PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying the Journey versus the End Result...thoughts either way?

Mrs. Meta
08-03-2013, 01:32 PM
So long story short, I became a Braves (and baseball fan) as a 10-year old in 1996 in Utah...because really, what else is there to do in Utah? Thank the lawd for TBS. :Alone:

But yeah, so it's obvious I've never seen our boys go all the way...as it were :icwudt:

Over the years as a kid, I more than took the division streak for granted, and was subsequently wrecked (on varying levels) come every post-season. After I wanna say the Houston series in 2005, part of me just kinda let go. Thing is, I dunno if that was due to a coping mechanism or aging, but I actually started enjoying the regular season(s) more. Of course, 2006-2009 hardly had their share of enjoyment (remember black June of '06 anyonelol?), but I still felt a change in my fandom fer shure.

In 2010, and although Brooks Conrad's D in the Giants series still sticks in my craw a bit, looking back, I was very fortunate to see that particular Braves team in the playoffs. The aforementioned coping mechanism or change, certainly helped in 2011, and as far as last year goes, it was really even hard for me to say as a fan that we had technically made the playoffs by playing the wild-card game.

So as far as this year goes, assuming we make the "real" (in my mind, at least) playoffs, anything else is gravy to me. Hell, just getting out of the first round would almost be my own personal world series this year.

The Question(s):

a. Is this just a defeatist fan attitude?
b. A coping mechanism for the typical Braves postseason?
c. A product of the aging process, where as a sports fan, you kinda tend to mellow out n just enjoy the seasons as they come?

Just some ****e on my mind at any rate...thoughts? :cooter:

nsacpi
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
A little of all of the above. I also feel the regular season is a better measure of the quality of a team. Post-season is a crapshoot, but I do appreciate the added intensity. The only game that I have a recording of is game six of the 1995 WS. I guess that says something.

BravesBlock
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
B
Just hope the team hits another streak right before playoffs begin. Everyone witnessed what the Cardinals did and it could happen for our team too!

bravesnumberone
08-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Probably B and C. I've been watching since I was seven in 1995 and clearly wasn't old enough to appreciate them winning the WS enough. I remember being at Game 4 in the 1996 WS in the center field upper deck amongst a contingent of Yankee fans when Leyritz went deep. I think the 2005 Game 4 against Houston was kind of the point where I changed a little too. 2010 was one of my favorite Braves teams ever, and I was there when they blew that game in the ninth, which really sucked because I felt we could have won that series, and the Giants wound up winning it all.

In the end, only one team is gonna win its last game in the postseason; we've just gotta hope we're in position to be that team. But we'll still have plenty of good memories to look back on, regardless.

chipchildress
08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I've said many times that being is Braves fan over the years has been amazing. Every year for almost 15 years you got to watch you team win and win and win a whole lot. For six months of the year. What else could you really want?

cajunrevenge
08-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I think its a good point of view and I mostly share it with you. I also became a Braves fan because I lived in a state with no team and the Braves were the only team I could watch every night. It might be because my football team spent 30 years losing that I appreciate it, but I really appreciate that for 20+ straight years the Braves have been serious contenders. We only had 1 year where the Braves were sellers at the trade deadline instead of buyers since 1991. I cant ask anything more from the Braves than to give me a reason to watch. I think I am spoiled in such that I dont think I could watch the games if we went thru a stretch of rebuilding like the Astros are right now. I extremely hate the notion that we have to win the world series or the world will come to an end mentality of a lot of fans. Some of my happiest moments come from watching the Braves and the world series win isnt even my favorite. Sid's slide can never be topped for me. The 2005 season was my favorite year going into the season with Jordesi in the corner outfield with little hope of extending the streak until McCann and Francoeur saved the day.

mfree80
08-03-2013, 03:24 PM
So long story short, I became a Braves (and baseball fan) as a 10-year old in 1996 in Utah...because really, what else is there to do in Utah? Thank the lawd for TBS. :Alone:

But yeah, so it's obvious I've never seen our boys go all the way...as it were :icwudt:

Over the years as a kid, I more than took the division streak for granted, and was subsequently wrecked (on varying levels) come every post-season. After I wanna say the Houston series in 2005, part of me just kinda let go. Thing is, I dunno if that was due to a coping mechanism or aging, but I actually started enjoying the regular season(s) more. Of course, 2006-2009 hardly had their share of enjoyment (remember black June of '06 anyonelol?), but I still felt a change in my fandom fer shure.

