CJ too before he got hurt. And some addition through subtraction in center. All things that could be foreseen as likely this past offseason.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:38 PM

+1 on everything but the "excellent defense" part. He's looked too shaky in CF for my liking. IIRC he's had a couple of game-changing misplays in the outfield. He's a solid athlete so hopefully the defensive part of his game will continue to improve.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:40 PM
A big part of the offense doing better is Freeman and Simmons rebounding. CJ too before he got hurt. And some addition through subtraction in center. All things that could be foreseen as likely this past offseason.

That plays a role but so does Nicks 400+ OBP and Jace Peterson being a tough out. Likewise with guys like Maybin/KJ/AJ/etc...

This is not what hte offense would have looked like had we kept all the guys from last year.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Even before Shelby Miller's no-hitter-in-progress, Atlanta looked like it won the Jason Heyward deal. Tyrell Jenkins solid at Double-A, too.

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 01:41 PM
+1 on everything but the "excellent defense" part. He's looked too shaky in CF for my liking. IIRC he's had a couple of game-changing misplays in the outfield. He's a solid athlete so hopefully the defensive part of his game will continue to improve.You missed the part in your quote that includes "historically". I agree that he's been mediocre so far.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:43 PM
You missed the part in your quote that includes "historically". I agree that he's been mediocre so far.

You're right in that he came in with a better defensive reputation than what we've seen so far.

jpx7
Do you not think he is part of the future at this time? Guy is still super young and has always had tremendous abiliyt.

He's shown real reasons to believe he could be—but there are also real reasons he hasn't stuck with a couple teams heretofore, despite his age, athleticism, and a need in CF for those teams. I think it's too early to tell what Maybin will mean long-term for the Braves, though any amount of mattering will make the Kimbrel trade appear even better.

Julio3000

Oh, I think he could be. I've been as big a proponent of him as anyone here, if not the biggest. My point was that I don't think that he was targeted by the Braves in any meaningful way. He wasn't precisely a throw-in—taking him was probably conditional to SD's making the deal. So if he ends up as a contributor, awesome—but its more good fortune than perspicacity.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Shelby Miller doesn't give a fuhhh....He will go RIGHT after you.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Sure is nice to have a laugher of a game so far (thanks, Shelby) so we can debate world peace, the Braves future, etc.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:46 PM
He's shown real reasons to believe he could be—but there are also real reasons he hasn't stuck with a couple teams heretofore, despite his age, athleticism, and a need in CF for those teams. I think it's too early to tell what Maybin will mean long-term for the Braves, though any amount of mattering will make the Kimbrel trade appear even better.

Yeah, there could be issues behind the scenes and somehting we would never know as fans.

I think his abilit to stay healthy has been an issue and hopefully one that is behind him.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Shelby Miller doesn't give a fuhhh....He will go RIGHT after you.

Dude is an assassin out there right now. His pace and focus and body language. . . everything. I hope Folty is taking notes.

jpx7
Justin Boar reminds me of the St Paul Saints' porcine mascot of a few years ago, Justin Bieboar.

Edit: Any idea, 50PoundHead, if the Saints are still trotting that set of trotters out there? Been a few years since I've caught a game in St Paul.

thethe
Oh, I think he could be. I've been as big a proponent of him as anyone here, if not the biggest. My point was that I don't think that he was targeted by the Braves in any meaningful way. He wasn't precisely a throw-in—taking him was probably conditional to SD's making the deal. So if he ends up as a contributor, awesome—but its more good fortune than perspicacity.

I can't just pick and choose players in a deal that I give the front office credit for. They get the blame for every player that fails and credit for the ones that succeed.

thethe
Dude is an assassin out there right now. His pace and focus and body language. . . everything. I hope Folty is taking notes.

If Folty did this he would be just as effective with his stuff.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 01:48 PM
I think Maybin is a stop-gap.

Think Hart signs a FA outfielder, and trades Wood in a big package deal for another.

keithlaw
05-17-2015, 01:48 PM
2 Maddux's in 3 starts would be pretty sweet.

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 01:54 PM
If Folty did this he would be just as effective with his stuff.
If/when Folty learns to throw strikes like Miller, then he can get to this point. I've been super impressed with Folty so far.

thethe
05-17-2015, 01:57 PM
If/when Folty learns to throw strikes like Miller, then he can get to this point. I've been super impressed with Folty so far.

Just has to get over early game jitters.

Hawk
05-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Hahahahahahaha.

