PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : [1] 2

yeezus
08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
What are your favorite beers?
I'm a huge summer love guy.
I love all the dogfish IPAs, but 60 minute is perfection.
Also, their Indian Brown Ale.
I think Bass is underrated.
Yuengling is great on a budget.
Also Hopback Amber Ale by Troegs is one of my favorites.
My cousin works as a brewer at Riverhorse, for those familiar with them.

I also can't stand the ****ty beers that use stupid gimmicks. Miller lite punch top can? New bottles for bud light? Blue mountains for coors? Come on.

Heyward
08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Don't drink beer.

Nasty as hell.

zitothebrave
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't drink beer.

Nasty as hell.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/283/543/c8d.jpg

CyYoung31
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't drink beer.

Nasty as hell.

I didn't realize you were female. It's good to have some more female perspectives on the board.

Heyward
08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I didn't realize you were female. It's good to have some more female perspectives on the board.

Takes one to know one.

zitothebrave
08-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm a huge summer love guy.
I love all the dogfish IPAs, but 60 minute is perfection.
Also, their Indian Brown Ale.
I think Bass is underrated.
Yuengling is great on a budget.
Also Hopback Amber Ale by Troegs is one of my favorites.
My cousin works as a brewer at Riverhorse, for those familiar with them.

I also can't stand the ****ty beers that use stupid gimmicks. Miller lite punch top can? New bottles for bud light? Blue mountains for coors? Come on.

Favorite beers in no particular order

Victory Hop Wallop
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Victory Prima Pils
Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale
FIrestone Walker Wookie Jack
Firestone Walker Double Jack
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination
Stone Enjoy by IPA
Sierra Pale Ale
Lagunitas Lagunitas Sucks
Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Bluepoint Blueberry Ale
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Sixpoint Resin
Troegs Hopback
Troegs Troegenator
Founders KBS
Allagash Four
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Dogfish 90
ROgue Dead Guy, Double Dead Guy, and Chocolate Stout.

Yuengling Premium is my cheap beer, rather have that than any BMC.

And can your cousin get me a job? haha

yeezus
08-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Could not remember the name of Stone IPA, but definitely one of my favorites.
How long have you been brewing? My cousin is 25, I guess he started around 21 with brewing. Had a whole setup in his basement. He worked at a brew-pub in Philly for a while as an assistant before landing the Riverhorse gig. He brings home cases of short fills every day!

zitothebrave
08-02-2013, 04:25 PM
I've been brewing seriously for about a year, my brother and I started brewing a few years ago but to massive failure. Now we're doing much better. I'm in the process of trying to get an apprentice brewer position at one of many breweries. I just have to decide basically where I want to move to. Rogue expressed interest in my, one up in New Hampshire my girlfriends family knows so I could have a good in there and have a solid job to hold at her parents restaurant.

When did he start at Riverhorse? I may have met him once or twice.

yeezus
08-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I've been brewing seriously for about a year, my brother and I started brewing a few years ago but to massive failure. Now we're doing much better. I'm in the process of trying to get an apprentice brewer position at one of many breweries. I just have to decide basically where I want to move to. Rogue expressed interest in my, one up in New Hampshire my girlfriends family knows so I could have a good in there and have a solid job to hold at her parents restaurant.

When did he start at Riverhorse? I may have met him once or twice.

I guess it's been about 6 months. Time flies.

zitothebrave
08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I haven't been there in the last 6 months. Want to go check out the new brewery once it's open for tours. Also need to try to checkout FLying FIsh's new brewery, supposed to be cool.

zitothebrave
08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
I'll do this for gilesdan

Bud
Miller
Coors
Corona
Guinness
Some local beer was ok

elmonthc
08-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Big Bear

JohnAdcox
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Aventinus. The beer that God drinks. Also, Heavy Seas Greater (NOT Great) Pumpkin.

parkvadawg
08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I prefer to drink a beer with class. Nady lite

DjGrizz
08-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Favorite beers in no particular order

Victory Hop Wallop
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Victory Prima Pils
Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale
FIrestone Walker Wookie Jack
Firestone Walker Double Jack
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination
Stone Enjoy by IPA
Sierra Pale Ale
Lagunitas Lagunitas Sucks
Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Bluepoint Blueberry Ale
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Sixpoint Resin
Troegs Hopback
Troegs Troegenator
Founders KBS
Allagash Four
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Dogfish 90
ROgue Dead Guy, Double Dead Guy, and Chocolate Stout.

Yuengling Premium is my cheap beer, rather have that than any BMC.

And can your cousin get me a job? haha

Fack yeah zito! I go up to the Rogue brewery in Newport Oregon all the time! If you go by the docks you can get 12-22's of dead guy ale for 20 bucks! Its about to expire but the shelf quality last way longer then the label

DjGrizz
08-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Rogue Dead Guy and Irish lager

Lost Coast Brewery out of Eureka Ca makes a dank tangerine wheat

Widmer Hefeweizen

Ninkasi Oatis Oatmeal Stout

Terminal Gravity Ipa

nocalgirl10
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Hey now, don't lump him in with the rest of us. Beer is delicious.

Lately I've been liking Lagunitas IPA. Other favorites are Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Pacifico and Firestone. A local bar here in Sac has Olympia on tap for $2 which is awesome. Most places usually like just catering to the hipster beer snobs.

zitothebrave
08-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Fack yeah zito! I go up to the Rogue brewery in Newport Oregon all the time! If you go by the docks you can get 12-22's of dead guy ale for 20 bucks! Its about to expire but the shelf quality last way longer then the label

Expiration for beer is just a reminder. Beer can pretty much not expire as long as they did well sanitizing. You'll just wind up with a very different tasting beer. My brother and Sister in law just came back from a trip to Newport/Portland and I'm trying to plan a trip out there. Rogue is hiring entry level brewers where you're basically the ***** and you take that and work your way up.

CyYoung31
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Keystone
Icehouse
Steel Reserve
Milwaukee's Best

DjGrizz
08-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Expiration for beer is just a reminder. Beer can pretty much not expire as long as they did well sanitizing. You'll just wind up with a very different tasting beer. My brother and Sister in law just came back from a trip to Newport/Portland and I'm trying to plan a trip out there. Rogue is hiring entry level brewers where you're basically the ***** and you take that and work your way up.

Hell yeah! You ever tried their hard a? Just got back from a camping trip and we were passing some Rogue Gin around the campfire. So damn smooth!

DjGrizz
08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Keystone
Icehouse
Steel Reserve
Milwaukee's Best

You either live in a trailer or a dorm ;)

CyYoung31
08-05-2013, 02:06 AM
You either live in a trailer or a dorm ;)

Neither. Who said I was ranking my favorite beers?

DjGrizz
08-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Neither. Who said I was ranking my favorite beers?

Jesus

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Bud
Miller
Coors
Corona
Guinness
Some local beer was ok

Most of those are disgusting.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Most of those are disgusting.

Rolling Rock
Pabst
Miller High Life

bravesnumberone
08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with PBR (hipster beer) at 1:30 in the morning when the wallet's low. Speaking mostly from college days.

Can't say I have a particular favorite. Yuengling (alright for its price) Fat Tire, Sam Adams Octoberfest, Shock Top are typically the ones I'll buy off the shelf. Terrapin (Athens, Ga.) is really good. Anything else I drink is typically from local breweries.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree on Pabst. I drink it sometimes. But it's far from one of my favorites.
Giles probably thinks Stella Artois is good.

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Stella is awful.

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.thegrowlernyc.com/index.cfm

Just had a Brooklyn Scorcher # 366 and a Jameson 12 years. (price difference isn't worth getting 25 years, imo). Pretty solid.

sentenza
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Of course a cold Reissdorf Kölsch!

http://www.saulustig.com/e107_files/public/1327484021_2770_FT39721_reissdorf-koelsch.jpg

JohnAdcox
08-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Stella is awful.
Wait. I thought he was our second baseman next year?

Carp
08-06-2013, 02:49 AM
I like Leinenkugel summer shandy. Really good tasting beer.

Julio3000
08-06-2013, 08:12 AM
My reliable summer jawns are Sierra Nevada Pale, Dale's Pale, and Caldera Ashland Amber. My trusties are malts, though: Highland Black Mocha Stout is probably my favorite.

zitothebrave
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I like Leinenkugel summer shandy. Really good tasting beer.

Does that drink come with a tampon? :icwudt:

parkvadawg
08-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Beer snobs

BlackwaterPark
08-07-2013, 06:00 AM
Don't drink beer.

Nasty as hell.

Same here

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Quantity over quality

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Does that drink come with a tampon? :icwudt:

No, but a glass of cranberry juice for good measure.

JohnAdcox
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Quantity over quality

That is not the correct answer.

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
That is not the correct answer.

Hmmm... Worked great so far? You people are some uppity arse beer drinkers. You can't run your belt through a six pack ring of those fancy beers for hands free . They are just too big. Fml if I had to carry those tank shells around.

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Of course a cold Reissdorf Kölsch!

http://www.saulustig.com/e107_files/public/1327484021_2770_FT39721_reissdorf-koelsch.jpg

Good lord.

zitothebrave
08-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Hmmm... Worked great so far? You people are some uppity arse beer drinkers. You can't run your belt through a six pack ring of those fancy beers for hands free . They are just too big. Fml if I had to carry those tank shells around.

This doesn't even make sense. I feel like I'm reading an elmonthc post.

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I didn't figure you for a real drinker zeets. If you haven't ever run your belt through a empty 6 pack ring and hung em from your belt for carry along , you ain't livin'. Can ya read that or do ya need help? Sound it out....

May drink a bit tonight actually.

zitothebrave
08-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I didn't figure you for a real drinker zeets. If you haven't ever run your belt through a empty 6 pack ring and hung em from your belt for carry along , you ain't livin'. Can ya read that or do ya need help? Sound it out....

May drink a bit tonight actually.

