PDA

View Full Version : Minor

Heyward
08-17-2015, 07:14 PM
David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves indicate Minor likely to be brought back in 2016, though nothing certain.

#Braves Mike Minor has been throwing for a while now, is expected to throw off mound for first time in about 3 weeks.

UNCBlue012
08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Kind of expected. I figured they'd attempt to bring him back if possible.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 07:21 PM
I would love for minor to have a repeat of '13 for us next season.

striker42
08-17-2015, 08:09 PM
He better be really, really cheap. I have zero confidence in his ability to start 30 games.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 08:10 PM
He better be really, really cheap. I have zero confidence in his ability to start 30 games.

5.5 million I think

Heyward
08-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Well if we arent spending on an ace or top tier bat, gotta use the money somewhere, not saying i disagree his health is a concern.

mqt
08-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Given the circumstances, I'm sure he will be.

Chico
08-17-2015, 08:56 PM
The upside is worth a $5m risk.

chopdrew
08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see him change his approach to be more ground ball oriented. More sinkers, cutters, sliders. Might help.

CJ9
08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
The fact that DOB is the only one saying this, unless I missed someone else, has me still pretty skeptical. Not exactly the guy I'm going to believe when he goes out on a limb about something.

KB21
08-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Not many pitchers return from the type of injury he had in his shoulder.

cajunrevenge
08-18-2015, 01:21 AM
Should surprise no one. Only way he doesnt come back is if he has some setbacks in rehab. I might see about trying to sign him to a 2 year deal to buyout 1 year of free agency on the cheap while we can. Even if he has a great 2013 teams are going to be hesitant to throw big money at him and if he has another ineffective or injured season he is going to be looking at a minor league contract. Something like 2 years 11 million. 5.5 million in 13 and 14. If he has another down year that might be the biggest paycheck he ever gets so I think he would consider it.

Runnin
08-18-2015, 06:41 AM
The fact that DOB is the only one saying this, unless I missed someone else, has me still pretty skeptical. Not exactly the guy I'm going to believe when he goes out on a limb about something.
That does not speak well of your powers of judgement. DOB is connected straight to the source and since this is neither big nor breaking news, there isn't one reason in the world for him to be less than honest.

GovClintonTyree
08-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Not many pitchers return from the type of injury he had in his shoulder.

What was the type of injury he had in his shoulder? Not disagreeing, just never really saw a good write up on it.

Julio3000
08-18-2015, 08:11 AM
What was the type of injury he had in his shoulder? Not disagreeing, just never really saw a good write up on it.

Torn labrum. He had a couple of inconclusive MRIs, then the surgeon opened it up and found damage.

50PoundHead
08-18-2015, 08:15 AM
5.5 million I think

He'll probably file for arbitration and win.

GovClintonTyree
08-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Torn labrum. He had a couple of inconclusive MRIs, then the surgeon opened it up and found damage.

Oh, boy. 10%, tops.

We probably take a flier, but I'm not hopeful.

KB21
08-18-2015, 08:33 AM

Well, technically, he had a scope put into his shoulder joint, and the damage was found. Usually, what happens with an injury to the labrum is that the labrum is separated from the glenoid fossa. The repair is to take sutures and anchors and re-attach the labrum to the glenoid. We keep our post op SLAP repairs immobilized for 3 weeks after surgery and then start PT for passive range of motion with no abduction and no flexion above 90 degrees. Our labral repairs do quite well, but my surgeon isn't operating on world class pitchers either.

Julio3000
08-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Well, technically, he had a scope put into his shoulder joint, and the damage was found. Usually, what happens with an injury to the labrum is that the labrum is separated from the glenoid fossa. The repair is to take sutures and anchors and re-attach the labrum to the glenoid. We keep our post op SLAP repairs immobilized for 3 weeks after surgery and then start PT for passive range of motion with no abduction and no flexion above 90 degrees. Our labral repairs do quite well, but my surgeon isn't operating on world class pitchers either.

Well, neither was this guy. It was just Mike Minor.

Great info, thanks.

yeezus
08-18-2015, 08:53 AM

my thoughts exactly.

dak
08-18-2015, 09:59 AM
#Braves indicate Minor likely to be brought back in 2016, though nothing certain.

