PDA

View Full Version : Around Baseball

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

gilesfan
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
"Quick mini-power rankings check?"

Heyward
08-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Dodgers just handled St Louis pretty easy without Hanley in St Louis.

How is St Louis better than LA?

jpx7
08-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Quick mini-power rankings check? I really don't know how I'd rank these teams, but I feel they're clearly the best in baseball right now:

Red Sox
Rays
Tigers
Braves
Pirates
Cardinals
Dodgers

I'm hesitant to list 7 teams but there really might be that many legit WS contenders this year. I feel like the Cardinals are the most likely to regress, despite great pitching, because they were hitting at such an absurd clip with RISP all season.

Tigers
Braves
Rays
Red Sox
Dodgers
Cardinals
Pirates

gilesfan
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Dodgers just handled St Louis pretty easy without Hanley in St Louis.

How is St Louis better than LA?

By looking at rosters. Unlike you I don't judge on small sample sizes.

The 4 games-

-Miller threw 2 pitches against them and was pulled. If Miller is out that could certainly change things.

-They had some guy named Carlos Martinez pitch.

-Cards beat Kershaw

-Greinke beat Wainwright.

Heyward
08-09-2013, 01:55 PM
By looking at rosters. Unlike you I don't judge on small sample sizes.

The 4 games-

-Miller threw 2 pitches against them and was pulled. If Miller is out that could certainly change things.

-They had some guy named Carlos Martinez pitch.

-Cards beat Kershaw

-Greinke beat Wainwright.

Miller seems ok, looks like he will make his next start.

Ok.

They scored 2 runs, woo hoo.

Sure did.

I look at the rosters too, LA is a better team.

Better rotation, bullpens are pretty close, lineup not quite as good but close.

I would give edge to LA because they have a better rotation which matters greatly in the playoffs.

BRule
08-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Best team in baseball.

Just went into St Louis without Hanley, and handled them fairly easily.

They knocked out 2 of the starters with injuries, relax.

Heyward
08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
They knocked out 2 of the starters with injuries, relax.

They also didn't have Hanley the entire series.

Even still, the Dodgers are better.

gilesfan
08-09-2013, 01:59 PM
They also didn't have Hanley the entire series.

Even still, the Dodgers are better.

And the Cards didn't have Molina, did they?

Heyward
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
And the Cards didn't have Molina, did they?

Dodgers were missing Kemp too.

And yes, St Louis was missing Yadi.

Dunit24
08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I dont know how anyone can be doubting the Dodgers right now. Cards are a good team, but the Dodgers are just plum lights out right now. Put it this way..if playoffs started now, id rather face the Cards.

BRule
08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Dodgers were missing Kemp too.

And yes, St Louis was missing Yadi.

Kemp has barely played all year....and when he has played, he's been horrible. Meanwhile, Yadi is an MVP canidate. And kind of has a huge effect on the pitching....

NinersSBChamps
08-09-2013, 09:46 PM
How much is Rios owed for the remainder of his contract?

thethe
08-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Peavy got shelled.

JusticeForAll23
08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Miggy is just scary this year....even more scary than last year which is saying a lot. He's may not quite get to 44 HR and 139 RBI, but his overall hitting numbers are going to be better.

2012: .330/.393/.606, 44 HR, 139 RBI, 164 OPS+, 7.8 oWAR

2013: .359/.454/.666, 33 HR, 105 RBI, 199 OPS+, 7.1 oWAR

And that's not including the 2 hits, 3 RBI, and HR he had tonight.

Gary82
08-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Yankees beat the Tigers and end their streak at 12. WE'RE THE BESTEST!

Bj1133
08-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Another reason to hate ESPN - they brought Keith Olberman back

JusticeForAll23
08-09-2013, 11:21 PM
And we're 10+ stories deep into this Sportscenter, and it's been all Yankees/Tigers and NFL preseason talk. Apparently 14-game win streaks don't impress them.

Bdawg2309
08-10-2013, 01:28 AM
price allows one 1 and the pen ****s it away..lol
what a horrible 9th inning for the rays as well.

Gary82
08-10-2013, 02:29 AM
What happened in LA is downright unbelievable. What a comeback.

**** the Dodgers.

CyYoung31
08-10-2013, 02:37 AM
What happened in LA is downright unbelievable. What a comeback.

**** the Dodgers.

They wish they had Brooks Conrad.

The Chosen One
08-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Confirmed that ESPN hates us now. Worse than the Brave New World redundancy.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/5kf3a9.jpg

thewupk
08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I saw that and laughed this morning. Braves have the longest winning streak in like 10 years and the best record in baseball but not much love. Oh well. The team is now 2nd in runs scored and 2nd fewest runs allowed. Very real chance of catching both the Cards and Pirates in those as well, especially in runs allowed. This team is good. Really good.

thethe
08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Any matchup is going to be tough int he first round. Honestly, I would like to see Pitt in the NLDS. Let St. Louis and LA beat eachother up.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Any matchup is going to be tough int he first round. Honestly, I would like to see Pitt in the NLDS. Let St. Louis and LA beat eachother up.

I would take on the Reds easily. Cards I think have peaked this year and aren't going to be nearly as good the rest of the way. I think the Braves will take homefield in the NL and play the winner of the wild card game which I think will be between the Reds/Cards.

thethe
08-10-2013, 08:26 AM
I would take on the Reds easily. Cards I think have peaked this year and aren't going to be nearly as good the rest of the way. I think the Braves will take homefield in the NL and play the winner of the wild card game which I think will be between the Reds/Cards.

Votto/Bruce along with their high end potential starting pitching worries me.

I still don't beleive the Pirates are anything special. You can shut that offense down. The Reds are a very talented team.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
On the Mets scout board.

Someone said...

The Pirates offered Marte, Taillon, Cole, Allie for Stanton, Cischek, and Ruggiano.

Obviously was turned down.

Would of taken that if I was the Marlins.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Votto/Bruce along with their high end potential starting pitching worries me.

I still don't beleive the Pirates are anything special. You can shut that offense down. The Reds are a very talented team.

Other than Choo, Bruce, and Votto their offense isn't good at all. Their like a worse version of the Braves in that the K a lot but aren't hitting as many homers. They may have some high end potential starting pitching but their still very inconsistent and the Braves pitching is easily better. The Braves are a better team and it's not really that close.

thethe
08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Other than Choo, Bruce, and Votto their offense isn't good at all. Their like a worse version of the Braves in that the K a lot but aren't hitting as many homers. They may have some high end potential starting pitching but their still very inconsistent and the Braves pitching is easily better. The Braves are a better team and it's not really that close.

I'm not saying that I believe teh Reds are better. I just would rather play the Pirates. I still don't believe in that team. I'd be surprised if they took more than 1 game against us in a series.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm not saying that I believe teh Reds are better. I just would rather play the Pirates. I still don't believe in that team. I'd be surprised if they took more than 1 game against us in a series.

Overall I don't see much difference between the teams except the Pirates play better defense. Offensively they don't have someone like Votto although Cutch is close. But they have a lot of average or better hitters. Not many black holes.

thethe
08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Pirates have one guy you NEED to pitch around. The Reds have three legitimate offensive threats on their team. I also think that their top arms (Bailey/Latos) are better than the Pirates.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Pirates have one guy you NEED to pitch around. The Reds have three legitimate offensive threats on their team. I also think that their top arms (Bailey/Latos) are better than the Pirates.