That sounds like a pain, first off you are walking around with beer, which does 2 things. One it can easily cause shaken cans. 2 I don't want **** bouncing against my legs. That's why I invest in coolers. They keep the beer cold and not shaken.

Also incase you didn't know, they make good beer in cans.

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 06:29 PM
That sounds like a pain, first off you are walking around with beer, which does 2 things. One it can easily cause shaken cans. 2 I don't want **** bouncing against my legs. That's why I invest in coolers. They keep the beer cold and not shaken.

Also incase you didn't know, they make good beer in cans.

That's crazy talk. Since when?

zitothebrave
08-07-2013, 06:42 PM
That's crazy talk. Since when?

Since 2002

http://semi-rad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dales-pale-ale.jpg

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Since 2002

http://semi-rad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dales-pale-ale.jpg

Never heard of it. Is that photoshop?

zitothebrave
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
You never heard of that? Well that's really your loss sir

Tapate50
08-07-2013, 08:17 PM

I bet you drink a lot of pale ale you ol sailor you!

This thread is a HUGE reminder if how different I am from you gents.

Bdawg2309
08-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Bud
Miller
Coors
Corona
Guinness
Some local beer was ok

you forgot natty light....

ESP47
08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
It's time go back to a time when men were men. When you'd rest one of these bad boys on a fender and bloody up your knuckles changing an oil pump. When that didn't go as planned, you'd go inside the trailer and knock your old lady around just for the hell of it. A better, simpler time..

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/olympia.gif

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 09:52 PM
To bump this thread. I've had a few good ales this week.

First starting off with some of the Fat Tire I got as part of my reward for moving my brother and sister in law to New Orleans. Second I enjoyed some Flying Fish Red Fish. Have to give them credit that beer really is a hit for me. I love Flying Fish think they make good beers but I think they're a little lost in their identity. I think they imagine themselves as more of a Belgian style brewer, when their best brews are American Pale Ales and IPAs. To me the best brews they've made are their Exit 16, Exit 9, Red Fish and Hop Fish. Exit 4 is their only Belgian I truly enjoy. Their Dubber is pretty weak, their farmhouse is weak, and their Grand Cru I'm underwhelmed with.

Tonight I'm sipping on a slightly cooler than room temp Weyerbacher Blashphemy. Debating to myself who does American Belgians the best, Weyerbacher, Alagash, or Ommegang? And why are they all in the Northeast?

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Had a Dogfish 90 the other night for the first time in a while. Always nice.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 10:11 PM
90 is really good. In an accidental experiment (and example that I had too much money to burn when I was 21) I bought a case of 90 minute. It wound up lasting about a year or so before I finished it. And tasting it evolve as a beer was interesting.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM

Stoked that they're now brewing it in Brevard, NC, for East Coast consumption.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Stoked that they're now brewing it in Brevard, NC, for East Coast consumption.

I had plenty of East Coast Oskar Blues. I love me some Deviant Dale's.

What I really want is some bar to have Sculpin near me again.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 11:03 PM
I had plenty of East Coast Oskar Blues. I love me some Deviant Dale's.

What I really want is some bar to have Sculpin near me again.

Oh, i know. It's just meant wider distribution in my neck of the woods. It's gas station beer now, which is cool.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Oh, i know. It's just meant wider distribution in my neck of the woods. It's gas station beer now, which is cool.

Well that's a viable point. Dale's is one of my favorite semi-sessionable beer.

jpx7
08-21-2013, 10:22 AM

Pretty much anything that Three Floyds brews.

jpx7
08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Tonight I'm sipping on a slightly cooler than room temp Weyerbacher Blashphemy. Debating to myself who does American Belgians the best, Weyerbacher, Alagash, or Ommegang? And why are they all in the Northeast?

Ommegang a few years ago, but usurped by Alagash recently, as Allagash has started producing larger volumes of bomber-format stuff like their Curieux (while Ommegang has begun experimenting with some really delicious different styles, like the Scythe and Sickle and the Fleur de Houblon). Plus the Allagash tripel is one of my favorite beers, and favorite tripels (American or otherwise), so it's easy to award them the honor.

Boulevard, from Kansas City, also produces some pretty solid Belgians, as does Lost Abbey in San Marcos. I'd moreover be remiss if I failed to mention New Glarus — specifically the (regionally-)famous Spotted Cow, along with their Wisconsin Cherry Red, brewed with Door County cherries.

yeezus
08-21-2013, 05:56 PM
To bump this thread. I've had a few good ales this week.

First starting off with some of the Fat Tire I got as part of my reward for moving my brother and sister in law to New Orleans. Second I enjoyed some Flying Fish Red Fish. Have to give them credit that beer really is a hit for me. I love Flying Fish think they make good beers but I think they're a little lost in their identity. I think they imagine themselves as more of a Belgian style brewer, when their best brews are American Pale Ales and IPAs. To me the best brews they've made are their Exit 16, Exit 9, Red Fish and Hop Fish. Exit 4 is their only Belgian I truly enjoy. Their Dubber is pretty weak, their farmhouse is weak, and their Grand Cru I'm underwhelmed with.

There's a bar on my street that charges $2.75 for pints of any Flying Fish brew.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 07:55 PM
That would cause a problem for me. Under 3 bucks for good beer. I'd probably never go anywher ebut there. Get done work go to the bar. Passout in car. Repeat.

gilesfan
08-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Got a Sam Adams Utopia. Will be drinking this weekend.

BlackwaterPark
08-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I have tried a few different types, but think beer is pretty disgusting. Any tips? I would like to be able to drink a few just for social reasons..

thethe
08-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Not a huge fan of beer either. I can drink it but its not my preferred method of getting drunk. I prefer mildly mixed drinks like pineapple vodka or jack w/coke. Give me 5 or 6 of those and I have a good night.

BlackwaterPark
08-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Well I prefer to never get drunk, think its pretty worthless, but thats another subject

thethe
08-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Well I prefer to never get drunk, think its pretty worthless, but thats another subject

I was always a guy that smoke a whole lot of weed in college and in my early 20's so getting drunk wasn't my thing. But, as I get older I am finding it more and more fun to be drunk and I look back at my teenage and early 20 years wishing I got drunk more often. Now, I still think its crazy that weed is illegal and alcohol is legal but booze are not as awful as I thought they were.

zitothebrave
08-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I have tried a few different types, but think beer is pretty disgusting. Any tips? I would like to be able to drink a few just for social reasons..

It's really about trying a lot. What food or other alcoholic drinks do you like?

BlackwaterPark
08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
It's really about trying a lot. What food or other alcoholic drinks do you like?

Dont enjoy seafood at all. Drinks or alcohol?

Drinks I like about everything, except Cherry Coke.

Alcohol, for now, my drinks of choice are soco and lime, crown and coke.

zitothebrave
08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
You may enjoy like a barrel aged Belgian. Or something along that line yo bring in the familiar flavors. You can also go to a good beer bat and order a flight of beers. Will let you try a large variety and sampling them can give you an idea of a style you may enjoy

zitothebrave
11-14-2013, 10:56 AM
This thread needs to be bumped. Some new beers I've had lately.

Heady Topper - fantastic imperial IPA. Almost impossible to get but well worth it.

Dogfish sixty one - very interesting. Only real way to describe it. Slight flavors of both an IPA and wine.

I will update with a few more recently

Carp
02-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Zito and Meta, I'm sure you'll be glad to know I'm venturing out from my usual cheap lite beer. Trying some Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat and some Derailed Black Cherry Ale tonight. Really digging the Black Cherry Ale.

zitothebrave
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
That's impressive, maybe next your boyfriend will order you a zima :snort:

Carp
02-01-2014, 12:25 AM
What do you recommend then? Still hate dark beer and and the last time I tried an IPA I hated it.

goldfly
02-01-2014, 01:45 AM
my beer shelf in the fridge right now:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1604627_716562671552_2110593655_n.jpg

zitothebrave
02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
What do you recommend then? Still hate dark beer and and the last time I tried an IPA I hated it.

Drink whatever you choose, I'm just busting your balls, but if you don't like "dark" beers or IPAs I'd recommend pilsners, lagers, cream ales, pale ales, and Kolschs.

zitothebrave
02-01-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm sad I won't be able to get Hopslam this year, I could make the hop across the Delaware or get a friend from PA to get it but this year just won't happen since I won't be back inJersey this month most likely.

goldfly
03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
had someone mail me my white whale of beers recently.

opened it today for the first time

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1912333_725419886622_1389872697_n.jpg

great f'n beer and wish i could get it easier than the 2 years it took for me to get my hands on it. I understand why it is always ranked in the top 10 (if not higher) beers in the world year in and year out
also picked this up for April 6th

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/998930_726067359082_823495050_n.jpg

jpx7
03-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Not sure where you operate, but Three Floyds is my backyard. We could/should organize some beer trades.

And yea: Zombie Dust is ****ing incredible.

Have you had Apocalypse Cow, though?

zitothebrave
03-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Not sure where you operate, but Three Floyds is my backyard. We could/should organize some beer trades.

Once I can figure out a place where I can steadily get Heady Topper, I would be interested in talking about making a highly rated IPA for highly rated IPA trade. Best part about Heady, when you get it it's stupid fresh

zitothebrave
03-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I guess I could discuss beers I've had recently too.

Nothing as fun as Zombie Dust.

I've got a bottle of Chocolate Indulgence from Ommegang sitting in my "cellar" (which is the darkest dryest most temperature steady part of my apartment) excited to have that shortly. I picked up Otter Creek's seasonal sampler, and Citra Mantra is my favorite IPL that I've had. I'm not a huge fan of that style usually. I feel like it's a cheap way to get some more sales by taking a clean beer and then jazzing it up with hops. But this one was great. Didn't care that much for the other beers in the sampler. Copper Ale was OK, Session IPA was really good but it's no All Day IPA, and their black IPA was too much black not enough IPA.

yeezus
03-19-2014, 09:28 PM
There are just so many options.
My girlfriend's brother turned me on to Lagunita's Little Sumpin' Sumpin, which I really liked.
I've been drinking Samuel Smith's Oatmeal as well.
And a lot of free River Horse, of course. Their Oatmeal Milk stout and Lager are just awesome.

zitothebrave
03-19-2014, 09:51 PM
There are just so many options.
My girlfriend's brother turned me on to Lagunita's Little Sumpin' Sumpin, which I really liked.
I've been drinking Samuel Smith's Oatmeal as well.
And a lot of free River Horse, of course. Their Oatmeal Milk stout and Lager are just awesome.

