rico43
06-13-2015, 12:18 AM
SATURDAY RESULTS

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Indianapolis 4, Gwinnett 3

SP: G. Smith 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. (out after
Moylan 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
LP: Kurucz (2-3) 0.1 LP, 1 H, 1 ER, BB, 1 K.
Castro 2-3, 2B, BB; Peraza 2-5; Terdoslavich 1-5, R; A. Garcia 1-2, 2B, R;

CLASS AA

Biloxi 3, Mississippi 0

LP: Mateo (3-3) 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
M. Smith 1-3, SB (.347); Ruiz 1-2.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Winston-Salem 6, Carolina 2

SP: Walters 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
LP: Cabrera (2-2) 1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Tate 1 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
Schrader 1-3, 3B, RBI; D. Peterson 2-4; Curcio 1-2, 2R, SB;

CLASS A

Rome 4, Greenville 2

SP: Sanchez 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K.
WP: Furney (4-2) 3.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 K.
Kinman (Save, 9) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
Krietemeier 1-3, 2 RBI, 2 BB; Albies 2-3, 2B, 2 R, SB; Davidson 1-5, RBI; Mendez 2-3, 2B.

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Mets 2. DSL Braves 1 (15)

SP: Heredia 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.
Mora 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K.
Jesus Jones 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
LP: Vega (0-3) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
A. Concepcion 1-6, Zorrilla 2-7, 2B, 3B, R; Olmos 2-5; T. Josephina 0-6.

MOVES: Gwinnett places Benson, Wang on DL. Alex White assigned to Gwinnett (pitched Saturday).

White was just released by the Houston Astros and the Braves scooped him up only days after. The 26-year-old is a former top 100 prospect, but has fallen off the radar in recent years Alex White had Tommy John surgery in 2013. Add him to the list of Braves pitchers who have had this surgery.
He was drafted in the 1st round of the 2009 MLB draft by the Cleveland Indians out of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The 6’3″, 220 pitcher pitched in the major leagues in 2011 and 2012 with the Indians and the Colorado Rockies.
He has a career record of 5-13 with a 6.03 ERA in his two seasons in the majors as a starter. In the minors, he’s pitched as a starter and a relief pitcher. The Braves could potentially see him as bullpen help. He was 1-5, 5.57 in seven starts for Class AAA Fresno.

50PoundHead
06-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Any word on whether Vizcaino can start working out yet? I read up here in Minnesota that Ervin Santana is now allowed to work out at the Twins' extended spring training facility and hadn't heard anything on Vizcaino.

chop2chip
06-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Any word on whether Vizcaino can start working out yet? I read up here in Minnesota that Ervin Santana is now allowed to work out at the Twins' extended spring training facility and hadn't heard anything on Vizcaino.
I saw DOB tweet that he had been and that the Braves say he's been throwing Really well.

Julio3000
06-14-2015, 12:26 PM
I saw the Rome game. Albies has crazy quick hands. He turned on an inside pitch and banged a double in the gap, then stole third easily.

Davidson leveled off a high mid-90s fastball in his second AB, and generally had the look of a guy who knew what he was doing at the plate. He swung and missed fairly often, but didn't look to be getting fooled.

zbhargrove
06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
I remember when Alex White was drafted... Feel like a ton of people on the board were hoping we would draft him

Edit: I actually wonder if we can turn this guy around... his one stint in the majors with Cleveland was actually decent, given the small sample size. The only other MLB experience he has had was with Colorado. Granted his stats with CO were awful... there are very few pitchers who actually have good numbers pitching there. He has struggled in the minors since coming back from TJS, but again... he's had to play all of his ball in the PCL... I think he's still got some potential at age 27. He was looking really good progression wise until he got to CO.

Braves1976
06-14-2015, 04:16 PM
I remember when Alex White was drafted... Feel like a ton of people on the board were hoping we would draft him

Edit: I actually wonder if we can turn this guy around... his one stint in the majors with Cleveland was actually decent, given the small sample size. The only other MLB experience he has had was with Colorado. Granted his stats with CO were awful... there are very few pitchers who actually have good numbers pitching there. He has struggled in the minors since coming back from TJS, but again... he's had to play all of his ball in the PCL... I think he's still got some potential at age 27. He was looking really good progression wise until he got to CO.

I liked the signing because I remember watching him with Cleveland and was impressed back then (though it was a small sample). Plus as you say his terrible numbers with Colorado are harder to read since Colorado is crazy bad for pitchers. I have seen pitchers dominate outside of Colorado and then when in Colorado be awful pretty much every game. The PCL is tough on pitchers too so it will be interesting to see how he does here. It seems we're trying him as a reliever so maybe he can become a good reliever if not a starter.

zitothebrave
06-14-2015, 06:36 PM

I wanted Alex White. I am not ashamed to admit it. I wanted White or Matzek. I don't recall who I wanted more but Minor wasn't on my radar.

Heyward
06-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I liked White coming out, biased being a Heels fan and all.

But a good low-risk deal.

zbhargrove
06-14-2015, 06:44 PM
I wanted Alex White. I am not ashamed to admit it. I wanted White or Matzek. I don't recall who I wanted more but Minor wasn't on my radar.

I wasn't criticizing anyone who wanted him at all... he was on my radar as well. He still seems like a good pick to me... he had pretty good success at every level of the minors and looked good in limited time with Cleveland at the show... who knows if he could have been a big time pitcher if it weren't for Colorado and TJS

Braves1976
06-14-2015, 06:47 PM

I wanted Miller but I also liked Minor and I got Minor so I was okay with that. I hated it that we trade one of my favorites in Heyward for Miller right at the time we lose Minor who as you know I liked more than most around here (you and I seemed to mostly agree on Minor IIRC). It would've been nice to have both Miller and Minor for a little while (and I figured Minor would go in a trade before the deadline had he stayed healthy). And now it seems Minor will probably be non-tendered after this season. Oh well.

jpack1
06-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Really think we can turn Alex back to his prior good form. Admitting bias because his older brother and I have been friends since grade school. His whole family like a lot of us in the south were big braves fans growing up, so they were excited when the braves called.

But the guy has good stuff but has never got his confidence back since the TJ surgery. He really got screwed up in Colorado when he was there they were going that starter pitch 75 pitches followed by another "2nd starter" follow with 75ish more. The Braves pitching coaches, this year not withstanding, have had a lot of luck getting the most out of these kinds of pitchers.