PDA

View Full Version : Braves claim Mark DeRosa, Nevermind.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Ottowa sports writer tweeted it out just a few minutes ago.

Craig Smith @1310craig
Reports: Atlanta Braves pick up Mark DeRosa on waivers from the #BlueJays. Toronto can still pull him back before tomorrow. #MLB
9:54pm - 7 Aug 13

From the GDT

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Good, Janish does nothing for this team in a playoff series.

Can't imagine they would want all that much.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Depends what they want for him.

Nice addition if they can agree to a deal.

Gary82
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Agreed, I hope we can swing a deal with the Blue Jays. I've always been a big fan of DeRosa.

weso1
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Heyward for Dersosa?

thethe
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Heyward for Dersosa?

Thats a steal.

drewdat
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Heyward for Dersosa?

Dero is a little too tan to pass for Sosa.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1110/mlb_g_sosa02_400.jpg

CyYoung31
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Heyward for Dersosa?

Would up the team's overall love for baseball levels dramatically.

ChadWC
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I like the move to have a true vet on the bench. He and Reed are valuable pieces in big spots.

weso1
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Would up the team's overall love for baseball levels dramatically.

That's the difference maker you need in the playoffs.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Well at the time the claim was made the Braves had the most wins, but Pitts had a better Winning%.

I doubt the Braves would be blocking Pittsburgh, so I think they're going to try and make a deal for real.

Bj1133
08-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Always was a big fan of his back in the day. Hated how his time with the Braves ended. Everyone remembers the slow start to the season at 3rd, but he was beginning to put things together later in the year before going down with that terrible injury that ended his season.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Can we ask LA to trade Cory Rasmus to Toronto and we get DeRo?

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
A few things about this. Number one, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a deal for him, DeRosa means nothing to the Jays at this point. Secondly, can he still play shortstop otherwise it doesn't make sense because he's taking Janish's spot, and thirdly, the Braves must think with both Joey T and then Schafer coming back, that they are covered from the lefthand side, because they were looking for a lefty stick and finally, DeRosa would be great in the clubhouse and has always wanted to return to the Braves.

ChadWC
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I bet the most excited person in all of this if it goes through is Mark DeRosa.

CyYoung31
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Dero is a little too tan to pass for Sosa.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1110/mlb_g_sosa02_400.jpg

So creepy.

SidSlid92
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
They can't want much for him; probably a future bullpen type arm for him?

bravesnumberone
08-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Give them Gearrin or one of those types.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
They can't want much for him; probably a future bullpen type arm for him?

Yeah, it would probably be a low level type prospect. But again, unless can really play shortstop the move doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
A classic idea: Trade Laird, Send Fredi.

(Although right now Fredi is responsible for the first Braves team to have two 10 game win streaks in the same season in 80 years).

How about send Laird's kidney stone? :icwudt:

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah, it would probably be a low level type prospect. But again, unless can really play shortstop the move doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Why not, we need another righty off the bench.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Is this confirmed by anyone else?

ChadWC
08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Is this confirmed by anyone else?

No but I doubt it takes long to finalize if true.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Why not, we need another righty off the bench.

Not really, you've Gattis, and Joey T and when he comes back, Reed Johnson, plus Gerald Laird, so they're pretty right handed heavy.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Not really, you've Gattis, and Joey T and when he comes back, Reed Johnson, plus Gerald Laird, so they're pretty right handed heavy.

Joey is mainly lefty.

Reed, ok.

Never can have enough options. Don't see what's wrong with adding a proven veteran off the bench.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Joey is mainly lefty.

Reed, ok.

Never can have enough options. Don't see what's wrong with adding a proven veteran off the bench.

I'm not opposed to adding DeRosa, he'd be great in the clubhouse, just don't see the fit if he can't play short, because he would have to take Janish's spot.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
He's signed next year at a pretty decent rate.

Only around 750K.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm not opposed to adding DeRosa, he'd be great in the clubhouse, just don't see the fit if he can't play short, because he would have to take Janish's spot.

We can call Janish back up in September.

Janish is the only backup infielder we have now.

I think he'd replace Constanze whose useless, or Cunningham.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
He's signed next year at a pretty decent rate.

Only around 750K.

Yeah, he's owed only around 250K for the rest of the year.

50PoundHead
08-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Always liked DeRosa, but I frankly don't see how he fits. Doesn't play SS anymore and is probably worse than Johnson and Uggla at their respective positions. Nice bench bat, but that's about it.

bravesnumberone
08-07-2013, 10:22 PM
What'll be interesting is if Fredi decides to carry three catchers in the playoffs. I think he would, but there's a possibility if not, that we could use both DeRo and Janish.

Bdawg2309
08-07-2013, 10:22 PM
bet they send pastornicky

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 10:23 PM

What I was thinking.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:27 PM
If they do indeed acquire DeRosa and with Schafer ready to come back, before Friday's game you could see DeRo take Janish's spot and Schafer take Constanza's spot. Then when Gerald Laird is ready to come back, Todd Cunningham will go down. I think the Braves will keep Reed Johnson DL'd until September so they can keep Joey T on the team.

