PDA

View Full Version : 6/8/15: GDT - San Diego Padres @ Atlanta Braves (Only one Upton starting)

Pages : [1] 2

thethe
06-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 33m33 minutes ago
#Braves lineup: Peterson 4, Maybin 8, Freeman 3, Markakis 9, Uribe 5, Pierzynski 2, Simmons 6, Cunningham 7, Miller 1

thethe
06-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm getting a bit agitated at how much playing time AJ is getting now.

Why aren't we using this season to find out if CB can hit?

sturg33
06-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Well, you're right that AJ sucks and shouldn't be playing. But I think we're getting our answer about Beth regardless. He's pretty terrible

thethe
06-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Well, you're right that AJ sucks and shouldn't be playing. But I think we're getting our answer about Beth regardless. He's pretty terrible

CB has shown a consistent pattern of struggling in his first go around at every level. I'm not guaranteeing that he will be good at the major league level but I'm willing ot give him more than a handful of AB's to make that decision.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Sure he should be playing... but I think we need to add C to the list of holes to address

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:03 PM

I am not sold on Bethancourt being the future as a starter either, but sitting him for days and playing AJ after his best game including the walk-off homer isn't giving him much of a shot.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Well look at the manager

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Sure he should be playing... but I think we need to add C to the list of holes to address

I don't disagree with adding a catcher, that should be what they do ASAP IMO. Maybe someone like Avila if not Wieters or Lucroy. I like that Avila is left handed because I think Bethancourt will hit lefties okay. So maybe platoon them next year after signing Avila via free agency. But I would much rather have Lucroy or Wieters of course, depending on cost via trade for Lucroy and free agency in Wieters case.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:10 PM

As of now I would agree with this. The shame is that CB didn't get more playing time before the most important draft the Braves have had in the last 5+ years.

Garmel
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM
This is a huge mismatch in our favor(Miller vs. Kennedy) tonight. We've got to take this one.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't disagree with adding a catcher, that should be what they do ASAP IMO. Maybe someone like Avila if not Wieters or Lucroy. I like that Avila is left handed because I think Bethancourt will hit lefties okay. So maybe platoon them next year after signing Avila via free agency. But I would much rather have Lucroy or Wieters of course, depending on cost via trade for Lucroy and free agency in Wieters case.

I don't believe in paying a 30+ year old catcher that much money. Wieters is going to get at least 15+ per year IMO.

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 03:16 PM
I don't believe in paying a 30+ year old catcher that much money. Wieters is going to get at least 15+ per year IMO.

In retrospect, signing McCann wouldn't have been the worst decision in the world. That contract he is signed to is quite favorable.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Lucroy as you know is my first choice, just he might take too much in a trade if even available. Wieters would be my second if not too much money and years, how many years is often more important than the AAV IMO. Further, I would just try to pick-up someone like Avila if Wieters costs too much in money and/or years.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:26 PM
In retrospect, signing McCann wouldn't have been the worst decision in the world. That contract he is signed to is quite favorable.

He is doing a little better than I thought. I think he is helped by Yankees stadium a bit but I still believe that the contract we would have had to offer woul dhave hurt at the back end.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Lucroy as you know is my first choice, just he might take too much in a trade if even available. Wieters would be my second if not too much money and years, how many years is often more important than the AAV IMO. Further, I would just try to pick-up someone like Avila if Wieters costs too much in money and/or years.

Yeah, I would be interested in Wieters if it was a 4 year deal. I feel like he is going to get a 5-6 year deal though.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
CB also has a 236 BABIP in only 26 games. Not saying he's good but he needs a chance to play everyday just to see if he can hit enough to make his defense worth it. He has 5 DRS in only 208 innings this year which is really good.

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 03:29 PM
He is doing a little better than I thought. I think he is helped by Yankees stadium a bit but I still believe that the contract we would have had to offer woul dhave hurt at the back end.
McCann basically does all of the things excellently that AJ does atrociously. Mac would have been nice to have with our young pitching staff.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:30 PM
McCann basically does all of the things excellently that AJ does atrociously. Mac would have been nice to have with our young pitching staff.

And a great mentor for CB.

