PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wieters

Chico
08-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Based off nothing at all other than guessing what this FO will do.....I'm gonna say Matt Wieters is going to be our prize FA acquisition this off season, along with a pitcher we can flip in a yr or two. To those who are gonna yell never pay a 30 yr old catcher I agree. However, this fits the mold of filling your team with steady vets you can flip when needed and fill a need in the meantime. Yes, I'm one who thinks CB is gone already.

GovClintonTyree
08-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Based off nothing at all other than guessing what this FO will do.....I'm gonna say Matt Wieters is going to be our prize FA acquisition this off season, along with a pitcher we can flip in a yr or two. To those who are gonna yell never pay a 30 yr old catcher I agree. However, this fits the mold of filling your team with steady vets you can flip when needed and fill a need in the meantime. Yes, I'm one who thinks CB is gone already.

Why would he sign here? It could be awhile before the rebuilding is done. I don't see us contending for several years. This is quite a hole our "retooling on the fly" has left us in.

I think we can safely say that Hart's comments about competing while we "retool" were bull****. If we compete in 2017, Julio will run naked down Peachtree.

Hudson2
08-30-2015, 05:54 PM
No way they go into the new stadium with a crap team. They'll be ready to compete.

cajunrevenge
08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Oh great, now the pity party has started. I wish I could find a forum for positive fans.

msstate7
08-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Oh great, now the pity party has started. I wish I could find a forum for positive fans.

Not a lot to be positive about. I am glad wisler did better last night.

Hudson2
08-30-2015, 06:29 PM
There's alot to be positive about. Look at the minor league thread daily and the money we have to spend. We have some good players on the mlb team to build around. Every team in the world has had years of sucking. It would have been way worse had we kept all of our players instead of trading them.

Julio3000
08-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Why would he sign here? It could be awhile before the rebuilding is done. I don't see us contending for several years. This is quite a hole our "retooling on the fly" has left us in.

I think we can safely say that Hart's comments about competing while we "retool" were bull****. If we compete in 2017, Julio will run naked down Peachtree.

We've seen a lot of mediocre Johnsons on display in Atlanta these last few years, but that one might take the biscuit.

Funny, during the game today I was thinking along the same lines about our "retooling on the fly." It's an interesting question.

I assume Hart was about one quarter wishcasting and about three quarters blowing smoke when he talked about fielding a palatable team this year.

The one unalloyed positive is that we cleared a bunch of money to allow us to make some moves in the next couple of offseasons. If we're smart about it, I can see us being incrementally better next year, and again in Magic 2017. That's going to depend on some of the younger guys developing, and probably being used as trade chips if we're serious about contending in '17.

The truth has, as much as we're loving the guys in the low minors right now, there isn't a lot of meaningful I help that's close to the bigs.

Albies and Davidson are still a couple of years away and are still question marks at that. Touki, Allard, and Fried are just getting their feet wet. The crop of studs in rookie ball this year are still babies. I'm curious to see what we do this off-season that improves the team in the near-term, or whether we're just going to keep accumulating picks and youngsters

thewupk
08-30-2015, 06:43 PM

The same reason Markakis signed here. We will overpay the market value and give him more years than anybody else.

I mean it wouldn't surprise me at all if we signed Weiters. Last 2 full seasons he has had a OBP under .300 He would fit in perfectly here with the rest of oru inept hitters.

msstate7
08-30-2015, 07:01 PM
There's alot to be positive about. Look at the minor league thread daily and the money we have to spend. We have some good players on the mlb team to build around. Every team in the world has had years of sucking. It would have been way worse had we kept all of our players instead of trading them.

I keep up with the minors daily. There are some nice pieces in the system, but the best ones are a few years away. I'd feel a lot better about this year if one, two or all of banuelos, wisler, folty, and Perez finished strong. I'm worried about olivera's defense. I do like Mallex and Jenkins

Hudson2
08-30-2015, 07:04 PM
I agree about Olivera. I think Wisler will be fine. The others to me are a big ?

GovClintonTyree
08-30-2015, 07:06 PM

There wasn't a bit of pity in my post. I stated a fact - we are not very good - and a fairly unassailable cause - the rebuild that was sold as 'retooling on the fly.' But we've turned over 21 of 24 roster spots, haven't we? Multiple times, and seemingly with an eye toward being good at some point in the future, not now? That's really rebuilding, not something not as deep and not as long. Hart lied.

