PDA

View Full Version : David Carpenter

nsacpi
08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Mr. Carpenter has been a pleasant surprise this year. His strikeout rate is over 10 per nine innings, a career high. Walks are still a little high at 3.29 per nine, but that is an improvement over previous years. Roger McDowell undoubtedly deserves a fair amount of the credit.

As we've seen the past two days, Carpenter has gained Fredi's confidence and is being used in more high leverage situations. I don't mind that, but I think the events of the past two games illustrate some subtleties worth keeping in mind.

First, Carpenter was lights out two days ago in striking out the side. But yesterday, he gave up some ropes, one of which almost left the ballpark. Obvious lesson, like most other pitchers his arm is more lively with rest than pitching on consecutive days. It is worth watching in his case to see if the falloff is more pronounced than other relievers.

Second, Carpenter is a flyball pitcher. I would be much more comfortable using him in a high leverage situation in a big park. In the smaller parks, I think Ayala who is more of groundball pitcher would be preferable.

The third point is that you do want to pay attention to platoon splits. Fredi actually did a good job on that yesterday. Philly had a righty dominated lineup (unusual for them) and Fredi used up Ayala (who pitched to two righties and a switch hitter) and Carpenter (who pitched to three righties and one lefty) before going to Downs and Avilan. It is going to be important that Fredi plays those splits right in close games. All four of Carpenter, Ayala, Downs and Avilan have significant conventional splits. Walden does not, but given that he is pretty much the automatic choice for the eight inning, it really doesn't matter.

thethe
08-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I may be wrong but Carpenter was used in more single lengthy outing earlier in the year. I think its going to take him time to adjust going on consecutive days and not really a result of him not being able to do it.

I said in May that I thought he could be a legitimate bullpen arm. He can really locate a mid 90's fastball and that has a lot of value. His slider is an average to slightly above average pitch as well and plays off his fastball nicely.

GovClintonTyree
08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I may be wrong but Carpenter was used in more single lengthy outing earlier in the year. I think its going to take him time to adjust going on consecutive days and not really a result of him not being able to do it.

I said in May that I thought he could be a legitimate bullpen arm. He can really locate a mid 90's fastball and that has a lot of value. His slider is an average to slightly above average pitch as well and plays off his fastball nicely.

On the other site, I did a little post on using bullpen pitchers for 2 innings rather than 1 as a prophylactic measure against all these Tommy Johns - for instance, in his Cy year, Sparky Lyle pitched 137 innings, but only 72 appearances. I think the process of heating up is almost as stressful on the arm as pitching an inning, certainly moreso than warming up less and going two. I'd do it for everybody in the pen; I might even suggest that teams alternate two guys as closers (although the Yankees back then couldn't/wouldn't do it with Goose and Sparky). So maybe it's everybody but the closer.

But the one thing that's different from a generation ago is the use pattern. I'd like to see somebody go old school with their bullpen and see if it helps.

nsacpi
08-04-2013, 11:54 AM
On the other site, I did a little post on using bullpen pitchers for 2 innings rather than 1 as a prophylactic measure against all these Tommy Johns - for instance, in his Cy year, Sparky Lyle pitched 137 innings, but only 72 appearances. I think the process of heating up is almost as stressful on the arm as pitching an inning, certainly moreso than warming up less and going two. I'd do it for everybody in the pen; I might even suggest that teams alternate two guys as closers (although the Yankees back then couldn't/wouldn't do it with Goose and Sparky). So maybe it's everybody but the closer.

But the one thing that's different from a generation ago is the use pattern. I'd like to see somebody go old school with their bullpen and see if it helps.

Nowadays managers put more emphasis on getting the platoon matchup in their favor. If you had a couple relievers without big conventional platoon splits, you could use them more in multiple inning outings. Cristhian Martinez was that way. Walden could be used that way too, but he is pretty much our 8th inning guy. It isn't a bad idea to hunt around for relievers who have this quality. Btw the kid we traded for Downs, Rasmus, is a righty who is effective against lefties thanks to his changeup. He wasn't quite ready for the majors this year, but I think he'll turn out to be a good pickup for the Angels.