You can definitely convince me that signing Mac would have been a good move in hindsight.

At the time though we had to see if Gattis could play everyday at cather.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:32 PM
CB also has a 236 BABIP in only 26 games. Not saying he's good but he needs a chance to play everyday just to see if he can hit enough to make his defense worth it. He has 5 DRS in only 208 innings this year which is really good.

AJ is on his way to a worse DRS this year than last, he finished -11 DRS last year and is already -6 DRS this year. Bethancourt 5 DRS is even better when compared to AJ who is quite terrible. I'll be happy when AJ is gone but I don't see anyone giving up anything good in a trade for him.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 03:34 PM
AJ is on his way to a worse DRS this year than last, he finished -11 DRS last year and is already -6 DRS this year. Bethancourt 5 DRS is even better when compared to AJ who is quite terrible. I'll be happy when AJ is gone but I don't see anyone giving up anything good in a trade for him.

The difference between AJ and CB is like the difference between Jeter and Simmons.

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Bethancourt has graded out as a worst pitch framer per BP.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Yea, Mac is one of the better pitch framers in MLB whereas AJ is among the worst. I think watching Mac and Ross here in the past spoiled us a bit. I miss that combo.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:37 PM

I think thats great to look at but is there a normalization impact based on the umpire?

For instance, are certain umpires less likely to give borderline calls than others? I'd imgaine so. Under this assumption then you would have to give consideration to who is umpiring. I don't think something as simple as [# of pitches out of the zone called strikes / # of pitches out of the zone] should be the metric.

Maybe i just need to read up on how they are determining this stat though.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:39 PM

This year? If so it sounds like the mentoring is working wonders even if it is a small sample for Bethancourt.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I think thats great to look at but is there a normalization impact based on the umpire?

For instance, are certain umpires less likely to give borderline calls than others? I'd imgaine so. Under this assumption then you would have to give consideration to who is umpiring. I don't think something as simple as [# of pitches out of the zone called strikes / # of pitches out of the zone] should be the metric.

Maybe Bethancourt really is just listening to AJ, learn from one of the worst and become just as bad. :)

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 03:44 PM

It's hard for him to get anything consistent going when his idiot manager plays him once a week and sits him literally after going 3 for 4 and helping us win our only game in the past 5 games.

thethe
06-08-2015, 03:45 PM
It's hard for him to get anything consistent going when his idiot manager plays him once a week and sits him literally after going 3 for 4 and helping us win our only game in the past 5 games.

Its basically the same thing, to an even worse degree, as to what he was doing to Jace at the start of the season. Look at how much better Jace was once he got regular playing time. I suspect we would see an improvement with CB if he were given a chance.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Let's look on the bright side, maybe our bullpen isn't as bad as they seem. Maybe both our catchers just cannot frame a pitch to save their life. JK. :)

sturg33
06-08-2015, 03:47 PM
I wasn't arguing against playing CB... we should be.

But he's probably a worse player than AJ at this point. And Fredi is (hopefully) fighting for his job.

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Its basically the same thing, to an even worse degree, as to what he was doing to Jace at the start of the season. Look at how much better Jace was once he got regular playing time. I suspect we would see an improvement with CB if he were given a chance.

I don't get it.

On a side note. I'm interested to see what the bullpen ERA is when CB is catching them compared to when AJ catches...if anyone knew how to get, that'd be awesome

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:50 PM

I doubt Bethancourt hits enough even with regular time, but I agree you cannot say for sure till you give him a longer look. You don't sit him for days or longer after his best game. If we don't give him a chance this year when will we?

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 03:51 PM
I doubt Bethancourt hits enough even with regular time, but I agree you cannot say for sure till you give him a longer look. You don't sit him for days or longer after his best game. If we don't give him a chance this year when will we?

Consistency is key.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
I don't get it.

On a side note. I'm interested to see what the bullpen ERA is when CB is catching them compared to when AJ catches...if anyone knew how to get, that'd be awesome

I remember someone posted the overall ERA being a lot better with Bethancourt than AJ weeks back. But I am not sure about just the bullpen ERA nor what the updated overall ERA is right now. But I'll try to look for that later and post if I have time before the draft.

