PDA

View Full Version : 5/21/15 MINORS THREAD THURSDAY: Braxton Davidson article!

rico43
05-21-2015, 05:39 AM
DAVIDSON TALKS POSITION CHANGE

From MiLB.com:

Braxton Davidson did not have far to travel last June when the Atlanta Braves drafted the Asheville, North Carolina, product with the 32nd overall pick. His path to the big leagues then ventured even closer to home last weekend when he and the Class A Rome Braves visited McCormick Field for a four-game series with the Asheville Tourists.
Greeted by more than two dozen friends and family members as well as many of his former teammates from T.C. Roberson High School, Davidson struck out three times in as many at-bats in the series opener on May 14 after he peppered the parking lot with numerous blasts beyond the right-field wall during batting practice.
Another 0-for-3 showing followed on Friday, May 15, before Davidson notched three singles and scored a run to guide the R-Braves to a 6-3 victory on Saturday.
"It's always good to see familiar faces, and it's a great feeling knowing that people are supporting you," said the 18-year-old Davidson. "Being in the Braves organization and playing in the South Atlantic League is special because I grew up as a Braves fan and came to games here all the time. Being able to play and chase my dream as a Brave is special because not everyone gets to play the game they love for a living. I'm thankful and blessed to have this opportunity and I'm trying to make the most of it."
Davidson was considered to possess as much power as any high school player available in last year's Draft. He has shown signs of his pop during his first 34 games with the R-Braves by hitting three home runs with five doubles. And though he struck out 37 times in his first 111 at-bats, Davidson has displayed a mature approach at the plate by walking on 24 occasions, which was tied for second in the SAL through games of May 19.
"He has a great idea of what he's doing with the bat," said Rome manager Randy Ingle. "He's very disciplined, doesn't swing at a lot of balls out of the strikezone. He's making adjustments in a couple of areas, and overall he's doing an outstanding job."
One area in which the Braves are working with Davidson is his mechanics at the plate. The alterations include incorporating a slight leg kick to improve his timing, which the outfielder feels will help him reduce the number of times he swings and misses.
Davidson is also honing his skills in right field after playing first base for most of his amateur career. Braves coach Bobby Moore has been impressed with the youngster's first-step quickness and instincts in the outfield, adding that Davidson has above-average arm strength with excellent accuracy and carry on his throws.
"I played outfield in travel ball and also for the first 10 games or so during my senior year of high school," said Davidson, who is hitting .243/.382/.369. "I'm just trying to get better every single day in order to be the best I can be. It's tough out there, especially switching from one position that you grew up playing your entire life to another one in pro ball. But this game is all about making adjustments and that's what I'm trying to do."
Most of his adjustments are coming against older competition. In fact Davidson, who will not turn 19 until June 18, entered the season as the ninth-youngest player in the SAL. That does not intimidate the outfielder, who appreciates having the opportunity to compete and improve against some of the game's best prospects.
"It's fun playing against guys who are three, four and even five years older than you," Davidson said. "But it doesn't matter how old you are, you still have to step up to the plate and challenge them. They're not going to back down. I need to show at my young age that I'm not backing down. I just need to be more consistent and do what I know I'm capable of doing."
In brief
Another homecoming: Rome outfielder Stephen Gaylor should not have much trouble finding his way around town after he was promoted to the Braves last week from extended spring training. Signed by Atlanta as a non-drafted free agent in August 2014, Gaylor is a Rome native who played at Rome High School as well as nearby Berry College.
--------------------

Despite earlier postings, Cody Martin did NOT start Thursday night. Wang did, and he turned in his best start of the year, maybe two years, for Gwinnett. Cody came on in relief after 7.2 shutout innings.

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Columbus 1

WP: Wang (1-4) 7.2 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Martin (Save, 1) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
Peraza 2-5, HR (1st), RBI; Hunter 3-4, 2B, 2R, RBI, SB; Benson 1-3, SB.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 8, Jacksonville 7 (10)

Blown save; allowed 3-runs in 9th.
SP: Hursh 6.1 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K.
WP: Rondon (BS, 2-0) 1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
Weber (Save, 1) 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
Mx. Smith 3-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB (.336); Kennelly 1-4, 2B, R; Joseph 2-5, 3 RBI; E. Garcia 1-1, 2B, 2 RBI (PH); Ruiz 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Potomac 11, Carolina 1

LP: Gil (0-7) 3 IP, 10 H, 10 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
Godfrey 1-3, HR (3rd), RBI.

CLASS A

Savannah 2, Rome 0

LP: Grosser (2-2) 5 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 3 WP, HBP.
Edgerton 1-4 (.336); Albies 1-4. Only 2 hits!
Rome had only two hits and 15 strikeouts.

thethe
05-21-2015, 08:56 PM
This has been discussed already tonight but thought I'd put it in here.

Mallex Smith with 3 hits 2 runs and 2 stolen bases.