Reds have a lot of players you can go to that you can get an out or strikeout pretty easily. That isn't the case with the Pirates.

yeezus
08-10-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm with you, not a Pirates believer. Would rather see them than the Reds.

zitothebrave
08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
On the Mets scout board.

Someone said...

The Pirates offered Marte, Taillon, Cole, Allie for Stanton, Cischek, and Ruggiano.

Obviously was turned down.

Would of taken that if I was the Marlins.

That's why you're not a GM. There are some good pieces in there but put him on the market and you'll see much better players and prospects involved. Stanton on the block would be like Heyward on the block, no offer is out of the question.

zitothebrave
08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm with you, not a Pirates believer. Would rather see them than the Reds.

The Reds have 3 guys who're hitting right now, Votto, Choo, and Bruce. Everyone else is below average. The Pirates only have one Megastar (cutch) but the rest of their lineup is filled with tough outs. The Pirates offense is built a lot like the Braves, no real weakness to it top to bottom.

wRC+

Cutch 150
Marte 120
Martin 115
Alvarez 115
Walker 118

Then they've had above average production from their guys with less PA like Mercer, Sanchez Tabata and Jones

Again not a stellar impossible to beat team, but they don't really have a weakness aside from SS.

Pitching wise they have 2 guys pitching amazing so far this year in Burnett and Liriano, and 2 young arms who've done really well in Locke and Cole (Lock is over-performing his peripherals but still has been great) The most dangerous thing about the Pirates though is Melacon and Grilli right now are the best 1/2 bullpen punch in baseball. Of course Kimbrel is still the most dominating when on, and Walden has been great. But those 2 have been sick.

Overall Pirates have better position players than the Reds (they have the same team wRC+ but the Pirates are way better defensively) and better pitchign (though probably also about equal when you adjust for park) They're well balanced teams.

No matter who we play in the playoffs it will be tough. This isn't the NFL where there's usually a team who sneaks in because of a cake schedule or dumb luck.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Uhh, Brandon Phillips is reallllly good.

That's like saying if you pitch around Heyward, JUp, FF and Mac, our offense isn't very good. Not to mention they'll get Ludwick back sometime in the next month or so. LF has been such a weakness since he's out.

And their rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, and Leake/Arroyo is pretty solid.

I'd take their rotation over ours, bullpen not so much though they will have Cingrani in the bullpen.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I went to bed last night thinking the Rays beat the Dodgers. WTF happened to the Rays bullpen?

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
I went to bed last night thinking the Rays beat the Dodgers. WTF happened to the Rays bullpen?

Rodney happened.

He had a ball hit to him, would of been a DP if he threw it to second, goes into the outfield. Would of gone to extras.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Uhh, Brandon Phillips is reallllly good.

That's like saying if you pitch around Heyward, JUp, FF and Mac, our offense isn't very good.

And their rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, and Leake/Arroyo is pretty solid.

Looking at rbi again? Phillips has a 94 wrc+ which is obviously below average. He is not a good hitter. Overall he's a good player becuase he doesn't suck as a hitter and he's a good fielder and usually a good base runner. But his offensive numbers are a product of that park.

Uggla would be the Reds 4th best hitter. That's all that really needs to be said about that. Yes those 4 our the teams best hitters imo. But Johnson is hitting extremely well this year and doesn't seem to be slowing down. But the rest of our lineup is a ton better then the Reds. Uggla is a league average hitter. BJ can obviously go on a tear at any given time and seems to have corrected himself. Simmons is hitting a lot better since the break and has had quite a bit of bad babip luck the first half.

Our lineup is not easy to go through. We have guys up and down the team that can carry the team. The Reds have 3 guys and they strikeout a ton. Easy to pick your spots there. We have some strikeout guys too. But if you make mistakes with them they will hurt you. The only strikeout guy like that on the Reds is Bruce.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Rodney happened.

He had a ball hit to him, would of been a DP if he threw it to second, goes into the outfield. Would of gone to extras.

I don't know why Maddon keeps running him out there in the closer's roll. The Rays would have 10 more wins this season if it weren't for Fernando ****ing Rodney! Jake McGee should be the damn closer! But Maddon is being so stubborn on this and I just don't understand it.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Looking at rbi again? Phillips has a 94 wrc+ which is obviously below average. He is not a good hitter. Overall he's a good player becuase he doesn't suck as a hitter and he's a good fielder and usually a good base runner. But his offensive numbers are a product of that park.

Uggla would be the Reds 4th best hitter. That's all that really needs to be said about that. Yes those 4 our the teams best hitters imo. But Johnson is hitting extremely well this year and doesn't seem to be slowing down. But the rest of our lineup is a ton better then the Reds. Uggla is a league average hitter. BJ can obviously go on a tear at any given time and seems to have corrected himself. Simmons is hitting a lot better since the break and has had quite a bit of bad babip luck the first half.

Our lineup is not easy to go through. We have guys up and down the team that can carry the team. The Reds have 3 guys and they strikeout a ton. Easy to pick your spots there. We have some strikeout guys too. But if you make mistakes with them they will hurt you. The only strikeout guy like that on the Reds is Bruce.

Mesaraco
Votto
BP
Cozart
Frazier
Ludwick
Choo
Bruce

Is a pretty good lineup

Acting like they only have 3 good hitters is foolish talk and ignorant.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't know why Maddon keeps running him out there in the closer's roll. The Rays would have 10 more wins this season if it weren't for Fernando ****ing Rodney! Jake McGee should be the damn closer! But Maddon is being so stubborn on this and I just don't understand it.

Rodney has actually been pretty good lately prior to last night.

Sometimes as a closer you just don't have it that night.

Hurts my fantasy team, had David Price, smh.

#KillTheWin

thewupk
Mesaraco
Votto
BP
Cozart
Frazier
Ludwick
Choo
Bruce

Is a pretty good lineup

Acting like they only have 3 good hitters is foolish talk and ignorant.

Then why do only Votto, Choo, and Bruce have an wrc+ above 100 if they are all good?

AUTiger7222

The reason Phillips has all those RBI's is because he has a wRC+ of 171 with RISP. A slash line of .377/.436/.549 (.985) in 150 PA. So no you cannot pitch around him with guys on base. That's why he's hitting cleanup.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Then why do only Votto, Choo, and Bruce have an wrc+ above 100 if they are all good?

Did I say the entire lineup is good?

I said its a solid lineup top to bottom.

You're the one acting like they have three good hitters and the rest are a bunch of scrubs.

And Brandon Phillips is a very good hitter/player.

Count me in as rather playing the Pirates over the Reds or Cards. Though if they were to play in the WC game, they may have to waste Waino/Latos, and he could only pitch once in a 5 game series.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 10:42 AM
The reason Phillips has all those RBI's is because he has a wRC+ of 171 with RISP. A slash line of .377/.436/.549 (.985) in 150 PA. So no you cannot pitch around him with guys on base. That's why he's hitting cleanup.

Which is also a fluke. Players don't suddenly get better with RISP.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Rodney has actually been pretty good lately prior to last night.

Sometimes as a closer you just don't have it that night.

Hurts my fantasy team, had David Price, smh.

#KillTheWin

This is 2 blown saves in a row for Rodney in his last 2 games. He's now up to 7 this season. And that a few other games where he's escaped by the skin of his teeth. Games where he's given up runs but still had a big enough lead to get the save. Rodney just should not be the closer. He's been horrible this season.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Did I say the entire lineup is good?

I said its a solid lineup top to bottom.

You're the one acting like they have three good hitters and the rest are a bunch of scrubs.

