PDA

View Full Version : 5/18/15 MINOR LEAGUE FINAL: Carolina idle again; Banuelos starts (3-0)

rico43
05-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Where's Weber Been?

Quite a bit of buzz surrounding Ryan Weber's promotion to Gwinnett, mostly surrounding his Class AA stats: 1.93 ERA in nine games, but especially with 23 strikeouts to ONE walk in 23 IP (18 hits allowed).
So why was he below the radar? For starters, he was a 22nd round pick in 2009, a 6-0, 180 RHP out of the juco ranks -- the very definition of nondescript, even though one draft service ranked him as the No. 2 junior college pitcher available.
Don't remember what his 2011 injury was that held him to 15 games and 50 innings, but it wasn't Tommy John.

MONDAY'S GAMES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 8, Toledo 2

WP: Banuelos (3-0) 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
Fisher (Save, 1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
Kleinknecht 2-3, 3 R, HR (2nd), RBI; My. Jones 3-4, HR (2nd), 2 R, 2 RBI; Castro 2-3, 2B, RBI; E. Perez 2-5, 2B, 3B, R, 3 RBI.

CLASS AA

Pensacola 4, Mississippi 3

SP: Brigham 0.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
LP: Reyes (4-2) 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.
Ahrens 1-2, HR(1st), 3 RBI; Mx. Smith 1-3, R; Ruiz 1-3, BB.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina, idle

CLASS A

Charleston 6, Rome 2

LP: Webster (0-1) 5 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 7 K.
F. Gonzalez 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. ('15 debut)
Nevarez 1-4, HR (1st), RBI; Obregon 1-3, BB; Gaylor 0-3, R, BB, SB. .

MOVES: Weber to Gwinnett, Texiera to Miss.

Webster signing, Gonzalez up from extended spring to Rome.

Zavala back to Rome from Carolina; Marte, Osnowitz to Danville roster from Rome.

Adonis Garcia to ATLANTA!

Braves1976
05-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Braves have signed RHP Seth Webster to a minor league deal. For more information on him, see here (http://www.boomersbaseball.com/news/archives/2015/792/webster-signed-by-braves/).

Webster is starting tonight for the Rome Braves.

thethe
05-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Banuelos is really starting to get it into gear. Any reports on his velocity?

Garmel
05-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Mallex with another hit tonight. I really like this guy although he's striking out a little more than I would like.

zbhargrove
05-18-2015, 08:40 PM
So, we going to ever hear from Dian Toscano?

Tapate50
05-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Or Paroubeck for that matter?

Tapate50
05-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Figure Banuelos should start creeping back up prospect lists at this point

CJ9
05-18-2015, 10:13 PM
What's the word on when Fulenchek or Paroubeck will join a team?

Braves1976
05-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Banuelos is really starting to get it into gear. Any reports on his velocity?

I watched the game tonight on MILB.tv and it was the road feed that didn't give mph on pitches. So I had to go by what the announcers said and they didn't comment enough on his velocity to say what he averaged tonight. But I can tell you that other nights I've seen him hitting 93-94 mph at times while mostly staying around 91-93 mph. Plus Gwinnett's pitching coach said earlier this month: "Reed said he's pleased with the growth Banuelos has made."It's going to be really interesting when that arm starts to get back to where it was," Reed said. "My opinion of it is that he had a tendency to get away with some things at the lower levels when he was throwing 97, 98. Now he's in the upper levels, he's facing guys who can turn a 94, 95, 96 mph fastball around. When that velocity starts creeping up a few more notches, he has a chance to be special." Banuelos was sitting around 91-92 mph on Saturday, according to Reed, who said he touched 93-94 but was unsure if, or when, his velocity would ever reach pre-surgery highs. But the pitching coach noted the development of his curveball and improvement of his changeup -- which is in the low 80s -- will lead to more success than relying on one fastball, no matter how hard he throws it."

