PDA

View Full Version : 6/23/2015 MINORS THREAD TUESDAY ... All-Star Gaemes... Smith: Alex with an 'M'

rico43
06-23-2015, 05:12 AM
From MiLB.com:

Mallex Smith, acquired from San Diego in the Justin Upton trade over the winter, got some high praise during Spring Training with the Atlanta Braves.
Hitting coach Kevin Seitzer likened the young center fielder to former Major League standout Kenny Lofton after seeing him lay down some bunts, and Braves director of baseball operations John Hart seconded that thought. As lofty as those comparisons were, though, it may have shortchanged Smith a little in the speed department. Asked to compare the now 22-year-old Mississippi Braves player to the top Major League speedsters of today, Fredi Gonzalez put him at or near the top.
"Oh, it's right up there," the Braves manager said of the*organization's No. 15 prospect. "Billy Hamilton-type speed, maybe just a tad below. I was really impressed. His speed is there with Hamilton, Dee Gordon."
Smith, who led the Minors with 88 stolen bases last year in Class A, has had to go through a bit of a learning curve on the bases in Double-A. That doesn't mean, though, that his speed isn't paying off. Taking advantage of the bunting ability that impressed Seitzer and Hart, Smith went into Memorial Day leading the Southern League with a .348 batting average.
"I lay down at least one bunt every series," the left-handed batter said. "It works two ways. It's hard to throw me out, so they have to play in. Then when they do, I can hit it by them."
Smith, who took over the Southern League batting lead by going 9-for-15 in a five-game stretch, has only seven extra-base hits, but a single or walk can quickly turn into much more. His on-base percentage was .395 and he had scored 23 runs and driven in 16. Maybe too eager to match last season's steals total, Smith in the first four weeks of the season was picked off six times -- twice on Opening Night. Catchers, though, have caught him stealing just twice in 17 attempts. He is 8-for-10 on steals of second base and 7-for-7 going to third.
"I'm getting back in the groove now," said Smith, who had seven stolen bases in his past five games. "The pickoffs affected me for a while. I lost my confidence a little bit, but now it's back."
Confidence is something in which the 5-foo-9 native of Tallahassee, Florida, isn't usually lacking. A defensive back in high school, Smith once thought his future was in football. But the college offers he had hoped for didn't materialize, and he headed to Santa Fe Community College to play baseball.
"I didn't choose baseball -- baseball chose me," said Smith, who was taken in the fifth round of the 2012 Draft by the Padres after stealing 37 bases as a freshman and was given an over-slot bonus of $375,000.
Smith hit a combined .310 last season for Class A Fort Wayne and Class A Advanced Lancaster while running wild on the bases, then hit .305 in the Arizona Fall League. The Braves loved his speed and made sure he was included as part of the Upton deal.
"To be traded by the Padres was a surprise," he said. "But I grew up a Braves fan, and the more I thought about everything, it seemed like a good opportunity."
Smith was 4-for-11 with a triple and stole two bases in three attempts during eight Grapefruit League games with the Braves, putting his speed on display of the whole organization.
"He just needs games to kind of polish him off," Gonzalez said. "The tools are there, and he's certainly not shy to go get balls in center field. We saw that in Spring Training. We had to tell him he's not the only one out there. There are two more guys, one to his right and one to his left."
Unless he is sidetracked, one day Smith will become the first Major Leaguer named Mallex. Where did that name come from anyway?
"Everyone in my family has a first name starting with 'M'," Smith said. "But there was a smart kid in our apartments named Alex. My mom liked his name. So I became Mallex. I'm Alex with an 'M'."

THURSDAY SCORES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Indianapolis 3

SP: Marimon 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
WP: Brigham (1-0) 4 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K. (AAA debut for '15)
Bethancourt 2-4, R, 2 RBI; M. Jones 2-3, 2B, R, RBI; Peraza 2-5, 2B, R; EYJ 2-4, 2B, 3 R; Castro 1-4.

CLASS AA

North All-Stars 9, South All-Stars 0

SOUTH: M. Smith 1-3, K.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Cal League 3, Carolina League 1 (4th)

Camargo 0-1.

CLASS A

North All-Stars 7, South All-Stars 5

Beech (Loss) 1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(2R), O BB, K.
Kinnan 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
SOUTH: Albies 0-2, K; Edgerton 0-2, K; Daris 1-2, 2B, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Braves 8, GCL Yankees 7 (10)

Ellison GWRBI hit.
SP: Avalos 0.2 IP, 2 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
WP: Orozco (1-0) 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Acuna 3-4, 4 R, 2B, 3B, 1 RBI, BB, 2 SB; Ellison 3-5, 2B, 3 RBI; Salazar 3-6, R, RBI: Riley 0-3, R, 2 K.