Well the rest are below average hitters which is the point I'm trying to make. They aren't a horrible offensive since the guys that are good are really good and carry their offense but outside of those guys there are a lot of outs you can get pretty easy. That can't be said for the Pirates who are solid up and down the lineup.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Well the rest are below average hitters which is the point I'm trying to make. They aren't a horrible offensive since the guys that are good are really good and carry their offense but outside of those guys there are a lot of outs you can get pretty easy. That can't be said for the Pirates who are solid up and down the lineup.

You think the Pirates have a better offense than the Reds? If the Pirates had a good offense they wouldn't be 23rd in the majors in runs scored. The freaking ****ty Cubs have scored more runs than the Pirates. The Pirates win because of insane pitching.

EDIT: Pirates as a team have a .702 OPS.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:48 AM

So you'd take the Pirates 1-8 over the Reds 1-8?

Pirates lineup isn't as bad as some say but the Reds lineup is far tougher especially once they get Ludwick back in the lineup.

Reds lineup is very solid.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
The Reds are 4th in the NL in runs scored.

But it's three players and a bunch of scrubs, smh.

This guy.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:51 AM
So you'd take the Pirates 1-8 over the Reds 1-8?

Pirates lineup isn't as bad as some say but the Reds lineup is far tougher especially once they get Ludwick back in the lineup.

Reds lineup is very solid.

Reds offense is clearly and easily better than the Pirates.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Reds offense is clearly and easily better than the Pirates.

Not sure about easily, but it's better without a doubt.

There are 4-5 guys you fear in the Reds lineup, maybe 2-3 in the Pirates lineup.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 10:54 AM

There are more outs to get in both lineups, Pirates is easier to pitch too, hands down.

AUTiger7222
08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Not sure about easily, but it's better without a doubt.

There are 4-5 guys you fear in the Reds lineup, maybe 2-3 in the Pirates lineup.

The only guys I worry about in the Pirates lineup with McCutchen and Alvarez. And Alvarez strikes out a ton but if you make a mistake he'll crush it. The rest I don't worry about. In the Reds lineup there's Votto, Bruce, Choo, Phillips and Frazier, Frazier doesn't have great numbers but he's capable of hitting the ball out if you make a mistake.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The only guys I worry about in the Pirates lineup with McCutchen and Alvarez. And Alvarez strikes out a ton but if you make a mistake he'll crush it. The rest I don't worry about. In the Reds lineup there's Votto, Bruce, Choo, Phillips and Frazier, Frazier doesn't have great numbers but he's capable of hitting the ball out if you make a mistake.

They'll get Ludwick back as well.

Marte is very good too but pretty much agree.

Reds have a really good lineup.

As someone else said, Pirates are where they are because of amazing pitching especially from the bullpen.

bravesnumberone
08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Honestly if I had to pick a team to face in the postseason, assuming we had homefield advantage, it'd be the Pirates. Don't want any part of the Dodgers until the NLCS and hopefully not even then. Don't want any part of the Cardinals because they always turn it on that time of the year. I'd probably rather face Reds pitching and rather face Pirates hitting.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Honestly if I had to pick a team to face in the postseason, assuming we had homefield advantage, it'd be the Pirates. Don't want any part of the Dodgers until the NLCS and hopefully not even then. Don't want any part of the Cardinals because they always turn it on that time of the year. I'd probably rather face Reds pitching and rather face Pirates hitting.

I agree on the Cardinals, but only if they came in from the WC.

They would probably throw Waino, and he'd only be able to pitch once in the series. Same with the Reds on Latos.

yeezus
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
The Reds are ahead of the Pirates in every offensive category.

yeezus
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
And yes I trust Bailey and Latos over Locke and Liriano. Liriano got absolutely rocked last night.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 03:58 PM
The Reds are 4th in the NL in runs scored.

But it's three players and a bunch of scrubs, smh.

This guy.

park effects. look them up. i guess you think the rockies have an awesome offense because of runs scored, right?

thewupk
08-10-2013, 03:59 PM
The Reds are ahead of the Pirates in every offensive category.

look into park effects. they help raw numbers. they are equal in team wrc+ which accounts for that.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
look into park effects. they help raw numbers. they are equal in team wrc+ which accounts for that.

You can't convince anyone the Pirates are a better offensive team than the Reds.

Terrible argument.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 04:18 PM
You can't convince anyone the Pirates are a better offensive team than the Reds.

Terrible argument.

I didn't say better. I said equal. And for anyone that knows about park effects would agree with me. The Reds play in one of the better hitting parks in the league. The Pirates are one of the worst. That is going to have a major effect on raw offensive numbers.

Heyward
08-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I didn't say better. I said equal. And for anyone that knows about park effects would agree with me. The Reds play in one of the better hitting parks in the league. The Pirates are one of the worst. That is going to have a major effect on raw offensive numbers.

Yes, it does but it's not equal.

Pirates aren't a great offensive team, Reds are a pretty good offensive team, much better than the Pirates.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes, it does but it's not equal.

Pirates aren't a great offensive team, Reds are a pretty good offensive team, much better than the Pirates.

I guess that's why they essentially have the same team OPS in road games then. 707 for the Reds and 708 for the Pirates. Reds averaging 4.03 runs per road game and Pirates 3.98 runs per road game. It must mean the Reds are just so much better.

zbhargrove
08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I guess that's why they essentially have the same team OPS in road games then. 707 for the Reds and 708 for the Pirates. Reds averaging 4.03 runs per road game and Pirates 3.98 runs per road game. It must mean the Reds are just so much better.

Even if they were equal because park effects... At some point we have to play in their park... I'd still rather face the offense in a worse offensive park. But trying to say the Pirates lineup is equal to the Reds bc of park effects is laughable at best. The Reds clearly have a better lineup.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Even if they were equal because park effects... At some point we have to play in their park... I'd still rather face the offense in a worse offensive park. But trying to say the Pirates lineup is equal to the Reds bc of park effects is laughable at best. The Reds clearly have a better lineup.

You are right. We would have to play in Pittsburgh and our offense wouldn't be as good and their pitching would be that much better. It works both ways.

If the Reds clearly had a better lineup it would show up in their road numbers. The fact that are essentially equal tells me that overall that have equal lineups. Can't believe in 2013 people still don't understand what park effects can do to raw offensive numbers.

zbhargrove
08-10-2013, 04:58 PM
You are right. We would have to play in Pittsburgh and our offense wouldn't be as good and their pitching would be that much better. It works both ways.

If the Reds clearly had a better lineup it would show up in their road numbers. The fact that are essentially equal tells me that overall that have equal lineups. Can't believe in 2013 people still don't understand what park effects can do to raw offensive numbers.

I completely understand park effects and have for sometime, thank you very much. I also understand it is a human created metric and has flaws just like any statistic. It is impossible to normalize all statistics on an equal playing field adjusting for parks 100%. I am a statistician in many ways and have taken countless statistics classes as a meteorologist. I know the limitations of statistics and in baseball I prefer the eyeball test. I have seen both teams play many times and the Reds lineup passes the eyeball test every time.

chopdrew
08-10-2013, 04:59 PM
In other, less douchy news, the Tampa Bay Rays pulled off the hidden ball trick today. Love me some old-timey trickeration.

thewupk
08-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I completely understand park effects and have for sometime, thank you very much. I also understand it is a human created metric and has flaws just like any statistic. It is impossible to normalize all statistics on an equal playing field adjusting for parks 100%. I am a statistician in many ways and have taken countless statistics classes as a meteorologist. I know the limitations of statistics and in baseball I prefer the eyeball test. I have seen both teams play many times and the Reds lineup passes the eyeball test every time.

