PDA

View Full Version : It is a mistake to let the Scout forum die

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I personally dont start threads and those of you who have been around 10 plus years know I really dont post that much.

However, I think it is worth consideration that Fox owns scout and with the new sports station coming there should be a good chance of some credible journalists coming aboard who might find time to post some worthy information. I would caution to wait until the new station gets up and running before writing off the history and fan base.

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Similar to the other thread about the scout board I will be moving this to the WWW forum.

Please do not take offense PawPaw.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Let it die.

I have no interest or care for FOX. They've brought it upon themselves to let Patio run things for the last 2 years and destroy it.

The new sports station isn't going to be anything major. When NBCSports launched, they took a few names from ESPN but in terms of original content there's nothing there. FOX didn't acquire any new rights to put anything exclusively on their channel, they're just going to take what's on FSN nationally and move it there. They tried a sports highlights show long ago, it was called The Rundown. Before that it was FSN National Sports Report.

Besides, if any journalist of worth info posts there, we can easily twitter or PM that person to post here. At the end of the day, journalist is going to want to expand his base. If nobody is postin there and we're all over here, easily lurk and post over here.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I personally dont start threads and those of you who have been around 10 plus years know I really dont post that much.

However, I think it is worth consideration that Fox owns scout and with the new sports station coming there should be a good chance of some credible journalists coming aboard who might find time to post some worthy information. I would caution to wait until the new station gets up and running before writing off the history and fan base.

?
We really didn't have a choice. We all got banned.

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
There is no one source of information out there. Anything that potentially could get posted on the new scout board will be easily obtainable anywhere on the internets.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
No offense taken.
Is banning permanent? I dont think so. Jerks are present on both sides of any conflict.
NBC was not in the position that Fox is in due to all the FOX regional networks broadcasting baseball. Do you think Fox will let its own station die/flounder?

Tapate50
08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
We don't need credible journalists. We have a Zito.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
No offense taken.
Is banning permanent? I dont think so. Jerks are present on both sides of any conflict.
NBC was not in the position that Fox is in due to all the FOX regional networks broadcasting baseball. Do you think Fox will let its own station die/flounder?

Jerry aka Patio aka (insert new username here) banned everyone and as far as I know has not lifted them. I was IP banned and eventually that was gone but my username still wasn't unbanned.

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I just don't believe they really care that much about the Braves portion of the scout board or else they would have removed PD a while ago after his disastrous reign. The scout board makes their money on college football and the big markets for professional sports.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
There is no one source of information out there. Anything that potentially could get posted on the new scout board will be easily obtainable anywhere on the internets.

actually now that i think about it why didn't you let me know about the new board earlier :Sad:

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:19 AM
actually now that i think about it why didn't you let me know about the new board earlier :Sad:

I thought you new about it. Plus, I'm still mad you bounced me from the playoffs last year.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
No offense taken.

Bans can be 1 week, 1 month, or indefinite.

I was banned in October for venting like everyone else about Sam Holbrooke's terrible infield fly call. I waited a week or a month and the ban was still not lifted. I lurked for months, made a new username and everything. Weso was banned because he respectfully suggested something and he was banned. Patio turned off his PM's, so if you can't talk to the admin when there's a problem, what the hell do you do? Talk to a moderator when they have no powers like an admin does?

NBC to their credit has picked up a few things and just integrated what VS had. They're getting English Premier League soccer from Fox which is HUGE as international soccer is growing immensely here.

FOX is re-hashing everything from their regional networks. UFC stuff, Big 12 football. They haven't acquired any rights for baseball, basketball, football, or even golf which are moneymakers. They don't show much tennis either.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought you new about it. Plus, I'm still mad you bounced me from the playoffs last year.

least you lost to the champ

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
least you lost to the champ

In the words of Frank Gore, "My team was still better even though we lost!"

Dalyn
08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
No offense taken.

Most of us have been banned for months. Most of us have sent many emails to Scout before ever coming here. All ignored. Why care about something/someone that/who has no interest or care for you? This place is my Braves home, now.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
We don't need credible journalists. We have a Zito.

