PDA

View Full Version : Possible Middle Infielder Trade Candidates

tvsportscaster
08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Granted this is unscientific and not knowing, who's cleared waivers or who's available, but I went through all the non contenders and looked at potential middle infielders as possible acquisitions for the Braves. This is regardless of what side of the plate they hit from and most of these can play 2B, SS, and 3B, not all can but most.

AL East
Blue Jays
Maicer Itzturis
Emilio Bonaficio

AL Central
White Sox
Conor Gillapsie

AL West
Angels
Erik Aybar(Unlikely)

NL East
Phillies
Kevin Frandsen

Marlins
Placido Polanco (Can't Play SS)

NL Central
Cubs
Cody Ransom
Luis Valbuena

Brewers
Yuniesky Betancourt

NL West
Jonathan Herrera (Could be a perfect fit if available, not likely though)

There could be some others I might be missing and welcome other suggestions.
Another potential candidate Jamey Carroll was just traded to Kansas City.

skidlee
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
I would have liked to get Carroll myself.

What about Johnny Giavotella? Would he get to the Braves or pass through waivers?

Only other guy I can find is Jeff Keppinger

Garmel
08-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Michael Young wouldn't be bad either. He also has passed through waivers already. Only bad thing is would be his cost which would be about 2 million for the rest of the year.

Bye Week
08-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Get Polanco and start him at 2B.:pimp:

50PoundHead
08-12-2013, 08:24 AM
I mentioned Herrera the other day in a thread. It seems he'd be the perfect fit. Maicer Izturis would be my next choice. Valbuena doesn't play a lot of SS anymore, but he's probably the best bat in the bunch.

Glad we didn't get Carroll. He looked terrible up here in Minnesota this summer.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Id also love to see us go after Michael Young. I dont know what the price would be, but a guy who would help us out incase Dan or CJ struggles.

Braves1976
08-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Michael Young makes no sense for us, he's a righty and terrible defensively at third. He also cannot play second or short at all. That said, someone like Irving Falú might be available. A lot of those others wouldn't clear waivers, IMO. I am not even sure if Irving would either.

Carroll might've been our best shot of those that can play second, short and third. But he's off the table now after being traded to KC. However, hopefully that makes Irving Falú available because I like him at third. He also hit well last year with the Royals.

Braves1976
08-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I mentioned Herrera the other day in a thread. It seems he'd be the perfect fit. Maicer Izturis would be my next choice. Valbuena doesn't play a lot of SS anymore, but he's probably the best bat in the bunch.

I doubt any of those three clear waivers, but if any do I'd like them too. We won't have as much to pick from now that those traded need to clear waivers.

50PoundHead
08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Agreed. Lots of waiver games now. Contenders will claim guys to keep them away from other contenders.

nsacpi
08-12-2013, 10:01 AM
When considering who we might pick up, there are three relevant questions:

1) If Simmons were to go down, would the candidate be preferred to current in-house alternatives

2) If Chris Johnson were to go down, would the candidate be preferred to in-house alternatives

3) If Uggla goes down or continues to slump severely, would the candidate be preferred to in-house alternatives

In thinking about these questions, it occurs to me that our biggest vulnerability in the infield that might be addressed by an acquisition is Chris Johnson going down. The loss of Pena and trade of Francisco have really reduced our depth behind Johnson. It might explain why Pastornicky made a rare start at third in Gwinnett last week.

Any late needs are going to be strictly positional. We don't have issues as far as pinch hitting goes. Reed Johnson, Gattis, Terdoslavich and Schafer have the pinch hitting part taken care of. I don't see a late acquisition improving on those four as far a pinch hitting goes.

Dunit24
08-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah there is no doubt Wren is going to have to get someone via a trade. I dont want Pastornicky starting at SS or 3B. Janish as well. Thats why they pay Wren the big bucks. Hes no dumby and I dont think there is any doubt he will make a move or two.

Braves1976
08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
When considering who we might pick up, there are three relevant questions:

1) If Simmons were to go down, would the candidate be preferred to current in-house alternatives

2) If Chris Johnson were to go down, would the candidate be preferred to in-house alternatives

3) If Uggla goes down or continues to slump severely, would the candidate be preferred to in-house alternatives

In thinking about these questions, it occurs to me that our biggest vulnerability in the infield that might be addressed by an acquisition is Chris Johnson going down. The loss of Pena and trade of Francisco have really reduced our depth behind Johnson. It might explain why Pastornicky made a rare start at third in Gwinnett last week.

Any late needs are going to be strictly positional. We don't have issues as far as pinch hitting. Johnson, Gattis, Terdoslavich and Schafer have the pinch hitting part taken care of. I don't see a late acquisition improving on those four as far a pinch hitting goes.

Good points, though I'd be more concerned over losing Simmons. Janish is very good defensively, but he cannot cover for others like Simmons does. Simmons is a huge reason we're in first, IMO. It goes to show how important the shortstop position is (and how great a season he's having defensively).

That said, I agree that we need a better option behind all three of them (Uggla, Simmons and CJ). I just don't see much out there that will likely clear waivers. This is why I was scanning the minors and suggested someone like Irving Falú. As you know, when looking for a replacement for Simmons last year after his injury Janish wasn't a name brought up. It was mainly those in the Majors in the rumors. Maybe we trade for someone with Major League experience currently in the minors again. If so Irving Falú would be a possible candidate.

nsacpi
08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
The point I would make about short is if Simmons goes down the Braves are very likely to emphasize defense in any potential replacement. They would imo prefer Janish than someone like Jamey Carroll.

Braves1976
08-12-2013, 10:29 AM
The point I would make about short is if Simmons goes down the Braves are very likely to emphasize defense in any potential replacement. They would imo prefer Janish than someone like Jamey Carroll.

I agree, I was just saying as good as Janish is at short defensively. He's still cannot cover for the others like Simmons can. But neither can anyone else available either.

To sum it up, I was just pointing out why I'd be more afraid of losing Simmons. That's all.

I'd hate to lose either one of them given our back-up options of course.

nsacpi
08-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I agree, I was just saying as good as Janish is at short defensively. He's still cannot cover for the others like Simmons can. But neither can anyone else available either.

To sum it up, I was just pointing out why I'd be more afraid of losing Simmons. That's all.

I'd hate to lose either one of them given our back-up options of course.

Oh I agree Simmons would be a bigger loss than Chris Johnson. My point though was about whether we are more likely to be able to upgrade depth at short or depth at third. If Johnson goes down, there are alternatives out there that wouldn't be too hard to acquire that would be preferable to what we have in-house.

Braves1976
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh I agree Simmons would be a bigger loss than Chris Johnson. My point though was about whether we are more likely to be able to upgrade depth at short or depth at third. If Johnson goes down, there are alternatives out there that wouldn't be too hard to acquire that would be preferable to what we have in-house.

I agree. However, I don't expect options like Valbuena to clear waivers. But someone like Placido Polanco might do so. I don't expect Miami to do us any favors however.

AUTiger7222
08-12-2013, 12:26 PM
We wouldn't have the waiver issue if MLB would get smart and moving the trading deadline back to August 15th. That would be perfect now that their are 2 WC spots and more teams in contention on July 31st. Those extra couple of weeks would allow more teams to become sellers and put the spice back in the trading deadline. The trading deadline the last 2 years has been pretty quiet compared to other years.