The Chosen One
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Didn't even know Laird was on DL, I thought he was still Day to Day with kidney stone.

BremanFan88
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
clown move bro

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Doubt it, probably a bullpen arm.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Didn't even know Laird was on DL, I thought he was still Day to Day with kidney stone.

Laird was put on the DL when BJ Upton was activated. That's how Constanza is still on the team. But that will end Friday when Schafer returns.

Heyward
08-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Laird was put on the DL when BJ Upton was activated. That's how Constanza is still on the team. But that will end Friday when Schafer returns.

Take Cunningham off to make room for DeRo.

tvsportscaster
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Take Cunningham off to make room for DeRo.

It could be that they do that with Schafer returning, you still would have Schafer, Joey T and Gattis and DeRo has back up outfielders, so yeah, they could very well do that.

rico43
08-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Taking his clutch PH AB Wednesday as the latest example, I would be shocked if JoeT goes back down or fails to make the postseason 25-man.

SidSlid92
08-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6m

Sources: #BlueJays will not move DeRosa, who has been claimed on waivers. Team holds $750K option on him for next season.

parkvadawg
08-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Sources: #BlueJays will not move DeRosa, who has been claimed on waivers. Team holds $750K option on him for next season.

Buzzkill

Bj1133
08-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Well that sucks

The Chosen One
08-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Rosenthal's been wrong before! :tchop:

Dunit24
08-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Wow. I kinda like this move. Gives us another option off the bench for the playoffs and a guy that can still contribute in a starters role if one of our guys go down.

Edit: I posted this before I read Rosenthals latest tweet. Blue jays are idiots.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 08:14 AM
# of games DeRosa has played at short the past four years: 1.

Conclusion: He will not be replacing Janish on any regular season or post-season roster.

DeRosa's WAR numbers the last four years: -0.5, 0.1, -0.5, -0.1

Nice guy, good teammate and all that, but he doesn't bring much to the table.

MadduxFanII
08-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Toronto's decision makes sense, being as how they're close enough to contention that a veteran utility player with good clubhouse skills can be the difference between OH WAIT NONE OF THAT IS TRUE YOU SUCK STOP VALUING MARK FRIGGING DEROSA LIKE HE MEANS ANYTHING TO YOUR ORGANIZATION YOU DICKEY-ACQUIRING MORONS.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Conclusion: He will not be replacing Janish on any regular season or post-season roster.

Nice to see someone besides me on the harsh reality train. It's nice to be sentimental, but I simply see DeRosa as a square peg. When we're talking about the playoffs, remember that there's no roster adjustment within a series. That means if Simmons were to go down, DeRosa (in a scenario where he takes Janish's place) would be the shortstop and as you point out, he simply doesn't play the position anymore. I'm not lobbying for Janish per se. I'm just saying we better have an extra infield "glove" on the bench in the playoffs.

This is where Pena's injury really set the team back. As a switch-hitting three-position back-up, he filled a lot of slots on the dance card. Even if Pena reverted to a .650-ish OPS guy, he still has a ton of value given his skill set.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Yeah. Pena was a big loss. Players like him are hard to come by.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
I guess a guy who would make some sense (at least to me) would be Johathan Herrera, but I don't know if he'd clear waivers or what we'd have to give up to get him. Problem with him is he hasn't played much 3B and my guess is Fredi is going to want to have a defensive replacement for Johnson as the season moves along.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Cedeno was available and the Braves passed on him. A little better hitter than Janish but not as good with the glove. I know a couple years ago they were looking at him.

Braves1976
08-08-2013, 09:37 AM

My thoughts exactly.

gilesfan
08-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah. Pena was a big loss. Players like him are hard to come by.

WHich is why he was acquired with peanuts?

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 09:59 AM
WHich is why he was acquired with peanuts?

We should be grateful other teams overlooked him. The list of backup shortstops on major league teams is not exactly inspiring.

gilesfan
08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
We should be grateful other teams overlooked him. The list of backup shortstops on major league teams is not exactly inspiring.

Pena is your typical backup scrub infielder. Someone like Janish or Pastornicky essentially replace him.

JohnAdcox
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Toronto's decision makes sense, being as how they're close enough to contention that a veteran utility player with good clubhouse skills can be the difference between OH WAIT NONE OF THAT IS TRUE YOU SUCK STOP VALUING MARK FRIGGING DEROSA LIKE HE MEANS ANYTHING TO YOUR ORGANIZATION YOU DICKEY-ACQUIRING MORONS.

I'm not 100% sure what any of that means, but it really entertained me.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Pena is your typical backup scrub infielder. Someone like Janish or Pastornicky essentially replace him.

Only difference is that Pena can switch-hit (and is a considerably better hitter than Janish) and actually has played extensively at all three IF positions, which Pastornicky has not. He's no world-beater, but as scrub IFs go, I think he's a cut above the other two.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm not 100% sure what any of that means, but it really entertained me.