And then my opinion, that it won't take a year to clean up this mess, it'll take more. We're not making back to Wren's standard 90+ win club (another fact) for a long time (opinion, but not exactly going way out on a limb to be negative.)

I think you'd have to really work at it to spin this second half as positive. A lot of young guys are getting their feet wet, that's good.

GovClintonTyree
08-30-2015, 07:17 PM
The same reason Markakis signed here. We will overpay the market value and give him more years than anybody else.

I mean it wouldn't surprise me at all if we signed Weiters. Last 2 full seasons he has had a OBP under .300 He would fit in perfectly here with the rest of oru inept hitters.

I suppose. I don't see any reason to spend on pieces to fill in the puzzle. Just sign Pierzynski for another couple years. We've got to pay $30m to swisher and Bourn next year and another big chunk of dough for part of Arroyo. So that's half the budget without much to show for it.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 07:41 PM
I suppose. I don't see any reason to spend on pieces to fill in the puzzle. Just sign Pierzynski for another couple years. We've got to pay $30m to swisher and Bourn next year and another big chunk of dough for part of Arroyo?

I think the dodgers are covering Arroyo's salary next season but I may be wrong. If we aren't paying for premium talent this offseason then I wouldn't invest any multi years for players. Just go with what we have and go from there.

Horsehide Harry
08-30-2015, 07:51 PM
There wasn't a bit of pity in my post. I stated a fact - we are not very good - and a fairly unassailable cause - the rebuild that was sold as 'retooling on the fly.' But we've turned over 21 of 24 roster spots, haven't we? Multiple times, and seemingly with an eye toward being good at some point in the future, not now? That's really rebuilding, not something not as deep and not as long. Hart lied.

And then my opinion, that it won't take a year to clean up this mess, it'll take more. We're not making back to Wren's standard 90+ win club (another fact) for a long time (opinion, but not exactly going way out on a limb to be negative.)

I think you'd have to really work at it to spin this second half as positive. A lot of young guys are getting their feet wet, that's good.

This has been a rebuild from the beginning. Hart lied. But, what do you expect? "Hey, no need to come to the park for the next two years because we are going to suck because we have to tear this thing down and build it back up in hopes of having a decent team when we open the new park in 2017 because it is clear that without doing that we will hit 2017 with an empty team (Heyward, Upton gone), an empty farm, bad contracts, no money and no hope." OR "We have evaluated where we are and, while there are some nice pieces in place, we don't believe that we can contend at the highest levels short term or long term so we have decided to re-tool the team with an intent of being as competitive as we can be always but to be especially competitive when we open the new park in 2017, so come support your Braves, see the new hero's and be part of the next dynasty."

He didn't say HOW he was going to re-tool. But, it was easy to see that there was really only one way.

Carp
08-30-2015, 08:51 PM

"Wren's standard 90+ win club"? We made the playoffs 3 times out of the 7 years he was GM. I don't see anything standard about that.

We have plenty of money to spend and a whole heap of talent to trade for established players. Your fooling yourself if you think next year's team is going to look practically the same as it does now.

The Chosen One
08-30-2015, 08:53 PM
"Wren's standard 90+ win club? We made the playoffs 3 times out of the 7 years he was here. Try again.

We have plenty of money to spend and a whole heap of talent to trade for established players. Your fooling yourself if you think next year's team is going to look practically the same as it does now.

Lol come now Carp, JS decimated our farm going for it in 2006 and 2007.

If you guys are going to sat Wren decimated this team's future and Hart has to clean up how is Wren's 2008 and 2009 not considered a cleanup of JS's mess?

JS gae up an emerging Betemit for Baez and Aybar. Don't even have to mention the Tex trade.

nsacpi
08-30-2015, 09:17 PM

If you guys are going to sat Wren decimated this team's future and Hart has to clean up how is Wren's 2008 and 2009 not considered a cleanup of JS's mess?

JS gae up an emerging Betemit for Baez and Aybar. Don't even have to mention the Tex trade.

Or the Drew trade.

