PDA

View Full Version : 5/23/15 MINOR LEAGUE THREAD SATURDAY

rico43
05-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Carolina now 0-8 since crash. Falls below .500 for first time.

Starting pitchers Saturday: 19.1 IP, 18 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 16 K.

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Columbus 1

Combination four-hitter!
SP: Banuelos 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K. (90 pitches)
WP: Carpenter (1-0) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. (0.89 ERA)
Hunter 2-4, 2B, 3 RBI; E. Perez 2-3, 2B, 2 R, HR (2nd), 2 RBI; Castro 2-4, R.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 6, Jacksonville 0 (9th)

SP: J. Reyes 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K.
Lamm 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Ahrens 2-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI; Kang 2-3, 3 R, 2 RBI; Mx. Smith 1-3, 2 BB.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Wilmington 1, Carolina 0

LP: Webster (0-1) 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
Lien 2-4, 2B; Camargo 1-3, 2B; Schrader 1-4.

CLASS A
Rome 9, Savannah 5

SP: Quintana 3 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
WP: Caicedo (2-0) 3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
Albies 1-3, RBI, 2 SB; Davidson 1-4, HR (2nd), 2 RBI; Daris 2-3, 3B, 2 R, 4 RBI, SB.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Banuelos throwing zeroes again so far today with 3IP and 5K's with 1BB.

Its time to start considering this guy a top 100 prospect again. Maybe higher.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Eury Perez has been impressive all season. I think at some point we are going to see Cunningham/Young down and Peraza/Perez up.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Mallex 1 for 1 with 2BB's and a stolen base so far. Guy is hitting .353...time for a call up.

chop2chip
05-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Mallex 1 for 1 with 2BB's and a stolen base so far. Guy is hitting .353...time for a call up.
Seems like that's going to be a simultaneous move when Perez gets called up.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Seems like that's going to be a simultaneous move when Perez gets called up.

Yeah, I get not calling up Peraza yet but Perez should have been called up yesterday and Young DFA'd. Need to challenge both Perez and Smith at this point.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Eury Perez has been impressive all season. I think at some point we are going to see Cunningham/Young down and Peraza/Perez up.

Perez has been too often overlooked IMO, whether he only ends up a 4th/5th outfielder or better I like him. He has a lot of speed (22 stolen bases, isn't that the most in pro ball by anyone this year?) and has hit well too. I like Smith as our future starter in CF but I want to keep them both as they make a solid lefty-righty speed combo (esp. given Perez numbers vs lefties over his career). Perez is out of options next year so we will lose him most likely should he not make the team next year.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Perez has been too often overlooked IMO, whether he only ends up a 4th/5th outfielder or better I like him. He has a lot of speed (22 stolen bases, isn't that the most in pro ball by anyone this year?) and has hit well too. I like Smith as our future starter in CF but I want to keep them both as they make a solid lefty-righty speed combo (esp. given Perez numbers vs lefties over his career). Perez is out of options next year so we will lose him most likely should he not make the team next year.

I love his BB/K ratio. Seems like another hitter int he same mold that the organziation is moving to. Athletic guy who will grind out AB's and get on base. I'm ready to see him in LF everyday.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 07:38 PM
BTW, I still feel the same way about Man-Ban and the trade for him since the day we made it. Man-Ban has been great again so far today. And last I heard Carpenter had an ERA over five for the NYY. Shreve was the only real loss in that trade but worth it given Man-Ban's potential.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:39 PM
BTW, I still feel the same way about Man-Ban and the trade for him since the day we made it. Man-Ban has been great again so far today. And last I heard Carpenter had an ERA over five for the NYY. Shreve was the only real loss in that trade but worth it given Man-Ban's potential.

its not outrageous to consider Banuelos a top 100 prospects at this time. The scouting reports have been positive and the results have been great as well. Best part is both of tehse aspects are trending in a positive direction.

chop2chip
05-23-2015, 07:44 PM
1976, you are our resident minor league watcher. What has Man Ban's velocity been through the year? Control? Homeruns? They say those three things usually take about 2 years to get back to pre TJ levels.

jpx7
05-23-2015, 07:52 PM

They need to keep Cunningham up; it's time to see if he can be a legitimate contributor, even on the margins, for Atlanta.

(The Ankle-Breaker should have never made the team.)

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:54 PM
They need to keep Cunningham up; it's time to see if he can be a legitimate contributor, even on the margins, for Atlanta.

Perez could be held down for sure or maybe the Braves would be willing to admit a mistake and just DFA Callaspo. Thats unlikelyi though because he isn't completely worthless.

I think its time to see Perez as well so we know if its worth to put him on the 25 man next season.

thethe
05-23-2015, 07:57 PM
1976, you are our resident minor league watcher. What has Man Ban's velocity been through the year? Control? Homeruns? They say those three things usually take about 2 years to get back to pre TJ levels.