I think what he's saying is that you won't want to accompany the Toronto front office to Las Vegas any time soon given their impaired decision-making skills.

gilesfan
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Only difference is that Pena can switch-hit (and is a considerably better hitter than Janish) and actually has played extensively at all three IF positions, which Pastornicky has not. He's no world-beater, but as scrub IFs go, I think he's a cut above the other two.

You mean he can stand at the plate at both sides. (.691 OPS vs. righties, .295....yes...vs. lefties) Janish is a big step up defensively than Pena.

Braves1976
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Janish is a big step up defensively than Pena.

Janish is better at short, but Pena is still a good shortstop. Plus Pena is very good defensively at third. Bottom line: Janish cannot hit a lick, at least Pena can hit vs righties.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
No question Janish is the best, by far, defensive option of the three guys you mention. Plus, he runs well. I agree that we're talking about the 24th/25th guy here. I'm just saying Pena had a nice little run (and he was regressing when injured), but he filled the dance card nicely for the first few months of the season. Is he the reason we're in first? Never said that. Said he was a nice spare part.

Janish will stick around baseball for quite awhile. Great glove and when you see guys like Kozma clipping along at a sub-.600 OPS rate, I can see a situation where a team could conceivably give Janish a shot at starting. Janish's problem--like it is for a ton of guys--is that they have to play regularly to hit, but they can't hit enough to play regularly.

I guess my bottom line as it relates to this topic is that I'd prefer Janish to DeRosa.

gcbraves
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
If we acquire him, I do not have a problem with it.

If we do not acquire him, I do not have a problem with it.

gilesfan
08-08-2013, 10:24 AM
No question Janish is the best, by far, defensive option of the three guys you mention. Plus, he runs well. I agree that we're talking about the 24th/25th guy here. I'm just saying Pena had a nice little run (and he was regressing when injured), but he filled the dance card nicely for the first few months of the season. Is he the reason we're in first? Never said that. Said he was a nice spare part.

Janish will stick around baseball for quite awhile. Great glove and when you see guys like Kozma clipping along at a sub-.600 OPS rate, I can see a situation where a team could conceivably give Janish a shot at starting. Janish's problem--like it is for a ton of guys--is that they have to play regularly to hit, but they can't hit enough to play regularly.

I guess my bottom line as it relates to this topic is that I'd prefer Janish to DeRosa.

My point was simply that the difference between Janish, Pastor, Pena isn't going to amount to much, if anything. I was halting the Pena was a big loss train.

I prefer Janish to Derosa, but Derosa isn't a bad piece for when rosters expand and you can have both on the roster.

thethe
08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I remember people quoting infantes career ops when he was acquired. Fun times.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I remember people quoting infantes career ops when he was acquired. Fun times.

I was thinking about the Infante comp. Pena has had a stretch where he has performed better than his career numbers. Some of that stretch came during the Mexican Winter League. Some during spring training. Some during the regular season. To my eye, he looked to be a significantly better hitter than his career numbers prior to this year. Hopefully, he recovers from the shoulder surgery and continues to give us good production next year.

50PoundHead
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't think Pena is in the same ballpark as Infante, who hit the big leagues really young and grew into a consistent ball-in-play guy. I just think Pena had a few qualities that, if he could maintain a .650-ish OPS, made him a bit more valuable than Janish or Pastornicky.

tvsportscaster
08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Apparently it wasn't the Braves who claimed him. Jon Heyman is reporting the claiming team was below .500, so that would eliminate the Braves. It's a moot point anyway because the Jays aren't trading him.

jpx7
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
You mean he can stand at the plate at both sides. (.691 OPS vs. righties, .295....yes...vs. lefties) Janish is a big step up defensively than Pena.

Say what you want about Ramiro Peņa, but he is not a switch-hitter: he's a left-handed hitter who for some reason stands on the wrong side of the plate against LHP.

AUTiger7222
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Apparently it wasn't the Braves who claimed him. Jon Heyman is reporting the claiming team was below .500, so that would eliminate the Braves. It's a moot point anyway because the Jays aren't trading him.

Turned out it was the Angels.

But I don't know why everyone thought DeRo would replace Janish on the roster. That doesn't make any sense. DeRo would have replaced one of the outfielders because he can play OF too.

I would have liked to have had him back but it's no big deal either way. Hate how his career with the Braves ended with him blowing out his knee.

emk418
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
We need a backup infielder who can actually hit.

nsacpi
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm ok with having this bench for the playoffs: Laird, Janish, Reed Johnson, Schafer, Gattis, Terdoslavich.

I imagine we'll go with 11 pitchers and an extra bench player, which should be Terdoslavich.

The Chosen One
08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Welp... time to unsticky this.

yeezus
08-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Welp... time to unsticky this.

..and replace it with the Bryce thread!

Tapate50
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
..and replace it with the Bryce thread!

http://i.imgur.com/FSi1y.gif