Lagunitas Sucks is one of my favorite beers I've tried somewhat recently. It spawned from a screwed up batch of Brown Shugga.

Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries out there. Nothing I've had from them sucks.

jpx7
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Lagunitas Sucks is one of my favorite beers I've tried somewhat recently. It spawned from a screwed up batch of Brown Shugga.

Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries out there. Nothing I've had from them sucks.

Yea, Sucks is really damn good.

So glad Lagunitas is opening a second brew-works here in Chicago.

Tapate50
03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZoTJzh13n8

goldfly
03-20-2014, 11:04 AM

i am down. i would love a steady hook up for Zombie Dust

not sure what you are looking for that you might not be able to get up there. i live in Georgia
haven't had Apocalypse Cow, through 3 floyds as well?

jpx7
03-20-2014, 11:13 AM

not sure what you are looking for that you might not be able to get up there. i live in Georgia

Has Cigar City made it to Georgia yet? Terrapin's a brewery from them parts that I like a lot and can't acquire up here.

Apocalypse Cow is Three Floyds, and one of my absolute favorites in their rotation; here's their own description, from their list of regulars (http://www.3floyds.com/our-beers-2/):

Apocalypse Cow
11.0% ABV 100 IBUs

This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

It's sitting at 94/100 on BeerAdvocate (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/46080/), but I'd definitely rate it higher than that—with the bonus that, unlike Zombie Dust, it ages quite well.

goldfly
03-20-2014, 11:23 AM
some cigar city stuff is here

and yeah, terrapin is easy to get my hands on their stuff

will talk some more about some trades then man

zitothebrave
03-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Has Cigar City made it to Georgia yet? Terrapin's a brewery from them parts that I like a lot and can't acquire up here..

Do you get a good supply of Victory out there?

goldfly
03-20-2014, 11:58 AM
get a good amount of victory in GA

gilesfan
03-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I broke open a couple Coor's lights last night. They were fantastic.

jpx7
03-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Do you get a good supply of Victory out there?

Yea, Victory's pretty well represented here, at least in terms of their primary line.

zitothebrave
03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
get a good amount of victory in GA

I know they distribute all over the place, but some of their stuff is harder to find, like Hop Wallop and Dirt Wolf when you get outside of their core area. I can find some stuff up in NH from them (golden monkey, hop devil and seasonals usually) but haven't found some of the rarer ones. Positive up here though, easier to find Ommegang and Allagash, which is good during the impossibly long winters.

jpx7
03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I know they distribute all over the place, but some of their stuff is harder to find, like Hop Wallop and Dirt Wolf when you get outside of their core area. I can find some stuff up in NH from them (golden monkey, hop devil and seasonals usually) but haven't found some of the rarer ones.

I've seen / tried all of those except DirtWolf, which sounds pretty damn great.

zitothebrave
03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I've seen / tried all of those except DirtWolf, which sounds pretty damn great.

Dirt Wolf is fantastic, I got some of it's first or second run, I don't know which one I like more out of it and Hop Wallop. Though I loved when I went to Victory and they had Hop Wallop on Handpump with some hop variety dry hopping in it.

yeezus
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
I'd be willing to join in this craft exchange. There are a lot of great breweries around me.

zitothebrave
03-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I don't want to do the exchange since my family is from NJ so I do my own exchange of beer from up here for beer from down there when I visit or someone visits me.

But do you get Boat Beer cans near you yeezus? If so I can't recommend it enough as part of an exchange. Maybe my favorite NJ beer you can get outside of a bar.

jpx7
03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm assuming none of you guys have access to Half Acre? What about Revolution? Two Brothers?

yeezus
03-21-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm assuming none of you guys have access to Half Acre? What about Revolution? Two Brothers?

I could look up where to find it around me.

Picked up Lagunita's Cappuccino Stout last night. Delicious beer.

jpx7
03-21-2014, 10:43 AM
I could look up where to find it around me.

They're all Chicago breweries (or, in the case of Two Brothers, DuPage county), but I'm not sure how extensively they distribute, if at all, outside of the Chicagoland market. There all three very good breweries that bottle/can—really, Half-Acre and Two Brothers are tremendous, and Revolution is working its way in that direction—so I brought it up in the spirit of indicating there's a lot more than Three Floyds in this area.

Knucksie
03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Everybody should read this, because it's well worth the time:
http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Not surprising that the high volume brews are less healthy than drinking piss. Then, there's wisdom in praising Reinheitsgebot, the German purity law. They knew hundreds of years ago what was healthy. As a consumer product, a lot of beer is becoming like cigarettes. Tobacco, in and of itself, is probably not that harmful to the human body, but it's the additives that are the main carcinogens. It's the same as here with beer. Adding lime is the only thing that makes Corona half-way drinkable. It otherwise tastes awful, and not coincidentally is dangerous. Disappointed about Guinness and Foster's.

Would've liked to have seen a more comprehensive investigation, but this is still useful information. Generally, Stella Artois is my "go-to," but am more of a wine drinker anyway.

jpx7
03-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Adding lime is the only thing that makes Corona half-way drinkable. It otherwise tastes awful

I'm sure there's plenty to complain about with respect to what goes into Corona, but the reason it "otherwise tastes awful" without the lime isn't because of ingredients, per se, but because of the clear glass in which it's bottled and sold.

Hops contain and impart to beer substances called isohumulones, which are photoreactive and degrade into much less palatable compounds when exposed to excessive amounts of light. Since Coronoa is packaged in clear glass—which is much cheaper than, say, brown- or green-tinted glass—it is especially susceptible to this process, which creates "skunking." Adding a lime—now a fetishized component of the Corona experience—was originally a very necessary step to combat skunky flavors.

Interestingly, Miller gets around this whole issue with High Life because they've genetically engineered a proprietary strain of hops that possess non-photoreactive isohumulones.

jpx7
03-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Looks like I'm (finally) going to Dark Lord Day.

Carp
03-26-2014, 10:44 PM

I would be interested well. Live in Southeast,TN ut travel to Nashville and towards Atlanta frequently. Sounds like a cool idea

jpx7
04-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Favorite new brewery: Off Color Brewing (http://www.offcolorbrewing.com/home).

zitothebrave
04-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Interesting styles. There's a brewpub up here that's kind of similar to that. Lots of german styles. Few Czech as well.

zitothebrave
04-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Sierra Nevada IPA Sampler is well worth the sample. I love Torpedo but I also really enjoyed their Snow Wit. I mean the concept rocks super hard and I like the execution as well. Would probably bring a bit more hoppy nose to it if it was me but it's hard to balance that with the Belgian Yeast

Carp
04-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Just tried Sierra Nevada Hefeweizen tonite. Pretty solid beer

Heyward
04-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi guys.

Beer stinks.

Bye :Alone:

zitothebrave
04-20-2014, 10:14 AM
And you wonder why no one likes you.

Heyward
04-20-2014, 11:11 AM
And you wonder why no one likes you.

That's not why.

Carp
04-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Anyone tried Yazoo, out of Nashville? Pretty good local brewery. I'm a big fan of their Hefe and Pale Ale.

Carp
04-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Widmer Hefeweizen

I'm a big fan of this as well. Great tasting beer.

But still haven't found an IPA I actually enjoy as of yet. Tried Lagunitas IPA and hated it

Hawk
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
IPAs are basically the only beers that I drink.

Dogfish 120 is my Moet.

zitothebrave
04-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Dogfish 120 is my Moet.

120 is great but it's hardly the best example of an IPA. It's more like what happens if you throw an insane amount of malts and hops and see what happens.

I got a beer delivery from NJ today so I have Riverhorse Hop-a-lot-amus, Carton Boat Beer, and Victory's Dirt Wolf. I'm a happy hop head today. This is after I already have some Everyday IPA, Otter Creeks IPL, and the Sierra Nevada IPA sampler.

Hawk
04-22-2014, 11:59 AM
120 is great but it's hardly the best example of an IPA. It's more like what happens if you throw an insane amount of malts and hops and see what happens.

Moet meaning that it is my favorite beer to celebrate with, because I'm basically catatonic after 3-4. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone on the fence in any way about the taste of IPAs.

zitothebrave
04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Well considering that 3 of those is about the equivalent of like 16 shots yeah you should be pretty catatonic. 120 minute is JMO the perfect beer to share with someone. Cause after a while the taste just starts to not be as impactful. We have some bottles aging to see what the flavor and aroma develop to over time.

jpx7
04-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Dogfish 120 is my Moet.

Veuve Clicquot is my Moët.

For beer: I love IPAs, but I've got to have extreme variety. The recent trend of even more APA, IPA, IIPA, et cetera—at the expense of diverse, weird, or under-represented styles—has been pretty disheartening. Case in point: Goose Island just recently did away with their stylistically-diverse seasonal offerings (a kölsch in the spring/summer, an ESB in the fall, a mild in winter) with a seasonally-rotating selection of what are, effectively, IPAs.

Hawk
04-22-2014, 04:52 PM

+1

jpx7
05-30-2014, 04:13 PM
http://blogs.republicanherald.com/eatdrinkbrew/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DirtWolf-12ozBottle.jpg

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Hope you enjoy it. It's my favorite IPA that I can/could easily get. Unlike Heady Topper where I had to know delivery times and unlike Pliny the Elder where my cousin had to know the right people to ask (as he describes it as giving a secret handshake to the right guy behind the butcher counter)

Don't know how it stacks up against any 3 Floyds offerings.