The Chosen One
08-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Or the Drew trade.

Still pissed JS gave away Ray King for free.

Carp
08-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Decimated? That's a bit much. Wren inherited a farm that featured, Heyward, Teheran, Freeman, Hanson, Schafer, Medlen, Devine, Flowers, Delgado, Locke, and Morton among many others. In fact, one could argue that the major components of Wren's "success" were already in place when he took over.

And I would argue the Tex part deux (which Wren responsible for) was almost as bad as the first, given the hot garbage we got in return for Tex.

But the intention of the 1st post was not to place blame on Wren for the rebuild. Just setting the record straight on what Wren actually accomplished in his 7 years here. Which was 3 playoff appearances. Certainly that isn't horrible, but we were not winning 90 games/yr.

cajunrevenge
08-30-2015, 10:25 PM

We were close to a .500 team until Freeman went down. It sounds like you took GM speak too literally. Rebuilding is a dirty word. It tends to make the fans not want to buy tickets. Hate on him for saying that if you want but its in our best interest as Braves fans that attendance doesnt plummet. With retooling, or rebuilding, a ton of turnover is to be expected. I would say this season represents the tear down phase of rebuilding. During the tear down phase a lot of players get playing time they otherwise wouldnt. Its pretty much throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks. We got a good asset out of that in Maybin. I think Hart has always said this was building up to 2017 when the new stadium opens. Not uncommon in baseball. I know he said we would be on the outer edge of contention this year and I dont think that was a lie. Its rare a GM will ever say "Nope, no chance we contend this year" before a season starts. Read between the lines of what a GM says. I think we should atleast give them this offseason to see what kind of moves they make. All our trades up until Olivera were a part of the tearing down process. We are now in the building up phase. I dont know what in the tearing down phase has you so upset. The Melvin trade was a huge win for us. The Heywood trade is a huge win for us. Justin Upton trade isnt so clear cut but trading him was the right move. Maybe its the Olivera trade? If it is I think you have to atleast give it a chance. If Olivera tanks I'll be up in arms along with you but there have been quite a few trades in the last 10 years that we as fans hated that turned out good.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Decimated? That's a bit much. Wren inherited a farm that featured, Heyward, Teheran, Freeman, Hanson, Schafer, Medlen, Devine, Flowers, Delgado, Locke, and Morton among many others. In fact, one could argue that the major components of Wren's "success" were already in place when he took over.

And I would argue the Tex part deux (which Wren responsible for) was almost as bad as the first, given the hot garbage we got in return for Tex.

But the intention of the 1st post was not to place blame on Wren for the rebuild. Just setting the record straight on what Wren actually accomplished in his 7 years here. Which was 3 playoff appearances. Certainly that isn't horrible, but we were not winning 90 games/yr.

Braves did average 91 wins from 2009-2013 though. Would of been more without Gonzalez.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 10:34 PM
We were close to a .500 team until Freeman went down. It sounds like you took GM speak too literally. Rebuilding is a dirty word. It tends to make the fans not want to buy tickets. Hate on him for saying that if you want but its in our best interest as Braves fans that attendance doesnt plummet. With retooling, or rebuilding, a ton of turnover is to be expected. I would say this season represents the tear down phase of rebuilding. During the tear down phase a lot of players get playing time they otherwise wouldnt. Its pretty much throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks. We got a good asset out of that in Maybin. I think Hart has always said this was building up to 2017 when the new stadium opens. Not uncommon in baseball. I know he said we would be on the outer edge of contention this year and I dont think that was a lie. Its rare a GM will ever say "Nope, no chance we contend this year" before a season starts. Read between the lines of what a GM says. I think we should atleast give them this offseason to see what kind of moves they make. All our trades up until Olivera were a part of the tearing down process. We are now in the building up phase. I dont know what in the tearing down phase has you so upset. The Melvin trade was a huge win for us. The Heywood trade is a huge win for us. Justin Upton trade isnt so clear cut but trading him was the right move. Maybe its the Olivera trade? If it is I think you have to atleast give it a chance. If Olivera tanks I'll be up in arms along with you but there have been quite a few trades in the last 10 years that we as fans hated that turned out good.