The Chosen One
Wow.

jpx7
I thought that was absolutely gone off the bat.

yeezus
SORRY STANTON

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Glad we play in this ballpark today hahaha

USMA76
05-17-2015, 01:59 PM

You're really going to be impressed with him when he develops greater command and a quality secondary pitch. I'm optimistic that both will happen and fairly soon.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow.

(I continue to be amused by Hands Down! Don't Trade!.)

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 02:01 PM

Maybe so, but it didn't stop 3/4 of this board predicting that our offense would be last ranked offense by a country mile.

Hudson2
05-17-2015, 02:02 PM
I agree. Not sure who. Maybe Braun or Marte (if they were willing to trade him)

I think Maybin is a stop-gap.

Think Hart signs a FA outfielder, and trades Wood in a big package deal for another.

chop2chip
We are at the point where Shelby throwing a Maddux would be a disappointment.

66.7 GB% today. The guy is on today.

USMA76
Does Todd Cunningham make Kelly Johnson this franchise's Wally Pipp? Dude looks awesome at everything.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Maybe so, but it didn't stop 3/4 of this board predicting that our offense would be last ranked offense by a country mile.

Still time. :Bowman:

By the way: is a "country mile" something like a "city block"? Asking for a friend.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Does Todd Cunningham make Kelly Johnson this franchise's Wally Pipp? Dude looks awesome at everything.

Based on where they can play, and how they've played thus far, I think Callaspo has more reason to worry than Kelly Johnson.

Hawk
05-17-2015, 02:09 PM
****ing hell. My innards.

thethe
ANDRELTON SIMMONS!!!

bravesnumberone
GREAT PLAY SIMBA

dak
05-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Nice choice by Ciriaco to let the SS field that one.

thethe

And those same posters will never EVER admit they were wrong. Heck, some of them don't even post that much anymore. What a conincidence.

jpx7
****ing hell. My innards.

The defense is certainly earning its keep today.

The Chosen One
It's so weird to be on the other side of something like this. You know, sweeping the other team and not getting swept. :icwudt:

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Glad Simmons is in there. If I were Fredi I'd have been tempted to put him in anyway.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Based on where they can play, and how they've played thus far, I think Callaspo has more reason to worry than Kelly Johnson.

Based on the way Callaspo is going, he has reason to worry whether Cunningham does well or not. 8^)

Dalyn
05-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Fredi will probably go to Grilli in the 9th to nail this one down. :FrediPuzzled:

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Glad Fredi let Miller hit there. I was holding my breath.

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Glad Fredi let Miller hit there.

I'm not sure it was the right move.

Julio3000
80 pitches through 8. Mother****er.

The Chosen One
That guy Peterson sure can hit.

50PoundHead
What happened to Gosselin? I got an alert on my phone--something about day-to-day--but I didn't get the rest of the message.

thewupk
It's so weird to be on the other side of something like this. You know, sweeping the other team and not getting swept. :icwudt:

i see what you did there

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:14 PM
What happened to Gosselin? I got an alert on my phone--something about day-to-day--but I didn't get the rest of the message.

Made a diving catch and his glove hand buckled under his body. Saying its a sprained thumb.

Dalyn
That guy Peterson sure can hit.

Glad Hart stepped in and got him back in the lineup.

thewupk
Peterson Power

Julio3000

Sprained thumb while making a terrific play at 3rd.

Hudson2
Miller is a beast. We won the Heyward trade hands down. Whether you're a Heyward homer or not.

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Can't believe he even had to. What an awful manager.

thewupk
05-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Dee Gordon can play some second.

Heyward
GREAT PLAY SIMBA

ANd some people want to trade him, smh.

Dalyn
Where's Mercker when you need him.

dak
Shelby Miller now leads all MLB SP this year by a mile with a 0.175 BABIP against. Next closest guy is Francisco Liriano at 0.215. That is one hell of a low number.

The Chosen One
i see what you did there

You didn't see anything. It was already eaten. :Bowman:

thewupk
Miller needs a haircut

Julio3000
Just make an out and get the ol' hoss back out there.

Yes, I turn into Joe Simpson in moments of extreme drama.

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Where did this happen?

Dalyn
05-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Where did this happen?

Probably at a fancy restaurant where Fredi wouldn't cause a scene.

thewupk
05-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Just make an out and get the ol' hoss back out there.

Yes, I turn into Joe Simpson in moments of extreme drama.

Freeman agrees with you. Awful swings.

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 02:19 PM
I will eat my crow on the Heyward trade RIGHT here if Shelby finishes this Complete Game Shut-Out.

I still love and miss Heyward though. :HeywardWut:

keithlaw
Probably at a fancy restaurant where Fredi wouldn't cause a scene.