BTW sad I have basically a 0% chance of getting this

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/3-floyds-firestone-walker-release-collaboration-ol-leghorn-barleywine-weekend/

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 06:28 PM

For beer: I love IPAs, but I've got to have extreme variety. The recent trend of even more APA, IPA, IIPA, et cetera—at the expense of diverse, weird, or under-represented styles—has been pretty disheartening. Case in point: Goose Island just recently did away with their stylistically-diverse seasonal offerings (a kölsch in the spring/summer, an ESB in the fall, a mild in winter) with a seasonally-rotating selection of what are, effectively, IPAs.

I agree with your sentiment. I prefer IPAs 99% of the time. But I love my seasonal brews. A heavy IPA in the summer just isn't quite right. I enjoy the session IPAs but they're still heavy on flavor when you need what you'd call a lawnmower beer it's not fitting. Even a pale ale doesn't quite fit. Either a light lager (not adjunct of course), witte, or kolsch is what I want. Come winter while I like my DIPAs, super belgians, imperial stouts, and barleywines rule the world. That being said, IPAs are fall and spring and the days of Summer or Winter where it ain't too bad friendly.

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Last note, came back from NJ with a bottle of Flying Fish's NJ 350 anniversary ale. Haven't tried it yet will get to it probably tomorrow or Sunday. This is the description

English Pale malts and flaked barley meld with blackstrap molasses for a hearty and complex malt flavor. For hops we used Cluster, the first hop cultivated in the US. The beer finishes with the modern Simcoe and Centennial. The latter gives a deep piney flavor and aroma, a nod to a state treasure-the Pine Barrens.

jpx7
05-30-2014, 06:56 PM
BTW sad I have basically a 0% chance of getting this

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/3-floyds-firestone-walker-release-collaboration-ol-leghorn-barleywine-weekend/

DAMN. I hope they release some around these parts: Three Floyds kills it with blonde barleywines: Behemoth is amazing, and one of my favorite (and one of the harder to find) of their products.

Don't know how it stacks up against any 3 Floyds offerings.

We've got to remedy that with some trades.

Hope you enjoy it.

Preliminarily: really liked it. Drank the first two, and just sort of distractedly enjoyed them without really interrogating; going to pay a bit more attention to the finer points when I finish the four-pack tonight.

jpx7
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I enjoy the session IPAs but they're still heavy on flavor when you need what you'd call a lawnmower beer it's not fitting.

One of my absolute favorites for this is Bell's Oarsman: an amazingly light, refreshing, softly tart beer in the Berliner-Weiss-style that I love to session on a hot grilling day. It's rating on Beer Advocate is at least 15 points too low (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/49092/).

I'm also a fan of Ska's Mexican Logger (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/923/5335/) in similar situations, Avery's Prima Pils anytime (obviously), but especially in summer, and Half Acre's Akari Shogun (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18006/81814/) if I want something hoppy, but still light, crisp, and refreshing (the Motueka hops are a bit contributing factor there).

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 07:06 PM
We've got to remedy that with some trades.

Indeed. Unfortunately aside from Hunting down Heady I'm not sure what NH/VT has to offer. The beers I've tried up here are very very meh. Or aren't available in bottles like hill Farmstead Brewery. I'll have to hunt more. As I'm sure some of the bigger ones up here like Otter Creek and Allagash are out there by now.

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 07:19 PM
One of my absolute favorites for this is Bell's Oarsman: an amazingly light, refreshing, softly tart beer in the Berliner-Weiss-style that I love to session on a hot grilling day. It's rating on Beer Advocate is at least 15 points too low (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/49092/).

I'm also a fan of Ska's Mexican Logger (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/923/5335/) in similar situations, Avery's Prima Pils anytime (obviously), but especially in summer, and Half Acre's Akari Shogun (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18006/81814/) if I want something hoppy, but still light, crisp, and refreshing (the Motueka hops are a bit contributing factor there).

For me some of my favorites. Victory Prima Pils, Victory Summer Love, Carton Boat Beer, Troegs Sunshine Pils, Brooklyn Summer, and probably my favorite Allagash White.

jpx7
05-30-2014, 07:28 PM
probably my favorite Allagash White.

Allagash White is so classic I forget to mention it: it's just trusty as hell, in any season. Their tripel is great, as well.

We've actually had Allagash in these parts before I could (legally) drink. I do not believe Otter Creek is out here, however.

zitothebrave
05-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Allagash is a big brewery I know that. I heart them. Four is one of my favorite ales. I had it at a bar on hand pump and I creamed a little.

I think I missed the chance to get Citra Mantra again. It's an IPL that's super hopped with Citra and it is awesome. I'm a little disappointed in their year round offerings, but I love most of their seasonals.

zitothebrave
06-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Picked up a foursie of this badboy and I'm happy

http://www.cdn.sierranevada.com/sites/default/files/content/beers/bigfoot/bigfoot02-nodate.png

zitothebrave
06-15-2014, 08:12 AM
So I'm officially pining for NJ now. Carton Brewing Co. now has 077XX in cans and Monkey Chase the Weasel as well. Monkey Chase the Weasel is a Berliner Weisse nice summer beer.

bravesnumberone
09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Bump.

Picked up a Blue Moon fall variety pack today. Hooray.

zitothebrave
09-06-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm sadly almost out of my NJ beer purchases. But ordered a brewing item to basically just brew my own beers from here on out. Not really happy overall with NH's beer aside from the California ones that get out here.

yeezus
09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm sadly almost out of my NJ beer purchases. But ordered a brewing item to basically just brew my own beers from here on out. Not really happy overall with NH's beer aside from the California ones that get out here.

River Horse is selling $25 cases of their lager at their gift shop. Having my cousin pick me up 2.

zitothebrave
09-07-2014, 06:23 PM
River Horse is selling $25 cases of their lager at their gift shop. Having my cousin pick me up 2.

They have a new IPA coming out later. I'm unsure if it's a rebranding of Hop Hazard, or if it's a new offering to compete with the Session IPAs. Anyway I like their other hopped offerings so I am curious as to how it tastes.

I forgot if I asked but have you been to their new brewery?

yeezus
09-11-2014, 06:58 AM
They have a new IPA coming out later. I'm unsure if it's a rebranding of Hop Hazard, or if it's a new offering to compete with the Session IPAs. Anyway I like their other hopped offerings so I am curious as to how it tastes.

I forgot if I asked but have you been to their new brewery?

I have not. Have to make it soon.
I'll ask him about the IPA, I don't know myself.
He's getting me two free cases of the lager. Anyway I can send you a 6 pack?

yeezus
09-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Zito, do you want a 6 pack of lager?

zitothebrave
09-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the offer but I should be getting a hookup via my booze exchange with my brother. I give him awesome mead he gives me beer. It's a weird time to be releasing the lager though as it's now fall which is more of an Oktoberfest time so your lagers should be getting heavier.

yeezus
09-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the offer but I should be getting a hookup via my booze exchange with my brother. I give him awesome mead he gives me beer. It's a weird time to be releasing the lager though as it's now fall which is more of an Oktoberfest time so your lagers should be getting heavier.

Yeah, they don't really "release" their lager, I guess. They're only selling it at the brewery right now.

zitothebrave
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Yeah, they don't really "release" their lager, I guess. They're only selling it at the brewery right now.

He's supposed to be going to the brewery shortly. Or maybe he's already went, haven't touched base with him in a bit.

yeezus
09-12-2014, 11:13 AM
He's supposed to be going to the brewery shortly. Or maybe he's already went, haven't touched base with him in a bit.

My cousin's own recipe for their Brewer's Reserve Berliner Weiss is being sold right now, too. He had made it at home for years, I guess refining it. But it's delicious.

edit: I should say, any Berliner Weiss you get from them will be his recipe.

zitothebrave
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Nice. I'll see if my brother can get it.

Carp
09-12-2014, 01:12 PM
What is Berliner Weiss? Is it similar Hefeweizen?

zitothebrave
09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
What is Berliner Weiss? Is it similar Hefeweizen?

Not really. They're both wheat beers, but there are many differences between the 2. Hefeweizens are made with specific strains of yeast that produce banana, clove or other desired flavors, usually in the 4-7% ABV Berliner Weissbier starts semi-similar as it's also a bottle conditioned beer, the difference between the 2 though has to do with the yeast, Berliner Weisses use lactobacillus (thanks google spell check) to create a sour beer and it's ABV is 2-5%. Basically while Hefeweizens are usually classified by their sweet flavor, Berliner Weissbier is classified by it's tartness.

Runnin
10-22-2014, 01:49 AM
This time tomorrow I'll be at a World Beer and Wine Festival in Huis Ten Bosch, Japan. Any suggestions?

zitothebrave
10-22-2014, 10:58 AM
This time tomorrow I'll be at a World Beer and Wine Festival in Huis Ten Bosch, Japan. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure who'll be there. But pretty much anything belgian, from big name US brewers wou may be there, Stone, Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, and Lagunitas are all awesome, but my suspicion is most of the US options iwll be crafty.

zitothebrave
10-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Augie Carton really makes me miss my old stomping grounds. Guy is amazing at his job.

http://vimeo.com/108661187

Runnin
10-28-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure who'll be there. But pretty much anything belgian, from big name US brewers wou may be there, Stone, Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, and Lagunitas are all awesome, but my suspicion is most of the US options iwll be crafty.
Unfortunately, the "festival" was a bit of a sham. It was way more theme park attraction than actual beer and wine event, which I should've suspected.

The all U can drink package actually only had 5 brands, so I went with wine instead, which had no time limit and over 100 to choose from. I learned that there are some white wines I actually like.

DjGrizz
10-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Just went to our local brewfest. Our area is littered with great new startup breweries. Had a blast!

zitothebrave
11-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Just went to our local brewfest. Our area is littered with great new startup breweries. Had a blast!

