PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else worry???

Yogi44
08-02-2013, 02:30 PM
that when BJ comes back, our recent play and lineup stability is gonna be shot to hell? Heyward has thrived in the leadoff spot and played a very good CF. But I think taking AB's away from BMac and Gattis (assuming FG will try to get Gattis AB's while resting BMac too much) is gonna kill our recent momentum.

thethe
08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
that when BJ comes back, our recent play and lineup stability is gonna be shot to hell? Heyward has thrived in the leadoff spot and played a very good CF. But I think taking AB's away from BMac and Gattis (assuming FG will try to get Gattis AB's while resting BMac too much) is gonna kill our recent momentum.

This team is going to go as far as Heyward/Upton/Freeman takes them.

Yeah, Mac is great but those three are the cogs and the future.

Dalyn
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I am not worried because Gattis isn't really helping in left (defensively OR offensively).

Bravesfan205
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't think it changes much. BJ should be in the 7 or 8 spot when he comes back and I think some rest for McCann down the stretch isn't a bad idea. We have such a big lead now that all of regulars will be getting rested during September. We have a lot of momentum right now but regardless if BJ is back or not it won't carry all the way to the playoffs.

mossy
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Curious, but not worried, Gattis needs a break. While I love J-Hey in CF, I'll take him anywhere in the OF.

BJ has been terrible to this point, but perhaps he's ready to turn it around. Truth be told, I wish we could hand BJ's job to Jordan Schafer, but we know that will never happen.

bravesnumberone
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Gattis needs a couple days. Way too impatient right now. BJ is going to play. I think you could move CJ to cleanup and put BJ 7th or 8th and not miss a beat.

sturg33
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM

For the purpose of this season, Brian McCann is our best hitter.

As for Upton hurting our momentum, I htink it will help us.

1. It's not like Gattis was doing much of anything anyways - and he'll be replacing him
2. It will get Gattis out of the cleanup spot - which should help the middle of the order that much more
3. It will drastically improve our defense. It will significantly upgrade left and right field defense

Julio3000
08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I dunno. Gattis isn't exactly tearing it up. BJ's better in CF than Jason, and Jason will stay in the leadoff spot.

We're blowing up mostly because the guys who have been consistent producers—Freddie Mac—have been joined by a leadoff guy who is getting on base, a revitalized J-Up, and some truly bonkers stuff from CJ and Simmons at the bottom of the order. Shuffling Gattis around a little bit doesn't change that equation much.

I doubt there's any talismanic value to the running that lineup out every day, much as it may have felt this way over the past week.

Yogi44
08-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Yea, giving Gattis some days off should help him. Thing is I don't always trust Fredi to make the best decisions. I do hope BJ comes back and has a 2nd half like he did last year, but if he does bat above the 7 or 8 slot, Fredi needs someone to just take the lineup card away from him.

Heyward
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I am not worried because Gattis isn't really helping in left (defensively OR offensively).

This, Gattis needs some time off.

CyYoung31
08-02-2013, 02:45 PM

I think Mac could be an MVP candidate this year.

Heyward
08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Would a lineup of...

Heyward
JUp
FF
Mac
CJ
Uggla
Simmons
BJ
P

Really be that bad or any worse.

As others have said, defense improves mightily. It still comes down to Heyward, JUp hitting like they can do. And it's not like Gattis has been on fire lately either.

Heyward
08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Yea, giving Gattis some days off should help him. Thing is I don't always trust Fredi to make the best decisions. I do hope BJ comes back and has a 2nd half like he did last year, but if he does bat above the 7 or 8 slot, Fredi needs someone to just take the lineup card away from him.

I think the highest he'd hit is 6th.

Anywhere from 6-8 is fine.

benchguy
08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Could be an upgrade BJ may get hot, Gattis definitely is not...the defense would be better and maybe the offense
Gattis has done nothing lately to worry about putting him on the bench..

bravesnumberone
08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I actually liked this idea tossed out a few days ago.

Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Mac/CJ
CJ/Mac
Uggla
Simmons
Pitcher
BJ

jpx7
08-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Mac/CJ
CJ/Mac
Uggla
Simmons
Pitcher
BJ

Yea, I'm one of several who's advocated hitting BJ ninth, and I agree that that lineup looks very solid. Unfortunately, I doubt Fredi deploys it.

