PDA

View Full Version : 6/9/2015 MINORS TUESDAY FINAL ...SAL names all-stars

rico43
06-08-2015, 11:32 PM
All-star teams are starting to be announced. Rare that Rome has three, but R-Braves got Ozhaino Albies, Joseph Daris and Kyle Kinman added to the Southern Division.

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Norfolk 7, Gwinnett 5

LP: Wang (2-6) 4 IP, 8 H< 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
Eveland 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Hunter 2-4, 2B, RBI; A. Garcia 2-4, 2 R; E. Perez 1-4, SB; K. Johnson 1-4, 3B, 2 RBI.

CLASS AA

Mississippi (31-25) @ Montgomery, ppd.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 14, Potomac 10
7-run second off Gil; 7-run 8th for Mudcats!

SP: Gil 1.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
WP: Tate (1-0) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
Curcio 4-5, 2 R, RBI; Godfrey 3-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI; Schrader 3-6, 3 2B, R, 2 RBI; D. Peterson 2-5, 2 R, HR (5rh), RBI; Odom 1-5, 2 R, HR (2nd), 4 RBI.

CLASS A

Asheville 8, Rome 5

SP: Beech 6 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.
LP: Marte (0-1) 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.
Albies 3-5, 2 2B, 2 R (.323); Davidson 2-3, 2B, BB; Edgerton 1-3, HR (3rd), 2 RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Pirates 6, DSL Braves 2

SP: Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
A. Concepcion 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI; Ventura 3-5, 2 R, 3 SB (10).

CJ9
06-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Dustin Peterson 2-3 with a homer.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Albies 3-5 with 2 doubles.

18 years old for the whole year with about a 800 OPS.

Yup, not a top 50 prospect.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Eveland with 1.2 IP and 3 K's tonight.

I expect a call up in the next day or so.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Dustin Peterson 2-3 with a homer.

Kid is having quite the break out season. Maybe he gets a shot at Miss this year.

jpx7
06-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Albies 3-5 with 2 doubles.

18 years old for the whole year with about a 800 OPS.

Yup, not a top 50 prospect.

Maybe save the gloating until after he's done this for a full season?

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Maybe save the gloating until after he's done this for a full season?

I'd rather do it in the heat of the moment without any rational thought.

Russ2dollas
06-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Kid is having quite the break out season. Maybe he gets a shot at Miss this year.

if he can defend above a Klesko level he's a top 100 prospect right?

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:27 PM
if he can defend above a Klesko level he's a top 100 prospect right?

Considering his pedigree and performance this year I would think he is in contention.

jpx7
06-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I'd rather do it in the heat of the moment without any rational thought.

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/thumbs/video/2113153/82298667.jpg

Might be sensible to await his actually eclipsing the .800 OPS mark, too (at .781 currently).

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Davidson might walk over 90 times as 18 year old in Rome.

Thats mighty impressive. If that power fully materializes....wow. That is your middle of the order bat right there.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/thumbs/video/2113153/82298667.jpg

Might be sensible to await his actually eclipsing the .800 OPS mark, too (at .781 currently).

Thats prior to his 2 double game tonight.

cajunrevenge
06-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Wait a second, I was told we didnt have good hitting prospects.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:34 PM

Its going to be funny when we have 3 everyday prospects in national top 100 publications.

BUT EVERY TEAM HAS THAT!

jpx7
06-09-2015, 09:43 PM

There's a bit of offensive talent down there, but unfortunately a lot of it profiles the same as what's already upstairs: hitters who are too average-dependent for their offensive value. That's why I'm a bit higher on Smith, though, than Peraza, because his eye and ability to draw walks seems it may be superior.

thethe
06-09-2015, 09:45 PM
There's a bit of offensive talent down there, but unfortunately a lot of it profiles the same as what's already upstairs: hitters who are too average-dependent for their offensive value. That's why I'm a bit higher on Smith, though, than Peraza, because his eye and ability to draw walks seems it may be superior.

Its very early but it seems as if Davidson/Albies are not cut in that same mold. Peraza just hasn't developed the ablility to walk or hit for any semblance of power. It would be in the Braves best interest to trade him to upgrade the major league roster.

Hudson2
06-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Albies ain't no joke. I agree thethe that'd I'd use Peraza and a pitcher and get a stud 3b or Lf'er.

cajunrevenge
06-09-2015, 10:20 PM

I don't really agree with that. Peraza I grant you. Mallex has had a good walk rate in the minors but I don't expect that to carry over to the majors. Those 2 sure. Albies/Braxton have shown elite ability to draw walks. Peterson has drawn a ton of walks so far. Ruiz has had a good walk rate at every level too.

50PoundHead
06-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Big comeback in Carolina tonight. 7-run 8th leads to a 14-10 win.

Braves1976
06-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Big comeback in Carolina tonight. 7-run 8th leads to a 14-10 win.

Yea, both Atlanta and the Carolina Mudcats had big comebacks tonight. I actually watched most of both games too (watched Carolina via my MILB.tv account).

zbhargrove
06-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Edgerton starting to hit homeruns now... would be very interesting if he could develop some consistent HR power. He has already been an RBI machine... if he could develop consistent power, he would shoot up some lists.

thethe
06-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Edgerton starting to hit homeruns now... would be very interesting if he could develop some consistent HR power. He has already been an RBI machine... if he could develop consistent power, he would shoot up some lists.