Beerfests are always fun. Especially if you go with a large group. I'm trying to coordinate with some friends to have a big group go to AC Beerfest.

bravesnumberone
11-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Trying out Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin today.

zitothebrave
11-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Trying out Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin today.

Probably my favorite Pumpkin beer. When bringing beer back to NH from NJ, I had to limit myself because well, I'm not an alcoholic, but I elected to go with Hipp-o-lantern instead of Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin as a take home. Because I got myself a 4 pack of Weyerbacher Heresy (far and away my favorite winter beer) and I didn't want to double dip on a brewery.

Also tried out Troegs Hop Knife while down there, really ****ing good. Sadly didn't get a chance to do any brewery tours, but did brew up a batch of a Heady inspired IIPA, so really excited to see how that turns out.

bravesnumberone
11-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Probably my favorite Pumpkin beer. When bringing beer back to NH from NJ, I had to limit myself because well, I'm not an alcoholic, but I elected to go with Hipp-o-lantern instead of Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin as a take home. Because I got myself a 4 pack of Weyerbacher Heresy (far and away my favorite winter beer) and I didn't want to double dip on a brewery.

Also tried out Troegs Hop Knife while down there, really ****ing good. Sadly didn't get a chance to do any brewery tours, but did brew up a batch of a Heady inspired IIPA, so really excited to see how that turns out.

I enjoyed it. The store also had the Dogfish Punkin so I figured I'd get my fill on pumpkin beers before transitioning to the winter stuff the next time I get to drink.

zitothebrave
11-17-2014, 11:23 PM
I really like Punkin too. I like the pumpkin beers that are great beers with pumpkin inspired or pumpkin flavors. At he backbone of Punkin is a great brown ale. Backbone of Weyerbacher is an impoerial stout.

I really like Pumpking with it's heavy spices as well, but it's massively overpriced.

Krgrecw
11-21-2014, 07:45 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/21/beer-wine-app/#more-353775

Has anyone tried this App? Not sure if it's on android but the App is getting grand reviews

Next Glass is a free iPhone app that uses your own personal taste preferences to predict how likely you are to enjoy a beer or wine you’ve never tried before. If you’re buying for a dinner party or other social occasion, you can link to friends using the same app and it’ll show you how much they’ll like it too …

Brilliant idea.

zitothebrave
11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
It's on android as well, I was mulling over it yesterday but reviews are not kind to it. Several people reporting that the database is weak. Then I also realized 2 other things, first where's the fun in trying something new if something tells you you will like it, as a beer nerd I'd rather formulate my own opinion. Second is that this is taking the Google appraoch to learning about craft beer and wines. Instead of learning things yourself, you're relying on computers to tell you things. If you spend some time you learn to associate food flavors with beer flavors you'll be able to make guesses. Also fro the dinner party approach there's a way better way. Variety. Have 8 or 10 different bottles of wine, have several samplers of beer as well as a case or so of one of the usual suspects.

I think the idea is strong, but the execution leaves much to be desired and the craft aficionados won't attach themselves to it as they worked hard to develop their tastes. It's great for casual users though.

goldfly
11-26-2014, 12:52 AM

yeezus
11-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Cousin picked me up a growler of River Horse's Oatmeal Stout aged with raspberries, vanilla, and oak chips. Can't decide if I wanna enjoy that bad boy as a pre-game for Thanksgiving Eve, or Friday before heading to Flyers game.

Metaphysicist
11-26-2014, 09:22 AM
In Beijing there is a great little brewery called Great Leap (link). After being deprived of good beer for so long, I almost decided to move to China after having their stout.

MrShwag
11-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Monday Night Brewing - Blind Pirate (http://mondaynightbrewing.com/beers/blind-pirate/)
Uinta Brewing - Detour Double IPA (http://www.uintabrewing.com/archives/uinta-deviates-from-original-detour-double-ipa-pacakging#)
Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA
Ballast Point Brewing Company - Sculpin IPA
Terrapin Beer Co - Hopsecutioner
Sweetwater Brewing Company - iPA

and two recent delights,

Southern Tier Brewing Company - Creme Brulee (http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/creme-brulee-beer-page/)
and
St.Bernardus Abt 12 Quadrupel (http://www.sintbernardus.be/stbernardusabt12.php?l=en)

zitothebrave
11-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Sculpin IPA is maybe my favorite well up there.

Stocked up for Thanksgiving. Got the Southern Tier Fusebox (IPA, PMX and Porter, haven't had PMX but I liked Phin and Matt's) and Sierra Nevada's Snowpack (Pale Ale, Porter, Coffee Stout and the new Boomerang IPA) and a woodchuck mixer for the ladies. And I got myself a 4sie of Dirt Wolf to consume tonight.

MrShwag
12-06-2014, 06:36 PM
..and just had a 32 oz. Lagunitas Sucks. Pretty much effin' rules.

jpx7
12-07-2014, 10:41 PM
..and just had a 32 oz. Lagunitas Sucks. Pretty much effin' rules.

I love that beer; it was great seasonally in six-packs, but it's been even more of a boon year-round in the 32.

Related note: Little Sumpin' Wild is ****ing the tits.

zitothebrave
12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
I love that beer; it was great seasonally in six-packs, but it's been even more of a boon year-round in the 32.

Related note: Little Sumpin' Wild is ****ing the tits.

I'm not a huge fan of Little Sumpin' Sumpin, but I love Little Sumpin' Wild.

jpx7
12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Little Sumpin' Sumpin, but I love Little Sumpin' Wild.

Same. I think it's decent, and I'll drink Little Sumpin' Sumpin' every once in a while—say if it's the best thing in bottle at a dive, or something—but Little Sumpin' Wild is a few orders of magnitude superior.

Carp
12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Enjoying a nice Sweetwater Waterkeeper Hefeweizen at the moment. Pretty friggin good for an American hefe. Anyone recommend any good Pale Ales or seasonal Stouts to try out? I tried Terrapin's Liquid Bliss (chocolate and peanut butter). It was devine.

keithlaw
12-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Enjoying a nice Sweetwater Waterkeeper Hefeweizen at the moment. Pretty friggin good for an American hefe. Anyone recommend any good Pale Ales or seasonal Stouts to try out? I tried Terrapin's Liquid Bliss (chocolate and peanut butter). It was devine.

Terrapin's Wake and Bake blows Liquid Bliss out of the water. If you can find it their French Toasted WnB is good too.

jpx7
12-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Terrapin's Wake and Bake blows Liquid Bliss out of the water. If you can find it their French Toasted WnB is good too.

Speaking of Terrapin, I recently tried a couple I really liked: the Pineapple Express, which is definitely a little out there but is really an excellent execution of its stated intention, and the Hi-5 IPA, which is much more straightforward but a damn refreshing, super bright, hoppy-but-restrained West Coast-style IPA.

zitothebrave
12-08-2014, 08:12 PM
I like Hopsecutioner from Terrapin.

As far as Carpe's post, my favorite stout for Winter is Weyerbacher's Heresy. Imperial Stout aged in Whiskey Barrels? How can you go wrong?

As far as best winter seasonals, that's subjective. Hard to guess what's in TN.

keithlaw
12-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Wake and Bake seems to defy the law of diminishing returns

Knucksie
12-12-2014, 09:53 PM
We have a local microbrew that holds its own.

Flying Bison Rusty Chain.

Look it up. Try it, if you can find it.

zitothebrave
01-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Little slow on the posting of this, after I came back from Christmas from NJ I brought back 5 beers. Carton Boat, Carton 077XX (believe I've talked about these before) Carton Epitome, Riverhorse IPA, and Weyerbacher Old Heathen.

I'm extremely happy with all of the purchases. Boat is a fanatastic lawn mower. Though this time of year I'd call it a pregamer. 077XX is an exceptional IIPA. Up there with Pliny, Heady, and Abner (hope I'm remembering the right Hill Farmstead) Though maybe a hair behind them. Epitome is the best black IPA I've ever had. Forever I thought it would be Wookey Jack, but it beat it out. It's perfect. First you get the sweetness from the malts and the sweet citrus burst of the hops, then it follows with the bitterness of the roasted malts and the intense hopping. So fantastic. I regret only getting a 4 pack as this would be my winter beer of choice. Holy **** it's special. Riverhorse IPA is nice and light. It's not marketed as a session IPA but I view it's flavor profile as that. Probably reminds me closest of Loose cannon but with a bit more malt back bone. Weyerbacher Old Heathen is so nice. Heavy Stout with lots of heavy stout flavors. I don't get why everyone is so into injecting other flavors in stouts like Coffee, Chocolate, and Milk. While I like those too, a nice bitter beer is also quite nice.

Last I want to throw a shoutout to my brother and I we brewed an IIPA that is super dank. We dry hopped the **** out it. You can see the hop particulates floating in it. It smells sooooo good and tastes even better. Kudos to us for brewing a fantastic beer.

BedellBrave
01-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Been enjoying this Wee Heavy recently when my diet allows: link (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036/)

An old standard: link (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28/63/)

And most any good Stout will do.

Also, our town-area now has 4 microbreweries putting out some good stuff.

zitothebrave
01-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Backwoods Bastard is a winter classic.

goldfly
02-02-2015, 02:01 PM
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/goldfly66/917D3D36-7018-4076-87D4-6A094AA340CC_zpsllwejqu3.jpg

Recent pick ups

zitothebrave
02-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Let me know how the IPL is. Can't find it in less than a 12 pack up here and I was recently banned from buying beer until I drank all of mine

goldfly
02-04-2015, 04:03 AM
will do

picked up 14 Hopslams today as well

finally got shipped here

zitothebrave
02-08-2015, 10:53 PM
BTW if anyone uses Untapped, my sn is hoppyhoppyhippo

And on the beer front, Six Point Hi-Res is very nice.

jpx7
02-09-2015, 02:08 AM
BTW if anyone uses Untapped, my sn is hoppyhoppyhippo

I haven't used Untapped—how is it? I operate all my **** on BeerAdvocate.

