PDA

View Full Version : 5/30/15 MINOR LEAGUE THREAD: Webster Latest Indy Find; Wisler On FIREE

rico43
05-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Seth Webster, who was brilliant Friday in ending Carolina's losing streak, is the latest Indy League snatch and grab who might yet be a bona fide prospect. This is the home team release, granted, but the stats speak for themselves that Webster is, if nothing else, a winner. Glad to know this part of the Braves' player development department is still alive and well. Scouting indy league teams is probably a blast, old-school baseball bartering with the small-town owners who know they've got something the big boys wants. Remember Kerry Lightenberg going to the Braves and Greg Olson's team getting a bunch of bats and balls, among other things.

WEBSTER SIGNS WITH BRAVES (May 15)

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. — The two-time defending Frontier League Champion Schaumburg Boomers, are pleased to announce that opening night starter Seth Webster has been signed by the Atlanta Braves. Webster, 25, picked up where he left off in 2014 by twirling seven shutout innings in the season opener Thursday night, allowing just three hits while walking one and striking out six to earn the win in a 2-0 decision. The Louisiana native is expected to make a start in the Braves minor league system as soon as Monday.
A third year member of the Boomers, Webster was a key cog in the Boomers back-to-back Frontier League Championships. The Boomers were 5-0 in all five of the right-hander’s career playoff starts. All five wins also came in series clinching games, the most memorable of which being a winner-take-all wild card game against Lake Erie in 2014. Webster struck out 13 in a 1-0 complete game shutout while allowing just two hits.
The 6-5 hurler leaves Schaumburg with his name emblazoned in the single season and career record books. Webster is the team’s career leader in wins, starts, strikeouts, innings, and complete games. Webster closes this portion of his professional career with a 14-6 record and an ERA of 2.88 in 31 starts which spanned 200 innings. Webster struck out 145 hitters over parts of three years with the Boomers.

SATURDAY GAMES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 1, Columbus 0

WP: Wisler (3-3) 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K.
Carpenter (Save, 1) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Castro 1-4, RBI; E. Perez 1-3, SB (25th); Lavarnway 1-2, 2 BB.

CLASS AA

Pensacola @ Mississippi (26-21), ppd.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 7, Wilmington 0

WP: Waszak (2-3) 6.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
Schrader 1-3, HR (5th), 3 RBI; Odom 2-4, 2B, HR (2nd), 3 RBI; Terdoslavich 1-3, 2B, R, BB; Camargo 2-3, 2B, R.

CLASS A

Game One
Hickory 4, Rome 1

SP: Sobotka 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
LP: Salazar (1-2) 1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER(4R), 1 BB, 2 K.
Albies 1-2, RBI, BB, SB (20th); Daris 2-2, R, SB.

Game Two
Rome 5, Hickory 0

SP: Quintana 4 IP, 1H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.
WP: Gonzalez (1-0) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
Kinman (Save, 7) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Edgerton 2-4, R, RBI; Albies 1-2, 2B, R, 2 BB; Davidson 2-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI, BB; Daris 2-3, RBI, BB.

DSL ROOKIE

DSL Marlins 4, DSL Braves 0

SP: Mora 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
LP: Vega (0-1) 2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
A. Concepcion 2-3, SB; Ter. Josephina 1-3;

smootness
05-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Phenomenal game from Wisler tonight. He and Banuelos are basically ready, particularly Wisler.

Good day for Albies and Davidson as well. They just keep plugging away. Neither has completely busted out yet, but they both should be ready to move up to start next year with the chance to move quickly through the system.

Hawk
05-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Has anyone seen Peraza in CF these past two games? Curious to learn how he's adapting.

Braves1976
05-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Has anyone seen Peraza in CF these past two games? Curious to learn how he's adapting.

I'm watching the game, he just caught the second out in the 9th. But I have only seen him have a few chances in centerfield tonight and none real testing. So I'd say he's looked OK so far but not enough chances to say much.

Carpenter just struckout the last batter to seal the 1-0 Wisler win, he came in after Wisler walked a batter with one out in the 9th (looked like he might have had him struckout a pitch before IMO).

chop2chip
05-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Matt Wisler

5/30/15 STATS (GWN VS. COL)
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
8.1 2 0 0 2 7 0 3.58

Stud.

Deester11
05-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Matt Wisler

5/30/15 STATS (GWN VS. COL)
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
8.1 2 0 0 2 7 0 3.58

Stud.

Man. It's so different following 6-10 starters and pitchers in the minors vs 1-2. If we just infuse a couple more arms and stud bats....the Suntrust era will be amazing!

thethe
05-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Best thing about Wisler is I think he has a very high floor. Like 4th starter material.

Heyward
05-30-2015, 09:45 PM
How exactly does the arb clock stuff work.

Like the Cubs only had to send down Bryant down for 2 weeks to get an extra year of control yet some players need a couple months.

Where does Wisler fit into this?

smootness
05-30-2015, 09:57 PM
How exactly does the arb clock stuff work.

Like the Cubs only had to send down Bryant down for 2 weeks to get an extra year of control yet some players need a couple months.

Where does Wisler fit into this?