In 2010, and although Brooks Conrad's D in the Giants series still sticks in my craw a bit, looking back, I was very fortunate to see that particular Braves team in the playoffs. The aforementioned coping mechanism or change, certainly helped in 2011, and as far as last year goes, it was really even hard for me to say as a fan that we had technically made the playoffs by playing the wild-card game.

So as far as this year goes, assuming we make the "real" (in my mind, at least) playoffs, anything else is gravy to me. Hell, just getting out of the first round would almost be my own personal world series this year.

The Question(s):

a. Is this just a defeatist fan attitude?
b. A coping mechanism for the typical Braves postseason?
c. A product of the aging process, where as a sports fan, you kinda tend to mellow out n just enjoy the seasons as they come?

Just some ****e on my mind at any rate...thoughts? :cooter:

I am also from Utah, but started watching in the 70's. My family are all big fans, and my Father and my Son and I made a trip out to a couple of games earlier in the year. I have also been to a Spring Training game. Saw Freddie Freeman's first ST Home Run as an 18 year old.

Yes. TBS finally made it possible to be a MLB fan without living in an MLB City.

elmonthc
08-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree, utah sux. Though slc punk was a great movie.

But yeah, without tbs im a yankees fan. **** selig for doing away with it.

NYCBrave
08-03-2013, 03:51 PM
As a die hard fan, it can be tough. I just remember the highs and lows of the 2010 playoffs. We were completely dominated in game 1, we went down big early in game 2, only to make a big comeback and win the game late which was thrilling. We had game 3 in our grasp and then lost it in the worst way imaginable. Same thing with 2012 wild card game, we had the game in our grasp and late it slip away from a crucial error and a blown call, it's tough to stomach those types of losses.

I too always think how great it is that we have a team that's built for contention every year, so we have an exciting 6 months to always look forward to. Imagine being a Pirates fan over the past 2 decades? Or Royals?

Mrs. Meta
08-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Haha!

Thank goodness I didn't actually grow up in Utah, moved outta there when I was 12 and have been in Texas ever since.

I shudder to think that if I hadn't found TBS, that I'd probably be a Rangers fan right now; which would be kinda ironic given the Teixeira trade.

thewupk
08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree wit what chipchildress said. Since I've followed baseball I've gotten to enjoy the Braves be competitive almost every year. Yes, the end of the year has sucked pretty much every year but I will take that then the team be in the crapper by the end of May and know the season is lost. Yes I still follow them as I did for the few lean years after the streak but being able to watch or keep up with them everyday and know they are going to compete is awesome.

nsacpi
08-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I too always think how great it is that we have a team that's built for contention every year

As someone who became a Braves fan during the losing years in the 70s, I'm very grateful for this. I do think, however, that a true fan loves the team just as much when they are losing.

BremanFan88
08-03-2013, 11:26 PM
I enjoy the journey because I get to spend it with you fine ****s.

The Chosen One
08-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Even in 2006 when we were not so good and were able to get the Heyward pick, we still made a strong push out the of the all-star break. it was the Mets series that killed us.

In 2008, easily the worst year ever for a Braves fan in recent memory (Glavine and Smoltz season ending injury, Skip...) we were still somewhat competitive despite ending up with a crappy record.

CyYoung31
08-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Even in 2006 when we were not so good and were able to get the Heyward pick, we still made a strong push out the of the all-star break. it was the Mets series that killed us.

In 2008, easily the worst year ever for a Braves fan in recent memory (Glavine and Smoltz season ending injury, Skip...) we were still somewhat competitive despite ending up with a crappy record.

We were just flat out terrible in 2008 thanks to a boat load of injuries and the worst outfield ever assembled. That on top of Smoltz and Hudson injuries, a depleted farm system, plus Skip, and you have an absolutely miserable time to be a Braves fan. I remember thinking we weren't going to be good again for a long time after that season.

50PoundHead
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm all about the journey. I've been a Braves' fan since the late-1950s and have experienced some periods of really lousy baseball. But it taught me to enjoy the game. I know there are a lot of fans who want to make drastic moves to "win it all," but that's such an iffy strategy that I'd just as soon let water find its own level and, with minor adjustments or no-brainer steals (think McGriff trade), get to the playoffs and let the cards fall where they may.