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I remember someone posted the overall ERA being a lot better with Bethancourt than AJ weeks back. But I am not sure about just the bullpen ERA nor what the updated overall ERA is right now. But I'll try to look for that later and post if I have time before the draft.

Thanks man

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks man

It seems the overall ERA is closer now with Bethancourt just a little better (4.28 vs 4.33), see here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/c/sort/catcherERA/count/41/qualified/false/order/false

The biggest difference seems to be Bethancourt's success at throwing out runners vs AJ's lack of success doing so. I'll keep looking to see if I can find just the bullpen numbers for both.

gilesfan
06-08-2015, 04:04 PM

I think it's pretty clear he cannot. But, I would give him the whole season as a starter to see how much he can contribute in the future; even if it's just as a backup.

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 04:07 PM

He's graded out poorly both this year and last year, but you are right to assume the sample size is way too small. A lot of the noise would be shaken out over a couple years of games.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 04:08 PM
@DOBrienAJC 4m4 minutes ago
Triple-A #Braves activated newly acquired LH Dana Eveland, and Kelly Johnson begins rehab assignment at Gwinnett tonight.

@DOBrienAJC 3m3 minutes ago
#Braves released LH Donnie Veal, who was DFA'd last week

Comments: I am looking forward to getting KJ back with us and I kinda feel bad for Veal. I mean it must be rough to get excited twice about making it back to the Majors and also get DFA'd twice in short order and now released.

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't think that is a good way of evaluation. Especially since Beth and AJ catch different SP and your SP effectively determines which RP will pitch.

thethe
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I think it's pretty clear he cannot. But, I would give him the whole season as a starter to see how much he can contribute in the future; even if it's just as a backup.

I'd definitely say its much more likely he can't at this point.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 04:11 PM
He's graded out poorly both this year and last year, but you are right to assume the sample size is way too small. A lot of the noise would be shaken out over a couple years of games.

I thought he looked really bad overall late last season, didn't they write that off as fatigue or something? He sure hasn't been given the excuses so far this year nor been talked about near as highly.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't think that is a good way of evaluation. Especially since Beth and AJ catch different SP and your SP effectively determines which RP will pitch.

Good point, plus since AJ always catches Miller his overall ERA being slightly worse shows that aside from Miller he's not having much success. But keep in mind I was simply trying to find the stats requested.

UNCBlue012
06-08-2015, 04:16 PM
So, Beth has a good game and doesn't get a start?

ramadon101
06-08-2015, 04:20 PM

It's the Braves Way (tm).

goldfly
06-08-2015, 04:23 PM

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Fredi+Gonzalez+Atlanta+Braves+v+Cincinnati+jNeaVdW 9htdl.jpg

Garmel
06-08-2015, 04:24 PM
I'd definitely say its much more likely he can't at this point.

Maybe it's because Bethancourt has oddball swing mechanics. Look at his home run the other night for evidence of that. If he can correct these problems he might be able to hit better.

goldfly
06-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Maybe it's because Bethancourt has oddball swing mechanics. Look at his home run the other night. If he can correct these problems he might be able to hit better.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Fredi+Gonzalez+Washington+Nationals+v+Atlanta+EnC6 SN-6s6Xl.jpg

dak
06-08-2015, 05:16 PM
MU2 is apparently not a Fredi Gonzalez fan (from DOB on twitter) . . .

Melvin Upton Jr on happy to be traded: “Definitely. I got the opportunity to be back with my brother and play for a great manager. Bud Black and the coaching staff, they all played and know what this game’s about"

Heyward
06-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm hoping we deal AJ at the deadline and bring up Lavarnway to replace AJ and use CB as the starter the rest of the way.

goldfly
06-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Melvin Upton Jr on happy to be traded: “Definitely. I got the opportunity to be back with my brother and play for a great manager. Bud Black and the coaching staff, they all played and know what this game’s about"

are there people that are Fredi fans?

dak
06-08-2015, 05:35 PM
are there people that are Fredi fans?

The man has coached for quite some time in this league, and I honestly don't remember a single current or former player praising him. I don't suspect a lot of guys hate him, but he doesn't exactly command respect.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Well, we know that after the ESPN mics picked up him clowning Fredi last year.

dak
06-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Well, we know that after the ESPN mics picked up him clowning Fredi last year.

I must have missed that one. What did they catch him saying?

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 05:40 PM
I must have missed that one. What did they catch him saying?

When BJ got up to pinch run, he referred to Fredi as "the mother****er" and was bitching about Fredi's use of him. It was against the Nationals I think.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 05:47 PM

They call that the Full Hanley.

dak
06-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Nice. In a Fredi versus Melvin dispute, I'm not even sure whose side to take.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 05:56 PM
I'd wager that the only ones that love Fredi are the Braves' beat writers. And that's only because he makes their jobs really easy.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 06:02 PM
The man has coached for quite some time in this league, and I honestly don't remember a single current or former player praising him. I don't suspect a lot of guys hate him, but he doesn't exactly command respect.

I think Dan Uggla likes Freddi

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I'd wager that the only ones that love Fredi are the Braves' beat writers. And that's only because he makes their jobs really easy.

Well, that and teh jokez.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/33040275-d1b2-4cc9-a940-75a89a30e3d4_zps3406f10f.jpg

thewupk
06-08-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm looking forward to Kimbrel closing this one out tonight

thethe
06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm looking forward to Kimbrel closing this one out tonight

Face Uribe in the 8th?

stpeteirish
06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
@DOBrienAJC 4m4 minutes ago
Triple-A #Braves activated newly acquired LH Dana Eveland, and Kelly Johnson begins rehab assignment at Gwinnett tonight.

@DOBrienAJC 3m3 minutes ago
#Braves released LH Donnie Veal, who was DFA'd last week

Comments: I am looking forward to getting KJ back with us and I kinda feel bad for Veal. I mean it must be rough to get excited twice about making it back to the Majors and also get DFA'd twice in short order and now released.

"activate" to the big club or to AAA? Dumping Veal and sending KJ to Gwinnett doesn't open up a spot on the big club's 25 man roster.

"Kinda" feel bad for Veal? Why? he was awful and just being bad would keep you employed with this team.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Face Uribe in the 8th?

Hopefully in the 8th

UNCBlue012
06-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Markakis.. Get that out of here. You're giving a ball you should of hammer 400 feet out of here.

USMA76
Looked up "warning track power" and saw a photo of Markakis.

Garmel
Nick almost hit one out.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Nick almost hit one out.

Boomkaki-tease?

UNCBlue012
06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Wow Shelby.

Great at-bat, but he did not mix it up well there. Right over the middle.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Eight foul balls and then rips a double...ouch.

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Please keep Maybin.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Peterson-Maybin combo produce again. Good job boys. 1-1

thewupk
06-08-2015, 07:16 PM
It's pretty funny that one of the few Braves hitter of the past decade it seems that actually comes here via trade or FA and and doesn't suck is considered a salary dump.

UNCBlue012
I LOVE MAYBIN

thethe
Please keep Maybin.

^

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Small ballin

UNCBlue012
KAKIS POWER

Braves1976
LOL @ Kemp in the OF. :)

jsebe10
Good piece of hitting, Nikki

thethe
Nick power!

Man, if this team only had some BP arms....

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Small ballin

Surprisingly better than big ballin

sturg33
Markakis with bullet bloop double

sturg33
Surprisingly better than big ballin

Do you think?

thethe
Markakis with bullet bloop double

Oh Sturg....

thewupk
06-08-2015, 07:22 PM
LOL @ Kemp in the OF. :)

worse than Markymark?

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:22 PM
I swear thethe should apply to be a broadcaster or beat writer for Braves

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:23 PM

I'd love to be a beat writer for one of my favorite teams...

This year is just so much sweeter because of the doom and gloom offseason.

USMA76
With Kennedy approaching 80 pitches in the third inning, it'd sure be nice to get to their bullpen early in the first game of the series--and put them at an "arms disadvantage" for the remaining two games.

thewupk

Anyone is better than Bowman

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:24 PM

Yes, when expectations are brought down so much, we celebrate mediocrity

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Anyone is better than Bowman

I like Bowman more DOB

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Oh Sturg....

I'm greedy. I'd like to have Peterson, Cam, and Markakis at the top of the order followed by Freddie and another legit power bat.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm greedy. I'd like to have Peterson, Cam, and Markakis at the top of the order followed by Freddie and another legit power bat.

I'm definitely on the Maybin train... By far the best deal of the offseason

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Yes, when expectations are brought down so much, we celebrate mediocrity

Missing the big picture yet again..

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Hopefully Uribe and Kelly can give us something this year.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Missing the big picture yet again..

Is that what you think?

USMA76
06-08-2015, 07:27 PM

How 'bout manager?

thewupk
06-08-2015, 07:29 PM

I dunno. Last year we had the hope and expectation of contending. Even if that ended horribly I would still rather go through that then with no hope of contending.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I am just noticing this, but Miller's follow through looks exactly like Max Sherzer to me

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:46 PM
I dunno. Last year we had the hope and expectation of contending. Even if that ended horribly I would still rather go through that then with no hope of contending.

For me its more exciting to watch a team that I know has a bright future.

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Jace is so smooth at second base. I don't want to move him off of that position.

thethe
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Maybin should be in the future plans. Need to figure out 3B and C for next season.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Jace is so smooth at second base. I don't want to move him off of that position.

Between Uribe, Simmons, Peterson, and Freeman, I'd like to think our infield has a lot fewer holes than most even if Freddie doesn't have the greatest range in the world.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Between Uribe, Simmons, Peterson, and Freeman, I'd like to think our infield has a lot fewer holes than most even if Freddie doesn't have the greatest range in the world.

Uribe basically plugged the entire hole himself

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
It's pretty funny that one of the few Braves hitter of the past decade it seems that actually comes here via trade or FA and and doesn't suck is considered a salary dump.

Both Maybin and Uribe.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Uribe basically plugged the entire hole himself

Defense aside, he's sure looked awful at the plate tonight.

CrimsonCowboy
06-08-2015, 08:01 PM
What was that, Juan?

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 08:01 PM
After that interview, why do I get the feeling that Roy Clark probably likes to attend cocaine parties with Chip.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Mike Trout is one home run away from being the answer to the trivia question.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Both Maybin and Uribe.

The baseball gods are smiling on us

thethe
06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
The baseball gods are smiling on us

Maybe because the devil (Wren) is no longer with the organization!

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:09 PM

In all seriousness, it's impressive how quickly we've managed to overcome so many of Wren's boneheaded moves. Our main "sucking chest wound" that remains is the bullpen and, unfortunately, I don't see that one healing quickly.

thewupk
06-08-2015, 08:09 PM

That must be it

thethe
06-08-2015, 08:10 PM
In all seriousness, it's impressive how quickly we've managed to overcome so many of Wren's boneheaded moves. Our main "sucking chest wound" that remains is the bullpen and, unfortunately, I don't see that one healing quickly.

Can't fix a disaster in one offseason. But, the majority of it has been fixed and if they get this draft right then we will be quickly back to contending for a world series.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Heady play by Uribe.

stpeteirish
06-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Doesn't look like we'll need much from the dreaded bullpen tonight.

thethe
06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I can't believe how good Shelby Miller is....

thethe
06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
We need Maybin in RF next year. Markakis is not good there.

jpx7
06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Markakis: the triple-maker.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 08:19 PM

Markakis, stolid, triple-maker

thethe
Thank the heavens for Simmons.

CrimsonCowboy
Simmons is such a weapon in the field

WaitingFor2017
06-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Let Shelby go another inning.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 08:20 PM

After that, my next one needs to be a double for sure.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Thank the heavens for Simmons.

Always.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Anyone else notice that when Fredi gets the ball at the end of an inning... he always throws it to another player?

My paranoia wonders if it's because he's quietly protesting and doesn't want to be the one to give fans the baseball.

I do not remember him doing it last year

sturg33
06-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Markakis should have gotten an error for that play. But perhaps that will help him win another gold glove

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 08:23 PM
That play blew a question for me in the YNOT. Thanks, Nick.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Cheap "hit" for Chris Johnson but an add on run here would be nice.

weso1
06-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Anyone else notice that when Fredi gets the ball at the end of an inning... he always throws it to another player?

My paranoia wonders if it's because he's quietly protesting and doesn't want to be the one to give fans the baseball.

Worst protest ever

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Insert Benny Hill music to accompany the Padres defense in this inning.

thethe
06-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Reaching.....

sturg33
Worst protest ever

lol I don't know... just seems odd to me.

sturg33
Reaching.....

What would I be reaching for?

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 08:28 PM
lol I don't know... just seems odd to me.

It's for the kids, man. Getting a ball tossed to you by a player is so much cooler than getting one from
:FrediWut:

thethe
Damn, liked that they didn't bunt there with Maybin. oh well

cajunrevenge
Still love you Cameron.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 08:30 PM
It's for the kids, man. Getting a ball tossed to you by a player is so much cooler than getting one from
:FrediWut:

Sorry - just realized I spelled it wrong. Was referring to Freddie Freeman

weso1
06-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I actually think Fredi made the right call there, but just oh well.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Freddie walks on ball five.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I actually think Fredi made the right call there, but just oh well.

Agreed no reason to bunt Maybin there.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
"Quackenbush comes on with three ducks on the pond."

Stop it Chip, you're killing me...

CrimsonCowboy
06-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Are you kidding me?

WaitingFor2017
06-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Should be 5-1

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 08:39 PM
My paranoia tells me that Freddie was also protesting on that play.

weso1
06-08-2015, 08:40 PM

I actually buy this one.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 08:41 PM

You read my mind

NinersSBChamps
Are you kidding me?

What happened?

Braves1976
Good AB by Uribe, should've had an RBI or two.

weso1
06-08-2015, 08:42 PM
What happened?

Uribe hit a routine grounder up the middle and Freeman dove for the ball to try and stop the SS from making a play on it.

CrimsonCowboy
06-08-2015, 08:43 PM
What happened?

What looked to be a two run hit for Uribe hit Freeman on the base path

UNCBlue012
06-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Idiot bullpen

weso1
And here comes the pen.

USMA76

That could be a huge (mis) play in this game.

WaitingFor2017
06-08-2015, 08:46 PM
The bad Jim Johnson has been around recently.

NinersSBChamps

Thanks.

UNCBlue012
@mlbbowman: The #Braves will take RHP Mike Soroka with the 28th pick

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Eddie Vedder time.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:01 PM
You can tell Kimbrel wishes he was still a Brave.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Screwed by the ump on (what should've been) strike three.

CyYoung31
...And I wish he was too...

Braves1976
I figured Grilli would blow his next save chance because he hasn't pitched enough.

UNCBlue012
06-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Wow. He was struck out.

weso1
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Freeman's inability to dodge a snail may come back to bite us.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Horrible AB by Middlebrooks.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Can't believe "Melvin" is being booed in Atlanta.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I hope Melvin gets picked off.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
LOL - here we go again.

CrimsonCowboy
Good grief

Five
Lmao

USMA76
I hope Melvin gets picked off.

...or not--smh

Garmel
This keeps keep getting better and better.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Figures.

Five
****ing disgusting.

thethe
Just a stupid decision to try and pick someone off there. Wow.

USMA76
Un-effing believable.

57Brave
f nnn Freddie

jpx7
Ha.

WaitingFor2017
Even the "reliable" back end of the pen was s*** tonight.

Julio3000
06-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Melvin Upton. New team, still a pinch-runner.

UNCBlue012
We have a team full of idiots that don't even care about winning. WHAT DUMB MISTAKES. Another easy win thrown away.

WaitingFor2017
LOL at Melvin almost getting out at home plate for "cruising" on home on an easy sac fly.

USMA76
Oh, well, it just gives us a chance for another walk off win (ever the optimist).

CrimsonCowboy
Can Soroka and Allard join the bullpen tomorrow?

CyYoung31
Okay, regardless if this is a lost season or not, I can't watch this bullpen anymore.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:11 PM
LOL at Melvin almost getting out at home plate for "cruising" on home on an easy sac fly.

Yep. He really is a jackass.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 09:11 PM
The inning breakdown didn't go as expected, but I figured a blown save was coming from Grilli after he sat a while.

WaitingFor2017
06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
2 errors tonight; both made by pitchers.

weso1
06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Not super pumped about matching bullpens with the Padres in extras.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
2 errors tonight; both made by pitchers.

Plus an error that won't show up in the box score on Freeman's baserunning brain fart.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
We have a team full of idiots that don't even care about winning.

Do you actually believe this? You say it every game.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
The good news is this will improve our draft position next year for another pitcher

weso1
06-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Do you actually believe this? You say it every game.

They're all protesting.:Bowman:

stpeteirish
06-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Terdo better learn to pinch hit if he expects to make a living in the majors.

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Ugh.

weso1
06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Ugh.

Nick Masset got this. Relax.

57Brave
06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Freddie mis managed the bull pen again. Wondering how long this can go on.
Freeman better learn how to run bases. That is a mistake that "we" cant have.
F nn Freddie

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Time for the Masset hound. Not looking good.

sturg33
06-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Is Masset considered our third best guy?

Garmel
06-08-2015, 09:22 PM

I'd say Cuniff is.

WaitingFor2017
06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks to Gyorko for swinging at that garbage. Masset nearly walked a guy with a <.600 OPS.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Leadoff man strikes out on a cap bill high pitch when Masset was doing his best to walk him.

JusticeForAll23
06-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Eh, I think everyone in our bullpen is considered about our 7th best guy.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Eh, I think everyone in our bullpen is considered about our 7th best guy.

...on a AAA pitching staff.

weso1
06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Peterson made that play look easy.

57Brave
06-08-2015, 09:26 PM
When Kimbrell comes in (and he will)

first pitch a fastball ?

do you sit on it ?

57Brave
06-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Raise your hand if you chastised the manager for not leaving Cody martin in a game the other day.

I have a new name for the bullpen

SUNOCO

CyYoung31
06-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Did Joe seriously just say that Justin Upton wasn't a sure thing coming into this year?

sturg33
06-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Raise your hand if you chastised the manager for not leaving Cody martin in a game the other day.

I have a new name for the bullpen

SUNOCO

I'm assuming Fredi G is a democrat

sturg33
06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
I think if the Braves acquired Billy Hamilton he might steal like 13 bases for the season

USMA76
Thinking about how many games this bullpen has blown absolutely fries my brain.

...and of course it all started with a leadoff walk.

WaitingFor2017
Another winnable game down the toilet.

57Brave
06-08-2015, 09:42 PM
careful sturg - i was scolded once for crossing forums

UNCBlue012
So many easy wins that we just screw over. So many.

thethe
Another winnable game down the toilet.

I guess we will have a better pick next year.....silver linings...

Braves1976
Who didn't see that coming?

NinersSBChamps
careful sturg - i was scolded once for crossing forums

I was scolded for crossing streams.

CrimsonCowboy
Braves bullpen:
https://nothrowaways.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/stock-photo-5899387-antique-gasoline-can.jpg

chop2chip
06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Are we over the "Cody Martin is good" thing yet? Sorry Dalyn

NinersSBChamps
Who didn't see that coming?

Coming.
There I said it.

weso1
Someone put Dalyn on suicide watch.

CyYoung31
Are we over the "Cody Martin is good" thing yet? Sorry Dalyn

Starting to see why the Braves didn't protect him.

NinersSBChamps
06-08-2015, 09:44 PM
I guess we will have a better pick next year.....silver linings...

Which high school pitcher do we draft?

atl717
Cody Martin is not good. He had a lot of fans here. I dont want Banuelos in the pen, I want him as a starter.

chop2chip
Starting to see why the Braves didn't protect him.

I guess having good stuff does matter no matter how good your control supposedly is.

USMA76
06-08-2015, 09:46 PM
When we meltdown in extra innings, we really do it in style.

blueagleace1
Why was Miller pulled in the 7th after only throwing 94 pitches???? I mean you try to give Fredi the benefit of the doubt with what he has to work with and he even say's "I'm still figuring out what works best as we struggle" but his decisions have been nothing short of atrocious. Simply pathetic.

