PDA

View Full Version : 6/14/15 SUNDAY MINORS FINAL ... 4-hit day for Davidson

rico43
06-14-2015, 02:03 AM
SUNDAY GAMES

ALL GAMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Indianapolis 4, Gwinnett 2

SP: C. Martin 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
EYJ 1-4, 3B, R; A. Garcia 1-4, 3B, R; Peraza 1-4, RBI; Terdoslavich 0-2, 3 BB, SB.

CLASS AA

Biloxi 9, Mississippi 0

LP: Hursh (2-5) 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
But Hursh in 6th: 1 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
Ahrens 1-3, BB; Hyams 1-1 (PH) (.333). Only 2 hits!

ADVANCED CLASS A

Winston-Salem 5, Carolina 2

SP: Gil 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
LP: Otero (0-2) 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.
Godfrey 1-4, RBI; Camargo 1-3, R, RBI; D. Peterson 1-3; Curcio 2-4, SB.

CLASS A

Rome 5, Greenville 2 (11)

SP: Beech 4 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
Calceido 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.
WP: Emmons (1-4) 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Kinman (Save, 10) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
Albies 2-5, 2B (.320); Davidson 4-5, 2 2B, 2 Rm 2 RBI (.279); De La Rosa 2-5, HR (3rd), RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Braves, idle.

Garmel
06-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Davidson's BA is going up every time I see it. Good to see.

cajunrevenge
06-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Albies/Braxton are the best 2 position prospects we hack had at the same level since Heywood and Freeman.

Julio3000
06-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I was at that game and pleased to say not one of the 4 was a cheapie. He stung the ball to all fields today.

jpx7
06-14-2015, 08:15 PM
But Hursh in 6th: 1 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.

Shucks.

chop2chip
06-14-2015, 08:25 PM
I was at that game and pleased to say not one of the 4 was a cheapie. He stung the ball to all fields today.

It seems like Davidson is really starting to breakout. I remember his swing got comparisons to Freddie Freeman's when he was drafted. Lofty praise.

jimsnores
06-14-2015, 08:54 PM
It seems like Davidson is really starting to breakout. I remember his swing got comparisons to Freddie Freeman's when he was drafted. Lofty praise.

Yes, and somewhat young for his league, but with great plate discipline (OPB .400+). Power numbers aren't breathtaking, but at his age, not bad, either. I am becoming a little more optimistic about him.

Julio3000
06-14-2015, 09:26 PM

I can't say much of substance about him after two games, but I did notice that he can get a level swing plane on balls all over the zone. He's not as loose as Freddie. He also seems to go up to the plate with a plan—first couple of ABs today were against a lefty, and both times he waited on breaking balls and rapped them between SS and 3rd.

Another thing that was apparent is that Albies looks comfortable and capable at SS. He looked sure-handed and heady, always seeming to know how much time he had to make throws. His arm is surprisingly good for his size.

No one else really stood out for Rome. Edgerton had a nice rip and a good defensive play in yesterday's game (also an error). Connor Oliver had two standout defensive plays, including an over-the-shoulder running grab of a shot to the warning track.

sturg33
06-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Having never seen him - would be fair to hope that Davidson turns into a Nick Swisher type?

Heyward
06-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Albies/Braxton are the best 2 position prospects we hack had at the same level since Heywood and Freeman.

Probably, im not sure what they do with Albies with Simba locked up for awhile, and if Jace keeps progressing, hes good at 2B.

And i think they want some more power at 3B............

thethe
06-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Davidson is about to get real interesring. It will be fun to follow Davidson and Albies together for the next couple of years. Maybe they are ready opening day 2018 After we've won the world series.

Tapate50
06-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Big Dave (AR): Banuelos started out with the Yankees having excellent control of lower velocity stuff. Then his velocity ticked up quite a bit and he never was able to get good control of it and the elbow went out. What kind of pitcher can Banny be if his control starts to click for his current stuff?
Josh Norris: Back of the rotation guy, probably.

Tapate50
06-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Dan (Atlanta): How come Mallex Smith didn't make the Carolina League All Star Roster? What's up with that!
Josh Norris: Because he’s in the Southern League.