#Braves Mike Minor has been throwing for a while now, is expected to throw off mound for first time in about 3 weeks.

With all due respect to DOB, I'm not sure we should take much from this report. Minor is under control through 2017 and actively rehabbing. So I wouldn't expect DOB's front office source to saying anything less than he'll "likely" be back. I can't imagine they would say something publicly like . . . "Well, we're not sure." or "We're not planning on tendering him a contract." I think the Braves are smart to see what he looks like in his throwing program this Fall before making any decisions. They don't owe a decision to him until the non-tender deadline in December.

Hawk
08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
With all due respect to DOB, I'm not sure we should take much from this report. Minor is under control through 2017 and actively rehabbing. So I wouldn't expect DOB's front office source to saying anything less than he'll "likely" be back. I can't imagine they would say something publicly like . . . "Well, we're not sure." or "We're not planning on tendering him a contract." I think the Braves are smart to see what he looks like in his throwing program this Fall before making any decisions. They don't owe a decision to him until the non-tender deadline in December.

Yeah, IIRC the intimations from the FO re: Medlen/Beachy were similar.

That said, DOB rarely ever sticks his neck on the line about anything.

Braves1976
08-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah, IIRC the intimations from the FO re: Medlen/Beachy were similar.

That said, DOB rarely ever sticks his neck on the line about anything.

It's hard to argue they didn't try to bring Medlen back given their offer to him. I thought it was more than fair and that KC overpaid him given his situation.

GovClintonTyree
08-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Thanks for sharing that. Excellent info.

So, labrum to glenoid, why do you suppose that reattachment is so problematic for pitchers? I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is that 95% functionality is probably a full recovery among the general population, while for a pitcher throwing 91, it's now 86 and he's plumbing or working construction- or, in Minor's case, maybe a pissed off engineer sneering his way through life.

KB21
08-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks for sharing that. Excellent info.

So, labrum to glenoid, why do you suppose that reattachment is so problematic for pitchers? I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is that 95% functionality is probably a full recovery among the general population, while for a pitcher throwing 91, it's now 86 and he's plumbing or working construction- or, in Minor's case, maybe a pissed off engineer sneering his way through life.

Because their is so much kinetic force that is applied to the shoulder with the overhand throwing motion. The force that a major league pitcher exerts onto his shoulder is enough to basically rip the ligamentous capsule apart.

zbhargrove
08-18-2015, 11:21 AM
If he shows he can be a decent starter at ALL... I hope they push the trade button immediately.

Enscheff
08-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Just let him go. On the FA market he would get a $1M deal with incentives up to $5M, so guaranteeing $5M is just flat out stupid.

Even if he does make it back to something resembling Mike Minor, nobody is going to trade for a guy fresh off shoulder surgery, so the risk simply isn't worth it.

The Braves won't have money to sign an impact bat for 2016 because they keep wasting it on guys like Swisher, Bourn and Minor.

zbhargrove
08-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Just let him go. On the FA market he would get a $1M deal with incentives up to $5M, so guaranteeing $5M is just flat out stupid.

Even if he does make it back to something resembling Mike Minor, nobody is going to trade for a guy fresh off shoulder surgery, so the risk simply isn't worth it.

The Braves won't have money to sign an impact bat for 2016 because they keep wasting it on guys like Swisher, Bourn and Minor.

Didn't we save money in the CJ for Swisher/Bourn/Cash deal?

Enscheff
08-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Didn't we save money in the CJ for Swisher/Bourn/Cash deal?

No, the Braves are actually paying a few million more overall, and are paying significantly more in 2016 to save CJ's salary in 2017. Problem is, there aren't many FAs worth spending on for 2017.

This offseason is the one to grab an impact guy or two, and the money wasted on Swisher, Bourn and now Minor prevents any such acquisition.

Carp
08-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Not exactly true. Teams don't (or at least they shouldn't) base acquisitions on the basis of how it only fits into the current years payroll. Any long term deal given out would be with the knowledge that Bourn and Swisher are very short term acquisitions and won't affect future payrolls.

And even if what you said were true, we could always backload a contract to make it fit for 2016.

