PDA

View Full Version : What is the board's take on this video?

sturg33
08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Warning - graphic language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZsUs1yb-s&feature=player_embedded

I have a feeling I know how this one is going to play out. But please note when the cop says that cop safety supersedes the rights of the citizens

thethe
08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Really? Is this the new thing? Try to piss off cops so the public can critique how they respond?

thethe
08-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't believe that civilians should be able to follow police officers.

thethe
08-02-2013, 07:52 PM
The July 4th video was more revealing than this one. This video is just pathetic. Just a couple of kids who want their 15 minutes.

weso1
08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I mean.. the guy was acting pretty suspicious at the beginning. I'm just going to say it... I don't think the cops did anything wrong here unless they really had no reason to pull him over. That's the only issue I have with this video.

Honestly this video made me feel a little bit sorry for cops.

thethe
08-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I mean.. the guy was acting pretty suspicious at the beginning. I'm just going to say it... I don't think the cops did anything wrong here unless they really had no reason to pull him over. That's the only issue I have with this video.

Honestly this video made me feel a little bit sorry for cops.

I don't think civilians should jsut be allowed to follow cops. That just feels wrong.

weso1
08-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't think civilians should just be allowed to follow cops. That just feels wrong.

Oh is that what they were doing? Yeah... that is pretty suspicious. That's reason enough to check things out and see what's going on.

thethe
08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Oh is that what they were doing? Yeah... that is pretty suspicious. That's reason enough to check things out and see what's going on.

Yup, they instigated the whole damn thing. They were just trying to get their 15 minutes. They were promoting their movement. You heard laughter. They were just trying to be tough for the internet audience. The July 4th DWI checkpoint video was well done. This was just pure crap.

sturg33
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Some context:

1. The kids were doing a project to expose cop corruption
2. The cops were aware of this project and knew this individual
3. It is not illegal to follow a police offer. They do it to us

Some issues I had with the cops:

1. They wouldn't let the kid go - even though they had nothing on him
2. They wouldn't let him continue filming - not legal
3. They forced the girl to stay in the car "because he said so" - shutting the door on her face
4. The cops says "cop safety is more important than individual rights"
5. They knew the kid, knew what he was doing, knew he was not a threat or doing anything wrong, and detained him
6. They had nothing on him at all - so they eventually had to let him go. Wasting everyone's time

Some issues I had with the kid.

1. He was annoying as hell

thethe
08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't believe you should just be able to follow police officers. How do you draw the line with surveillance in order to more efficiently commit crime?

Krgrecw
08-02-2013, 09:00 PM
more dip****s.

sturg33
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't believe you should just be able to follow police officers. How do you draw the line with surveillance in order to more efficiently commit crime?

Out of curiosity - why should it not be legal to be allowed to follow police officers?

thethe
08-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Out of curiosity - why should it not be legal to be allowed to follow police officers?

Didn't I just explain why I thought it in the post you quoted?

sturg33
08-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Didn't I just explain why I thought it in the post you quoted?

Maybe, but if so, I'm not quite sure I understand

weso1
08-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Some context:

1. The kids were doing a project to expose cop corruption
2. The cops were aware of this project and knew this individual
3. It is not illegal to follow a police offer. They do it to us

Some issues I had with the cops:

1. They wouldn't let the kid go - even though they had nothing on him
2. They wouldn't let him continue filming - not legal
3. They forced the girl to stay in the car "because he said so" - shutting the door on her face
4. The cops says "cop safety is more important than individual rights"
5. They knew the kid, knew what he was doing, knew he was not a threat or doing anything wrong, and detained him
6. They had nothing on him at all - so they eventually had to let him go. Wasting everyone's time

Some issues I had with the kid.

1. He was annoying as hell

Define project? This was a project for school? The cops were aware of the school project? Just trying to clarify what you mean by project.

It's suspicious as hell to follow a police officer. Doesn't have to be illegal.

goldfly
08-03-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't think civilians should jsut be allowed to follow cops. That just feels wrong.

why not? it isn't like the courts or their superiors are holding cops accountable

actually, they are doing the opposite

so, maybe civilians should follow more cops to make sure they are doing their job correctly and within the limits of the law

Metaphysicist
08-03-2013, 02:29 AM
It's suspicious as hell to follow a police officer. Doesn't have to be illegal.

Thread over.

57Brave
08-03-2013, 06:57 AM
I am no fan of how policing is conducted. Having said that if you follow anyone with intent of finding fault ---- you will find fault

thethe
08-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Maybe, but if so, I'm not quite sure I understand

Lets say in a crazy hypothetical situation a grouping of criminals decides to monitor all police activity by following police cars all day.

Don't you think that might make it easier to commit a crime?

thethe
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
why not? it isn't like the courts or their superiors are holding cops accountable

actually, they are doing the opposite

so, maybe civilians should follow more cops to make sure they are doing their job correctly and within the limits of the law

Absolutely ridiculous. I am no cop defender and acknowledge that something has to be done to weed out the bad ones but civilians following police is just insane.

sturg33
08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Lets say in a crazy hypothetical situation a grouping of criminals decides to monitor all police activity by following police cars all day.

