PDA

View Full Version : 8/12/2015 WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL ... G-Braves win 15th of 19.

rico43
08-12-2015, 05:43 AM
MOVES:
David Rohm goes on Miss. DL; was hitting .342 in his last 10 games before injury

WEDNESDAY SCHEDULE

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 11, Charlotte 1

WP: G. Smith (6-4) 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
Hursh 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
Hunter 3-6, 2B, HR (11th), 4 RBI; Castro 3-5, R, 3 RBI; Bethancourt 3-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI; M. Smith 2-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SB.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 2, Mobile 1

WP: Ross (7-9) 7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.
T. Jones (Save, 13) 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
Ruiz 1-4, 2 RBI; Ahrens 1-4, 2B, R.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 4, Wilmington 0

WP: Waszak (6-6) 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
Odom 1-4, 2B, R; Camargo 3-4, 3B, R, 2 RBI; Lien 1-3, R, BB, 2 SB (30); Franco 1-4, 2B, RBI.

CLASS A

Savannah 12, Rome 3

LP: Toussaint (3-4) 4 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
Grosser 0.2 IP, 1 H, 6 ER, 5 BB, 0 K.
Murphy 3-4, HR (5th), 2 RBI; Tellor 3-4; Daris 2-4, 2B; Davidson 1-5, RBI, 3 K.

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Braves 7, DSL Pirates 6

SP: J. Sanchez 3 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
WP: Vega (3-4) 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
Taveras (Save, 7) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 K.
Ventura 2-4, 2B, R, BB (.340), Contreras 2-4, 3B, 2 R, 3 RBI; Mejia 3-4, RBI; Fernandez 2-4.

GCL Tigers 11, GCL Braves 5

LP: Suarez (0-1) 6.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HR.
Keller 2-5, R (.321); Pina 2-5, 2B, RBI; Arias 1-5, R, 2 RBI.

Danville 5, Princeton 4

SP: Soroka 4 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
WP: G. Jones (3-3) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
Morel 4-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI; Hoekstra 3-5, HR (2nd), 2 RBI; Riley 2-4, RBI, BB, Acuna 0-4, 3 K (debut).

rico43
08-12-2015, 05:42 PM
With Olivera, Freeman and Allard all working in the GCL, this thread might outdraw the Braves thread for hits Thursday.

Garmel
08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Bethancourt is already 2-2 with a double tonight.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Bethancourt is already 2-2 with a double tonight.

Well, at least if they've move on from him his hitting should improve his trade value. Then again their trashing him in the media so much may hurt it more so.

UNCBlue012
08-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Beth is now 2-2 with a sac fly. Dude is absolutely balling right now. .323 average.

Garmel
08-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Well, at least if they've move on from him his hitting should improve his trade value. Then again their trashing him in the media so much may hurt it more so.

I think the Braves are going to give him another chance the way he's been hitting of late. You pretty much have to.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Mallex Smith is also 2-2 with a double and walk so far tonight. He has also stolen two more bases (one was a steal of third) and scored two runs.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 07:24 PM
I think the Braves are going to give him another chance the way he's been hitting of late. You pretty much have to.

He was going to come up in Sept. either way with the rosters expanding. But I am still convinced they are at least leaning towards another direction than Bethancourt long-term. Maybe a great Sept. makes them re-think that though. Time will tell.

That said, I agree that Bethancourt is doing all he can do in AAA so far.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Toussaint continuing to struggle for Rome tonight.

UNCBlue012
08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
All the good things are going on at Gwinnett.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
He was going to come up in Sept. either way with the rosters expanding. But I am still convinced they are at least leaning towards another direction than Bethancourt long-term. Maybe a great Sept. makes them re-think that though. Time will tell.

It seems to me that there is a lot of ground between giving up on Bethancourt and committing to him long-term. To me he projects as a solid backup major leaguer with some upside. There is value in that. But we should not hand him the keys to the car.

thethe
08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
CB and Mallex hitting well at Gwinnett is about the best thing that could happen for the rest of the 2015 season in the whole organization.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Another solid outing by Soroka. In my book he is one of our top 5 prospects. I know he is very far from the majors. But keep in mind he turned 18 on August 4 and there are lots of college players and other older players in the Appalachian League.

thethe
08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Another solid outing by Soroka. In my book he is one of our top 5 prospects. I know he is very far from the majors. But keep in mind he turned 18 on August 4 and there are lots of college players and other older players in the Appalachian League.

His size leaves a lot of projection still as well.

thethe
08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Toussaint continuing to struggle for Rome tonight.

Only three hits. Command seems erratic. Anyone watching? What kind of stuff does he have tonight?

thethe
08-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Riley with a hit and ANOTHER walk. Wonder if teams are just pitching around him at this point.

Can't believe that someone who was mostly liked as a pitcher has this type of plate discipline at such an early age.

thethe
08-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Mallex with a walk tonight as well. I would say he has adjusted to AAA rather quickly.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 07:46 PM
It seems to me that there is a lot of ground between giving up on Bethancourt and committing to him long-term. To me he projects as a solid backup major leaguer with some upside. There is value in that. But we should not hand him the keys to the car.