He had the Honey Baked Ham cashier tell him.

jpx7

Can't believe he even had to. What an awful manager.

To defend Fredi—for the one and only time—it probably doesn't help that the Front Office put him in a position where he might be managing for his job, when he's job should really be managing for results a couple seasons down the road.

Heyward
Scott Braun trying to jinx Miller

Dalyn
05-17-2015, 02:20 PM
The Atlanta Braves Facebook page just **** all over this one.

bravesnumberone
05-17-2015, 02:21 PM
The Atlanta Braves Facebook page just **** all over this one.

As did ESPN

UNCBlue012
COME ON MILLER

Dalyn
He had the Honey Baked Ham cashier tell him.

:happy0157:

Julio3000
What the ****, I can't even deal right now.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 02:22 PM
AJ says **** your defensive metrics .

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 02:23 PM
this is insane...

keithlaw
lol

The Chosen One
WELL DAMN.

thethe
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Heyward
Gay

UNCBlue012
NOOOOOO

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 02:24 PM
**** a monkey

UNCBlue012
STUPID FAT LOOKING DOUCHE BAG, BOUR

yeezus
are you ****ing kidding me...
justin ****ing bour?
of course.

Krovahn
Damn...

The Chosen One
TRADE HIM NOW WHILE HIS TRADE VALUE IS HIGH.

Tapate50
There is no God

thewupk
Gay

yup

Dalyn
05-17-2015, 02:25 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/6057fd8655cba0a4893a3f799511e599/tumblr_mge69sZS8O1s2gg27o1_400.gif

Tapate50
TRADE HIM NOW WHILE HIS TRADE VALUE IS HIGH.

This is so great

TDlxANDER
He got Yu'd

Julio3000
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/sheeeit_zpsc5254d10.jpg

sentenza
I hate Jason Bour.

bravesnumberone
**** THE GODDAMN MARLINS

keithlaw
05-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Well at least he got the Maddux

TDlxANDER
Great, now they're gonna lose

jpx7
The fat kid spoiled the party.

I blame myself for the Justin Bieboar reference.

Krovahn
Hell of a game from Miller. What a performance.

TURBO
http://media1.giphy.com/media/4wMlW2RcOCVCU/giphy.gif

jsebe10
Fckn fat sht!! Ear hole that fat fck next time we play them.

UNCBlue012
FREAKING ACE THOUGH

dak
05-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Outstanding game by Miller. Great to get the sweep going into the off day!

Heyward
That one stings.

Broken up by some scrub.

Julio3000
Miller is kinda good.

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 02:28 PM
FREAKING ACE THOUGH

Lot of folks need to start reconsidering their take on that Heyward deal... Guy has stepped up his game here.

UNCBlue012
@RealCJ10: Well Braves fans, u have ur top of the rotation, ACE! And Shelby Miller is only half of the return that u got for Heyward. Congrats Shelby!

The Chosen One
Braves fans can't have nice things like that. The Baseball gods enjoy seeing us suffer though by letting it happen to us.

thethe
@RealCJ10: Well Braves fans, u have ur top of the rotation, ACE! And Shelby Miller is only half of the return that u got for Heyward. Congrats Shelby!

Jenkins has crazy stuff as well. I think its going to translate to more missed bats as he learns.

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Lot of folks need to start reconsidering their take on that Heyward deal... Guy has stepped up his game here.

It won't happen. We should just bring back the Heyward trade thread and see all the ridiculousness that was in there.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Braves fans can't have nice things like that. The Baseball gods enjoy seeing us suffer though by letting it happen to us.

This is true.

Kinda figured it would be broken up like that.

holden
05-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Shelby Miller now leads all MLB SP this year by a mile with a 0.175 BABIP against. Next closest guy is Francisco Liriano at 0.215. That is one hell of a low number.

It is.

Also not sustainable.

(ducking)

Heyward
It won't happen. We should just bring back the Heyward trade thread and see all the ridiculousness that was in there.

Can i bump it?

The Chosen One
Considering the fact he didn't get the no hitter, I will NOT be re-considering my opinion that we shouldn't have traded Heyward.

I will acknowledge that trading for Shelby was the correct move. It should've been done for Jordan Walden straight up. :FrediWut:

jsebe10

Please do.

Looks like we've redeemed ourselves from that Wainright mistake.

Heyward
It is.

Also not sustainable.

(ducking)

Obviously he's not gonna have a sub-2 ERA all year but he's been good all year, with the added cutter to his other pitches.