That said, Man-Ban must be pretty tough because he took three line drives off his body in this game and stayed in and pitched well. One of the liners was a bullet off his back right under his number 13 too. That had to hurt but he shook it off just as he shook off a liner off his thigh and another off his leg in the game. I cannot remember seeing a pitcher take three liners off his body in one game and shake it off like "Hey np I am fine" but he did. He actually looked to be okay each time too but I would bet he'll be sore in the morning.

Braves1976
05-19-2015, 12:05 AM

The last I heard is not to expect him till closer to the All-Star break.

Tapate50
05-19-2015, 05:25 AM

He decided to walk from Cuba instead of fly.

sturg33
05-19-2015, 08:17 AM

Are we paying him for this?

thethe
05-19-2015, 09:48 AM
I watched the game tonight on MILB.tv and it was the road feed that didn't give mph on pitches. So I had to go by what the announcers said and they didn't comment enough on his velocity to say what he averaged tonight. But I can tell you that other nights I've seen him hitting 93-94 mph at times while mostly staying around 91-93 mph. Plus Gwinnett's pitching coach said earlier this month: "Reed said he's pleased with the growth Banuelos has made."It's going to be really interesting when that arm starts to get back to where it was," Reed said. "My opinion of it is that he had a tendency to get away with some things at the lower levels when he was throwing 97, 98. Now he's in the upper levels, he's facing guys who can turn a 94, 95, 96 mph fastball around. When that velocity starts creeping up a few more notches, he has a chance to be special." Banuelos was sitting around 91-92 mph on Saturday, according to Reed, who said he touched 93-94 but was unsure if, or when, his velocity would ever reach pre-surgery highs. But the pitching coach noted the development of his curveball and improvement of his changeup -- which is in the low 80s -- will lead to more success than relying on one fastball, no matter how hard he throws it."

That said, Man-Ban must be pretty tough because he took three line drives off his body in this game and stayed in and pitched well. One of the liners was a bullet off his back right under his number 13 too. That had to hurt but he shook it off just as he shook off a liner off his thigh and another off his leg in the game. I cannot remember seeing a pitcher take three liners off his body in one game and shake it off like "Hey np I am fine" but he did. He actually looked to be okay each time too but I would bet he'll be sore in the morning.

Great report...I think we have another starting pitcher for next season that needs to be in the rotation:

Tehearn
Wood
Miller
Folty
Wisler
Banuelos

Thats already six guys for 5 spots and that doesn't even consider some fringe guys who could get a shot like Perez/Jenkins/Martin/etc..

Its pretty incredible how much pitching depth Hart has accumulated.

nsacpi
05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Teams almost always need more than five starters. On average teams give eight guys at least 10 starts over the course of a season. As of now we have these guys as internal candidates for 2016: Wood, Teheran, Miller, Folty, Banuelos, Wisler, Williams Perez, Martin. That's eight, which is about the right number. One or two can start the season in AAA and one or two in the pen. I'm assuming Cahill's option won't be picked up and Minor is non-tendered.

Eight is about what you need and what you have to base your planning around. It does not represent a surplus of starting pitching for 2016. Now if we pick up a veteran starting pitcher over the off-season then we can start thinking about moving a starter to fill other needs.

50PoundHead
05-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Banuelos' strike-to-ball ratio was good last night and he was on the right side of the GO/AO equation. I watch those things fairly closely with some prospects. Good to see him pitching well. Outside of two rough starts in late April, the most earned runs he's given up in a start is one.

nsacpi
05-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Banuelos' strike-to-ball ratio was good last night and he was on the right side of the GO/AO equation. I watch those things fairly closely with some prospects. Good to see him pitching well. Outside of two rough starts in late April, the most earned runs he's given up in a start is one.

Historically, he has not been a ground ball pitcher. Btw, I was checking Ryan Weber's stats and he does have a consistent pattern of high GO/AO ratios. For his career it is at 2.5 versus 1.0 for Banuelos.