That is my point. Do you think he is really Brian Kinney?

Stats 101 can be career enlightening.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Stats 101 can be career enlightening.

PawPaw, I don't think anyone cares frankly about any national journalist and their view on the Braves. Dave Schoenfield is probably our biggest fan nationally.

To be honest, you yourself should know the last 10 years we've kept coming back and coming back to post together and have fun and have discussion. Shanks left, we're all still here. Before he came, we were all still here. Doesn't matter to me if some hot shot journalist starts suddenly posting there. Unless Chipper or Heyward or someone major is psoting there, I won't care. And when I say posting there, I don't mean posting a blog or article of their thoughts, I'm talking about posting as a poster.

thethe
08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Like IronMan said, the activity on this board is at such a high level that any journalist worth their words will post their stuff here. Thats where they will get more recognition.

TURBO
08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
For all we know PawPaw is Patio :emot-siren.gif.17:

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
For all we know PawPaw is Padio :emot-siren.gif.17:
:Gasp:

gilesfan
08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I can't wait for FoxSports 1. But, I don't care about the Braves scout message board.

Gary82
08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
We're not here just for Braves content, we're here because we enjoy each others' company. As goofy as that sounds.

There are so many options for content, why would anyone move? And, if they do get credible journalists, I can still go over there and read about it, then come back here and post my opinion.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
For all we know PawPaw is Patio :emot-siren.gif.17:

Sorry but not so. Ive been there a lot longer than Patio.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 12:50 PM
We're not here just for Braves content, we're here because we enjoy each others' company. As goofy as that sounds.

There are so many options for content, why would anyone move? And, if they do get credible journalists, I can still go over there and read about it, then come back here and post my opinion.

Are you entering the flirting game too? JPX, Julio, Cy Young, Dalyn, and now thethe...

you too?

ant0288
08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
the scout board is completely dead and will be because the admin wants to wield his iron fist of power instead of being a sensible human being. he banned most of the active posters for disagreeing with him or really stupid minor offenses. he has turned off his pm so no one can question his authority, which prevents accountability. scout board killed itself by it leadership picking.

weso1
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Eventually if this site chooses to advertise on twitter and other message boards then I wouldn't be surprised if we get some players/media over here. I hope that's the next big step this board will take. To expand its audience in a major way.

I honestly think the actual baseball content on this site is superb. We have very smart baseball discussion from the best posters that were on scout. Rico's minor league threads are tremendous as well. And to go along with that, this board is entertaining. Scout.com is just simply not entertaining. Just read Bowman or DOB if you want news from the clubhouse.

In the end though, it's not really up to us to decide whether or not scout.com survives or dies. It's up to scout.com. As long as PD remains admin in whatever form he chooses to take, scout.com will remain dead. He's just simply the worst message board administrator I've ever seen. He has no clue how to run a message board. He's a good message board poster, but not everyone is up for the job of administrator. Sav's administration vs Patio's administration is like night and day.

Dalyn
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Are you entering the flirting game too? JPX, Julio, Cy Young, Dalyn, and now thethe...

you too?

I am pretty sure we moved beyond the flirting stage after Wood's first start.

Mrs. Meta
08-05-2013, 02:02 PM

you too?

Meta is sooooooo dreamy! :banana:

CyYoung31
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
We're not letting the Scout board die. That's the entire point of this board.

Oh, and get over it. You lost.

DjGrizz
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Scouts dead cuz a nazi runs it now

sentenza
08-05-2013, 03:28 PM
It's sad!
This was my first forum ever I signed in (before i signed in any german forum). Over 9 years ago!
But time goes by and the forums, too! They come and go so fast in this time!

That's the modern era of the internet!

Dalyn
08-05-2013, 03:29 PM
I am just waiting for the scout going down joke.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPkTu29STUUEJWLdKfyO5l3ojn0d_W7 NUsvxbPYSPRDs0m2bO9FA

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Sorry but not so. Ive been there a lot longer than Patio.