Hopefully the kid is fully healthy.

smootness
05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Mallex and Peraza are now officially at the point at which they can be called up at any point, depending on open spots, contracts, etc. They both have their level figured out. Really, really excited for Mallex in particular.

clvclv
05-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Mallex and Peraza are now officially at the point at which they can be called up at any point, depending on open spots, contracts, etc. They both have their level figured out. Really, really excited for Mallex in particular.

Even less reason to push Mallex then there is Peraza at this point IMO. Maybin is making strides every day and we owe him through next season. I can't possibly fathom that Mallex can make a dent in the $11.5 million it'd cost to cut ties with him at this point. I'd personally prefer to let Smith continue to percolate and challenge him with a bump to Gwinnett by releasing someone if they feel he's ready for a new challenge, but there's no need to rush him at all. Give him the second half at the next level and a legitimate shot to take the job from Cameron next spring, and if he doesn't do it he'll more than be ready when the new park opens and you can release Cam and it only costs you $1 million.

That said, I'm all for promoting Peraza at any time - even if you can't get anything for Chris Johnson you can cut bait with Callaspo and Gosselin and platoon Peterson with CJ and it "only" costs you a couple million - actually even less if you keep Cunningham and let KJ go when he comes back.

clvclv
05-21-2015, 10:40 PM
In the scenario I mentioned above, it gives you time to get pretty good value for Maybin in the event he continues to improve and somebody (the Yankees perhaps since Ellsbury's ALWAYS hurt) need a CF/leadoff guy.

cajunrevenge
05-22-2015, 12:19 AM
So much for Peraza's mystery injury. Is he better defensively at 2B than Peterson?

chop2chip
05-22-2015, 12:33 AM
So much for Peraza's mystery injury. Is he better defensively at 2B than Peterson?

Kiley McDaniel had Jace as a 50 fielder and Jose as a 50+.

thethe
05-22-2015, 05:27 AM
In no way shape or form to you platoon Jace Peterson right now. That man needs to play every day.

The Braves are super fun this year and if Peraza can give them a chance to sneak in the wild card I just might do it.

Maybin is our CF for the rest of the season and if he continues to build on what he is doing he will be our CF for the next 2 years after this season at the very least.

50PoundHead
05-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Even less reason to push Mallex then there is Peraza at this point IMO. Maybin is making strides every day and we owe him through next season. I can't possibly fathom that Mallex can make a dent in the $11.5 million it'd cost to cut ties with him at this point. I'd personally prefer to let Smith continue to percolate and challenge him with a bump to Gwinnett by releasing someone if they feel he's ready for a new challenge, but there's no need to rush him at all. Give him the second half at the next level and a legitimate shot to take the job from Cameron next spring, and if he doesn't do it he'll more than be ready when the new park opens and you can release Cam and it only costs you $1 million.

That said, I'm all for promoting Peraza at any time - even if you can't get anything for Chris Johnson you can cut bait with Callaspo and Gosselin and platoon Peterson with CJ and it "only" costs you a couple million - actually even less if you keep Cunningham and let KJ go when he comes back.

I agree. I can never figure out why some fans want to rush guys to the big leagues. Let these guys follow their natural development arc and strengthen their fundamentals before challenging them and forcing them to make adjustments they may not be ready to make. It would be different if the big league club was a legitimate contender.

thethe
05-22-2015, 08:03 AM
I agree. I can never figure out why some fans want to rush guys to the big leagues. Let these guys follow their natural development arc and strengthen their fundamentals before challenging them and forcing them to make adjustments they may not be ready to make. It would be different if the big league club was a legitimate contender.

Is it possible though that the Braves could get into the wild card hunt with Peraza at 2B and Peterson at 3B?

50PoundHead
05-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Is it possible though that the Braves could get into the wild card hunt with Peraza at 2B and Peterson at 3B?

I don't think so, but I would gladly be proven wrong.

clvclv
05-22-2015, 08:53 AM

That's exactly the question I keep asking myself and the reason I want to see it. Peterson-Peraza-Freeman-Markakis would give you a chance to keep putting runs on the board just playing small ball.

thethe
05-22-2015, 08:56 AM
That's exactly the question I keep asking myself and the reason I want to see it. Peterson-Peraza-Freeman-Markakis would give you a chance to keep putting runs on the board just playing small ball.

The Braves need to figure out the best way to keep putting runners on base in front of Freeman/Markakis. I'd put Peraza in the 9th spot.

Peterson
Maybin
Freeman
Markakis
Simmons
KJ
CB
PItcher
Peraza

I honestly think that we could be a really annoying team to play against any type of pitcher.

yeezus
05-22-2015, 09:12 AM
The Braves need to figure out the best way to keep putting runners on base in front of Freeman/Markakis. I'd put Peraza in the 9th spot.

Peterson
Maybin
Freeman
Markakis
Simmons
KJ
CB
PItcher
Peraza

I honestly think that we could be a really annoying team to play against any type of pitcher.