Chico
08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Not exactly true. Teams don't (or at least they shouldn't) base acquisitions on the basis of how it only fits into the current years payroll. Any long term deal deal given out would be with the knowledge that Bourn and Swisher are very short term acquisitions. And won't affect future payrolls.

And even if what you said were true, we could always backload a contract to make it fit for 2016.

What he said. We have plenty of financial flexibility. Now, will we choose to spend it in FA on long term contracts that might erase that flexibility is the question. I don't think we will.

zbhargrove
08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
No, the Braves are actually paying a few million more overall, and are paying significantly more in 2016 to save CJ's salary in 2017. Problem is, there aren't many FAs worth spending on for 2017.

This offseason is the one to grab an impact guy or two, and the money wasted on Swisher, Bourn and now Minor prevents any such acquisition.

Well... I don't think that's really enough to prevent us from signing an impact bat if we want to. Still agree about letting Minor go... but I for one and glad to see CJ out and Bourn/Swisher could end up having some value next year.

clvclv
08-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Well... I don't think that's really enough to prevent us from signing an impact bat if we want to. Still agree about letting Minor go... but I for one and glad to see CJ out and Bourn/Swisher could end up having some value next year.

Doubtful IMO, but having CJ off the books in 2017 is worth it to me even if they don't.

Carp
08-18-2015, 02:23 PM
I agree. Although I think Bourn will be useful, I am not optimistic that Swisher will be worth anything more than a decent bench bat with pop.

Dalyn
08-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Doubtful IMO, but having CJ off the books in 2017 is worth it to me even if they don't.

Speaking of Johnson, he's .429 .429 .571 1.000 since hitting the road.

clvclv
08-18-2015, 02:27 PM
I agree. Although I think Bourn will be useful, I am not optimistic that Swisher will be worth anything more than a decent bench bat with pop.

Just get that sneaky feeling that Bourn becomes next year's EYJ.

clvclv
08-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Speak of Johnson, he's .429 .429 .571 1.000 since hitting the road.

Yeah, and what sucks worst about it is he's killing the fantasy team I'm trying to tank the rest of this year with!!!

Dalyn
08-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Yeah, and what sucks worst about it is he's killing the fantasy team I'm trying to tank the rest of this year with!!!

:Bunchie1:

Runnin
08-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Well, neither was this guy. It was just Mike Minor.

Arg.

GovClintonTyree
08-19-2015, 01:13 AM
Speaking of Johnson, he's .429 .429 .571 1.000 since hitting the road.

So you're saying he still won't take a walk.

mqt
08-19-2015, 04:32 AM

Jeez, why don't you leave the topic to those of us who know what we're talking about when it comes to labrum surgery.

sturg33
08-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Bringing back Minor for $5-$7M is a no brainer, IMO

Runnin
08-19-2015, 08:59 AM
With all due respect, here's what I take from the "report" (actually a Tweet): Braves indicate Minor likely to be brought back in 2016, though nothing certain. ...Minor ....throwing for a while now, is expected to throw off mound for first time in about 3 weeks.

Millwood1Hitter
08-19-2015, 09:33 AM
I have reason to believe that Dave O'Brien doesn't know anymore than anyone else out there, including me, and I know nothing of the matter except when it comes to what is on the gameday and post game buffet menu.

:Bowman:

dak
08-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Hart seems awfully confident given that he hasn't even started throwing . . .

Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 2h2 hours ago
Hart "we feel very good about Minor's progress. Hes going to start throwing within a week. We feel very good hes going to be back next year"

msstate7
08-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Hart seems awfully confident given that he hasn't even started throwing . . .

Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin 2h2 hours ago
Hart "we feel very good about Minor's progress. Hes going to start throwing within a week. We feel very good hes going to be back next year"

There's certainly room for a '13 minor in our rotation next season. I would love for him to regain that form

stpeteirish
08-26-2015, 06:53 PM
We should be able to evaluate how well he's throwing by the time the decision needs to made to offer/not offer arb. If he's not almost all the way back come Dec I'd spend the money on someone else. torn labrum is a bad one to come back from. He'll probably need to learn to pitch without a 90+ fastball.