CrimsonCowboy
http://i.imgur.com/P6x0U.gif

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 02:31 PM
I was looking at my computer and I thought I heard Joe say "He'll be matched up against Horacio Ramirez". Erasmo. Phew.

bravesnumberone
05-17-2015, 02:31 PM
**** the **** out of the baseball gods.

But so proud of Shelby. He went right after them all day.

I'm ready to say it. I 100 percent support the trade.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:32 PM

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130407045413/glee/images/7/77/Never!.gif/

thethe
Please do.

Looks like we've redeemed ourselves from that Wainright mistake.

Its in the HOF discussion thread. Anyone can post in it.

Dalyn
I tell you one thing...Heyward will go his whole career without throwing even one Maddux, let alone two in a row.

http://i.imgur.com/mcWFQKe.jpg

Tapate50
http://media1.giphy.com/media/4wMlW2RcOCVCU/giphy.gif

This is just so ridiculous

jsebe10
Considering the fact he didn't get the no hitter, I will NOT be re-considering my opinion that we shouldn't have traded Heyward.

I will acknowledge that trading for Shelby was the correct move. It should've been done for Jordan Walden straight up. :FrediWut:

Haha yea because Cardinal brass is that stupid. You probably don't want to read this but I don't give a sht...I'm glad Heyward is gone. It's much more joy watching games like today than watching Heyward suck it up at the plate and do NOTHING vs lefties. So glad for this trade

CrimsonCowboy
05-17-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm not home, but I was listening on my phone. Dog gone it!!!! So freaking close!!!!!! Still no Braves no-hitter since Mercker in 1994.

Nevertheless, way to go, Shelby. Heck of a job.

jpx7
I was looking at my computer and I thought I heard Joe say "He'll be matched up against Horacio Ramirez". Erasmo. Phew.

I think he did say "Horacio Ramirez" at least once earlier in the telecast, too.

Tapate50
It is.

Also not sustainable.

(ducking)

He can regress a ton, and still be a TOR starter

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Who do you think TOR will give us in a trade? Norris? Hoffman? Pentacost?

benchguy
05-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Walden the DL Guy.....

50PoundHead
05-17-2015, 02:38 PM

I was mildly disappointed by the Heyward deal, but I couldn't understand some fans' outright dismissal of Miller. He didn't match his rookie statistics from 2013 when he pitched last year, but he was in the majors at age 21. Big, strong kid who could be something as he gains experience.

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:38 PM

Yup, he is the leader in the clubhouse right now for the CY Young.

sentenza
05-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Btw:
Can someone can tell me something about this Perez guy who will start on wednesday?

USMA76
Great to have a sweep when it looked like we were fading pretty badly.

chop2chip
Shelby Miller has done a whole lot to make the average fan forget about Heyward. That alone is very impressive considering how important Heyward was to the franchise for the last 5+ years.

chop2chip
05-17-2015, 02:42 PM
The Braves are 2.5 out of the Wild card in late May. Even though I don't think we stand a chance to make the playoffs, that defies all expectations.

Hawk
Chip signing off with Maxwell Smart, and then accidentally saying it was a no-hitter ... just perfect.

The Chosen One
The Braves are 2.5 out of the Wild card in late May. Even though I don't think we stand a chance to make the playoffs, that defies all expectations.

Keeping the ship together. :FrediGreen:

USMA76
05-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Chip signing off with Maxwell Smart, and then accidentally saying it was a no-hitter ... just perfect.

IIRC the actual Maxwell Smart quote should've been, "missed it by thaaat much."

Heyward
05-17-2015, 02:46 PM

If we had a more consistent pen, i think we could stay in it but thats not the case.

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:46 PM

But he looked real smooth pinching off that post-game bump on live television while saying Miller was "this close."

jpx7
05-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Keeping the ship together. :FrediGreen:

Strong Lairds keep clubs prepared.

zbhargrove
05-17-2015, 02:49 PM
I can't remember the last pitcher we had that could look so comfortable and so efficient late in the game. 2 complete game shutouts by mid May is super impressive. The adjustments he made starting last August and continuing to this year have been huge. People don't realize he's not the same pitcher.

thethe
05-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Hah, somone actually likened the Heyward deal to a Babe Ruth deal. Awesome.

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 02:50 PM
I can't remember the last pitcher we had that could look so comfortable and so efficient late in the game. 2 complete game shutouts by mid May is super impressive. The adjustments he made starting last August and continuing to this year have been huge. People don't realize he's not the same pitcher.

Wood was doing it pretty well last year for a time. Same for Medlen in 2012 and 2013.