It's all about years of service. One year is 172 days on the roster, according to MLB. But you can't accrue more than one year in any given season. So the Cubs waited until there were less than 172 days left on the calendar for the season so that he won't get a full year accrued this year. So no matter how much he plays going forward, he won't be a free agent until he's accrued six full years of service, which can't be until after the 2021 season now. Had they called him up to start the year, he could have accrued one full year this year, which would mean he could have been eligible for free agency after the 2020 season.

For someone like Folty for us, he accrued time last year but is still under a full year. So if he stays up all year, he will end the year with more than one year and can be a free agent after 2020 potentially. But if we send him down before he accrues a full year total,he can't be a free agent until 2021.

For Wisler, he has no accrued time, so the earliest he will be a FA is after 2021 no matter if we call him up now or in August.

The reason some teams wait until June has to do with arbitration. If we called up Wisler now, he could be eligible for arbitration a year earlier than if we wait until into June.

Heyward
05-30-2015, 10:15 PM
It's all about years of service. One year is 172 days on the roster, according to MLB. But you can't accrue more than one year in any given season. So the Cubs waited until there were less than 172 days left on the calendar for the season so that he won't get a full year accrued this year. So no matter how much he plays going forward, he won't be a free agent until he's accrued six full years of service, which can't be until after the 2021 season now. Had they called him up to start the year, he could have accrued one full year this year, which would mean he could have been eligible for free agency after the 2020 season.

For someone like Folty for us, he accrued time last year but is still under a full year. So if he stays up all year, he will end the year with more than one year and can be a free agent after 2020 potentially. But if we send him down before he accrues a full year total,he can't be a free agent until 2021.

For Wisler, he has no accrued time, so the earliest he will be a FA is after 2021 no matter if we call him up now or in August.

The reason some teams wait until June has to do with arbitration. If we called up Wisler now, he could be eligible for arbitration a year earlier than if we wait until into June.

Thanks, so if we called up Wisler now he'd pretty much be a Super-2 with 4 cheap years, and 3 arby years?

jpx7
05-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks, so if we called up Wisler now he'd pretty much be a Super-2 with 4 cheap years, and 3 arby years?

The opposite, I think: three cheapies (including 2015), then four arbitration-eligible years (barring a intervening contract agreement).

Heyward
05-30-2015, 10:51 PM
The opposite, I think: three cheapies (including 2015), then four arbitration-eligible years (barring a intervening contract agreement).

Smh, confusing stuff.

He should be up if they are able to deal Perez if he keeps pitching well though.

Hudson2
05-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Big Wisler fan. If he keeps this up we'll have the best young 1-5 in baseball. Pretty exciting to have a farm system to keep up with.

smootness
05-30-2015, 11:39 PM

I think if we called him up now, it's 3 cheap and 4 arby but if we wait another week or two, it's 4 cheap and 3 arby.

zbhargrove
05-31-2015, 01:12 AM
Man. It's so different following 6-10 starters and pitchers in the minors vs 1-2. If we just infuse a couple more arms and stud bats....the Suntrust era will be amazing!

I agree... I just hate that Sims has fallen so far. I hope he can snap out of it and get back on track. He has just as much raw ability as almost any minor leaguer we have.

Tapate50
05-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Good night on the farm

50PoundHead
05-31-2015, 07:21 AM
I don't see Kevin Josephina on the DSL roster, so he must be headed to the GCL. He was heralded when first signed (along with his older brother Terrence, who is repeating the DSL), but was banged up last season. Curious to see how he does.

Deester11
05-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Seth has a little bit of a low 3/4 delivery and is pretty deceptive. Possibly another Indy contributor. Also, Dian Toscano is now working out at the Braves facilities....probably won't see him in Atlanta soon, but 4 years guaranteed, he needs to get going. I too am intrigued by Kevin Josephina...havent' heard either.

clvclv
05-31-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't see Kevin Josephina on the DSL roster, so he must be headed to the GCL. He was heralded when first signed (along with his older brother Terrence, who is repeating the DSL), but was banged up last season. Curious to see how he does.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Josephina and Ray-Patrick Didder. Didder is a little older (and from the obvious baseball hotbed of Aruba), but have seen his name mentioned as a sleeper and someone to keep an eye on. Ray-Patrick had a .354 OBP in 45 GCL games last season - Bill Ballew mentioned him as a "toolsy guy with some solid projection" and said that the Braves really like him.

50PoundHead
05-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens with Josephina and Ray-Patrick Didder. Didder is a little older (and from the obvious baseball hotbed of Aruba), but have seen his name mentioned as a sleeper and someone to keep an eye on. Ray-Patrick had a .354 OBP in 45 GCL games last season - Bill Ballew mentioned him as a "toolsy guy with some solid projection" and said that the Braves really like him.

My guess is Didder is in the middle IF at one of the positions in Danville. Albies has clearly jumped considerably ahead of Kevin Josephina, but they were both mentioned favorably going into the 2014 short season. The fact that Albies started his career stateside really says something. I would think Alejandro Salazar plays either 2B or SS in the GCL after a decent 2014 in the DSL.

nsacpi
05-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Yepez isn't listed on the DLS roster, so I assume he'll be in the GCL.