PDA

View Full Version : 6/24/15 MINORS FINAL WED...Mallex debuts for Gwinnett; Herbert HR; Falcon sighting!

rico43
06-24-2015, 06:05 PM
WEDNESDAY GAMES

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 8, Indianapolis 5

Peraza playing 2B, batting second
SP: Foltynewicz 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 5 K.
WP: Kurcz (4-3) 1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
R. Kelly (Save, 5) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Peraza 2-5, R, 2 SB; A. Garcia 2-5, 2B, R, 3 RBI; Bethancourt 1-5, 2B, RBI; Kleinknecht 2-3, 2 R, M. Smith 0-3, R, RBI, BB.

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Tigers 8, GCL Braves 3

LP: Felix Falcon (0-1) 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
K. Rodriguez 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Lucas Herbert (debut) 1-2, HR (1st), RBI; Acuna 1-3, SB; A. Riley 0-2, BB; K. Josephina 1-2, SB.

Danville 3, Pulaski 1

SP: Belicek 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
WP: Josh Graham (1-0) 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 3 K.
Dill 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K.
D. Cordero (Save, 1) 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
Baez 2-4; Didder 1-4, RBI; Hagenmiller 1-4, R, RBI; Hoekstra 2-4; Gaylor 1-3, R, SB.

DSL Braves 10, DSL Tigers 6

14 total strikeouts by Braves pitchers.
SP: Mora 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
WP: R Taveras (2-0) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
Ventura 4-5, 2 R, RBI, 3 SB; Michael 1-5, 2 RBI; T. Josephina 2-5, R, RBI; Boeldak 2-5, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI.
Randy Ventura 19-20 stolen bases in only 13 games.

NOTE: Mississippi, Carolina, Rome idle

50PoundHead
06-24-2015, 06:15 PM
A couple of impressions from the rookie league rosters and box scores.

(1) Didder in CF for Danville was a bit of a surprise, but with Albies in front of him and Salazar and Josephina behind him, it probably makes sense if his bat carries.

(2) They are pushing a few guys. Baez in Danville was signed last December and he's jumping both the DSL and the GCL. I wasn't surprised to see Yepez in the GCL (skipping the DSL), but I was a little surprised that Acuna and a few other first year guys are in the GCL and not the DSL. Curious to see how it all works out.

Good to see Falcon back in action. Any idea if this guy is his personal pitching coach?

http://i36.tinypic.com/m819mu.png

thethe
06-24-2015, 06:15 PM
So Betancourt has been really good so far. I'm encouraged he didn't hang his head as a result of the demotion.

cajunrevenge
06-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Watching Mallex for the first time he looks like he is having a seizure at the plate before the pitch. His swing is weird and looks bad. I get that it's a good idea for him to hit ground balls but it worries me. That said he made a decently hit groundball to second a close play. He should be hitting the ball at 3b as much as possible.

Garmel
06-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Watching Mallex for the first time he looks like he is having a seizure at the plate before the pitch. His swing is weird and looks bad. I get that it's a good idea for him to hit ground balls but it worries me. That said he made a decently hit groundball to second a close play. He should be hitting the ball at 3b as much as possible.

Yeah, his mechanics are just awful. He's needs to clean them up.

weso1
06-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Yeah, his mechanics are just awful. He's needs to clean them up.

He's got a lot of wiggle before the pitch is thrown, but from what I've seen he settles in and really takes a good swing in the end. I actually think he's got some really nice hop rotation. Lots of guys have that pre swing wiggle. Tonight he may be jumping at the ball a bit because of nerves though.

nsacpi
06-24-2015, 10:10 PM
(2) They are pushing a few guys. Baez in Danville was signed last December and he's jumping both the DSL and the GCL. I wasn't surprised to see Yepez in the GCL (skipping the DSL), but I was a little surprised that Acuna and a few other first year guys are in the GCL and not the DSL. Curious to see how it all works out.

Those are aggressive moves. I think Albies success in the GCL and Appy League as a 17 year old opened some eyes. Not sure there are too many Albies out there.

Jay212033
06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Those are aggressive moves. I think Albies success in the GCL and Appy League as a 17 year old opened some eyes. Not sure there are too many Albies out there.

So far Acuna has been doing pretty well he has 4 SB in 3 games

jpx7
06-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Good to see Falcon back in action. Any idea if this guy is his personal pitching coach?

http://i36.tinypic.com/m819mu.png

He needs to keep his ear-holes open and stay out of that widening gyre.

steveAKAslick
06-25-2015, 01:49 AM
Herbert homers in his debut...nice!!

cajunrevenge
06-25-2015, 04:07 AM
Too bad we reached for Herbert instead of getting more value. Could have had a guaranteed all star.

sturg33
06-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Too bad we reached for Herbert instead of getting more value. Could have had a guaranteed all star.

Yeah I guess his first home run in the rookie league settles that!

50PoundHead
06-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Baez is a about a year older than most of last year's international signees and I am always a bit puzzled by why some guys are signed a little bit later, both in terms of age and time in the calendar year (again, Baez was signed along with a lot of other guys in December with the money coming from the La Stella deal at least partially accounting for that). Of those December signings, RHP Bladimir Matos and LHP Kelvin Rodriguez are both 21, so I get why they have been accelerated. But guys like Isranel Wilson have fallen out of the sky to some extent.

PS--Randy Ventura (another late signee from 2014-2015) has stolen 19 bases in 13 games and is hitting .417 in the DSL.

Orphan Black
06-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Had no clue the Braves had someone in the system named Felix Falcon. Which Hogwart's house is he a part of? Sounds like a Ravenclaw to me.

He's a 6-foot-2, lefty who went went 9-0, 1.90 in the DSL in 2013. But after one start last year; guess what? Tommy John surgery (pretty sure). But only 1.1 innings a year ago.

dak
06-25-2015, 12:05 PM

I mean no offense with this question . . . was there anyone who viewed the Herbert pick as a reach? The Allard and Herbert picks seemed pretty much aligned with the the loose consensus of "draft experts". Or that was at least my interpretation. Soroka, Riley, Minter, and Guardado were the ones that looked like possible reaches based on draft boards, with Minter drawing the most question marks from experts in post-draft comments.

rico43
06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
I mean no offense with this question . . . was there anyone who viewed the Herbert pick as a reach? The Allard and Herbert picks seemed pretty much aligned with the the loose consensus of "draft experts". Or that was at least my interpretation. Soroka, Riley, Minter, and Guardado were the ones that looked like possible reaches based on draft boards, with Minter drawing the most question marks from experts in post-draft comments.

Herbert's pick was pretty much right on the money of those projections I saw.