Tonight I finally did a side-by-side of Three Floyds' version of Blakkr (twenty-two-ounce bomber) and Surly's version of Blakkr (sixteen-ounce can)—conceived in collaboration with Real Ale (in Texas), but brewed separately at each of the three home-locations and packaged in three distinct fashions (Real Ale released six-packs of twelve-ounce cans). I was shocked to find that Surly's was decidedly superior—relative to both the Three Floyds iteration, either time I've had it (tonight, from the bomber, or back in May, on tap at Owen & Engine), and to the Surly version when I had it on tap about a month ago in Minnesota.

zitothebrave
02-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Untapped is like facebook for boozers. Basically a good way to keep track of what people are drinking in a pretty simple 5 star rating system. I utilize it primarily as a tracking system for what I've drank. It's hardly up to date, but it's a good way to look back. I'ts all really fun to do at a beerfest, it's fun to see things go down hill.

Interesting that they did the collaboration that way. I'm used to the ones made the same way, like Saison Du Buff.

jpx7
02-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Untapped is like facebook for boozers. Basically a good way to keep track of what people are drinking in a pretty simple 5 star rating system. I utilize it primarily as a tracking system for what I've drank. It's hardly up to date, but it's a good way to look back. I'ts all really fun to do at a beerfest, it's fun to see things go down hill.

Interesting that they did the collaboration that way. I'm used to the ones made the same way, like Saison Du Buff.

I'll have to check out Untapped, when I have a bit more time. For a while, I used BeerAdvocate almost entirely for quick-reference I was prevaricating on what to buy at the beer store, but for the past year or so (and much more assiduously, in the past few months) I've been posting reviews—in part because I've found that when I make myself take notes on a rare, hard-to-find, elusive, or otherwise exclusive beer, I'm much less likely to sit on it for forever and a minute out of respect for its rarefied or ephemeral nature.

And yea: this was a really interesting way to pull off a collaboration, three-way or otherwise. I talked to a Surly brewer at the Savor festival last May in DC, and they were really excited about the process: all three groups of main brewers met up, experimented, composed the recipe; then they all went back to their respective breweries, did their thing on their home-equipment, and packaged in the size and style with which they were most comfortable (glass bomber for 3F, four aluminum 16s for Surly, six aluminum 12s for Real Ale). The distinctiveness of each is a real testament to the delicacy and deliberation of the recipe—but also a good referendum on how important minor details can be in the realization of the end-product, even between top-flight brewers/breweries using the exact same recipe.

gilesfan
02-09-2015, 09:06 AM
These breweries are popping up everywhere now, but I haven't been to any. I guess every Joe Blow thinks he can make good beer and run a business.

zitothebrave
02-09-2015, 09:16 AM
These breweries are popping up everywhere now, but I haven't been to any. I guess every Joe Blow thinks he can make good beer and run a business.

We see it happen with restaurants, why not breweries?

jpx7
02-10-2015, 02:11 AM

http://i.imgur.com/qs9p188.jpg

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm really looking forward to Gilesfan's response. Should be amusing and unenlightening.

yeezus
02-10-2015, 07:43 AM

stick to miller lite there champ.

gilesfan
02-10-2015, 09:13 AM
We see it happen with restaurants, why not breweries?

Restaurants fail at an extremely high rate (25% in just the first year). Im going to guess that will happen with breweries as well. They have an interesting dilemma; try to sell to local restaurants (who you then compete with if you open up for business) or try to stay as a distributor.

People think opening a business is easy. Simply making good beer doesn't mean you can run a successful business.

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Restaurants fail at an extremely high rate (25% in just the first year). Im going to guess that will happen with breweries as well. They have an interesting dilemma; try to sell to local restaurants (who you then compete with if you open up for business) or try to stay as a distributor.

People think opening a business is easy. Simply making good beer doesn't mean you can run a successful business.

You're correct in that regard, but most of the people opening breweries aren't 20 something kids who homebrewed for a few years. They're people who had other careers, and then decided to ditch them for a brewery. ANd Breweries do fail. We're on a craft bubble now where the market is expanding at a pretty rapid rate and there really is no major brand loyalty in the craft market (like ther eis in the macro market) so there's plenty of space for small guys to step in and deliver the goods. Cause of prohibitive liquor laws in the US they'll never open as often as restaurants so you'll never see the failure rate go that high.

I like the idea of small breweries covering small areas, it adds a charm to an area. For example, you can't get Hill Farmstead outside of a pretty small area of Vermont, same with The Alchemist and it does add a bit of charm to that area. I think the same thing happened with Carton and Kane in NJ. Not everyone needs to become Stone, Victory, Rogue, Bell's, New Belgium, etc. I like the idea of craft staying small and staying weird. I know that the market usually crushes that so I'm enjoying it for as long as humanly possible.

gilesfan
02-10-2015, 10:02 AM
You're correct in that regard, but most of the people opening breweries aren't 20 something kids who homebrewed for a few years. They're people who had other careers, and then decided to ditch them for a brewery. ANd Breweries do fail. We're on a craft bubble now where the market is expanding at a pretty rapid rate and there really is no major brand loyalty in the craft market (like ther eis in the macro market) so there's plenty of space for small guys to step in and deliver the goods. Cause of prohibitive liquor laws in the US they'll never open as often as restaurants so you'll never see the failure rate go that high.

I like the idea of small breweries covering small areas, it adds a charm to an area. For example, you can't get Hill Farmstead outside of a pretty small area of Vermont, same with The Alchemist and it does add a bit of charm to that area. I think the same thing happened with Carton and Kane in NJ. Not everyone needs to become Stone, Victory, Rogue, Bell's, New Belgium, etc. I like the idea of craft staying small and staying weird. I know that the market usually crushes that so I'm enjoying it for as long as humanly possible.

But, these breweries are popping up everywhere. Like 5 within a 2 mile stretch near me.

There is one called O Connors, who did it really legit by learning the craft for a long time. He has been in business for a few years now and I'm sure will succeed. (has his beer in restaurants and grocery stores, etc.) Some of these other clowns are "man I made a home brew, now I'm going to open a business!"

jpx7
02-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Some of these other clowns are "man I made a home brew, now I'm going to open a business!"

And those brewers will learn the ropes or learn the hard way that they rushed into commercial brewing. Not sure why this arouses such seemingly-personal animosity out of you. Does one of these tenderfoot brewers owe you money?

yeezus
02-10-2015, 12:12 PM
And those brewers will learn the ropes or learn the hard way that they rushed into commercial brewing. Not sure why this arouses such seemingly-personal animosity out of you. Does one of these tenderfoot brewers owe you money?

Because it's liberal hippies and their damn fancy beers in giles' 'Merica tryna step in on his FREEDOM to drink ****ty beer.

yeezus
02-10-2015, 12:17 PM
I know a lot of people who have homebrewed. Not a single one of them thought, after one beer, that they could open and run a business. Most brewers are much more intelligent than that and realize the difficulty in brewing. Opening and running a brewery is much tougher than opening and running a restaurant. I'm sure some, possibly many, will fail. Many businesses do. Most successful business owners failed at some point. Yeah, I'm not sure where the angst comes from. Who cares? It's just something that giles doesn't understand or care for, therefore he tries to **** on it.

yeezus
02-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Some of these other clowns are "man I made a home brew, now I'm going to open a business!"

And this bothers you because ________________.
And you know that's what happened because __________________________.
I can assure you an amateur brewer who made one home brew is not opening a business.

gilesfan
02-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Why do you assume I have animosity toward any of them?

jpx7
02-10-2015, 12:29 PM

http://blog.davidhthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/ToneKnob.jpg

yeezus
02-10-2015, 12:31 PM

it's not what you say, but how you say it, clown.

gilesfan
02-10-2015, 12:39 PM
http://blog.davidhthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/ToneKnob.jpg

Why does it offend you that someone would question the need for multiple breweries within a short driving distance of each other?

I actually researched investing some money in one of them, but while researching I came to the conclusion that I think they are oversaturating the market and that once the "newness" of the concept dies down, I believe only the most popular ones will be successful. The ones that are distributing on a regional level and moving toward distribution on a national level. You just aren't going to make much money selling 1-2 $6 beers to men getting off work or wanting to pregame before going out.

yeezus
02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
I know one person that started home brewing and has made it a job. Most people do it as a hobby. Those doing it as a hobby aren't opening breweries. Those opening breweries know their **** and are attempting to make it their career through a business. The same way any business owner does things. That's fine that that's your opinion. I'd think every person opening a brewery wishes to, eventually, have their beer nationwide. However, breweries can be very successful not being nationwide (yuengling for example). The more craft beer, the merrier for craft beer drinkers. This thread isn't for miller lite.

jpx7
02-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Why does it offend you that someone would question the need for multiple breweries within a short driving distance of each other?

I actually researched investing some money in one of them, but while researching I came to the conclusion that I think they are oversaturating the market and that once the "newness" of the concept dies down, I believe only the most popular ones will be successful. The ones that are distributing on a regional level and moving toward distribution on a national level. You just aren't going to make much money selling 1-2 $6 beers to men getting off work or wanting to pregame before going out.

I'm not at all offended, and you're welcome to your opinions—I just noted that it seemed like some personal grievance animated your comments on all these "breweries [...] popping up everywhere now," which—even though you "haven't been to any"—you believe are mostly run by "clowns" who "made [one] home brew" then decided they were ready for commercial production.

As for over-saturation: it depends on the geography of the market. I've been to plenty of larger towns and small-to-medium-sized cities that are packed with breweries, and others that boast a token single operation and couldn't certainly stomach a few more, for variety's sake; likewise, I don't think Chicago's nearly at critical-mass yet—especially since two of the very best of the area's breweries (Three Floyds, in Muenster, IN; Two Brothers, out in DuPage County) are in the suburbs—but there is definitely also plenty of chaff that has sprung up alongside the wheat, hoping to cash-in on the novelty but lacking the cachet and brewing chops to really persist outside of the current bubble.

