nsacpi
10-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Albies #3, Toussaint #7, Davidson #8

Joan Moncada (Red Sox) was #1 and Jorge Mateo (Yankees) #2

rico43
10-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Albies #3, Toussaint #7, Davidson #8

Joan Moncada (Red Sox) was #1 and Jorge Mateo (Yankees) #2

I think we'll find that the more someone watched Albies, the more they'll like him.

cajunrevenge
10-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Some notes from the chats so far

- Allard didnt meet minimum innings to rank on GCL list but would have been #2 pitcher and probably top 5. Supposedly his back "flared" up this summer and thats why his innings were limited.
- Austin Riley's power is the real deal and his stock is sky rocketing although he could eventually have to move to 1B.
- Says everyone else isnt high on Yepez because he is physically advanced and see him more as a doubles hitter and he has already been moved to 1B which is a bad sign.
- Called Jonathan Morales and interesting bat while mentioning that he was older for the league
- Riley's improvements have a lot to do with better conditioning. He was surprisingly good at 3B at Danville. Average range but Plus arm.
- "Ryan Clark, Josh Graham, Matt Withrow, Patrick Weigel, Grayson Jones, Evan Phillips, Chase Johnson-Mullins, Ryan Lawlor—they’re all interesting assets."

rico43
10-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Dustin Peterson, at #18, is the highest ranked Carolina Leaguer.

In the Southern League, Mallex Smith came in at #16 and Tyrell Jenkins at #20.

Wisler was #17 in the IL top 20 (Peraza was only #14).

bravesfanMatt
10-01-2015, 12:07 PM

- Allard didnt meet minimum innings to rank on GCL list but would have been #2 pitcher and probably top 5. Supposedly his back "flared" up this summer and thats why his innings were limited.
- Austin Riley's power is the real deal and his stock is sky rocketing although he could eventually have to move to 1B.
- Says everyone else isnt high on Yepez because he is physically advanced and see him more as a doubles hitter and he has already been moved to 1B which is a bad sign.
- Called Jonathan Morales and interesting bat while mentioning that he was older for the league
- Riley's improvements have a lot to do with better conditioning. He was surprisingly good at 3B at Danville. Average range but Plus arm.
- "Ryan Clark, Josh Graham, Matt Withrow, Patrick Weigel, Grayson Jones, Evan Phillips, Chase Johnson-Mullins, Ryan Lawlor—they’re all interesting assets."

I love that mullins guy.. he is HUGE.. 6'8 almost 300.. I mean that is a scary pitcher right there.. No one will charge the mound on that guy..I am also surprised no mention of Matthew Custred from the GCL.. dude had a whip of .79 with 45 Ks in 32 innings out of the pen..He was a 31st round pick I believe..so that with him being a BP guy is probably why no mention..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCMqssuPhocgCFUmTDQodDksErQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.milb.com%2Fplayer%2Findex.jsp %3Fplayer_id%3D621337&psig=AFQjCNFDa40zmdxWu0NVJE8RHGheR1fTNA&ust=1443805772405839

50PoundHead
10-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Kind of an odd comment from BA. If Yepez doesn't play 1B, how does he get ABs. DH? Then he doesn't spend any time in the field. If Riley starts the season on a tear and ends up in Carolina by mid-season, could Yepez end up back at 3B in Rome?

I'm not as giddy about Davidson as a lot of folks. Seems his walk rate is the only thing going for him right now. If the power develops, I'll rest a lot easier.

smootness
10-01-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm not as giddy about Davidson as a lot of folks. Seems his walk rate is the only thing going for him right now. If the power develops, I'll rest a lot easier.

I think this is precisely why people are high on him, though. Usually plate discipline is the toughest thing for a prospect to develop, and he already has it. He's also a big guy and people like his swing, so most predict the power will come along. This happens with a lot of young guys, which is why it's more important at that age a lot of times to read scouting reports than to simply look at the numbers.

For the record, though, I don't think most Braves fans have huge expectations for him. I think he has a pretty good chance to develop into a good LF, a guy who doesn't hurt you defensively out there and is able to put up something like .270/.370/.420 offensively with 15-20 HR.

nsacpi
10-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Dustin Peterson, at #18, is the highest ranked Carolina Leaguer.

In the Southern League, Mallex Smith came in at #16 and Tyrell Jenkins at #20.

Wisler was #17 in the IL top 20 (Peraza was only #14).

Thanks for the scoop!

smootness
10-01-2015, 12:27 PM
It's interesting to me that they have Mateo above Albies. Mateo is already 20 and didn't put up great numbers in A-ball this year. He does steal a ton of bases, so I guess that's where he separates himself. Does anybody know anything about his defense? The only thing I see is BR's range factor, and Albies' was actually higher this year.

50PoundHead
10-01-2015, 12:49 PM
I think this is precisely why people are high on him, though. Usually plate discipline is the toughest thing for a prospect to develop, and he already has it. He's also a big guy and people like his swing, so most predict the power will come along. This happens with a lot of young guys, which is why it's more important at that age a lot of times to read scouting reports than to simply look at the numbers.

For the record, though, I don't think most Braves fans have huge expectations for him. I think he has a pretty good chance to develop into a good LF, a guy who doesn't hurt you defensively out there and is able to put up something like .270/.370/.420 offensively with 15-20 HR.

I get some of that (and I think that is the soft underbelly of the variant of the Moneyball approach as preached by Michael Lewis), but while his plate discipline is good, his contact rate is bad. If he would have hit 20 HRs in the SALLY, it would be one thing, but he didn't. I get that he's a work in progress and I'm hopeful he takes the next step. Carolina League is a notoriously tough league for hitters, so it will probably be as much about scouting reports as statistics for him next year.

Julio3000
10-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I think Kelly Johnson is a reasonable comp for Braxton. I don't necessarily think that's his ceiling, because I think Braxton has a quicker bat and a more compact swing than Kelly, but KJ showed his pop earlier than Braxton has. But, superficially…good plate discipline, a lot of Ks, pretty left-handed swing, and no defensive chops.

I saw Mateo and Albies each a few times this season. I wouldn't rank Mateo ahead of Albies. The SBs aren't super-impressive in low-A. Mateo looks the part a little more, and I think is getting credit for that. Mateo may be more likely to stick at shortstop in the big leagues, but Ozzie's hit tool is much more impressive, and he's already steadier defensively than Mateo. I'd put both Guerra and Ozzie ahead of Mateo.

[disclaimer: I don't know **** about ****.]

cajunrevenge
10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Kind of an odd comment from BA. If Yepez doesn't play 1B, how does he get ABs. DH? Then he doesn't spend any time in the field. If Riley starts the season on a tear and ends up in Carolina by mid-season, could Yepez end up back at 3B in Rome?

Appy league guy seems higher on Riley and Yepez than the GCL guy. Riley was ranked ahead of Cameron in Appy league and behind him in GCL list. GCL guy addresses this but its pretty much just 2 people with different opinions. Ben Badler did the GCL list and I believe he does a lot of the Braves lists for BA so I tend to favor his opinion. Appy league guy I have never head of.

dave (grayson, ga): Any support for the third 17 year old Danville Brave, Juan Yepez, making the list?

Hudson Belinsky: He was very close. Definitely has some juice in the bat and came on strong late in the summer. You can dream on the bat and the power. The move to first base puts more pressure on his offense, obviously, but he was 17 and in a non-complex league.

nsacpi
10-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I think Badler is underestimating what Yepez did as a 17-year old.

.291/324/.466 in 111 Appy League plate appearances (he hit .425 in his last 10 games!)

.306/.402/449 in 117 GCL plate appearances

He'll probably end up playing first or a mediocre corner outfield. But the bat has a chance to be something special.

50PoundHead
10-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I think Badler is underestimating what Yepez did as a 17-year old.

.291/324/.466 in 111 Appy League plate appearances (he hit .425 in his last 10 games!)

.306/.402/449 in 117 GCL plate appearances

He'll probably end up playing first or a mediocre corner outfield. But the bat has a chance to be something special.

Add to that he completely leapfrogged the DSL and it becomes even more impressive.

nsacpi
10-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Add to that he completely leapfrogged the DSL and it becomes even more impressive.

I was also impressed by the fact he started out slowly in both the GCL and Appy League and adjusted in a matter of weeks to the level of competition.

cajunrevenge
10-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Tim (AZ): Juan Yepez played extremely well in the GCL. In my opinion, he outplayed Austin Riley. Why was he left off the list?
Ben Badler: Based on the way Yepez performed (both in the GCL and the Appy League) and his age, I figured he would get more support, but everyone I talked to was lukewarm at best on him, so I was surprised. He makes contact and projects to hit a lot of doubles more so than big power, and for someone who’s already physically advanced and has already moved over to first base, that led to a lot of reviews of him as more of a solid prospect than a standout guy. Yepez is still a guy to watch and he outperformed a lot of expectations as an amateur (other than defensively), but the same scouts came away excited about Riley and Acuna just didn’t have the same reactions from seeing Yepez on the same teams.

blueagleace1
10-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I think Kelly Johnson is a reasonable comp for Braxton. I don't necessarily think that's his ceiling, because I think Braxton has a quicker bat and a more compact swing than Kelly, but KJ showed his pop earlier than Braxton has. But, superficially…good plate discipline, a lot of Ks, pretty left-handed swing, and no defensive chops.

I saw Mateo and Albies each a few times this season. I wouldn't rank Mateo ahead of Albies. The SBs aren't super-impressive in low-A. Mateo looks the part a little more, and I think is getting credit for that. Mateo may be more likely to stick at shortstop in the big leagues, but Ozzie's hit tool is much more impressive, and he's already steadier defensively than Mateo. I'd put both Guerra and Ozzie ahead of Mateo.

[disclaimer: I don't know **** about ****.]

I also think Nick Swisher (in his prime) is a good comparison. Obviously Davidson isn't a switch-hitter but numbers wise and defensively I think they'll be similar.

nsacpi
10-01-2015, 06:18 PM
I also think Nick Swisher (in his prime) is a good comparison. Obviously Davidson isn't a switch-hitter but numbers wise and defensively I think they'll be similar.

Swisher as a passable centerfielder for a couple of seasons with the A's.