Which included unsustainable hot streaks from players and insane cluster luck with BABIP. Unless you think Freeman was responsible for that then it was going to stop regardless.

cajunrevenge
08-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Braves did average 91 wins from 2009-2013 though. Would of been more without Gonzalez.

Not technically true. Better with a good manager yes, but there is no guarantee we get a good a manger if Fredi is gone. There is about a 95% chance the next manager is hated just as much.

cajunrevenge
08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Which included unsustainable hot streaks from players and insane cluster luck with BABIP. Unless you think Freeman was responsible for that then it was going to stop regardless.

Yeah they were over achieving to start the year and now they are underachieving because they traded several players and are letting players get experience. I mean who even heard of Matt Marksberry, Andrew McKirihan, Jake Brigham and Adonis Garcia before this year? I think you might have unrealistic expectations. No one was going to come in here and turn **** around over night while making minimal changes. I think we could have gone for broke this year and done well but we would have been Astro level bad for the next 5 years.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Not technically true. Better with a good manager yes, but there is no guarantee we get a good a manger if Fredi is gone. There is about a 95% chance the next manager is hated just as much.

Hated? Sure. Cox was 'hated' for dumb stuff. But there is a like a 10% chance that our next manager is worse.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 10:52 PM
Yeah they were over achieving to start the year and now they are underachieving because they traded several players and are letting players get experience. I mean who even heard of Matt Marksberry, Andrew McKirihan, Jake Brigham and Adonis Garcia before this year? I think you might have unrealistic expectations. No one was going to come in here and turn **** around over night while making minimal changes. I think we could have gone for broke this year and done well but we would have been Astro level bad for the next 5 years.

I didn't have unrealistic expectations. I said at the start of the year that 70 wins would be a struggle. I thought our offense would be worse than last years as well. The people who had unrealistic expectations were those that thought our luck at the start of the year was sustainable.

UNCBlue012
08-30-2015, 10:55 PM
So, we'd be looking at:
Smith LF
Olivera 2B
Freeman 1B
Weiters C
Markakis RF
Maybin CF
Peterson 2B
Simba SS

Ain't nobody got time for that lineup.

cajunrevenge
08-30-2015, 11:06 PM
So, we'd be looking at:
Smith LF
Olivera 2B
Freeman 1B
Weiters C
Markakis RF
Maybin CF
Peterson 2B
Simba SS

Olivera is going to hit behind Freeman.

I didn't have unrealistic expectations. I said at the start of the year that 70 wins would be a struggle. I thought our offense would be worse than last years as well. The people who had unrealistic expectations were those that thought our luck at the start of the year was sustainable.

If we hadnt traded players away and Freeman doesnt get hurt we win 70 games easily. Your judging the team based on a time frame after the team said **** it and gave up on the season. Of course they are going to lose a **** ton of games right now.

Hated? Sure. Cox was 'hated' for dumb stuff. But there is a like a 10% chance that our next manager is worse.

I wasnt talking about Cox, he got his share of hate but he was protected because of the streak. Every fan base hates their manager. The grass is always greener on that other side though.

Carp
08-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Well sure if you want to cherry pick. But the reality is that we won 90 games or more 3 times with Wren as GM. Certainly not what I would consider a "standard" of greatness.

VirginiaBrave
08-30-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't feel like our main acquisitions will be an offensive player. I feel it will be middle relief and should be as that has been the main wort on this team all year. 2015 has proven serviceable middle relief does not grow on trees. And by serviceable all I am asking for is someone capable of getting outs.

Carp
08-30-2015, 11:12 PM
So, we'd be looking at:
Smith LF
Olivera 2B
Freeman 1B
Weiters C
Markakis RF
Maybin CF
Peterson 2B
Simba SS

Depending on the production of Smith and Olivera, it could be quite good. But overall I agree. It isn't super impressive on paper. I think we'll trade for a catcher, to be honest.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 11:21 PM
If we hadnt traded players away and Freeman doesnt get hurt we win 70 games easily. Your judging the team based on a time frame after the team said **** it and gave up on the season. Of course they are going to lose a **** ton of games right now.