Danville 9, Pulaski 6

Six stolen bases for Braves.
SP: Weigel 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Wp: Stiffler (1-0) 2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
Moore 2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
Roney (Save, 1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Hoekstra 1-5, 3B, RBI, SB; Gaylor 1-3, 3B, 3 R, SAC, SB; L. Baez 2-5, 2B, R, SB, 3 K; Dykstra 1-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB.

DSL Tigers 4, DSL Braves 3

Braves led 3-0.
SP: F. Sanchez 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
LP: Moreno (0-1) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 1 K.
Ventura 2-4, SB (16); Olmos 1-3, 2B; Michael 1-4, R.

thethe
06-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Say what you will about his power but I'm salivating over a guy with that speed with a potential OBP over 370 at the major league level.

Russ2dollas
06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
I like Mallex....which is why I don't get the Peraza to CF experiment.

Put Peraza at 3B and have a great fielding infield. CF is Smith or Maybin. I know there is no power at 3B then, but it's not like we ever got that from CJ. We just have to hope in a couple of years that Rio Ruiz lives up to his prospect rating, D Peterson moves to 3B and can play it, or we get a trade for a long term 3B. Chipper ain't walking through that door.

Peterson
Maybin-LF
FF
FA catcher-as much as it pains me to think of the cost and likely downside of the 30 y/o catcher
Markakis
Simmons
Mallex
Pitcher
Peraza

Should be great on D. High OBP. team will slug about 0.350. Chicks dig the single, steal, walk, single.

JohnAdcox
06-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Say what you will about his power but I'm salivating over a guy with that speed with a potential OBP over 370 at the major league level.

Ditto. I’m telling you, an outfield of Markakis, Smith, and Maybin will create a lot of havoc.

JohnAdcox
06-23-2015, 11:42 AM
I like Mallex....which is why I don't get the Peraza to CF experiment.

Put Peraza at 3B and have a great fielding infield. CF is Smith or Maybin. I know there is no power at 3B then, but it's not like we ever got that from CJ. We just have to hope in a couple of years that Rio Ruiz lives up to his prospect rating, D Peterson moves to 3B and can play it, or we get a trade for a long term 3B. Chipper ain't walking through that door.

Peterson
Maybin-LF
FF
FA catcher-as much as it pains me to think of the cost and likely downside of the 30 y/o catcher
Markakis
Simmons
Mallex
Pitcher
Peraza

Should be great on D. High OBP. team will slug about 0.350. Chicks dig the single, steal, walk, single.

Under that scenario, I’d move Maybin to right and improve the defense all around.

Any worry about Peraza’s arm at 3rd? If so, I’m fine with Uribe and Kelly until something better emerges. That lets us focus on the pen and catcher.

Diesel
06-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Under that scenario, I’d move Maybin to right and improve the defense all around.

Any worry about Peraza’s arm at 3rd? If so, I’m fine with Uribe and Kelly until something better emerges. That lets us focus on the pen and catcher.
For the time being, yes, that is fine. But in the near future, to be on a championship level, I think it's safe to say that the Braves will not look to employ 3 light hitting outfielders. A balanced offense will require at least one, if not both of those corner outfielders to have some pop. Maybin has very little punch (what, 11 extra base hits on the season?) but has been productive compared to the disaster of BJ. I would be surprised if the Braves ever consider having Mallex and Maybin in the same outfield because their value is mostly as CFers. I like what Maybin has been able to do this season, but I'm not really on board with him having a future with ATL.

JohnAdcox
06-23-2015, 12:32 PM
For the time being, yes, that is fine. But in the near future, to be on a championship level, I think it's safe to say that the Braves will not look to employ 3 light hitting outfielders. A balanced offense will require at least one, if not both of those corner outfielders to have some pop. Maybin has very little punch (what, 11 extra base hits on the season?) but has been productive compared to the disaster of BJ. I would be surprised if the Braves ever consider having Mallex and Maybin in the same outfield because their value is mostly as CFers. I like what Maybin has been able to do this season, but I'm not really on board with him having a future with ATL.

Maybe, but given the likely price and potential candidates, and the surprising production of the offense this year, I’d like to see what some speed can do, and concentrate on catcher and pen, or maybe even an ace (although I admit the latter is hard to defend).

Enscheff
06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
A target for 3B could be Baez from the Cubs. Their IF seems to be set for the next 5 years with Bryant/Russell/Castro/Rizzo (an insanely talented group, by the way), and Baez struggled in his taste of MLB action last year. He is still an all star talent with elite RHed power, albeit with a lot of swing and miss (25% K rate), but he would pair nicely with Freeman in the middle of the lineup.