I also think there definitely is a very real and profitable place for smaller breweries "selling 1-2 $6 beers to men getting off work or wanting to pregame before going out"; though those places usually also offer growler-fills, and may distribute locally and to a limited extent (filled growlers in local groceries, or small batch bomber-bottling, as regional statutes permit), they exist primarily to serve their town and/or base of loyal clientele—and that's a really damn cool thing, as zito alluded, especially since sometimes these purely-local brewers are pretty damn great at what they do. There's charm in it, and—believe it or not—people will pay for charm (and not just hipsters).

In the end, a lot of this will sort itself out in the next decade; beyond just talk of "bubbles" and "bursting", there's the added pressue macro-breweries are placing on the industry by campaigning against the "affect" of drinking craft (cf. Budweiser's Super Bowl commercial) while simultaneously buying up some of the larger craft breweries to strategically poach different markets. If you know beer, and know your area, however, you should be able to invest in some good bets—but if broadening your investment portfolio is your primary motivation in approaching well-made beer, I'm guessing you'd struggle mightily with the first stipulation, in which case all bets are off.

jpx7
02-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I'd think every person opening a brewery wishes to, eventually, have their beer nationwide.

You might think so, but I honestly think some head-brewers are entirely content with staying regional, if not purely local.

I had a chance to talk with the head dude at Odell for about five minutes last year, and when I mentioned I hoped they move into Illinois soon (they distribute to a couple neighboring states to the west), he told me in no uncertain terms that he wasn't interested in expanding their distribution. He also reminded me of this guy:

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/eagleton-ron-parks.jpg?w=650&h=360

Now plans change, of course, and he's just one individual amongst multiple making decisions for Odell; but I don't think we should discount that some of these brewers are so detail-oriented and quality-obsessed that they are happy keeping their operations smaller—sometimes a lot smaller—than nationwide.

gilesfan
02-10-2015, 01:33 PM
I haven't been in one, but I know the players involved in a handful of local ones and have tried a lot of the different beers offered.

Im not sure if this is the case in different locations, but they cannot serve food here so the amount of time a consumer spends in the brewery is limited. Not only that, but they also have to compete with themselves (ie bars that they distribute to) Not sure if any have or allow growler fills.

Actually a decent article...http://beer-runner.blogspot.com/2013/08/are-we-headed-towards-craft-beer-bubble.html

Tapate50
02-10-2015, 01:37 PM
I know one person that started home brewing and has made it a job. Most people do it as a hobby. Those doing it as a hobby aren't opening breweries. Those opening breweries know their **** and are attempting to make it their career through a business. The same way any business owner does things. That's fine that that's your opinion. I'd think every person opening a brewery wishes to, eventually, have their beer nationwide. However, breweries can be very successful not being nationwide (yuengling for example). The more craft beer, the merrier for craft beer drinkers. This thread isn't for miller lite.

I would like to point out the thread is titled "Beer" not "hippy home brews".

I kid I kid.

But seriously, where can I get the best Miller Lite money can buy? draft or bottle? what say ye?

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 08:35 PM
You might think so, but I honestly think some head-brewers are entirely content with staying regional, if not purely local.

Russian River is famous for not expanding. The Alchemist is doing a slow growth rather than losing control of their business to investors for rapid growth. Even then they probably don't want to expand too far out of Vermont, you can tell they pride themselves on being very Vermont.

I think expansion is something most breweries would love, but it's not possible and some people want to keep it small and keep control over therir entire operation.

zitothebrave
02-10-2015, 08:38 PM
I haven't been in one, but I know the players involved in a handful of local ones and have tried a lot of the different beers offered.

Im not sure if this is the case in different locations, but they cannot serve food here so the amount of time a consumer spends in the brewery is limited. Not only that, but they also have to compete with themselves (ie bars that they distribute to) Not sure if any have or allow growler fills.

Actually a decent article...http://beer-runner.blogspot.com/2013/08/are-we-headed-towards-craft-beer-bubble.html

THey're not really "competing" with those bars because they're selling it wholesale. It's a different revenue stream. If people like the beer from the growler at the bar they may go to the brewery. If the brewery is smart, they offer beer you can only get at the brewery. To pick on 2 NJ breweries, Carton has their "tippy" which are test batches of beer and you can't find that outsideof their brewery, Kane does small test batches of things hat you can then try at the brewery. They're 2 places that gladly sell their beer to bars and liquor stores who do growler fills. Wholesale si profitable for both the brewer and the purchaser.

jpx7
02-10-2015, 09:39 PM
THey're not really "competing" with those bars because they're selling it wholesale. It's a different revenue stream. If people like the beer from the growler at the bar they may go to the brewery. If the brewery is smart, they offer beer you can only get at the brewery.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbrfk9mCqs1qiplke.gif

zitothebrave
02-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Troegs Hopback. makes me miss home so much.

goldfly
02-11-2015, 01:06 AM
If the brewery is smart, they offer beer you can only get at the brewery

can't be done as of right now in Georgia under current law

and i am guessing in some other states as well

jpx7
02-11-2015, 01:50 AM
If the brewery is smart, they offer beer you can only get at the brewery.

http://media.fyre.co/zit3YIgQzWIxWKnYyDv7_alg_barack_obama_milkshake.jp g

goldfly
02-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Have this on draft at the house now too btw:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10917106_815526691862_4091157587295067258_n.jpg?oh =3bb962c4ccb950dd89cff3c42d0eafe2&oe=555CCCB1

goldfly
02-11-2015, 01:55 AM
http://media.fyre.co/zit3YIgQzWIxWKnYyDv7_alg_barack_obama_milkshake.jp g

under georgia law you can't buy the beer at the brewery. it has to be sold by a distributor

it's a 3 tier system

it's bull**** and only protects the good old boys. it should be disbanded

zitothebrave
02-11-2015, 02:03 AM
under georgia law you can't buy the beer at the brewery. it has to be sold by a distributor

it's a 3 tier system

it's bull**** and only protects the good old boys. it should be disbanded

If that's the case then Gilesfan's scenario of breweries being competed with by bars who sell their growlers is still wrong.

BTW New Jersey had sort of similar laws not that long ago so there may be hope on the horizon.

gilesfan
02-11-2015, 09:22 AM

and i am guessing in some other states as well

You get the same beer at local bars that you get at brewery here.

Talk to any brewer here. Their number 1 concern is competing with bars; ie the people their purchase their product. Breweries typically close really early for this reason.

zitothebrave
02-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Talk to any brewer here. Their number 1 concern is competing with bars; ie the people their purchase their product. Breweries typically close really early for this reason.

If they can't compete that's their fault. How can someone buying your product be bad for your business?

goldfly
02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

that doesn't really make sense

they are closing cause they can't compete with the people that are buying their product and selling it?

gilesfan
02-11-2015, 01:49 PM
that doesn't really make sense

they are closing cause they can't compete with the people that are buying their product and selling it?

If you are a bar a half mile from Joe Blow brewing company and people aren't coming into your bar to drink Joe Blow Brew because they would rather just go to Joe Blow Brewery, you don't see how this would be an issue?

jpx7
02-11-2015, 02:19 PM
If you are a bar a half mile from Joe Blow brewing company and people aren't coming into your bar to drink Joe Blow Brew because they would rather just go to Joe Blow Brewery, you don't see how this would be an issue?

Then your bar is lame?

gilesfan
02-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Then your bar is lame?

A lame bar that doesn't buy your brew anymore.

jpx7
02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
A lame bar that doesn't buy your brew anymore.

Thereby sending even more customers down the street to Joe Blow Brewing Company.

gilesfan
02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Thereby sending even more customers down the street to Joe Blow Brewing Company.

The volume of sales at the brewery are miniscule compared to other bars.

zitothebrave
02-11-2015, 11:15 PM

So if the Brewery is making money, then why does that bar sale really matter? Either things aren't what you're describing or they ran a ****ty business.

goldfly
02-12-2015, 01:52 AM

why would the bar owner open a bar that close to the brewery?

you want me to feel bad for dumb business people?

your examples are awful btw

gilesfan
02-12-2015, 09:41 AM
why would the bar owner open a bar that close to the brewery?

you want me to feel bad for dumb business people?

your examples are awful btw

It's the breweries that are opening up close to bars. These places are popping up everywhere.......which is exactly my original point.

gilesfan
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
So if the Brewery is making money, then why does that bar sale really matter? Either things aren't what you're describing or they ran a ****ty business.

These breweries aren't going to survive by simply selling beer out of their place.

Runnin
02-12-2015, 10:30 AM
OT - Spout box wine is one of the best inventions I've run across in a while. The wine may not be top shelf but it's very drinkable and very convenient.

http://cdn.ismashphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/6a00e55225079e88340147e3203565970b-pi.jpg

Tapate50
02-12-2015, 10:40 AM
OT - Spout box wine is one of the best inventions I've run across in a while. The wine may not be top shelf but it's very drinkable and very convenient.

http://cdn.ismashphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/6a00e55225079e88340147e3203565970b-pi.jpg

That deserves its own thread entitled "Wine" where you can discuss the ins\outs of the craft boutique wineries only.

goldfly
02-12-2015, 11:00 AM
It's the breweries that are opening up close to bars. These places are popping up everywhere.......which is exactly my original point.

http://i.imgur.com/4Cr0c.gif

zitothebrave
02-12-2015, 11:00 AM
These breweries aren't going to survive by simply selling beer out of their place.

If they're taking that much business from bars around them they can. Either you're not explaining it right, there are other much bigger issues, or you're just making **** up. I've never heard of a bar dropping a brewery because people are getting beer at the brewery. Even if it's a brewpub, it doesn't corner the market on everything.

Knucksie
02-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Wine is more my thing, but when drinking beer, it better be something decent. Usually, that means it must come from England, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Australia, etc.