Braves1976 has already reported that ManBan has been considently in the low 90's while touching mid 90's on occasion.

chop2chip
05-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Perez could be held down for sure or maybe the Braves would be willing to admit a mistake and just DFA Callaspo. Thats unlikelyi though because he isn't completely worthless.

I think its time to see Perez as well so we know if its worth to put him on the 25 man next season.I'm hoping the return of Kelly in a week or two is the death knell for Callaspo.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 07:58 PM

Man-Ban does occasionally have too many full counts and get wild. He just had that issue pop up in this game as after what could've been a error ruled a hit, he then got a fly out, walked two batters and just hit a batter with a 1-2 count. He was doing great before hand but now he's being taken out (surprised by that). Also, I covered a lot you asked his last win in the minor league game thread--here's that post:

I watched the game tonight on MILB.tv and it was the road feed that didn't give mph on pitches. So I had to go by what the announcers said and they didn't comment enough on his velocity to say what he averaged tonight. But I can tell you that other nights I've seen him hitting 93-94 mph at times while mostly staying around 91-93 mph. Plus Gwinnett's pitching coach said earlier this month: "Reed said he's pleased with the growth Banuelos has made."It's going to be really interesting when that arm starts to get back to where it was," Reed said. "My opinion of it is that he had a tendency to get away with some things at the lower levels when he was throwing 97, 98. Now he's in the upper levels, he's facing guys who can turn a 94, 95, 96 mph fastball around. When that velocity starts creeping up a few more notches, he has a chance to be special." Banuelos was sitting around 91-92 mph on Saturday, according to Reed, who said he touched 93-94 but was unsure if, or when, his velocity would ever reach pre-surgery highs. But the pitching coach noted the development of his curveball and improvement of his changeup -- which is in the low 80s -- will lead to more success than relying on one fastball, no matter how hard he throws it."

PS: He hasn't really had any problems with the homerun ball, he's allowed two this year.

thethe
05-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Davidson hit his 4th homer today.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 08:26 PM
BTW, if y'all miss David Carpenter for some reason you may get to see his name again in an Atlanta Braves jersey. It just won't be the same David Carpenter, our new one has a 0.89 ERA so far with Gwinnett and already has Major league experience so I wouldn't be surprised if he's up with Atlanta at some point (esp. since we switch out bullpen arms so much).

KB21
05-23-2015, 08:38 PM
I thought Perez would make the team out of spring training.

KB21
05-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Davidson hit his 4th homer today.

He's progressing. The expected power hasn't come yet, but the patience is there. I think when he gets in a groove and his confidence goes up, his numbers will sky rocket.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Mississippi (23-18) @ Jacksonville, 7:35

SP: J. Reyes (4-2).

Did anyone besides me have a Jo-Jo Reyes flashback seeing "J. Reyes" starting for Mississippi? I know he isn't Jo-Jo, it's just seeing his name listed that way as starter gave me a Jo-Jo flashback. Maybe it's just me though. :)

PS: Jo-Jo is only 30 and is now pitching in the Mexican league.

dak
05-23-2015, 09:04 PM
I was at the GWI game tonight in Columbus. Busy patrolling a couple toddlers, so not a ton of insights. The highest I saw Banuelos hit on the stadium gun was 92, but the range was more around 89-91. Seemed to be in control early, but the baserunners piled up on him in the 5th. Was really looking forward to seeing some Peraza magic, but the highlight was him taking a walk.

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 09:07 PM
I was at the GWI game tonight in Columbus. Busy patrolling a couple toddlers, so not a ton of insights. The highest I saw Banuelos hit on the stadium gun was 92, but the range was more around 89-91. Seemed to be in control early, but the baserunners piled up on him in the 5th. Was really looking forward to seeing some Peraza magic, but the highlight was him taking a walk.

Well, at least you got to see a win even if you were kinda busy patrolling the little ones. :)

dak
05-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Well, at least you got to see a win even if you were kinda busy patrolling the little ones. :)

Yeah, I was pumped to see Banuelos, as it seems like I'm usually only seeing the roster-filler SPs when they come to Columbus. We got through 6 innings with the kids, which is a minor coup. Last year, I think we left after the 4th. :)

Braves1976
05-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I was pumped to see Banuelos, as it seems like I'm usually only seeing the roster-filler SPs when they come to Columbus. We got through 6 innings with the kids, which is a minor coup. Last year, I think we left after the 4th. :)

Cool, sounds like y'all are making progress staying longer this time. :)

Deester11
05-23-2015, 09:42 PM
He's progressing. The expected power hasn't come yet, but the patience is there. I think when he gets in a groove and his confidence goes up, his numbers will sky rocket.
He's selective, but gets himself into too many pitchers counts. His SO's aren't of the flailing kind as he's very selective. He needs to be more aggressive in the zone.