My take is they'll trade him if a good enough offer comes along. But if he comes up in Sept. and does well that may change their view.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Considering the small number of decent catchers around, it had better be a very good offer.

My take is they'll trade him if a good enough offer comes along. But if he comes up in Sept. and does well that may change their view.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Considering the small number of decent catchers around, it had better be a very good offer.

When they can the Braves usually deal players they trash as much as they have Bethancourt. They did the same with Gattis this time last year and despite claiming he would stay just before he was still moved. Further, they have continued to question Bethancourt's game calling abilities, etc. And they recently used Bowman to say he hadn't improved even though he clearly has both offensively and defensively. This along with other likely moves (like bringing back AJ possibly to back-up at catcher) tell me the writing is on the wall unless something causes them to change their mind.

thethe
08-12-2015, 08:19 PM
When they can the Braves usually deal players they trash as much as they have Bethancourt. They did the same with Gattis this time last year and despite claiming he would stay just before he was still moved. Further, they have continued to question Bethancourt's game calling abilities, etc. And they recently used Bowman to say he hadn't improved even though he clearly has both offensively and defensively. This along with other likely moves (like bringing back AJ possibly to back-up at catcher) tell me the writing is on the wall unless something causes them to change their mind.

I think its going to be different with CB honestly. These kids that they sign at 15/16 are like sons to the organization. Thats why I don't believe for a second they are going to trade Teheran.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 08:38 PM
I think its going to be different with CB honestly. These kids that they sign at 15/16 are like sons to the organization. Thats why I don't believe for a second they are going to trade Teheran.

Umm okay, I could list plenty of players the Braves have signed at that age that they've moved on from. But since you bring up Teheran I'll go with Randall Delgado who of course we traded. I guess Delgado despite being signed so young wasn't a son of the organization. :)

Seriously, this line of argumentation has no basis in reality. Teheran is still here because they didn't get their asking price for him. Simple as that.

thethe
08-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Umm okay, I could list plenty of players the Braves have signed at that age that they've moved on from. But since you bring up Teheran I'll go with Randall Delgado who of course we traded. I guess Delgado despite being signed so young wasn't a son of the organization. :)

Seriously, this line of argumentation has no basis in reality. Teheran is still here because they didn't get their asking price for him. Simple as that.

It has to be a mix with talent as a component as well. Braves clearly prioritized Tehearn over Delgado.

smootness
08-12-2015, 09:16 PM

If we get rid of him, I'm fully off the bandwagon. If there was a guy in another organization OPS'ing at well over .800 in AAA with an elite arm at 23, we'd be asking what it would take to get that guy.

We have a huge hole at catcher going forward, so if we let him go, I'm out.

We pretty much have to have Mallex in CF and Bethancourt at C next year.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:21 PM
If we get rid of him, I'm fully off the bandwagon. If there was a guy in another organization OPS'ing at well over .800 in AAA with an elite arm at 23, we'd be asking what it would take to get that guy.

We have a huge hole at catcher going forward, so if we let him go, I'm out.

We pretty much have to have Mallex in CF and Bethancourt at C next year.

I would expect with you that trading Simmons would be your "I'm out". Which makes sense to me as Simmons is probably my favorite current Brave.

Note, I don't mean Shae Simmons either but I like that kid too.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 09:25 PM

Peraza?

thethe
08-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Peraza?

Good call. Should have kept him.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Peraza?

You know better than bringing up that trade with thethe, we got back Olivera man! Wood isn't that good and is bound to be broken and Peraza is unproven. :)

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Prado?

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:30 PM

Yea, I cannot understand it. He was a son of the organization and all. What is the Braves way coming to now? :)

smootness
08-12-2015, 09:30 PM
I would expect with you that trading Simmons would be your "I'm out". Which makes sense to me as Simmons is probably my favorite current Brave.

Note, I don't mean Shae Simmons either but I like that kid too.

I would certainly be out at that point. But if we get rid of Bethancourt and then have to trade for a catcher, I'll be ticked.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Prado?

He went with another son of the organization to be sure Teheran was safe, that explains the D'Backs deal. :)

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:32 PM
I would certainly be out at that point. But if we get rid of Bethancourt and then have to trade for a catcher, I'll be ticked.

What if Bethancourt is used in a trade for another catcher? I could see that happening, though I am not saying he'd be the only player in such a trade.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 09:33 PM
He went with another son of the organization to be sure Teheran was safe, that explains the D'Backs deal. :)

Let thethe speak for himself. You Sir are but a pale imitation of thethe.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Let thethe speak for himself. You Sir are but a pale imitation of thethe.

Fair enough, but thethe did allude to what I noted when I asked about Delgado--the other son of the organization that went in the same trade. :)

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Fair enough, but thethe did allude to what I noted when I asked about Delgado--the other son of the organization that went in the same trade. :)

Actually there might be a corollary to the thethe axiom.