Afraid not. Kind of eery that your join dates are just two days apart. When did you become a moderator there? A few weeks ago?
http://oi39.tinypic.com/j59le0.jpg

CyYoung31
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
It's Patio. What is the incentive for him to create this thread? What stock would anyone else have in that site?

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Afraid not. Kind of eery that your join dates are just two days apart. When did you become a moderator there? A few weeks ago?
http://oi39.tinypic.com/j59le0.jpg
Actually my first go at Scout was in the mid to late 90,s I want to say 98 and my user name was Huxley. My youngest left for college and took my computer so I was absent for awhile. After I said that I preceded Patio, I did look to make sure. Guess what. However, some of you old timers will recall that Patio did not post very much at all on the free boards until long after Shanks deserted for the premium board.

Me as a moderator was gifted recently and Since I know so little about computers I ignored it. Ive noticed that it has been taken down so I guess it was honorific.

If anyone is interested and Im sure the info is here from my registration, I also have a seldom used account on the MLB forums as Celoyoung. My profile is there if you care to compare.

jpx7
08-05-2013, 04:21 PM

To be fair, I think most long-time posters have a join-date around that time, because that's when one of the previous great migrations occurred (in this case, I believe, it was from fanhome to scout). For instance, mine is 10/21/2002.

I'm surprised it took me nine whole days to register my PatioDaddio alias.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Just to clarify, we were Fanhome Pre-2002.

Patio was posting in 2002-2003. I was 12 and I very much remember him posting actually. He's one of the only people that used this smiley frequently :pimp:

You're still a moderator over there as of 5:24 PM eastern time.

If you say you're not Patio, I believe you. We just find it odd for you to make a thread like this when there's no logic or incentive to go back or stay there. Also it's coincidentally right after "JerryStarke" "stepped down" from Scout, and Patio makes a surprise appearance saying he's going to be back for the mean time.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
To be fair, I think most long-time posters have a join-date around that time, because that's when one of the previous great migrations occurred (in this case, I believe, it was from fanhome to scout). For instance, mine is 10/21/2002.

I'm surprised it took me nine whole days to register my PatioDaddio alias.

IDK the logistics of their system. There are some guys there that have join date of 2001. One of my original names before SAV has a join date of early 2002.

CyYoung31
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
If anyone is interested and Im sure the info is here from my registration, I also have a seldom used account on the MLB forums as Celoyoung. My profile is there if you care to compare.

No relation.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
No relation.
Please clarify.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM

I'm surprised it took me nine whole days to register my PatioDaddio alias.I remember a sort of conflict with you some years ago when you and Maddux Ii were very active. I took exception to your use of retarded in numerous posts. See if you recall the circumstances. BTW I havent seen it from you since and I sincerely appreciate it.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:44 PM
So PawPaw, I'm curious why you decided to make this thread. Do you really believe that things will change there and that this FoxSports1 is going to change things for the better?

jpx7
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I remember a sort of conflict with you some years ago when you and Maddux Ii were very active. I took exception to your use of retarded in numerous posts. See if you recall the circumstances. BTW I havent seen it from you since and I sincerely appreciate it.

That was prior to the scout transition, back on the fanhome board, if I recall correctly; and I was all of fourteen years-old at the time, so I was unsurprisingly less considerate with my diction then. But yes: I do remember that series of comments, and I'd call it less of a "conflict" than an adolescent failing to choose his words intentionally and carefully enough.

Bdawg2309
08-05-2013, 04:52 PM
they won't even accept new members. i've tried 3 times and been denied.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
So PawPaw, I'm curious why you decided to make this thread. Do you really believe that things will change there and that this FoxSports1 is going to change things for the better?
Absolutely no subtrefuge on my part. Biggest reason: I kinda think Foxsports may be a good thing and if they fire up a premium board like ESPN surely SHanks will not be involved. It would not be a good thing IMO if all the great posters on this forum let things die to where it would take a long time to recover. I have no idea if you folks have plans for a premium board. I never joined the premium side of Scout purely because of Shanks and his arroganceand I didnt have the angst with him that some of you all did. At the same time Patio never has conflicted with me so I dont have the history that you folks do.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Absolutely no subtrefuge on my part. Biggest reason: I kinda think Foxsports may be a good thing and if they fire up a premium board like ESPN surely SHanks will not be involved. It would not be a good thing IMO if all the great posters on this forum let things die to where it would take a long time to recover. I have no idea if you folks have plans for a premium board. I never joined the premium side of Scout purely because of Shanks and his arroganceand I didnt have the angst with him that some of you all did. At the same time Patio never has conflicted with me so I dont have the history that you folks do.

