PDA

View Full Version : 8/6/2015 THURSDAY MINORS FINAL ... Whelen out after 1 inning; Hursh to AAA

rico43
08-06-2015, 04:25 AM
From MiLB:

When John Gant was traded from the Mets to the Braves last month, it kicked off a homecoming more than 10 years in the making. He isn't back to his Georgia roots yet, but if he can replicate Wednesday's results a few times, he could be driving down Peachtree Street soon. The Braves' newest prospect had his best start yet at Double-A in his Mississippi home debut. The 23-year-old right-hander allowed one hit and struck out nine over six scoreless innings in a 3-2 win over Montgomery. He struck out the side in the first, then allowed just one hit and two walks the rest of the way.

"I felt like I had pretty good command with all my pitches," he said. "My curveball was a little shaky early in the game, but it came around later. … Overall, I'd just say it was command. I felt comfortable throwing all my pitches."

Gant (1-0) was traded to the Braves with right-hander Rob Whalen for big league infielders Juan Uribe and Kelly Johnson on July 26. He made his organization debut on July 31, limiting Birmingham to an earned run on two hits over 5 2/3 innings, striking out seven in a 4-3 victory. Gant was born in Savannah, Georgia, in 1992 but moved to Florida with his family just over a decade later.

"It's awesome to be in a Braves uniform. I was always a Braves fan," he said. "When I got the news [about the trade], I was happy to hear it. No disrespect to the Mets, they obviously have a great organization. But I didn't grow up a Mets fan."

Gant pitched all of last year with Class A Savannah and the Mets aggressively skipped him over Class A Advanced to Double-A Binghamton to open this season. He didn't stick there, though. After posting a 4.75 ERA in seven starts, he was demoted to St. Lucie in the Florida State League. He dominated there, going 2-0 with a 1.79 ERA in six starts. The Mets bumped him back to Binghamton in July and he managed a 4.63 ERA in four starts prior to the trade. The nine strikeouts on Wednesday represented a career best at Double-A -- he had a 4.70 ERA overall with Binghamton and never fanned more than seven there. He reached double-digit punchouts six times at lower levels, including a career-high 11 on June 11 with St. Lucie.

The big difference of late for Gant has been command, something he credits to adjustments made with St. Lucie pitching coach Phil Regan.

"I think toward the beginning of the season, I was a little off mechanically," he said. "I didn't feel so comfortable. When I went down to St. Lucie, [Regan] really tweaked a couple things mechanically that I think really helped and gave me a step in the right direction."

Through two starts with Mississippi, Gant is 1-0 with a 0.77 ERA and 16 strikeouts in 11 2/3 innings.

THURSDAY SCHEDULE

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Rochester 7, Gwinnett 5

LP: Jenkins (3-2) 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
Hursh 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. (AAA debut)
Bethancourt 2-4, RBI; M. Smith 2-4, R, SB; Hunter 1-4, R, RBI; Kazmar 2-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 7, Montgomery 4

4-run 8th for Braves.
SP: Sims 5.1 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 8 K.
WP: Barbosa (4-1) 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
T. Jones (Save, 12) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Landoni 2-3, R, BB, CS; Hyams 3-4, R, 2 RBI; Ahrens 1-4, HR (5th), 3 RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Winston-Salem 3, Carolina 0

LP: Whalen (1-2) 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, HR.
Waszak 4.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K.
Roney 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. (0.00)
Lien 1-4; Franco 1-3, BB.

CLASS A

Rome (45-63) @ Augusta, PPD.

SHORT-SEASON

Princeton 12, Danville 1 (9)

SP: Weigel 2.2 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 0 K.
Riley 1-3, 2B, R (.364); Grullon 2-2.

GCL Braves 4, GCL Pirates 3 (10)

SP: Suarez 4 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 1 K.
Heredia 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K.
WP: Geekie (3-0) 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K. (1.93)
Acuna 1-4, R, SB (10); Salazar 1-5, 2B, R; I. Wilson 2-3, 2 R, HR (5th), RBI, SB.

