PDA

View Full Version : Pre Employment Test

ChapelHillMatt
08-09-2013, 10:54 PM
I hate these! I'm trying to find another part time job to go with what I have now at UPS. I figure two good part time jobs = a good full time job, right? Anyway I think I can do this job. I'm a pretty quick learner but I'm not going to be given the opportunity unless I pass the test. The job is a outbound material handler at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'd be stocking shelves. This is the description they gave me about the job

This position will perform one or more DC outbound functions such as loading, picking, or packing orders for shipment. Must be able to work quickly with attention to detail to maintain a high level of accuracy and productivity. Requires high school diploma or equivalent and must complete and pass the company's standard pre-employment tests. Must be able to work closely and well with others. Must possess the ability to read and match numerical and alphabetical characters quickly and accurately. Must have good handwriting and mathematical skills.

I want to prepare for the test but don't know anything about it other than what it says here. I don't guess anyone here has ever worked for this company have they? I wish there was a practice test I could run through but there isn't.

Gary82
08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/O-Reilly-Auto-Parts-Interview-Questions-E2328.htm

Go there and search through and see if you can find any info that could help you. It'll also give you an idea of what to expect pay-wise.

ChapelHillMatt
08-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks. I have already been told what starting pay would be and what my hours would be.

I just need to pass the test and do well in the interview process.

Krgrecw
08-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Matt, you should do fine. I don't know what you do at UPS but i would think it would be similar to this job. makes you look good since you already know the job

DjGrizz
08-09-2013, 11:24 PM
You're not full time yet matt? I've been full time for 2 years now (inside combo) and you've worked there a good 5 years longer then me. I heard at worldport it takes 17 years. Sheesh! It took me 9

DjGrizz
08-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Go to an oreillys and ask one of the clerks what the jist of the test covers. Most of them would probably help you out

ChapelHillMatt
08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
You're not full time yet matt? I've been full time for 2 years now (inside combo) and you've worked there a good 5 years longer then me. I heard at worldport it takes 17 years. Sheesh! It took me 9

Nope, they told me those jobs were being phased out. So I'm left looking for something else. I've been job hunting for several months and haven't found anything yet. This sounds right up my alley though. My pay rate at UPS is very good so I don't need much, this would be more than enough. I'm very good at memorizing zip codes so I'm hoping this is similar and I'll pick it up pretty easily.

DjGrizz
08-09-2013, 11:50 PM
You've never been offered driving? Sounds like their d*cking you around cuz you're not union

DjGrizz
08-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Zipcodes consume my life. I literally dream about them lol

DjGrizz
08-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Btw I bet the math is just simple shiz like giving the correct change. I've taken pre employment test like that and they're usually no biggie

Bj1133
08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
If the position only requires a HS degree, then I doubt the test is going to be all that difficult.

goldfly
08-10-2013, 11:32 AM
i don't envision this test as something to be worried about

ChapelHillMatt
08-10-2013, 01:11 PM
You've never been offered driving? Sounds like their d*cking you around cuz you're not union

No bid list are even going up, one went up last year, I signed up but they gave it to a person that had been there 25 years, lol. What's frustrating is I hear combo jobs are being put in all over the country except for the Greensboro hub.

NinersSBChamps
08-10-2013, 05:06 PM
UPS and I have parted ways. I have given up trying to track anyone down from HR to get a real answer. Thankfully I did find a job though, Matt.

I wouldn't worry about the test at all either.

DjGrizz
08-11-2013, 05:36 PM
UPS and I have parted ways. I have given up trying to track anyone down from HR to get a real answer. Thankfully I did find a job though, Matt.

I wouldn't worry about the test at all either.

How long did you work there?. I'm a shop steward, I guarantee I would get HR to answer you!

NinersSBChamps
08-11-2013, 10:47 PM
How long did you work there?. I'm a shop steward, I guarantee I would get HR to answer you!

I worked there for only about 9 months. Left for the army and was told I'd have a job when I got out. I stayed in for 7 and a half years, so I am sure they is some sort of stipulation.

DjGrizz
08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I worked there for only about 9 months. Left for the army and was told I'd have a job when I got out. I stayed in for 7 and a half years, so I am sure they is some sort of stipulation.

You're covered by USERRA. Typically it only covers you for 5 years but I've seen it cover some for as long as 10 years due to certain stipulations.

Read this cuz if they f'ed up they would have to reinstate and pay you back pay

www.dol.gov/vets/whatsnew/uguide.pdf

pfiggy
08-12-2013, 07:05 AM
If y'all can spell yer name correctly and legibly. Remember yer birthday and SSN, yer good to go in that kinda test. I mean it's O'Reilly not a job at the Enrico Fermi Institute.

NinersSBChamps
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
You're covered by USERRA. Typically it only covers you for 5 years but I've seen it cover some for as long as 10 years due to certain stipulations.

Read this cuz if they f'ed up they would have to reinstate and pay you back pay

www.dol.gov/vets/whatsnew/uguide.pdf

Thanks for posting that. I don't fit any of the exceptions past the five year mark unfortunately.