I'd almost rather bat Maybin 4th and Peraza/Peterson 1/2. Markakis is a less risky choice of course. But Maybin's power vs. Markakis' is better at 4.

thethe
05-22-2015, 09:17 AM
I'd almost rather bat Maybin 4th and Peraza/Peterson 1/2. Markakis is a less risky choice of course. But Maybin's power vs. Markakis' is better at 4.

I guess I could see that but I'm just loving Maybins on base and Freeman is our best hitter so thats why I put him up there. But it does make sense to mix up the lefties a bit as well. Either way I think as long as you put those 5 hitters (seven really with KJ/Simmons) I think we could end up having a pretty good offense.

smootness
05-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Just for the record, I wasn't advocating promoting either of them right now, or really advocating promoting them at all. As I said, those decisions will be based on whether there is an open spot or when it makes the most sense based on Super 2 status, etc. (and for Mallex Smith, I'm talking about promoting him to Gwinnett, not Atlanta). But my point was that generally a promotion is also based on when a player is ready, and in the case of both, they are ready right now.

Personally, I think Peraza should be called up in June or July and should play every day. With regard to what you do with everyone else, I don't know; that's the job of other people, but I see no benefit in leaving Peraza down beyond that.

For Mallex Smith, it will at least partly depend on Maybin and Eury Perez. But if he keeps hitting .330+ in AA, you just can't leave him down there too long. I would like to see him get at least a month or two in Gwinnett this year so that he already has some time there before next year. Then everything from there will be based on performance.

JohnAdcox
05-22-2015, 09:58 AM
This has been discussed already tonight but thought I'd put it in here.

Mallex Smith with 3 hits 2 runs and 2 stolen bases.

Hopefully the kid is fully healthy.

On the other hand, if he’s not, imagine how good he’ll be when he IS.

JohnAdcox
05-22-2015, 10:01 AM
- actually even less if you keep Cunningham and let KJ go when he comes back.

You’d keep EYJ over KJ?

Tapate50
05-22-2015, 10:31 AM
You’d keep EYJ over KJ?

In no way shape of form. We have a glut of CF options.

Braves1976
05-22-2015, 10:33 AM
In no way shape or form to you platoon Jace Peterson right now. That man needs to play every day.

The Braves are super fun this year and if Peraza can give them a chance to sneak in the wild card I just might do it.

Maybin is our CF for the rest of the season and if he continues to build on what he is doing he will be our CF for the next 2 years after this season at the very least.

I agree with you about Peterson, let the kid play this year and see what he can do. So far so good. I don't see us a real threat for the Wild Card with Fredi managing but I do agree with you that this team is better than expected. I like the offense better so far this year but that could be skewed by early success against the Marlins and few other struggling teams (including Brewers last night). In other words, it will be interesting to see what we do next week against better teams such as the Giants and Dodgers. Further, we should note that Simmons is contributing on both defense and offense so far this year whereas last year it was just pretty much just defense. So that is one black hole in the line-up gone and the other two main black holes were BJ Upton (traded) and Chris Johnson (hasn't played as much and currently on DL). It certainly helps to remove three black holes from your line-up and having a much better or more versatile bench helps too. However, I still have concerns about the starting rotation and even more concerns about the bullpen. I am glad it's been better of late but we no doubt went from a great bullpen to one that we just hope is enough to get by with. And given the way Fredi manages bullpens I am not sure how it will look later in the season.

That said, I am glad more posters like Maybin now as I find him a very likable player, but I really doubt the organization sees him as a long term CF solution. So whether or not agree, I still see them trading him at some point and using that money on other needs. But it is possible that could change if he has a career year this year. Time will tell.

Braves1976
05-22-2015, 10:34 AM
In no way shape of form. We have a glut of CF options.

Yea, I am not sure why EYJ is still on the team. We don't even use him as a pinch runner much.

Enscheff
05-22-2015, 11:04 AM
CJ is still very potent vs LHers, so he is still a useful roster piece. Between Simmons, Peraza, Jace, KJ and CJ there are plenty of options to platoon guys all over the IF and get guys rest (the only reason Simmons would sit).

50PoundHead
05-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Yea, I am not sure why EYJ is still on the team. We don't even use him as a pinch runner much.

I think EYJ will be the odd man out when Kelly Johnson returns. Chris Johnson's return likely bumps Ciriaco.

JohnAdcox
05-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I think EYJ will be the odd man out when Kelly Johnson returns. Chris Johnson's return likely bumps Ciriaco.

Before Garcia?

clvclv
05-22-2015, 03:38 PM
You’d keep EYJ over KJ?

I personally already consider EY gone - the fact that he's still on the roster really confuses me now that Cunningham's up. Todd's also a switch-hitter, a much better defender (in all 3 OF spots), and while he may not quite be the burner that EY is he's far from a base-clogger.

EY should be DFA'd immediately. I was just pointing out that either of them (if not both) should be gone to save money at this point - Mallex was already breathing down Cunningham's neck for a promotion to Gwinnett - it's time to see if Cunningham's going to be able to stick as a useful 4th or 5th OF moving forward and whether he'll be able to hit when only getting limited ABs.