The eyeball test. Figured it wouldn't be long before that argument came out. The eyeball test is way more flawed than most advanced statistics. Simply because you can't watch enough games to correctly make any kind of assessment. You say you've watched both teams play man times. I seriously doubt it's that much when compared to every game they have played this year and then compare that to what every other team is doing.

cajunrevenge
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Head the Marlins turned down Starling Marte, Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon, and Stetson Allie for Giancarlo Stanton. I think they are going to regret that. Like Hanley they are going to wait until he is almost a salary dump to trade him. I would have even put Fernandez out there to see if I could have gotten a mega deal for him too. Stanton's stock could start to drop with his lack of production, injury problems, and less service time. Fernandez looks great but young pitchers are highly volatile, they could have gotten a whole infield for him.

Heyward
08-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Head the Marlins turned down Starling Marte, Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon, and Stetson Allie for Giancarlo Stanton. I think they are going to regret that. Like Hanley they are going to wait until he is almost a salary dump to trade him. I would have even put Fernandez out there to see if I could have gotten a mega deal for him too. Stanton's stock could start to drop with his lack of production, injury problems, and less service time. Fernandez looks great but young pitchers are highly volatile, they could have gotten a whole infield for him.

Posted the same a few days ago.

If true, pretty dumb.

I doubt anyone offers much better.

Regards to Fernandez, that's like us trading Julio right now, umm would you do that?

cajunrevenge
08-11-2013, 06:22 PM
The difference is the Braves dont have as many holes to fill and dont have the payroll restrictions the Marlins do. The reason I would have considered it is because if the Marlins did the Stanton/Pirates deal they would already have a lot of good young starters. The outfield would be great with Marte + 3 good prospects in Yelich/Marisnik/Ozuna. The infield however is an abysmal situation however. Fernandez is good enough to make some off limits prospects be put on the table. Depends on the offers but if I could get an offer like Bogarts/Middlebrooks/Owens or Profar/Olt/Odor I would highly consider it. Fernandez is great but you never know with young pitching.

Heyward
08-11-2013, 06:29 PM
The difference is the Braves dont have as many holes to fill and dont have the payroll restrictions the Marlins do. The reason I would have considered it is because if the Marlins did the Stanton/Pirates deal they would already have a lot of good young starters. The outfield would be great with Marte + 3 good prospects in Yelich/Marisnik/Ozuna. The infield however is an abysmal situation however. Fernandez is good enough to make some off limits prospects be put on the table. Depends on the offers but if I could get an offer like Bogarts/Middlebrooks/Owens or Profar/Olt/Odor I would highly consider it. Fernandez is great but you never know with young pitching.

You aren't wrong, but trading Fernandez is dumb. He's arguably a top 15-20 pitcher already and just turned 21, trading him for prospects is stupid.

All of Fernandez, Alvarez, Eovaldi, Turner are under control until 2018-2019, there isnt a reason to deal them. Not like any of them are getting expensive anytime soon.

You are right on the infield though.

The Chosen One
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
The Braves have one more win than Tampa. I'll be shocked if Boston isn't ahead of Atlanta in ESPN's Power Rankings come tomorrow.

gilesfan
08-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Even raw numbers the Pirates are pretty much even withi the Reds. The Reds have 3 hitters.

People continue to just not realize how much the ballpark affects things.

thethe
08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Need to avoid the Dodgers at all cost in the first round. Have to get homefield.

cajunrevenge
08-11-2013, 09:21 PM
And people would have said the Braves were stupid if they traded Hanson mid 2011 when he had an ERA under 3 too. People would have said the Cubs were stupid for trading Kerry Wood after 2003. Not saying Fernandez's career will take a nose dive but sometimes you need to diversify your stock if you know what I mean. I would bet you that out of Teheran/Harvey/Fernandez atleast one will have an ERA over 4 and have injury issues next year.

Gary82
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
The Braves have one more win than Tampa. I'll be shocked if Boston isn't ahead of Atlanta in ESPN's Power Rankings come tomorrow.

Buster knows what's up

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
This week’s Top 10: 1. Atlanta 2. Detroit 3. Boston 4. Dodgers 5. Pittsburgh 6. STL 7. Texas 8. Tampa Bay 9. Oakland 10. CIN. Fire away.

gtcway
08-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Need to avoid the Dodgers at all cost in the first round. Have to get homefield.

I think the dodgers end up with the best record and homefield.

JusticeForAll23
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
The Dodgers are 37-8 (.822) in their last 45 games? And they're still "only" 67-50.

tululush
08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Not really sure how we'd be able to beat Kershaw who'd pitch twice and then Greinke and Ryu in a playoff series.

Gary82
08-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Not really sure how we'd be able to beat Kershaw who'd pitch twice and then Greinke and Ryu in a playoff series.

The same way we beat everyone else's ace. Have our SP go a good seven innings and let the bullpen shut them down until we can muster up the winning runs.

The Chosen One
08-11-2013, 10:40 PM
The same way we beat everyone else's ace. Have our SP go a good seven innings and let the bullpen shut them down until we can muster up the winning runs.

Or the conventional way everyone used to beat our pitching staff in the postseason.

Score runs early and pressure the other team to try and score and come back.

Gary82
08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Exactly. If we're up after six or seven, the advantage steers heavily toward us.

If it's a tie game, the goal is to just outlast their ace. They can't pitch 9, 10, 11, 12 innings. Our bullpen can give shutdown inning after shutdown inning.

Heyward
08-12-2013, 12:29 AM

You aren't wrong but I don't see us doing much vs Kershaw/Greinke.

Heyward
08-12-2013, 12:30 AM
And people would have said the Braves were stupid if they traded Hanson mid 2011 when he had an ERA under 3 too. People would have said the Cubs were stupid for trading Kerry Wood after 2003. Not saying Fernandez's career will take a nose dive but sometimes you need to diversify your stock if you know what I mean. I would bet you that out of Teheran/Harvey/Fernandez atleast one will have an ERA over 4 and have injury issues next year.

Different circumstances.

Fernandez could flame out or get hurt, so could Julio. Pitchers are risky, even still they don't need to trade him.

thewupk
08-12-2013, 12:43 AM
You aren't wrong but I don't see us doing much vs Kershaw/Greinke.

You also didn't see us winning any of the games against the Nats trio of Stras/Gio/Zimmerman. Or the Cards Wainwright/Miller.

Runnin
08-12-2013, 01:16 AM
The Skanks need to quit celebrating their wins as if someone cares if they win or not. They aren't going anywhere.

thewupk
08-12-2013, 01:23 AM
I hope people realize just how historic of a season Cabrera is having right now. WRC+ of 205. When you take out Bonds' roid years he very well could have the best offensive season ever since Williams and Mantle's 57 season.

Gary82
08-12-2013, 01:56 AM
I hope people realize just how historic of a season Cabrera is having right now. WRC+ of 205. When you take out Bonds' roid years he very well could have the best offensive season ever since Williams and Mantle's 57 season.

a wRC+ of 205 is inner inner circle HOF territory.

btw McGwire had a 205 mark in the year he hit 70.

Dalyn
08-12-2013, 02:24 AM
He is incredible.

JusticeForAll23
08-12-2013, 02:52 AM
a wRC+ of 205 is inner inner circle HOF territory.

btw McGwire had a 205 mark in the year he hit 70.
How about Bonds from 2001 to 2004?