Matt (Virginia): Hey Josh, Kolby Allard and the Braves already have an agreement, via John Hart. Once he signs, where will he land on the Braves top prospects list?
Josh Norris: Within the Top 5 somewhere, I’d guess, depending on who graduates.

clvclv
06-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Having never seen him - would be fair to hope that Davidson turns into a Nick Swisher type?

Davidson's likely to turn out to be a good bit better defensively than Swisher - covers much more ground out there. Power-wise, Swisher might be a pretty good comp. I think he's maybe a little more like Freeman (topping out at 22-25 HRs regularly) unless they really push him to hit more balls over the fence (which would be a mistake IMO). Swisher never really hit for average like Freddie (only hit over .272 twice in his career) so I think Freeman's a better comp personally, but Swisher is like them both when you look at selectivity - none of them swing at very many pitches that they can't hit somewhere really hard.

clvclv
06-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Big Dave (AR): Banuelos started out with the Yankees having excellent control of lower velocity stuff. Then his velocity ticked up quite a bit and he never was able to get good control of it and the elbow went out. What kind of pitcher can Banny be if his control starts to click for his current stuff?
Josh Norris: Back of the rotation guy, probably.

There were a lot of complaints about this year's draft, but I personally think the front office still views Folty and Banuelos as dominant late-inning RPs eventually. Folty's really struggling (IMO yesterday could at least be partially blamed on Bethancourt's game-calling - you simply don't continue to call for your Pitcher's second and third-best pitches when he has a 98 MPH fastball and you've got a 5 run lead) - he's just "wild in the zone" like Joe mentioned. You take his best pitch away when you ask him to stop overpowering hitters. Make him your Closer, tell him to keep throwing 95-98 at the top of the zone, ask him to throw a slider once-in-awhile when the few that can eventually catch up to it up there have fouled 2 or 3 off, and watch him take off. Both of those guys will likely be better served if you just tell them to go out there and mow hitters down rather than trying to develop that third pitch that they haven't been able to thus far.

If you move them to the pen, you've still got Miller/Wood/Teheran/Wisler/Perez/Martin with Brigham and Jenkins behind them plus Fried and Minter (who could move quickly when they're healthy), PLUS Allard and Soroka who could move quickly through the system.

yeezus
06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Shreve would really help this BP right now, he's pitching great. If Man-Ban ends up a reliever (likely), that trade looks bad in hindsight IMO.

Tapate50
06-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Not sure why Man Ban would be bullpen bound. A BOR starter with some upside is way more valuable. I think most of us would be a little down on that BOR projection though.

Deester11
06-15-2015, 09:33 AM
I go to Rome once a week unless I get to go to Orlando or a few rookie games just to see what we have. Braxton can hit balls out if that were his concentration. He's about being a balanced hitter, but from what I see he adjusts from AB to AB. If a pitcher tries to get him out with the same pitch, he's apt to hit it hard the second time. I've seen it in eight games to date. Julio said it best...he has a plan. He can be overly selective if that's a term as many of his strikeouts come from behind in the count pitchers pitches. (The occasional terrible strike zones don't help). All in all, he's getting there.

Albies...meh. LOL. (Short stick of dyn o mite)!

smootness
06-15-2015, 10:26 AM
There were a lot of complaints about this year's draft, but I personally think the front office still views Folty and Banuelos as dominant late-inning RPs eventually. Folty's really struggling (IMO yesterday could at least be partially blamed on Bethancourt's game-calling - you simply don't continue to call for your Pitcher's second and third-best pitches when he has a 98 MPH fastball and you've got a 5 run lead) - he's just "wild in the zone" like Joe mentioned. You take his best pitch away when you ask him to stop overpowering hitters. Make him your Closer, tell him to keep throwing 95-98 at the top of the zone, ask him to throw a slider once-in-awhile when the few that can eventually catch up to it up there have fouled 2 or 3 off, and watch him take off. Both of those guys will likely be better served if you just tell them to go out there and mow hitters down rather than trying to develop that third pitch that they haven't been able to thus far.

If you move them to the pen, you've still got Miller/Wood/Teheran/Wisler/Perez/Martin with Brigham and Jenkins behind them plus Fried and Minter (who could move quickly when they're healthy), PLUS Allard and Soroka who could move quickly through the system.

There's no way we can move Folty to the pen at this point given what he's flashed at times as a starter. Banuelos and Hursh, sure. But Folty should be given every chance to succeed in the rotation.

clvclv
06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
There's no way we can move Folty to the pen at this point given what he's flashed at times as a starter. Banuelos and Hursh, sure. But Folty should be given every chance to succeed in the rotation.

I'd love to see him make it as a starter as well, but what he's "flashed" is that he's extremely hittable when he throws anything other than gas. His WHIP isn't 1.56 because he's walking the world (like our bullpen is) - he's only given up less than 5 hits in 2 of his 9 starts, and he's averaging less than 6 IP per start. If you throw out the one good start he had against the Brewers, he's given up 61 hits in 44.1 IP. His secondary pitches simply aren't ready for primetime. His overall strike/ball ratio is bad (531/313), and everything he throws other than his fastball is getting clobbered.

We all understand the upside if he can ever develop at least one solid secondary pitch, but he's going to continue to get crushed at this level until he does. You can already see he's lost in his reactions. If they're going to try to continue developing him as a starter, he needs to go back to Gwinnett and throw nothing but offspeed stuff before he loses confidence in himself.

clvclv
06-15-2015, 12:28 PM

I'd love to see him make it as a starter as well, but what he's "flashed" is that he's extremely hittable when he throws anything other than gas. His WHIP isn't 1.56 because he's walking the world (like our bullpen is) - he's only given up less than 5 hits in 2 of his 9 starts, and he's averaging less than 6 IP per start. If you throw out the one good start he had against the Brewers, he's given up 61 hits in 44.1 IP. If you take the Milwaukee and San Francisco starts (his two good ones) away, he HASN'T allowed less than 5 hits in a start and has given up 56 hits in 37.2 IP. His secondary pitches simply aren't ready for primetime. His overall strike/ball ratio is bad (531/313), and everything he throws other than his fastball is getting clobbered.

We all understand the upside if he can ever develop at least one solid secondary pitch, but he's going to continue to get crushed at this level until he does. You can already see he's lost in his reactions. If they're going to try to continue developing him as a starter, he needs to go back to Gwinnett and throw nothing but offspeed stuff before he loses confidence in himself.

clvclv
06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's time to give up the ghost yet. I'm just pointing out that he's been given an extended look and taste, and it's become quite obvious (even to him) what he needs to do if he's ever going to succeed at this level as a starter. It's one thing to tell players this is where we want to see improvement before we call you up and an entirely different one for them to understand how much improvement is needed without being thrown into the fire to see it themselves.

Folty made 4 starts before he was called up and showed improvement, but was still walking ~4 batters every 9 innings. He was getting away with some things down there that he just won't get away with in the majors. He's had a chance to see just how much of a difference there is, and even he won't argue that he still needs LOTS of work. Let him go get that work at Gwinnett now that he's seen firsthand what will happen to him if he doesn't get better.

I personally think the same thing should be done for Wisler and Banuelos - call them up for 8-10 starts so they can see how significant the difference is themselves. This will keep them from "stagnating" in Gwinnett and wondering what else they have to do to get their shots. When they get blown up a few times, they'll have a much better focus when they go back down to finish their development off.

Garmel
06-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Davidson's line in June is .386/.481/.545. Wow.

thethe
06-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Stud

Braves1976
06-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Shreve would really help this BP right now, he's pitching great. If Man-Ban ends up a reliever (likely), that trade looks bad in hindsight IMO.

Barring injury again, Man-Ban should make it as a starter if given a shot to do so here. I disagree that his upside is only back of the rotation and so do the Braves from what I've read, etc. Further, I could see arguing that it is likely he starts out in the bullpen simply because next season we may not have a spot in the rotation open. So in that case he could go to the bullpen a la Alex Wood for a time. Then maybe join the rotation later if there's an injury or poor performance.

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 04:10 PM
It surprises me Wren's crew managed to draft him. I guess what they say about blind squirrels is true.

thethe
06-15-2015, 04:31 PM
It surprises me Wren's crew managed to draft him. I guess what they say about blind squirrels is true.

I wonder how much control Wren had after Hart was brought in last year. We will never know but something to think about.

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I wonder how much control Wren had after Hart was brought in last year. We will never know but something to think about.
Also JS was around, which might explain some of the other good things that happened.

thethe
06-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Also JS was around, which might explain some of the other good things that happened.

I know what you are trying to do but JS deserves credit and blame since he was overseeing everythiNg.

But, if you don't think that the power system was changing after Hart was brought on then we will have to disagree on that. Otherwise, why bring him in?

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 05:00 PM
I know what you are trying to do but JS deserves credit and blame since he was overseeing everythiNg.

But, if you don't think that the power system was changing after Hart was brought on then we will have to disagree on that. Otherwise, why bring him in?
Obviously to find players like Davidson that Wren's crew never would have been able to.

cajunrevenge
06-15-2015, 05:32 PM
I think if we are going to focus on pitching that we should break some the young pitchers in as multi inning relievers. Like Folty, let him go 3 innings every 5 days and piggyback him on our worst starter. That gives the rest of the pen 1 out of every 5 games off and let's the pitcher get mug need experience. I would do this with Folty, Wisler, and Banuelos. 3 innings every 5 days.

Julio3000
06-15-2015, 05:56 PM

Well, if you subscribe to doubleplusgood rightthink, Frank Wren was hired by Terry McGuirk, and JS had no input on anything Frank Wren did, so you have to give Wren credit for drafting Davidson, no?

Braves1976
06-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Well, if you subscribe to doubleplusgood rightthink, Frank Wren was hired by Terry McGuirk, and JS had no input on anything Frank Wren did, so you have to give Wren credit for drafting Davidson, no?

I thought Frank Wren was that Devil that went down to Georgia. You cannot give the "Devil" any credit, JS and the good old boys club is the best there's ever been! :)

thethe
06-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Giving credit to a GM for a draft is not a good sign to me anyway. In a properly constructed organization they should have little to do with the sraft.

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
I thought Frank Wren was that Devil that went down to Georgia. You cannot give the "Devil" any credit, JS and the good old boys club is the best there's ever been! :)

He is not the devil, but my research shows him to be a direct descendent of William Tecumseh Sherman.

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Giving credit to a GM for a draft is not a good sign to me anyway. In a properly constructed organization they should have little to do with the sraft.

But Hart has never held the GM title with the Braves so it is kosher to give him credit for drafting Davidson.

thethe
06-15-2015, 06:21 PM

But Hart has never held the GM title with the Braves so it is kosher to give him credit for drafting Davidson.

I dont believe I did.

nsacpi
06-15-2015, 06:27 PM
I dont believe I did.

I don't believe you did either. But if you were to do so it would be kosher since he never had the GM title with the Braves. I've checked with my rabbi and he backs me up on this.

Julio3000
06-15-2015, 06:41 PM

So the GM doesn't have anything to do with the draft, but Wren ran off the guys who run the draft, but apparently he takes the blame for hiring their lesser replacements, even though he has nothing to do with the draft. Is that right?

thethe
06-15-2015, 07:14 PM
So the GM doesn't have anything to do with the draft, but Wren ran off the guys who run the draft, but apparently he takes the blame for hiring their lesser replacements, even though he has nothing to do with the draft. Is that right?

But that's why he is getting criticism. Because he ran off the guys that historically did such a greatnjob.

Julio3000
06-15-2015, 07:23 PM
But that's why he is getting criticism. Because he ran off the guys that historically did such a greatnjob.

What exactly did he do to run them off? Who hired their replacements? Hell, who hired Wren? Was it all Terry McGurirk?

Heyward
06-15-2015, 08:44 PM

What if ManBan turns out to be a dominating RP?

Then its a wash, if hes moved there which i think is possible with the bullpen woes.

Would happen next year i think.

Shreve is good, always liked him but that was still a move worth taking.

yeezus
06-15-2015, 09:10 PM
What if ManBan turns out to be a dominating RP?

Then its a wash, if hes moved there which i think is possible with the bullpen woes.

Would happen next year i think.

Shreve is good, always liked him but that was still a move worth taking.

I agree that no matter what happens it was a good risk to take. And no guarantee he can't be a starter. I guess, far from it.

clvclv
06-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Regardless of which side you're on, does anybody really give a *hit who was sitting the GM chair when any of these players were drafted??? We've got them now - isn't that the important part?

There's only so much credit you can even give the area scout that "found" Mike Trout - he just happened to get assigned the right region.

The GM during those drafts had as much to do with those players being found/drafted/signed as JFK had to do with us landing on the moon.