WaitingFor2017
05-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Can we play the Marlins more often?

Braves1976
05-17-2015, 02:52 PM
I hated seeing Miller lose his no hitter with two outs, what a tough break. That hurt, but Miller still pitched a great game and got the complete game shutout. He had been mostly a two pitch pitcher in the past but it seems he's becoming more than that now. He added the sinker late last year and seems to throw more cutters now too. If this continues I would be fine with looking into extending him at some point since he'll get expensive pretty soon anyway.

Also, great to see Peterson have good back-to-back days leading off after a tough first game at it.

mossy
05-17-2015, 02:54 PM
@OvrreactingBrav: BREAKING: THE MARLINS HAVE ALSO DISMISSED THE CONCESSIONS GIRL FROM SECTION 204, THE TICKET GUY FROM GATE 2, AND THE FAN IN SEAT 24L.

USMA76
05-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Can we play the Marlins more often?

It has to be in Miami since we're 1-2 against them at the Ted.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Wood was doing it pretty well last year for a time. Same for Medlen in 2012 and 2013.

They went back to back CG shutouts of under 100 pitches?

Medlen might have gone one, i dont know about two.

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 02:59 PM
**** the **** out of the baseball gods.

But so proud of Shelby. He went right after them all day.

I'm ready to say it. I 100 percent support the trade.

^

Hawk
05-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Lol, I can't believe the Marlins fired Redmond immediately after the game.

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Miller got Redmond fired! Or that's how I'm gonna think of it.

Heyward
05-17-2015, 03:02 PM
David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Shelby Miller is 5-1 with majors-leading 1.33 ERA ... and under contractual control through 2018.

USMA76
Miller got Redmond fired! Or that's how I'm gonna think of it.

Back to back complete game shutouts against the same team gets their manager fired?

WaitingFor2017
Fired for a 16-21 start while Fredito can have multiple miserable Septembers and hang onto his job.

zbhargrove

They have had their moments when they could every once in a while... I don't ever remember them being as consistent as Shelby has been. Teheran was for a while. I remember Wood mostly being dominant for 5-6 innings and then struggling past that. You're right about Medlen... that one stretch he had was ridiculous for 12-13 starts.

Hawk
05-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Can we have a moment to appreciate the game just pitched before going through the Miller is the second coming bull****?

jpx7
05-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Can we have a moment to appreciate the game just pitched before going through the Miller is the second coming bull****?

Not sure the internets work like that ...

Hawk
05-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Not sure the internets work like that ...

http://media.giphy.com/media/4MpIKSBvpPHRC/giphy.gif

Millwood1Hitter
05-17-2015, 03:17 PM

I just wanna know how it all ends for Miller? Whenever we get a young guy that shows so much promise it usually results in

Arm issues and multiple TJ surgery,
Shoulder issues that result in instant death,
Or a inconspicuous knee injury that appears to be nothing

I mean we are the Atlanta Braves, and JS did indeed sign a deal with the devil so that's that.

Tapate50
05-17-2015, 03:19 PM

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Unwad your undergarments. I think people are doing both.

The Chosen One
05-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Maybe Jack McKeon comes back to the bench. lol

Julio3000
05-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Lol, I can't believe the Marlins fired Redmond immediately after the game.

Whoa. Holy ****.

Loria is the biggest ****heel in MLB, and that's saying something.

Braves1976
05-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Whoa. Holy ****.

Loria is the biggest ****heel in MLB, and that's saying something.

Yea, that was really cold.

Hawk
05-17-2015, 03:28 PM
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Unwad your undergarments. I think people are doing both.

Saying that the Braves won the Jason Heyward trade because Shelby Miller almost threw a no-hitter is just straight blather, sorry.

It also seems to detract from the fact that Miller almost just threw a no-hitter. And has been pretty freaking incredible this season.

Like this:

Richard Justice
@richardjustice
Shelby Miller 1st pitcher in Braves history to open a season with eight starts of 2 earned runs or less.

or

this:

Richard Justice
@richardjustice
Shelby Miller threw 1st-pitch K to 24 of 30 hitters and had only two 3-ball counts. He was clocked at 93 mph or better 64 times, 95+ on 30.

zbhargrove
05-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Saying that the Braves won the Jason Heyward trade because Shelby Miller almost threw a no-hitter is just straight blather, sorry.

It also seems to detract from the fact that Miller almost just threw a no-hitter.

Yes... the only reason people are saying we won the Heyward trade is because he almost threw a no-hitter... *most obvious sarcasm ever*... plenty of people were saying we won the trade before he even threw a pitch as a Brave.