2001: 235 wRC+; .573 wOBA
2002: 244 wRC+; .544 wOBA
2003: 212 wRC+; .503 wOBA
2004: 233 wRC+; .537 wOBA

Of course Bonds and McGwire were juicing. Oh, and Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell both had a wRC+ of 205 in 1994.

But Miggy is having an insane year. Along with the 205 wRC+, he's got a .474 wOBA.

Runnin
08-12-2013, 04:34 AM
I hope he is still enjoying a cold beer or 3 after the game.

cajunrevenge
08-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Speaking of the hall of fame I just discovered that no #1 overall pick has been inducted into the hall of fame. Griffey will probably be the first and Chipper the second.

thethe
08-12-2013, 07:45 AM
I think the dodgers end up with the best record and homefield.

I think we have a nice jump on them. We should be able to get there.

NYCBrave
08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
The Dodgers are 37-8 (.822) in their last 45 games? And they're still "only" 67-50.

There's no way they can keep playing at that level, it's impossible

nsacpi
08-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Anything can happen in a short series. See Giants over Tigers World Series 2012. See what Pablo Sandoval did against Justin Verlander. See what Barry Zito did that series.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 08:08 AM
We have a lineup that might strike out a lot in a postseason game against aces.

We also have a lineup that can light them mother fuggers up.

Ill take my chances

Heyward
08-12-2013, 11:51 AM
You also didn't see us winning any of the games against the Nats trio of Stras/Gio/Zimmerman. Or the Cards Wainwright/Miller.

Well, we didn't score a ton vs them except Waino, soooo.

zbhargrove
08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, we didn't score a ton vs them except Waino, soooo.

Well yah, when you have aces involved its typically going to be a close game... we still won the games... its not like it was a fluke.

gtcway
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I think we have a nice jump on them. We should be able to get there.

They're only what, 4 1/2 games behind.

Tapate50
08-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Tommy Hanson of the 5.59 ERA, has been sent to AAA by the Angels

cajunrevenge
08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
ESPN article called Chris Johnson the teams best hitter in an article today. Proving yet again they dont pay attention to the Braves.

cajunrevenge
08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
MLB beat the streak is offering a 1 day contest to pick 57 hitters today instead of the usual 2 a day. Worse odds than the lottery but its free atleast.

CrimsonCowboy
08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Rangers release Manny Ramirez

Gary82
08-13-2013, 06:06 PM
ESPN article called Chris Johnson the teams best hitter in an article today. Proving yet again they dont pay attention to the Braves.

He has the highest batting average, so he must be the best hitter.

That kind of reasoning is expected on MLBN, not ESPN.

Krgrecw
08-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Jose Abreu defected yesterday. Dude can hit. Some say he's one of the best hitters in the game. He's going to get paid

Bj1133
08-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Jose Abreu defected yesterday. Dude can hit. Some say he's one of the best hitters in the game. He's going to get paid

Too bad he is a 1B instead of a 3B

bravesnumberone
08-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Marte just dropped a fly ball that led to a blown save against the Cards. Going to extras.

Gary82
08-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Pirates locked into another epic baseball game.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Lots of crazy stuff happening in this one.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Cards win in 14.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Cards win in 14.

Hopefully it's not another demoralizing loss like when we beat then in extras.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Braves now have the best record in the NL by 2 games over the Pirates and ....only 3.5 over the Dodgers. If LA doesn't cool off, they're going to end up with the best record at season's end.

Bdawg2309
08-14-2013, 03:37 AM
i'm surprised Ryu hasn't gotten much attention

CrimsonCowboy
08-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Royals have acquired Emilio Bonifacio

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Royals have acquired Emilio Bonifacio

They got him for almost nothing, maybe just cash too. I am not sure why we didn't get him before the trade deadline. I am guessing the Royals claimed him on waivers before working out the deal. Good move by them.

Heyward
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
They got him for almost nothing, maybe just cash too. I am not sure why we didn't get him before the trade deadline. I am guessing the Royals claimed him on waivers before working out the deal. Good move by them.

Bonafacio sucks, not sure why people want him.

He's no different from Pastornicky.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Bonafacio sucks, not sure why people want him.

He's no different from Pastornicky.

So Pastornicky "sucks"? The Braves have liked him for a while so it's not just fans. Bonafacio can play more positions than Pastornicky (including third base). But the main reason why folks wanted him was because he can hit better than Janish. He's also likely to hit better in the NL than he has in the AL thus far, IMO. Bonafacio would've also gave us another switch hitter too.

Keep in mind, Pena did little in the AL before coming here. He was waived a number of times too. I imagine you'd say he "sucks" too before coming here.

Heyward
08-14-2013, 12:31 PM
So Pastornicky "sucks"? The Braves have liked him for a while so it's not just fans. Bonafacio can play more positions than Pastornicky (including third base). But the main reason why folks wanted him was because he can hit better than Janish. He's also likely to hit better in the NL than he has in the AL thus far, IMO. Bonafacio would've also gave us another switch hitter too.

No, Pastor can play 2nd, short, 3rd and some outfield if needed.

Same as Bonafacio.

He's a decent player but nothing special.

BRule
08-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Because he's horrible.

Edit: He's fast, sorry.....horrible and fast.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:38 PM
No, Pastor can play 2nd, short, 3rd and some outfield if needed.

Same as Bonafacio.

He's a decent player but nothing special.

Everyone knows Pastornicky is awful at short. Plus he's only played one game at third which I covered recently. He's also yet to play a full game in the outfield. So what you say is hardly an accurate comp.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Because he's horrible.

Edit: He's fast, sorry.....horrible and fast.

He's having a bad year in the AL after being an NL player. That's not a big surprise.

Again, I recall hearing the same about Pena before he came here. Some players just fit or do better in the NL than the AL.

sturg33
08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Bonofacio is really bad. WHy do people want him so badly?

Heyward
08-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Everyone knows Pastornicky is awful at short. Plus he's only played one game at third which I covered recently. He's also yet to play a full game in the outfield. So what you say is hardly an accurate comp.

Whatever, Bonafacio sucks, why people think he's so awesome, I have no idea.

Not a big deal not trading for him.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Pena is really bad. WHy do people want him so badly?

Fixed, just going back to before the season at scout for ya. :happy0157:

That said, no one wanted him as a starter. We just wanted him to replace Janish on the bench, that's all.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Whatever, Bonafacio sucks, why people think he's so awesome, I have no idea.

Save the childish nonsense, I am not playing that game with ya.

sturg33
08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Fixed, just going back to before the season at scout for ya. :happy0157:

That said, no one wanted him as a starter. We just wanted him to replace Janish on the bench, that's all.

But Bonofacio has a really long track record or terribleness. Both in the NL and AL.

Pena had a small sample, but I'd still be happy to wager that we have seen the best of Pena.

Heyward
08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Save the childish nonsense, I am not playing that game with ya.

Not playing games, what is so good about Bonafacio that we don't have in TP?

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
But Bonofacio has a really long track record or terribleness. Both in the NL and AL.

Pena had a small sample, but I'd still be happy to wager that we have seen the best of Pena.

Bonafacio is still a career .261 hitter overall even with having a bad year in the AL. Plus he plays a lot of positions, switch hits, and steal a lot of bases without getting caught much. Further, I don't recall anyone suggesting him (at least not recently) to start for us. He was suggested only for a bench option to replace Janish.