Don't you think that might make it easier to commit a crime?

I mean yeah - that's a fair point. But I still don't understand why a cop can follow me, but I can't follow him.

thethe
08-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I mean yeah - that's a fair point. But I still don't understand why a cop can follow me, but I can't follow him.

There job is to ensure that the safety of the communities within their jurisdiction is being upheld. Now obviously there are a lot of bad cops out there. Nobody is disputing that. However, you can't just sit there and say because there are bad cops out there that we need to change the way all police officers operate. I'm sure plenty of real criminals are apprehended based on the suspicion of trained police officers.

sturg33
08-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Well I want to make sure that cops start obeying their oath. Any exposure of corruption is worthwhile in my mind

goldfly
08-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. I am no cop defender and acknowledge that something has to be done to weed out the bad ones but civilians following police is just insane.

why it is insane? is this not a republic?

being informed about what the people we elect to represent us seems like a good thing

thethe
08-03-2013, 11:32 AM
why it is insane? is this not a republic?

being informed about what the people we elect to represent us seems like a good thing

Yes, nothing bad could result from civilians following police officers all day. You're right.

goldfly
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, nothing bad could result from civilians following police officers all day. You're right.

and bad things can come from giving an unfiltered internet to the people

just cause bad things can happen

doesn't mean you make it illegal cause a few might do something bad while the rest won't

thethe
08-03-2013, 11:37 AM
and bad things can come from giving an unfiltered internet to the people

just cause bad things can happen

doesn't mean you make it illegal cause a few might do something bad while the rest won't

But because a few cops abuse their power we should instantly assume that all cops do it? Got it.

goldfly
08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
oh, gov't should go unchecked in your opinion?

horrible way to run a gov't and the founders would disagree with ya

but you can pretend it is just a few bad apples if you want

thethe
08-03-2013, 11:47 AM
oh, gov't should go unchecked in your opinion?

horrible way to run a gov't and the founders would disagree with ya

but you can pretend it is just a few bad apples if you want

Oh the almighty inflatable founders argument. Such great men those slaveowners were who didn't think woman should vote.

Nobody is saying that its not a problem and nobody is saying it shouldn't go unchecked. The answer though is not for civilians running around taking videos and posting it on the internet.

weso1
08-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Nobody is saying cops should go unchecked, but let's find a way to do it without making their jobs more difficult/dangerous. Keep it legal, but still give cops the right to make sure the people following them aren't a threat.

In a world where cameras are so prevalent this shouldn't be an issue.

elmonthc
08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
**** the police.

The Chosen One
08-16-2013, 01:04 AM
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/1157748_568656126531852_741074934_n.jpg

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Really? Is this the new thing? Try to piss off cops so the public can critique how they respond?

Its not a new thing. Its an internet craze. Theses guys are hoping to get pulled over so they can video tape the encounter and spread with their friends on the internet.

I thought the cop handled it pretty well considering the verbal abuse he got. Cops are just trying to do their jobs and it makes it difficult when you have then internet douchebags that want to waste everyones time. If people are just respectful, guess what, they go on their merry way.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Cops should be checked and they are. That doesn't mean they are all good cops, but there is structure in place to ensure they are doing their jobs. If you want to see how cops go unchecked, go overseas where they stop you and make you give them money for no reason.

sturg33
08-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Its not a new thing. Its an internet craze. Theses guys are hoping to get pulled over so they can video tape the encounter and spread with their friends on the internet.

I thought the cop handled it pretty well considering the verbal abuse he got. Cops are just trying to do their jobs and it makes it difficult when you have then internet douchebags that want to waste everyones time. If people are just respectful, guess what, they go on their merry way.

I see. So we have to be respectful in order to have our rights? Isn't that kind of the definition of a police state? Do what we say or we will make your life miserable.

thethe
08-16-2013, 08:49 AM
I see. So we have to be respectful in order to have our rights? Isn't that kind of the definition of a police state? Do what we say or we will make your life miserable.

A police officers job must seem so easy in your eyes. Do you know what being civil will actually do for real criminals? Cops can't differentiate between one or the other when they are first pulling over someone. They assume the worst and hope for the best.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 09:09 AM

If you don't want to be respectful, then you get treated like ****. That is pretty much common sense, 101.

Being respectful and "doing what I say" are not the same thing.

sturg33
08-16-2013, 09:27 AM
If you don't want to be respectful, then you get treated like ****. That is pretty much common sense, 101.

Being respectful and "doing what I say" are not the same thing.

Why should I be respecting them? Why aren't they expected to be respectful to me? Afterall, they are public servants, and work for me, and are paid for in part by me. Yet I'm supposed to be the one who bows down to them because they want to sit outside my party, or hide behind bushes to hand out BS no seatbelt tickets.

For the record, I'm alsways respectful as I am a nice guy. I only turn into a douche when that respect is not two-sided.

sturg33
08-16-2013, 09:33 AM
A police officers job must seem so easy in your eyes. Do you know what being civil will actually do for real criminals? Cops can't differentiate between one or the other when they are first pulling over someone. They assume the worst and hope for the best.