Who have we traded that wouldn't have made us as bad as we are? Kelly Johnson? He's hitting 221 with the Mets and has a 103 WRC+ on the year. As predicted he's back to being the utility he has been for the last few years. Uribe? He's hitting 192 for the Mets and has a 102 WRC+ on the year. His awesome time with the Braves wasn't going to continue. They are both poor hitters that had brief moments of awesomeness. Expecting that to continue is what lead many on here to think this team was good.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Well sure if you want to cherry pick. But the reality is that we won 90 games or more 3 times with Wren as GM. Certainly not what I would consider a "standard" of greatness.

Not really cherry picking anything. The first two years he was cleaning up JS's mess. For like a 5 year period the Braves had the most wins in the NL. That's fairly impressive.

Carp
08-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Not really cherry picking anything. The first two years he was cleaning up JS's mess. For like a 5 year period the Braves had the most wins in the NL. That's fairly impressive.

What mess exactly? Did you miss the part where he inherited a booming farm system and an increasing payroll? Or how about the part where most of the stars on those teams were players that were acquired before he became GM??

They only mess he was left was a bad rotation. Which he really made little effort to improve the first offseason as GM. A mistake which he over-compensated for the next FA period by spending about 80 million on 3 pitchers.

Sell it whatever way you want, but facts is facts. And we made 3 playoff appearances in 7 years.

thewupk
08-30-2015, 11:44 PM
What mess exactly? Did you miss the part where he inherited a booming farm system and an increasing payroll? Or how about the part where the majority of the stars on those teams were players that were acquired before he became GM??

Yeah a booming farm system that JS was currently gutting to get veteran players. Let's not act like Wren didn't get major props for not making deals like Hanson and Yunel for Jake Peavy. He pushed the team into a very good spot for a 4-5 year period.

Carp
08-30-2015, 11:52 PM
Yeah a booming farm system that JS was currently gutting to get veteran players. Let's not act like Wren didn't get major props for not making deals like Hanson and Yunel for Jake Peavy. He pushed the team into a very good spot for a 4-5 year period.

No is saying he didn't have some success. But to act like we were a perennial 90 win team under Wren is flat out wrong. We won 90 games or more 3 times.

Carp
08-30-2015, 11:59 PM
I also don't recall the offer being Hanson and Yunel. I recall the offer being Yunel, Gorkys, Locke, and another pitcher whose name escapes me (may Jo Jo Reyes?).

thewupk
08-31-2015, 12:10 AM
No is saying he didn't have some success. But to act like we were a perennial 90 win team under Wren is flat out wrong. We won 90 games or more 3 times.

And we averaged 91 wins for a 5 year period.

thewupk
08-31-2015, 12:12 AM
I also don't recall the offer being Hanson and Yunel. I recall the offer being Yunel, Gorkys, Locke, and another pitcher whose name escapes me (may Jo Jo Reyes?).

It's because Wren refused to put Hanson in the deal. Which is likely why it never got done.

Carp
08-31-2015, 12:14 AM
And we averaged 91 wins for a 5 year period.

Average=/= winning 90 games per year. It happened 3 times. Why leave out the other years? Does it not suit your argument?

Carp
08-31-2015, 12:15 AM
It's because Wren refused to put Hanson in the deal. Which is likely why it never got done.

As I recall, Peavy nixed the deal because he didn't want to play for us if Yunel wasn't the starting SS.

thewupk
08-31-2015, 12:20 AM
As I recall, Peavy nixed the deal because he didn't want to play for us if Yunel wasn't the starting SS.

That was also part of it as well.

thewupk
08-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Average=/= winning 90 games per year. It happened 3 times. Why leave out the other years? Does it not suit your argument?

Like the years they won 86 and 89 games? Yeah those teams were bad and so far off 90 wins. Again the Braves averaged 91 wins over 5 seasons and had the most wins in the NL. But they sucked outside of 3 seasons, right?

GovClintonTyree
08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I did take Hart literally. I was thinking, "you don't rebuild and try and compete, you burn it to the ground." Which is exactly what he did. It's getting hard to see 15-1 and 20-6 though.

So I reserve my right as a fan capable of a broad range of emotional responses to bitch about the current state of affairs.

The last time we were this bad I was living and working in West Palm Beach. It was spring, and Russ Nixon was in a bar I was in, telling everyone that they were about to turn the corner.

Russ was right, but I think he thought he was going to be the skipper when that happened.

I'm sure they'll work out of it. It's not a quick process, though.

Russ2dollas
08-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Boras guys are expensive. He's 30 and not that good. Will be expensive....WHY?

Nerfherders
08-31-2015, 11:08 AM
We were 42-42, having lost Freeman a few days before that, and Grilli a few days after that. (I was at the game when Grilli went down. That was tough to watch.) The Grilli loss combined with the trade of Johnson and Avilan killed the bullpen for all intents and purposes. But I also think that was the point where Hart decided to punt the season for good with the Olivera trade. It might work out if we get a top 3 pick.

cajunrevenge
08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Straight from the horses mouth.

" I’ve never made any false promises that we were built to win this year. We felt we had an energy and a good makeup. But you don’t trade your closer opening day, trade for draft picks, trade middle-of-the-order bats and expect to win. I won’t lie to fans"

Carp
08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Like the years they won 86 and 89 games? Yeah those teams were bad and so far off 90 wins. Again the Braves averaged 91 wins over 5 seasons and had the most wins in the NL. But they sucked outside of 3 seasons, right?

Again, how many times did we make the playoffs? Not sure why you keep using that 5 year span as a point of reference and why you exclude 2014?

thewupk
08-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Again, how many times did we make the playoffs? Not sure why you keep using that 5 year span as a point of reference and why you exclude 2014?

So we had only 3 good teams under Wrens tenure?

Julio3000
08-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Straight from the horses mouth.

" I’ve never made any false promises that we were built to win this year. We felt we had an energy and a good makeup. But you don’t trade your closer opening day, trade for draft picks, trade middle-of-the-order bats and expect to win. I won’t lie to fans"

AP 1/15/15

'President of baseball operations John Hart acknowledged that the Braves made all the trades with an eye toward their long-term future. Yet, in a city that has endured only three losing seasons in the last 24 years, the deals have caused major consternation among the fan base, with many complaining that the team has given up on the next two seasons and is more concerned about being competitive when it moves into a new suburban stadium in 2017.

Not so, Hart told The Associated Press.

"We may not be the prettiest girl at the dance," he said in a telephone interview, "but we're going to be a lot of fun to dance with."'

Seems to me that he was singing a different tune in the winter than in the piece you quoted. In fact, that interview he seemed to be pooh-poohing the very idea that anyone had suggested the team would be competitive… and it's true, he didn't promise a winner. He did, however, suggest that the team would be competitive. I understand that keeping the fans interested, particularly during off-season like the last one, is a difficult and thankless job. I don't have an ax to grind with Hart about this one, I just agree with the Gov and dispute the notion that no one ever said the team was going to be competitive.

jsebe10
08-31-2015, 06:55 PM

Take this for what it's worth but I played high school ball with Matty at Stratford. Like me, he grew up a Braves fan and followed in his daddy's footsteps and went to Tech when Carolina and Clemson were calling. It would not surprise me one bit if he signed with ATL. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

cajunrevenge
08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
AP 1/15/15

'President of baseball operations John Hart acknowledged that the Braves made all the trades with an eye toward their long-term future. Yet, in a city that has endured only three losing seasons in the last 24 years, the deals have caused major consternation among the fan base, with many complaining that the team has given up on the next two seasons and is more concerned about being competitive when it moves into a new suburban stadium in 2017.

"We may not be the prettiest girl at the dance," he said in a telephone interview, "but we're going to be a lot of fun to dance with."'

Seems to me that he was singing a different tune in the winter than in the piece you quoted. In fact, that interview he seemed to be pooh-poohing the very idea that anyone had suggested the team would be competitive… and it's true, he didn't promise a winner. He did, however, suggest that the team would be competitive. I understand that keeping the fans interested, particularly during off-season like the last one, is a difficult and thankless job. I don't have an ax to grind with Hart about this one, I just agree with the Gov and dispute the notion that no one ever said the team was going to be competitive.

And they were competitive during the first half. Then they traded role players and Freeman/Grilli got hurt and the wheels came off. They are competiting for the #1 pick right now and doing a pretty good job of it. Lets not be mad at them for not winning 10 more games so we get the 12th pick instead of the second pick.