50PoundHead
05-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Historically, he has not been a ground ball pitcher. Btw, I was checking Ryan Weber's stats and he does have a consistent pattern of high GO/AO ratios. For his career it is at 2.5 versus 1.0 for Banuelos.

And that's my worry about Banuelos. Potentially great stuff, but I guess I prefer guys who can get the hitter to pound it into the ground.

Weber has been a ground ball machine. I think his problem is that his fastball may not even be average. Great control and location though. He was on a couple of US Junior National teams, so he has credentials.

Enscheff
05-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Now if we pick up a veteran starting pitcher over the off-season then we can start thinking about moving a starter to fill other needs.

I think this is exactly what will happen either this offseason or next when 1 or 2 of the young guns are used in a trade package to acquire a RHed bat to pair with Freeman in the middle of the order. It's a matter of who/when, not if, in my opinion.

clvclv
05-19-2015, 11:07 AM
He decided to walk from Cuba instead of fly.

"You can't walk off the island sir" - Yunel Escobar.

:facepalm:

Garmel
05-19-2015, 11:24 AM
"You can't walk off the island sir" - Yunel Escobar.

:facepalm:

I think Tapate meant it as a joke.

Tapate50
05-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Braves prospect LHP Manny Banuelos allowed one earned run on five hits in six innings on Monday for Triple-A Gwinnett.
He walked one batter, hit a pair and struck out six in the outing, throwing 64 of 98 pitches for strikes. The 24-year-old left-hander has pitched well in eight starts for Gwinnett, posting a 3-0 record, 2.70 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 37/18 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 43 1/3 innings. Banuelos has been particularly sharp since the calendar flipped to May, with a 1.17 ERA and .220 opponents’ batting average in 23 innings (four starts) this month. It’s seemingly only a matter of time until the Braves offer him a crack at the big league rotation.

thethe
05-19-2015, 01:36 PM
If he does this until the middle of June I would call him up. There was a time where people thought Banuelos would be a TOR pitcher.

Enscheff
05-19-2015, 01:41 PM
He missed all of 2013 and only pitched 76 innings last year. I would guess he is on a strict innings limit this year of around 125-150, and has already thrown 43. I doubt he is going to throw many of those innings at the MLB level since he will need to skip starts, have short starts, or be shut down altogether about 3 months from now.

thethe
05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
He missed all of 2013 and only pitched 76 innings last year. I would guess he is on a strict innings limit this year of around 125-150, and has already thrown 43. I doubt he is going to throw many of those innings at the MLB level since he will need to skip starts, have short starts, or be shut down altogether about 3 months from now.

I'd be fine if he just got 2 months worth of pitching and they shut him down and then bring Wisler up for the rest of the year.

Some of these guys should get their feet wet in the bigs this year.

smootness
05-19-2015, 02:00 PM
If he does this until the middle of June I would call him up. There was a time where people thought Banuelos would be a TOR pitcher.

He'll need to get his velocity back up to where it was to get back to that potential, I think. I still believe he can be a very good pitcher, though.

cajunrevenge
05-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Yeah I dont get the big deal of keeping him in the minors so he can pitch longer into the season. Just let him get his 130 innings in then shut him down. An extra month of offseason rest for his arm would probably be good considering he is making a fairly big jump in innings.

Enscheff
05-19-2015, 05:55 PM
I'd be fine if he just got 2 months worth of pitching and they shut him down and then bring Wisler up for the rest of the year.

Some of these guys should get their feet wet in the bigs this year.

Not a bad plan actually. Just make sure that when ManBan gets shut down he is really shut down, not stuck in the BP so Fredi can ruin his arm.

GovClintonTyree
05-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Not a bad plan actually. Just make sure that when ManBan gets shut down he is really shut down, not stuck in the BP so Fredi can ruin his arm.

Yeah, like the mother****er did with Ben Sheets.