No premium board here. No reason to. Beyond an elitist ideal.

I never understood why Bill had a premium board to begin with, so he could have the pleasure of being strictly posting in that particular forum? What was the point of having separate GDT's in two different forums. Just moderate the first one and it'll be ok.

I actually liked Bill at first, then his ego and arrogance became so inflated and huge and getting out of control with this makeup thing.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Why the hell would anyone go back over there. This site is better. Everyone is here. Have fun with the 1-page GDT there. We're pretty happy here. And we don't have a psycho like patio power tripping. Good look, though.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Why the hell would anyone go back over there. This site is better. Everyone is here. Have fun with the 1-page GDT there. We're pretty happy here. And we don't have a psycho like patio power tripping. Good look, though.

Or do you....?

:eusa_dance:

yeezus
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
That was prior to the scout transition, back on the fanhome board, if I recall correctly; and I was all of fourteen years-old at the time, so I was unsurprisingly less considerate with my diction then. But yes: I do remember that series of comments, and I'd call it less of a "conflict" than an adolescent failing to choose his words intentionally and carefully enough.

Forever petty minds stay petty.

yeezus
08-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Or do you....?

:eusa_dance:

:Gasp:

Dalyn
08-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Foxsports could be a good thing. This place already is.

Krovahn
08-05-2013, 05:00 PM
All I have to say is, why would anyone want to go back there, or even begin to post there? They won't. Even if somehow, miraculously some bloggers, writers, scouts, etc. found their way to the scout site... they won't stay. That forum is dead now. It is poorly run and its demise is solely due to those in charge of it; they ran it into the ground.

There is no reason for anyone to want to go back to that place and any people whom randomly stumble upon that forum will likely quickly leave as soon as they discover the inactivity, the attitude of those in power and just how terrible of a place it has become.

On top of that, the posters whom actually provided good discussion, are friendly, fairly knowledgeable and just good to talk baseball with are already here... so, yeah; no point in even starting this thread, IMO.

CyYoung31
08-05-2013, 05:01 PM

I don't even see how that was relevant to begin with.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 05:02 PM
On top of that, the posters whom actually provided good discussion, are friendly, fairly knowledgeable and just good to talk baseball with are already here... so, yeah; no point in even starting this thread, IMO.

Except Zito.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
No premium board here. No reason to. Beyond an elitist ideal.

I never understood why Bill had a premium board to begin with, so he could have the pleasure of being strictly posting in that particular forum? What was the point of having separate GDT's in two different forums. Just moderate the first one and it'll be ok.

I actually liked Bill at first, then his ego and arrogance became so inflated and huge and getting out of control with this makeup thing.
There was a period there when IIRC Shanks lost his radio show or newspaper gig or something involved with income, Maybe it was his book not selling, but I said something about his vanilla info on the Braves and he called me out for interfering with his livelihood.

Dalyn
08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
The title of this thread is misleading, by the way.

Krovahn
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Except Zito.I lol'd; sorry, Zito.

PawPawMaxwell
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't even see how that was relevant to begin with.
Maybe we are just constructed differently Cy,. it happens that I lost a 14 year old son who was a special needs child. Some had said he was retarded. now if that is too hard for you to grasp Im sorry for your shortcomings.

Im thru with this thread Sorry I started it in good faith.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Get to close my first ever thread... yay.

Metaphysicist
08-05-2013, 07:55 PM

I think Zito is as likely to be Brian Kenny as Brian Kenny is to be a poster on braves.scout.com.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
lol Meta you sly devil you.

Posting a reply in a closed thread. I like it. :cooter: