PDA

View Full Version : Uggla needs to sit...

BlackwaterPark
08-11-2013, 10:56 AM
1-20 this week...

4-52 last two weeks...

13-89 last month...

jpack1
08-11-2013, 11:00 AM
He needs to sit. He is really the only guy who just hasn't hit all year. Obviously hitting. 188. Never understood why he gets a pass.

BlackwaterPark
08-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Is Pastor still in the bigs? I dont understand why he or someone else hasnt gotten some sort of shot...

I just think he needs to go on the 15 day DL and get his mind right

nsacpi
08-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Pastornicky is in AAA. He was out for about a week in late July/early August with an injury, and hasn't been hitting since his return.

weso1
08-11-2013, 11:35 AM
More like Uggla need to git...

Jay212033
08-11-2013, 01:01 PM
One could only wish!

JohnAdcox
08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Is Pastor still in the bigs? I dont understand why he or someone else hasnt gotten some sort of shot...

I just think he needs to go on the 15 day DL and get his mind right

You know that's only 15 days, right?

JCarbo76
08-11-2013, 08:28 PM
He needs to sit. He is really the only guy who just hasn't hit all year. Obviously hitting. 188. Never understood why he gets a pass.

1. Only 6 players in the NL have hit more homers than Uggla
2. Only 3 players have walked more

These two things have great value, despite his awful batting average.

yeezus
08-11-2013, 09:21 PM

How many stats is he at or near the bottom?

cajunrevenge
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Uggla is not as bad as everyone thinks. Atleast he whiffs and walks so much that he is a good bet to help drive the starters pitch count up. He draws enough walks to not be a real black hole in the lineup and he can still hit a mistake pitch for a homer. Now if he didnt walk a ton and he was a singles hitter, then there would be a serious problem.

BravesBlock
08-11-2013, 09:40 PM
His home run production along with steady defense is his saving grace. If his power begins to drop off then he will be toast. Flamed beyond belief on this board. Will be interesting to see if the braves try to package him with one of Beachy, Medlin or Wood (one of which WILL BE traded this off season). My guess is he stays for the duration of his contract and then moves on to another team.

The Chosen One
08-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Who wants to make a wager, Uggla has a multi-hit game or Janish gets a hit? Which will come first.

NinersSBChamps
08-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Pena getting hurt really put a damper on the middle infield spots. We have no options aside from Uggla or Janish at this point. If Pastor isn't hitting in AAA then he is no good either.

holden
08-11-2013, 11:39 PM
BATTING AVERAGE IS EVERYTHING

cajunrevenge
08-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Who wants to make a wager, Uggla has a multi-hit game or Janish gets a hit? Which will come first.

I think its more likely Uggla has a multi hit game before Janish gets his next at bat.

zbhargrove
08-12-2013, 12:35 AM
How many stats is he at or near the bottom?

Less than BJ

Runnin
08-12-2013, 12:52 AM

We'll be glad to have Uggla's bat in the post season. He can do damage.

nsacpi
08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
The month-to-month ups and downs can be misleading. Here is the overall trend the last few years in terms of OPS:

2010 .877 (career best, fifth of five consecutive seasons over .800)
2011 .764
2012 .732
2013 .699

Even with the decline the Braves rank 18 in WAR from the second base position. Not bad, but not great either, especially considering Dan's salary.

I imagine Pastornicky will get called up in September. It might be worth giving him 2 or 3 games a week at second.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 07:55 AM

This. His average is brutal, thats obvious, but he is still walking and hitting HRs. Wish he would do more, but it is what it is.

Bravephoton
08-12-2013, 07:59 AM
We'll be glad to have Uggla's bat in the post season. He can do damage.

Or we will want to choke him for not moving a runner over to third with the game on the line because he swings for the fence every AB.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Or we will want to choke him for not moving a runner over to third with the game on the line because he swings for the fence every AB.

Regular season is different than the postseason. When Dan makes a conscious effort to do something besides hit a HR, he usually gets hot. IDK why he doesnt do it more often. Thats the frustrating part. My point though is that ive always felt like Dan would be a great postseason hitter. BJ as well. Guys that we know are good and have talent, but are stubborn I reckon.

50PoundHead
08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
I always get a kick out of this discussion. People can WAR and 3-outcome Uggla to death, but he's not that good of a baseball player and he is woefully overpaid, especially on a team that supposedly has budget constraints. He's not an athletic guy and a lot of those guys simply fall off the table in terms of production at some point and I think we are witnessing that. We're stuck with him, because I don't see another team in baseball that is willing to be saddled with that contract.

He'll have his month stretch when he's a world beater, but he's pretty much a rented mule the rest of the season.

BravesfanMike
08-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Sadly he brings nothing to the table except an occasional HR. If he could at least play defense you could make a case for him.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Sadly he brings nothing to the table except an occasional HR. If he could at least play defense you could make a case for him.

Dan, to me, is one of those guys that I dont mind in the everyday lineup, but wouldnt be pissed if we got rid of him either.

zitothebrave
08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Uggla has sucked lately, no denying that, but I can't think of a player who people will turn on faster than Dan. He's been slightly below average as a hitter on the season and above average for a 2B He's certainly not very good, But he's also not the worst. And people don't have the same general hate for Gattis who's been worse over the last 30 days or Bossman who's been worse over the season as a whole. Uggla seems to catch the most ****, probably cause of his salary. Not the biggest fan of him, but he is the kind of guy who can surprisingly come to a team's aid in the playoffs like Cody Ross did for the giants.

thethe
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Uggla is nothing like Ross. Can't wait till he is gone.

That being said, I root for him every time he steps up to the plate.

JohnAdcox
08-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Uggla is nothing like Ross. Can't wait till he is gone.

That being said, I root for him every time he steps up to the plate.

Nicely put.

BlackwaterPark
08-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I was probably one of the most excited people in the world when Dan became a Brave, but as others have said, it is his refusal to change his approach that really bothers me.

emk418
08-12-2013, 03:40 PM
I always get a kick out of this discussion. People can WAR and 3-outcome Uggla to death, but he's not that good of a baseball player and he is woefully overpaid, especially on a team that supposedly has budget constraints. He's not an athletic guy and a lot of those guys simply fall off the table in terms of production at some point and I think we are witnessing that. We're stuck with him, because I don't see another team in baseball that is willing to be saddled with that contract.

He'll have his month stretch when he's a world beater, but he's pretty much a rented mule the rest of the season.

When was the last time he even had that torrid month stretch that he used to? April of last season?

gilesfan
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
When was the last time he even had that torrid month stretch that he used to? April of last season?

You mean like hit over .200?

50PoundHead
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Well, he hung up an .847 OPS this past June. That's not knocking them dead, but it's pretty solid.