PDA

View Full Version : Rotation '16

msstate7
12-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Are we set or will we pursue another veteran starter?

Teheran
Wisler
Norris
2 of folty/Perez/Blair/banuelos/Jenkins

Carp
12-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I'd really like to bring in Henderson Alvarez and see if he can regain his previous form. Or Mat Latos.

nsacpi
12-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Teheran
Wisler
Norris

I would guess

Teheran
Wisler
Norris
1 of Perez/Folty/Blair (most likely Perez)
1 FA along the lines of Latos/Lohse/Fister

AAA rotation would be: Folty, Blair, Jenkins, Weber, Gant

AA rotation would be: Newcomb, Sims, Ellis, Bird, Thurman

50PoundHead
12-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I think I'm going to cry if I ever see Williams Perez start another major league game for the Braves.

Tapate50
12-09-2015, 08:14 AM
I think I'm going to cry if I ever see Williams Perez start another major league game for the Braves.

It is a beautiful story.

50PoundHead
12-09-2015, 08:17 AM
It is a beautiful story.

Those won't be tears of joy coming from my ducts.

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 09:23 AM
I would start two of the kids. If you think those guys are going to be starters in17 then you need to get them broken in this year.

I think they'll sign another vet looking for a pillow deal. Then hope to flip Norris and the other get at the deadline and bring up kids for end of year auditions.

I'd like fister but it would depend on the cost.

chop2chip
12-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Teheran
Wisler
Norris
I would like to see sign another Norris type so we can justify protecting the service time of a Blair/Jenkins coming out of ST this year.

Latos, Alvarez, Minor, etc. seem like solid buy low candidates that we could use and maybe move at the deadline if they prove to be healthy.

chop2chip
12-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Bartolo makes a lot of sense as well as a stop gap.

UNCBlue012
12-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I agree. Bartolo makes a lot whole lot of sense. I'd love to sign Kazmir, but I don't know if it would make sense with our glut of young guys being ready over the next two years.

dak
12-09-2015, 09:42 AM

UNCBlue012
12-09-2015, 09:44 AM

There we go! This trade has changed my mind so much that it's not even funny. I want to compete this year, but I actually have hope for next year and I sure as hell do for the 2018 year.

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Last year for folty to show he's a starter.

I'm in on vets for 1 year deals. Maybe 2. Not sure who is out there I'd really want for more than a yr.

emk418
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
I'd really like to bring in Henderson Alvarez and see if he can regain his previous form. Or Mat Latos.

Henderson Alvarez is absolutely the type of guy we should take a shot on. But he might get a little pricey. As for internal options, we HAVE TO roll with the inconcisistency of Folty. He has way too much upside to just move to the pen when we're not competitive. Let him take his licks all of 2016 in the major league rotation. If he doesn't show growth, then move him to the pen in 2017

Teheran, Wisler, Norris, Folty should be locks. Then Blair, Banuelos, Perez, Jenkins battle it out for the 5th.

bravesfanMatt
12-09-2015, 10:29 AM
here is my take.. if Braves are looking to add another vet pitcher, then I think Julio will be traded. The FO smells blood and are now circling..

But I seriously doubt they cast Perez and Weber to the side in a non competitive year. I think they are going to fire sale one last time at the deadline, so might as well build value where you can. I think the Pen will be Viz/Withrow/JJ/Grilli/Winkler/Krol/(folty/manBan) to start then Simmons may join in June.. Burawa and Marksberry will be in AAA... Cunniff and McKrappy will be cut.
Then let Julio or FA starter/ Norris/Wisler have top 3 spots.. ManBan/Folty/Weber/Perez battle for the last two spots. honestly think ManBan goes to pen this year to make sure his arm is good... then one of Weber or Perez goes to AAA to build whatever value he can.

here are our notable pitchers..
STARTERS..............................pen
Norris............................................ Viz
Julio............................................. ..Simmons
Wisler............................................ Withrow
Perez............................................. .Grilli
Folty............................................. .Winkler
Weber............................................. JJ
ManBan...........................................K rol
.................................................. ....(Folty/Man/Ban)

AAA
Jason Hursh
Blair
Sims
Newcomb
Jenkins

AA
Steve Janas
Ellis
John Gant
Andrew Thurman
Zach Bird

AA and below
Seth Webster
Brandon Barker
Yean Carlos Gil
Max Povse
Rob Whalen
Matt Bywater
Touki
Ricardo Sanchez
Caleb Beech
Allard
Luis Gamez
Mike soroka
Wes Parson
matt Withrow
Patrick Weigel
Josh Graham
Ryan Lawlor

50PoundHead
12-09-2015, 10:36 AM
here is my take.. if Braves are looking to add another vet pitcher, then I think Julio will be traded. The FO smells blood and are now circling..