Gary82
08-02-2013, 02:50 PM
When BJ comes back, Heyward better stay in the leadoff spot.

One good thing about BJ's return is that our outfield defense will improve.

PawPawMaxwell
08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
We ve all seen both sides of Gattis. Lately he hasnt been hitting that poorly, just not with power like we expect.

We all know the story of his long lay off from baseball but it is easy to forget that he had barely a single season in minor league ball (around 200 games total)

We dont know what Wrens plans are but if Gattis is in the 2014 plans or is even traded this off season you can bet that he will get lots of coaching this winter. Especially pitch recognition.

thethe
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I think Mac could be an MVP candidate this year.

I didn't mean to diminish MAC's impact on the season. I should give it more credence for sure. I just think it was an obvious move to put Heyward in the leadoff spot but I also think it was an even better move to put Justin in the two hole. Hopefully that re-invigorates him.

thethe
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
We ve all seen both sides of Gattis. Lately he hasnt been hitting that poorly, just not with power like we expect.

We all know the story of his long lay off from baseball but it is easy to forget that he had barely a single season in minor league ball (around 200 games total)

We dont know what Wrens plans are but if Gattis is in the 2014 plans or is even traded this off season you can bet that he will get lots of coaching this winter. Especially pitch recognition.

This, some were worried (not me) that he would get tired this year. He looks sluggish at the plate. Sometimes I feel he isn't even crouching as much as he was earlier in the year. Gattis will come back even better next year.

Bdawg2309
08-02-2013, 03:00 PM
terdo is starting today:rock:

nsacpi
08-02-2013, 03:04 PM
We just need to ride the hot hitters without completely eliminating opportunities for the others. Hot streaks come and go. Early in the season the manager should go with track record. Come October you have to give more weight to who is swinging the bat well. And having more options, including BJ and Schafer coming off the DL, will be a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Joey T was on the post-season roster and got some significant playing time.

nsacpi
08-02-2013, 03:04 PM
terdo is starting today:rock:

Fredi likes him. He's shown very well, a professional hitter even with the limited major league experience.

bravesnumberone
08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
If we go into the postseason with 6 bench bats instead of 5, Joey definitely needs to be there.

nsacpi
08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
If we go into the postseason with 6 bench bats instead of 5, Joey definitely needs to be there.

Usually teams go with 11 pitchers and add a position player. Often it is a third catcher or someone fast who can be used as a pinch runner. But we already have a third catcher. I'd rather have Joey T as the extra position player than say Constanza, although I can see the value of having a fast runner on the bench.

thethe
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Usually teams go with 11 pitchers and add a position player. Often it is a third catcher or someone fast who can be used as a pinch runner. But we already have a third catcher. I'd rather have Joey T as the extra position player than say Constanza, although I can see the value of having a fast runner on the bench.

We'll have Schafer.

And, I think I'd rather have Cunningham than Georgy at this time.

JohnAdcox
08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I also like having Gattis lurking on the bench for a timely pinch hit.

thewupk
08-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Mac may not be the future but he's currently the best hitter on the team. So what he does will have a big impact on whether we go deep into the playoffs this year.

PawPawMaxwell
08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Mac may not be the future but he's currently the best hitter on the team. So what he does will have a big impact on whether we go deep into the playoffs this year.
Also worth noting that St Louis and Colo did not employ that so very drastic shift.

Krovahn
08-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Mac/CJ
CJ/Mac
Uggla
Simmons
Pitcher
BJ

This is what I hope for too. It keeps Simmons in front of the pitcher, so he should see great pitches to hit. It keeps BJ low in the order until he earns moving up. Also, it gives more likelihood of someone on base for Heyward and Upton when the lineup turns over. It is the most logical lineup, IMO... but, one that is highly unlikely to occur unless we bring in LaRussa to manage the team. Ha ha.

Mad Dog Murph
08-03-2013, 01:07 AM
We ran a lineup like that out a few times last year with Constanza hitting ninth. I still think BJ will come around....it may not be this year, but he is to talented to hit .150 the rest of his career.