What would it take to get him? Probably Shelby or Teheran or Wood plus another good prospect or two. It will be a steep price to pay, but some of the electric arms have to be used to bring in positional talent at some point. Might as well go after a guy that has the potential to be a true impact player.

Diesel
06-23-2015, 12:49 PM
A target for 3B could be Baez from the Cubs. Their IF seems to be set for the next 5 years with Bryant/Russell/Castro/Rizzo (an insanely talented group, by the way), and Baez struggled in his taste of MLB action last year. He is still an all star talent with elite RHed power, albeit with a lot of swing and miss (25% K rate), but he would pair nicely with Freeman in the middle of the lineup.

What would it take to get him? Probably Shelby or Teheran or Wood plus another good prospect or two. It will be a steep price to pay, but some of the electric arms have to be used to bring in positional talent at some point. Might as well go after a guy that has the potential to be a true impact player.

25% K rate? His career stats say 95 Ks in 213 at bats. More like 45%.

thethe
06-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Stay away from Baez. Guy won't make enough contact to stay in the league.

smootness
06-23-2015, 12:57 PM

No way am I giving up anything close to that for Baez. He's an intriguing prospect, but he's nowhere near good enough to warrant a very good MLB SP plus 1-2 good prospects. I probably wouldn't even give up something like Folty + Dustin Peterson for him.

He has crazy power, but he struck out 42% of the time in his first MLB look. He's a huge risk.

In terms of our overall offense, I'm far more concerned with just putting quality hitters at every spot than I am with power in certain spots, speed in others, etc. If Maybin keeps doing what he's doing, I'd be more than fine with him in RF. If you can get .350+ OBP with either power or speed from pretty much every spot in your lineup, your offense will be good enough.

And we have some guys coming through, in Davidson, Ruiz, and Peterson, who have some pop, so I'm fine with Maybin/Smith/Markakis in the OF for a year or two.

thethe
06-23-2015, 01:03 PM
There is too much fascination with power. First and foremost we need good hitters.

50PoundHead
06-23-2015, 01:33 PM

You forgot La Stella.

Jay212033
06-23-2015, 02:12 PM
This Ronald Acuna guy looks like a pretty damn good ball player! 3-4, 3B, 2B, BB, HBP, 2 SB(3)

Enscheff
06-23-2015, 03:42 PM
25% K rate? His career stats say 95 Ks in 213 at bats. More like 45%.

First of all, you use PAs as the denominator for K rate, so his MLB rate is 41%. His MiLB K rate is 25%, and has been pretty steady. Your point is still valid though, which is why he was sent back down to AAA. He was only 21 during his MLB stint, and despite the insane K rate he posted a BB rate of 6.5% (in line with his MiLB rate) and an isoSLG of .155 (within earshot of his MiLB iso) with good HR ability. A guy like Baez might do very well under the tutelage of Mr. Seitzer.

I'm not saying Baez is THE target to go after, but he is the TYPE of target the Braves need to be going for when they finally trade some of this pitching: young, controllable, RHed impact hitter, OF or 3B, all star (role 6/7) potential. Not many of those are available (ever), so I'm not sure how else folks expect the Braves to acquire that type of talent.

Russ2dollas
06-23-2015, 04:05 PM
First of all, you use PAs as the denominator for K rate, so his MLB rate is 41%. His MiLB K rate is 25%, and has been pretty steady. Your point is still valid though, which is why he was sent back down to AAA. He was only 21 during his MLB stint, and despite the insane K rate he posted a BB rate of 6.5% (in line with his MiLB rate) and an isoSLG of .155 (within earshot of his MiLB iso) with good HR ability. A guy like Baez might do very well under the tutelage of Mr. Seitzer.

I'm not saying Baez is THE target to go after, but he is the TYPE of target the Braves need to be going for when they finally trade some of this pitching: young, controllable, RHed impact hitter, OF or 3B, all star (role 6/7) potential. Not many of those are available (ever), so I'm not sure how else folks expect the Braves to acquire that type of talent.

He's not a guy I'd give up the farm for. If he's jammed and we can make a good deal, great. But I'm not trading anything close to the package mentioned above.

50PoundHead
06-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Go GCL Braves! 9 hits from the 1-2-3 guys in the order (Acuna, Salazar, Ellison). 2 RBIs for Yepez.

smootness
06-23-2015, 04:10 PM

I'm fine with trying to go after that talent, just not at the expense of what you suggested. If you're willing to trade Wood/Miller plus 1-2 good prospects, you can get someone with similar talent who has actually proven themselves already.

thethe
06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Go GCL Braves! 9 hits from the 1-2-3 guys in the order (Acuna, Salazar, Ellison). 2 RBIs for Yepez.

Ellison was supposed to one of those later round picks that had a high ceiling right?

CJ9
06-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Ellison was supposed to one of those later round picks that had a high ceiling right?

Yes, he was our 12th rounder from a JUCO I think. I'm pretty sure he had two hits yesterday, too.

Enscheff
06-23-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm fine with trying to go after that talent, just not at the expense of what you suggested. If you're willing to trade Wood/Miller plus 1-2 good prospects, you can get someone with similar talent who has actually proven themselves already.

Such as? Pre-arb guys with Baez's talent are not available at any price if they have already proven themselves.

smootness
06-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Such as? Pre-arb guys with Baez's talent are not available at any price if they have already proven themselves.

Everyone that isn't on the Trout/Harper level is available for the right price. Baez has a lot of talent, but I don't think he's ever going to be a guy like that. To be honest, I don't have any names off the top of my head.

But regardless of what else is available, I'm not giving up that package for Javier Baez.

thethe
06-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Everyone that isn't on the Trout/Harper level is available for the right price. Baez has a lot of talent, but I don't think he's ever going to be a guy like that. To be honest, I don't have any names off the top of my head.

But regardless of what else is available, I'm not giving up that package for Javier Baez.

With all the specialization that exists now in the big leagues relating to relief pitching swing and miss guys are going to be a thing of the past.

chop2chip
06-23-2015, 05:19 PM
With all the specialization that exists now in the big leagues relating to relief pitching swing and miss guys are going to be a thing of the past.
You should go to Fangraphs and look at the offensive leaderboards and see how many of the top hitters in baseball have high strikeout rates. Hint: more have strikeout rates over 20% than don't (including Harper aka "the best hitter in baseball")

thethe
06-23-2015, 05:20 PM
You should go to Fangraphs and look at the offensive leaderboards and see how many of the top hitters in baseball have high strikeout rates. Hint: more have strikeout rates over 20% than don't (including Harper aka "the best hitter in baseball")

when he is half the player that Harper is then I'll consider it

50PoundHead
06-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Yes, he was our 12th rounder from a JUCO I think. I'm pretty sure he had two hits yesterday, too.

12th rounder. Georgia high school kid who played JC ball at Western Oklahoma (a second-tier JC), the same school that produced Andrelton Simmons. Supposedly has tools to spare.

chop2chip
06-23-2015, 05:22 PM
when he is half the player that Harper is then I'll consider it
Red herring thethe... That's not the point I, or you for that matter, were making.

thethe
06-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Red herring thethe... That's not the point I, or you for that matter, were making.

Baez also projects to strike out more than basically all of those hitters that you are referencing

Heyward
06-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Maybin, Smith, Markakis may be ok next year, depending who else they add, but we need some kind of power minus Freeman.

And i wouldnt trade for Baez.

chop2chip
06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Baez also projects to strike out more than basically all of those hitters that you are referencing

Maybe marginally due to his high strikeout rate last season, but there are players that have similar strikeout rates (around 30%) that do just fine. Would you not trade for Joc Pederson for that reason?

smootness
06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Maybin, Smith, Markakis may be ok next year, depending who else they add, but we need some kind of power minus Freeman.

And i wouldnt trade for Baez.

Well, we don't really have any this year, and our offense is fine. As long as we have quality hitters throughout the lineup, we'll score enough runs. Our pitching needs more improvement than our offense right now, strangely enough.

zbhargrove
06-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Good lord, please no Baez unless it's for one second tier prospect. Why do we want a BJ Upton clone with less speed? Come to think of it, Melvin is probably better.

50PoundHead
06-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Visual Aids

https://rpedrique22.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/foto-ronald-acuc3b1a-copia.jpg

GCL Braves' Ronald Acuna

http://www.apukuntur.com/kuna/images/content/vicuna.jpg

A Vicuna

rico43
06-24-2015, 07:59 AM
http://www.fishing-in-thailand.com/images/Tuna-Terry-yellowfin5.jpg

And this is a tuna.

JohnAdcox
06-24-2015, 09:57 AM
There is too much fascination with power. First and foremost we need good hitters.

And the church said Amen.

Julio3000
06-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Visual Aids

https://rpedrique22.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/foto-ronald-acuc3b1a-copia.jpg

GCL Braves' Ronald Acuna

http://www.apukuntur.com/kuna/images/content/vicuna.jpg

A Vicuna

A lacuna:

Helpful?

smootness
06-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Rico, how do you figure out which minor-league pitchers are scheduled to start, and is there any way to find out before the day of the game? I plan on going to see Rome when Toussaint is scheduled to pitch, but I don't know when that will be.