But I seriously doubt they cast Perez and Weber to the side in a non competitive year. I think they are going to fire sale one last time at the deadline, so might as well build value where you can. I think the Pen will be Viz/Withrow/JJ/Grilli/Winkler/Krol/(folty/manBan) to start then Simmons may join in June.. Burawa and Marksberry will be in AAA... Cunniff and McKrappy will be cut.
Then let Julio or FA starter/ Norris/Wisler have top 3 spots.. ManBan/Folty/Weber/Perez battle for the last two spots. honestly think ManBan goes to pen this year to make sure his arm is good... then one of Weber or Perez goes to AAA to build whatever value he can.

STARTERS pen
Norris Viz
Julio Simmons
Wisler Withrow
Perez Grilli
Folty Winkler
Weber JJ
ManBan Krol
(Folty/Man/Ban)

AAA
Jason Hursh
Blair
Sims
Newcomb
Jenkins

AA
Steve Janas
Ellis
John Gant
Andrew Thurman
Zach Bird

AA and below
Seth Webster
Brandon Barker
Yean Carlos Gil
Max Povse
Rob Whalen
Matt Bywater
Touki
Ricardo Sanchez
Caleb Beech
Allard
Luis Gamez
Mike soroka
Wes Parson
matt Withrow
Patrick Weigel
Josh Graham
Ryan Lawlor

That's a good synopsis. Hursh is in the bullpen now, so we'll see how that goes. McKirahan can go to AAA this year so if he's not DFA'd, my guess is he'll be in the mix with Marksberry, Krol, and another camp arm or two as LHP possibilities in the bullpen. I think the bullpen is going to be wide open in spring training.

Weber and Perez won't be cast aside, but they could be candidates for outright assignment after spring training if any of the NRIs make the 25-man roster and 40-man roster space is needed. Same goes for Cunniff.

Lots of depth in the lower reaches of the system and you forgot Sobotka.

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

AAA
Jason Hursh
Blair
Sims
Newcomb
Jenkins

AA
Steve Janas
Ellis
John Gant
Andrew Thurman
Zach Bird

AA and below
Seth Webster
Brandon Barker
Yean Carlos Gil
Max Povse
Rob Whalen
Matt Bywater
Touki
Ricardo Sanchez
Caleb Beech
Allard
Luis Gamez
Mike soroka
Wes Parson
matt Withrow
Patrick Weigel
Josh Graham
Ryan Lawlor

I could see moving Tehran but it would need to be close to a Miller deal. I'd want a rh hitting controllable position player who is thought to be ready this yr or played in mlb.

That aaa rotation looks sick

I am thinking Norris will be a 5th starter. Do ppl thInk he's going to be good?

I'd consider overpaying for a free agent vet to keep the deal to 1 yr. Hope to flip that guy at deadline for depth to prepare for a blockbuster trade if it comes up.

I'd like to have at least one of the aaa guys start the second half of the year for 17

Chico
12-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Norris, Wisler, and ManBan (Who I believe is out of options) are the 3 I see in the rotation now. Outside of that who the heck knows. I don't think we're finished by any means.

UNCBlue012
12-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I could see moving Tehran but it would need to be close to a Miller deal. I'd want a rh hitting controllable position player who is thought to be ready this yr or played in mlb.

That aaa rotation looks sick

I am thinking Norris will be a 5th starter. Do ppl thInk he's going to be good?

I'd consider overpaying for a free agent vet to keep the deal to 1 yr. Hope to flip that guy at deadline for depth to prepare for a blockbuster trade if it comes up.

I'd like to have at least one of the aaa guys start the second half of the year for 17

I would love to keep Teheran personally, but a good deal would change it. That being said, even though he SHOULD (I think he's better than Miller personally), he won't get as much right now.

Hudson2
12-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd trade Teheran only if we got back a middle of the order type of young hitter. Soler fits that description. I wouldn't mind somebody like Meadows from Pittsburg, he's a young stud cf'er will pop. Fister and Latos would be ideal on a 1 year deal to build some value. As far as Folty goes, he has to be given the 5th spot all year to sink or swim.

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I would love to keep Teheran personally, but a good deal would change it. That being said, even though he SHOULD (I think he's better than Miller personally), he won't get as much right now.

Agree. Imagine if he's back to himself at the deadline and the dodgers are fighting for a spot....

Maybe they give up Urias and a position prospect in aa plus take markakis.

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 10:54 AM
I'd trade Teheran only if we got back a middle of the order type of young hitter. Soler fits that description. I wouldn't mind somebody like Meadows from Pittsburg, he's a young stud cf'er will pop. Fister and Latos would be ideal on a 1 year deal to build some value. As far as Folty goes, he has to be given the 5th spot all year to sink or swim.

Agree

Folty has to start all yr. last shot. If he can't do it then him and viz are power arms in pen for 17

UNCBlue012
12-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Agree. Imagine if he's back to himself at the deadline and the dodgers are fighting for a spot....

Maybe they give up Urias and a position prospect in aa plus take markakis.

Urias and Barnes, maybe? I'll fly Julio (one of my top guys... again) to Los Angeles.

msstate7
12-09-2015, 10:55 AM

AAA
Jason Hursh
Blair
Sims
Newcomb
Jenkins

AA
Steve Janas
Ellis
John Gant
Andrew Thurman
Zach Bird

AA and below
Seth Webster
Brandon Barker
Yean Carlos Gil
Max Povse
Rob Whalen
Matt Bywater
Touki
Ricardo Sanchez
Caleb Beech
Allard
Luis Gamez
Mike soroka
Wes Parson
matt Withrow
Patrick Weigel
Josh Graham
Ryan Lawlor

Fried?

Russ2dollas
12-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Fried?

Fried I think starts at aa. We all think he's at least two yrs in minors before thinking about mlb right?

bravesfanMatt
12-09-2015, 10:57 AM

completely agree on Folty and I like Fister to bounce back.. if we trade Julio, I would want Fister to get a deal.. then promptly traded at the deadline for a nice return..

bravesfanMatt
12-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Fried?

WOW!!! I can't believe I forgot him. good catch. AA IMO..

Horsehide Harry
12-09-2015, 11:56 AM

I think the Braves could also make a trade where they take on a contract to get talent back. Something like Garza and Phillips from the Brewers for Jenkins and CB would be what I would explore. The Brewers want Garza gone, (he's owed $12.5M for 16 and 17 with a vesting option/club option at $13M for 18) and they have a ton of outfielders already and could part with Phillips. However, that trade would probably require the Braves to move Markakis' money.

Horsehide Harry
12-09-2015, 12:02 PM
IF I could do the Brewers trade that I outlined above (or something similar), and trade Markakis, then I would sign Latos as well for a year with an option and either trade Teheran now if I could get something good enough or look to trade one or all of Teheran, Garza, Latos, Norris at the deadline.

My opening day rotation would be: Teheran (if still here), Latos, Norris, Garza, Wisler

If Teheran is gone then: Latos, Norris, Garza, Wisler, ManBan or Perez

AAA: Blair, Newcomb, Sims, Folty, ManBan/Perez

rico43
12-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Another veteran might be added, but I would be happy enough to stand pat with Teheran, Wisler, Norris, Newcomb, and Perez/Blair.

Anyone remember Ellis? But AAA would likely be ManBan, Sims, Folty, Gant, and Blair/Jenkins.

50PoundHead
12-09-2015, 02:13 PM
I think the Braves could also make a trade where they take on a contract to get talent back. Something like Garza and Phillips from the Brewers for Jenkins and CB would be what I would explore. The Brewers want Garza gone, (he's owed $12.5M for 16 and 17 with a vesting option/club option at $13M for 18) and they have a ton of outfielders already and could part with Phillips. However, that trade would probably require the Braves to move Markakis' money.