That said, there won't be a lot to choose from during the waiver period to replace Janish.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 01:14 PM
what is so good about Bonafacio that we don't have in TP?

No one said he was anything special, certainly not me. But he's not a bad bench option and upgrade to Janish with the bat. Further, I already explained the differences between him and Pastornicky. Besides, Pastornicky is now our starter at second for possibly the next three or four weeks (depending on how fast Uggla comes back). So he's not really a bench back-up player a la Janish at this point.

BRule
08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
He's having a bad year in the AL after being an NL player. That's not a big surprise.

Again, I recall hearing the same about Pena before he came here. Some players just fit or do better in the NL than the AL.

Why do people keep saying this?

He had 1 semi ok year in Miami, 2011. He was horrible last year, he sucked in 2009 and only played in 70 games in 2010.

His wRC+ while in the NL: 61, 75, 109, 79....in other words....he was really, really, really bad.

He's a 260 hitter, with Francoeur like OBP skills and a 650 OPS for his career....OH...AND....he's a horrid defender (NEGATIVE 15 for his career)

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Why do people keep saying this?

He had 1 semi ok year in Miami, 2011. He was horrible last year, he sucked in 2009 and only played in 70 games in 2010.

His wRC+ while in the NL: 61, 75, 109, 79....in other words....he was really, really, really bad.

He's a 260 hitter, with Francoeur like OBP skills and a 650 OPS for his career....OH...AND....he's a horrid defender (NEGATIVE 15 for his career)

Wow, I see y'all like drama in your debates (even over a suggestion to replace Janish on the bench).

If you're going to point out that Bonafacio is -15 DRS for his career, you should point out that this is at six different positions (and that he's actually has a 6 DRS this year at second and 1 DRS at third for his career). Plus while in the negative for his career much of that is at two of six different positions. It's also not as bad as you say, Uggla is -15 DRS just for this year alone at one position!

BRule
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Wow, I see y'all like drama in your debates (even over a suggestion to replace Janish on the bench).

If you're going to point out that Bonafacio is -15 DRS for his career, you should point out that this is at six different positions (and that he's actually has a 6 DRS this year at second and 1 DRS at third for his career). Plus while in the negative for his career much of that is at two of six different positions. It's also not as bad as you say, Uggla is -15 DRS just for this year alone at one position!

There's no drama, just showing facts that Boni isn't a good player and not worth trading for. He does ONE thing well, run, we have Constanza or Schafer for that.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 02:25 PM
There's no drama, just showing facts that Boni isn't a good player and not worth trading for. He does ONE thing well, run, we have Constanza or Schafer for that.

No drama, nor is someone stating opinion as "facts"...

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Did I hear right today? The Dodgers' current stretch of winning is the best since the 1951 Giants? Either they're gonna stay this way and win the WS, or they're going to really come crashing back down to Earth.

BRule
08-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Stats are rather factual.

JusticeForAll23
08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Miggy with another HR and 3 more RBI's today. Don't know if he'll catch Davis, but he's been on HR tear lately.

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 04:27 PM

I don't see any drama here at all... just facts... sorry dude, Bonafacio sucks and its pretty clear. I don't want him anywhere near our team.

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM

If that was drama, you are the most sensitive person ever. He never once personally attacked you... he told you Bonafacio sucks and simply backed it up with factual statistics... I'm still trying to find the drama.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
If that was drama, you are the most sensitive person ever. He never once personally attacked you... he told you Bonafacio sucks and simply backed it up with factual statistics... I'm still trying to find the drama.

I'd hardly call using statistics out of context (which I put in context in my reply) factual. Nor would I call it a fact to state ones opinion as such. I could go on but it's not worth anymore of my time.

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd hardly call using statistics out of context (which I put in context in my reply) factual. Nor would I call it a fact to state ones opinion as such. I could go on but it's not worth anymore of my time.

How did you put the stats he referred to in context? You didn't even mention the stats he used. You just spouted off a bunch of defensive stats. Even if he was a good defensive player, we already have one of those to back up the infield in Janish... who is worlds better defensively. He mentioned several hard offensive stats that cannot be refuted and hardly mentioned them out of context. Its not like he skewed the data here... I just think you didn't realize how much of terrible offensive player he is. Defensively, I'd say he's average to below average even based on the statistics you supplied.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 05:08 PM
How did you put the stats he referred to in context? You didn't even mention the stats he used.

I broke down the defensive stats that he used without any context. So to state that I didn't even use the stats he did is nonsense. He said that Bonifacio had a career -15 DRS. I replied giving the context: "...this is at six different positions (and that he's actually has a 6 DRS this year at second and 1 DRS at third for his career). Plus while in the negative for his career much of that is at two of six different positions. It's also not as bad as you say, Uggla is -15 DRS just for this year alone at one position!"

As far as his offensive stats go, I didn't see a reason to cover that again.

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I broke down the defensive stats that he used without any context. So to state that I didn't even use the stats he did is nonsense. He said that Bonifacio had a career -15 DRS. I replied giving the context: "...this is at six different positions (and that he's actually has a 6 DRS this year at second and 1 DRS at third for his career). Plus while in the negative for his career much of that is at two of six different positions. It's also not as bad as you say, Uggla is -15 DRS just for this year alone at one position!"

As far as his offensive stats go, I didn't see a reason to cover that again.

Yah not too much to cover other than he's an abysmal offensive player.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Yah not too much to cover other than he's an abysmal offensive player.

If so, what does that make someone like Janish with the bat? A special type of terrible? Don't answer that. :happy0157:

Seriously, no one wanted him to start as I've stated repeatedly. We just liked him as bench option over Janish.

yeezus
08-14-2013, 06:42 PM
If so, what does that make someone like Janish with the bat? A special type of terrible? Don't answer that. :happy0157:

Seriously, no one wanted him to start as I've stated repeatedly. We just liked him as bench option over Janish.

Janish is a defensive back-up. He can't hit a lick. Bonifacio would not be a defensive backup.
Pastornicky could easily put up the offensive numbers Bonifacio has.
That's everyone's point. Bonifacio isn't better than Janish on defense, and isn't better than Pastornicky offensively. So what's the point.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Janish is a defensive back-up. He can't hit a lick. Bonifacio would not be a defensive backup.
Pastornicky could easily put up the offensive numbers Bonifacio has.
That's everyone's point. Bonifacio isn't better than Janish on defense, and isn't better than Pastornicky offensively. So what's the point.

If you missed the point(s) go back to read my posts. I don't see the need to copy and paste again when this has been answered already.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Mark Bradley had a blog posted today, wondering if Michael Young, who's cleared waivers, would be a fit on the Braves, as a bench bat/plan B in case Uggla doesn't come back.

I know he's not very good defensively, but I don't it's a terrible idea. Gives some more veteran leadership if nothing else.

yeezus
08-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Mark Bradley had a blog posted today, wondering if Michael Young, who's cleared waivers, would be a fit on the Braves, as a bench bat/plan B in case Uggla doesn't come back.

I know he's not very good defensively, but I don't it's a terrible idea. Gives some more veteran leadership if nothing else.

Young isn't a 2B?

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Young isn't a 2B?

Not anymore. He's played the position before.

yeezus
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Not anymore. He's played the position before.

Right, and he's terrible at 3rd, no way I put him at 2nd.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Probably not, but we've got to get someone who can at least hit.

yeezus
08-14-2013, 09:04 PM

I'd rather just let LaStella play. No sense in bringing in Young, IMO.

Heyward
08-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Meh, for the time being just go with Janish and someone else.