Russ2dollas
08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Carpenter just re-enforces my feeling that we should never spend big money on a reliever. 5 million max per season. But most should be under team control. I have 100% confidence in the Braves that they can develop middle relievers from the system and from the scrap heap of other organizations. Done it too many times.

I like the multiple inning model. I think it would work. I was thinking you could do it with guys like Wood and Graham. But I don't think ATL is the type of organization that would take that leap. It would have to be someone else to prove it works. Plus we are now looking at Wood as a SP and we still say Graham is a SP.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
I am not sold on him yet.

For someone that throws that hard, I don't see the control that should be there. He lets it loose but a lot of times he doens't know where it's going. I know his K rate is good, but at times I feel he doesn't put hittesr away.

Perhaps I'm spoiled that our bullpen the last 3 years has been unbelievably amazing.

CyYoung31
08-04-2013, 02:59 PM

For someone that throws that hard, I don't see the control that should be there. He lets it loose but a lot of times he doens't know where it's going. I know his K rate is good, but at times I feel he doesn't put hittesr away.

Perhaps I'm spoiled that our bullpen the last 3 years has been unbelievably amazing.

He's no Chad Paronto is he?

nsacpi
08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
That would be Chadwick Paronto. A man his size should be called his full first name.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 03:27 PM
He's no Chad Paronto is he?

You know how much fun I had with gilesfan in the Paronto vs. Yates debate in 2006? Because Chad's ERA was low because he was giving up a lot of inherited runners since Bobby chose him to be Gryboski's successor. 2007 Yates started off amazingly dominant, then regressed towards the end of the year as Bobby continued to abuse his arm.

Paronto never had the strong sinker Grybo had, the only thing he had in common was he was bald and fat. One of those instances where my eyes tells me more than statistics when watching Paronto pitch.

GovClintonTyree
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

I just hope our scouts continue to pull rabbits out of hats. Or Roger keeps coaching 'em up.

Depth of our bullpens has been remarkable. Who else could lose a Venters and EOF and still be at the top?

nsacpi
08-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I just hope our scouts continue to pull rabbits out of hats. Or Roger keeps coaching 'em up.

Depth of our bullpens has been remarkable. Who else could lose a Venters and EOF and still be at the top?

We also lost Martinez early on and Fredi turned Gearrin's arm into sawdust.

I'm impressed we didn't bring back Scott Proctor.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
We also lost Martinez early on and Fredi turned Gearrin's arm into sawdust.

I'm impressed we didn't bring back Scott Proctor.

Proctor must've been Bobby's dream reliever.

Could pitch 3 innings in long relief then pitch 1 the next day.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Better than those days when we were trying to find a bridge to Kolb or Farnsworth. Experimented with Jim Brower, Boyer, McBride. Retisma.

nsacpi
08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't forget Livan and the Durbinator. Only through the grace of the BABIP gods did the Durbinator thing turn out ok.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Don't forget Livan and the Durbinator. Only through the grace of the BABIP gods did the Durbinator thing turn out ok.

Adam Bernero.
Mark Redman.

thethe
08-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I really liked Cormier. I thought he was going to end up being a solid back end of the rotation guy.

CyYoung31
08-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I really liked Oscar "The Vulture" Villareal. What a stud.

Stopthebleeding
08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Anyone who is consistent and can bring the pain of 95mph heat is a 'playuh' in my book.

mossy
08-04-2013, 07:13 PM
You guys make me feel old. I can barely remember who's on this years squad, much less even debate dudes like Chad Poranto, who I had forgotten existed.

The Chosen One
08-04-2013, 07:17 PM
You guys make me feel old. I can barely remember who's on this years squad, much less even debate dudes like Chad Poranto, who I had forgotten existed.

Russ Springer action.

mossy
08-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Russ Springer action.

Uh........Darren Holmes?

Braves1976
08-05-2013, 04:22 AM
I really liked Oscar "The Vulture" Villareal. What a stud.

I liked him a bit too, at least for a long man I thought he was okay. Didn't we trade him to Houston? I think maybe for Josh Anderson? Speaking of Anderson, I liked him quite a bit. I liked his speed and thought he'd be a good 4th outfielder. I think he and Oscar are both retired now. I remember Anderson had some injuries and struggled after returning from them.

50PoundHead
08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Carpenter has done everything and more in terms of expectations. He seems to have passed Varvaro in the pecking order. I think they are interchangeable, but I like them both as 11th/12th guys on the pitching staff. Neither are worldbeaters and I don't think they are suited to pitch in a lot of high leverage situations, but when you throw 95, you can get away with a mistake every now and then.

I give Wren a ton of credit for scouring the waiver wire effectively. O'Flaherty, Varvaro, Carpenter, and Martinez all came to us through that route. Nice haul.

JohnAdcox
08-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Carpenter has done everything and more in terms of expectations. He seems to have passed Varvaro in the pecking order. I think they are interchangeable, but I like them both as 11th/12th guys on the pitching staff. Neither are worldbeaters and I don't think they are suited to pitch in a lot of high leverage situations, but when you throw 95, you can get away with a mistake every now and then.

I give Wren a ton of credit for scouring the waiver wire effectively. O'Flaherty, Varvaro, Carpenter, and Martinez all came to us through that route. Nice haul.

This. Very well said.

jpx7
08-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Uh........Darren Holmes?

I once saw Holmes in an Atlanta-area Apple store, I believe during his second and final season with the Braves (2003), when I was up for a weekend series with my dad. He is perhaps the most regular-person-looking professional athlete of our generation.

nsacpi
08-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Not just pitchers. We picked up Schafer as a wire waiver. And Pena, while technically a free agent signing, was another player that no one saw fit to add to their 40 man roster.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Since Carpenter was claimed, what's his control/contract, etc.

I don't think he's a one year deal, is he?

50PoundHead
08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
He's on a one-year contract, but he's not a free agent at he end of the season and he's not eligible for arbitration.

cajunrevenge
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
2015 would be his first year of arbitration. With the volatility of relievers I doubt he is still effective and on this team by the time he hits free agency.

Carp
08-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Mr. Carpenter has been a pleasant surprise this year. His strikeout rate is over 10 per nine innings, a career high. Walks are still a little high at 3.29 per nine, but that is an improvement over previous years. Roger McDowell undoubtedly deserves a fair amount of the credit.

As we've seen the past two days, Carpenter has gained Fredi's confidence and is being used in more high leverage situations. I don't mind that, but I think the events of the past two games illustrate some subtleties worth keeping in mind.

First, Carpenter was lights out two days ago in striking out the side. But yesterday, he gave up some ropes, one of which almost left the ballpark. Obvious lesson, like most other pitchers his arm is more lively with rest than pitching on consecutive days. It is worth watching in his case to see if the falloff is more pronounced than other relievers.

Second, Carpenter is a flyball pitcher. I would be much more comfortable using him in a high leverage situation in a big park. In the smaller parks, I think Ayala who is more of groundball pitcher would be preferable.

The third point is that you do want to pay attention to platoon splits. Fredi actually did a good job on that yesterday. Philly had a righty dominated lineup (unusual for them) and Fredi used up Ayala (who pitched to two righties and a switch hitter) and Carpenter (who pitched to three righties and one lefty) before going to Downs and Avilan. It is going to be important that Fredi plays those splits right in close games. All four of Carpenter, Ayala, Downs and Avilan have significant conventional splits. Walden does not, but given that he is pretty much the automatic choice for the eight inning, it really doesn't matter.

I think Huddy deserves more credit. he showed him a different grip on his splitter and slider I think. Carpenter has talked abuot it before.

Carp
08-07-2013, 10:46 PM
I once saw Holmes in an Atlanta-area Apple store, I believe during his second and final season with the Braves (2003), when I was up for a weekend series with my dad. He is perhaps the most regular-person-looking professional athlete of our generation.

No, that goes to Greg Madduix, who looks like my 6th grade math teacher

Braves1976
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I think Huddy deserves more credit. he showed him a different grip on his splitter and slider I think. Carpenter has talked abuot it before.

Agreed.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 10:42 AM
The better slider is part of it. But Carpenter's fastball velocity is also up. His command of all his pitches looks to have improved.

GovClintonTyree
08-08-2013, 11:34 AM
The better slider is part of it. But Carpenter's fastball velocity is also up. His command of all his pitches looks to have improved.

Quite frankly, he's been a beast.