PDA

View Full Version : Bad Players

nsacpi
06-26-2015, 09:46 PM
I've always thought that what I call "deep depth" is very important. By that I mean both the guys on the bench and front end of the pen in the majors and those in the upper level minors. This article provides some interesting evidence on the importance of avoiding giving bad players much playing time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jabo-the-importance-of-not-having-bad-players/

Much of the focus around here during the off-season was on the good players that were traded. That matters for sure. But I think it has been compounded by an inadequate attempt to build "deep depth." Finding replacement level guys or slightly better to populate the bench and the upper minors at positions not filled by promising prospects. It has shown up most glaringly in the pen. But we also penciled in guys like EYJr and Callaspo for roles that were a bit too prominent for what they were capable of delivering. We have made some progress by replacing those two. I think we also took some pretty big risks at catcher, including having a pretty weak group in the upper minors at the start of the season.

Finding a solution to the pen has turned out to be tougher. I suppose you can blame some of that on bad luck (the suspensions of Vizcaino and McKirahan). But I think part of it was not doing a very good job populating the Gwinnett pen with guys who could potentially have helped.

Carp
06-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Well we lost 2 good BP guys and 1 probable BP piece before the season even started (Kimbrell, Simmons, and Viz) and lost McKirahan like a week into the season. Hard to predict not having 4 guys who were all projected to be part of your opening day pen.

If our pend looked like the following, I really doubt anyone would be too concerned :

Kimbrell
Grilli
JJ
Avilan
Simmons
McKirahan
Viz/C. Martin

cajunrevenge
06-27-2015, 01:31 AM
I think you are expecting too much too soon. They are still in the process of acquiring the depth you speak of.

thewupk
06-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Yeah I think the Braves are well aware of what bad Players (Melvin and Uggla) can do to a team with good players on it.

nsacpi
06-27-2015, 09:45 AM
I think you are expecting too much too soon. They are still in the process of acquiring the depth you speak of.

Yeah I know.

2017: A Braves Odyssey

NinersSBChamps
06-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Why is Gomes, Eveland, Sugar Ray, and the likes doing on this roster.

Knucksie
06-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Seriously. Didn't they as much as announce "we're going to suck until 2017"? Why be concerned with Eric Young Jr. and an ineffective bullpen during a rebuilding phase?

50PoundHead
06-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Good points. I've always thought it is harder to put together a good bench than it is to put together a good bullpen, but it's been the other way around for us this season.

Knucksie
06-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Good points. I've always thought it is harder to put together a good bench than it is to put together a good bullpen, but it's been the other way around for us this season.

A lot of the blown saves could be attributed to the loss of Kimbrel, which put stress on the remaining relievers, and this was all expected. On the positive side, it saved constant complaints about Melvin's presence.