If Pastor is out for awhile.

Or call up LaStella.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Well it doesn't appear the Pirates let last night's loss get to them. Up 5-0 in the 8th.

Bdawg2309
08-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Well it doesn't appear the Pirates let last night's loss get to them. Up 5-0 in the 8th.

yeah, they've had a few bad losses in the past few weeks and it hasn't affected them... i've been hoping they slip up..doesn't look like they will this season

JusticeForAll23
08-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Yeah and we're more than capable. Don't forget how hot and cold Atlanta is. Would it surprise anyone to see them go on a crazy bad stretch? Something like 1-10 or 2-14 to get us right back in the race? It's pretty clear the Nationals are the best team in this division. I don't care about their record.
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29669.450

Because surely there aren't any remaining Nats fans, based on the evidence of this season, that are still that delusional.

Bdawg2309
08-15-2013, 01:27 AM
lol. is "tha_nats" danny espinosa???

dodgers win again.......

CyYoung31
08-15-2013, 01:30 AM

Because surely there aren't any remaining Nats fans, based on the evidence of this season, that are still that delusional.

At what point this season have we ever went on a 1-10 or 2-14 streak? That guy is an idiot.

Carp
08-15-2013, 04:32 AM

Bonaficio also sucks at SS. Again, there isn't anything that Bonaficio brings that Pastor doesn't bring. I guess more speed but that's it.

Janish is on the team purely b/c he is a good defender. Bonaficio is not a good defender at any position really. He is not a decent option in any way whatsoever b'c he is not an upgrade over what we have.

50PoundHead
08-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Young pretty much plays "bat" at this point in his career. He can stand at a number of positions with a glove in his hand, but it brings back the old joke of "Question: Why is Player X like Michael Jackson. Answer: He wears a glove for no apparent reason."

Heyward
08-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Well, outside of the final 2 series vs St Louis/Arz they have a pretty favorable schedule the rest of the way.

That said, the margin for error is just so small.

bravesnumberone
08-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Really all we need to do is win this series against them. And if we just play .500 the rest of the way, they've got to go on a tear as good or greater than what the Dodgers are doing right now.

parkvadawg
08-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Don't think Soriano will be untucking his jersey tonight

Bdawg2309
08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
lol.. sounds like a home game for the giants..crowd was pretty loud when it went out

mossy
08-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Thank you Giants!

thethe
08-15-2013, 06:44 PM
LOL at the Nats. Like they actually have a chance.

Gary82
08-15-2013, 07:08 PM
that was brutal.

thethe
08-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Chase Headley has been SOOOOO awesome. Too bad Wren didn't open up the vault! :eusa_dance:

DaneHill
08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
That was a soul-crushing loss by the Nats last night. Nice way to come in to Atlanta. :eusa_dance:

NYCBrave
08-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Chase Headley has been SOOOOO awesome. Too bad Wren didn't open up the vault! :eusa_dance:

Right. Where are his defenders now? .690 OPS!!!!

Oh wait, he plays in Petco so that really equals like .890. /end sarcasm

NYCBrave
08-16-2013, 08:03 AM
That was a soul-crushing loss by the Nats last night. Nice way to come in to Atlanta. :eusa_dance:

That was fun to watch the highlights of. Giants were down to their last strike, Nats fans were on their feet anticipating the win, and then BOOM. Crushing lol

thethe
08-16-2013, 08:09 AM

Yup, no daily OPS second half updates anymore. Really good player still but last year was more of a fluke than the excpetion. Not paying that guy big time money.

Dunit24
08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
That was fun to watch the highlights of. Giants were down to their last strike, Nats fans were on their feet anticipating the win, and then BOOM. Crushing lol

Yeah I would have loved to see Sanchez untuck his jersey after he touched home plate after that 3 run jack.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 08:38 AM

He's still a great fielder that is playing a season with a jacked up wrist. And is OPS+ is still league average.

NYCBrave
08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
He's still a great fielder that is playing a season with a jacked up wrist. And is OPS+ is still league average.

Assuming he ends the season at his current pace, what would you give up for him in the off season?

thethe
08-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Nobody ever said he wasn't a good player. We are just refuting he is this stud that needs to be acquired at all costs and then subsequently pay 15+ million per season.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Nobody ever said he wasn't a good player. We are just refuting he is this stud that needs to be acquired at all costs and then subsequently pay 15+ million per season.

I would pay him that. Once he gets his wrist healthy and out of Petco, people are going to talk about how he's one of the best 3B in baseball.

Tapate50
08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
JJ Hoover has been unscored upon in his last 21 appearances.
It covers 24 2/3 innings, which is the longest active streak in the majors. Hoover has struck out 29 while allowing just 11 hits and seven walks over the span. The right-hander credits a mechanical adjustment for his success, though he wouldn't reveal exactly what he changed. "I don't want to say what it was," he said. "It was small and minor, but it makes a world of difference."

thethe
08-16-2013, 09:02 AM
JJ Hoover has been unscored upon in his last 21 appearances.
It covers 24 2/3 innings, which is the longest active streak in the majors. Hoover has struck out 29 while allowing just 11 hits and seven walks over the span. The right-hander credits a mechanical adjustment for his success, though he wouldn't reveal exactly what he changed. "I don't want to say what it was," he said. "It was small and minor, but it makes a world of difference."

Good for Hoover. Just another guy the Braves drated and developed that made it to the big leagues. The list is VERY long.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Good player but not worth trading CJ+ for.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:28 AM

CJ as in Chris Johnson?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 11:28 AM
CJ as in Chris Johnson?

Obviously.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Obviously.

So you wouldn't trade CJ + what specifically for Headley? Would you trade CJ for Headley, straight up?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 11:37 AM
So you wouldn't trade CJ + what specifically for Headley? Would you trade CJ for Headley, straight up?

Honestly, no given Headley is a FA after this season and we probably can't sign him to an extension.

It would probably cost Sims, Wood, or Graham plus CJ for Headley. As well as a couple lesser prospects.

BRule
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM

LOL

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:43 AM
We get CJ for a bag of donuts and he has a career year. Then Heyward wouldn't trade him for Headley.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
We get CJ for a bag of donuts and he has a career year. Then Heyward wouldn't trade him for Headley.

And what happens when Headley walks for nothing at seasons end.

Who plays 3B then, Einstein.

thethe
08-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Headley is not a star level player. I'd still love to have him but I wouldn't love to pay him what he is going to get.

BRule
08-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Headley is not a star level player. I'd still love to have him but I wouldn't love to pay him what he is going to get.

You formed that conclusion on half a year when he's coming off a big injury? Cool.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:53 AM

I am assuming you sigh him. Which, he is a star player (and will certainly show it in the rate states if he leaves Petco)

thethe
08-16-2013, 11:53 AM
You formed that conclusion on half a year when he's coming off a big injury? Cool.

No, his whole career.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I am assuming you sigh him. Which, he is a star player (and will certainly show it in the rate states if he leaves Petco)

Depends what you mean by star?

How much would it cost to extend him, 8-10 mil, 15+ mil?

More?

I'd do 8-10 or so, 15+, meh not that good.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 11:57 AM
No, his whole career.

How much weight did you put on his OPS+ the last 3 years of 120, 145, 101 (wrist injury)

Just as a comparison McCann 122, 86 (when thethe said he was done), and 133.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Headley has one good/elite season.

Mac when healthy is a top 3 C in baseball.

BRule
08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
No, his whole career.