This is from frangraphs at the start of the year:

32. Jordan Edgerton, 3B: Edgerton was almost completely off the draft radar in 2014, going in the 9th round and signing for $115,000 from UNC Pembroke. He put up huge numbers at his DII school in the spring and hit well in the Appy League as a 20-year-old, though he didn’t show much power. Edgerton is a solid defensive third baseman that more of a grinder with a line drive, contact-oriented bat that should produce doubles more than homers. The Braves love his makeup and think they have a steal that could open eyes in Low-A next year.

Tapate50
06-10-2015, 09:08 AM
This is from frangraphs at the start of the year:

32. Jordan Edgerton, 3B: Edgerton was almost completely off the draft radar in 2014, going in the 9th round and signing for $115,000 from UNC Pembroke. He put up huge numbers at his DII school in the spring and hit well in the Appy League as a 20-year-old, though he didn’t show much power. Edgerton is a solid defensive third baseman that more of a grinder with a line drive, contact-oriented bat that should produce doubles more than homers. The Braves love his makeup and think they have a steal that could open eyes in Low-A next year.

So far, they are right.

nsacpi
06-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Randy Ventura with three more hits and three more steals in the DSL. The other DSL player hitting well is Anthony Concepcion who has a OPS over 1.000 so far. He's a bit older (20). Signed from Venezuela. Listed as a catcher but mainly has been used as a DH.

Tapate50
06-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Randy Ventura with three more hits and three more steals in the DSL. The other DSL player hitting well is Anthony Concepcion who has a OPS over 1.000 so far. He's a bit older (20). Signed from Venezuela.Listed as a catcher but mainly has been used as a DH.

Oh. One of THOSE guys.

thethe
06-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Randy Ventura with three more hits and three more steals in the DSL. The other DSL player hitting well is Anthony Concepcion who has a OPS over 1.000 so far. He's a bit older (20). Signed from Venezuela. Listed as a catcher but mainly has been used as a DH.

Who would you say are the best prospects in the system below Rome?

50PoundHead
06-10-2015, 10:33 AM

DSL team looks to be pretty bad at this point.

Whenever Randy Ventura steals a base, the PA announcer (which they don't have in the complex leagues) should play Aziz Ansari's "RAAAAAAAANDY!" soundclip.

nsacpi
06-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Who would you say are the best prospects in the system below Rome?

From last year's DSL team, the best prospect appears to be shortstop Alejandro Salazar. The GCL roster isn't out yet, but my guess he will be there. Jose Yepez was our big signing last July 2. He isn't playing in the DSL, so my guess is he will be in the GCL. He is a third baseman. It will be interesting what they do with him and Austin Riley if they are both on the GCL team.

The best pitchers below Rome are from the past two drafts: Allard, Soroka, Fulenchek. Dilmer Mejia would slot in just below that group.

Danville will have an interesting group of infielders: Didder, Grullion, Azuaje and Dykstra. Plus Pobouchek in the outfield. None of them are first tier prospects but you never know.

50PoundHead
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
From last year's DSL team, the best prospect appears to be shortstop Alejandro Salazar. The GCL roster isn't out yet, but my guess he will be there. Jose Yepez was our big signing last July 2. He isn't playing in the DSL, so my guess is he will be in the GCL. He is a third baseman. It will be interesting what they do with him and Austin Riley if they are both on the GCL team.

The best pitchers below Rome are from the past two drafts: Allard, Soroka, Fulenchek. Dilmer Mejia would slot in just below that group.

Danville will have an interesting group of infielders: Didder, Grullion, Azuaje and Dykstra. Plus Pobouchek in the outfield. None of them are first tier prospects but you never know.

I think Kevin Josephina will also be in the GCL. He was favorably compared with Albies when signed, but Albies passed him and Josephina was injured for most of last year's DSL season.

weso1
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Davidson might walk over 90 times as 18 year old in Rome.

Thats mighty impressive. If that power fully materializes....wow. That is your middle of the order bat right there.

I'm much more concerned about the K's than the power with Davidson.

chop2chip
06-10-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm much more concerned about the K's than the power with Davidson.

The k's are concerning, but he's young for his league and he profiled well as a contact hitter coming out of HS.

I think the high K% is more of a product of continually working deep counts. I haven't read any reports that he has struggled making contact as a professional.

Tapate50
06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Did you mean Paroubeck? Interested in seeing Dykstra progress.

Garmel
06-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Here's a scouting report on Rio Ruiz and what his potential is. Look under the "hit" section to read about some of his mechanics issues at the plate. Perhaps his recent surge shows he's corrected some of these problems. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rio-ruiz-scouting-report/

nsacpi
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Did you mean Paroubeck? Interested in seeing Dykstra progress.

Yes. Paroubeck.

sturg33
06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
The k's are concerning, but he's young for his league and he profiled well as a contact hitter coming out of HS.

I think the high K% is more of a product of continually working deep counts. I haven't read any reports that he has struggled making contact as a professional.

Does anyone know his swinging contact %?

thethe
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know his swinging contact %?

Sadly, I don't think that information is available for minor leaguers.