DSL Braves 6, DSL Tigers 4

16 total strikeouts for Braves.
SP: J.Sanchez 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
WP: A.Sanchez (5-0) 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K.
Pantoja (Save, 3) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.
Ventura 0-4; Concepcion 1-4, 2B, R, RBI; Fernandez 1-3, R, RBI;

Chico
08-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Jenkins, Sims, and Whalen. I like it.

thethe
08-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Jenkins with 4 scoreless innings so far tonight. He seems to always work deep into games. Very underrated skill if you ask me.

msstate7
08-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Whalen...
1.0 ip 2 h 2 er 0 bb 0 k

Out of game... What's up?

Garmel
08-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Jenkins just gave up 5 in the fifth inning.

rico43
08-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Whalen...
1.0 ip 2 h 2 er 0 bb 0 k

Out of game... What's up?

I think an "uh oh" is in order. Jenkins blew up as well.

auyushu
08-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Jenkins blew up as well.

Jenkins is going to have to get a better K rate to be truly successful in the majors. Same for Wisler really. Can't really get away with such low K rates in the majors unless you are a super groundball pitcher ala Huddy.

Tapate50
08-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Out of all the guys we need to flourish, it's Sims that hold the most upside. Like the Ks so far after promotion

steveAKAslick
08-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Jenkins with 4 scoreless innings so far tonight. He seems to always work deep into games. Very underrated skill if you ask me.

What's that sunshine?

I still like Jenkins however

cajunrevenge
08-07-2015, 01:54 AM
Good to see Hursh adjusting to life as a reliever. I think we could see him in September.

striker42
08-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Jenkins is going to have to get a better K rate to be truly successful in the majors. Same for Wisler really. Can't really get away with such low K rates in the majors unless you are a super groundball pitcher ala Huddy.

I think Jenkins has a good shot at improving his K rate. With all the time he's missed with injuries and how aggressive the Braves have been with him, I think he's got a good chance at improving his stats. His stuff is plenty good enough to get swings and misses so a little refinement can go a long way.

Wisler I'm more worried about. His stuff is good but not overpowering and he lacks pinpoint control he'll need to be really successful with his arsenal. I also don't know if he has much development left. I'm not sure he'll be more than a number 4 starter in the majors.

I get the feeling Sims is on the verge of just exploding. If he can cut the walks down then he could easily shoot up to top 25 prospect in the game status. He's got the stuff and he's got the ability to miss bats. He just has to be better with his command.

striker42
08-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Good to see Hursh adjusting to life as a reliever. I think we could see him in September.

They'd have to add him to the 40 man. They've shown a willingness to make a lot of 40 man roster moves but it is another obstacle for him.

chipchildress
08-07-2015, 07:28 AM
i've been hesitant to say it, but it seems more and more clear as each day passes. all of this so called great young pitching talent is a mirage. maybe the 17 year olds are the real deal, but i'll be 95 by the time they're ready.

yeezus
08-07-2015, 07:49 AM
i've been hesitant to say it, but it seems more and more clear as each day passes. all of this so called great young pitching talent is a mirage. maybe the 17 year olds are the real deal, but i'll be 95 by the time they're ready.

ok.

yeezus
08-07-2015, 07:49 AM
I feel like too many people expect every pitching prospect to be Matt Harvey.

chipchildress
08-07-2015, 07:53 AM
i'd settle for alex wood

striker42
08-07-2015, 07:54 AM

I was hoping that one of the group of Wisler, Folty, and Jenkins would break out and look like a future top notch starter but as yet none have. Folty is probably the one I'm the most high on. He needs to get it together between the ears and learn how to harness his stuff but at 23 that's not an uncommon position.

mqt
08-07-2015, 09:53 AM

You type well for a 91-year-old. Your age would explain the confusion and crankiness, though.

Chico
08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
So Bird and Gant both grew up Braves fans? I checked on WHalen and he was born in Central Florida in 1994. Probably just as good of a chance he is a Braves fan.

striker42
08-07-2015, 01:27 PM
So Bird and Gant both grew up Braves fans? I checked on WHalen and he was born in Central Florida in 1994. Probably just as good of a chance he is a Braves fan.

Nope. Huge Mets fan. Apparently his parents grew up in Queens.

nsacpi
08-07-2015, 03:40 PM

You might be on to something. There is a distinction between rebuilding minor league depth and getting the kind of high upside talent that can make a difference at the major league level.