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion because the last 2 years + his away splits + actually watching him play, suggests otherwise.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 12:14 PM

What do you call OPS+ of 120 with good defense?

BRule
08-16-2013, 12:15 PM

This is not factually correct.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
What do you call OPS+ of 120 with good defense?

Ok, two.

He's had one elite season which he won't repeat.

zitothebrave
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM

Johnson is under contract for one more year than Headley

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Johnson is under contract for one more year than Headley

No, he's not.

Johnson is super two.

Headley is under control one more year after this year, Johnson for three.

BRule
08-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok, two.

But Chris Johnson is going to repeat this year? Also, please PM the powerball number, thanks.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
But Chris Johnson is going to repeat this year? Also, please PM the powerball number, thanks.

Did I say he would?

9-12-17-23-4

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
No, he's not.

Johnson is super two.

Headley is under control one more year after this year, Johnson for three.

So you would want pay Johnson what he's gonna command?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:41 PM
So you would want pay Johnson what he's gonna command?

He's not gonna command 10-15 million like Headley will, so sure.

bravesnumberone
08-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I see it's the monthly Chase Headley debate going on.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 12:44 PM
He's not gonna command 10-15 million like Headley will, so sure.

What do you think the possible batting champ will get?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:46 PM
What do you think the possible batting champ will get?

His defense sucks, so around 5-6 million.

I don't think he wins the batting title though.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 12:54 PM
His defense sucks, so around 5-6 million.

I don't think he wins the batting title though.

So do you want to pay CJ 5-6 million + for the next 3 years?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 12:58 PM
So do you want to pay CJ 5-6 million + for the next 3 years?

Sure, not like we have any better options.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Sure, not like we have any better options.

We didnt have better options than BeeJ. Did it make sense to overpay him?

Tapate50
08-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I see it's the monthly "I heart Chase Headley orgy."

Fixed

Hawk
08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Ryne Sandberg in as new Phillies manager.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
We didnt have better options than BeeJ. Did it make sense to overpay him?

He got overpaid, not sure what that has to do with anything.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
He got overpaid, not sure what that has to do with anything.

Bc CJ will be?

bravesnumberone
08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Good for Sandberg.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Bc CJ will be?

For 5-6 million, that's not bad at all, so no.

Hawk
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Good for Sandberg.

But oddly sad at the same time, it's almost like Chipper becoming manager of the Cardinals. Don't understand why the Cubs didn't have any interest in him.

gcbraves
08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
But oddly sad at the same time, it's almost like Chipper becoming manager of the Cardinals. Don't understand why the Cubs didn't have any interest in him.

Because they are the CUBS...

AUTiger7222
08-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I sure figured the Phillies would let Charlie finish out his contract and ride off into the sunset. Guess that was asking too much from Ruben Amaro.

bravesnumberone
08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing they were waiting for him to get No. 1,000.

Hawk
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Guess that was asking too much from Ruben Amaro.

He's crying during the presser.

bravebonebook
08-16-2013, 01:55 PM

You would too if you had to have coached that team in that city...

bravebonebook
08-16-2013, 01:57 PM
More important, relevant matters: anyone hear what 'good' second basemen have been made available for waiver wire deals that the Braves might actually be able to snatch?

Hawk
08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
You would too if you had to have coached that team in that city...

I meant Amaro, but replace 'coached' with 'GM'd' and I'd (also) agree.

Carp
08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Ok, two.

I don't think you understand splits and just how good Headley has been away from that hitters hell. Headley when healthy is a .850+ OPS hitter in a normal park to go along with great defense. Only an idiot wouldn't trade CJ for a healthy Headley

Bdawg2309
08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/401xm4k.jpg

Heyward
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't think you understand splits and just how good Headley has been away from that hitters hell. Headley when healthy is a .850+ OPS hitter in a normal park to go along with great defense. Only an idiot wouldn't trade CJ for a healthy Headley

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Giles, who plays third when Headley is elsewhere and bolts via FA?

Tapate50
08-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Do we need a Chase Headley Master thread where all this garbage can go?

It worked for Bryce Harper.

BRule
08-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll ask you the same thing I asked Giles, who plays third when Headley is elsewhere and bolts via FA?

Chase Headley, when we sign him.

gilesfan
08-16-2013, 03:25 PM

I would worry about that when the time comes. What happens when CJ sucks or splits?

Should we not have traded for Upton bc we were worried about him splitting?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 10:23 PM
If the Reds hold on, they will pass the Cards.

Heyward
08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
So much for that, Lucroy walk off Chapman.

NinersSBChamps
08-16-2013, 10:57 PM
That was an impressive at bat from Lucroy. Fouled off a handful of high 90's fastballs. I knew he was gonna get Chapman.

AUTiger7222
08-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Because he knows that when the Phillies record doesn't improve any over these last 40 games it will be his ass on the line.

AUTiger7222
08-16-2013, 11:20 PM
I had never looked at Headley's career splits but he has been a GREAT hitter away from PETCO. I would take him in a heartbeat!

AUTiger7222
08-16-2013, 11:33 PM
If the Reds hold on, they will pass the Cards.

Had the Reds won the Nationals would have been 10 games out of the 2nd WC spot.

thethe
08-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Dodgers are ridiculous. MLB has to do something about the financial inequities of the sport. Dodgers are buying their way to a world series trophy while the Braves have a three year run before they lose key players. It sucks.

thewupk
08-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Dodgers are ridiculous. MLB has to do something about the financial inequities of the sport. Dodgers are buying their way to a world series trophy while the Braves have a three year run before they lose key players. It sucks.

Calm down. I seriously doubt the Dodgers win the world series this year. How many titles did the Yankees win while spending ridiculous amounts of money the last 10 years? The Mets? The Dodgers? Red Sox? Cubs? Phillies? Tigers? Angels?

I'm fairly certain that only the 04 Sox, 07 Sox, and 09 Yankees could be considered 'bought' titles. And I wouldn't list the 04 Sox that way even though they had a high payroll. Money doesn't equal titles in Baseball.

thethe
08-17-2013, 08:00 AM
You underrate how good they are.

thewupk
08-17-2013, 08:07 AM
You underrate how good they are.

And you over estimate their ability because of their current hot streak. Are they a talented team? Sure. But they aren't going to win the world series.

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 08:29 AM

I'd rather be us than them. We'll have more than three years at the top. Nobody has sustained a better organization nor produced more top shelf home grown talent than we have.

zitothebrave
08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
I'd rather be us than them. We'll have more than three years at the top. Nobody has sustained a better organization nor produced more top shelf home grown talent than we have.

Rays

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Rays

A five man rotation that should be/is the envy of baseball, the best closer in the game, four all-star caliber position players? Ours is every bit as theirs.

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Rays

A five man rotation that should be/is the envy of baseball, the best closer in the game, four all-star caliber position players? Ours is every bit as theirs.

zitothebrave
08-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Gotta disagree. Price, Shields, Hellickson, Longoria, and more.

Though I'll admit, the Rays are also really good at finding diamonds in the rough (KJ, Pena and Zobrist come to mind)

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Have you seen the Rays rotation? Who are the four home grown all star position players?

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Have you seen the Rays rotation? Who are the four home grown all star position players?

McCann, Heyward, Freeman atm.

Andrelton will be an allstar one day. Prado was an all star for us.

thethe
08-17-2013, 09:47 AM
And you over estimate their ability because of their current hot streak. Are they a talented team? Sure. But they aren't going to win the world series.

They didn't start well because they were injured. What if Kemp comes back and hits? They are loaded.