No I don't think it's easy. But I think it's really easy NOT to detain someone if you have nothing on him. And I think it's really easy NOT to get offended if someone invokes their God given rights on them.

But I'm wrong, we should do whatever they say, no matter the reason, because they are the police and they said so

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 09:34 AM
How was that cop not respectful in the first place? You dont' have to bow down to them, but they are of authority and you should treat them with respect and allow them to do there job (which is to serve and protect you). How does being a jackass help cops do their job?

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 09:35 AM
No I don't think it's easy. But I think it's really easy NOT to detain someone if you have nothing on him. And I think it's really easy NOT to get offended if someone invokes their God given rights on them.

But I'm wrong, we should do whatever they say, no matter the reason, because they are the police and they said so

You act like the cops was asking that person to do something crazy.

sturg33
08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
You act like the cops was asking that person to do something crazy.

He was asking (or demanding) that that person couldn't leave when they had nothing on them. He demanded the girl stay in the car. He wouldn't willingly let them video tape.

All of this is "something crazy"

thethe
08-16-2013, 09:53 AM

I just don't see the issue with momentarily being detained. Obviously, I'm not talking about something even as long as 15 minutes but to do a simple background check and a couple of questions is not out of line. We are among the safest nations in the world and law enforcement contributes to that.

thethe
08-16-2013, 09:55 AM
He was asking (or demanding) that that person couldn't leave when they had nothing on them. He demanded the girl stay in the car. He wouldn't willingly let them video tape.

They had nothing on them at the time. Its part of a cops responsiblity to ensure that they aren't letting a criminal go. After a routine background check and a series of questions they are let go. But, if you want to be dicks to them its just human nature to be a dick back in any way they can be.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 09:59 AM

This was after the person was confrontational.

50PoundHead
08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I thought MadTV got cancelled. Is it back on the air?

sturg33
08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
This was after the person was confrontational.

Not at all... They pulled him over. The kid asked what he did wrong. The cop had no legal answer. The cop asked him to get out of the car. The kid asked if he was being detained. Only then did the kid getn angry and he ad every reason to be angry. It was also super respectful of the cop to slam the car door in the face of the girl.

Metaphysicist
08-16-2013, 10:53 AM
sturg probably thinks the cops who let Jeffrey Dahmer take his escaped victim back home were heroes.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Not at all... They pulled him over. The kid asked what he did wrong. The cop had no legal answer. The cop asked him to get out of the car. The kid asked if he was being detained. Only then did the kid getn angry and he ad every reason to be angry. It was also super respectful of the cop to slam the car door in the face of the girl.

The video starts out with the kid being confrontational. If you don't believe that, then there is no arguing with you.

Basically kids starts these things with cops and are clearly trying to antagonize them, then they run and post them on youtube and try to act like innocent victims.

50PoundHead
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM
The video starts out with the kid being confrontational. If you don't believe that, then there is no arguing with you.

Basically kids starts these things with cops and are clearly trying to antagonize them, then they run and post them on youtube and try to act like innocent victims.

I think the video camera will probably bring down civilization as we know it. And I'm only half kidding when I say that.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Having said that, I would love for people to have cameras when real police injustice happens. Not antagonize cop and waste everyones time so you can circle jerk on youtube.

thethe
08-16-2013, 11:16 AM

And of course all the coward talk was 100% necessary. This **** is such a joke and the fact that people eat this up is pathetic.

Carp
08-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Kid follows the cops trying to provoke them. Then starts screaming at them "Why are you being a bully! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

So they're the bully in this scenario. That makes sense.

And then when the cops try to legally do their job, he screams at them even more

"You know I don't have any Guns! You know I don't have any warrants!"

I guess he wants the cops to not obey the law and give him special treatment because "they know him."

Carp
08-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Actually he told them they could video anything they wanted to if you heard him. When the cop actually did detain him he would not let him have his phone and that is completely legal. The girl had every right to keep video taping from inside the car.

As per keeping the girl in the car, I'm fairly certain the supreme court has ruled on this and the police have every right to either keep the passenger in the vehicle or have them step out as well. And the reason for this is to keep the police officer safe. While the supreme court did say that this did intrude on their personal liberties they found that "as a practical matter, passengers are already stopped...so the additional intrusion upon them is minimal."

So to my knowledge, there is legal precedent to keep the passenger in the car.

Bj1133
08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Why do people have issues with cops? Outside of a couple of times being pulled over for speeding, I've never encountered them. I mind my own business, obey the laws, and have never had much of an interaction with them. Seems like everyone else with half a brain should be the same way.

thethe
08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Why do people have issues with cops? Outside of a couple of times being pulled over for speeding, I've never encountered them. I mind my own business, obey the laws, and have never had much of an interaction with them. Seems like everyone else with half a brain should be the same way.

Exactly. Cops used to bust our balls when I was younger. I grew up and they don't have a part in my life anymore.