PDA

View Full Version : 7/19/2015 SUNDAY MINORS FINAL ... Hotter than hell out here.

rico43
07-19-2015, 11:13 AM
MOVES: Cunniff on rehab at Gwinnett
Lambson to Miss. from Gwinnett
M. Cabrera to Miss. from Carolina
Thurman activated at Carolina; the last of the bus wreck injuries
LHP Nelson Leon placed on GCL Braves restricted list; that usually portends some kind of suspension coming

SUNDAY SCHEDULE

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Syracuse 5, Gwinnett 3

LP: White (1-3) 5.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 4 K.
Mazzaro 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
Hunter 1-4, HR (6th), 2 RBI; Peraza 1-4, R; M. Smith 1-4, 3B.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5 ,Jacksonville 3

WP: Janas (1-2) 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
Cabrera 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
Hursh (Save, 1) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
Ahrens 3-4, R, RBI; Rohm 2-4, R, 2 RBI; Landoni 3-4, 2B, 2 R.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Wilmington 3, Carolina 0

SP: Walters 6.2 IP, 6 H, 0 ER(2R), 2 BB, 4 K.
Lien 2-4; Kreitemeier 2-3. Only 4 total hits.

CLASS A

Lakewood 13, Rome 3

LP: Caicedo (3-5) 4 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
Mendez 2-4, 2B,SB; Tellor 1-4, 2B, R, RBI; Oliver 1-3, 2B, RBI; Albies 0-3, R, BB.

SHORT-SEASON

Bristol 13, Danville 3

LP: Gamez (0-2) 0.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER(6R), 1 BB, 0 K, WP. (two errors and passed ball in inning)
McLaughlin 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K. (came on with two on and ended rally)
Dykstra 2-5; Flores 3-4, 2 2B, R, RBI; Estevez 2-4, RBI; Campbell 0-5, 3 K.

DSL Braves, GCL Braves idle.

Garmel
07-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 44s45 seconds ago

Braves have promoted RHP Lucas Sims from Carolina to Double-A Mississippi. Sims was Atlanta's 1st pick (21st overall) in the 2012 Draft.

nsacpi
07-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 44s45 seconds ago

Braves have promoted RHP Lucas Sims from Carolina to Double-A Mississippi. Sims was Atlanta's 1st pick (21st overall) in the 2012 Draft.

Surprised. Even though he was great in his last game, he's been struggling this year.

clvclv
07-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Surprised. Even though he was great in his last game, he's been struggling this year.

Strangely enough (even to myself a little bit), I'm not.

When you include last season, he's had roughly a full year at the Hi-A level (196.1 IP). I'm personally beginning to wonder if the organization's decided he really only focuses and grinds when he feels like HE'S being challenged. If that's remotely the case, we're all about to find out a lot about him - if he doesn't improve his location and control pretty quickly, he's going to get shelled in AA.

rico43
07-19-2015, 02:28 PM

He also missed close to a month after the bus wreck. It is a surprise, but a welcome one. I personally think he's being showcased.

Deester11
07-19-2015, 02:34 PM
He also missed close to a month after the bus wreck. It is a surprise, but a welcome one. I personally think he's being showcased.as do I. Selling on upside still there.

Hawk
07-19-2015, 03:07 PM

When you include last season, he's had roughly a full year at the Hi-A level (196.1 IP). I'm personally beginning to wonder if the organization's decided he really only focuses and grinds when he feels like HE'S being challenged. If that's remotely the case, we're all about to find out a lot about him - if he doesn't improve his location and control pretty quickly, he's going to get shelled in AA.

Agreed on all counts.

Those of us who have been defending Sims despite his poorish performance the past 1.5 seasons are going to have one less leg to stand on if he doesn't produce promising results early on.

thethe
07-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Sims was always billed on having tremendous stuff. He still has that. No way I was jumping off the train. Pitchers just have no set developmental track. Sims could still be our #1 pitching prospect by the end of the season.

Deester11
07-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Sims was always billed on having tremendous stuff. He still has that. No way I was jumping off the train. Pitchers just have no set developmental track. Sims could still be our #1 pitching prospect by the end of the season.
Thethe I'm always bullish. Just like you on our prospects. On arm potential alone,I'll agree, but no way he's near our #1 pitching prospect. My opinion, but I've seen him enough to say, yes, potential is there but he's been surpassed.

steveAKAslick
07-19-2015, 04:16 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking...maybe this move is being done to boost his confidence in some way and test him...we are about to find out I guess

thethe
07-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Thethe I'm always bullish. Just like you on our prospects. On arm potential alone,I'll agree, but no way he's near our #1 pitching prospect. My opinion, but I've seen him enough to say, yes, potential is there but he's been surpassed.

No question for now but I still think he can get there with the right adjustments by year end.

Deester11
07-19-2015, 04:29 PM
No question for now but I still think he can get there with the right adjustments by year end. Adjustments. He's got to adjust to being hit and giving up runs. He has streaks where you think he's going to be lights out, then an inning or two later the floodgates open. Love the arm,hoping he figures it out.

cajunrevenge
07-20-2015, 01:17 AM
I think Sims is working on specific weaknesses that is hindering his stats. Might have been his third pitch. It would be great to go out there with 2 pitches and put up the big stats but he is in the minors to become a better pitcher not win meaningless games.