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:16 AM
And they were competitive during the first half. Then they traded role players and Freeman/Grilli got hurt and the wheels came off. They are competiting for the #1 pick right now and doing a pretty good job of it. Lets not be mad at them for not winning 10 more games so we get the 12th pick instead of the second pick.

Oh, no, they're cranking, now. I've never seen a team this ****ty. They remind me of the 2003 Tigers, except the Tigers had this roster from the get-go. I mean, we suck. Historically. We could go 14-66 in the second half. I think we can catch Philly, easy.

Well done, Johns.

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Take this for what it's worth but I played high school ball with Matty at Stratford. Like me, he grew up a Braves fan and followed in his daddy's footsteps and went to Tech when Carolina and Clemson were calling. It would not surprise me one bit if he signed with ATL. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Good to know, jsebe. I've always liked him. He'd be a real nice fit, but I'm afraid the timings gonna be off. He'll be 34 before were in the hunt again.

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:20 AM
AP 1/15/15

"That was a falsitude. Hart is an inveterate liar. We lack the right levels of emotionalism and physicalness." -Don King

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:22 AM
I'm not against the full tear down once we started the job either. And I suspect the Johns were right when they suggested that the old team had gone about as far as it could go. But God, we look horrible. It just sucks.

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:27 AM

Because the first few years he had to wash the stink of the Schuerholz regime out of the club (THAT'S actually when we got away from the Braves Way, BTW - not under Wren). And the last year, once JS gave his buttboy Hart the consulting job, you could see he was just waiting for Wren to hit a rough patch so he could off him.

Carp
09-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Because the first few years he had to wash the stink of the Schuerholz regime out of the club (THAT'S actually when we got away from the Braves Way, BTW - not under Wren). And the last year, once JS gave his buttboy Hart the consulting job, you could see he was just waiting for Wren to hit a rough patch so he could off him.

And this is blatantly false. The only issue Wren was left with was a poor rotation. The lineup he inherited featured several stars, including Tex, Chipper, Mac, Renteria, Yunel, Prado, and KJ. And the farm was still one of the best in baseball with names I've already mentioned.

GovClintonTyree
09-01-2015, 12:36 PM
And this is blatantly false. The only issue Wren was left with was a poor rotation. The lineup he inherited featured several stars, including Tex, Chipper, Mac, Renteria, Yunel, Prado, and KJ. And the farm was still one of the best in baseball with names I've already mentioned.

Oh, is that all? LOL

We had "some rotation problems?"

I'll say. Our pitching sucked, is another way to say it.

There's another way- in his last year, JS had a dearth of starting pitching that he desperately needed to address at the deadline. Instead, he chose to add hitting to an already stout offense, mortgaging the future on Tex.

I didn't say Schuerholz left him with nothing. But he left him with a huge gaping hole on the mound, which (you might notice right now) is an impossible issue to work around.

I hope all that crap Hart has gotten back for the plucky veterans amounts to something this year. Well, that and the number one draft pick we're destined to earn. Go, Fish! Go, Phils!

Carp
09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Oh, is that all? LOL

We had "some rotation problems?"

I'll say. Our pitching sucked, is another way to say it.

There's another way- in his last year, JS had a dearth of starting pitching that he desperately needed to address at the deadline. Instead, he chose to add hitting to an already stout offense, mortgaging the future on Tex.

I didn't say Schuerholz left him with nothing. But he left him with a huge gaping hole on the mound, which (you might notice right now) is an impossible issue to work around.

I hope all that crap Hart has gotten back for the plucky veterans amounts to something this year. Well, that and the number one draft pick we're destined to earn. Go, Fish! Go, Phils!

Not sure why you quoted "some rotation problems." I clearly stated he was left with a poor rotation.

His plan to rectify that rotation issue was pretty poor as well.

nsacpi
09-01-2015, 12:48 PM
AP 1/15/15

He hasn't mislead anyone. This year's team is the palatable girl at the dance.

cajunrevenge
09-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Not only that but we are Herpes(Melvin) free.

nsacpi
09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Not only that but we are Herpes(Melvin) free.

We are the Herpes free palatable girl at the dance. Doesn't get any better than that!