PDA

View Full Version : DOTW 8/8/13: Playoff rotation?

weso1
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
What 3 or 4 starters should start and in what order? Keep in mind that JT might be on a pitch limit. Should we try to grab a starter like Lincecum in August?

thewupk
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Minor, JT, and Medlen is who I would go with right now. Beachy would be the #4 guy and possibly pass Medlen depending on if he ends up pitching like he did last year. I don't think we need to pick up anyone in August. We can limit JT's innings now if we want to since our lead is so big.

cajunrevenge
08-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Minor/Teheran/Medlen and then whoever is pitching better at the time between Beachy/Wood/Maholm.

nsacpi
08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
As of now Minor, Teheran, Medlen and Wood.

Could change of course depending on how the six options pitch down the stretch.

Dunit24
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Tough to say. I pitch whos hot at the time. Minor and Teheran for sure have to be 2 of the 3 you would think. JT will/should be on innings watch but if we are smart, we go ahead and start limiting those innings now and then give him a start or two before the postseason and he will be good to go. The third pitcher is a toss up. I like Meds. I like Beachy. I like Wood.

Who knows. I just hope our offense is clicking.

weso1
08-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Julio might be on a pitch limit for all we know. I think the top 4 will wind up being this:

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Maholm

Teheran to the pen.

Heyward
08-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Julio might be on a pitch limit for all we know. I think the top 4 will wind up being this:

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Maholm

Teheran to the pen.

Can always just skip him a few times so his innings aren't crazy high.

He's not on 160 inning cap.

He can around 180-190+

thethe
08-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Maholm

Teheran to the pen.

I don't think there is anyway the Braves have a playoff rotation without Teheran. He has been arguably our best pitcher since the middle of April.

bravesnumberone
08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Tough to say because a lot can change over final few weeks leading up to it. Could also depend a lot on the team we're facing. I would say probably Minor/Teheran in the first two and then whoever is pitching the best out of the others.

BremanFan88
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
He has been our best pitcher since the middle of April.

fixed

thethe
08-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah, a compelling argument could be made for sure. Kid is an absolute beast and went up a few notches after hitting Harper and not backing down. I guess its easy to not back down with a bear defending you.

Bdawg2309
08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
whoever has the best road numbers, pitch on the road.

BremanFan88
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah, a compelling argument could be made for sure. Kid is an absolute beast and went up a few notches after hitting Harper and not backing down. I guess its easy to not back down with a bear defending you.

I assume JT grew up in a place where someone like Harper would be the least intimidating person there.

CyYoung31
08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Wood

Medlen to the pen.

The Chosen One
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Julio is the guy I want on the road.

Minor has been dominant at home the last season and a half.

If it's 2-2-1, then I go: Minor-Medlen/Wood/Beachy (whoever is hot)-Teheran.

In a seven game, I want Minor-Medlen at home, Teheran-Wood away.

Wood just looks like he has the makeup (lol) to pitch in a hostile crowd away. I want Minor to put us up in the first game for sure.

Of course this would've been easier if Huddy were still available. Just have Huddy pitch game 1.

Heyward
08-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Wood

Medlen to the pen.

I'd want Wood in the pen.

He's nasty on lefties.

thethe
08-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Wood

Medlen to the pen.

I guess it makes sense with his bullpen experience but we would have to see a lot out of Beachy/Wood down the stretch to do that.

Dalyn
08-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Minor
Medlen (can't pitch Teheran on short rest)
Teheran
Maholm/Beachy/Wood

Pretty ugly, all things considered.

thethe
08-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Minor
Teheran
Maholm/Beachy/Wood

Not sure why you continue to insist that its ugly. Our top 2 is awesome (unproven in the playoffs but awesome). Medlen is a really good #3 with the potential to pitch like an ace and we have seen some really good things out of Beachy/Wood thus far.

Julio3000
08-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I assume JT grew up in a place where someone like Harper would be the least intimidating person there.

Yep. That's exactly what I was saying in the game thread.

Dalyn
08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Not sure why you continue to insist that its ugly. Our top 2 is awesome (unproven in the playoffs but awesome). Medlen is a really good #3 with the potential to pitch like an ace and we have seen some really good things out of Beachy/Wood thus far.

All things considered.

Very little total playoff experience. Teheran will be pushing it. Maholm, Beachy, and Wood are all question marks right now. If it were any other team, most would agree that is not a pretty playoff rotation.

cajunrevenge
08-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Playoff experience is over rated. How much playoff experience did Hamels have when he went off in the playoffs. How much playoff experience did Halladay have when he threw a no hitter in his first playoff game. I could go on all day with examples. Some players handle pressure well and some dont. ARod has a ton of playoff experience so he must be great to have come October right? Medlen had no playoff experience last year and he pitched very well and might have won if not for Chippers error. There are pressure situations other than pitching in the playoffs that Minor and Teheran have been through before. They havent been pitching in T-Ball up to this point.

CyYoung31
08-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Playoff experience is so overrated. I can't believe people are playing that card.

yeezus
08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Playoff experience is so overrated. I can't believe people are playing that card.

could not agree more.

weso1
08-08-2013, 07:21 PM
But is playoff experience overrated?

Dalyn
08-08-2013, 07:30 PM
But is playoff experience overrated?

I think it is a valid concern when dealing with young pitchers.

parkvadawg
08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Julio will be in the rotation.

tiger2vette2
08-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Minor
Teheran
Medlen
Beachy

Pen is Wood, Maholm, Kimbrel, Walden, Woods, Avilan, Carpenter, Ayala

Honestly, the first two are the only ones that are solid.

thethe
08-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Every pitcher that you would feel good about on another team had to prove it at some point. Its time for our kids.

CyYoung31
08-08-2013, 09:44 PM
I think it is a valid concern when dealing with young pitchers.

Yeah, Smoltz, Glavine, and Avery just had a terrible time of it in 1991.

Lincecum, Cain, and Bumgarner as well.

GovClintonTyree
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM

I kind of like that the five of them are coming up more or less together.

zitothebrave
08-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Depends on how Beachy finishes

If he finishes strong for the 3 man

Minor
Julio
Beachy

For the 4 man

Minor
Julio
Beachy
Medlen

If Beachy doesn't finish strong

Minor
Julio
Medlen

Minor
Julio
Medlen
Wood.

Chico
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Once Beachy can throw his slider effectively, he'll be back to his old self. Minor, Beachy, and JT will be the front 3. Wood and Medlen would be matchup situations. Maholm is not in the conversation IMO

nsacpi
08-09-2013, 07:59 AM
How much playoff experience does Kershaw have?

What about Greinke? He's got playoff experience. But what does his lack of success in the post-season tell us.

How about Pittsburgh's pitching staff? What do they have.

How about St. Louis outside of Wainwright?

nsacpi
08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Minor
Teheran
Maholm/Beachy/Wood

With a four man rotation no one would be pitching on short rest in the post-season.

Heyward
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
How much playoff experience does Kershaw have?

What about Greinke? He's got playoff experience. But what does his lack of success in the post-season tell us.

How about Pittsburgh's pitching staff? What do they have.

How about St. Louis outside of Wainwright?

Pretty much.

Outside of Burnett and Waino, not many pitchers have a ton of experience.

Dalyn
08-09-2013, 12:41 PM
With a four man rotation no one would be pitching on short rest in the post-season.

I mentioned that in case it is needed.

Dalyn
08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Obviously, some respond well (especially future Hall of Fame pitchers). But there are plenty who do not. That is why it is a valid concern. Not that it matters either way, at this point. We have what we have.