Braves do not trade sons of the organization. Except in pairs. Delgado & Prado. Peraza & Avilan.

That shows you how much the Braves care about these guys. They make sure they have a buddy to hang out with.

So Bethancourt and Albies?

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Braves do not trade sons of the organization. Except in pairs. Delgado & Prado. Peraza & Avilan.

That shows you how much the Braves care about these guys. They make sure they have a buddy to hang out with.

You had me till that last part which made me throw up...

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
You had me till that last part which made me throw up...

When it happens remember who called it.

msstate7
08-12-2015, 09:55 PM

Albies and Riley for ethier...

Ethier is just what we're looking for. He's in his early 30s, can play LF, and he's a dodger. I'm sure this will be a go in the winter meetings.

nsacpi
08-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Albies and Riley for ethier...

Ethier is just what we're looking for. He's in his early 30s, can play LF, and he's a dodger. I'm sure this will be a go in the winter meetings.

I think we'll have to add a young cost-controlled arm to make it fair.

Braves1976
08-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I think we'll have to add a young cost-controlled arm to make it fair.

Teheran where he can go play with other sons (Peraza and Avilan)? :)

thethe
08-13-2015, 05:32 AM
You know better than bringing up that trade with thethe, we got back Olivera man! Wood isn't that good and is bound to be broken and Peraza is unproven. :)

I've been extremely high on Peraza and continually have said I wouldn't have traded him.

thethe
08-13-2015, 05:48 AM
At this point in time I think it would be a good move for the Braves to just say goodbye to AJ unless he is fully committed to taking a backup role.

Julio3000
08-13-2015, 06:26 AM
We have a huge hole at catcher going forward

Sounds more like we have a huge asshole at catcher going forward.

nsacpi
08-13-2015, 06:28 AM
I think of AJ as a son of the organization.

Deester11
08-13-2015, 06:33 AM
I think of AJ as a son of the organization.
I'm thinking he's an illegitimate son

smootness
08-13-2015, 11:34 AM
What if Bethancourt is used in a trade for another catcher? I could see that happening, though I am not saying he'd be the only player in such a trade.

I just don't know what that would accomplish. We have a catcher with potentially elite defensive ability who is suddenly raking in AAA at 23. We are not likely to find someone with that package at catcher, yet we would probably have to give up more than Bethancourt just to get them because of his struggles in the majors.

I just don't support trading Bethancourt until he gets a real shot in the majors. We need to go into next year committed to have him be the full-time catcher for at least 2-3 months and see what happens. If he can OPS anywhere close to .700 while shoring up his defensive issues and throwing out base runners, then we have our catcher. I don't see why we would trade him until we're sure of what we have there. Because right now, he's looking like he's putting it together.

Anthony J. Pierzynski
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM
At this point in time I think it would be a good move for the Braves to just say goodbye to AJ unless he is fully committed to taking a backup role.

Sure, chief. Be sure to post about that when it happens of the Twelfth of ****ing Never.

smootness
08-13-2015, 11:59 AM
In fact, looking back, we may have been too harsh on Bethancourt as he was coming up in the minors. We think of him as never really doing much offensively (and he was never great), but that's because he's always had big struggles his first time through a league. The good news is, though, that he always put up a much better year his second time through each league, and he has always been super young his first time through - 18 in Rome, 19 in Carolina, 20 in Mississippi.

When he has been just a year older (19 in Rome, 21 in Mississippi, 22 in Gwinnett), he has always posted an OBP between .305-.323 and a SLG between .408-.436. That may not be setting the world on fire, but it's just fine for a guy still young at each level with elite defensive tools. Now, at 23 in Gwinnett, his OPS is suddenly .843.

If he can just give us the .305-.310ish OBP and .405+ SLG in the majors, that would be just fine as long as his defensive tools play. And I think he can give us that relatively quickly, based on his track record. But I also think there's room for more there. He'll never post a great OBP, but if he can hit .270 or better I think he can slug around .450.

zbhargrove
08-13-2015, 12:08 PM
I've been as harsh on Bethancourt as anyone, but he truly is just raking right now. This is by far the best I've seen him look at the plate. I hope we give him another shot and I hope he actually starts every day for awhile to see if he can get in a groove. The way he's swinging the bat right now with his defensive ceiling would be fill a huge need for this team. The kick in the butt getting sent down may have gotten him into gear.

Deester11
08-13-2015, 12:17 PM
I've been as harsh on Bethancourt as anyone, but he truly is just raking right now. This is by far the best I've seen him look at the plate. I hope we give him another shot and I hope he actually starts every day for awhile to see if he can get in a groove. The way he's swinging the bat right now with his defensive ceiling would be fill a huge need for this team. The kick in the butt getting sent down may have gotten him into gear.
I understand all the doubts zb, but I've tried to tell everyone that he is notoriously slow the first time through a league. No excuse defensively, but I think the Braves are doing themselves a disservice by not playing him now.