You keep bringing up Garza, but the guy is a total headcase and a terrible clubhouse presence. I think they threw a parade in the Twins' office when they unloaded him.

bravesfanMatt
12-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Another veteran might be added, but I would be happy enough to stand pat with Teheran, Wisler, Norris, Newcomb, and Perez/Blair.

Anyone remember Ellis? But AAA would likely be ManBan, Sims, Folty, Gant, and Blair/Jenkins.

ManBan out of options so rotation/pen/ or dealt..

Enscheff
12-09-2015, 02:22 PM
I would like to see the Braves sign Latos and go with

Teheran
Latos
Norris
Wisler
Blair/Perez/Folty/Jenkins/ManBan

I also agree this is the make or break year for Folty. He either shows he can be a starter, or he is moved to the BP.

bravesfanforlife88
12-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Teheran
Wisler
Norris
Free agent/Trade
Folty/Jenkins/ManBan/Perez

I would start the year with the above rotation. I would really like the Free agent/Trade starter to be left handed, and i'm not sold on Minor....eventually by the end of the year, you should have Newcomb/Jenkins/Ellis/etc. fighting for a rotation spot

Enscheff
12-09-2015, 02:27 PM
WOW!!! I can't believe I forgot him. good catch. AA IMO..

Considering he has thrown 124 innings at low A, he will probably start in low or high A with a 75-100 inning limit. If all goes well he could be in AA the next year with a 150-175 inning limit. After that he should be ready for AAA/MLB depending on needs of the club and his performance.

Horsehide Harry
12-09-2015, 02:43 PM
You keep bringing up Garza, but the guy is a total headcase and a terrible clubhouse presence. I think they threw a parade in the Twins' office when they unloaded him.

That's the whole point. I don't WANT him. I want Phillips and I would be willing to take the headcase and his money to get him since 2016 is a wash anyway.

I think everyone focuses in on having a guy that does things the right way. But, I think it can be equally effective, if handled correctly by management, to have a guy who does things the wrong way as an example for young players of what not to do.

emk418
12-09-2015, 04:05 PM
That's the whole point. I don't WANT him. I want Phillips and I would be willing to take the headcase and his money to get him since 2016 is a wash anyway.

I think everyone focuses in on having a guy that does things the right way. But, I think it can be equally effective, if handled correctly by management, to have a guy who does things the wrong way as an example for young players of what not to do.

The Brewers are going young and building with top young talent. They're not going to trade an elite prospect in Phillips to clear Garza

smootness
12-09-2015, 04:10 PM
The Brewers are going young and building with top young talent. They're not going to trade an elite prospect in Phillips to clear Garza

Agreed. He was the main piece in selling Gomez, so it doesn't make sense to basically trade Gomez just so you can then dump Garza.

dak
12-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Just listened to John Hart radio interview and he talked about adding a FA SP. Here's how I'd paraphrase what he said . . . They're considering a value starter on a one year deal that could gravitate back to the bullpen when one of the young guys is ready. So, they're aiming pretty low in other words.

bravesfanforlife88
12-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Just listened to John Hart radio interview and he talked about adding a FA SP. Here's how I'd paraphrase what he said . . . They're considering a value starter on a one year deal that could gravitate back to the bullpen when one of the young guys is ready. So, they're aiming pretty low in other words.

Sounds like a Bartolo Colon type starter.....the food bill for the clubhouse managers could be getting ready to reach new heights :Bowman:

smootness
12-09-2015, 04:16 PM

And they should be. We should not be trying to throw out anywhere near the sort of money it takes in this market to get any kind of quality SP.

bravesfanMatt
12-09-2015, 04:19 PM
And they should be. We should not be trying to throw out anywhere near the sort of money it takes in this market to get any kind of quality SP.

Amen.. we are collecting assets.. not spending them..

Enscheff
12-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Agreed, but I think Latos is a buy-low asset. He is going to be 28, and if he can bounce back to a 3 WAR pitcher he will be extremely valuable at the deadline, or given a QO. I was dead wrong about Masterson last offseason though, so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if the Braves don't take a shot on him since he will probably cost upwards of $10M.

Heyward
12-09-2015, 05:34 PM

Cliff Lee would be an interesting buy low deal.

Carp
12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Lee wants to sign with a contender. I see the Orioles or Pirates ending up with him

jcc03004
12-09-2015, 06:06 PM

I'd bring Alvarez in, in a heartbeat.