Abandoned American brews sometime in college, and gave up on the Canadian when Molson got absorbed into Coors. Had a pleasant surprise this year during the summer concert series at Canalside in Buffalo. Their concessions are more than adequate for these events. However, Labatt Blue or Labatt Blue Light seem kind of ordinary. So it was worth it sample Rusty Chain Flying Bison - a completely local brew - for a dollar extra.

http://beerpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Chain_jpg1.png

More good news, some of the supermarkets carry it:

http://www.beerclubguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Rusty-Chain.jpg

So, it's a nice alternative to Heineken or Stella Artois.

jpx7
02-22-2015, 05:31 PM
That deserves its own thread entitled "Wine" where you can discuss the ins\outs of the craft boutique wineries only.

Boxed wine definitely deserves its own thread.

zitothebrave
02-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Wine is more my thing, but when drinking beer, it better be something decent. Usually, that means it must come from England, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Australia, etc.

Abandoned American brews sometime in college, and gave up on the Canadian when Molson got absorbed into Coors. Had a pleasant surprise this year during the summer concert series at Canalside in Buffalo. Their concessions are more than adequate for these events. However, Labatt Blue or Labatt Blue Light seem kind of ordinary. So it was worth it sample Rusty Chain Flying Bison - a completely local brew - for a dollar extra.

There's a massive misconception about American beer that's basically perpetuated because of how terrible bud, miller/coors, etc. are. One of the world's (sadly former) most authorities on beer, Michael Jackson (not that one), said America was better than Europe and a healthy reason for that was there was no real preconceived notions. To pick on IPAs, the IIPAs, the West Coast styles, the East Coast Styles, and all that's in between, the US is entirely open in a way most European breweries are not.

Knucksie
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
There's a massive misconception about American beer that's basically perpetuated because of how terrible bud, miller/coors, etc. are. One of the world's (sadly former) most authorities on beer, Michael Jackson (not that one), said America was better than Europe and a healthy reason for that was there was no real preconceived notions. To pick on IPAs, the IIPAs, the West Coast styles, the East Coast Styles, and all that's in between, the US is entirely open in a way most European breweries are not.

The German beers deserve their reputation as among the world's finest. With Reinheitsgebot, there are no additives. They've been doing it right for hundreds of years! Pilsener is more to my tastes.

Carp
02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Definetly agree about the Germans. They know their beer. I'll take a German Hefe all day long.

zitothebrave
02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
The German beers deserve their reputation as among the world's finest. With Reinheitsgebot, there are no additives. They've been doing it right for hundreds of years! Pilsener is more to my tastes.

For me, the best brewing countries would go 1. USA 2. Belgium 3. Germany. Maybe Britain over Germany as well. SOme really good british brewers. The Reinheitsgebot has one advantage and it stops the adjunct lagers that populate the US shelfs. But it also eliminates creativity. For example, rye beers, one of my favorite, are banned under the Reinheitsgebot. The entire purpose of the Reinheitsgebot wasn't purity, but to have brewers avoid using grains made in bread like wheat and rye.

Water, barley, hops and yeast all make for fine beers, most of the beer I like is brewed that way. But if I want a belgian triple or quad which has candi sugar in it. Not an option in germany. If I want a blueberry lager, not an option, if it's Halloween and I want some Punkin, not an option.

Also it's fair to note, the USA brewers have mastered the German styles. Run through beer advocate. The Bros ratings on all german styles. You find a US brewery at the top alone or tied. For example, in the Dortmunder, Great Lakes Edmund FItzgerald topped Ayinger's best offering. In Eisbock Kuhnhenn topped Schneider, In the german pilsner category 3 US breweries earned a 100, 0 german breweries did (Norway and Netherlands did though) In the Kellerbier, top goes to US, in Maibocks the top beer is a US beer, though not heavily reviewed to so to go to number 2, it's also a US beer, Go to a style you 100% expect German's to own Marzens or the Oktoberfest beers, you have 3 Americans to one German, Munich Dunkel Lager? 1 German and 1 US brewery earned top marks. Munich Helles Lager? Same thing. Rauchbier, USA, Schwarzbier tied at 1 a piece, Vienna Lager? USA.

To drive this point home. 3 of Great Lakes German inspired beers earned Beer Advocate 100s or a 99. US brewers have mastered most of the classic german styles and I think that's because we're not limited to expectations like German brewers are. Miller, Coors and Bud are all founded by German brewers where consistency is the thing that matters.

MrShwag
03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Orpheus Brewing / Transmigration of Souls double IPA: Absolutely amazingly smooth, piney, citrusy 10% ABV double IPA. Get it while you can, where you can - I'm lovin' it!

jpx7
03-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Caldera's Caldera IPA, out of Ashland, Oregon. Very well-executed, very sessionable, very hitting-all-the-marks straight-up American IPA.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit,q_85,d_beer_def.gif/beer_22106.jpg

zitothebrave
03-06-2015, 01:22 AM
35 hours til Philly Beerfest. WOOOO

jpx7
03-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Damn delicious:

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/101/1010516/ninkasi-dawn-of-the-red-india-style-red-ale-L-KJRnaW.png

zitothebrave
03-10-2015, 10:33 PM
My score from NJ in my beer trade with my brother.

6 pack of Spellbound IPA (new brewery), 6 pack of Flying Fish Exit 16, 6 pack of Loose Cannon, 2 Sculpin with Grapefruit, 2 Sculpin with Habanero (really excited to make my Mexican night with that one), 1 077XX (Carton had a shortage, my brother felt bad and gave me his last can as he was heading out this week to get another 4 pack) and a bottle of Flying Fish Exit 3, Blueberry Braggot. Really excited for all of these. I've had most of them but the Sculpins, Spellbound and Blueberry Bragoot. Had the first Spellbound last night when I got in, it's pretty solid. Nothing stands out just extremely well executed.

Then my haul of my own stuff. I built with my girl friend 2 mix 6s and also got a great brewers random 12 pack .Overall love the haul. Got from my choice, Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA, Terrapin Hi-5, DC Brau The Corruption, Founders Breakfast Stout, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot, Du Claw Hop Continuum No 1, Neshaminy Creek Jawn (tried this at Philly BF, it's amazing, and so fun to order), Deviant Dales, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, Du Claw Serum, Troegs Perpetual IPA, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. I knwo my GF picked the last, one and maybe one more I forget. In the random 12, I got Saucony Creek Saucony Session, Epic Escape to Colorado IPA, Slyfox 113 IPA, Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, Smuttynose Winter Ale, Geary's Pale Ale, Lancaster Winter Warmer, Riverhorse Belgian Freeze, Belhaven Brewery Scottish Ale, Dogfish Piercing Pils, Saucony Creek Schnickelfritz, and another Breakfast Stout.

Overall it's a great hoard. I'm planning on going back down in April but doing less of a purchase/exchange. Will still do some but not essentially 2 cases worth. Especially since I plan to go back in June.

The Chosen One
03-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Went to 3 breweries here in my 4 days in San Diego.

Stone Brewery
Societe
Ballast Point

Stone and Ballast were monstrous. My cousins drink for a hobby, and there's like 20+ breweries just in San Diego... anyhow I don't remember what I drank since they bought everything (their mission was to get me destroyed), but I had a great time nonetheless. Also lost my phone. Never have lost my phone before ever. :(

zitothebrave
03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Bring home Pliny the Elder!

gilesfan
03-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Finally went to this one. http://biguglybrewing.com/

Not really impressed at all. Was a little over $5.50 per beer. One of them was decent, I couldn't see myself ordering any of the other 4 ever again. The food truck was really good though.

gilesfan
03-16-2015, 11:09 AM
The best brewery I've ever been to is DuClaw in Baltimore.

The Chosen One
03-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Bring home Pliny the Elder!

Had Pliny the Younger. Was really good.

zitothebrave
03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
I wish I could have PTY but PTE is amazing. Cousin lives in SD and one used to and we did a beer exchange, homebrew for PTE when they came to Jersey.

zitothebrave
03-16-2015, 07:39 PM
The best brewery I've ever been to is DuClaw in Baltimore.

DuClaw is a very solid brewery. I think they miss the mark for technique on a lot of their beer, but they're very creative.

Everyone goes bananas over Sweet Baby Jesus, but it's very mediocre. IT's the kind of beer people who like cosmos would drink. No real backbone, just lots of peanutbutter and chocolate smells and flavors.

zitothebrave
03-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Carton 077XX is just so pimp.

The beer itself is just so freaking fantastic great balance of malty sweetness, hop bitterness and dryhopping dankness. It's only "fault" as a beer is that it's an IIPA with 5 SRM. Where it's per style supposed to be from 8-15. It's kind of nitpicking, but it's something to knock it a little.

But they plain get it. THeir can design is epic. Their tap design on point. They just do everything so well.

Carp
03-19-2015, 02:16 AM
Finally found an IPA I really enjoy. It's actually a Belgian IPA. And the best part? It's brewed right here in Tennessee.

Black Abbey's, Brother Maynard (http://www.blackabbeybrewing.com/main/black-abbey-beers/)

http://www.blackabbeybrewing.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Brother-Maynard.gif

This is my new favorite brewery. Every beer I've tried so far has been fantastic. To my knowledge, I don't think they bottle their beer, so I have to get growlers at a local craft beer shop. If you're ever in Nashville, I highly recommend stopping by this place.

yeezus
04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Stopped by the liquor store on my lunch break today on a whim. Little did I know, Victory's Summer Love just came in this morning. Will probably be drinking this the next ~3-4 months.

zitothebrave
04-04-2015, 10:23 PM
http://neshaminycreekbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/jawn_can_artwork.png

No clue why Ben Franklin is eating a hoagie. But this **** is my jawn!

Nugget may be one of the finest hops out there.

Carp
04-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't that be a Philly cheese steak instead just a hoagie? Just guessing.