CyYoung31
Do I want to stay for the ninth to see Kimbrel mow through our lineup?

UNCBlue012
Now avilan too. This BP man. Garbage.

CrimsonCowboy
06-08-2015, 09:47 PM
I swear, I would DFA this entire bullpen and call up seven guys from Gwinnett and Mississippi at this point. How much worse can they be?

chop2chip
I remember this Avilan character from last year too.

ViperVisor
http://i.imgur.com/kyjP3wL.gif

atl717
The most frustrating thing is the ranting and raving about players who are not really doing anything. Like Jace Peterson. Like Cody Martin. Im fine with the rebuild. But people want to pretend we have found a bunch of answers after 60 games. We have a ton of holes.

jsebe10

Oh yea. And watch the Uptons celebrate as if they were ran out of town by abd angry mob.

USMA76
Now avilan too. This BP man. Garbage.

Garbage just called...said he felt insulted.

chop2chip

Might not have to. Doesn't look like it's going to be a save situation.

Garmel
06-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Why was Miller pulled in the 7th after only throwing 94 pitches???? I mean you try to give Fredi the benefit of the doubt with what he has to work with and he even say's "I'm still figuring out what works best as we struggle" but his decisions have been nothing short of atrocious. Simply pathetic.

Knowing what the bullpen's been like there was no point taking Shelby out.

57Brave
06-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Canmt wait until tomorrow to see how FG blew this game.

a) left Cunningham in as the only position player without a hit
b) used no one but JJ and Grilli yet ...
c) had Cody Martin (the version of Tommy La Stella) in a high "leverage situation" where he again got his tits lit

forum favorite didnt get a guy out in the 11th.
2 days ago it was terrible managing

sheeesh

my problem with this is there are knowledge able baseball fans here.
Knowledgeable baseball fans are not a lynch mob -- especially given the team

C'mon guys, up your game

jsebe10
The most frustrating thing is the ranting and raving about players who are not really doing anything. Like Jace Peterson. Like Cody Martin. Im fine with the rebuild. But people want to pretend we have found a bunch of answers after 60 games. We have a ton of holes.

What are you talking about? This team is literally a manager and a decent bullpen away from being in the division lead...

CyYoung31

To be fair, Johnson and Grilli have been good this year.

USMA76

Whoa--we wouldn't have been able to pinch hit with Joey T. if we hadn't pulled Miller.

CrimsonCowboy
Phil the Bucket ‏@Phil_the_Bucket 31s31 seconds ago
Braves decide to use all remaining draft picks on relievers.

blueagleace1
06-08-2015, 09:50 PM
I did some research and it took a while to go through every game but check this out...

The Braves bullpen has blown a lead in 14 of (now) 57 games. Let that sink in.

NinersSBChamps

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52a776e1/turbine/sfl-marlins-fredi-gonzalez-rafael-furcal-blog--001/600/600x400

chop2chip
What are you talking about? This team is literally a manager and a decent bullpen away from being in the division lead...Piggy backing off our earlier debate, we could use a clean up hitter on the roster.

CrimsonCowboy
Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 48s48 seconds ago
Cody Martin posted a 1.54 ERA (2 ER/11.2 IP) w/14 K over his first 10 appearances.

In 11 appearances since, 9.90 ERA (11 ER/10 IP) w/10 K

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Piggy backing off our earlier debate, we could use a clean up hitter on the roster.

Lol. For sure.

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 09:52 PM

Jace Peterson has nothing to do with Cody Martin and last I checked him and Maybin got us the lead tonight. Peterson has played great defense at second and has two hits tonight.

jsebe10
06-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 48s48 seconds ago
Cody Martin posted a 1.54 ERA (2 ER/11.2 IP) w/14 K over his first 10 appearances.

In 11 appearances since, 9.90 ERA (11 ER/10 IP) w/10 K

And was this after he was just randomly sent down to Gwinnette for some odd reason?

CrimsonCowboy
06-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't think I want to watch this

Braves1976
06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Whoa--we wouldn't have been able to pinch hit with Joey T. if we hadn't pulled Miller.

Haha, that was a good one. :)